Speaker 1: Why did dog my debate stop? Why did it slow it down?
Speaker 2: I just got really really busy with stand up comedy, with acting, with doing all parts of it. I mean, I was the booker, the camera guy, the lighting guy, setting up all the mics. There was a lot of work to even just make it. You get to the point to where we could start having the debate, and then I had to be on point and correct for the debate, and then the editing and production and post production and then the uploading, and it's hours and hours and hours of work, on top of getting asked to come to stand up comedy all over the country. It's much better to be able to to to be in a comedy club and to bring joy to people by the hundreds than it is to sit and have a physically and mentally exhausting conversation for four hours with one person who somehow wants to justify why slavery is okay. I spent so much of my time in studio teaching the other person how to have a discussion. And I know that sounds arrogant and pompous, but it's the reality. I would say my part, and then their response the first sentence out of their mouth would be a straw man fallacy, and I'd go, why hold on, I can't, no, I let you talk. I didn't spew out fallacy after fallacy. We have to we have They don't even understand it. They don't know what a straw man is. They don't know what an equivocation is. They don't get it. And so I have to not only be in the game, I have to be the referee for the game and the judge for the game. And I'm also live producing, thinking what's going to be good content for the listener. If I just cut him off and said, you're fucking moron, you believe in Santa Claus for grown ups, it might make you feel good. But the episode it's going to be four minutes long. They're never coming back, and Christians are never going to come on the show again because they don't want to be talked to like that. If that's what you want, then the show you want is an egotistical cable access show where a guy with a giant ego just wants to beat up on people that he's smarter than, doesn't want to have real conversations and debates about real issues, but just wants to beat up on people, call them names, call them idiots, and then hang up on them to boost his self esteem. I guess essentially a bully that doesn't want to fight a real person, but once to fight someone that you know, they know they can beat. And so that's a different show. Somebody's already doing that show, and so I didn't need to. I found myself becoming angry, irritated, exhausted with people sitting across from me for hours at a time justifying the mistreatment of women, child abuse, rape, Anything that God does is immediately good because God did it, no matter how horrific it is. It's the same conversation over and over, and the conversation was exhausting, and so I was spending all this time just to say the same thing to a different face, teach a new person what a fallacy was, teach them why their arguments were invalid. And then it was just like Groundhog Day for fourteen to fifteen years of them just Christian Africa, and then they would hear that episode and then they would email, Oh, yeah, I'm gonna make you your need of Jesus. You just wait till I get in studio, and then they would come in and I would say, oh, I think atheists are you know, humanists are very good people, So all Christians are terrible? Okay, So that's a straw man fallacy. A what a straw man fallacy? Now I'm teaching you why you're arguing like, and that makes me so irritated, Like you're not. Most of these people that would come in studio are simply not equipped to have the conversation. They have all the beliefs and feelings in the world without anything substantial to back it up, and so that got exhausting. Why the fuck would I do that? Why would I spend my time doing that? When I have comedy clubs all over the country inviting me to go perform forty five minutes to an hour of stand up comedy for a room full of people and bring them joy? Why would I spend my time doing that? And then it became harder and harder to get people on the show. Christians would listen to another Christian on the show and be like, I don't want to talk to that guy. I don't want to talk to David. I had people come on the show, and then I would say, hey, will you get your friend to come on he's really popular right now on TikTok and he'd be like, oh, you'd wipe the floor with him. I'm not giving you his phone number. You know what do I do with that? And then came the rise of the TikTok live stream where these individual Christians don't have to come on my show to have a debate. They could live stream from home just on their phone without any of this expensive equipment. They could just live stream on their phone and have atheists. After atheists come on, they could just cut them off whenever they wanted. They can mute them, they could kick them out of the room. Meanwhile, they're getting financial gifts from Christians that are watching the live stream, had twelve people in the room. Doesn't matter if somebody's gonna give you five bucks, ten bucks, fifteen bucks. You do this for a couple of hours, you make two three hundred dollars in a matter of a couple of hours. Some of year right now are going, holy shit, I'm gonna start that tomorrow. Go for it. But because they're able to do that, why would they stop doing that, not get paid and come to my studio to lose a debate? What are they going to gain from it. Like it got to the point near the end where I would have to promise them after this conversation, I will give you the audio file and you can also go sell it. You can also go make Could you imagine going on the Tonight Show and being like, give me this video because I'm also putting it on my YouTube. Calm down, Like they own that content that you're on, right, So then it came down to, well, we can live stream on my channel, then you can record your podcast. I'm like fine. So it became a lot of that negotiating of like, I'm trying to do a podcast, so I'm set up with a professional producer and Mike's and everything else, and you're wanting to live stream this on TikTok and just kick me off whenever you're done. I'm not gonna set up and get everything ready, and if you kick me off twelve minutes into the conversation, what am I supposed to do for my podcast? You know? So it comes down to the the intricacies of who has control over the content and why would they come on. I suppose I could do that, you know, I could start a TikTok live have Danny record it and just debate whoever pops on. Sure, I think a lot of people are already doing that. I don't see how unique that is, And you know whatever, I guess that's one avenue we could take. It's certainly an option. But he also end up debating for hours and maybe can't even find real content. In fact, when Michael started hosting, I asked him to do that, and I think he called me one time when he was like, man, I did it for four hours, and I think I got thirteen minutes worth of real conversation that would be good for the show. It's like, it's just so much trash out there. Anybody with a phone could now call themselves a debater and come on. Ben Shapiro wouldn't come on the show. He told Dave Rubin that there was no benefit to him coming on my show, oh, because he's already a bigger fish than me, and he was only risking having his ass handed to him by a small fish, which would ruin his reputation and it would only serve to help my reputation. So he listened to the show, said I was good, and said no, thanks, I'm not saying he dodged me. I'm saying from a pr perspective, He's right, what good is it gonna do him to come on the show. If he comes on my show and destroys me, which we all know wouldn't happen. But if he did, he's just beaten up on a little guy. And then if he gets beaten up, you know, then he got destroyed by a little podcaster. So of course he's gonna avoid that. So I found myself in this purgatory, for lack of a better term, of being too powerful for the average person who wants to have a debate, too intimidating, but not a big enough fish to have. You know, Bill O'Reilly declined to come on, Laura Ingram declined to come on. After listening to the show, of course, they try to advertise on my show, and then I would go, I'm not gonna let I'm not gonna take your money and sell your book, but you can come on as a guest. I'm going to push back on your stances, and then you can sell your book to my audience if you want to, because I want the content of me debating Bill. And they originally said, okay, sounds good, let's double check with Bill, and then after Bill has reviewed your program unfortunately his past, and I'm like, that's the pattern, right, They don't they don't want to be challenged, They don't want to come on the show. They want they they are okay with a battle if they are in control of the buttons and the final edit. So Bill is not afraid of a debate. You just got to go on his show to do it so that they can create the narrative they want by editing. Laura Ingram is the same way. It's it's dishonesty, it's shit journalism, it's ego and bravado masquerading his journalism, and it's bullshit. And then the less experienced debaters would hear the arguments and didn't want to be you know, smeared and go on. And I thought, you know, I could take the Seth Andrews route and just start covering atheist friendly content and tell stories of deconverted conversions. But Seth already does such an amazing job of that, that's already that's already lined out on the Thinking Atheist. I don't know why I would start replicating what Seth did. My whole thing was actually talking with with Christians. And hardcore Republicans that I disagreed with, and they stopped wanting to come on. It kind of just ran its course, I think, and so if it came back, it would have to be a bit different. I have some ideas on how to do that, but I guess we'll get into that later. Is that too short of an answer, Danny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a little too short. Next question is a little bit more about the origin if people don't know, But do you remember sort of the seed or the inspiration for Dogma Debate when it kind of first started. What sparked it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a blog. As a matter of fact, that old blog is still out there. You can go to Dogma Debate dot blogspot dot com. It's an it's still there. It's so cheesy. But it was my first blog, and so I would post about it. I'd post on a Christian topic and then Christians would come there and argue with me in the blog. They would reply, And really, what made me so good at it is because I had to respond with the written word. I would make sure that I was right. I would do the research, so sometimes one paragraph would take me an hour because I would fact check every piece of the paragraph before I responded, and then I would cross reference and double check the references, and I was just I got, really, I mean I should I should have a PhD in this shit. I would for all the reasons they hand out PhDs is years of research and determination in fact checking. Unfortunately I did it on my own. I didn't do it, you know, under a university, so I don't get a degree for it. But the amount of it's not just the knowledge that I have, it's the the ability and the ability to use resources and check those resources became a very important skill set, and so doing that to respond with the written word on the blog made me really good at coming up with those arguments. And then I got to where I couldn't respond to everybody fast enough. There was a time where Dogm Debate blog was getting fifty thousand views a day, and out of those fifty thousand views, it would get five or six hundred comments and on different things that I had written, and I was just like, I can't I can't respond to all these. Sometimes it would take me a month to get back to somebody. And somebody even commented one time, a Christian was like, man, just kudos to you for responding to every single person like it's taken you a while, but man, you are so active. Didn't pay me anything. By the way, I had ads on that blog and my ad sense account. It was a Google ad Sense that was connected to that. This is before I even had a YouTube. They I guess I allow. I checked a box to allow Christian ads, which is made sense. I was I was writing four Christians, why would I not have Christian ads on the on the on the blog. And it racked up around three grand I think thirty four thirty five hundred dollars in AD revenue, and I was shocked. I was like, I was at work one day and I checked it and I was like, oh my god, I have all this money. I'm going to pull it out when I get home. And I got home and the balance was zero, and I was like, did I dream this? What happened? And sure enough I had an email from Google saying that I had been accused of fraud and that they wanted me to prove my analytics. Well, I used Google Analytics for my analytics, so I was like, it's you. You have the analytics, but here's a screenshot of your other platform. And immediately my my appeal was denied, and I wasn't given a reason as to why its just denied, and then I had a lifetime ban on that account forever monetizing again on Google ad Sense, which meant I could no longer advertise on YouTube. Even when YouTube started, I was banned. Even when I started my YouTube, my account was pre banned from ever monetizing, and so that's why my YouTube never went anywhere like sixty seven hundred subscribers and then just stopped. It's completely unfair. I mean, it's probably worth a lawsuit, and I think some people sued Google over that, and I just was not aware of it, so I was never part of the class action lawsuit. Wildly inappropriate. I think I heard someone's feelings that was high up at Google. I think that they didn't like the fact that an atheist was making money off of Christian advertisers, and a Christian advertiser probably saw the spike and then had to pay this money and then saw that it was coming from an atheist website, got upset and talked to somebody high up at Google, and they they just banned me. They made me the bad guy and took all my money away. And so I was like, well, I can't do the YouTube, I can't do the blogs, I can't make any money at it, and I can't respond to these people fast enough. You know, what I could do is just record audio of me answering the question and put it out as an audio recording. So that's what I did. That's how the podcast was born.
Speaker 1: What's the hardest part of running this kind of work? We've kind of touched on it.
Speaker 2: You know, if I were in the listener's shoes and I heard a guy who gets to create content for a living and doesn't have to set an alarm and wake up at six six am and go do a job that he's not happy with and then get off at five and then deal with an hour traffic on the way home, and I heard somebody bitching about creating content, I would be like, shut your stupid mouth. You have it made. With that said, I used to have that life. I was working full time in it. I didn't like it. I was driving you know, one hour to work every day, spending eight to nine hours at work and then driving an hour home and then trying to do my life on top of having you know, kids at home and a wife and writing a book, trying to do this blog slash podcast thing. I was trying to build it while I had my full time job. But you just don't know until you do it, the amount of like the mental toll it'll take on you all the I mean, just for this, just for this was just me on camera and Danny off camera on a microphone. Danny, you got here at what time? Nine this morning? And we didn't start recording until almost eleven? Yeah, I mean just And that's with having a producer, like having having help, having my own, my own studio space, and that's what that's what a dedicated room that is always just sitting here waiting for me. It still took hour and a half or whatever just to get ready. Then we have the recording aspect, what we got to come up with the questions We have to post about it to get questions. We come up with the questions, and we have to generate those questions into a certain type of screen through you know, chat, GBT or some sort of generative AI to make it look good on screen so that we can show you the questions later. Then we actually do the talking right where I'm we're filmed. Oh, the lighting has to be all set right, the camera angles have to be set right. Then we do the recording where I actually to get to be the person who's doing it. I have to be entertaining. I have to be sometimes funny. I have to be thoughtful. I have to be correct because you motherfuckers love it when I make mistakes. And then and then when the cameras go off, then the work begins, because now it's just this giant raw file and three different versions of it, an audio file that needs to be mastered and edited and brought up and denoised and de crackled and declipped and then gained up, and all this technical stuff behind the scenes, and then the camera has to be color corrected. Everything's got to be chopped in and set up and then exported. Not too big, because then the files can't go anywhere, or you can't download them where the streamers or wherever we're putting it is too large. But if you compress it too much, the audio quality is shit, and people start saying you don't know how to do your audio. So you've got to find that middle ground and then put it out. You got to put the ads in it, and that's just for one episode, you gotta put a version on Patreon. You gotta put a version out for the public. When you push it out to the distributor, you got to make sure it goes to all the places it's supposed to go, the Spotify or whatever. And it used to all just be me. I was literally doing every single thing, the video for Patreon, the audio, the audio quality, the booking, the guests, setting up the studio. And I haven't always just had a dedicated studio. Sometimes the studio was the living room, and I would have to convert my living room into the studio before I could ever start getting the lighting right. And so it's just it's way more work than you think it is. What you see is, oh he did a forty five minute show, or oh he did a three hour show. Oh. I had someone tell me one time. I was at a convention and I bitched about how much work it was. I just made it. I just vented. I was like, it's so much more work than you realize. Guy was a literally like, bro, you work three hours a week, And I wanted to slap his fucking face, like I was so angry, and I realized this is coming from a place of ignorance. You just have no idea in order to make that three hours. It probably took thirty or forty for that one episode, and you think I'm only doing and then you're like, hey, we should do two episodes a week. Oh should we should? We just replicate me, right, And so now what I'm doing. I've hired Danny, I've got my own spot, I do the Serious Circus podcast, I do stuff with my daughter, I do content with my daughter, and then I've got the businesses that we run, which are the production companies behind all of the content. And then I'm a stand up comedian also touring. So with Danny here it makes it a lot more likely that I can come back and do it. But the hardest part is all of it. The hardest part is I'm not just an atheist debater. It takes so much work on the back end for you to even see the debate, and then so much more work afterwards for that debate to come to light. So it's just if everything was done and I also had to book the guests and then they would reschedule, and oh, I got to pick my kid up from school, So thirty minutes I'm in my email, like you know, with the guests, and then everything gets shifted back thirty minutes. But I got to pick my daughter up from school after this, so I'm like, now I got to push back. And that's all just for that one episode that week, and then the next week everything starts all over. So it's having help helps, of course, but the hardest part is being responsible for everything and not having a team of people like the Adam Carolla Show or Joe Rogan. I'm sure Joe Rogan can just walk in and sit down and most of his crew has everything done. Again, I'm in that middle ground where you know, I'm bringing somebody else into help and then this is the only reason I'm willing to do it again is because Danny's here, we have the dedicated space. We even have some bookers. We have a it's Ben, right, that's that's doing some booking for me. So yeah, we may end up bringing guests back on through Ben and all of that. So it's a lot. It's a lot, and sometimes I'm so exhausted from making it happen. When the guest finally gets here, I'm just like, I don't care, dude, whatever, Like I'm just it's not depression, it's just exhaustion. It's just like sure, sure, yeah, yeah, Slavery's fine, I know, because God said so, then we get to beat him, you know whatever, what's next? You know you want to marry a thirteen year old because God said, yeah, yeah, whatever. Just can we wrap this up? Like I lose my fire because I'm exhausted from all the all the production work. So hopefully with Danny here, I won't have to do the production work and I can still have the fire. That's the hardest part.
Speaker 1: What are some ways that kind of brainstormed that it could come back? And you did mention the live streaming, but I know we have lots of other formats signed up and you can talk a little bit about you know, we've tried to have some help on outsourcing, you know, maybe reacting to things.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so I didn't know this was a For the record, I haven't seen these questions. I don't know the order or know what's going on. I'll let Danny just you know, produce this whole thing. He's great, by the way. I I think if it came back, you would have to be something that I've never seen before, which is rather than every show that I've ever done. It's like you show up with what you know. I show up with what I know, and we battle and we hope we get on our facts right. I've had people walking into my studio with just thick like just the binder and papers on top of the binder, terrified that they're gonna have something come up and they're gonna be caught off guard. And I think the way it could come back is if still zero bullshit, still zero tolerance, but maybe before the guest comes on, send them like maybe they have to check a box to understand, here's a basic definition of a strongman fallacy, there's a basic definition of equivocation, and go through a few of the fallacies so that they understand, like this will be called out, like don't waste time on the show doing this, and then the show becomes rather than we'll still call it dogma debate, but instead of it being a battle, maybe it's let's research together. The hardcore fourth listener out there may remember the Palestinian Christian that I had in studio. It probably is the most underrated episode of my career in that we're talking looking back and forth and he just goes I've never heard that. What do you mean? And it was just on audio, so you can't see what's happening. But I just turned my laptop around and I go, this is an article. And then I show him the article and he's floored and he's like, I'm I'm not allowed to see that stuff in my country. And then we read more, and we read more, and we read more, and literally by the end of the episode, he was like, I don't think I think I'm not a Christian anymore. I think I've been fooled. I think this is bullshit. And I was like blown away that that actually happened. But the research together is what did it. The way I've been effective with my mom privately, one on one is she would send me something and I would call her and I'd be like, Mom, go to this website. Look at this. Do you see that thing. I'm not telling you to trust that website. I'm saying, look at this thing. And then I go, now, let's go to that court website. Let's go to the court docket. And you can pull up the PDF of the docket and scroll down to page twelve. There's the evidence. It's not snopes dot Com it's not FactCheck dot org, it's not Politico. This is the court website where the issue was filed. Do you see this? And she'd be like oh, and she would stop using that argument at that point. So I think, if someone's willing to come on and I go, bring whatever notes you want, bring your laptop, bring your phone, let's rather than me try to make this of a debate of me smashing you into the ground, or you destroying the atheist argument or destroying the liberal argument or whatever. Let's just research things together. Let's get to the bottom of it and see what resources we can trust, and hopefully, if that's the angle I take moving forward, we just go if you notice repeatedly your sources are lying to you, and if your sources are lying to you, why do you what? What do you think they have to cover up? And I think that's one major way it could move forward another way, And y'all need to tell me in the comments if you like this or not. Is reaction videos, reactions reaction episodes to things in the news, to uh old episodes of mine, old debates. I don't know if y'all liked those those old debates that I whenever I would like rehash the old debate and then and then be like kind of break down my old debates, or at least portions of them. I can do that. But also, I mean anytime. I mean, I could walk in the studio with no plan and Danny could get all the cameras ready and the week ago all right, David open it up, okay, and I just go to Associated Press, you know, AP news dot com. And then Trump issues new threat to Iran's civil infrastructure if a ceasefire isn't reached soon. Could a Democrat replace Marjorie Taylor Green? The top two headlines could be thirty minutes of a podcast. So yeah, if you want me to just cover stuff like that, I can do it. I just I got really good advice from Todd Stefel. Y'all know Todd, my millionaire buddy that I've had on the show. He just said one time, He's like you, if you can't be if you don't see yourself as the best in the world at something and you don't absolutely love doing it, what's the point, Like you, what are you doing stand up comedy? I absolutely love it, and I do feel like I have the potential of being one of the best. I really do believe that. To some people, comedy subjective, but I feel like I could. I could attain that level of greatness there if I keep working at it and I love it. Even if I'm not all that great, I love doing it, so that justifies being able to continue. There are so many people that cover the news, John Oliver, Stephen Colbert, Jimmy Fallon. I can't remember the kids. There's there's like three guys right now, off the top of my head, I can't remember their name. I follow them on Instagram. Their names are escaping me. They do this stuff so well. There's like three or four kids. Aaron Parnis is one of them. Like that that level. They do it so well. I don't. I just don't think I could do it better than them. So I just watch their content, and I want you to watch their content. But if you truly want my take on this stuff, I'll do it. I'll grab their video and respond to them talking about it. We can bring it back if you're cool with that. Being a research show somewhat of a debate show, sharing research and then also doing reaction videos to either old episodes or things happening in the News. I think that's how it could come back. And also we have to find victims willing to come in studio. I much prefer guests being in studio. That's another big thing as to why it stopped. People just wanted to call in, zoom in, blah blah blah. The chemistry is just not there. It's a weird vibe when they're over the phone. But I'm willing to do it if we can't find anybody to be here in person. So I think that's how the show can move forward. Awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we would love to get your guys' opinions and thoughts on if any of those would be preferred formats for it to be able to come back. What advice would you give someone starting a podcast like this or a debating platform like this today?
Speaker 2: Don't that sounds like a jaded, old, angry, grumpy man. It's just so oversaturated. Now I've started Serious Circus, I think it's got two downloads. Like, no matter how good the content is or how well you produce it, there's just like everybody has a podcast like It's so when I started, you had to like invest in equipment and know how to run it, and that made me stand out because I could produce high quality content. I knew the ins and outs and the technical specs of building a studio fourteen fifteen years ago, and now it's just like you just pull your phone out and have an opinion and they call that a podcast. I mean, they made it so easy. Forever, these big corporations leaned into the ego and said, you want to be a podcaster, buy this app, sign up for this nineteen ninety nine a month. I mean, I have a I have a grandfather deal with iHeartRadio that pays for my speaker subscription because I earned those stripes. But for twenty bucks a month, you can have the same thing, Like you know what I mean. When I started, it was hard to obtain and now like everybody can just get it. So I'd stand out. Be unique, Be consistent. Release on the same day at the same time every week, so that the audience gets used to when you show up, you want to be somebody's commute. Maybe just lock into whatever it's gonna be a lot of people release on Fridays, a lot of people release over the weekend or Monday. Be the Tuesday morning release, so that when your fans wake up Tuesday at six o'clock in the morning, there's a show ready for their drive to work. Be consistent and stand out. Don't just do what everybody else is doing. If you're just gonna be a person talking on a microphone about your opinions that day, you're probably not gonna stand out. You're gonna run together. You're gonna you know whatever, Find a unique angle, what makes you unique, what makes you interesting your hook, Lean into that hook, carve out your your niche, and uh, stay consistent with your release times. Quality doesn't matter as much anymore.
Speaker 1: So in regards to Dogma debate, Let's take this in that direction. What's next for you with dogma debate? Are also you know what's next for you outside of it? In the upcoming projects or plans?
Speaker 2: I mean, my tour starts. I'm starting in Pasadena and then I'm in Dallas Fort Worth. I'll pull up my text from my book.
Speaker 3: Or I've got Chicago, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, a bunch of dates, uh David C.
Speaker 2: Smalley dot com. The tour dates are being updated. The ones I just told you not not all of them are even added to the website yet. Oh, I'm doing San Antonio, Houston, and al Paso. Uh, go to David csmalley dot com. And if you don't see anything today, check in three days because every day where he my booker is texting me, we're adding dates. So I'm doing a lot of Thursday night one off, Sunday night one off, and then a couple of weekends. So yeah, just check the website. That's the big thing that I'm really wanting to meet you, wanting to shake hands, sell tickets to the show. Let you see a different side of me. Oh and by the way, that's another piece of this for why it stopped, if I could go back to that, just people are starting to finally know me as the comedian instead of the atheist guy. And you know, whatever you are in your life, whatever you do, whatever your career is, you want to be known as the best in that career. Right. Let's say you're a you know, you work at a manufacturing plant, you're in a machine or you're a tire shop person, or you're you're an executive at a pharmaceutical company or whatever it is that you've grown in your field. Imagine in the boardroom or at the company meeting, they go, hey, the atheist is here. You're like, we hold on, that's I'm not. That doesn't define me, Like I'm I worked really hard and studied all this stuff and I solved a bunch of problems for you fuckers. Don't. Don't just reduce my existence to the atheists, Like, that's not who I am. It's one thing. What's one piece of my worldview? Like you know. And so because it's a unique worldview to have, I mean, the best one, but unique, nonetheless rare, people will start, oh, that's the atheist comedian. Oh call me that. Most comedians technically are Christians, we don't call them Christian comedians. I don't do my comedy about that, and that that kind of puts you in a little box like, oh, he's fodder for the atheist conventions. No, I want to sell out the laugh Factory, you know what I mean. I want to sell out Madison Square Garden. I want to be an accepted comedian who also happens to be an open atheist. I'm not ashamed of it, but I don't want that to be the label, you know. And so what would happen is people would buy tickets to the comedy show just because they were around the area. Show up, have no idea who I was. Laugh their ass off, meet me after, get an autograph, get a picture, and go do you have a podcast? I'd be like, uh, you shouldn't. Not for you, No, it's not what you think. No, I want to find I here podcast. Nah you don't, though you don't. I want you to remember this moment and just be happy, because then they would go back and listen and be like, he's not funny at all. Well, the show's not funny. The dogment debates not there were some moments where we laughed a lot, but that's not the point of the show. So they would see me as a comedian, meet me as a comedian, follow me as a comedian, and go that guy. I want to bring people back to see this guy. Then listen to the podcast and be like, you're just arguing about slavery and abortion for three hours. That was a downer, and then they don't want to come back. Oddly, and so it became like brand confusion for me as well, Like I'm out there selling this idea that I'm a funny guy and I'm a fun person to be around and then they look up my name and see it's just a bunch of debating Christians, and they're like, this guy doesn't know who he is or what he wants, you know what I mean. It's like, imagine if Gordon Ramsay was like, oh, I'm a cook, but also I work on cars and I do both. I work on cars and I cook. What are you a mechanic or are you a chef? Like we want to put people into categories, we want to know who they are, and before we decide who they are, they have to know who they are themselves. And it looked like a lot of brand confusion. Sure, I can have a podcast, a lot of comedians do, but mine is so serious and on such a heavy topic and debating people that it comes off is either that part is an act or I'm not actually a funny guy. I'm just playing the role of one on stage. They want to feel that you're being genuine and so one of the hardest things about having both of those lives is having people believe that that's actually two real, very real parts of myself, and so my other projects are actually a lot of the reason why I stopped doing the show so much is because it's confusing for people to be like comedian, but you're just gonna make fun of me if I come on your show. No, no, no, I'm not. I'm not gonna roast you. I'm gonna have a serious conversation with serious conversation with a comedian. Those in the public psyche that doesn't fit very well, they don't understand it. That's why I call the new podcast Outside of doga babay. I call it serious circus because there is a serious side to stand up and it's okay for comedians to talk about serious things. When I met dille Hughgley, that's what I told him. I was like, you've inspired me that it's okay to be serious on a podcast. I don't have to just always be the funny guy. I can be serious for an interview. The problem is when you meet me as a comedian and then you go subscribe to my podcast and hear how serious and deep and dark it gets, you start to be confused about I don't know that I want to buy tickets to that guy show. So that's another up in the air, Like how do I approach this where I'm still funny and light and entertaining but I can still have these serious conversations without having the brand confusion.
Speaker 1: So now we're getting into the document debate. Fans, your guys's questions might put out a little post and I was wondering.
Speaker 2: That chair. Yeah, it's very squeaky, very squeaky.
Speaker 1: So one of your fans ask, have you done everything you think you can do? Did you use up your energy to push this agenda?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Man, yeah, I think so, I really do. I think the only way, the only way that I haven't is if we move it into the less research. Let's research together aspect that I haven't done. I think I could still change some minds by just instead of me going into it like I'm gonna debate you and then oh, I gotta teach this person how to look up an article. This is Dunning Krueger. You read one fucking headline about it and the first paragraph, and now you think you're qualified to have a debate. I have to tell you the story. I watch a lot of like police videos, you know, police body cam stuff. This woman the other day was in a house. She walked up to a house that was listed on the MLS for real estate. It was listed for sale. It had been abandoned by a previous owner and then sold at auction last year for five hundred thousand dollars. The new owner puts a lock box on the front and starts showing the house as an investment property. They're not really fixing it up, but they're selling it as a fixer upper. Right, So there's like frogs in the swimming pool in the back. It doesn't look very well taken care of. They're maintaining the yard, but there's a lock on the front door. This woman just busts the lock off the door, goes inside, puts a new lock on it, squatters' rights, and then goes down to the county and files an application for what's called adverse possession, which if someone has abandoned a home for a number of years five to seven years, depending on the state you're in, you can move in take over the house because it's been abandoned, and then when you pay taxes on that house consistently for those five to seven years, you can then take possession of the property and it becomes yours because you've taken care of it and they didn't come back to claim it for five years or seven years. Then you can just own it. The same thing is true if you have a neighbor that puts their fence five feet onto your property line. If you don't go out there immediately and say get that fence off my property and it sets there for ten years, you lose that land. You're thinking, that's bullshit, that's my land. No, no, no, it's called adverse possession. Look it up. Every state has different laws around it, but the general idea is if you just do it long enough and nobody stops you, it kind of becomes yours. It's where they get the idea of possessions nine tenths of the law. This woman was screaming when they kicked in the door and dragged her out and arrested her. They were like, you have no rights here. We were at this property last week, we bought it last year. Nothing has happened for adverse possession to happen. She I think she read like a headline and the first paragraph of an adverse possession real estate article and went, oh, there's an abandoned house down the street and just went and took it over. And she had filed an application with the court. She had a copy of it, but it hadn't been approved, she hadn't paid the taxes on it. She just filed the application and then moved into someone else's house and was screaming at the top of her lungs. Adverse possession, you don't know the law. Adverse possession, you don't know the law. That's what my dog and debate conversations feel like. That's what it feels like. It feels like someone is emotionally invested, screaming, upset, so dedicated to what they believe, without any real substantive argument, without any real data to back it up. And the fact that the things that they think are data is their application that they submitted, or another Christian's opinion on KARM or some website, or they will tell me what an atheist believes, and I'll go, that's not what any atheist believes. What are you talking about? Oh, you heard that from your pastor when you were nine, and you never bothered to fact check it. So now I'm supposed to defend something that your pastor made up when you were a child. I'm not even having the real conversation. I'm teaching them how to stay in reality. And that becomes the exhausting part. So if I just take this from the perspective of I'm going to do this as a teaching experience, and I'm going to enter the conversation knowing that you don't understand fallacies, and that this is an exercise in peaceful research together, in collective peaceful research, and we're gonna look things up together. We're gonna get to the bottom of stuff together. You and I are on the same team, and we're gonna find the truth about this issue. We might banter back and forth and disagree, but the goal is to find the truth about something. If that's the angle I take, it might not wear me out so fast. So, yes, I used up all the energy that I had in that space, But I think this is a way to reignite at least a portion of it.
Speaker 1: The next question is if not, when you keep going and keep those about to get indoctrinated from getting indoctrinated.
Speaker 2: It's always the plan, man, It's always the plan. I think. Unfortunately, by the time people find me, they are already indoctrinated. But yes, I want to That's the only if I didn't think, if I didn't think I could do it at all, I wouldn't even be doing this episode. This is just it's gonna be different. The person's gonna have to be willing to come to the table to do research with me, and I think that's a pretty small ask to be honest with you. So yeah, that's the goal.
Speaker 1: Would you consider speaking to a Jew or Muslim on their religious views on the war military operation in Iran?
Speaker 2: I think I would. I would like to facilitate a conversation between one of each. It's such a delicate topic and I am truly like it. It's so unique because I think David Eller said the best argument against any religion is any other religion. And the mistake that theists make is that atheism is one and the same and just one of the other things that could be possible, when in fact it's not. It's atheism is outside of all of those battles we think everyone is wrong. And it's so important when you talk about this Middle East conflict, because people just want to hear a buzzword, see what side you're on, and they either hate you or love you, and it's just there is a genocide and it's disgusting, it's awful. But that doesn't mean Jews deserve hate. When the Israeli government is the one doing things that are wrong, and if Hamas is doing is participating in terrorist activity, it doesn't mean it's fair to demonize Palestinians. It's a complicated situation. It's it's almost like if if it would be like people hating Americans because of Donald Trump behavior when most of us hate him too. You know, there are tons of Jewish people that cannot stand net Nyahu and his conservative bullshit, and there are tons of Palestinians that do not like Hamas operations. So we're just we're we don't want to be judged off of the behavior of our president, but you're willing to judge an entire group of people based off of theirs like you just need to. And then you know, we're not gonna pretend like there's not a genocide. We're not gonna pretend like that Yahoo isn't taking advantage of his power and that America is helping with that, and that's disgusting and disturbing. But that doesn't mean we should just go attack Jewish people on the internet. That's ridiculous that people get that mindset that, oh, because you're the bad guy. Now I can say these horrible things. That's awful, and so the internet is filled with people just black or white, fifty to fifty. I'm just gonna be this or be that way, and that's not what this show is ever going to be. So yes, I would bring someone on, but I think for that level of that conversation, I would want to mediate or moderate. I think a conversation between between those two sides, I think that'd be an effective and fun conversation to have, informative as well, and then also do the research to get to the bottom of each one of their alleged facts. But I think when somebody like Bernie Sanders, which is probably the most politically influential Jewish person in our country, is railing against the government of Israel, I think that should be a very clear point that there is a difference between Jewish people and the Israeli government, just like there's a difference between the American people and Donald Trump.
Speaker 1: How can you abandon friend of Statan.
Speaker 2: I'm not I'm not going anywhere. I'm not going to abandon anybody.
Speaker 1: There's one question, and that's not on here, But just for kicks and giggles, do you hate us? That was somebody's question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, every last one of you. No man, the Fourth Listener made this life possible. Here. I am living in Hollywood doing stand up comedy shows, touring stand up comedy, I'm in movies, I'm on television, and I did this. I was able to do this because of the Fourth Listener support. If the Fourth Listener had never supported the show financially and signed up for Patreon, all this behind the scenes stuff, even if you weren't there back then, the idea of the Fourth Listener, the position you're in now, if that had never existed, I would still be supporting myself working in it job in Texas. The fact that I got to move out here and do this kind of work allowed me the opportunity to go on stage, to do the movies, and to be involved with bigger names Aimes and have them sit across from me in studio, and that opened up avenues and indoors for me. So yeah, I absolutely love the Fourth Listener.
Speaker 1: So we've we've covered this. I think, right that should show more topical adversarial debates. We've kind of covered that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so. I think Maga is a good way to go again. I think Destiny does a pretty good job of that stuff. I think Destiny's better at it than I am. He's more involved on the political side, maybe not quite the religious side, but you know I have I would have no plans of trying to, you know, outdo Destiny in that, but I think I have some to to offer there. I have. I have some to offer. I have an angle I could take on it. Again. Some of the content could be even me covering something Destiny did or said and show where I break from Destiny and where I agree. If y'all want that content, comment and let me know that you want me to review other people's debates. You know, maybe I can take Harry and some of these other guys that do debates like Danny could pull a five minute clip. I could review it and give my give my take on it. As now a veteran old school debater guy, you know, I could definitely do that. The problem with MAGA is, I mean, at this point, and I'm probably gonna say this on upcoming episodes, but we may have gotten all the reasonable MAGA out of MAGA, Like if if I mean we are gas prices, the roof war in Iran, bombing Venezuela, threatening to take Greenland. Oh yeah, Epstein files where the president of the United States is literally accused of rape and murder of children. If you're still maga, what are we going to talk about? The only thing I can imagine that we could talk about is that research idea that I have, Like maybe Brandon Jordan, we could have him back in and I could go rather than us battle, bring your laptop, show me your resources for why you believe what you believe, because what ends up happening is he comes over, we have the debate. He's like, I never heard of that. Ah, I never heard of that. But we're thinking for the show, we got to keep it moving. Why don't we stop and go let's look at it together. Danny can speed it up in post. You know, Danny can edit it. We don't have to drag you through a four hour research project. If it takes an hour to find the answer, it takes an hour to find the answer, we speed that up into thirty seconds for you with camera magic, with editing magic. But to truly have an impact on Brandon, we need to do that. What really happens is we just pontificate say what we think is true. I never heard that, did you ever see this. No, I didn't see that. Did you hear about that story that lady? No, did you hear that Kamala did this? I never saw that. And then we leave, and then we spend the next week texting each other links back and forth. Read this, Read that I don't have time. I'm preparing for my next show. Why didn't we just take the time to look at this shit while he was here? That is the last sliver I think that could save the final five reasonable people that are up Maga's ass. Because these people, I mean, my mom's off the Magat train. My mom is like, he's full of shit, He's a liar. I'm not saying she's Democrat, but she likes James tell Erico. She likes his Christian vibe. Maybe we got her, I don't know. But she's resorted to all politicians or pieces of shit. They're all liars, liar, titian. She calls them, their mouth's moving, they're full of shit. I think it's a way to deflect, maybe and not take responsibility for the damage you've done to the nation, but just saying they're all bad, even though I clearly constantly show her how Bernie doesn't lie like that. AOC doesn't lie like that. Elizabeth Warren doesn't lie like that. And the dishonesty that has happened in those groups are so minor, in minuscule, A detail wrong, a number incorrect, an exaggeration of something. It's nothing like what we see with Trump and the GOP. So are there still a few reasonable people there? I don't know. I don't know. It sure seems that maybe the most reasonable ones are already off the Trump train. But I'd like to bring somebody in studio and see if they'd be willing to research with me, and maybe we start with Brandon. Maybe we try the research thing with Brandon first. Let me know in the comments what you think about the reaction videos, the responses to the current debates, if you still care about my opinion on those things, if every episode isn't that Maga versus liberal or atheist versus pastor if that's not I can't do that every week. So if it's not that, are you still down to stick around or you only hear for the debates? Because I don't I don't know how often that'll happen, because we'll try. But that's where I stand with it, right now we have the Serious Circus podcast, we have the stand up comedy, we have the acting. We have a lot going on. So and I have some stuff coming up that I'm excited to tell you about that I can't tell you about yet. It's about saving animals. That's all I'll say. It's a wonderful thing. So yeah, thanks to Danny for putting this together. Thank you for the comments, for the questions, for the support. I'm glad to be back. Let's do it.