Speaker 1: Welcome, dear listener, and thanks for joining us.
Speaker 2: And I'm Stephen and this is a podcast all about the weird and wonderful world of the Dark comedy anthology series Inside number nine.
Speaker 1: On each episode, we'll be diving into another one of Steve Pemberton and Reese Shearsmith's twisted tales, putting it under a lens and examining it within an inch of its life.
Speaker 2: So make yourself comfortable, grab a cup of tea, and join us for the ninth degree. Hello, Hello, Hello, welcome back. How are you doing?
Speaker 1: I am okay, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm not bad long January mm, stretching out forever. But I've got holidays look forward to you, So I'm excited.
Speaker 1: That is good.
Speaker 2: I might do this every year.
Speaker 1: I've got the end of my job to look forward to.
Speaker 2: Oh, of course, how long you've got a couple of weeks left.
Speaker 1: Now, is it? Yeah? Just over two weeks?
Speaker 2: Nice?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it can't come soon enough. If any of my colleagues are listening to this, Love you really was purely for the purposes of entertainment.
Speaker 2: Yes, exaggerate for comedic effects. Yes, it's that thing that when you when you've finished and you're working your notice and it's just like I'm mentally.
Speaker 1: Checked out of this. Oh absolutely, yeah, kind of hurry up already, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 2: Well, we are back for episode three of series five Loves Great Adventure.
Speaker 1: Whoop whoop, whoop whoop.
Speaker 2: But before we get into that, there's the small matter of the hair from last week.
Speaker 1: Yes, it was Nine Lives cat. Yeah, there's a cat that made me feel bad. I don't know what that says about me. I mean, they are supposed to have nine lives cats, aren't they. Yeah, convoluted. Sorry, then I'll just get it in.
Speaker 2: But we all learned something.
Speaker 1: It was worth it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so have a lookout for the one this week. I will refer as now to instant number nine fandom wiki for the plot of this episode, which is Trevor and Juliet always want to make Christmas really special for their family, but this year, with money so tight, things aren't going to be easy. As each door of the advent calendar opens, everyone will have to do their bit to make Christmas happen.
Speaker 1: You sounded so enthusiastic reading I'm really trying.
Speaker 2: I don't know if I can put it off for much longer. But this is not my favorite episode. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could tell I'm really.
Speaker 2: Worried about this week. I apologize if this is your favorite.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So we were discussing earlier and I said that it was funny because when we first started this, I was saying, how I don't think it's a bad episode of this show, and you were like, well, there might be one flashback here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, there's one or two. And I wouldn't say it's bad exactly, It's just not my thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get that. I get that.
Speaker 2: It just doesn't feel very inside number ninety. To me. No, it feels like it's a very good episode of a different program.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I was going to say. I was going to say, I think as a piece of TV, it's very good. It just feels very jarring as an episode of in So number nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, if you think about what I obviously you know in So Numb nine does many different things. Yes, but there is a core of I mean, what would you say that core is that makes something in Insant number nine episode.
Speaker 2: The dark comedy. Yeah, it doesn't have to always have these things, but it's got to have at least one of them, like, it's got to have either some dark comedy, it's got to have some big revelation flash twist of some description, yeah, and or something supernatural or whatever, like there's got to be one of them things in there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel I get that, and I don't really.
Speaker 2: Think this has any of them. No, Like it has the great character work, yeah, but to me that's sort of always implied.
Speaker 1: Yes, that always has to be there. You wouldn't expect anything less.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but equally we don't really have enough time with any of the characters to really get to know them all that well.
Speaker 1: No, it's very slice of life, yeah, a little bit yet tiny little vignettes. So yeah, I think Into Number nine is a show where they could be experimental and try different things, and I think this is obviously one of those things. They tried something completely different, which you know, I applaud them for that.
Speaker 2: And they're halfway through the run. Obviously they wouldn't know at the time. But so like, GE's about the time when you do start doing things a bit differently, and yeah, you do come up with other things to do.
Speaker 1: I think, you know, some would say the twist is that there isn't one there isn't really I mean, you know, there is kind of yeah, but very hidden. Yeah, not to the same degree of the usual episodes.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But having said that, starting on a fairly negative note, like I think I like it more than you, right, Okay, I wouldn't say I love it. Yeah, And again when we come to rating it at the end, it's going to be hard whether to rate it for what it is or as an into number nine episode, yeah, because I don't want to be too harsh. But at the same time, you know, but I think for what it is, it's actually pretty good and quite enjoy watching it. I just because you've got the inside number nine title sequence, Yeah, you expect it's going to be a certain thing and it's kind of not.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I remember watching this when it came out like there and then I was like, watched it that Tuesday night when it first aired, thinking oh, I'm getting another exciting thing of a thing I love, and then you're expecting something big to happen and then nothing does. Yeah, and it kind of falls really flat for me personally.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get that.
Speaker 2: I get that, Like when if you can watch it knowing that there's not going to be any big twist to it. Then it's you can sort of enjoy it for what it is a lot better.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Oh well, I was going to ask if you because obviously I presume you watched it once when it aired and then you've not revisited it since then.
Speaker 2: I think I have now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So was it was it as bad as you thought it was going to be or was it better slightly.
Speaker 2: Or probably it was probably slightly better. Yeah, And I knew that I wasn't waiting for something big to happen, so I didn't have that hanging over me the whole time. Yeah, like I didn't. It didn't have anything to live up to. I still didn't massively enjoy it.
Speaker 1: No, I get that. But yeah, if you know what the BBC's play for today was right where they used to do I think it was in the seventies, there'd be one off little dramas. And it's also a bit like have you ever seen Moving On? No, So that's another like anthology. Each one's an individual drama. Jimmy McGovern wrote them, I think, yeah, And I used to watch those and it really reminded me of that that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not familiar.
Speaker 1: If you didn't like this, I guess I wouldn't recommend it, but yeah.
Speaker 2: I've seen them say that they wanted it to be a bit sort of ken Loach's style. Yes, and I've not seen any of his stuff, but I've seen like bits and pieces and it I get that. I understand what they mean.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean it's all set. It's literally all set in that kitchen, yeah, which I don't think I twigged until like a second or third watch. I think I kind of assumed in the back of my head there must be it must have been scenes in other rooms. But yeah, it's literally all in that one kitchen.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's I mean it's literally kitchen seeing. Yeah, drama, yeah, And I just I think there's to be fair. I think there's lots to like about this. I think the fact the fact that they do the they tell it through these tiny little vignettes of one per day across the advent calendar is a great idea.
Speaker 2: Oh I like that as a concept. I just there were so many things that I was expecting to happen that didn't Like, I feel like this is setting up something, Oh, this is going to happen that just never does. Yes, a lot of it was improvised as well.
Speaker 1: I believe it was. Yeah, which I was going to say, is that's another thing I kind of really like about this because the tone that that brings, Like when the actors are able to just kind of use their own words and not tied to the script, it really adds to that. This is probably the most naturalistic episode true that we've got.
Speaker 2: Maybe that's why it feels so jarring to me because it doesn't feel scripted.
Speaker 1: It doesn't feel like they're because they're so sort of crafted normally, aren't.
Speaker 2: They Every word matters.
Speaker 1: And yeah, obviously they've placed the story in sequence and they knew what each scene had to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but how it got there was to them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean what, I'd be interested because I know you can buy the scripts for these. I'd be really interested to see the script for this one and see how much it differs from what actually happened.
Speaker 2: Whether it is just a lot of stage directions of.
Speaker 1: Well, Steve did say that they there was dialogue written for every scene, right, but they didn't necessarily stick to it. So yeah, it would be would be interesting to see that. Yeah, but I do I do love the naturalistic feel of it, Like the I think this is very well acted.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's brilliantly acted.
Speaker 1: All the cast are so good. Yeah, and they really feel like a family. And apparently all the cast really bonded and like they had a big meal together at the beginning and we're sort of opening up to each other about stuff, and yeah, sounds really like an intense experience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's how you get the best out of it. Yeah, out of the family sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they did a good job of that, definitely. And the casting is brilliant. M I buy all of them and even even the little kids very good.
Speaker 1: I think it's great, which is really tough to do, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Because I don't know how old he is, but he's only young. Yeah, And I guess the improvising thing works well there because he can just be like they just have to tell you, I'll go and make your breakfast or whatever.
Speaker 1: And having a child in the scene as well, who's improvising with you must make it kind of easier to improvise along with as well that because he's not following a script, So yeah, you've got to just respond to what he's saying.
Speaker 2: And yeah, you very much have to listen to him rather than what's written. Yeah, and you're trying to follow. Yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: I do think there's a lot to commend this on just a question of how much it feels like it fits as part of the series.
Speaker 2: But yeah, it's a bit like saying that you had, you know, a murder mystery, like a Poiro or whatever, and then one episode it's just randomly got vampires in it. Even if it was really well done, it would just be like, why are they here?
Speaker 1: That's such a great comparison what is going on? Yeah? Yeah, that really explains how you feel.
Speaker 2: I think like, no matter how well you did it and how many of the tropes you carried over from Buiro and all that kind of stuff, like, yeah, it's still wondering why we've done this.
Speaker 1: This is brilliant, but why have you done it? Yeah? Yeah, it's like they could have done this as a separate project.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: Apparently Debbie Rush, who played Julia, when they finished, she was like, Oh, I wish we could do more of this. I wish we could do a whole series of this. Ah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like a series.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 2: It's like that odd episode that you get in in a program where it's clearly a backdoor pilot for a spin off. Like I can almost see this as being like a separate spinoff where they do little segments of a month or whatever in this family.
Speaker 1: But yeah, should we kind of go through interesting bits?
Speaker 2: My notes are just what happens every day. Yeah, they were on math lesson.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now I find this interesting as someone who works in education. Hmmm, I'll be honest, I'd never heard of traffic light method.
Speaker 2: Well, how do you have a method of adding three on to seven or whatever it was. I don't really feel like there's a lot of method involved.
Speaker 1: I think what he's doing because I did google traffic light methods. I was like, is that a real thing? And it is. It's a method for multiplication, right, because at that age they don't do the column method, right, but they do when they're slightly older. Okay, but I've never heard of traffic light method. We do other things at my school.
Speaker 2: Part of me wonders, do they just make up new methods of doing things so that the adults can't help the children, so the children have to do it themselves.
Speaker 1: That's a very cynical way of looking at it.
Speaker 2: Or is it more positively that they go home than their parents teach them in other methods, So they have two methods of doing a thing and they only have to teach them one of them. No.
Speaker 1: I think it's because people are constantly reinventing the wheel and thinking, you know, this is this is a better way of helping them understand it.
Speaker 2: We've been teaching math since like god knows what. Yeah, but yeah, in the last ten years, it has changed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it has, it does. I liked how Trevor said about the unit's column, because that's what we called it in my day, but these days it's we say the ones, the ones.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I've always thought it felt weird to say, but yeah, we always called it units.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, I love that. I love the dynamic of you know, he's such a like cheeky grandpa. Hmmm, although you don't know he's the grandpa. At first, I think, true, yeah, he's potentially, you think he could be the dad. Maybe he's and he's a bit old, but it's it's deliberately vague, yes, And then when they're shouting for mire and you think maybe their siblings.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I assumed first time it sort.
Speaker 1: Of comes out gradually.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I also like that they all like obviously have the little fallouts occasionally, but they do actually genuinely really like each other and love each other.
Speaker 1: They do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is a good family, nice bond, which is nice to see every now and then, Like most families see on TV all hate each other or plotting in some way, shape or.
Speaker 1: Form exactly, this is what I think, Like, it's I think this episode is all about family really, It's about like what you would do for your family in the extreme circumstances. Yeah, and like also the fact that we're seeing it over the span of best part of a month, and also it's only tiny little snapshots. Each day you might see these little disagreements and spats, but then the next day you might see them having a really touching, lovely moment together.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And that's just realistic, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do feel very rounded people.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. So Mia has her eye on a prom dress.
Speaker 2: We'll skip over making breakfast. That was a fun day.
Speaker 1: What was that?
Speaker 2: That was day two? MIA's dress is day three?
Speaker 1: All right, Sorry, we're doing every day. Nothing happened in day No, not really, but that's what that was. When we first realized that mir exists. Yeah. Yeah, so our first real introduction to me is her asking for this dress in this I mean, how old we think? If she's prom she must be like year eleven, so.
Speaker 2: You'd think so like sixteen Spanish? I can. I really struggle to age her. I have no idea.
Speaker 1: By the way, do you know who she is?
Speaker 2: Gabby French? My screens telling me I'll.
Speaker 1: Be friends who that is? Recognize her from anywhere?
Speaker 2: I'm guessing I should. Yes, I assume I'm going to assume she's in Doto now, but I don't know where. Oh, okay, she wasn't in the play? Was she?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Was she?
Speaker 1: She's Abby the usher? Was she? Yeah?
Speaker 2: That's so weird.
Speaker 1: I think she was in the West End one and the tour.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I can. It suddenly came to me that it's like, yeah, she looks fake.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah. And we didn't mention it at the time because I only found out after we'd recorded. But the other young lady in the play, the one who played the dope blond actress, Yeah, I think she was the one who was Reese's girlfriend in Yeah really yeah, So keeping it in the family.
Speaker 2: If you know they're good and reliable.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, she's very good, especially because she's Welsh. Yes, and she's doing a fantastic accent and improving in it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, improving a different accent must be really tough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, I to.
Speaker 2: Consider how certain noise, certain vowel sounds work, or whatever in that particular word.
Speaker 1: Say that. I do that with my kids at work, Like when I want to get their attention, I just do a different accent and just start teaching in a different accent. Fair enough, But then I don't know if it's good enough to be on TV. So true? Whereabouts up north is this set? Do you think?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I am terrible with accents unless they're very obvious ones. I'm very I'm terrible. I'm going to guess some way over Leeds Way, but only really based on that that's where sort of Steve's from, so I assumed. I assume it'd be somewhere near where he grew up. Mm hmm, because it feels sort of so family focused that I guessed he would do that, but I don't know.
Speaker 1: Again, listening to the podcast, they were saying that Debbie Rush, she played the mum, was so northern herself, like she had these phrases she kept coming out with that even Steve had never heard used something like don't just stand there like Piffy never heard. No, No, I've never heard that. And he goes it must have been a very specific area up north. Yeah, and Reese goes, yeah, someone's house.
Speaker 2: But Granded has loads of those, like their equivalent is that's done there? Like Bolco's monument. There's a statue of a man called Bolco in Middlesbrough who doesn't obviously move because he's a statue. And a lot more pointless what like his favorite is oh, I come before you stand behind you to tell you something I known out about. I think that's a that's nick from somewhere I can't wear. But atop a hill there stands a mill. If it ain't gone tomorrow, it'll be there still. Oh my god, I'm like, great, useful, Granded.
Speaker 1: Thanks just reminded me of the you know, the Scottish hotel here in little Britain. He just stams out with these random little riddles.
Speaker 2: I've not seen that. I've never watched a lot of Britain.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, but I believe you. Yeah, AnyWho, we were on originally, we're on the prom dress, and I just you know, she's so sort of eager to have it. And it's like, because obviously we find out soon that money's.
Speaker 2: Tight, money's very tight.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like she's at that age I guess where she's coming to understand how that stuff works.
Speaker 2: Food doesn't just appear.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like how the mum says it's forty pounds and she's like, it's not forty pounds, it's thirty eight ninety nine. Yeah. Yeah, Again, there's a nice arc with that throughout the episode, which we'll cover, I'm sure as we get to it.
Speaker 2: But yeah, yeah, but yeah, we see the mom rip out the page and we'll save that for later. So what do we go on to next. Our dad's in debt. He's trying to reconsolidate his loans into one easy to pay, not to retainment or whatever the hell they. I don't know as much else happens at that one.
Speaker 1: No, although Gabby, sorry not Gabby, Mia Mia is in that scene and presumably overhearing that, yeah, and I think that's going into her head and sort of percolating, yeah, slowly dawning on her that Yeah, perhaps they can't afford things, m because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the next thing we see the mom hiding money, screwing away what she can and so this is this whole plot that's completely just improvised by this kid apparently, but about aliens. So I think this is one of the first ones of the plots that I thought was going to be important. But this was going to be aliens or something like. There was going to be a rug pull of oh, what of the world is happening now kind of thing which would be interesting, we love, But things like this do happen in this series. I suppose I'm not going to say certain episodes and spoil things in case people are watching along with us, but yeah, but yeah, I mean it's I don't think it's out of the realms of possibility.
Speaker 1: Now, I get that, I get that. I think for me, I just took it as it's just a bit of detail from his life that this happened at school, because I've been there. We've done this with kids at school when I worked in year one, our deputy head teacher put on an alien mask and pretended to be an alien, right and the kids, the kids all went into the hall and sat down so they could interview this alien and it was all about, you know, asking him questions about where he came from and this and that. It's about about forming questions basically. Okay, so we did have an educational value to it.
Speaker 2: But I thought you just would just mess these kids up. And was it convincing, Masker? Were they just there with like the regular.
Speaker 1: Well he was wearing his normal like jumper that he was. It was just but it was like one of those like you pull it over your head, like a sort of balaklava type thing. Yeah, blessing, he did look like a tit. Anyway, he's very excited about that, and he's made a little card.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh so sweet.
Speaker 1: It is so sweet when he's like, I couldn't find any stars, so I just used that a round circle for for for a star. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's so cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder if he's still acting. I was gonna say, yeah, how old is he now?
Speaker 2: All grown up? Now? That was like ten years ago. Oh it's only five years ago.
Speaker 1: Okay. I was gonna say, yeah, it's only further.
Speaker 2: Further further ago in time that I think it is, then it actually is. Whenever Gibbisia just said, and then we go on to driving practice and race pops.
Speaker 1: Up Uncle Alex.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I didn't work this out. I think I got this from reading externally. I didn't know who the hell he was meant to be. Oh, if you really listen, it does say.
Speaker 1: But yeah, she calls him uncle AAO very brief.
Speaker 2: Like once, I think, but they never reference. I don't believe, like, do you know which how he's related to them? Obviously he's the uncle, but who's who's you?
Speaker 1: No, I haven't. I haven't thought of that to be fair, when actually I think it must be it must be Trevor's brother, because she's nagging at him about oh, he's so tight, he's charging his knee. Yeah, I feel like she would. She wouldn't if it was her brother. She'd just have it out with him, I suppose.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he's again quite a naturalistic role for Reese.
Speaker 2: Weirdly, he doesn't have any silly jokes or anything.
Speaker 1: No. Yeah, both of them are really down to earth.
Speaker 2: I think they play it very straight this week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was quite refreshing to see, quite nice.
Speaker 2: It lets them flex their sort of acting abilities as well. Yeah, yeah, play it seriously for a once.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I never pointed out that Steve gets away his real hair for once as well. I don't know if he does, but Steve does.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I find it's sad, how you know. They have this sort of conversation about the lesson and then off she goes, and then the mum's just like go and then with she crap. Yeah, a bit harsh.
Speaker 2: It is worrying that she doesn't really know how to do her gears and she's already got a test coming up very soon.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd like to think i'd felt reasonably confident with at least have to drive, if not actually the test, Yes, before I did the test.
Speaker 1: Oh, she can't be sixteen, then she must be seventeen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, actually, yeah, she must be at least seventeen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it might be.
Speaker 2: It might be like a sixth form problem she's going to or something. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean it's Christmas anyway, so it's a bit of an odd time to have a problem.
Speaker 2: We just say it's the Christmas problem, doesn't she all right? Yeah, so maybe they do one at that school at Christmas.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's got one more lesson before a test, which feels a lot to learn in one lesson how to do the entirety of gears.
Speaker 1: She do like I do, and just do an automatic. Yeah, yeah, I never drive.
Speaker 2: Well, I've driven my parents on like literally just turning it round on their drive, and I didn't like it.
Speaker 1: Automatic. Yeah, I didn't like it. It just went and I didn't like it. Yeah. No, I literally I learned automatic because I was like, it's one less thing to think about, and I don't regret it at all.
Speaker 2: Right, fair enough, I'd.
Speaker 1: Recommend it to anyone. My dad's big into cars, and he originally was like, oh, mastery of manual, you know, but even he's come around to automatic in more recent years, he said, back in the day when there was quite a difference between them, but nowadays the technology is good enough that it's fine. But yeah, this is not a motoring podcast. This is not top gear.
Speaker 2: Thank god for that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and on that bombshell, cars are on magic. As far as I'm concept winging a prayer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's that great comic. I think I sent you of some cartoon of someone opening a bonnet. I think that probably you'll find here is the cartoonist doesn't know what a.
Speaker 1: Car looks like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like springs and hamsters running around.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I thought it was quite realistic. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So on today I mum has squirreled away this dress picture and she's having to go at making herself, which is so adorable. I don't really think it'd be much cheaper than buying it, to be absolutely frank with.
Speaker 1: You, No, if it's only forty pounds, yeah.
Speaker 2: You'll be spending at least half that on the two as at the end waste half of them because you do it wrong enough to buy them again. M it's got like rhinestones and things in it, or sequence.
Speaker 1: Rather, we'll just say she happened to have those as scraps and things. Yeah.
Speaker 2: They now don't have any curtains in the bathroom.
Speaker 1: I just had a picture of the shower curtain with like the dress shake cut out of it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: You watched Friday Night Dinner. Not really the character they don't like that lives down the street. Mark Keep's character gets invited along to their Friday Night special Jewish dinner. So he like plays along and he makes himself a yamaka to wear, and the mum compliments it and he's like, oh thank you, and turns around. There's just a big circle out the back of his shirt. But yeah, she's having a go at making this dress. She's really sweet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, wonder if me is going to be grateful. Well we'll find out.
Speaker 2: It's unlike you. We've still got like twelve days of.
Speaker 1: Christy teenagers and ever Yeah grateful. No, we will see we.
Speaker 2: Get day nine come up at last, but we'll skip straight over that one. Hmmm interesting, Yeah, I like that, the sort of so we finally got a bit of an inside number nine nous that there's some mystery happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to be honest, I never even noticed because I wasn't paying attention to the numbers really, Okay, I just just each number I just assumed was the next number. So yeah, I wasn't thinking, right, this is eight, then, you.
Speaker 2: Know, I wasn't until I was writing notes for this. So yeah, we skip over nine and we go straight on to ten. Of me are saying that she's not that fussed about the dress. She doesn't want it. Yeah, presumably, like you said earlier, listening to the dad talk about deferring payments and things.
Speaker 1: The cogs have turned round in her head and she's worked it out and it's really sweet of her that she's, yeah, she's come to that and she's like she wants them to know. Oh, it's it's totally fine, you know, because she knows, she knows she was a bit of an ungrateful bitch about it before. So yeah, that's very nice. And Trevor's arms in.
Speaker 2: A cast, of course, yes, skip right over that. So yeah, the dad's arms in a cast and he's got a black eye, Yeah, which I don't do we really address that even here.
Speaker 1: No, I think it's not.
Speaker 2: It's another day or two yet. No, on to day eleven. We're making mince pies. Have you ever made mince pies? Because I made them once and I was like, well, if you make mince pies and you buy a jar of mince meat from the shops, yeah, I feel like you've not really done anything more than just buying the mince pies from the shop.
Speaker 1: No exactly, it's like there's like cake mix or yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels like you've done the bare minimum.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I went to the effort of actually making all the mince meat as well one year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then it cost me something.
Speaker 2: It cost me an inordinate amount of money. The amount of her dresses I could have bought, but this because you end up with and you end up with jars and jars of it, because you can't just buy one jars worth of the fruit mix that goes in on one jar of the this that you end up with like twelve jars of the bloody stuff.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And I took him into work and then but my colleague said that she loved mince meat stuff, but she doesn't like mince pies. She doesn't like the pastry. Right, So the next day has brought one of the jars and she just sat there with a spoony very weird.
Speaker 1: She was loving it though, good good. Yeah. I think I need to ask Ben because I think I know he's made one of his things he makes is like a Bakewell tart, but it's a mince meat version of a Bakewell tart. Oh yeah, but I think I think he probably just gets it from the shop, but I'd have to ask him.
Speaker 2: Oh, it is a lot of fath yeah, because they you get, like saltanas, they don't come in a bag of you know, fifty grams. They come in a bag of like five hundred grams or something.
Speaker 1: So it's all right, fav.
Speaker 2: Oh it's yeah, it's a lot of work.
Speaker 1: And you know what happens if you put too much in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bubbles everywhere and it.
Speaker 1: All leaks out. Yeah, that's sweet as well. Like the baking together reminds me of the rare occasion that I used to bake with my mum. Yeah, and we always used to end up shouting at each other. She always used to say, oh, you're cat candied. Oh no, and I'm like, yeah, it's true, I am, but yeah, because my mum's ever been that confident in the kitchen either, right, And so I think we used to blame each other when things went wrong, but we laugh about it now.
Speaker 2: I don't remember baking much of my mum. I did with my grant a lot. That's nice, yeah, but it's nice to got carollers. Yeah, this is another one of those things. I was expecting someone horrible to go when she tells him to go out and go and see the carollers.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, you're just.
Speaker 2: Going to disappear, get abducted. Yeah, possibly by aliens, but yeah, nothing bad happens here, although the money has now gone. Yes, do you assume this money in the tin is a known thing or is it just her squirreling money away hidden secret for rainy days.
Speaker 1: I personally I assumed it was a you know, she and Trevor know about it. It's their little right, their little thing.
Speaker 2: But yeah, because the next day there arguing off screen.
Speaker 1: That's a great scene, isn't it when it's just folks done.
Speaker 2: The boy you're just making a cereal and.
Speaker 1: You just hear them, hear them screaming in the background.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, I know he's only like five or whatever he is, but I'm not forgiving him for putting milk in first. It's weird.
Speaker 1: That is weird. I didn't notice that I was paying too much.
Speaker 2: Put any cereal in like five flakes of conflicts going that bowl.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's weird. Got a lot of learning to do. Yes, Instead of traffic light method, they should be focusing on the correct way to make cereal life skills people. So, yeah, Christmas is effectively canceled. No money, They can't afford anything. Obviously, this takes some significance later.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, but as far as you know, at the moment, the dad's nicked it. On today thirteen, he's talking with what's race called this week Alex. His explanation is that he's falling off a ladder. Yes, some useless person at works knock him off a ladder and you should soon because but it's not pizzahu so it's okay. Oh yeah, so we get the impression that Alex will see anyone.
Speaker 1: He's very Yeah, well he's tight, isn't he.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm also just laughing at my note for this scene because it just says it just is Christmas tree brew my pass.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've got falling off like a pizza dollars mum with tree.
Speaker 1: Because yeah, I mean, how many times have you heard people say that of stick a brew at myth?
Speaker 2: I was going to say, that's not just an up North thing, is it?
Speaker 1: No? No, you hear that all time. Yeah, you just going to sit there with your friggin bruise.
Speaker 2: I don't really know how much help they can be at moving a tree, but to be fair, yeah, it very much feels like a one person job unless it's over twelve foot.
Speaker 1: So is it the next day we've got the Christmas big shop.
Speaker 2: Do you have that thing where your mum will have a drawer of things that can't be touched till Christmas.
Speaker 1: I know it's I know, it's a thing I do. Like the line about tangerines they're not for eating. No, And she's like, what do you mean they're not for eating? What are they for then? Decoration?
Speaker 2: I thought it was more therefore Christ, like, my mum will get a load of stuff that's not to be eaten till Christmas.
Speaker 1: No, I know, I'm I'm just joking, like, I know, I know that's what. Yes, they mean, they're not for eating until Christmas? Right is the point, isn't it. But but it's just a funny phrase when she says they're not for eating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but then we'll have Mum will do all that, and then we'll have a big meal on Christmas and no one wants any of this stuff because they're all fall from.
Speaker 1: The actual dinner exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there'll be that pile of nuts and stuff that's there for the rest of January, Yeah, because no one actually wants them. We also get the hint of something to come of someone called Patrick has been seen at the pub.
Speaker 1: Yeah, first mention of him, and it's obviously created a bit of a ripple around the room.
Speaker 2: We don't know who this is. This could be anyone it.
Speaker 1: Could be, although I'm pretty sure when I watched it the first time, I think you just you do assume that that must be Conners farther because the parents of Connor have been conspicuously absent. Yes, so it kind of makes sense. Yeah, because obviously it's not me as child, so there must be another child.
Speaker 2: Well, another story, I see. I kind of assumed it was going to be her child.
Speaker 1: Oh, her son. Oh wow, that would have been dark because he's like, maybe he's six and she's only seventeen. Yeah, that would have been Yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess I'd not really considered quite how young she was because I think she looks a bit older than she is.
Speaker 1: Oh she does, Yeah, definitely. Julia says that she might drive down see if she can find him.
Speaker 2: God promises not to. So got the singing tree?
Speaker 1: Singing tree?
Speaker 2: I used to have one of these dudes? Yeah, I think I had that same one, very annoying my choice or I can't remember. I think I got it a Christmas present one year. Okay, I can't what he sang now, I can't remember, but he was quite I thought it was quite funny. And then he very much become annoying as hell.
Speaker 1: Very annoyingly. Yeah. Yeah, and me as passed the test.
Speaker 2: Which is surprising. I'm not gonna lie. Yes, maybe she thinks she's worse than she is. Maybe I'm tangling Christmas lights.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is a sweet little scene tickle time. Yeah, I love this how despite obviously the stresses of money and everything, they're having a fun time and having a nice time as a family.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The family time doesn't have to cost anything so exactly. Yeah, you enjoy that. But then Patrick comes home.
Speaker 1: Look him rough.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he needs a good wash and a shave. M hm. So then we work out obviously he is the dad, he's their son. Stuff's been happening. He's not had a good time.
Speaker 1: No, he's really hard to watch. I find he's very awkward with his son, like it doesn't know how to be with him. Yeah, and obviously very troubled obviously the drug issue. Yeah, it's just very awkward to watch, I find.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he plays it so well though. I think he's my favorite actor in this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think he does such a good job, especially in a scene later on. Yeah, and he feels very present in the episode, even if he only comes in about a third away from the end. Yeah, but he's very impactful.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean Connor's clearly very excited to see.
Speaker 2: Him, Yes, which is sweet. How old is this kid meant to be? Six? There?
Speaker 1: Do you say? Do they?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so six year old? If he doesn't see him very often, that's like an incredible amount of time that since he's last seen him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's nice that he's he's so friendly and not sort of who are you? What's going on? Like?
Speaker 1: Mm, so what do we think? Obviously you know he's he's got a drug addiction, but I mean, what's happened? Like, how has he got to this place?
Speaker 2: Idea? You know, he never even touches on it.
Speaker 1: Does it? No? And like the situation where he's you know, they hear via word of mouth, via the grapevine that someone's seen him down the pub.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is very northern. It's just everything gets heard about like that. You can't do anything without everyone finding out about it up here.
Speaker 1: But I just just you know, it seems like he's not in contact with them, and yet he's able to let himself in and so.
Speaker 2: Well they just lave a key lying out at the back, don't they. I'm assuming it's kind of one beyonder a frog at the front or something.
Speaker 1: All right, so next, is this the Julia giving me other homemade dress or if I skipped something important?
Speaker 2: Yes, you've missed, You've missed the amazing soup.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's sad, isn't it. It really is. Clearly he doesn't have any decent meals.
Speaker 2: Or he's trying to be nice as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really sweet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, yeah, mainly it's the dress.
Speaker 1: Mm hm, oh this is awful.
Speaker 2: I hate this.
Speaker 1: This is a hard scene. Yeah, brilliantly played.
Speaker 2: I feel so bad for the mom. She's putting all this work. Yeah, she's been working on this, probably for quite a while, and she's you know, you do something for someone you just want to see their eyes light up.
Speaker 1: And oh absolutely, that's very much not how it goes. It's just so sad because it's not. It kind of would have been easier if she'd just been like, oh, this is awful. It's the fact that she's trying so hard to be like, oh, you know, thank you, and the mum's like she can see that she doesn't like it, and they're both trying to be really nice to each other, Yeah, it's so painful it is.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't even think it looks bad. I mean, we'll really get to.
Speaker 1: See it very well. I can say. I can't tell. Yeah, the camera doesn't focus on it long enough for me to notice whether it's good or not.
Speaker 2: But it'd be hard for it to be that good if he's not been able to fit it to or anything exactly.
Speaker 1: But yeah, yeah, And there's this little laugh that she the mom does when she's like, oh, you know, you know, I'll probably have to alter it anyway or something, and that she's trying to just like be breezy about it when she's put so much energy into it, so sweet and sad. But then equally, you know, if it is as bad as Mia thinks it is, there's no way she can wear it this thing.
Speaker 2: No, but if it was me, i'd have worn it anyway and then got changed at your friend's house. Like the mom doesn't need to know that.
Speaker 1: She'd actually yeah, although then she might be looking to see photos from.
Speaker 2: It, or maybe yeah, I didn't take any But yeah, if at least if you do that and you get found out, you've got the excuse of going When I really tried to save your feelings one like exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I suppose it's just you know, she's put on the spot, isn't she, Yeah, open it in front of her. And also it's the fact when she thinks she might have actually got her the dress, when she says, oh, for tonight, our mum, you haven't and she's opening it, you.
Speaker 2: Know, Yeah, which makes the lie afterwards even less believable. If she's all dead set on whatever plan she's come up with, yeah, to wear something for her friend or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, poor Julia, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Bless her. Patrick sets a call and disappears, Yeah, which don't look good.
Speaker 1: You can see where his priorities are with addiction. It's like that is that is your top priority in the world. So yeah, and she's the man's watching him out the window, curious. And then the next thing we know her carte's fixing interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So she's chatting to Alex and he wants to pay for it because he feels guilty.
Speaker 1: I love that. Yeah, when he'd had that all that moaning previously and then suddenly he comes of his own. I don't get the impression Trevor's had a word with him. I think he genuinely has come to that himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's what I was saying about the kind of realism of it, and that like, it's not just these characters are far from two dimensional. They're very three dimensional and real and complex.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the most skin flinty people will be very generous when they want to be. Yeah, just because he's been you know, penny pension here and there, general life with the people he loves, who will give away what you can. Then we get to find out what happened on the ninth. The nineteenth and the ninth are pretty much the same thing, just telling you what happened on the ninth, Yeah, because this is where Patrick had really entered the story, and he'd come in, stole his mum's money and had a fight with the dad that ultimately ended up with him the black eye and a broken arm.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean I don't think he intended obviously the broken arm, but no, just will have fallen badly. But yeah, yeah, it's a tough scene.
Speaker 1: Very difficult. Yeah. What do you make of how Patrick says that he feels that Trevor humiliates him in front of Connor Because I did obviously Trevor's not intentionally doing that. No, that's just Patrick's insecurity, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Plus Patrick's barely there, so every interaction will seem so much more magnified to him. Yeah, and what it does to Trevor.
Speaker 1: I think Patrick's jealous of Trevor's connection with his son. Yeah, Trevor's not doing anything wrong. No, but Patrick just feels like, you know, he's jealous, and he's just like, oh, you're humiliating me. You're making me feel that big in front of my son.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and making you know, over embellishing the story to make himself feel like he's justified in feeling how he feels. Yeah, sort of where is me type thing?
Speaker 1: Mm hm at this point as well. I just I mean, obviously we don't know, but my question was where slash. Who is Connor's mother?
Speaker 2: Yeah, another story I expected to be important.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's never even mentioned.
Speaker 2: No, not even in passing.
Speaker 1: I don't think. No.
Speaker 2: Presumably had baby ran away like yeah, to be seen again, but Patrick's on drugs. Who knows what the mom might have been the same situation, yeah, exactly. Yeah, she might not even be alive anymore, for all we know.
Speaker 1: I was thinking that. Yeah, I didn't want to say it. I didn't want to bring the mood down too much.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he's done that for the last hour. So yeah, day twenty. So this is a bit with a really good acting I remember from Patrick especially, Yeah, finding out about the loan shark and yeah, what's happened, and how much he whne he owes a lot, and you know, the dad's all like, well, you're part of the family, like we're here for you kind of thing. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love that it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Belittle him or make him feel.
Speaker 1: Like a burden or he's so supportive. Yeah, even though this is awful. I mean, you know, this is such an awful situation. Yeah, he's such like a supportive dad. Yeah. When he says to him, you know, he can't take what we haven't got, can he?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like finding the right side?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so sweet.
Speaker 2: At no point does he tell him off about it or make him feel bad or like and obviously this is bad for the parents, like if you've had enough for a family that had money, let alone a family that doesn't clearly doesn't have anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Also when he says about I don't want you involved in this or something, and he says, Hey, we are in this, so your parents or whatever. He says, yeah, yeah, very sweet it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Bobby Schofield that plays Patrick does a fantastic job here, especially Yeah, obviously Steve's great, Steve's always great, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like you could really tell the improvised nests as well. In this scene. There's a line that Steve has where he sort of rewords it as he's speaking two or three times, and it just felt so natural.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think it's when he says about do they know, does he know? Does he know you're here? Or whatever? He says, Yeah, it's really really really well's one that's good.
Speaker 2: Day twenty one. We try and lighten the mood a little bit. Well we don't, but do you think there's going to be like a break in or something? Yeah, and then it's just a Christmas tree lights up and start singing and he takes a cricket back.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't blame him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is a nice little break.
Speaker 1: From the coming. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, we never mentioned it in the last time, but we get a reprise now of grandmar snickers.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I thought we deliberately skipped over it because yeah, oh no, I didn't. Yeah, I mean, yeah, it's the thing, isn't it. Yeah?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So a nice family dinner, it's really nice. Yeah, and it's obviously got to be because to provide the contrast. Yes later, but yeah, lovely. They're all getting really well. Patrick's joining in the games. One of my favorite lines is if you want to smirk, go outside, which only works in that accent. I I love that so much. It's such a dad joke.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, massive dad joke, an Northern dad joke. Yeah. I gets wracked by a knocks at the.
Speaker 1: Door, very scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bundle lever on u upstairs. Patrick goes get a knife. This is another thing that I feel why I'm not such a fan. It feels a bit Chekhov's knife, that it's sort of setting up something that never happens, which I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think to that, I would say that something like Chekhov's gun, that kind of device is only really relevant in more traditional narratives, and I think this is so untraditional in the way that it's sort of, you know, they've done it very sort of improvised, and they've sort of pieced it together through these tiny little vignette I feel like it's it doesn't necessarily follow those same expectations.
Speaker 2: No, no, I agree, I agree, and it does. It does sort of set up that, you know, you're thinking something's happened. Yeah, like they do the whole thing of these vignettes, and then you have the gaps in between, and you'd left to wonder what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's just realistic. He would wouldn't heed be terrified and he did want to protect himself.
Speaker 2: Yeah. At least he didn't run though, which is nice. He didn't like leave his dad alive.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he stood his ground. Yeah. I think. Yeah, it builds up the you know, the thing of oh, this is something really bad, and then you find out in the next scene what's actually happened. It's the contrast is really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because Patrick of you know, a week and a half ago, probably would have run away, Yes, and they wouldn't see him again for three months.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think that scene you mentioned with the dad was really pivotal, Yeah, with him feeling that he actually does have the support.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not just on the zone in this So next day my main note is really sad wife dead.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It felt like a very much like a last minutes sort of, Oh, let's give him a bit of character development, like, yeah, here's a quick cry and gets it over and done.
Speaker 2: It's going to say it gives Reese a chance to cry, like everyone else cry. I want to cry, Yeah, show.
Speaker 1: That I can. And then when he's done that for about two seconds, it's like, I'm done, I'm done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's go back to the plot. Yeah, so here we find out that the loan chart's been hit by a car. Whoo, which was Now I don't know if you'll be impressed here or not knowing how you think? So he said it was hit last last Tuesday. Yeah, So therefore I've now worked that back and I've labeled every day of the week to work out what.
Speaker 1: I care, what day? I like it, I like it, it upsets.
Speaker 2: I don't know if it would be realistic that her driving test was on a Sunday.
Speaker 1: Okay, they probably don't do them on a Sunday.
Speaker 2: I can't remember, but she did have a driving lesson on a Saturday, which is probably likely if it was your uncle doing it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what day are you taking it that she went out in the car.
Speaker 2: Well, presumably it has to be the day of the soup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, when he gets the phone buzz and goes off quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because then the day the next day the car need's fixing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it couldn't have been the day before because Patrick Roone just turned up that.
Speaker 1: Day unless it was the day of the car neid in fixing.
Speaker 2: Well potentially, so they have that driving practice on the Saturday. He does say, you know you've got another We'll see you again on Saturday. Oh okay, So presumably it's a Saturday thing they go out and do driving lessons.
Speaker 1: But maybe they do do test north on Sunday, don't Maybe.
Speaker 2: I don't remember. I can't remember it so a while since I failed several times, but they were all weekdays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like that.
Speaker 2: M hmm, I thought you might.
Speaker 1: Yes, I remember in my twelve days of Christine working out all the years and boring everyone to tears with that.
Speaker 2: So Christmas of that year fell on a Wednesday, if anyone wants to know, Okay, so yeah, Loan Sharks will know over he's in critical care.
Speaker 1: So I feel like if there is a twist in this said, it's that that Yeah, Julia was responsible for that, although it's not made explicit, but you have to be two and two together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I didn't. I think I thought that it was Alex that had done it. Oh, because he taught, he's the one that says about it, and you know, family will do whatever and all that kind of stuff. M I kind of think I thought it was him, or that he was covering and it was actually Mea had done it, not intentionally, and like in one of their driving lessons or something, and he's covering up this horrible thing that his niece has done. Yeah, but yeah, I think it is much more obvious that it's Julia really.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and it's nice that both parents have secretly done something to support Patrick without wanting anyone else to know.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Nice symmetry there.
Speaker 2: They're all on his side.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: We've got a last little section of just Trevor and Julia wrapping presence Christmas Eve. He confesses or she confesses to knowing that he didn't take the money.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that Patrick's told her, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Which is good. I think he's owning up to what he's done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, cut your credits. Yeah, it's a sweet ending when they tell each other they love each other and everything and embrace. It's very sweet, and they refer to plodding On, Yes, which obviously comes back as a title later on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, apparently that was the we were going to call it that originally, Yes, this episode.
Speaker 1: But yeah, on the podcast Steve Goes, we couldn't call it that. Can you imagine watching an episode called plodding On?
Speaker 2: So yeah, it is nice, is like we said at the start, for what it is, it is nice exactly. Yeah, I think it's good. But if it were true inside number nine, like considering how I find Alex looks a little bit shifty and a little bit weird, Like if it had been a regular episode and number side number nine, he would still in the uncle. He would be the father of this child. The mother would be mea. There'd be some horrible like incestuous situation has gone on, yeah, and like and then the aliens would have turned up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, completely, just an episode put some.
Speaker 2: Horrible interst situation. I wouldn't be surprised at I'm sure I saw some interview with Reese where they talked about this and everyone assumed he was the bad guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think on the podcast he said that people assumed he was a pedophile because there was this line where he says about me, oh don't she look lovely or something, and apparently everyone was like, oh, he's a dodgy one, yeah, because he always is. Yeah, but he was like, no, that was just genuinely just being nice, like, yeah, you try to be a nice KUYD. None believes you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but yeah, I fully expected the kid to get abducted or the sun to have an overdose or something horrible to happen, and obviously that's not nice, But that felt much more in keeping with the series.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I suppose it is in a way comparable to something like Empty Orchestra, where it's like quite a happy ending and there aren't any major sort of disasters.
Speaker 2: He is a happy ending.
Speaker 1: Yeah, everyone bought the drug dealer, Yeah, shark sorry, Yeah, then.
Speaker 2: He might pull through it be a Christmas miracle, who knows, but hope not. But when your sort of twist is there isn't really a.
Speaker 1: Twist, it's a little bit disappointing.
Speaker 2: It just feels a bit like, oh, you've built up nothing. M I saw that. Steve said it's his favorite episode or one of his favorite episodes. Yes he did, yes, which seems so weird.
Speaker 1: Do a lot of people like this episode or dislike this episode.
Speaker 2: Do you think I think it's usually on the bottom of the in the sort of bottom ten percent of rankings kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yes, because you did. You did mention last week after we finished recording something, and then I'm going to try and recreate the noise that I made when you told me. But oh, I remember that. Yeah, so what was it?
Speaker 2: You found a TikTok list a ranking of all the episodes, and someone had put this as their number one.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think I missed some noise like that, and you said I expect that exact noise when I tell it on the podcast next week. I've forgotten that. Yeah, yeah, it was quite a shock that it would be someone's number one.
Speaker 2: I could understand some people really love it for whatever reason. Yeah, but it to actually be the top one seems a stretch in a way says to me that you don't it's not this.
Speaker 1: Show you like, yes, exactly, like you've liked a different show exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, be try watching EastEnders or something. But that, in a way is the great thing about this series that Yeah, yes I don't like it. I'm not a big fan, but listening for everyone like someone else really loved it. If anyone wants to make the Poirot vampire story, oh I'm here for someone to pitch that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would be very entertaining.
Speaker 2: Boy has to team up with with what's his face?
Speaker 1: Van Helsing?
Speaker 2: Van Helsing? That's the one. Yeah, mean has been murdered and yeah, what's going on?
Speaker 1: So, I mean, we've been putting off this question, but yeah, what we're going to rate it?
Speaker 2: Well, you go first. It seems slightly more positive.
Speaker 1: I'm so stumped.
Speaker 2: I am.
Speaker 1: I'm so stumped because I'm looking at my lower end. Yes, I'm looking at what I've put towards the bottom of my list, and Empty Orchestra's got a one and and the Winner has got a two, And I'm trying to decide would I rather watch I'd rather watch this than Empty Orchestra? Yes, because I just find that so difficult to watch. Yea, and the Winner is it's probably on a part. So I think I'll give this a two as well. Even though I think it's really good, I just don't think it's a good episode of in Souvenumber nine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the thing, Like, if I'm ranking it as just in general, no, it's probably a six or some six or seven or something of just a regular drama, like it's a very very good episode of EastEnders.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, but then are we being unfair? You know? But will be saying, well, you can't do something different with this, so you know it's hard, isn't it.
Speaker 2: You've kind of taught me around in all of this chat, and I've been surprised at how much we've had to talk about. And I'm looking back at previous episodes and I think I'm going to surprise you, say a three.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to give it the benefit of what it did. Yeah, because I've ranked that the same sort of level of the Understudy okay, which I wouldn't really want to watch either again massively really higher than Winner Is Empty Orchestra.
Speaker 1: Yeah. It's funny because I started this saying I think I liked it more than you, and I've given it a lower number.
Speaker 2: Now, Yeah, well I was expecting to do a four or five.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm looking at others and I'm like, last gasp, I gave a three, and I quite enjoy that. There's some good bits in that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gave that a four and I'm thinking that was I'd probably just rather rewatch that than they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I just I wait now for the moment when I put up our rankings on social media at the end of the series. Yeah, and you always get people commenting and like in shock at what we've given some episodes. Yeah, yeah, sorry, but that's how it works.
Speaker 2: That person that ranked it at the top won't be happy.
Speaker 1: No, they won't any clue where the hair was, you know.
Speaker 2: What, I completely even forgot to look for it. It could be fucking anywhere.
Speaker 1: I haven't supotted it for ages.
Speaker 2: Where do we think it was?
Speaker 1: I'm guessing, well, somewhere in the house. I was going to say, somewhere in the kitchen. That's really helpful, isn't it, because the whole episode is in the kitchen.
Speaker 2: I completely forgot to look.
Speaker 1: I'm going to guess on the microwave if they have a microwave.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's quite a tricky one. It's in their sort of Welsh dresser in the bit like the coveredy bit at the top with the glass. It's on the bottom shelf in there. And did you support our episode title. We'll be back to tell you next week where that was.
Speaker 1: We will we're back with Misdirection next week. Hm.
Speaker 2: Another one I haven't seen since it aired, have you know? I'm very excited for I haven't watched it again. I don't know why. Yeah, I remember enjoying it.
Speaker 1: Though, Yeah, I remember really liking it. Yeah. Just before we finish, I want to share another lovely message that's comeing to us.
Speaker 2: I like these these are nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's lovely, isn't it. This one is from Katie. Hi, Katie, she says, can I just say that you guys are my favorite podcast at the moment. It will be a somber day when you finally discuss series nine, Episode nine, Episode nine. I think she means episode six.
Speaker 2: She's done at once, removed and we flipped tipside down.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you ever desire to create a podcast that's asking the other works of Stephen Reese, just now I will be there to listen and love. Keep up the wonderful work.
Speaker 2: Oh so sweet, it's Katie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you. We really do appreciate hearing people who enjoy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's lovely.
Speaker 1: Because yeah, we're just waffling away at me and yeah, nice to know that people actually listen and enjoy. Yeah, it is, but yeah, I don't think there's anything else to say. We'll see you next time for misdirection indeed, But until then, I think it's time to close the advent calendar door or number nine.
Speaker 2: But you never really leave, do you.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to the Ninth Degree. If you'd like to get in touch, you can find us on Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok at ninth Degree Pod, or email us at ninth Degree Pod at gmail dot com. You can also leave us a rating or a review wherever you get your podcasts