Speaker 1: It speaking from London from the Black Museum, a museum of death. Yes, here in the grim stone structure on the Thames which houses Scotland Yard is a warehouse of homicide, a warehouse where everyday objects a paper weight, of broken wine bottle, a shaded lamp all are touched by murder.
Speaker 2: To take his jackets.
Speaker 1: Woolen handed is a baby's garment, dusty with age and only half completed sleeves are missing, Inspector, and it still has to be stitched up. Yes, looks rather pathetic, doesn't it, Sergeant? It does help? Yes, got to put it back to me a test case. I've been needing it before. On today. That jacket's sleeveless and unstitch can be seen in the Black Museum. From the annals of the Criminal Investigation Department of the London Police.
Speaker 3: We bring you the dramatic stories of the crimes recorded by the objects in Scotland Yard's Gallery of Death, the Black Museum. In just the moment, you will hear the Black Museum starring Awesome Wells now the Black Museum steyn Awesome Wells.
Speaker 1: But here we are in the Black Museum, Scotland Yards, Museum of murder. Herelive death, dressed in its Sunday best. Here, for example's the nail file was once used by a manicurist suprembent Ay finkingails was a beautiful woman, later used by an insane killer. Here's a length of cord weighted with lead and either ends pomis enough to look at, but lethal in its effect. Is a weapon of murder. Ah, Heilia says. The jacket muffles and dusty, somewhat inconspicuous in its place on the shelf, a tragic relic of passion and violence. I'm going to take you back quite a few years to a warm Sunday morning in June of the year nineteen twenty one. We are outside a small chapel in the London suburb of Kensal Rise. The service is not long ended, and the congregation files slowly from within. Out of the brilliant sunshine. A young girl emerges, who waves till a few friends gathered near the entrance, and turns along the dusty yellow road in the direction of the tarniship. She's gone but half a block, and she hears an unfamiliar voice calling out to miss Miss. She turns and finds herself face to face with a man she has never seen before, a stocky, broad shouldered young man with a round face and black penetrating eyes. I beg your pardon, miss, I think you'll drop this.
Speaker 4: Oh, my him.
Speaker 1: It is yours?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 1: Oh yes, I wasn't quite sure. Hate you ever so much? Oh that's all right.
Speaker 5: I don't know what i'd have done if i'd lost it.
Speaker 4: Mother never forgiven me. She gave it to me my twelfth person. Yet I've had it ever since.
Speaker 1: In that case, it is a good thing.
Speaker 6: And I happened to be looking your way.
Speaker 5: Yes, well, I must be old het you again.
Speaker 1: You're getting towards the village.
Speaker 5: Yes, I live on the other side of the eyes.
Speaker 1: I'm going that way myself. Perhaps you wouldn't mind my walking with you, not at all, Sonny.
Speaker 5: I thought I knew most of the posts about these thoughts, but I don't ever remember.
Speaker 4: Seeing you before.
Speaker 1: That's not surprising. I mean, newcomer to kensal rise. I already been here a few days, and that explains it.
Speaker 6: Yes, I've been transferred to the bank here.
Speaker 1: Oh you're except to be staying long, No longer than I can help. I'm trying to save enough money to buy a chicken farm.
Speaker 4: A chicken farm, it.
Speaker 1: Probably strikes you as being a queer ambition tell to have, but I've always wanted one ever.
Speaker 6: Since I was a youngster.
Speaker 1: I've even got a small piece of land picked out half an eggre at Clobra in Sussex.
Speaker 5: Ciber as a friend who lived there on the land. Yes, it's a wonderful spot.
Speaker 4: I've stayed there for a week once, and.
Speaker 1: After every minute of it, well then you've probably learn more about the place than I do. I mean, had just passed through it. But that's when I saw the lamb for sale.
Speaker 4: How long ago was that?
Speaker 1: All? About six or seven months?
Speaker 6: Have it's been sold in the meantime, No, that's hardly likely. You see, I spoke to the agent.
Speaker 1: His home years had already been up for sale two years, and looked like saying that waiting for the next ten Oh, I see, I really hope he knew what he was talking about. The two walked on in silence for several moments, then suddenly the young man laughed. I say, I've been walking along telling you my inmost secrets, and I haven't even introduced myself.
Speaker 4: I was just about to say the same thing.
Speaker 6: Well, the name's Move, Trevor Move, and mine's evening Rose.
Speaker 4: Every one calls me Edie.
Speaker 1: And that's how it all began, a romance destined to flower with all the beauty of young love, only to wither and die of tragic death. But let us not anticipate, let us follow the course of that romance, or rather let us pick out the more pertinent of its developments. After their first meeting, Trevor Moon and Evie Rose spent most of their time in each other's company. For twelve months, they were rarely seen apart, and then one evening, while strolling in the moonlight, Moon asked Stevie to Mellian, I haven't much you off. You're dying and well, apart from what I put aside from the farmize no money. But if there is such a thing as loud as I've really fallen victim.
Speaker 4: To it, Oh time.
Speaker 6: You're sure it's what you want, my dear, as easie as it wasn't, I wouldn't.
Speaker 4: Have asked you. I suppose he would.
Speaker 1: It's just that, said the flat.
Speaker 4: Well, I wasn't expecting it. You took me unawares.
Speaker 1: I would be quite truthful, darning, I.
Speaker 6: Took myself unawares to.
Speaker 1: He hasn't given me an answer yet. Now to be or not to be? That is the question.
Speaker 4: Silly, of course, how merry you are, son, you just as soon as you want you to.
Speaker 1: But Moon was in no hurry. The contrary, he was the type who could not be hustled, and a further twelve months passed, during which time he remained as devoted as ever, but appeared singularly reluctant to take the proverbial plunge. Easy, on the other hand, became more impatient as the days went by, and when informed by her suitor that he had at last saved enough money to leave the bank and purchased his precious chicken farm in Sussex, her emotions gave them to words.
Speaker 4: Oh, trebble, I'm so tired of all this waiting. How much longer was we going like this?
Speaker 1: Just a few men, darling, till I get the farms straightened, eyes and ready for business.
Speaker 5: But why com'ping me married right away?
Speaker 4: Till I a shop your straightening down?
Speaker 7: You can help me, immerse, darling by being just a little more patient at the moment.
Speaker 1: I get things in order down at Crowborough. I was sent for you. Let's a promise, so Evie had to consent to go on waiting. Two weeks later, matters having been settled, Moon busy sweetheart a fawn, farewell and left for Sussex. A month passed and no word from him. Evie had done her best to be patient as hee he dies, but this was too much. Packing a bag, she took a train for Crowborough, and, upon reaching a destination, checked in at the local inn, but she made inquiries as to the location of the Moon property. Within the hour, she was knocking at the door of a small shack on the outskirts of the village.
Speaker 6: Evie shall a darlick.
Speaker 4: She don't be angry with.
Speaker 5: Me, but God to see you.
Speaker 1: Ask how did you get here?
Speaker 4: By train? I had to come, darny.
Speaker 5: If I've waited another day, i'd i'd have got out of my mind.
Speaker 6: It's been you can't stay here.
Speaker 1: You'll realize that.
Speaker 5: Why I don't have to stay at the hotel.
Speaker 6: No, you're touching the next train back home.
Speaker 1: I'll walk to the station.
Speaker 4: No, trigger, No, I'm not going.
Speaker 1: You're not going.
Speaker 5: I'm staying in Kroger till I'm marriage.
Speaker 1: I see, and if I happen to decide against going through.
Speaker 4: With it, I must prad you haven't haven't any alternative? Triver?
Speaker 5: Why you see I'm going to have.
Speaker 6: A child, your child, Well you'd better stay.
Speaker 1: The scene changes just three months later, we're in the office of the Kromer a police station. Constable's Harris and Vernon for playing checkers. Oh, didn't see that one coming him? Playing for that a while? Alarm puts me in a bit of a spot. Hey, does that all right? Right enough? I'll get it. No fancy moves one and back's to neither do you? If I will? It wouldn't be the first time over at police Staton comfortable out of his feeling. What's that? Yes? Yes, hold of a pickle? I get me no book and take down a few particulars.
Speaker 2: Now, what name.
Speaker 1: Was it again?
Speaker 2: Rose?
Speaker 1: Missus Lena Rose? Yeah, and the missing girl daughter Evelyn known as Evie andres fourteen miles of variet kindle Rise years? How long has your thought have been going, Missus Rose? Since seventy morning? I see, Yes, we'll let you do with the prison, Missus Rose. You'll be hearing promise.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's right, Yes, good night, ma'am.
Speaker 1: Trouble how now it won't keep now? A missing girl, that's all. But Constable Hallis was in error. It was not simply a case of another missing girl who disappeared for a few days. There's a case of a missing girl who disappeared for good.
Speaker 6: Today.
Speaker 1: Evidence of that fact can be seen here in the Black Museum.
Speaker 3: In just a moment, we will continue with the Black Museum starring awesome Wells. And now we continue with the Black Museum starring awesome Wells.
Speaker 1: Just another missing girl. Yes, that's how the reported disappearance of ev Rose was first described. Nothing particularly unusual about such a report. Almost every day of the week, someone or other vanishes without any apparent reason or cause to show up again in due course, the perfectly simple explanation for the supposedly mysterious absence. But of course there's always the exception, which is why the police wasted little time as possible in checking up on such matters. So it was that the following day Missus Lena Rose received a visit from Sergeant Cross as the Crower Police station. Well, then, Missus Rose, let's get the fact. Wait, tall we according to this report you had brought her left home early on Saturday morning.
Speaker 8: That's right, Sergeant. Two days ago she told us she was going out.
Speaker 4: Of Clobra for the day.
Speaker 8: Cobra, he's a visit, has to answer. He has a chicken farm there had a very big one. I understand he only bought it a few months ago.
Speaker 4: But she's doing very well.
Speaker 1: You've been in touch with him, I take it.
Speaker 8: Oh, yes, he said he was expecting easy for lunch on Saturday, but she didn't arrive.
Speaker 1: Was she in the habit of visiting him often? No.
Speaker 8: Several weeks ago she went down to see how he was getting long.
Speaker 1: That was the only time she returned the same name get.
Speaker 8: In time for tea. I come to think of it, just about that time that.
Speaker 1: She changed so changed.
Speaker 8: Yes, she used to be such a hatty sort of girl, you know, A was laughing and joking, and then suddenly she became moody, sullen, and so as if something was worrying.
Speaker 4: Her, something she couldn't speak of, even to me.
Speaker 1: I have no idea what it could have been. I suppose.
Speaker 8: Oh, well, perhaps I shouldn't tell you this, but I had a feeding. It has something to do with Trevor Trevor Trevor Moon had thence.
Speaker 1: Oh what kind of something, missus Rose.
Speaker 4: Well, that's what heavy puzzle.
Speaker 8: I just come to an agent. Trefford was such a nice boy and.
Speaker 1: So fond of Ev.
Speaker 8: I'm quite sure he wouldn't have done or said anything to hurt her, well, not intentionally, that is.
Speaker 1: How long have they been keeping company? All?
Speaker 4: About two and a half years?
Speaker 1: As long as that? Eh? And when were they to be married?
Speaker 4: Well, I'm not sure, sergeant.
Speaker 8: Besides, I know they haven't actually set at date.
Speaker 1: I see, well, I think I might pop down the crow but I don't have a chat with mister Moon. He may be aboko on me something. Thanks for your help, Missus Rose, and don't worry, we'll find your daughter. You're probably be hearing from me again in a day two. With an encouraging smile, Sergeant Cross took his leave at the anxious mother and said for the railway station, of thoughtful expression crowding his wrinkled brow. That same expression was still present when he stepped from the train on the platform at Crowborough and headed along the lonely lane that led to the Moon Chicken farm. The gate was open, and seeing no one about.
Speaker 2: He made his way up to the front.
Speaker 1: Doors with shacked not. Yes, mister Moon, that's right. I'm sergeant Cross, so I wonder if you could spare a few months. Your silent fire means sergeants come right in.
Speaker 6: Place. Is in a bit of a mess?
Speaker 1: I'm afraid that's all right. Sit down, yer, thanks. I suppose you know why I'm here. Well, I have a fair idea. It's about ev Rose, isn't it.
Speaker 6: Yes, still near a signpa, I'm afraid not.
Speaker 1: There are just a few questions i'd like to ask you, mister Moon, ut thine, you understand nothing more. But of course I've just come from kencel Rise. I've been talking to missus Rose, who gave me full of details. She's only the sight of her mind with worry. Well, under the circumstances, I think she's taken it very well.
Speaker 7: I understand that you and the missing girl and engaged to be married, that's heir, and that she was on her way down here to visit you when she disappeared. Yes, I was at the station to meet her, but she wasn't on the train.
Speaker 1: What train was that? The eleven o'clock I waited an hour for the next one, but she wasn't on that either, So I came back home. Were you worried at all? No? Not, And Julia I just assumed she'd changed her mind about coming. You didn't think it's odd that you hadn't heard from her? No, I can't say I did. How long is it since you last saw her? Oh? Roughly speaking about for two months? That was when she last visited you. Yes, she only came here once. And I see, how did she seem then? How did you mean? Well? Did she seem depressed or worried about it? Nothing? Not that I can recall. No why, Oh, no particular reason. Not for one second during the intellgame did Sergeant Cross shift his gaze from Moon's face. He had never trusted black eyes, and he wasn't quite sure he liked the look of this young fellow. But despite this, the inscrutable mister Moon gave no indication that he knew any more about the missing Evil Rose than he was ready to admit, and certainly did not appear.
Speaker 2: To have anything to hide.
Speaker 1: It's the country. In fact, Back at the Krograth police station later that same day, Cross admitted as much to his superior to visional Inspector Broughton. So you think you so all he knows as Argant. Well, so let's just say that he gave me that impression. It was those black eyes of his that set me thinking, sure, you've got a shifty look about them. You can hardly hold the color of a man's eyes against his. His sergeants perhaps not said even so, I think the best thing we can do at the stage is to give the newspapers the photograph of the missing girl and the description of the coach he was wearing on the day of a disappearance. Just as you say that, I'll attend to it right away. First it was that a photo graph of ev Rose, together with a description, found its way onto the front page of three London newspapers. Well that should do the trick. Yes, let's hip, says Argent. Two weeks past, during which time no information regarding missing girl was forthcoming. Yet a third week went by and still there was no trace for d. V. Rose, Well Sardan, which as if we've borne a blank her. What's to do now, that's the question. I think I might pay your friend miss the Moon visit by that if you'll get much more from him than I got. Possibly not no harm. In trying to this day, Inspector Broughton could not say exactly why he so suddenly decided to pay Moon a call. Perhaps it was the prompting of fate. Perhaps he acted simply on a blind impulse. Whatever it was, he wasted no time about it, and that same afternoon he made his way out to the moon Fire found Borne seated on the narrow land, thoughtfully puffing at a much smoked play. Hello, you are another of those tempoor reporters.
Speaker 8: You can go to.
Speaker 1: No, No, I'm not a reporter. Well that's a relief anyway. He'd been showing up here in a says stream for the past three weeks. Is that a fact? Yes, you know.
Speaker 6: I'm convinced they really believe I'm.
Speaker 1: Murdered that girl, that easy rose, prying fools that they are, the way they asked questions to think I was on trial.
Speaker 6: Yes, bes you are.
Speaker 1: But I mean I think you will know more than you're telling. Why should facing that? No, he was supposed to be on a way to visit you and she disappeared. It doesn't mean I'm murderer, No, I mean anyone could have done it, done one murderer who said she was murdered? Why? No, one not in so many words. But that's what they're inferred, those special reporters. You're sure you're not imagining it.
Speaker 6: Of course I'm not imagining it. Oh I should I imagine it?
Speaker 1: Whoa? Why should you? Indeed, you're shy on not a reporter? Quite sure? Who are you?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 6: Oh, they're okay, I'm a.
Speaker 1: Detective detective, His thicker pardons the name. Oh well, I'm I'm gad it's not inspect that what caught you here?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: I just want to ever look about the place, quite clearly, answered him. I suppose you wanted to question me too, Well, thank you.
Speaker 6: I did want to, but I don't.
Speaker 1: Want to anymore. I think you're giving me all the answers I need. With a nod, the inspector turned and walked back down the path. He didn't look back, but he could feel Moon's eyes staring after him, the eyes that had told him so much, so convincingly. It's just like that, almost like the sort of stuff one reads in a cheap detective fiction magazine. Well this was cheap. It wasn't fiction. Was life life, and its first is suit that was quick, Inspector, how do you make us you could kill us? And we yes, I'm sure that as I am, I think that we'll see the end of the v reast case to night. You think he killed it, well if he didn't like NI to be out of a job. And I've benn know of your chime because I'm thanking everything on the huntspit he did my repetition included, and don't ask me why if I told you your t is mad. We're wasting valuable time. Con get a squad together. We got work to do. Work. We're off back the Moon's place and they're gonna search every inch of it. If we don't find anything inside the house, we start on the ground. And even if we dig all night, Pargeant, we're gonna keep on digging to the strike oil. So less than an hour later, Inspector Broughton was back at the chickilar a touch across and four constables, but the shack was searched from top to bottom and finding nothing on the inside, they started on the outside with picks and shovels and everything. A good lader hands on, Broughton was risking his career on an intangib impulse and he hear wis so he didn't think it was much of this nothing so far, and inspect up, we've got a lot of ground to cover yet. O. I hope you're not making a mistakes that I am. But if I am, you and up a boy, and you promise.
Speaker 6: You that I wasn't thinking of don't worry about me.
Speaker 1: My shoulders are broad enough. The deking continued, but it was too dark to see. Lanterns were lift four hours slipped by, and Eaton brought was ready to throw in us all and ye inspect, Mmmm, what is it doing? Just look what handsome has dug up the head against want to get a knifel of.
Speaker 6: The initials on it.
Speaker 1: And he seems as if.
Speaker 6: Your hunch might have been right after all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, come on, open it up.
Speaker 6: Maybe it's something in it right.
Speaker 1: Well, it doesn't feel like it. Hello, what's this? Looks like a jacket of zamzor a baby's jacket. That's what it is, all right, only half complete it seeleaves are missing and it too has to be stitched up. Yes, looks rather pathetic, doesn't it, Garden it does her? Yes? Better put it back in the case. Probably rending it. Before long, with the discovery of the attache case, the search was renewed with an added vigor, and stray articles of clothing were brought to light one by one, clothes identical to those worn by the missing girl on the day of a disappearance. A green scarf, a yellow jumper, a brown skirt, had leather shoes.
Speaker 2: A brown beret.
Speaker 1: Doesn't leave much to the imagination and specked up. Yeah, not much. But we still had to find the body. Yes, they still had to find a body. But they thought it couldn't be far away, and they were right, except that it wasn't a body, but rather a scattering of bits and pieces at once had.
Speaker 2: Been a body.
Speaker 1: Confronted with the evidence, Trevor Moon made no attempt to deny the charge of murder that was subsequently leveled at him. He seemed, in fact, somewhat relieved to relate his gruesome story of how he had sent for if he rose and, knowing that she was soon to bear his child, strangled her, later dismembering her body and burying it together with her clothing and the Attacha case, the contents of which today occupies its place in the Black Museum.
Speaker 3: Arson Wells will be back with you in just a moment. Now Here in person is Arson Wells.
Speaker 1: Moon's defense, if it could be called a defense, was a great let down to the hundreds who kicked and shoved their way into the old Baileys who witness his trial. For mister Moo pleaded guilty. There was much more to it than that. Oh yes, he had an excuse, brandied excuses. There are no excuses for murder. That Fury's verdict was never in doubt. Trevor Moon was found guilty of murder in the first degree, and two months later the day he was hanged. So there you have it, And now do we need next time in the same place, and I'll tell you another story about the Black Museum.
Speaker 2: Harry Mayne is always OpEd of fields.
Speaker 3: A Black Museum starring Orson Wells is presented by arrangement with Metro Goldwyn Mayor Radio Attraction, with original music composed and conducted by Sydney Torsch, produced by Harry Allen twas
Speaker 1: La