Speaker 1: When you make decisions for your company, you always look for the no brainers, and if you have a lot of MAILI and shipping to do, stamps dot Com is the ultimate no brainer. It streamlines your process to make your business more efficient, which makes you less busy. Mail checks, invoices, legal documents, books, and everything you need to keep your business running. With stamps dot com, seamlessly connect with every major marketplace and shopping card if you sell online, schedule package pickups through the dashboard, and automatically see your cheapest and fastest shipping options from different carriers with rates up to eighty nine percent off USPS and UPS rates. And with the stamps dot Com mobile app, you can take care of mailing and shipping wherever you are, even on the go. Make the same no brainer decision as over one million other business decision makers with stamps dot Com. Sign up at stamps dot Com with Code Program for a special offer that includes a four week trial plus free postage and a free digital scale, no long term commitments or contracts. That's Stamps dot Com Code Program.
Speaker 2: Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten Lucky.
Speaker 3: Lucky in Line at the Delhi.
Speaker 2: I guess Ahi in my dentist's office more than once.
Speaker 3: Actually, do I have to say yes?
Speaker 2: You do in the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 3: Really? Yes? Excuse me?
Speaker 1: What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 2: I never win?
Speaker 4: And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 2: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 3: Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 2: Noe's just necessary for my long eighteen plus terms and conditions of plucks.
Speaker 3: You wants every details.
Speaker 4: You are now listening to True Murder The most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them Gasey, Bundy, Dahmer, The Night Stalker DTK. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host journalist and author Dan Zufanski.
Speaker 5: Good evening. In this second edition of The Murder of Biggie Smalls, Kathy Scott delves behind the scenes to pore over police records, coroner reports, FBI files, and interviews Biggie's mother, Voletta Wallace to reveal new facts surrounding the gangster rappers murder. The Notorious Big exploded onto the hip hop scene in nineteen ninety five with his platinum selling album Ready to Die. Biggie Smalls born Christopher Wallace and performing as a Notorious Big, grew up in the Bedstye neighborhood of Brooklyn, New York, where he dropped out of high school to pursue street culture in his rapping style. Biggie began m seeing his original raps, which were discovered by producer Sean Patty Combs, who took Biggie's gangsta image to the next level. Fame followed two successful rap albums earning millions of dollars, a nineteen ninety six Billboard Rapper of the Year award, marriage to R and B singer Faith Evans, a public affair with rapper Little Kim, and hanging out with Tupac Shakur. The high life for Biggie tragically ended March ninth, nineteen ninety seven, after a Los Angeles post Awards party, where he was gunned down in a drive by, much like friend turn enemy Shakur six months earlier. Twenty four years later, LA police still have made no arrests, despite their early confidence that the case would be solved quickly, and after revealing identities of persons of interest who worked for the police department, they dropped the investigation before it ended, stalling the case. Best selling true crime author Kathy Scott shares it all in this second edition. Books were featuring this evening as the Murder of Biggie Small's the second Edition, with my guest journalist and investigative investigative journalists and author Kathy Scott. Welcome back to the program, and thank you so much for this interview Kathy Scott.
Speaker 3: Thank you very much. Dan, happy to be here.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for joining me again. And it has been a fair amount of time since we've spoken to you. I want to ask you you talk about in this introduction in the second edition about the amount of time and effort you put into this. Tell us a little bit about some of the work you'd put into the first edition and now even more work in research into the second edition, and tell us how you came to be the author of the Murder of Biggie Small's.
Speaker 3: Well digging Tupac was I'll try to keep it short, but Tupac was killed in nineteen ninety six, shot in the drive by killing and still unsolved six months later. They were rivals and there was the famous East Coast West Coast rapp war that the two of them were, you know, rivals then. And six months later Biggie Smiles was killed in a very similar fashion, almost almost to a tea. It was almost intentional to make it look like a drive by, similar to Tupac's. And and lots of mistakes were made at the beginning, lots of confusion, and and the rampart investigation of corruption at the l A p D was going on at the time, and they kind of had their hands full, and it never the case. You know. I started interviewing people, of course from day one, because you know, I had done the Biggie the Tupac case, and it was just a natural for me to go into that. And they wouldn't give up the autopsy report the county won it. They wouldn't give I mean, I interviewed detective after detective and went to LA went to Van Parker Stentner, which was LAPD's headquarters, and they just weren't coughing up any information. It was odd to it almost felt like they didn't want to solve it. I love challenge you know, I love a challenge, so I go after it. So you know, I interviewed a ton of people, a ton of people.
Speaker 5: You talk about that you were working, you were in the throes of writing about Tupac SHAKERR, your book about him, while at the same time, this March ninth, ninety seven, when Biggie Smalls was killed in this drive by shooting. So let's talk about this March ninth, nineteen ninety seven. Uh, just about the drive by itself, Christopher Wallace, but we talk about we have to go back to the day before and the awards show where he is booed on a stage. So let's just go to that event, okay, being booted, and then we can go backwards in time to talk about secure uh Tupac and the shooting at the Quad Studios, which seems to be the impetus for all of.
Speaker 3: This, right, Yeah, not the empetus for the murderers, but the impetus for the East Coast West Coast rap or it did start at Quad Studios. But as for the day before, Biggie was supposed to be a presenter at the Source Awards and he was, and lots of infamous and famous rappers and uh, you know, just entertainment people were there and you know, singers and performers, and he usually got a warm welcome, you know, wherever he went, and if he did, he was there with him his his producer at the time. And he stood up and he was excited to go, and he had told his mother in a conversation, because I did interview his mother and he got up and he was booed. But it was California and they were you know, it was East Coast West Coast rap War, and that was the result of their alliance and allegiance the fans to Tupac and there's Biggie from the East Coast and had been staying there for a month, you know, recording with Puffy Combs, and he was on their turf and they weren't happy. So he just worked through it and tried not to let it bother him. But it was almost an omen of what was going to happen next. I don't believe the East Coast West Coast rap War itself is part of it, but I think it's up to cover up the crime.
Speaker 5: Mm hmm. Absolutely so. On this March ninety seven, you talk about this Automotive Museum where this event is going to be. So talk about the museum itself and then about the plans for the after party.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I went to the museum by the way, and you know, went there. They were up on the second floor I think. And it's just an automotive Peterson Automotive museum, real close to Theater Sinai Hospital, like you know, just a few blocks and where he ended up. But so that it's weird because the parking lot you enter it kind of on the side the end in front of the entrance and part of the park. They went into digging and his entourage three cars went in all suburban jams, and they went into the parking garage. It was full, so they kind of went down the street and parked on the street. There were lots of LAPD off duty cops there who were were seen before and after as they were walking in and as they were walking out, So they had to walk down the street and they were very visible. You know, he was a big guy, well known, and they always have an entourage with him, you know, bodyguards and off duty police officers, worthy bodyguards, and so they make quite a splash when they go in and out so it's easy to be seen. And then they had the party and the police break it up at eleven o'clock or twelve o'clock whatever it was, or firefighters break it up because it's two full. Too many people are there, so they opened all the doors and had everybody leave, and they walked out, you know, there was a huge crowd and got into their car. And in order to be able to or their vehicles through these suburbans, and in order to be able for someone to then pull up on the right of them that I mean the person was watching, had someone on the ground had to be telling him, okay, go, they're there now. And then he was in the middle car. Puffy Combs was in the one in front of him, and they were to stop light, waiting to turn and onto Wilship Boulevard. I believe Fairfax. I think they were on and boom, boom boom. Car comes out, you know, sticks out the window and shoots into the passenger's side like Bonnie and Clyde, you know, rather a tat tat all over the car. And I think it was I'd have to remind myself. I think it was two bullets set in him and of course it was a chess one that did it.
Speaker 5: M hm. Now what about the bodyguards you say they used the.
Speaker 3: Body who going in a car? Yeah, they were in they were in a car Inglewood police. I think they kind of got in trouble afterward. I interviewed the Inglewood Police department too, that they head people and they weren't in a car. They were in a car behind and they took after supposedly they they left the scene and took after the the It was an Impaula dark colored in Paula s I forget what year and kind of a vintage cherried carried out car and took off and they didn't catch him. They took out out after him, but they didn't catch him, which I found rather unusual for police officers to haul after a vehicle right on its tail and lost them. And uh, then, yeah, I don't know if there's anything and that that you know, the people you know who were who are a key of one person at least there's another who was accused of being a part of it and ordering it, hiring the person to do it is was a police officer. And and and there were l A p L A p D. And there were l A p D officers who you know, uh uh, Biggie's cousin remembered seeing them. They all, you know, these guys were blood some of them, and they were you know, members of the Piru Blood street gang, and they're they're cops. You know, they were cops on the l A p D Force, which is sort of an interspersing of those sort of things they do overlap unfortunately back then. Uh so it's all, you know, it's it's it's as if though there were two there were two police sketches as well. One was done from from witness at the scene, a couple of them, and the police schedule artist you know, did this drawing of the shooter and it changed and a second drawing was done with no name attributed to it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's very interesting. You talk about too, that this Orlando Anderson was spotted at this party. Now, right, who is Orlando Anderson.
Speaker 3: Orlando Anderson is the one police have said, the Compton PD at the time that's now a defunct police department, the game cops on the street. I spent a lot of time with those game cops and they Orlando was all over the place, bragging all over South Cedro that he was he had shot Tupac. It's before Tupac died. And then he stopped talking. He stops, you know, bragging, but that he was the one who shot Tupac and Orlando Anderson went to he lives in comp and lived in Compton, went to l a, I'm sorry. I went to Vegas with his homies and an uncle to see the Mike Tyson fight. He didn't have a ticket to get in, so he's waiting in a lobby near the lobby for his friends to come back after it was over. It was a real quick fight. Tupac and his entourage saw him, spotted him leaning up against the wall while you know, spotted Orlando. And Orlando they'd gotten into beef with him two months earlier. One of Tupac's homies and so Tupac and his friend and shouldn't I Tupac's producer, all started beat him up. He was on the ground. They're kicking him and pouncing on him. Orlando, you know, did not want to press charges. And then six months later he ends up at the Peterson Automotive Museum to enjoy the party there that he was also Orlando had a studio and Compton apparently in a garage and he was starting to rap, and so he was trying to hang out with rappers and that sort of thing. So the motivation on his being there is coincidental. I think. I don't think there was anything connect that. It was just an odd circumstance.
Speaker 5: Let's get to he didn't have anything to do.
Speaker 3: Orlando didn't have anything to do with the murder of Biggie.
Speaker 5: Okay, despite what the police have said.
Speaker 3: Well, police they interviewed him because he was there or not. You know, they looked into it, but there wasn't any evidence that they did have evidence on someone else who you know, who the shooter was and fand end of the shooter who was there as well. So but they did look at Orlando and came up empty as far as Biggie Smalls were.
Speaker 5: Let's talk about the Quad Studio shootings and the origins of this East Coast West rivalry, because, as you write in the book, Sean Puff Daddy became a mentor for Biggie Smalls. But Tupac Shakur had already had was already a successful rapper and had a career and was also reportedly friends with Biggie Smalls. When Biggie Smalls was just beginning, how does it get to the point where squad.
Speaker 3: Go ahead?
Speaker 5: Sorry, sorry, you talk about quad studios. At that time, Puff Daddy and Biggie Smalls were at one of the floors, probably the fifth floor, and there was five floors in this quad studios, and a person named Booker called Uh called Tupac to be able to have him record for somebody named Little Sean. So he was calling and calling and finding out when Tupac could arrive with his entourage and safely get him into the studio without any fans interfering or anybody knowing that he was there. Tell us more about this quad studio shooting.
Speaker 3: Well, book Booker was, you know, he was on behalf of Little Sean. You know, they Tupac had agreed to do be a backup singer for him in one of his songs. And it was something I think as as you know that they do for other fellow you know, fellow rappers and performers. They perform on each other's records. That makes them, you know, makes the record sell. And so Tupac was late and he had his cousin with him, and I think the five guys, four guys. But they he was late, you know, he was very late to the studio. And they had rented you know, Booker had rented studio times. So when you're not at his studio on time, you're you're paying for it. And so he kept calling, you know, kept calling to Puck, where are you? Where are you? It wasn't because they am to set you up and try to get you killed, you know, or shot. It wasn't that. It was that he was anxious where they had kuzzi because they had a studio time and and and you know, time is money at a recording studio.
Speaker 2: And so he.
Speaker 3: Finally came up, and and Biggie Smalls happened to be there with his backup crew, you know, recording with and and Puffy Combs was their Seawan Combs was there, his record producer and and so Tupac didn't know Biggie was going to be there, but that doesn't matter. It was the popular you know, it was a popular recording studio for rap artists. So so Tupac gets there. They're wearing jewelry. He and his buddies are wearing jewelry all over their necks. Hanging off of it. And this from everything I can surmise. I went to went to KLUD Studios, interviewed and manager there. I also went to the Manhattan Police station that was you know, and that was investigating the case. They only investigated it for a week and there just wasn't they didn't have any evidence. There was a camera there and the lobby at KLUD Studios, but didn't have any film in and which is typical for places. It wasn't like they had it the day before and they took it out that day. But Biggie, you know, Tupac was in the middle of a rape case as well and had to appear in court the next day. And he felt like once he got shot, you know, so he's in quad, he's in, he's in. He shot himself, you know that, right, Tupac shot himself.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 3: Tubac had a gun in his belt that was loaded and you know, in his pants belt and he didn't have it in his pocket or in a hoster. It was in his pants belt, you know, in his pants basically with the you know, the belt holding it up. And during the scuffle where these guys see them, they see them. I think this is everything I've gotten is they're walking on the street about to go into the lobby of Quad Studios, and these guys see them, and they've got all this gold all over them, and they follow them into the lobby and start ripping their jewelry off of them, just start yanking the jewelry off. And those guys were not and correct me if I'm wrong. It's been you know, it's a lot of information, but I don't believe those guys were armed. If they were, they didn't shoot the bad guys and Tupac and I think it was his cousin trying to get his gun, or he was getting his gun and his cousin was trying to stop him or something. Anyway, Tupac's gun went off right into his groin, you know, and he lost the you know, he lost the testicle because of it. And and so he's shot, but not not fatally or anything, but it's an injury, a bad injury. And they go to the lobby and they're buzzy buzzy. The guys take off. Who did this to them?
Speaker 5: All?
Speaker 3: They're thirty five thousand dollars worth of jewelry's gone, and they it was like late at night eleven thirty, So there weren't you know, it's Time Square, but not the middle of Times Square, and they get buzzed up and and Tupauc is just pissed, you know, he's angry, and and he sees he sees Biggie there and and you know, they're they're all. You can see him afterwards from a TV camera milling around out front Claud Studios when police were there too. And so then the next day Tupac goes to court and ends up in jail pending this rape trial. And from months earlier, and he's in jail, he's told, hey, hey, Biggie set you up. Biggie was there, He's the one who he did. And Tupac believed it. He believed that Biggie Smalls and Sean Combs set him up to be shot at Claud Studios, even though it was just it looked like a rob a robbery opportunity. It was a robbery of jewelry, and nobody knew. Nobody could give a good description in any of the guys who pulled off the robbery. Couldn't. There was no no no one. There were nobodies, no one. Any of the people were associated with, but that's what's parked the hip hop wara. And that's when Biggie and Tupac became real rivals instead of buddies and Tupac bringing him up on the stage, which he often did. Tupac ut Biggie on the stake. He helped make him famous, and Biggie was upset, you know, about the whole thing. And because he didn't have anything to do with at all, evidence points to you know him not and the police didn't pursue the case. The initially I thought it was different, but that it wasn't. They didn't pursue the robbery case because they had nothing to go on, nothing, and they pursued it for a week and two and then Tupac won it. Talked to them and they said they dropped it because you know, the victim want it cooperate, but you know, victims died. You don't have to have the cooperation of the victim, as you know, to investigate a case dead victim. You don't not cover a murder because the victims daddy and can't cooperate. But there wasn't anything to go on and they would have been spinning their nail on their heels. I mean I don't know if they checked any pawn shops to see if they could find the jewelry. A lot of it was pretty prominent, prominently known, like the death Row gold medallion, things like that, and there was always a bounty on one of those. But I don't think anybody intended to kill Tupac that night. You know, the only gunshot fired was was his. But that's, you know, the beginning, that that was it for the East coast, West coast, that's where it began.
Speaker 5: Now, you're right, the Tupac is publicly claiming that Puff Daddy and Biggie Small's had something to do with this ambush, and Biggie Smalls is denying this, and Biggie even visited Tupac in the hospital right after this, So very very interesting. Now, while publicly that's going on, and in the East Coast, West Coast, Biggie Small is considered East coast, and of course Tupac is considered West coast. So in September of ninety six in Vegas, tell us about Tupac is supposed to attend a Mike Well does attend a Mike Tyson Bruce Selden heavyweight boxing match in Vegas again was supposed to happen afterwards, Well.
Speaker 3: He was supposed to perform at Club sixty six two, and it was all over the radio locally, and flyers were everywhere, so everybody knew about it that that's what they were going to Club six six two. And after Tupac and his his his buddies, his entourage beat up on Orlando Anderson. Then Orlando Anderson, you know, as everything I've learned shows, and they did. They did drive to Vegas and a white a rented white Cadillac, and the gunman's arm, you know, came out of that white Cadillac, and so Orlando and those guys kept going back and forth. They went down to Club six six two waiting for the white Cadillac, Orlando and his homies waiting for cupacin and and Shug Night to show up. And they did it. And there was a line around Club sixty six two for people waiting to get in, and all the bodyguards were down there, and only one was with the entourage driving to it. And so had the shooting occurred at Quad Studios, which is apparently where they wanted to do it, there would have been a lot of people shot because so many people, it would have been a melee, you know. And instead they were circling and they saw Tupac and you know, his his at one point he was standing up in the in there in the BMW, you know, he was sitting with shig Nai and Tupac was was riding shotgun and he at one point stood up in the in the sun roof of the of the car, and so you know, the windows are down his music's plane. And they you know, they had a big entourage, you know, lots of cars four or five behind them, so they weren't hiding who they were. And and uh, Orlando and his homies came up on them on the street and it's just you know, just one straight, you know, two mile trip from Flamingo where they were, and they were just circling, coming back and forth on Flamingo to get you know, waiting for him, and they happened to see him, and so that's when they opened fire and got him, you know, and open fire into the passenger. The wind those were down, so they could see who it was. They were aiming for Tupac, but you know, shig was on the other side, and I think they're probably aiming for him as well, because he was beating up Orlando. Also, you know she'd participated in the beating of Orlando. You have to look at gang mentality and there's nothing nothing organized about. It is quite disorganized. But it's a two for you did this for me, You did this to me, I do this to you. You know. They beat him up. Then they went and they retaliated. That's what they do, street justice, they call it. There's nothing, you know, anything behind the scenes. It was just a moment they retaliated against him and killed him.
Speaker 5: Right that Jesus as an opportunity, Kathy to stop for a second for our sponsor, which is ZIP recruiter. If you're a business owner who hiring, you probably face a lot of challenges when it comes to finding the right person for your role, like not enough applicants with the right skills or experience, or too many resumes to soar through yet you need to hire as soon as possible, or not knowing where to post your job to reach the right people. That's why hiring can feel like trying to find a needle in a haystack. Sure you can post your job to some job board, but then all you can do is hope the right person comes along, which is why you should try ZipRecruiter for free at ZipRecruiter dot com slash murder. When you post a job on ZipRecruiter, it gets sent to over one hundred top job sites with one click. Then Ziprecruiter's matching technology finds people with the right skills and experience for your job and actively invites them to apply. In fact, ZipRecruiter is so effective that four out of five employers who post on ZipRecruiter get a quality candidate within the first day. It's no wonder. Over two points three million businesses have come to ZipRecruiter for their hiring needs. So while other companies overwhelm you with way too many options, ZipRecruiter finds you what you're looking for, the needle in the haystack, and right now you can try ZipRecruiter for free at this web address ZipRecruiter dot com slash murder. Once again, remember to go to this unique place ZipRecruiter dot com slash m u r d er. ZipRecruiter the smartest way to hire. Now you we were just talking about the murder of Tupac Shakur after this boxing match in Vegas and Orlando Anderson, as you mentioned, is the person with the motive m but there is talk that sud Night is the actual target. Suld Knight is the actual target of these people. The fastens that evening tell us what happens after this shooting.
Speaker 3: Well, there were rumors that that Should was and uh, but you know Tupac was. You know, the window was unrolled, so it was obvious who they were shooting. They knew who they were shooting at. And to Should was next to him. Should did get a piece of shrapnel and in the base of the skull, top of his neck. So he did go to the hospital as well. And so they should they they Should runs in his car. They leave to get away, and the Cadillac goes in another direction, and two police officers were on the scene and up up above, two bike cops up above their parking garage right there, saw it and ran down. They left the scene of the crime, the shooting. They heard the shooting because they were right there, and they followed Shig's car and he ended up going up on the median, getting flat tires, hitting Las Vegas Boulevard and the strip and ended up two blocks away on this strip. In the meantime, you know, cars are driving all over the crime scene and the Cadillac takes off and disappears, never to be seen again. And so Shugar ends up at the hospital overnight. Tupac of course, is in the trauma unit, and then Shig does visit uh Tupac during during the week he's and the police did not go to Shug Knight's room to interview him, and he checked out the next morning and they didn't interview him for it was weeks and Tupac never regained consciousness. He was in a coma the entire time, so police were not able to interview him. But there was lots of talk, and especially because the East Coast West Coast Rap War, Biggie was accused as well as being a part of it, what had to be Biggie because of the East Coast Rap Rap War, East Coast West Coast Rap War, and the media and the music industry really hyped that up and it sold records, you know, the East Coast West Coast Rap War, and so that, of course, fans and all kinds of people were surmising they're all kinds of conspiracy theories, you know, surrounding Tupac's murder and then six months later, you know, Biggie smallsket gets killed. Well, it must have something to do with the East Coast West Coast rap War, which the people who shot him, the person who shot him. I think that's what was intended to try to make it look like it was connected. But it was connected by the people who knew. But it wasn't any valiation or anything like that, because that was should Knight was accused of it being, you know, for it being a retaliation for Biggie's Biggie for Tupac's murder, but it wasn't retaliation, but it certainly was. You know, I think that Biggie Smalls was Tupac's biggest rival. You know, Tupac helped make him famous. But after Tupac died and Biggie just you know, Tupac had a lot of music that was was unreleased and so that has come out since and he continued to stay very high in in in the sales. But Biggie was just flying high, you know, after that, and you want to take out one of your rivals and Tupac music kill him, you know, that appears to be what happened from everything I found.
Speaker 5: Wow incredible. Was a rumor though, after Biggie Smalls was killed, that the investigators found a financial dispute with a member of the South Side Crips. Tell us about this theory about this unpaid security bill.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that seemed sort of viable for a little while, but it didn't pan out. They kind of what Biggie when they were in LA for thirty days for about a month, going from a hotel to hotel because they they were getting kicked out of the hotels, moving around a lot in La. But he hung out at the mob Pi you know, or I'm sorry that cripsh park. You know, they played basketball. You know, a lot of the the Gsters do, the gang members did. Bigg He was hanging out at parks, buddy and buddying up with them, plus Crips members. His record producer Sean Combs hired bodyguards who were Crypts members of the Streat King, the Crypts Street King as bodyguards. And you know, they're not trained bodyguards. You know, some of them might be muscular. I don't know. They come in all sizes, but for some reason he hired them for bodyguarding and Seawan Combes wasn't paying the bill, and that that was true, that he wasn't paying them, and so the rumor was that, you know, and Biggie was budding up with them. They didn't appreciate it because you know, he was from the east, from the East Coast and they were on the West coast and the rap War and they they to get to to Combs for not paying the bills. They took out Biggie, but that wouldn't make sense because they that wanted to have given them any money. You know, it doesn't even make sense why they would do it. And it was pretty pretty orchestrated the way the thing went down, and gang members or anything but organized in orchestra to pull that off at the Pietersturn Automative Museum. So but that that was investigated and then it tan out.
Speaker 5: Now, how do by November two and eighteen, you write that retired FBI special Agent Philip Carson said he had enough evidence in two thousand and three to file charges against two officers with LAPD over the killing of Biggie Smalls.
Speaker 3: Right, and that was okay, And that was one of them was Dave mac His name is out all over the place, I'm not going to put the other name out there, but one of them was Dave Mac who was roommates in college with Suge Knight. You know, Tupac's producer, sug Knight was in you know, sug Knight, as we know, is in prison now convicted of murder in an unrelated case having to do with him, you know, hurting a the producer are trying to harm him movie producer for not cutting him into the outlaws. What was the straight out Compton, Straight out of Compton movie? Unrelated? But so Sugar is in prison, but still you know, David Mack had visited him recently, right before, right before Biggie's particulars right right before Biggie was Uh, I'm sorry, I'm messed up on the dates here, but but they they were still in communication. However it was, and Dave Mac should should ordered. This is what There's an FBI report. The FBI only the FBI has no jurisdiction over murder cases. They only have jurisdiction over murder cases if they involved if the accused is a police police officer. So the FBI was investigating it. And of course, if you investigate Biggie's you have to investigate Kupax at the same time to rule anything out. But they were investigating Biggie Small There should Knight and David mac for the murder of Biggie Smalls and and a man by the name of Amir Mohammed. I forget what his real name is. Start the last name of Harold or something that ends with the B. The last name is the B bullets or something, and he uh that yeah, that should Knight ordered it, and David Mack then found the guy to do it and had a mer do it, and he disappeared a mirrored pair. No one could find him. He's a realtor. But they're all gang related. They're all David Mack was mem piru apparently, and he I think I think he's I think he served time for an unrelated case and he may be not with the l a p D anymore. The l a p D, I mean, the FBI surmised that that was what happened, but the and and Valletta Wallace had a case against I interviewed her at length, but she had a case against the l a p D for wrongful death because she believed that members of the l a p D were involved, and and she she told me, and she told reporters that she would never drop the case, she would never go to la again until the police solved her, solved the case. And then suddenly the police dropped the case, say they have you know, they're they're not investigating the case any longer. They stopped pursuing David mack should Knight and I bought amor or whatever it is mohammed and just dropped the case. And it's a cold case now, even though they know who did it. And then Philada Wallace, Biggie's mother, withdraws her case and it's dismissed. So I don't know if there was a settlement in her case with the police department that wasn't made public. But it's very surprising that she after adamantly seeing over and over to the media four years, and then that one case was dismissed and she turned around and refiled. And it's that refiling case that she that Malta Wallace dropped, you know. So I think maybe there might have been excuse me, a quiet settlement of some sort, because I don't see her doing it otherwise. But it's you know, hopefully some point another detective will come along in homicide, and another chief of police not there a new one will decide to pursue it because as you know, there is no statute of limitations on murder, so you can't just drop I mean, you cannot pursue a case. But there's no statute of limitations. You can pick it up any any time you want. They could right now based on the evidence they have. The driver of the shooter drove a Chevy and Paula S S and Paula or what in Paula S And guess what a mere mom and add in his garage that's what he drove in his garage. And I mean that, you know, you have circumstantial evidence, you have evidence he was available that night. You know he didn't have a good alibi. So it's you know, all all of the you know, all of the parts are there. I mean, you need need, means, motive, and opportunity, and it was all there same. So it it's and so I'm gonna, you know, I'm gonna write about it until the cows come home because in both cases, because I believe, I believe they're the underdogs and the police could save their both crimes and especially Biggie's, and they've got everything they need and it's all laid out in the FBI report and there, and there are police reports in there as well. I know they're they're choosing not to pursue it anymore.
Speaker 5: You spoke to Valletta Wallace, Biggie's mother, what did she believe about Biggie Smalls and his involvement or son's involvement in Tupac's uh death.
Speaker 3: She told me that Biggie was really upset that Uh Tupac shot and when he died, he cried, you know, and she because there's this whole thing that he was in Vegas and he it was ridiculous. The The La Times came out with his story about it. The reporter who wrote that story based on one gang member was fired, you know, from from the La from the La Times, and then they issued a retraction and removed the story from its site, its website. So it was based upon one little gang banger out of Compton who fed him this ridiculous thing. That Biggie was in town and paid a million dollars to a CRYPS member to shoot Tupacket was ridiculous and no evidence pointed to that and she said Biggie was upset that Tupac didn't want to be friends with him anymore. I mean they hung out together a lot. He would Biggie would go to bed Tupac would go to bed Sty in his in his limo and pick up Biggie and a and a buddy of his. I interviewed that friend of Biggies who used to ride with them. They go to a corner bar and play fuse ball and you know, drink together and just party. And so he was and he would bring him on stage, so he thought they were friends. There are lots of photos of them together, you know, when they were friends. And Tupac bought into that set up at Klutts Studios, which was just you know, on the opportunity robbery. But he when he died, she said he cried, and the letter did and said he was he was always upset that here's someone he thought was a friend turned heavily on and then very publicly and and and you know, they dissed each other and albums and records and it got pretty pretty nasty and he never he never forgot it.
Speaker 5: M M. You talk about Tupacs writing about the Biggie Smalls and calling him a mofo and saying that I slept with your wife. So he was quite aggressive as in those in those lyrics, and the idea that when Biggie Smalls went to Los Angeles and he was booed on that Soul Train Award show, the idea that you write as well, that there was people in that audience that night flashing gang sign. So it was, as some people thought, an affront for Biggie Smalls to be and Puff Daddy to be on the West coast, especially shortly after Tupac had been killed, as a as a sign of disrespect. At least that was the story, wasn't it.
Speaker 3: Yes, it was, and it was, And it was an interesting move that that that Shawancombs decided to go to La so soon after Tupac's murder, because it was a sign of disrespect than that whole East Coast West Coast rap war. I think that would have died down as time went on, but it was. It was, you know, with things like that. He caused it himself, Combs did by going to La and and of course all kinds of rivalry stories were written about it surrounding it. They got a lot of press out of it, and he stayed for a whole month, and Biggie was actually looking at real estate, you know, thinking about buying a house and living there part time. And he certainly was not welcomed. And but it didn't it didn't put him off. And they, you know, we thought he could buddy up with the Cliffs members. And you know, Biggie Smalls wasn't a gang member. He didn't hang out with gangs. He you know, he lived on and he sold dime bags on the corner. But he certainly wasn't you know, he's just a two bit player, you know, when he was a teenager, you know, selling dope on the streets. And his mom was a teacher and you know she had to sit down dinners every night. You know, I had a nice home. She made a good home for him. And so he wasn't you know, he wasn't a street kid out all the time. You know. He he wanted to wear Raiders gears something I don't know, and he hit it up on the roof of his of the apartment building and his mom found it. Because he would change his clothes. He would get dressed for school, then go up change his clothes because he knew his mother wouldn't let him wear that stuff, and so he was trying to be a thug or whatever, but he wasn't. He was just, you know, he's a nice kid. He spent summers in Jamaica with his grandfather, so he had a good upbringing, far far differently than Tupac. You know, poor Tupac was raised by you know, she was a member of the Black Panthers, but she was a crack addict. And he, you know, he literally was on the streets at times, and you know, and he's like tricity would be shut off because his mother couldn't pay the rent and pay the rent or the electricity, and so he he really did come up from the streets. Biggie didn't. And that's you know that I think. I think Biggie was naive, and I think Combs was naive and going to La pretending like nothing was going on when you're dealing with some really angry gang members, you know, and because Sue Knight, you know, was member of Mob pyrou and you know, had lots of connections and they didn't appreciate him being over there on their turf. And then the clips were all picked off because Combs wasn't paying his you know, security guard bill to them, and so it yes, it was. It was almost an accident waiting to happen.
Speaker 5: It's interesting too that they do Biggie Smalls records Missing You with Faith Evans attribute to Biggie Smalls and and that video and that song do really really well. But like you say, he doesn't realize him and Puff Daddy that's going to LA is a huge, huge mistake.
Speaker 3: I think Diggy Smallest would be alive today. I have not done that. Otherwise, you know, the people who killed them, they killed them on their own turfs. They would have had to go to LA and do it. And however, you know, I think they should have just waited it out. I mean afterwards, Nuke Dog. You know, he got a Humby completely out deck like it was in the military vehicle with bulletproof windows and everything. He was scared to death. Sean Cones laid low for a long time. You know, a couple they were afraid, Well, if it happened to Biggie, it would the tupacket could happen to us. And so that's why it's so surprising. The letters guard down and they felt comfortable enough, and they went into that turf and and and you know it wasn't there fault that they went over there. There was no you know, Biggie didn't do anything wrong, you know. But I do believe that people who did it tried to make it look similar to Tupac's murder, which is why I wrote about it, because they were so similar. And that's why the media just picked up on a big time because you know, another very eerily similar crime happened six months later. You know, they have to be related. That's basically what and that's what the that's what the killers wanted us to believe.
Speaker 5: You talked with Voletta Wallace. How successful were you in convincing her of your ideas about Biggie Small's murder.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't try to convince anybody.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: I have opinions, but you don't necessarily see them in my books, you know. I mean, I don't come out and say that I believe that that's what it is. I just say it outside the reader to decide. She told me what she thought, and she was very adamant about who she thought killed killed her. She thought immediately it was it was related to the police because people were talking to her. She had, you know, Kupac's best friend and cousin who was after scene and those guys are you know, they they're all connected and there everybody's seeing her disinformation. It turned out that the information was correct, according to the FBI reports that that it had to do that was related to Shag Knight and David mack and and Mohamed and that's laid out. It's been written up in all kinds of newspaper articles and analyzed and everything else. And the police were ready to to indict and they dropped the dropped the cases, you know, and uh so it's an interesting turn, but no one could convince her that it was unrel it to the to the police department. That's her, that's her firm belief, and she was She had that fairly early on because of everybody talking to her. And she's different from uh uh a Fanny Shakur, who you know made she rest in peace, Tupac's mother who died a few years ago of a heart attack. But to Tupac's mother, A Fanny was all about his legacy and his music, and she wasn't concerned with the conviction of someone. You know, he was gone, this is who he was. She wanted his his him to live on. And whereas b Letta is all about all about solving his murder, that was her. That was her purpose and it's quite different from I'm sure she wants his legacy to live as well, but that was a Fanny's move. From that she formed the foundation and and kept kept him out there. You know that was a Vanish chorus. That's her legacy as her son as well. The letter all about getting justice.
Speaker 5: Mm hmmm. You're right too that that the Letta had said too that despite what Puff Daddy said about being such a friend to Biggie Smalls, that she said they weren't really friends, they were just business associates. He really said that Biggie Smalls was the person supporting her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true. Yeah, she she's very defensive about that, but you know it was it was it was he Diddy who pulled him up off off corner wrapping. You know, he was just cutting some you know, some some tapes and I think you did it on I think it was on on tapes at that point, and and he had a friend who got it to somebody and Comb's got it. And it was comb who initially took him under an and put him in the in the in the in the bad boy list of rappers and and made him famous. And then Tupac helped helped make him bigger than he was at that point. But he, you know, he did owe his his career too to Sean Combs and and it. You know, he and other people helped him along the way as well. But you know, he put his all into him Combstead, because he, you know, he put a lot into into Biggie and and you know Biggie worked hard as well, but she Yeah, I don't think there's any love lost there, but I think that, uh, Biggie looked at Sean as a friend and and Sean, of course, you know, if you you heard that song after Biggie was killed, missing you, it's just you know, I tear up listening to it. It's it's and it and it seemed like it was from the heart. And yeah, he was this big money maker and he made a lot of money off of him, but they considered each other's friends. And maybe the letter didn't know from Biggie how good of a friend he was, but I do believe they were friends. She was, she said, you know, basically she planned her son was self made, but he wasn't. You know, it takes it takes a village.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's ironic that his names of his records are ready to die and life after death, and certainly there was a life after death for the record companies and for the fans, and also for the support system that he has for his children, for his ex wife Faith Evans. So in death, very much like life, he was providing for his family. He wasn't he he.
Speaker 3: Was in fact ly yeah, in fact he had Yes, he was, he did. It's interesting the lives after death. It's almost prophetic. You know, the albums that Saith Evans was married to him, they had filed forward, they were had drawn up papers for a divorce. Biggie had the papers. Valletta told me he never signed them. So Faith Evans in her, which is incredible to me. She was the heir to his money and she is the mother of two children, the mother of one of them, right, and she she gave Valletta Wallace her son's estate, which was incredible. People do not do that. And that was said, so you have to give her credit for that was incredible, and she continued to see the children, spend time with them. They spent weekends with her, holidays and anytime she wanted to see the kids. And she has a good relationship with Faith to this day. But Faith did her a big, big, you know, deal in giving her half of them the state which has allowed she stayed in in Biggie's Teaneck, New Jersey home that he condo he had bought, and that's and that went to Faith as well, and that's where that's where the Letta lived. She moved into it after the sundime. So Faith Faith Faith Evans was incredibly generous to Letta Wallace. It says a lot about her. I think, yeah, well she did what she knew. Yeah, she did what she knew Biggie would have done. And yeah, it's quite a legacy.
Speaker 2: They all.
Speaker 3: There's not the negativity as much with Biggie as there was with Tupac.
Speaker 5: I have written The Killing of Tupac Shakur, and you've also written the Murder of Biggie Small. So if you've covered this case now this is the second edition of the Murder of Biggie Smalls, you've been immersed in this case for quite a while and and done remarkable resent search to be able to find really the truth of this story.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much. Dan. Yeah, I mean I hit the ground running. I was, you know, I was woken up in the middle of the night with Tupac's case and the same thing with a Philodeathly inquiry reporter called me the night that Biggie Smalls was killed for a comment. That's how I found out. And I hit the ground running on both cases, mainly because they're unsolved and they're so solvable, and that they're the underdogs because they're they're not solved. So I you know, I mean, I'm proud to be a biographer for both Biggie Smalls and Tupac Security because their books are truly biographies, are not just true crime books. So I'm happy to be there biographers and tell their stories.
Speaker 5: And You've done an admirable job. I want to thank you so much for coming on and talking about the murder of Biggie Smalls the second edition. Thank you so much, Kathy Scott. You have a great evening for those that my pleasure Dan, for those that for those that might want to take a look at your other work, you have an Amazon page where with the other twelve books that you have at least so far. But do you have a website that people might take a look at.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Kathy Scott dot com. It's being worked on. But Kathy Scott dot com and they can find me on Facebook. I'm never rare, So thank you so much, Dan, It's been a pleasure.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Kathy. You have a great night. Thank you YouTube bye bye bye bye.
Speaker 2: Hello. It is Ryan and I was on a flight the other day playing one of my favorite social spin slot games on chumbacasino dot com. I looked over the person sitting next to me and you know what they were doing. They were also playing Chumba Casino. Coincidence, I think not everybody's loving having fun with it. Chump A Casino's home to hundreds of casino style games. Do you can play for free anytime, anywhere, even at thirty thousand feet So sign up now at Chumback Casino dot com to claim you're free. Welcome bonet Chumba Casino dot com and live the Chumba line. No PhDs necessary, the BTW revoid WHATEVERRICI if I lost the terms conditions eighteen plus