Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 1: It's time for your morning wake up call.
Speaker 3: Here's Amy King.
Speaker 1: Good morning. It's five o'clock, straight up. This is your wake up call for Thursday, February twenty seven. February's almost gone. What in the heck is going? It's time speeding up on me? Feels like it is okay. We know that. The big thing today this morning, you probably if you're just waking up, is that Gene Hackman has died. We're going to be talking about that his career. We're going to talk with ABC's Jim Ryan about what happened. He was found in New Mexico along with his wife and their dog. They all died in their house. So we're going to talk about that. Got lots going on. Also, speaking of dogs, what if you could extend the life of your furry friend. Apparently it's a possibility. We're gonna be talking about that on wake Up Call this morning. Here's some other things ahead on wake Up Call. The EPA says the batteries of almost seven hundred electric vehicles and about three hundred solar energy storage units have been removed from the Eton and Palisades fire burn areas. THEPA is just about done with Phase one of the cleanup. That means the Army Corps of Engineers can move in to focus on Phase two to remove fire debris from damaged and destroyed properties. President Trump has promised that any cuts to the federal government will focus on waste and will not impact Social Security, Medicare, or Medicaid. During his first Cabinet meeting of his second term, he also praised Elon Musk's efforts to cut fraud and waste. We're gonna be talking talking with kfi's White House correspondent John Decker more about that what came out of the cabinet meeting that's coming up in just a couple of minutes. Also, we're going out and about to an exhibit more than two thousand years in the making that's coming up this hour. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Oscar winning actor Gene Hackman and his wife have been found dead at their home in New Mexico.
Speaker 4: Sata fake County Sheriff's deputies were sent to Hackman's Mountain Side home Wednesday afternoon to check on the welfare of the ninety five year old and his sixty four year old wife. At around one forty five pm, deputies found the couple dead, along with a dog.
Speaker 1: ABC's Jim Ryan says officials haven't said how the couple died, but the sheriff did say foul play is not suspected. Hackman's career spanned four decades. He had a trophy case filled with awards, including two Oscars. And you know, he was in so many movies. We're gonna, as I mentioned, we're gonna be talking with Jim Ryan about this, but Will and I were talking about our favorite Gene Hackman movies and he goes, he was the best Lex Luthor and I'm like, oh, yeah, Superman, he was the best.
Speaker 2: Hello New West Coast, My West Coast, Costa, Lex, Lutherville, Marinadlex, Odisburg, Odisburg.
Speaker 1: And Odisburg. Oh, that was just classic. Thirty seven thousand U S Service and patient care workers are going to be out on strike for a second and final day amid contract talks. The strike started early yesterday, with picketing in all ten u SEE campuses, including UCLA, You See Irvine, and you see medical facilities across the state. Two unions representing the workers claim unfair labor practices. The university has accused them of spreading misinformation and failing to negotiate in good faith. Jury in la is about to start its first day first full day of deliberations in the trial of an Orange County judge charged with killing his wife.
Speaker 5: Closing arguments in the trial of seventy four year old judge Jeffrey Ferguson were delivered on Wednesday. Prosecutor say Ferguson shot his wife, Cheryl, while drunk and arguing with her in August of twenty twenty three. If the jury does not acquit Ferguson, it will design whether he is guilty of second degree murder or of the lesser charge of involuntary manslaughter.
Speaker 1: Ferguson testified this week the shooting was an accident. State lawmakers have introduced two bills they say would make California more competitive for the film industry.
Speaker 6: The bills, introduced in both chambers in Sacramento, follow Governor Newsom's proposal to increase the state tax credit for Hollywood productions to seven hundred and fifty million dollars. LA Mayor Karen Bass joined lawmakers and industry representatives in support of the legislation.
Speaker 4: I don't want to stand here five years from now and reminisce about an industry that.
Speaker 1: Has left us.
Speaker 6: Productions in LA have slowed in recent years due to COVID actors and writers' strikes and more lucrative tax credits offered elsewhere. Michael Monks KFI News, ok.
Speaker 1: So, speaking of Gene Hackman, his list of movies is huge. He started his movie career in nineteen sixty one Mad Dog Call I don't I didn't hear about that one? And then he did a couple more, and then in nineteen sixty seven was Bonnie and Clyde When and that's when he got his first Academy Award nomination. And then let's see what else, the Gypsy Moths. There's a bunch of movies that I don't I was too young to remember. Downhill Racer I never sang for my father. He got an Academy Award nomination for that. Never heard of it. French Connections should be in there. Somewhere yeap French connection. Of course he got an Academy Award win for that one. That was in nineteen seventy one. But then I'm looking at this listen. Okay remember the Poseidon Adventure. Oh yeah, where the boat goes and a big title wave comes and tips it upside down and like six of them live and they have to get to the the what is the bottom of the boat to get out?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, I think he was was he? No, he wasn't the father in that one? Was he? He wasn't. I can't remember. It's been forever. Yeah, Okay, Young Frankenstein he had a cameo. And then there was the Fringe connection too. Is that any good? I can't tell you. And of course Superman Lex Luthor he was he was in like one, two, three, four, but one was probably the best Miss Tuchbo car. And then he was in Reds and then Hoosiers was fantastic, that's right, the coach. Yeah. And then and how about this one? I forgot about this one too, No way out Kevin Costner. Oh yeah, he's a bad guy in that one. Yeah. And there's a whole lot more. We're gonna be talking with ABC's Jim Ryan about that in just a couple of minutes. But right now, let's say good morning to kfi's White House correspondent John Decker. Good morning, John. President Trump held his first cabinet meeting. Tell us all about it.
Speaker 3: Well, that's right, and it was attended by someone who was not confirmed by the US Senate, and that's Elon Musk, who is heading up the Department of Government Efficiency. He actually spoke more yesterday during that cabinet meeting than the Vice president did, which is pretty remarkable. I've covered these cabinet meetings for so many years and I can't recall a similar situation where a private citizen attended a president's cabinet meeting. But the president spoke yesterday as top priority inflation, bringing down the cost of eggs and other goods. He also announced that there will be new tariffs imposts on all of our trading partners starting on April the second is when he will make that announcement. And in addition to that, Ukraine is something that he spoke about. Tomorrow, he'll meet with President Zelensky at the White House. They'll sign this mineral rights deal, and President Zelensky coming to the White House to sign that agreement. I'll lot on the agenda for the President during the course of his cabinet meeting yesterday, and I even spoke to two Cabinet secretaries, Doug Bergham and Brooke Rawlins after the meeting concluded.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Burgham, I know Rawlins, I don't what's he's as Secretary.
Speaker 3: Of Brooke Rawlins, Yeah, let me correct you.
Speaker 1: No, that's fine.
Speaker 3: She is she Yes, she is the agricultural Secretary. I said, I think that she has the toughest job right now because of the egg situation in this country. And you know that was my primary focus of that interview is what are you doing? What is the administration doing to bring down the cost of eggs in the short term and make sure that this is not a long term problem in the US. I saw one estimate indicating that we're likely to see prices go even higher in the short term, upwards of perhaps forty percent more. And you know, I don't know about you. It's about ten dollars for a dog in extra large eggs here on the East coast right now. So that's a big focus for her right now.
Speaker 1: I would imagine there will be a lot of spotlight on her. And as you mentioned, the President said specifically, we're going to work on getting those egg prices down, but there's no quick fix to it because they had to kill so many chickens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's because of the bird flu, the avian flu, and that's the reason why we're looking to now import eggs from some of the countries that we're actually going to be placing tariffs upon, Canada, Mexico and other places that the US does trade with. So that's the short term fix there. Today, the President meets with his British counterpart, UK Prime Minister Keir Starmer. That meeting will take place in just a few hours. There will be a joint press conference that will take place early this afternoon for US eleven am. That's the time period that will take place for you. So it's been a really busy week for President Trump. You know, he met with Macron. President Trump, I met with the French President Macron on Monday, the cabinet meeting yesterday, the UK Prime Minister today, and then the President Zelenski tomorrow. I can't recall a busy week like this one at the White House in quite some time.
Speaker 1: I think that's kind of business as usual for Trump, though he kind of is moving at warp speed. Hey, they he and mccron were pretty chummy, which you know, they've known each other for a while. Has he met the Prime Minister of the UK yet?
Speaker 3: This will be their first meeting. As you know, the President met with quite a few British Prime ministers during the course of his four years in office, but here Starmer is relatively new to the job as the British Prime Minister. So it's a meeting in which they're getting to know each other. In fact, they're going to have a working lunch together that will precede their joint press conference. So that's not something that we saw with the French President Macron. That's because the President and Macron do know each other going back the past eight years.
Speaker 1: Okay, and here's a little inside baseball. As you know that John is our White House correspondent. He gets to get in and interview the President periodically. We'll see how much that happens with the White House's new plan to structure who gets into where. But I know that you were in the Oval the other day and you got a special something from the President.
Speaker 3: Well, that's right. You know, what I got was one of the pens that he used to sign an executive order. Yet, why didn't he talk to me the pen? But in actuality, that's the second pen that President Trump has given me. Gave me a pen in his first term. It was the pen that he used to sign that huge tax cut bill in his first year in office. So I guess he likes giving me pens. I don't know, but that was an interesting time. I was in the Oval office with President Trump for about forty five minutes, answered about a dozen of my questions, many of which made a lot of news in that news cycle. Amy, The news cycle moves so quickly that we're already onto something else. Talking about, for instance, today, the fact that you had Elon Musk in that cabinet meeting yesterday.
Speaker 1: I know everybody's kind of losing it over that because it's just different than what it's different.
Speaker 3: It's different, that's for sure. And you know what I was looking at and watching Again, I was not in that cabinet meeting yesterday, but I was watching the video and I looked at the body language of the other cabinet secretaries and to me, maybe it's just me looking at this, they didn't seem so amused by Elon Musk. You know, maybe if you can look at that video again, you can tell me what you think. Amy, But to me, it's not like they're chummy with Elon Musk. And I think there's some uncomfortableness because.
Speaker 1: Well, he's going to last budgets.
Speaker 3: There's that. And he's the only one in the room that hasn't been confirmed by the US Senate. He's a private citizen, and you know, I think that they view him to some extent as an interloper being at that cabinet meeting yesterday.
Speaker 1: All right, well, it'll be interesting to watch as always. You heard the news about Gene Hackman. What was your favorite Gene Hackman movie? Can't talk?
Speaker 3: You know, there's so many. I actually watched a Gene Hackman movie within the past few weeks. It's an old one. I don't know if you're familiar with the Conversation. It's a really all one directed by Francis port Cooppola. But I loved Gene Hackman in so many roles. When I think Hollywood casting directors say or said, you know, during the course of the height of his career, I'm looking for a real badass. They go Gene Hackman. He's your guy. Get Gene Hackman for this role. He was great. Really love that guy all right.
Speaker 1: Jafi's White House correspondent John Decker, thanks so much for the information.
Speaker 3: Thank you, have a great DAYBU you too.
Speaker 1: Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour new from the Supreme Court has temporarily blocked a court order requiring the Trump administration to release billions of dollars in foreign aid. ABC's Nicole Antonio says the ruling came down late last night.
Speaker 7: At issue nearly two billion dollars in foreign aid payments the administration has frozen. A lower court judge ordered the government to unfreeze those payments by midnight last night, but in order from Chief Justice John Roberts has now pushed back the deadline so the justices can consider the case.
Speaker 1: The AP says the Trump administration is eliminating more than ninety percent of usaid contracts and sixty billion dollars in overall assistance around the world. An Israeli official says the country's military will not withdraw from a strategic corridor in the Gaza Strip, which is part of the ceasefire. The official says Israeli forces needed to remain in the area on the Gaza side of the border with Egypt to prevent weapons smuggling. The officials spoke hours after Hamas released the remains of four hostages in exchange for over six hundred Palestinian prisoners. That was the last exchange of the CeaseFire's first phase, which ends this weekend. Doctors in Texas are urging the public to take a current meals measles outbreak seriously.
Speaker 7: There are lots of childhood rashes and fevers.
Speaker 1: This is not that this is a much more serious illness. Doctor Laura Johnson at Covenant Health in Lubbock says, in addition to one death, doctors are treating about two dozen other measles cases that have taken a serious turn. She says many of the infected children are facing serious respiratory problems linked to the virus. Health and Human Services Secretary RFK Junior said yesterday they are monitoring the outbreak. Oscar winning actor Gene Hackman, his wife, and their dog have been found dead in their home in Santa Fe, New Mexico. Gene Hackman was ninety five. We're gonna check in with ABC's Jim Ryan to talk more about that. In just a second, LA County Supervisor Catherine Barger has announced wildfire victims can get up to eighteen thousand dollars in economic support. Residents affected have until March eighteenth to apply for the money. Governor Newsom has ordered the Parole Board to investigate whether there would be a risk to the public if Lyell and Eric Menendez get released from prison. The brother's relatives are holding a press conference this afternoon to discuss what they say are key facts in the case. A hearing on whether the brothers should be re sentenced to scheduled for March twentieth at six oh five. Handle on the news, lawmakers are trying to lure movie makers back to Hollywood. Right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Jim Ryan. So, Jim woke up to some sad news this morning. But tell us what we know about the death of Gene Hackman, his wife and their dog.
Speaker 4: Well, but not much really, We don't know a whole lot. But I think you're right. Probably he was ninety five years old. People wouldn't have been too surprised to wake up and find that Gene Hackman had died. But yeah, these unusual circumstances. Not only Gene Hackman, but his wife, the famous concert pianist, and their dog also found. Now, this all came about as a result of a welfare checky yesterday that somebody neighbors called the Santa Fe Sheriff's Department after they hadn't heard from Hackman and his wife for some time, and the sure enough, the deputies went there and made this really awful discovery. How did they die, we don't know, But early this morning the Sheriff's department did issue a statement saying that they didn't see suspicious circumstances, they didn't see foul play involved in this. So we'll just have to wait and see Amy, what is determined about this by the medical examiner and what the Sheriff's office tells us later today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, your mind can go to many places on this one.
Speaker 4: It can, and you can speculate all you want, but I'm not going to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And so you said, Gene Hackman was ninety five and his wife was sixty four, and they've been married for quite a while.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the early nineties, I think, and fairly soon after they were married, they moved out to Santa Fe. Had been living there quietly in this mountain side home for a long time. Hackman retired from acting. I think it was seventy six years old, so he's been retired for quite a long time and kind of living his life out there. He'd been seen around Santa Fe. He would attend cultural events out there. The one time he really rose above the radar out there was when he got into it with a homeless man who apparently insulted his wife. Hackman had given the man money in the past, but for whatever reason this time around, Hackman either ignored him or said something to him. The guy insulted his wife, and Hackman slapped him. So that was twenty twelve. It's been a while since that happened, but I mean it's kind of solidifies Hackman's tough guy image.
Speaker 8: I suppose.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was in the Marines, Yes he was, and he was in We got a list of some of the movies and we were going over it earlier. I mean, just the sheer number of spectacular performances.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I mean Stephen and I were saying, I mean he had some movies that were undeniably masterpieces, right, the French connection in Hoosiers. But he was in some bombs too. He was in Superman four The Quest for.
Speaker 1: Peace, but he was in Superman one and was fabulous as Lex Luthor. I know it's that Smucker's.
Speaker 4: Cigars. What's that from?
Speaker 1: Uh cigars?
Speaker 4: Yeah, cigars.
Speaker 1: I don't remember that.
Speaker 4: That sacment is the blind Hermit in Young Frankenstein.
Speaker 1: Oh gosh, okay, I got.
Speaker 4: A surprise for you, cigars.
Speaker 1: Okay, here's a couple more of Crimson Tide. Yeah, that was spectacular with Denzel Washington. I love, love, love that movie.
Speaker 4: And get Shorty the firm gets Shorty, right, unforgiven, he's got a long I mean, his resume went for miles and miles. Two Academy Awards yea, and many other accolades, and.
Speaker 1: Of course the voice of Home Depot for several years.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, I remember that about that, but I guess he was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I'm gonna leave you to work, you see. Yeah. Well he he, as you mentioned, retired from acting. Said he didn't want to do it anymore. And I found this a quote that somebody asked him. It was GQ back in twenty eleven, Hey, you know, would you consider doing acting again? And he said, well, if I could do it in my own house, maybe without them disturbing anything, and just one or two people, then he'd think about it. I love it. Rest in peace, Gene Hackman. Thanks Jim Ryan, appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Hope to learn more later today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thanks sir. Thanks. Police have rated Huntington Parks City Hall and the homes of several officials, including Mayor Karina Masias.
Speaker 5: Warts were served on behalf of the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office as part of a widespread corruption investigation. DA Nathan Hoffman confirms warrants were served at eleven places. Those also include the homes of current and former city council members.
Speaker 1: Kfi's Mark Mayfield says the raids yesterday also included the home of the city manager and a construction company in Glendale. A house cat in San Diego County's contracted bird flu. The Health Department says the cat died after likely getting the H five N one virus from eating rab had food. Kats in Washington, Oregon, and California have all contracted the flu. It has decimated chicken flocks and driven up egg prices across the country. Governor Newsom has announced a blueprint plan to help the state's economy.
Speaker 9: If we were going to put out an economic development plan, it had to be bottom up, not topped out. It had to be informed by unique diversity of each region in the state of California.
Speaker 1: Newsom says his plan will help create jobs and grow business. It also includes ways to help LA rebuild from the wildfires.
Speaker 9: Not naive about the economic challenges, particularly here in southern California, and that's why I was appropriate today we announced the statewide economic blueprint here in Southern California.
Speaker 1: So far, two hundred and eighty seven million dollars has been invested, and Newsom has announced an additional one hundred and forty million in funding. Newsom says the blueprint focuses on what Californians want and their concerns about issues like displacement, macroeconomic changes, what's happening in the global economy, and impacts of tariffs. The Star of Bonnie and Clyde, The French Connection, Hoosiers, No Way Out, and many many other movies. Gene Hackman has died. Police say they found Hackman, his wife, and their dog dead in their home in Santa Fe, New Mexico, yesterday. They say there's no sign of foul play, but they are investigating. Gene Hackman was ninety five. The La County ta's office has served several search warrants at Huntington Park City Hall and at the homes of the city mayor's home and some former and current city council members, part of an investigation into possible misuse of public money tied to an aquatics center construction project. Hamas has released the bodies of four hostages to the Red Cross. At about the same time, a Red Cross convoy with several dozen released Palestinian prisoners left a prison in Israel. More than six hundred Palestinians were released. This exchange comes just days before the first phase of the Israel Hamas ceasefire is set to end at six oh five. Tandle On, the news and editor at The Washington Post, has quit because of Jeff Bezos's plans to change the paper. I want to remind you that we have tickets to go see an evening with Lyle Lovett and his acoustic group. It's going to be a fabulous show. At the Crito Center for the Performing Arts, and we are going to have five pair of tickets to give away that's coming up sometime between now and the top of the hour, so keep your phones handy out and about this week went back in time to explore the Dead Sea Scrolls at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library. We got to catch up with the chief marketing officer for the Reagan Library, Melissa Giller. And along with all of the wonderful things you can always see at the Reagan Library, including Air Force one, a stealth fighter, and a replica of the Oval Office, there is also the Dead Sea Scrolls. So Melissa, please tell us about this exhibit that is two thousand years in the making.
Speaker 10: Yeah, so this exhibition is traveling. We are the first location to have it after all of the items have been resting in Israel for a cup of years.
Speaker 1: So we are also the.
Speaker 10: Only location on the West coast, So if you live anywhere west of the Mississippi, you have to come out to the Reagan Library. And it's an extraordinary.
Speaker 11: Exhibition that really highlights and showcases these ancient manuscripts that are two thousand years old that cover the entirety of the Hebrew Bible, which is also the Old Testament in the Christian faith, as well as two hundred other objects that really showcase the history and culture of ancient Judaism in the formation of Christianity.
Speaker 1: Okay, so these scrolls are what we're used to write the Bible.
Speaker 10: These are scrolls that I think sort of either copies of the Bible adaptations of the Bible. But they have found in their excavations of the Judaeian Desert, the entirety of the Jewish Bible, which again is a Testament, with the exception of the Book of Esther and they've actually even found scrolls that cover sections that aren't.
Speaker 1: Even in the Bible.
Speaker 10: These scrolls are so sensitive to light one thousand years old, they give them to live for another two thousand years, if not longer, and so these scrolls can only be in the light for three months every five years. So this exhibition's currently been open three months.
Speaker 1: So if you don't see it now, so you're not going to see it for another yeah, five years, that's right.
Speaker 10: So between February twenty six, twenty seven, and twenty eight, these eight scrolls we have on display are all being removed an entire new set of eight scrolls are going in.
Speaker 1: Okay, and what language are the scrolls?
Speaker 10: And they are almost entirely in Hebrew, however, summer in Greek and summer in Aramaic.
Speaker 1: And what's really cool.
Speaker 10: Is that the Hebrew scrolls are written in the exact same block Hebrew script that people read.
Speaker 1: Today if you can read Hebrew.
Speaker 10: So if you can read Hebrew, you can actually see these scrolls and actually build read them.
Speaker 1: Okay, I should have brought my mother.
Speaker 12: Okay, So now when we go and we look at the actual scrolls, I think that I actually saw them or partial ten fifteen years ago, and I was like.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's just a little tiny piece. It's a fragment. So how do you take those fragments and decipher everything?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: So I'm going to answer that in a couple of ways.
Speaker 10: Two of the scrolls we have on display, or when you hear the word scroll, it's what you expect.
Speaker 7: It's an actual scroll.
Speaker 10: However, most of what they found are these little, itty bitty fragments, and it was like puzzle pieces. They spent decades putting these things back together.
Speaker 1: In the most, you know, the hardest.
Speaker 10: There was no box to follow for the right for the puzzle. And so some of the scrolls that we have are like you said, they're truly fragments of pieces of fragments that made up a larger scroll. Some are like the entirety of a scroll, and so it's just a's sort of fascinating to see that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what are some of the other things you're going to see, Because it's more than the Dead Sea scrolls.
Speaker 10: Here, I can share a handful of my favorites.
Speaker 1: Okay, what are your So my favorite.
Speaker 10: Is probably an actual two ton piece of the Western Wall from Jerusalem. Sometimes you will call it the Whaling Wall, and it has never traveled outside of Israel before, as many of these objects have not, and you actually are allowed to touch it.
Speaker 1: And if you've been to Israel and you're.
Speaker 10: Familiar with the Western Wall, that's the wall where people go and leave notes and prayers, yep, and spend a moment to reflect.
Speaker 1: We allow our guests to do the same thing. He also showed me there were some rocks they're like about this big, But you said that there is significance to these rocks that are rounded. What are those?
Speaker 10: So they're actually called ballistic balls? Okay, and they are rocks there as you said about Yay big and they were the actual weapons used through sort of slingshot kind of mentality or science to literally bring down the Second Temple and bring down parts of the Western Wall.
Speaker 1: So parts of history are here at the Reagan Library. It's literally how they're very cool. Romans defeated the area. That's okay, we're using. And then there's also pieces of the Jesus boat. I tell us about that.
Speaker 10: Yeah, So in nineteen eighty six, the Sea of Galilee do to a drought kind of the water levels decreased, and when the water levels decreased, they found a boat and as they were pulling it out and excavating it, it took almost I think it was like three or four years to excavate, it took ten years to dry out, and once it was dry they did carbon dating, and through carbon dating they were able to prove that the wood from the boat was made as pulled from Lebanon and Israel, and that the boat was used by fishermen on the Sea of Galilee the exact same time that Jesus was a fisherman on the Sea of Galilee.
Speaker 1: It could be Jesus, so they call it the Jesus Boat.
Speaker 10: Now, the boat itself is intact, but it's really fragile and it doesn't leave Israel. So what they are traveling are wood fragments from.
Speaker 1: The boat, and you can actually see those. Yes, how are people responding to this? I mean, I don't know if you can tell this video. It's very crowded. It's Tuesday, and it's very crowded.
Speaker 10: We've been getting really large crowds. It's really wonderful to see, you know. I had thought that maybe we'd get a strong Jewish audience because again, these scrolls are in Hebrew and they're from Jerusalem. And what I'm really finding is that we're getting a really big Christian base because a lot of people do believe that these are the early formations of Christianity, and it really gets at the history and all of those things. Of course, you don't have to be religious either, so it's just a remarkable historical excibent.
Speaker 1: I love going back into history. Melissa Giller, thank you so much for your time this morning. House Dead Sea Scrolls at the Reagan Library. That's where we are out and about this week. The exhibition goes through September second, and again she mentioned that the scrolls swap out, so the next swap they're doing one like this weekend, and then the next time they swap is in June, so you would actually see different scrolls because they can only have a limited number of them out there, and as she mentioned, they're kept in very low light. We've got a video of it and I'm going to post that on my Instagram at Amy K King, so you can get a little sneak peek at that. Also at KFI AM six forty. I'm going to get that up in the next hour or so. But really a cool way to go spend an afternoon and step back in time. You're gonna go on Friday, Saturday or Sunday, Melissa says, you should definitely make reservations because it has been selling out every weekend and we were there again on Tuesday and it was super crowded. It was amazing. So, yeah, a lot of a lot of interest in the Dead Sea Scrolls, and they're like from they have like psalms, and they have they have a replica of the Ten Commandments out there right now. But it's just fascinating. Anyway, if you want to get more information. It's Reaganlibrary dot com, Reaganlibrary dot com. And again I'm gonna be posting that on my Instagram at Amy Kking. It'll be up on Facebook two and also at KFI AM six forty. Time to get in your business now with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho Courtney. For the first time since before the pandemic, delinquent student loan borrowers are going to see their credit scores affected if they don't pay. Yes, definitely taking a hit. Good morning.
Speaker 13: This is definitely eye opening because more than five more than nine million, not four million, nine million folks are currently behind on their payments.
Speaker 1: So there's a company. Are they just not paying at all or because they know they kind of paused any kind of consequences or punishments during the pandemic, But so did people just stop paying and not start restart? Yeah?
Speaker 13: See, see what happened was during we had that big long break during the pandemic, and then the student loan bills restart in twenty twenty three. But bar's got that one year grace period from having the worst repercussions, so some of them it took them a little bit longer to be able to start paying for things. But now those who don't make the payments can be reported to the credit bureaus and that's where the problem lies. So the delinquencies are actually going to start appearing in credit files between now and May.
Speaker 1: So if you have to pay, you should be paying now.
Speaker 13: The Vantage Score, which is this credit scoring firm, they say that they could see people who are behind on their bills, that their credit score could drop by as much as one hundred and twenty nine points. And they expect and this is another crazy stat they expect two point three million people to see their scores dip below six hundred and that's the threshold to being considered subprime.
Speaker 1: So yeah, you know it makes me want to buy a house. Yeah, makes things a lot harder for so many different things, including like renting a property now because they check your credit score to make sure that you're going to pay your bills.
Speaker 13: Definitely. I talk once in a while about my brother. My brother works in property management, and he says a lot of people come in from great schools and they have so much debt, most of the debt being in student loans, that he just they are not qualified because of the amount of debt that they have, so he says it's unfortunate. He thinks eventually they would be good, but at this point it's a little rough. So that's important when you're making and it's hard when you're young to make a decision on where you're going to college and how much you're going to pay, But that is something that you really have to think about. What's going to happen in the future when you're finished school and you have to start paying.
Speaker 1: Okay, yesterday you said that we were watching to see what was going to happen with in video. What happened and how did it affect the market?
Speaker 13: Well, they reported after the bell, the big chip maker, and it was good, not great, but enough for investors to be satisfied, and that's why we are seeing shares rising in the pre market. But in Vidia has been the biggest beneficiary of the massive surge in artificial intelligence spending that we've been talking about, also that big rise that we've been talking about within the stock market, but it's double the size of its revenue in the past two years because they're the dominant seller of processors that create and run artificial intelligence softwares. But there are concerns that the amount's going to slow down, that data center operators will slow their spending on AI. But in Nvidia kept saying yesterday, we're pretty optimistic about the future. But that's definitely giving an assist to stocks this morning. We're looking at out futures right now, up one hundred and fifteen points.
Speaker 1: All right, there, we are getting in your business with Bloomberg's Courtney Donaho. Courtney, thank you so much. We'll talk to you tomorrow, see you later. Okay, when we come back. What if you could give your papa pill and they'd live longer. Apparently that technology is right around the corner. So we're going to be talking about a clinical trial called Stay. It's apparently a real possibility. Gene Hackman has been found dead along with his wife and their dog in their mountainside home in Santa Fe, New Mexico. They were found during a welfare check yesterday. Hackman won two oscars during his more than forty year career for the French Connection. In nineteen seventy two and in nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 8: You've been talking about the Queen again.
Speaker 2: On Independent's Day.
Speaker 1: For the Unforgiven, Gene Heckman was ninety five. The number of Americans applying for jobless benefits last week has jumped to a two hundred and forty two thousand. That's a three month high. And if your heart stops beating, your watch can tell you about it. The FDA has approved a feature on the Pixel three watch. The feature detects if you have a pulse. If a pulse isn't detected, the watch will say hey, are you okay, and if you don't respond, it'll call nine one one for you. It's already available in other countries and could be in the US by the in the next month. Long Live the Dogs. We may soon be able to help our furry friends live longer, healthier lives. And to find out more about that, let's say good morning to the founder and CEO of Loyal Selene hallioyah, Okay, I probably mess that up. Selene. How do you say your last name? It's Holly Love, Holly, Holly love, holliwah oh hollywah.
Speaker 8: Okay, worry I have I have never had an instance in my life where somebody's pronounced it right on the first try.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I was going to try, and then I forgot to pre read it again and well anyway, so, uh Seline, thanks so much for coming on today. We were very fascinated about this story because we love our pets. We wish that they we could have them longer, and now there may be a way. So tell us about what this new clinical trial is and what we're looking for.
Speaker 8: Yeah, so we are developing a drug that, if it gets approved, you'll be able to go to your vet and de prescribed a drug that's only use case to keep your relatively healthy senior dog healthier longer. So we're basically trying to help senior dogs have a higher quality of life and a longer life too.
Speaker 1: And what does the pill do that enables him to live longer and healthier.
Speaker 8: So the kind of cornerstone of lifespan extension has been understand is colork restriction. Actually, so you could there's a really interesting study by the dog food company Purina that showed that you could expend a lifespan sorry that's my dog, extend the lifespan of labradors by two years if you colorqically restrict at them. But literally, no one wants to colorically restrict their dog. Maybe Della is barking because she just heard the word cloric restriction, and so what we worked really hard on was can you develop a pill that emulates the benefits that happens in a dog need colorqually restrict without making them lose weight, without not allowing them to have tree. And that's been the last five years of loyal Okay.
Speaker 1: So, and when you're talking about extending lives, you said for a laboratory it's like two years. And is the goal then just longevity or is it to have them longer and have them healthier because you know, if they're if they can't move and that kind of stuff, do you really want to have them longer?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 8: Yeah, the way to think about it is pulling out the healthy middle years. So yes, absolutely longer and healthier.
Speaker 1: And is this only for dogs? Are you looking at other at cats or just dogs?
Speaker 8: Well, my kitten is also running around and we have a contingency at a company that are heavy cat people, so we would consider cats too. I think it's definitely going to be on the docket, but we're currently focusing on dogs right now.
Speaker 1: Okay. So, and you are you have to get approval before you can start doing this from governmental organizations, So how do you go about getting that.
Speaker 8: Oh, well, it's a lot of work. We've been working on it for about five years. So yeah, it's actually like a it's like a human drug that you might get from your doctor. Right, you have to get FDA approval on you know, does it work, is it safe? And we are running through those processes and we're hopefully we're projecting FDA approval at the end of this year.
Speaker 1: Okay, And you are doing a study and is that before the FDA approval where you're doing some trials or does that come after.
Speaker 8: It's in parallel actually, okay, so yeah, we are running in parallel to the drug being on market. We are going to have about a thousand dogs in the US that are going to be followed for five or more years to look at Okay, how long does this extend our lifespan? And how how do they age over the years of being on this drug?
Speaker 1: Okay, and you're looking you're going to do a thousand dogs. You have all the dogs you need or do you need more?
Speaker 8: We're pretty close, but we could take some more. We could always take more dogs. And we have a couple of sites local in the area too. We have Plaza to the animal torrents. We have one a Norco one in Santa Clarita. If you're a dog owner and you're interested in being a part of a really important canine longevity study, you can go on our website loyal dot com and dropping your zip code and find all the study sites.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if you're interested in participating, and then does it also have information about this if people want to find out more about the new drug and where it's at, is that also? Okay?
Speaker 8: So that's Lloyd a lot of cute dog photos and.
Speaker 1: Lots of cute dog photos, which is so important. Okay. So it's loyal dot com and we've we've been talking to the founder and CEO of Loyal and I'm just going to say it's Selene, perfect all right, Thank you so much. Selene. Again, if you want more information, Loyal dot com is where to find it. Good luck. I think it would be wonderful if our furry friends could live longer and hang out with us for longer periods of time.
Speaker 8: Thanks, thank you, all.
Speaker 1: Right, Thanks Selene. I want to say congratulations to Travis in Hysperia, Robert in Laverne, John in Riverside, Kim in u Kaipa and Leslie in West Covina. All winners of tickets to go see Lyle Lovett coming to the Critos Center for the Performing Arts on March sixth at seven point thirty, and you can get tickets. If you didn't just win them, you can get them at Critoscenter dot com. And let me tell you if you go, you're in for a real treat. Congratulations and thanks for playing. Hopefully we'll have more tickets to Soritas Center coming up because they've got some really cool shows coming up. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Oscar winning actor Gene Hackman has died early this morning.
Speaker 4: Santa Fe County Sheriff A Don Mendoza confirmed that the ninety five year old Hackman, his sixty four year old wife, and their dog were all found dead in their home. Despite that, Mendoza says no foul play is suspected.
Speaker 1: ABC's Jim Ryans is the deaths were discovered yesterday afternoon when deputies did a welfare check at the couple's home. Hackman retired in the early two thousands. He'd been nominated five times for Academy Awards. He won twice for the French Connection and again for Unforgiven. The awards came twenty one years apart. Two teenagers have been arrested in connection with smash and grab robberies at the Anelope Valley Mall. Police say the first robbery happened February sixth at Kay's Jewelers. Kevin Jewelers was robbed February twenty first Sheriff's deputy say they found evidence from the robberies at the homes of both juveniles. The Trump administration has released three hundred and fifteen million dollars in federal funding for two major reservoir projects in California. The money was approved during the Biden administration, but it was temporarily frozen when President Trump took office. The Site's Reservoir project, which would be the largest new reservoir in California in fifty years, will get two hundred twenty six million dollars. The San Luis Reservoir expansion will get eighty nine million dollars to raise its damn height. LA may soon enact a policy mandating a land acknowledgment of Native American tribes.
Speaker 6: The acknowledgments aren't new. LA County starts its supervisors meeting with one every week, but City Councilman John Lee says the acts lack any real direct action to make life better for Native Americans. Unfortunately, sometimes these non acknowledgements have become performative platitudes, and honestly, they don't address today's realities. The city council unanimously approved a report from the Civil Rights Department outlining how a policy would work and called for the creation of a committee to craft such a statement. Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: And thousands people around the US are expected to run for wildfire victims on Saturday. Runners are being invited to log their miles on the workout app Strava for the Together LA Wildfire Relief Run. It'll raise money for the communities devastated by last month's fires in LA. It's the first event leading up to the fortieth LA Marathon, which happens March sixteenth. LA Marathon organizers say Recovery is a marathon, not a sprint. Again. The app to go and sign up to virtually run for LA is Strava, and that's happening on Saturday. This is KFI and KOSTI e HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland weather from KFI mostly sunny, highs in the upper seventies at the beaches, mid upper eighties for Metro LA and in the Orange County. A wind advisory in the Valley's in ie with highs in the eighties to about ninety seventies for the Antelope Valley. It's going to be partly cloudy and much cooler tomorrow, with highs in the sixties to low seventies. It's fifty two in Orange, fifty five Manhattan Beach, fifty seven in Lahabra, and fifty three in Si Ritos. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up Call, and if you missed any of wake Up Call, you can listen anytime on the iHeart Radio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.