Speaker 1: This is later with Lee Matthews the Lee Matthews Podcast. More of what you hear Weekday Afternoon is on the Drive.
Speaker 2: Bill O'Reilly and his writing partner Martin Duggart have done it again, and this time they're not killing anybody. Bill, You're confronting the presidents. No spin assessments from Washington to Biden. I got to believe in all the research you've done with your writing partner, in all the Killing series of books, you've come across a lot of rabbit holes to go down, and this was one of them.
Speaker 3: Well, what we wanted to do, Lee, and thanks for having me on a program is give the reader an honest appraisal of all forty five men who have held the presidency. And we also wanted to humanize them, make them real people, because America has a tendency to mythologize presidents and public schools don't even teach history anymore. So have you go outside and say, hey, hey, what about that Chester a Arthur?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 3: Yeah, is that a rapper?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think I know Chester a Arthur. And we do it in an entertaining way, the same style we use on the Killing books. And we our task is to uncover things that even the historians don't know. So there's a review on Amazon just popped up by the head of a historical society who says, look, I've been doing this my whole life, and I didn't know many of the things that o'reiley and Dugard came up with in confronting the presidents. For example, George Washington's mother didn't like him and wrote letters to the Virginia newspaper saying, my son, George's starving me to debt. And it drove General Washington, who's in the middle of the Revolutionary War at the time, crazy. He didn't even go to his mother's funeral. Stuff like that is all throughout the book. And then the final thing is that I tried to make confronting the presidents relevant to today. So there was one president who won in a landslide who used the same campaign techniques that Kamala Harris is using. You know who that guy was.
Speaker 2: I do not. I can't even guess.
Speaker 3: Warren Hardy nineteen twenty. So Harding was not a smart man, but he was smart enough to know that he wasn't a smart man. Republicans dominated him. The country is fed up with eight years of Democrats in Woodrow Wilson. That was World War One and they would have elected a chimpanze and Warren was the chimp. So Warren basically says the republic body, I'm not campaigning. I'm gonna sit here and marry in Ohio on my fortune wave the people. That's it. And no interviews ever. Who does that remind you of? Uh huh, no interviews? Okay. So Harding wins in a landslide and then gets into the White House and is one of the worst presidents ever, spends his time playing cards all night with his corrupt pronies, getting drunk and chasing his mistress around the building. That's what he did for three years before he died in San Francisco under fairly suspicious circumstances. So this is the kind of stuff. And I can almost assure you that the Kamala Harris campaign has no idea what Laaren Hardy to do, but it's almost identical the way they're campaign. They're running their campaign.
Speaker 2: Confronting the president's no spin assessments from Washington to Biden. Bill O'Reilly is with us a bill one of the I think more under researched and undercredited presidents for his role in American history as James Buchanan. You seldom hear or see what he did that directly caused the Civil War.
Speaker 3: The worst president by far. And when Donald Trump gets up and says Joe Biden's the worst president, he's wrong. Buchanan was, by father worse. Biden was, in my opinion based on research, the second worst. Because Biden brought problems onto the country. Biden created the open border, he created the massive inflation, Not Congress, nobody else, Biden did it. And that's very, very angel. Most of the failed presidents inherited the problems, like Herbert Hoover the Great Depression, and they couldn't solve them. Biden, he came in and he caused them. Now, James Buchanan coward number one coward. So he gets elected eighteen fifty six and he does absolutely nothing, nothing to stop the sow from arming itself, from murdering Union officials. I mean, it was outrageous. I have a letter in my private collection league from Marry Truman saying that Andrew Jackson had been president in eighteen fifty six, there would not have been a Civil War. But because Buchanan was too afraid to do anything. The South rose up in ferocity, and the war was a fate of complete When Abraham Lincoln was elected more than a million Americans. Guy from wounds and from diseased. So you can't cop Buchanan. The guy was a fop f op. What do you read about this guy? Unbelievable And you're right, nobody knows who he is. Yeah, nobody knows, and that's why the book has gotten off for such a fair start.
Speaker 2: Specifically, I was referring to I want to say his what they used to call the Address to Congress. It's now the State of the Union Address, But in it he acknowledges the South's right to exist on its own, which, in my opinion, lit the views that was headed to the powder keg.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, this guy was irresponsible. Some might call him a trader. I think Tyler John Tyler took over when William Henry Harrison died. Tyler was a trader. I mean, people go what a president of the United States was a trader? Absolutely, Tyler served in a Confederate Congress after they booted him out of the presidency. But most of these guys in the nineteenth century before Lincoln where slavers themselves, they had no problem with it. And that's why Abraham Lincoln is the best president because he was a very decent, kind man and you know, he wanted to work lost.
Speaker 2: It highly highly, highly intelligent.
Speaker 3: Lincoln, and he had so much to deal with his dun Ton die, his mother, his wife is a nut. I mean, it was like no relief. And the deterioration of him physically, you see when he took off his dinate four years later before he was assassinated. The physical deterioration of the man, it's just stunning. And that brings us to the Trump shooting or attempted shooting over the weekend. Set of be nine assassination attempts on US presidents. I write about seven of them in confronting the presidents, because obviously the Trump situation was after the book was published, and all of them have one thing in common. All of the assassins were mentally ill people. And you'll find that the guy in Butler, Pennsylvania who's dead, and the guy in Florida who'll never see the light of day again, are mentally ill as well. And that's a problem here. So everybody else tres a Matho and it and certainly the hateful rhetoric on both sides in this campaign does not help the level of violence that we have in our country. But it's mentally ill people who are doing this, and I don't know any society you can protect people against those kinds.
Speaker 2: Of folks confronting the presidents no spin assessments from Washington to Biden and Bill O'Reilly along with his writing partner Martin de guard, has the presidency changed that much? I mean it sounds to me like we have seen so many parallels throughout history. It's just a different of maybe the power the press has had over the years, or the amount of money spent to elect a president, but a lot of it's still the same the same.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, look, it's it's always been contentious. I mean John Adams and Thomas Jefferson. The only president got to pass was Washington because Washington had very very few critics, you know, population a doored him. But once he left, and then Adams ran against Jefferson, then of vitriol came in. But now it's social media and irresponsible corporate media, which is a big theme of bond on Bill O'Reilly dot com, on my note's been news broadcasts. You know, they heightened us. They promote this for their own reasons. They want to make money, and hatred does make money. So it's worse now it's ever been except for the Civil War. So the political hatred in the USA is worse today ever before, other than the war between the Sticks.
Speaker 2: Confronting the presidents. No spin assessments from Washington to Biden by Bill. O'Reilly, Bill, you've done it again. I only have begun the book, but I'm looking forward to it cover to cover, and thank you for joining us.
Speaker 3: Sure where you get the wine Heartingly, you'll love it. I appreciate you adding me in. I'll best everybody in OKLAHOLM.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to Later with Lee Matthews, the Lee Matthews Podcast, and remember to listen to The Drive Live weekday afternoons from five to seven and iHeartMedia presentation