Speaker 1: Tired of the everyday grind, ever dream of a life of romantic adventure. I want to get away from it all.
Speaker 2: We offer you.
Speaker 3: Escape Escape Design to free you from the four walls of today for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen, we present a story of two boys and the dreadful game which they play. You might have read about it in your newspaper.
Speaker 4: It might have happened in.
Speaker 1: Your town, and if it did, it might never happen again.
Speaker 5: So listen now, as this gate brings you Anthony Ellison's terrifying play the game.
Speaker 2: There were two of them. They stood in the corner of Man and Nil, leaning back against the walls. In the look some are some war, bringing to them the extringeon over a salt tar, and the crack of the sidewalk. It was two o'clock by the hands of the jeweler's clock a few doors down the street, and there was a two o'clock, quite innoc to me at first, but the dreadful game began.
Speaker 6: Well you wanna do then?
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 6: You. I don't well, get out a couple of games of Wing pok.
Speaker 7: You got to go.
Speaker 6: Forty cents. We could then and uh no, I.
Speaker 2: Don't feel like it.
Speaker 6: Okay, hey, look at shoot and pull? What do matter?
Speaker 8: You always wanna play games?
Speaker 4: Kids?
Speaker 2: Stuff?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 8: Something? What h feel like getting drunks?
Speaker 7: He's a kid? You not kidding?
Speaker 6: He can kid?
Speaker 4: What do you wanna get drunk for?
Speaker 5: For fun?
Speaker 7: He has some fun?
Speaker 6: My folks wanna be back layer at night?
Speaker 7: Well, uh, not me, boy, not me.
Speaker 6: I can get hold of a bottle, not me, boy, chickens that three? Okay?
Speaker 5: So on.
Speaker 4: He rall? Were there?
Speaker 5: Rall o kiddings?
Speaker 6: What do you wanna do that for?
Speaker 2: You got any better ideas?
Speaker 4: What to do?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 6: But I don't care.
Speaker 2: I see you.
Speaker 7: You know what it happened.
Speaker 8: If they ever find an hour, they won't find I.
Speaker 6: You can stay over my house tonight.
Speaker 5: Call it your folks.
Speaker 6: Nobody don't know. It's crazy, sorr it is uh, they don't care. On when I do something different when our kids maybe you are maybe you need a couple of drinks to go.
Speaker 7: Up big man. And I'm two weeks lader than you.
Speaker 6: Not up here boy, not up here?
Speaker 7: Ah next to you?
Speaker 2: And they walked slowly, carrying the idea to a white house with a gray trimd a house well lived in, empty and now but waiting, and the boys went in upstairs into a room papered with ships and tent and signed map. One read and disappeared for a few minutes. The other tried to become interested in the book of Fighting Ships. He was afraid of what was to come, knowing why and not quite knowing.
Speaker 6: At your fire now the gardener hid it in the woods, yet I found it a couple of weeks ago. Hit it somewhere else to go up at that factory.
Speaker 7: I don't like it.
Speaker 6: I don't care straight. Sure water occasion was about you, No water for me, same thing, So now we'll talk.
Speaker 2: They drank. They didn't like it, but they'd started the game, and they couldn't stop. The small clock with them, our sub piece ticked about them. The eyes of the bird metronomically switching side the side, and the car passed occasionally, and there was a tension until the sound of tire and engines faded away. It didn't take too long for the wants to grow, and the eyes had become hot. The tongue loose.
Speaker 6: Thanks boy, not bad, huh, you're pretty good, Pretty good boy. The lame as a girl. Wouldn't be bad having her up here now, huh, yeah, it wouldn't be bad. Can you ever take her out a couple times at bay? Alright?
Speaker 8: Huh next?
Speaker 6: No, not much? Oh I thought you two were like that.
Speaker 8: That's what I heard last time.
Speaker 6: You too, you know, you know what's the matter with? You can what your thoughts? I me a friend, boy, I can tell you what the other guys say. You know, gutch boy, not all that? Not enough. Your friends ain't gonna like you. But you gotta have guts.
Speaker 8: I got guts, not enough, that's.
Speaker 6: What all the guys think pends. Okay, the kind of soft you know, chicken. Yeah, I'm telling you, I don't wanna be a pad or a guy who's sawt You gotta be hard, be like to higher figure. All that tell nobody at you.
Speaker 7: I know what I am.
Speaker 6: I know I'm not saught. I'm not should I you you're afraid to get drunk, Well I'm getting drunk. Was this because you were afraid? I think you were a chicken. That's why that's why.
Speaker 2: You're crazy.
Speaker 6: I've seen you afraid. I had to explain it to the guys.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and when that's time, we want you to ducks for the old.
Speaker 6: Man shot gun. You were a chicken. Now you were crazy. The guy thought you were afraid of the gun. Well that's not chicken, that's what I told him. Well I'm not sure that's good. Uh Uh. Now you can't run out of that boy. And I'm your friends, and I'm telling you for your own.
Speaker 4: Or kill kill.
Speaker 6: You told me I'm chicken, No gut, I'm forgetting.
Speaker 8: Prady what Johnny and you do. May can never go hunting much in the mountains.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you that. But it Uh, you aren't kid, You're chicken.
Speaker 5: You want a fight, You do what you want to hurt you wan don't want it all on.
Speaker 6: That doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 3: Kids stuff.
Speaker 6: I got a better idea.
Speaker 8: You wanna really do something that are showing boys?
Speaker 6: That will really show.
Speaker 5: It to what?
Speaker 6: Play a game?
Speaker 2: You like?
Speaker 8: Games?
Speaker 6: Really easy games to learn? Nothing to it?
Speaker 8: Yeah, ever, drink ciner, James.
Speaker 6: I read about it a while back. Russian Roulette.
Speaker 8: Remember some kind of demo.
Speaker 6: I'll tell you it's real easy. First you get a gun, will bother a real gun, then bullet guns. Then so what you take one bullet and you leave it in the gun see then we take turns because crazy games. Uh, we take turns pointing at our heads and pulling the triggers. If nothing happened, see you, I take the gun, thend the cylinder and pointed at my head and then shoot you call out, I gave sure, See which one go chicken first? You never know where the bullet is. And if you spend the cylinder and the bullet, shof comes up on your turn.
Speaker 7: Lewis H.
Speaker 6: Codut In this book it went a long time, and then one guy got like you get he his chicken and leaf fold, say that I'm sick of it.
Speaker 5: You're here. You wanna know something?
Speaker 7: You get chicken before me?
Speaker 6: You I wouldn't do a see your hands now, worry, wouldn't he fair? Forget? I'll wait a minute.
Speaker 7: You started to go ahead finishing?
Speaker 6: You old man got a gun? Has he sure?
Speaker 7: Okay? You wanna be crazy?
Speaker 6: Okay, go ahead, get the gun.
Speaker 5: Go We'll go on.
Speaker 7: Get it. Let's start playing.
Speaker 2: Read the smile the Smile of pity with deliberate easy sort it from the room. Pin might have seen him stagger a moment as he reached the door, but Pin wasn't looking. He was noticing for the first time his hands lying flattened down the table, disassociated when there was a scar on the right index finger. He got it when he cut himself twelve years before on his first borrowed scout knife. Now only the scar a memory on a trigger finger. He didn't look up again until Red came back with a gun.
Speaker 6: Thirty eight. That's the best handgun.
Speaker 8: Wanna hold it?
Speaker 6: No, I figured you wouldn't s up gay well forget uh uh?
Speaker 7: Go ahead? Take out the book?
Speaker 8: Okay, take out five leave one aunt.
Speaker 6: Think yeah, take out five.
Speaker 8: One one from it?
Speaker 6: Are you up for meat?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 7: Okay?
Speaker 2: The gun. The gun rested muzzled to the wall in the center of the table, and the table bearing scratches made by a three year old and a forgotten moment of high experiment. The boys sat opposite each other, looking down at the gun because the whiskey affected them with the strange new feeling details of the table edge, a wall pack an on the rug. These details on the fringes were blurred, but not the gun. The gun was clear and precise, and the gun waited.
Speaker 6: You wanna go first?
Speaker 8: It didn't make any difference, meaned it flip a coin.
Speaker 6: Okay, caw head head, okay, I'll take for a shot.
Speaker 2: There was a ceremony to the game. There worksmanship with the top of the calling a drink of whiskey, the glass foot dogs, and next to come the lifting of the guard. Pin stared at her and about how he would best reach out to take the handle gracefully, practically. He had never held a barber in his life.
Speaker 9: In the stilling yeah, nah, the other now, but the oct the bullet comes up when I shoot.
Speaker 6: Now one in six, I guess I don't know.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 2: He was a careful boy, but he didn't put them up into his head immediately. At this point of the game, there was a numbness which did not allow for speculation of pain mother father. Rather, Pin was surprised by the weight of the gun, the physical oneness with it lying in his hand. He was afraid of it, and fascinated in his fear. The red watch his mouth open, the little eyes reddened with drinking, but bright, watchful seeing the friend of his youth, slowly raised the gun, unsteady and awkwardly, turning the barrel.
Speaker 4: To his head. He wet his lips and waited and didn't go off.
Speaker 8: No, I feel.
Speaker 6: I don't know who's dead. I get so, I don't you sure look scared? Yeah, girl, white, I didn't think you'd do it. You took only do it a lot of talk and you scared at your turn. Give me the guns. Boy, that's a real gun. Remember when we were kids, tapped us. But you never thought we'd be doing this, you know, you know? Okay, my turn? Where are your baby?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 6: I wanna make a side bet on this one. It was gonn maintain if you knew. Watch then when you make up your mind to do it, do it quick, see like this?
Speaker 8: Uh now you swear it out again?
Speaker 6: Pretty good game loose. I'll make you one daptom.
Speaker 7: What's that? Can you crack for?
Speaker 6: Ideas?
Speaker 7: Your nuts? A buck?
Speaker 6: A back? Sure, a buck.
Speaker 2: The game had taken another turn that presented an added incentive to win a dollar bet that one boy would be a tower. A boy wouldn't lose his nerves, wouldn't have the guts to take another chance of blowing his brains up with that uh stensible right, young man. The room was too warm and outside the middle afternoon sun lays down the hot on the heavy sycamore trees. And dusty and still A twelve year old passed by on the streets, whistling tunelessly childishly on his way to the drug store for a soda.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, or do you wanna quit now?
Speaker 5: I'll do it.
Speaker 7: Don't worry.
Speaker 6: I'm not quitting. Go around and say this for you.
Speaker 8: The guys who's as scared of guns as you are, you're doing alright.
Speaker 6: They gets tough. An hour's all in the luck.
Speaker 7: You know.
Speaker 6: You're lucky, pen.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I'm lucky.
Speaker 6: That's good.
Speaker 4: I'm not lucky.
Speaker 7: I'm not anything.
Speaker 6: Why am I doing this?
Speaker 8: I wonder if I hear the noise before I heal the pain, or whether it'll be nice?
Speaker 6: Oh have I died if there wasn't any pain? But it's too hard in the heir, the gun feels hot, red, things are yellow. Well, I'd just like to wonder if you keep on smiling if I pointed the gun at.
Speaker 8: Him, maybe you need another drink? Huh No, I don't want it anymore. Okay, Well yeah, hm, who will watching him?
Speaker 6: What do you plung you to me for.
Speaker 2: You scared?
Speaker 10: Huh?
Speaker 6: I'm not scared.
Speaker 8: Maybe maybe we should play it this sweet for at a while.
Speaker 6: I shoot at you and you shoot at me. That's not the game. Why not the same thing? Now, that'd be like murder. You wanna play, you play it right?
Speaker 5: Who says the way we've been playing is right?
Speaker 10: Uh?
Speaker 2: I get it.
Speaker 6: You're trying to get out of taking your next show.
Speaker 10: I'm asking you, who says the way we're playing is right?
Speaker 3: And see what he pointing to make?
Speaker 10: Just tell me that I said difference.
Speaker 6: We're playing rush and roulette. That's a difference.
Speaker 5: You're a quick fight, so that oh I'm not quit?
Speaker 6: Okay, then take your shot.
Speaker 2: It was a thing to be well considered on the part of Red. The abstract quality of self destruction was one thing. But a gun pointed at him, gun held in another hand. This was not a game of his choosing. He'd had no part of it. Suddenly he knew himself to be sober, terribly sober, And because of this, and the fact that the game had mushroom beyond his understanding, there was no stopping to play. He knew that Pin was sober too, and as from a gray distance, he saw his friend raise the gun, but steadily, this time, pressure frightening the index finger, the muzzle touching just at air pulsing vein he had noticed in pins pencile.
Speaker 4: I couldn't die.
Speaker 2: I didn't die.
Speaker 6: Now he's got to do it then, Now I showed him I did. I got twice from me.
Speaker 7: He got to take his turn. Now I've lived twice.
Speaker 6: He hasn't yet. I wonder how just started. I wonder why it doesn't stop.
Speaker 2: Maybe there were only five bullets. See, no, there was ex I saw him.
Speaker 4: There's the one in there.
Speaker 6: My leg's gone to sleep.
Speaker 4: I wish I could get up, walk on it.
Speaker 6: You're a lucky guy.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I'm lucky too.
Speaker 4: You'd better be.
Speaker 6: My turn. Now my turn. Why don't he well, he's never got Why didn't he quit? Maybe he's so true, he don't got the sense.
Speaker 8: Nah, he's not drunk.
Speaker 6: What does he quit?
Speaker 7: It's my town.
Speaker 6: I gotta do it. Kid, tell everyone if I didn't, he can't tell him all and they'll laugh. I don't know. Now, I don't know. I feel feels like the bullet might be coming up.
Speaker 3: Not yet, not yet.
Speaker 5: You.
Speaker 6: I gotta smile like I'm enjoying it.
Speaker 10: There's a big sense that is tell a kid sometime.
Speaker 6: Yeah, sure will How long are you gonna take what's now? They be nervous. That's why should I be deer?
Speaker 2: You're shot?
Speaker 6: Oh, can then shut up? Huh he's scared.
Speaker 2: He's scared.
Speaker 8: He doesn't wanna do it.
Speaker 6: I'm not the only one. All his big talk, he's no more than me, all that big talk.
Speaker 7: Look at him, he scared.
Speaker 2: It was at the moment that Tend discovered this truth that he knew he wanted to he could quit the game, And as he looked at Red, he became aware of the great anger. He had no directions, no apparent reason, but it filled him and made him strong.
Speaker 3: Let's quit, you great, I wanna quit.
Speaker 6: Nuts to you, my giant.
Speaker 7: I don't care what quit.
Speaker 6: You could win at George. I'll take care of my daughter. I'm telling you.
Speaker 5: Red with the gun down drop Yeah.
Speaker 6: Your chance, yeah.
Speaker 7: You m.
Speaker 2: M h m m.
Speaker 6: M yeah.
Speaker 7: You better have to be telephone yeah, huh.
Speaker 10: Oh oh wow, oh fine, No, no, I'm a tin. No, I'm fine. Oh that we've been playing kinda rough like that.
Speaker 6: Sure mo, everything's fine, okay, okay, sure, thank.
Speaker 5: Oh h.
Speaker 2: M. Red stood by the telephone for a long time, and he cried that he hadn't cried for a long time and stayed in the room. He felt it too in his throat, the thickness, the tight held tears. Either boy knew what it was or why. And then after a while he was calm again. Red came back in.
Speaker 6: That was mom. Oh, she said we could go to the tavern for dinner where I charge It had to be okay.
Speaker 7: Well, yeah, well, I guess we'd better clean up the place. Huh get the day.
Speaker 6: Oh.
Speaker 2: They cleaned up, not saying much to each other. They felt very close and we're not able to express their closeness. Then there was the last thing to do of the last part of the game to be played, and they had to know. So they walked to the edge of the town, into a shallow ravine. Red took the guns in his pocket. He still had the shot he'd never fired himself, the aim that a half burned tree stump some fifty yards away, and slowly began to squeeze the trigger.