Speaker 1: Party audience listener question, Hey, welcome back.
Speaker 2: I'm Nicole and I'm Ben and you are listening to Wikeeding Grim, which is a true car podcast. Should I do it?
Speaker 3: I'm waiting. Okay, I'm waiting.
Speaker 2: Oh that felt good.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 2: We back, huh for the second time this week.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's like Halloween week here.
Speaker 2: Almost, but it's it's Nicole was sick and we're redeeming ourselves.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're buying your love. I don't even know what you'd say, redeeming your love.
Speaker 2: Okay, it just became a monetary transaction. I guess.
Speaker 3: Anyway, I'm just drinking. I'm double fisting, but I'm drinking tea and I'm drinking juice.
Speaker 2: I'm drinking Trench beer. You are, And for those who aren't local, Trench is a local brewery, So it's not I'm not drinking beer out of like a ditch on the side of the It's Trench. Yeah. It's good stuff, delicious and not very nutritious, but it's delicious, So there we go.
Speaker 3: So anyway, people have been like really enjoying I guess I should say yesterday's episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, from what I can tell, it's a rough one.
Speaker 3: It was rough.
Speaker 2: It's a survivor's story, which is really awesome. It's incredible that she survived that. So if you guys haven't listened to it yet, go check it out. Alison Both, it's crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like it just I don't know. It makes me feel like I need to be tougher.
Speaker 2: Need to be tougher. Well, what are your thoughts after that one? The whole wrap up, the whole thought process on it, Like, where's your head at from that episode?
Speaker 3: Well, I still don't feel like it fully processed it. It's just like incredible that I don't know. I guess human beings that can be pretty strong sometimes. I think we sell ourselves short a lot, right, we don't push ourselves and look, when you do, what could happen?
Speaker 2: That's true, that's a very good way of looking at it. Well, she even said that she felt she had an option and she chose her way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, which is amazing.
Speaker 2: So props again to Alice and botha yeah, and props to you for sticking out with another episode this week because you have been sick. But yeah, you're going through like a trooper too, so good.
Speaker 3: On you actions not going to that extent.
Speaker 2: But thank you. Well, not to that extent. No, you're not nearly getting your head chopped off and walking to your survival.
Speaker 3: But I know, I mean, well, I'm hoping that I can, like okay, because silly me, you know, you think, oh man, you're like kind of sick. Oh wow, Mika Hello. I don't know if everyone heard. She's like, shut up.
Speaker 2: She's in a whiny mood.
Speaker 3: So she's always whiny.
Speaker 2: You might hear her a couple of times, kind of getting older.
Speaker 3: But anyway, and so instead of picking like a short and sweet case, I just decided to pick a really long case. So we're going to see how my voice does here.
Speaker 2: Genius move.
Speaker 3: I know I'm really smart.
Speaker 2: Well, just before this, you did take a shot of hot sauce.
Speaker 3: Okay, this is so funny because when I was super sick, I asked you to bring home cough candies, anything great, and then you forgot them or something. And then even though you're at the store, but then.
Speaker 2: I picked up some grocery stuff, but then I forgot cough candies.
Speaker 3: But its fine.
Speaker 2: I got you cold medicine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you got other things. But then you so you were like googling how to help a cough and hot sauce. Yeh like literally just like take a spoonful of hot sauce. Yeah, and it works, It actually does. It's really weird sinuses, right, Yeah, yeah, it like really does well. One night we had a really spicy meal too, and that made me feel amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So if you guys don't have cough candies or anything, you're sick, you need some home remedies action, just take some hot sauce.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll putting the whole spiciness aside. Let's talk sweet a little bit here for a minute, particularly candy Mountain sweet, because a lot of people got the reference and some are a little upset that you didn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, my apologies.
Speaker 2: How do you not know what candy mountain is? Can you explain this?
Speaker 3: Well? No, the thing is I have seen that. I'm just not interested in it. Am I allowed to say that?
Speaker 2: How dare you? I don't know? You're more like The best way I can put it is you're like legally blonde.
Speaker 3: Okay, that is so insulting, but it's true.
Speaker 2: No, I think I used hesitated.
Speaker 3: I used to be more like that, but I think I've definitely like progressed here.
Speaker 2: Okay, well, the whole pop culture type scene is not so much for you. Am I correct with that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I guess yeah, for the majority of it. Anyways, you do have your your instances where you enjoy it, like some Spider Man movies and John Wick. You fucking love John Wick. But early internet stuff, even just internet stuff like YouTube, is not pretty much a thing.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, I'm not really like on the YouTube.
Speaker 2: Really, Yeah, I am a YouTube you're like.
Speaker 3: A YouTube fanatic.
Speaker 2: I am a I am a big old slut for the YouTube, let's put it that way.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but there's nothing wrong with that. We're allowed to have our own interest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure, for sure?
Speaker 3: How soon here?
Speaker 2: However, it's been like fifteen years since Candy Mountain, so you should at.
Speaker 3: Least I've seen it. It's just not interesting to me. I'm probably gonna get more emails.
Speaker 2: Here, probably.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're allowed to have our own interests.
Speaker 2: Okay, you are, but it's Candy Mountain.
Speaker 3: Well no, I'm telling the people that, yes.
Speaker 2: I am speaking on behalf of them right now. You are allowed to have your own interest, but it's fucking Candy Mountain.
Speaker 3: Well, maybe someone should email us saying that they annoyed you what Candy Mountain is either, All.
Speaker 2: Right, let us know if you didn't know what Candy Mountain was.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, Okay, are we like ready to roll here?
Speaker 2: I think we're ready to roll, my.
Speaker 3: Gosh, because we could probably do a whole podcast on Candy Mountain. Sure, Jarnie go to Candy mount.
Speaker 2: Oh god, sorry impressions.
Speaker 3: Okay, Anyway, I think I said yesterday what the case was on. So we're doing the case of Lacy Peterson. Lacy Peterson, Lacy Peterson, and I'm assuming you know what that is, right.
Speaker 2: I kind of blocked out, like all the information because I kind of watched like three quarters of a documentary on it.
Speaker 3: With you when I'm sick.
Speaker 2: But I knew you were covering the story, so I was not paying attention to details. Oh okay, because I kind of did want to be surprised on this a lot, so I was on my phone half the time. So no, I don't really know anything.
Speaker 3: About it, prepared to be surprised. So it's a huge story from two thousand and two, and after doing some research on it, I feel like the media actually did this case a real disservice, which it does fair I guess I should say media and investigators. But right from the get go it seemed like an assumption was made and they had their guy case closed. That's just from my research and after doing this my research, though, I can't say I'm fully convinced.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, some stuff did just all of a sudden come back from the documentary.
Speaker 3: There was some shit in that documentary.
Speaker 2: Holy moly. I remember being absolutely upset over some of the details ye in the court case. So fuck yeah, this one's bumpy. This one's bumpy.
Speaker 3: So my belief before researching is still very much so with me. But there does seem to be I guess you could say a lack of evidence. So if you don't know who Lacy Peterson is, she and her eight month old baby, the baby was still in her womb, were the victims of a highly publicized disappearance slash murder case, her husband, Scott Peterson being the number one suspect.
Speaker 2: Of course, the husband. It's always it's like they're fucking subject number one.
Speaker 3: Always Yeah, well, I mean, or like it's just the spouse or a loved one. It's so fucked up. Actually, That's what.
Speaker 2: I meant, like the spouse was always the yeah, number one suspect. But I mean, like, of course it makes sense. They're the ones who are the closest. They're the ones who's gonna be the mortal enemy, per se. And I mean they say that the statistic just rises as uh as you get married. They're the ones who are most likely to be the ones to murder you.
Speaker 3: I know, I just hate that though. I just think that's just awful.
Speaker 2: Well, if you take anything away from that, it's done piss me off, and I won't piss you off mutual.
Speaker 3: I think that you should be more scared of me.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm one who just made a sticker about true crime podcasters that you know we know how to hide.
Speaker 3: A body, right, Yeah we do.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say we have experience. We do not have experienced.
Speaker 2: Way to just give us a way we have knowledge.
Speaker 3: I don't even know. I'm just I'm myself and a whole Listen carefully. We're gonna go through like a ton of information, like a lot, okay, and I just I'm gonna be interested to hear like your thoughts, the listener's thoughts on what you think went down.
Speaker 2: Okay, a ton of information. You want our thoughts thinking cap is on.
Speaker 3: Buckle up because yeah, it's gonna be a it's gonna be a ride here.
Speaker 2: Okay, b up.
Speaker 3: Okay. So at the time of Lacey's disappearance, she was twenty seven years old. Like, that's freaking young.
Speaker 2: That is young.
Speaker 3: That's young, I mean and got little Connor.
Speaker 2: He's younger. Yep, didn't even.
Speaker 3: Get a life really, so oh he didn't. So Lazy and Scott would meet in nineteen ninety four, with Lazy making the first move by giving Scott her phone number.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: She would later tell her mom that she had met the man she was going to marry.
Speaker 2: Wow, going for it, you go, girl.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you just know.
Speaker 2: Making that first move and just going all in.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: As the relationship grew more serious, Scott, who entertained the dream of being a pro golfer, put those hopes aside to focus on a path in business. The couple dated for two years before moving in together and got married on August ninth, nineteen ninety seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay.
Speaker 3: Once they had both completed their post secondary education, the Peterson's opened a sports bar where they lived. Where they were living sorry in San Sam Louis Obispo. I'm Obispo. I'm just gonna go there, and called it the Shack, the Shack, the Shack.
Speaker 2: Wait, is that is that in reference to like the Caddyshack.
Speaker 3: I don't know what that is.
Speaker 2: You don't even know what it is, of course you don't pop culture. It's a movie Caddyshack.
Speaker 3: I don't think I've seen that.
Speaker 2: No, it's all revolving around golf. And since he was like, I want to be pro golfer, I'm going to assume that it's a Caddyshack.
Speaker 3: Reference could be I did not. I didn't research that and it didn't come up in my research. But you never know. But yeah, he was to watch it, super into golfing, so we gotta watch it. They eventually put the business up for sale when they moved to Lacey's hometown, Medesto, California, as they wanted to start a family. They purchased a three bedroom, two bath bungalow house and a more upscale neighborhood of Medesto. In October of two thousand. Lacey took a part time job as a substitute T shirt and Scott worked as a fertilizer salesman, earning himself a decent monthly salary.
Speaker 2: Wow, just selling.
Speaker 3: Hey, oh my gosh, that's actually good.
Speaker 2: That's real good. Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 3: So Lacey wanted to be the perfect housewife.
Speaker 2: Good on her.
Speaker 3: I would say, I am the opposite of that, but that is okay to each their own.
Speaker 2: Nothing. There was dinner waiting for me at home and everything when I got home from work.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I just I just know that I'm just never going to be Martha Stewart. I'm just not there.
Speaker 2: Well, nobody can be.
Speaker 3: So she enjoyed cooking and entertaining. In two thousand and two, Scott and Lacey got to share the news that they were expecting their first child, awesome, a son that they planned to name Connor, with Lacey's due date being February tenth, two thousand and three. But Lacey would never see her do date. Instead, her body was found washed ashore in the San Francisco Bay on April fourteen, two thousand and three, with Connor's body being found the day prior. That's just mortifying, its super super rough. So what happened? What happened?
Speaker 2: Indeed, well, let's hear it what happened.
Speaker 3: It was Christmas two thousand and two when shit would go south. On December twenty third, Scott and Lacey were at the salon visiting Amy, Lacey's sister. As she was cutting Scott's hair, that was like a monthly ritual.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, gotta get the dew.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you need haircuts, you know a little more often I bear. I go like twice a year. It's a problem.
Speaker 2: I am definitely increasing my haircutting ness because well, I used to just always wear hats, always wear a hard hat at work. Now that I'm like working in a bit more of an office setting, I got to look pretty every day.
Speaker 3: You got to tame your due.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I gotta tame that. Do style it now.
Speaker 3: So, as they were chatting about the upcoming holiday, Amy mentioned she had ordered a fruit basket for her grandfather that needed to be picked up the following day. Scott planned to be in that area playing golf, so he offered to pick it up for Amy. I would say that Scott had a good relationship with Lacey's.
Speaker 2: Family, Okay, okay. Right on that.
Speaker 3: Evening, Lacey would have a phone conversation with her mother again, probably making any final arrangements as you do at Christmas. All was normal that evening, and that allegedly carried over to the following morning, Christmas Eve. Lacey got up earlier than Scott, had breakfast and Scott, and while Scott was showering and getting ready for the day, Lacey was doing a bit of online shopping. You're not supposed to online shopping so close to Christmas.
Speaker 2: You know what if it was last minute gifts, you know.
Speaker 3: So she was on the computer looking at a red scar from the gap and a sunflower umbrella. Lacey had a busy day ahead of her. Scott said around the time he was leaving, Lacey was watching Martha Stewart preparing to mop the floor. She had to go to the store to pick up bread, make gingerbread, and walk the family dog, a recipe she had intended to use. Was sitting on the kitchen counter.
Speaker 2: Wait, so she was Martha Stewart, is what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Basically, that sounds like a Martha Stewart.
Speaker 2: She wasn't watching Martha's Stewart. If she was watching Martha Stewart, she would have just been looking in a mirror at that point. She's got it all going like she's eight months pregnant. She's cooking, cleaning, grocery shopping, and fucking probably painting the house while she's at it.
Speaker 3: I know that sounds like, that sounds like a lot. I am not eight months pregnant, and that sounds like an exhausting day to me.
Speaker 2: Generally, after a big meal, I feel like I'm eight months pregnant and I'm just like I'm not doing anything.
Speaker 3: So basically, like like you had mentioned, it was quite the day. It was quite the day that she planned. And this is where the first suspicion arises. Friends of Lacey. Lacey's would later testify that Lacey's pregnancy had forced her to stop exercising. Every time she would start to do something, she would have to stop and rest. It was said because of this, she needed to stop walking the dog weeks prior at her doctor's urging. Okay, just a little tidbit. I'm throwing little tidbits in there every.
Speaker 2: Once in a while, gotcha, gotcha.
Speaker 3: And don't you worry though, We'll be coming back to that.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So after Scott left between nine thirty and ten thirty, he drove to his nearby warehouse to send a couple of work emails and retrieve his new boat as he's decided to no longer go golfing, but to instead go fishing. Apparently it was a little bit cold to go golfing. I feel like it was cold to go golfing, though it was cold to go fishing.
Speaker 2: It would be more cold to go fishing out in the water.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. That didn't make a lot of sense to me. He traveled to the Berkeley Marina, where he launched his boat and planned to fish for sturgeon in somewhat shallow for sturgeon hay for sturgeon.
Speaker 2: A pounds, A big ass fish.
Speaker 3: I know, I'm people already know.
Speaker 2: My fear that kind of shit. If you guys don't know what a sturgeon is, google it. They fucking cute.
Speaker 3: They can be ginormous.
Speaker 2: Freshwater fish like in rivers. We have them around us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we can do.
Speaker 2: Go fishing for sturgeon like three kilometers away. But anyways, they like hundreds of pounds. We're talking like three hundred fucking pound fish.
Speaker 3: And I'm assuming, like are they good eating? Can you eat that?
Speaker 2: They're highly illegal to to.
Speaker 3: Oh, you don't kill it. It's just sport.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: Oh here, I'm just saying, what's the point unless you're gonna eat it?
Speaker 2: No, I don't know if they're still endangered, but they were like an endangered they're a protected species.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. That's so interesting to me because I just feel like, if you're going to try to catch one of them, it'd be like to eat. But sport fishing, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well if you're in a couple hundred pound fish, that's worth sport.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, it makes sense.
Speaker 2: You don't harm the animal, which generally you go guides and stuff. Yeah, you do pretty good. You don't harm the animal, and they let them go.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Okay, So now some interesting things in regards to the boat I mentioned it was it was a newer It was a new boat. It was like new to them. I'm pretty sure is purchased us. It was nice, but it wasn't anything fancy. It was a fishing boat, a fourteen foot aluminum boat.
Speaker 2: Okay, not enclosed.
Speaker 3: Anyone could see what the interior might contain, so you get a little bit of a picture of what this boat looked like.
Speaker 2: Gotcha.
Speaker 3: Some reports say Lacey didn't know about the boat because she hadn't shared the news with her family that they purchased it, and that would have been something she would have shared. But then some say she was at the warehouse days prior and so would have clearly known about the boat.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: After he wrapped up fishing for the day and was en route to drop off the boat and head home, Scott foamed and left Lacey a voicemail. I have a clip of this voice smell to play. It's not like overly important or anything, but I think it's interesting to hear in regards to what he'll later be accused of.
Speaker 2: Sounds good. Let's hear it be beautiful.
Speaker 4: I just got to say message at home two fifteen Linten, Berkeley, I won't be able to get to develop farms to get that basket for pop on the world's hoping you would get this message and going out there, I'll see in it. We love it.
Speaker 2: Good message.
Speaker 3: So there you have it. I feel like that seems like a pretty normal voicemail that a husband would leave their wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it does. I mean he's better and up a little bit. He called her, what beautiful sweetie, in said I love you.
Speaker 3: So which Okay, if you left me voicemail, I'd be like, hey, babe, and then you would definitely probably say love you too.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I'm most likely thinking, Okay, he just left his eight month pregnant wife at home to cook and clean and take care of pretty much everything on Christmas Eve while I fuck off and go fishing. I'd be buttering you up too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's kind of funny that you say that, because literally I was like, if anything of the day seems suspicious, it's why Scott gets to go fishing and Lacey's at home tackling this long like Christmas to do list. Yeah, like, what the heck here?
Speaker 2: No kidding, but we.
Speaker 3: Have no idea what kind of arrangement they at home in regards to how they split work. And then knowing that Lacey liked, you know, housewife tasks, I suppose you could call them. Maybe she wanted to do them and didn't need his help or something.
Speaker 2: Right, everyone's relationship dynamic is different, right, absolutely in that effort effort you make it work like and that's important. But yeah, he doesn't seem like any sort of douche canoe to me, unless he's like making his pregnant wife do the shit and he's just a dick and he's like fuck you and going fishing, dick move. But if that's not the case, then yeah, I know it.
Speaker 3: Zoycemel makes him sound like so nice, but he is. He is a douche canal. I'll at least say that much.
Speaker 2: All right, all right, we don't like this guy. Fuck you, Scott Rene.
Speaker 3: Okay, So back to the Peterson home, things were unfortunately not going so well. We do know that Lacey somewhat stuck to her plan because there was a maltbucket outside and she had been reported by many eyewitnesses as outwalking her dog. So the first noteworthy timestamp was the Peterson's neighbor at ten eighteen, who found Mackenzie, their dog, out in the yard in the front yard with a leishawn. She returned the dog to the backyard, not really thinking much of it. Then there were numerous sightings of Lacey walking Mackenzie from about ten forty five to like eleven thirty along a route that does make sense, a route she would take. Okay, and we're talking like twenty plus eyewitness reports seeing her. Oh wow, okay, Like it wasn't just like one or two.
Speaker 2: She clearly not following doctor's orders though, Yeah, I guess not so.
Speaker 3: The mailman also delivered mail to the Peterson's home between this time, and he recalls that the gate was open and that Mackenzie wasn't there to bark at him, and Mackenzie was the type of dog that if home, would have been barking at the mailman.
Speaker 2: Gotcha. And if TikTok or Instagram has taught me anything, it's that mailmen know the dogs in their route too.
Speaker 3: Oh oh yeah, And that's like literally in this documentary that I watched that was said, like you know what dog's going to bark at you, and you know where to watch your back.
Speaker 2: Maybe, yeah, because I've seen like clips and reels and stuff of like these malemen and male women and male persons going around in their roots and it's like they know the dog's names and like all this, and they're like they know the new dogs or anything. They just they know they know.
Speaker 3: Well. I've seen ones too where they have like cookies or whatever, yeah for the dogs, and the dogs just like sit there waiting they know, and the mailman or mail woman or person like you said, is coming and they're just like waiting for that cookie. Yeah, like dogs are just like peer Oh my.
Speaker 2: Gosh, the angels, Yeah they are.
Speaker 3: Okay, where was it here? So at this time, so the mailman came. There was no barking for mackenzie. But this is also the time that Lacy was being witnesses out on our walk, so that makes sense. But none of the sightings of her walking the dog would be later heard in court. Oh yeah, fuck yeah. Next noteworthy times tamp was the witness of a burglary across the street from the Peterson's. That family where the burglar was taking place left for vacation around ten thirty that morning at about ten forty, and neighbor drove by, witnessing, as she described it, three short, dark, darker skin suspicious people at a van, stopping what they were doing as she drove by to watch her. That's kind of weird.
Speaker 2: Well, I just saw the case. They're the ones who did this. Find them? You find her period.
Speaker 3: That's interesting that you say that.
Speaker 2: Detective Ben has solved the case.
Speaker 3: Case closed. Okay, so this was taking place right around when Lacey would have been returning home from her walk with McKenzie.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: In fact, that's what she was doing that morning. We'll talk more about this burglary near the end.
Speaker 2: Okay if in fact, okay, you threw a wrench in my plan.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, some people say that there's no way she was out walking, Okay, okay, because doctor's orders.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she wasn't supposed to. Okay, Okay, you got my attention.
Speaker 3: So when Sco finally returned home, he said he returned home to an empty house. Their dog was in the backyard still with the leasha on, and Lacey's vehicle was in the driveway. But he didn't think much of any of this and just thought maybe Lacy had been picked up by her mom and was over at their house.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, makes sense.
Speaker 3: He showered, he washed his clothes, which he got a lot of flak for as well, but he said that he basically just got them wet fishing and like he smelled from fishing, right, so he put his clothes in the wash checks out. It wasn't until about five point fifteen that Scott phoned over to his in laws to see if Lacey was there. He did this after he came across the message he left for Lacey on the machine, and also one from Ron as well. Who Ron is Lacey's stepfather, and he was phoning basically to ask them to bring something to the house like later that day. But Scott thought that's where Lacey was, right, Yeah, so your phone there, she obviously wasn't there. And about a half an hour later, Ron would call the police to report Lacey as missing.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's that's pretty quick they were on that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well they went I don't even have this in there, but like they went around searching for her, right, yeah, you know, a Scott had taken Mackenzie for a walk, like looking for stuff. But and they were making phone calls and stuff. But I think I think it would be pretty clear if someone was miss like you find out pretty quickly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's fair. I mean if someone is if if I think that if you're missing, for example, okay, the things I would check for to see if you have left on your own will or whatever, purse, keys, phone, car, that sort of thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and you probably like phone a couple people you know, I hang out with on a regular basis or something. Definitely, Yeah, and that's about it. I think they're also like even phoning hospitals and stuff.
Speaker 2: But shit, they were fucking on that they're on it.
Speaker 3: So and from there the story would attract nationwide media attention. Oh really, it's not always clear why one story will get more attention than another, but from what I read, there isn't generally a lot to report on over the holidays, Like news wise, I think it's a little bit quieter. Yeah, and it was around the time that news outlets were starting doing their twenty four hour news coverage. The Petersons also came across as an all around American family, good looking. Lacey was the girl next door type.
Speaker 2: Relatability seems to be a big thing. If you look at like social media things that go viral, it's usually something really cool, right yeah, or it's really educational, or it's really relatable. And in the case of true crime, it's not going to be something that's really cool or really entertain educational, it's going to be really relatable. So probably like, oh, can you imagine that happened on Christmas to our family?
Speaker 3: That's very true.
Speaker 2: That's probably what really made people like attached to it.
Speaker 3: Yep. So from there on, the street was riddled with reporters, which is something else to also note.
Speaker 2: Noted.
Speaker 3: Noted note that noted Meanwhile, Medessa police detectives John Breuler and Alan but Cinci reported responded to the call. But Cincinki, Oh.
Speaker 2: My gosh, welcome to Wicked podcast.
Speaker 3: Fucking I don't even know whatever? Freaking Alan and.
Speaker 2: John, is that what you're about to say?
Speaker 3: I don't even know I'm.
Speaker 2: Moving from that?
Speaker 3: Okay, holy shit?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: So when they arrived at the Peterson home, they found Lacey's keys, wallet, and sunglasses still to be in her purse in the closet. Shit, which is kind of like fuck yeah, right, because even if she was going to her parents or her mom and stepfathers, like, she would have that with her.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. And if she was going for like a say she's going to stretch her legs for a walk or something, even against doctor's orders, She's probably going to go for the to the store or something to grab something for dinner. She's not going to just go for a stroll. There's going to be a purpose behind it, right, So she would take her wallet, she would take her keys or something. Yeah, she'd be on a mission that day, not.
Speaker 3: Just a well the keys, yeah, you think the keys even if you're going for a walk to lock your door or whatever.
Speaker 2: Right, yeap. So there were.
Speaker 3: Many things that seemed to question Scott's innocence, according to investigators, but one of them was his reaction to his wife missing. You think most people in that situation would be freaking the fuck out just a bit.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, probably.
Speaker 3: But throughout the whole process, really Scott remained quite calm, which came across as suspicious to investigators. It was described so this is one of the detectives. It was described as a strange combination of polite and arrogant, disaffectedly distant, and inpatiently irritable. He just didn't seem like a man who was crushed or even greatly disturbed by his wife's disappearance and possible death. He said, I suspected Scott when I first met him. Didn't mean he did it, But I was a little bit thrown off by his calm, cool demeanor and his lack of questioning. He wasn't will you be calling me back? Can I have one of your cards? What are you guys doing now?
Speaker 2: I don't know if I agree with that. I mean sure, he wasn't all upset, he wasn't questioning, he wasn't frantic, But people deal with shit differently. Oh yeah, the way you said it, he was distant. There was another word you use, distant.
Speaker 3: Uh what did I say?
Speaker 2: It was one of the two, the two latter words that you said. But it almost sounded like he was in shock to me.
Speaker 3: Cool demeanor, calm, lack of questioning.
Speaker 2: Was a little bit.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know what I even said here, but.
Speaker 2: Either way, it's it sounds like he's in shock to me. He sounds like he's just like he doesn't know what to do, he can't process this. Irritable that was the other one. Yeah, yeah, so irritable and distant. That sounds like someone who's just like doesn't know what to do and just like panic almost and just like shut down.
Speaker 3: I know. I feel like you just sometimes can't judge people for situations they're in and like because sometimes I don't know, like just I like, this is kind of a morbid situation here. But like I was at like a loved one's funeral one time, and it's like I barely literally remember anything at that and people would probably think that I like looked happy or whatever, but you're literally like just putting on a show. Yeah, like you're freaking the fuck out inside, but like you're just like making it so that everyone thinks it's okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, fair enough.
Speaker 3: I don't know that does happen?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know for me, it's like when I don't know what to do or what how to react or anything, I kind of shut down. I'm probably gonna be distant and irritable.
Speaker 3: Yeah huh, and just trying to like process and vire on your head. I don't know, but I mean it sucks like he was he was judged.
Speaker 2: He was judged for that.
Speaker 3: So now once the police found out Scott was fishing at the Berkeley Marina earlier that day.
Speaker 2: That's sus as fuck.
Speaker 3: That area was on high alert for them, and at one point it was search ye. Also, request was put out through through the media for any eyewitnesses of Scott in the area to come forward, which essentially gave away his motherfucker Alhibi to the public.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see that, this is the one part I do remember. So sorry if I gave something away there by saying that, sus but but yeah.
Speaker 3: So yeah, keep going, Okay, where was I here? So they had basically believed that Scott killed Lacy and was at their marina dumping her body. They knew Scott was at the office, as the emails he sent were documented and timestamped. He had a receipt from the marina, and there were eyewitnesses. But Scott's behavior there wasn't suspicious. I mean, it was like the middle of the day. He was on a small fishing boat, and I think it'd be very safe to say if he had anything suspicious on the boat with him, it would probably have been noticed.
Speaker 2: Well, and you said it was what a twelve or fourteen foot of aluminum boat?
Speaker 3: Yeah, fourteen feet, but you see.
Speaker 2: In those things like like I've got a twelve and a half foot of aluminum sitting over there. We can turn it over, we can sit inside it, and you'll be able to like everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, So I mean, okay, My only thought there is, like, say, if because I just want to play all sides here, like we don't know, well, fuck, we do know according to some people, what happened. But anyway, if like you had done something bad in the middle of the night, my only thought is maybe he was going back to the scene to just like make sure that he had hid into everything. Oh yeah, right, because I don't I don't think that during the day and stuff, you will go, like dump a body, but maybe you were coming back in the day just to like retrace your steps.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because they do often say that the criminal returns to the scene of the crime. No, you got a.
Speaker 3: Point, So I mean that would be my only thought. Wow, okay, okay, okay. So but with police giving away Scott's alibi, say he didn't do this, whoever did now knew what to do with Lacey's body if they wanted it to look like Scott did it. Who Scott was at that time the number one.
Speaker 2: Suspect passed the buck.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Oh, which is just freaking terrifying. Holy shit. Some reports also say Lacey and the baby weren't killed on the twenty fourth, but later, so imagine she was being held somewhere, but the police were like too fixated on Scott to open their eyes to other possibilities, and like that just haunts me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no kidding. See, you said that that he's kind of a douche canoe and we don't like Scott. So far, I'm not presented with anything that makes me think he is a douche canoe and that I don't like him, except taking your word for it.
Speaker 3: Just wait, just wait there, it's actually coming up here. It's come right up here.
Speaker 2: All right, let's hear it. Let's hear what douche Scott McGee asshole guy did did?
Speaker 3: Okay? So something else I should mention is in the beginning, Lacey's family really supported Scott like they had his back. They defended him and portrayed him and Lacey as the ideal couple. It wasn't until Amber Fry showed up that they turned on Scott.
Speaker 2: Who the fuck's Amber Fry?
Speaker 3: Amber Fry was Scott's girlfriend.
Speaker 2: Oh shit, Scott, you got caught like that? Ah, what a dick.
Speaker 3: That's bad.
Speaker 2: What a dick.
Speaker 3: So they met on November twentieth, with Scott so like they hadn't been together long, Like that's that's only like a few weeks, right, with Scott telling Amber that he was, you know, a single dude. Apparently this hadn't been Scott's first affair either. So that doesn't make him it makes him like an absolute piece of shit. Oh sure, but it does not necessarily just like make him a killer.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Amber had approached the police about Scott once she realized who he was. All along, Scott had denied to detectives that he was having an affair. She told detectives, Oh, I wrote that fucking sentence wrong.
Speaker 2: It's all good, it's all good. Don't worry about it.
Speaker 3: Oh, she told detectives. Scott told her on December ninth that he was married. Oh, okay, this is bad, this is bad. But said he lost his wife and this would be the first holiday without her. What like, huh, considering what ends up happening, that's quite a thing to say.
Speaker 2: So he told this chick, my wife just died and this is my first Christmas without her. And then his wife happens to fucking go missing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so he said that like a week and a bit before that happened.
Speaker 2: Wow, this dude should write fortune cookies.
Speaker 3: What oh my god. And so apparently what had happened, though, is one of Amber's friends found out Scott was married, and so Scott had to come up fairly quickly with some sort of lie. Okay, and that's what the fuck he came up with.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 3: So what happened next is quite interesting. Amber started working with the police and secretly recording her phone conversations with Scott.
Speaker 2: Shit.
Speaker 3: The hope was that they could get him to confess. Okay, okay, Scott had told Amber that he'd be traveling for the holidays. So one particular conversation, he pretended to be in Paris while talking to Amber, but in reality, he was actually attending his wife's New Year's Eve candlelight vigual in modesto.
Speaker 2: Lay. Fuck. Yeah, So he's on the fucking phone with his mistress while he's at his wife's fucking fucking funeral.
Speaker 3: So it's just like it's shit like that that just like fucks with people here, right.
Speaker 2: Scott is a fucking douchebag. I don't know if he's a murderer, but he's a fucking.
Speaker 3: Like that's disgusting. And something I didn't even put in here is because like media was just all over this. They were like all over this, and so they also would take photos and stuff of Scott and of course like pick just the worst possible one. So like he is at this candlelight vigual thing and there's a photo of him like smiling or laughing. Yeah, and of course that goes on like the cover of all these like tabloid magazines, right of course, But in reality, someone said that he was just like sharing a sweet moment with his niece who was there. Yeah, Like, I mean, what is he supposed to do? Stand to the side the whole time and just like brown, Like I don't know. I mean, I guess technically, but he's also there, and like, you know, these people are trying to help find his wife.
Speaker 2: And but I mean, that's what that's what media does. They look for that split moment where they can make a buck off something. It's oh, he smiled when he should be sad, This will go great. You know, I actually hate that. Yeah, scummy as fuck.
Speaker 3: So there had been quite an extensive search for Lacey. A search was done along Dry Creek, an area Lacey would have been walking the dog. The search included helicopters K nine units, water rescue units, along with numerous officers. Lacey's loved ones and volunteers also took part in the search.
Speaker 2: Extensive.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like they did.
Speaker 2: A lot.
Speaker 3: Flyers were posted, press conferences were held. An initial reward of twenty five thousand was offered. That was later increased to two hundred and fifty thousand and five hundred thousand for information leading to Lacey's safe return.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: It was reported that in the hundreds were searching for Lacey, and considering the story had such significant media coverage, like, I'm sure it was even more than that almost likely.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's uh, that's awesome for them for actually getting that kind of community involvement.
Speaker 3: It wasn't until April thirteenth, and I've mentioned the state that a couple outwalking their dog came across a decomposing but apparently well preserved body of a male fetus in a marsh area of the San Francisco shore in Richmond's Point Isabelle Regional Shoreline Park, which is a mouthful which is north of Berkeley. The babies and bilical cord was still attached, appearing to have been torn. And two very interesting things in regards to this baby, who was later identified to be Connor. Connor had twine knotted around his neck and his ear was pinned down with.
Speaker 2: Tape with tape.
Speaker 3: So it was like folded and pinned with tape. What fuck, which could indicate that he was potentially handled outside of Lacy's body.
Speaker 2: I think that most likely would indication.
Speaker 3: I know it was always said potentially, but I mean like the fact that he had I don't know, we're going to go into this a bit more here, but like this is it doesn't make any sense.
Speaker 2: I can understand it's not with certainty, but I could say it's with utmost well, it's it's almost certain that it's an indication of that.
Speaker 3: Well, and what I was going to say, I was going to say this a little bit later, but I'll say it now. It doesn't make sense though that Connor's body was like in better shape then, right, because the idea that maybe it was in better shape because it was actually in Lacey's body and then like came out later. Okay, yeah, right, which makes sense that it would be in better shape, But then how would it have gotten like tape on its ear in the water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's not going to get tape. Like tape doesn't just adhere and then pin something down on its own, I know, especially without water. We've all had like a little ball of tape or something get stuck in her hand. It gets stuck on you, but it doesn't pin shit down. It's not it's not going to be like, oh, I went to bet our sleep last night in my bed after wrapping Christmas presents, and I woke up my eyes were tape shut I don't know how that happened.
Speaker 3: It's like what, Yeah, Like it's super weird evidence, Like that's fucking weird that.
Speaker 2: That's the twine. I could see like getting tanked.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I could see that, but not the tape. Not the tape.
Speaker 2: Not the tape. The tape don't make sense.
Speaker 3: Lacey's body would be found the following day, about one mile away from where Connor was found. The corpse was wearing beige pants a maternity bra, but was in really rough shape. Lacey's body was decapitated and her limbs were missing, so it's basically just her torso that was found.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Following the discovery of the bodies, Scott would be arrested on April eighteenth, two thousand and three. He was in he was at a golf course in San Diego.
Speaker 2: And how far off was were the bodies found from where he went fishing.
Speaker 3: I don't. I kind of touched a little bit on that later in like the court, but it was in like kind of the general area, gotcha, I'll mention something about it here in a bit. So he was meeting his father and brother to play golf when he got arrested. He had his hair dyed blonde, and his car was overstuffed with many items the police would find suspicious, including thousands of dollars in cash, survival and camping gear for cell phones, his brother's driver's license, and Viagra tablets.
Speaker 2: That I didn't expect that one, but all right, nothing wrong with it. Just caught me off guard.
Speaker 3: I know, like that. That's yeah. It was explained to the police that Scott used his brother's license the day prior to get a San Diego resident discount at the golf course, and that he'd be living He's been living out of his car trying to avoid the media.
Speaker 2: That makes sense. He should have tried to go for a senior's discount with that via he gez. Sorry, I had to say it.
Speaker 3: I also think though, like avoiding the media could also explain his diet hair as well, right, like, yeah, he was just trying not to be recognized and like he was having a tough time with the media the media really like cool.
Speaker 2: Oh, I could definitely see that. But there are definitely I mean, you can explain all the items, say per se, but well, I'm just saying if someone is able to explain them all, I'm just playing devil's advocate. Okay, if you can say, well, I have this for this, I have this for this, I have this for this. But the fact that they're all there together is quite coincidental.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it doesn't really paint the best picture for Scott.
Speaker 2: No, so it's pretty damning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, there's a lot of shit that this guy did that. Just like if he didn't do this, it's kind of like odd. Oh yeah, so this the police suspected that Scott planned to flee to Mexico, with the border being close to San Diego. That's what they thought, which I mean, look, what the fuck was in his car?
Speaker 2: Was he actually on the golf course when he's arrested.
Speaker 3: No, he was like he was driving there, like there, guy's gonna.
Speaker 2: Say, if he was going to run to Mexico, he would have not had played one last round of golf. He would have been caught on the road. But if he was caught on the road, then okay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like I don't think that he was actively fleeing at that point either though, fair like he was on the route way to go play golf, gotcha. So On April twenty first, two thousand and three, Scott was charged with the first degree murder of Lacy and second degree murder of Connor. He pleaded not guilty and was held without bail. Scott was represented by Mark Girgis, who had done other high profile criminal defense work. The trial took place in Redwood City, just over two hours from Modesto. Some believed the trial should have taken place much further away to give Scott a chance to have an unbiased trial. The trial began on June one, two thousand and four. The lead prosecutor was Rick Diastell. There's many things to note from the trial. First off, Scott's defense lawyers based their case on the lack of direct evidence and played down the significance of circumstantial evidence. Oh interesting only because the only forensic evidence identified was one hair that matched through DNA to be Lacy's and was found stuck to pliers on Scott's boat. That was really the only like direct evidence. Everything else was pretty much circumstantial.
Speaker 2: I mean that could be circumstantial too. I mean they lived together how many times on that work, and I pull like your hair out of my butt.
Speaker 3: I was just gonna say, like, yeah, you told me you pulled my hair on your ass.
Speaker 2: So it's not out of my ass. It's not like in there. But you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I mean like I don't know. Like with long hair, it just gets places. Yeah, it gets places.
Speaker 2: Hair in general gets places. Look at my beard hair, you find my ha The best place to put a beard hair is on the urinals, just saying.
Speaker 3: Oh God, that's disgusting, really long disgusting. Okay. So, prosecutors claimed Scott made cement anchors to weigh Lacey's body down. However, none were found when the bay was searched, even though sonar could locate small objects on the seafloor. Because of the way Lacey's body was found, it was believed her limbs were weighed down with anchors, which makes sense. Scott had cement in his warehouse that he used to make himself one single anchor, but prosecutors believed marks on the floor indicated he made more than one anchor.
Speaker 2: Marks on the floor, Marks on the floor, okay.
Speaker 3: It was tested by the defense how likely it would be that a person could dump a body Lacey's size from a boat like Scott's with the weight of the anchors attached, and it seemed to be impossible without having the boat capsize. So they tested this. They had this a video. Because the judge deemed the test to not be similar enough to what the prosecution presented had occurred, the tape of this wasn't able to be introduced. Oh shit, so I'm just like going through just some random weird things about the court. Rou Com Cuters also presented as evidence during the trial how Scott had changed his appearance and purchased a vehicle using his mother's name in order to avoid recognition by the press, and how he had added two porn channels to his cable service only days after Lacey's disappearance. They believe this meant he knew his wife wouldn't be returning home. What yeah, that actually like came the fuck up.
Speaker 2: That's absolute malarchy, which I think is like.
Speaker 3: People watch porn, yeah, and I mean the amount of porn that's consumed. Like it's not just single people that are consuming it.
Speaker 2: No, definitely not. There are plenty of people in relationships who consentually watch porn with and without the other individual. And whether it's the other person does or doesn't know, it's completely irrelevant. People do it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but they I mean that brought up just to like paint him being this probably like sexual obsessed person. Really right.
Speaker 2: I can't remember what the study was, but I read this article quite a few years ago about some study someone tried to do on a college campus about guys and something to do with like why they didn't watch porn. Some poll they were taking. However, they could not find a single male who did not watch porn. Wow, So.
Speaker 3: What does that tell you? Eh?
Speaker 2: Exactly, Yeah, people watch porn YEP.
Speaker 3: A hydrologist was also brought into the courtroom by the prosecution as an expert witness on tides of the San Francisco Bay. A big piece for them was that Scott was fishing in the area Lacey was found, but during cross examination it was admitted by the hydrodrologist that his findings were probable, not precise, that title systems are sufficiently chaotic, and he was unable to develop an exact model of the body's disposal and travel, so his information is null. Yeah, but they still have, like the prosecution still had him in there.
Speaker 2: What the fuck?
Speaker 3: Which is It's just like everything is just so wow.
Speaker 2: This seems like one of those cases where they are they're trying to make the evidence fit. They're not trying to follow the evidence. They have evidence and they're making it fit their perception of what happened.
Speaker 3: Well, and I didn't put this in the end, but remember how I said, all those sightings of her walking didn't make it to court. It's because they didn't fit. The police bare even went and investigated those, like talk to the people really like it was just like that doesn't fit into this timeline, Like no, which is beyond nuts because there was a lot of them that is so.
Speaker 2: Fucked Are you are going to be talking about that that break and enter the burglary?
Speaker 3: Oh yeakay, that's kind Oh that's coming. Okay, we're almost done here. So obviously the affair Scott had come up, and the contents of the secretly recorded phone calls also came up, which was evidence to go against Scott's character and uses like a potential motive. The prosecution presented Scott's affair, his desire to be single again, financial problems, and impending fatherhood as motives for the murder. In the end, the jury convicted Scott of two counts of murder, first degree murder for killing Lacy and second degree murder for killing the feet she carried. He was sentenced to death by lethal injects. Holy really really. Jurors stated in later press appearances they felt Scott's demeir, specifically his lack of emotion and the phone calls to Amber days following Lacy's disappearance, indicated his guilt. That does not seem like enough to indicate guilt.
Speaker 2: How does that indicate guilt?
Speaker 3: The fact that he sat in the courtroom with like little emotion.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Others said they based their verdict on hundreds of small puzzle pieces of circumstantial evidence that came out during the trial.
Speaker 2: Okay, circumstantial evidence, yes, but.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I quickly wanted to go over a few other possible theories to what may have happened to Lacey. Okay, us with it that burglary I mentioned earlier that happened across the street from the Peterson's home, Well, there's actually a lot a lot to it, and it never came up in court really because it was deemed as solved with the people in custody saying they did the burglary on the twenty sixth rather than the twenty fourth, and the police accepted this.
Speaker 2: Oh, they just accepted it. There's like, okay, but.
Speaker 3: If you remember, that's basically impossible. Yeah, because on the twenty sixth, the streets would have been lined with reporters, right, so an incident of men stealing what they stole was a safe from the house would not have gone unnoticed.
Speaker 2: And there was an eyewitness that day on Christmas Eve, which they're just like nope.
Speaker 3: Also, when one of the cues was interviewed in regards to the burglary, some of the first words out of the mouth out of his mouth were I had nothing to do with the pregnant girl.
Speaker 2: What.
Speaker 3: That wasn't even provoked really, that was not followed up on. Rather just stated we're not here to talk about the pregnant girl. I want to talk to you about the burglary.
Speaker 2: What. As soon as they mentioned the pregnant girl, your your question should have been what pregnant girl?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you should have switched some gears there and been like, what do you mean?
Speaker 2: Holy fuck?
Speaker 3: Okay, Like that's doesn't that make you almost like a goosebumps a little.
Speaker 2: I already knew this.
Speaker 3: I solved this game at the beginning. There was also mention of this burglary within prison on a phone call that ended up being taped. It was basically mentioned that Lacey confronted the men at the house and they threatened her. That tape was handed over to the Modesto police. But at this time, guess what's missing?
Speaker 2: Ope, the tape. I'm about to fucking rage. Quit this whole episode. I'm sorry, but what the fuck like?
Speaker 3: It is just mind blowing. Okay, this is another mind blowing thing. So another really mess up theory is how many missing women there's been in the missing pregnant women story in the area. Apparently between nineteen ninety nine and two thousand and two, seven pregnant women have disappeared totally shit really, three in Modesto and four within eighty miles of Modesto.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a fucking pattern, like.
Speaker 3: A serial killer or something.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: One victim, Evelyn Hernandez. She was found only six months prior to Lacey going missing. She was also eight months pregnant, also washed up on the shore of the San Francisco Bay, and was in relatively the same condition as Lacey was found in.
Speaker 2: The actual fuck, maybe they could investigate that instead of making all this shit fit Scott not to say that Scott's not a fucking complete dbag. He is, clearly. However, I don't think he committed this crime.
Speaker 3: I know, I'm not certain that he did.
Speaker 2: I'm like ninety nine fucking percent.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I'm just gonna say, if you aren't to dive into two more, I suggest there's a documentary that I watch. It's The Murder of Lacy Peterson. It's on Amazon Prime. Because there's even more mention in this documentary of these theories. I don't have this written down, but it was like, on that same day that Lacey was I don't know, kidnapped or disappeared, another pregnant women woman almost got taken.
Speaker 2: Are you serious?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 2: Was that investigated?
Speaker 3: Not really? So it's it's honestly, like just it's just beyond fucked.
Speaker 2: Who the fuck is in charge of this shit?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Is it like Officer Doofy from the how You Fucking Like Scream? Not scream scary movie? So I wouldn't be surprised, geez.
Speaker 3: There's also the theory she was killed by a satanic cult as a sacrifice. So there's just like so many theories. I'm not going to go into a lot of detail in that one. But apparently Modesta wasn't the quiet little town some thought it was. It was just an illusion. And I don't know if the cult needed pregnant people, Like I don't know, but like, go watch this documentary.
Speaker 2: Do we know if there was anything actually stolen from the neighbor's house the breaking ner.
Speaker 3: Yes, a safe I think was so safe? Yeah? Was that it as far as I know?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, huh. So here's here's my theory. So those people went on vacation the same day that the house was broken into.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm okay, like I think an hour before it was pretty much an hour before it was broken into. They left like an hour before the house was broken into.
Speaker 2: So these people, in my opinion, clearly had knowledge of These people leaving clearly had knowledge there was a safe in the house. So it was someone who'd at least been in the house, someone who's been in the neighborhood, someone who may have a history of kidnapping and taking pregnant women, who may have seen the neighbor across the street, who may have seen her walking a dog in a specific pattern, who may have thought, I can get a safe out of this house when they leave and I can get a pregnant woman all in the same go h and that's exactly what fucking happened. And then, like you say, learnt on the news that oh so and so probably dumped the body when it was out in the bay fishing. Shit, that's exactly where I'm gonna dump her, and so he did. However, he's got a fucking pregnant woman fetish, and he has some sort of fetish with the fetus. He takes the fetus out, mutilates her body, dumps her. I don't know what he does with the fetus, but he probably has a little more care with it because it's an unborn child. But he ends up dumping it too and gets away fucking scott free. I know.
Speaker 3: It's actually interesting to know if there's any more disappearances or anything of pregnant women. Yeah, but I mean, yeah, okay, like gosh, this documentary is just coming back in my head because there was even at some point someone had like sighted a pregnant women that looked like Lacey Peet or like had stopped to pee or whatever something outside of Van oh, like.
Speaker 2: On the side of the road. Yeah, oh shit.
Speaker 3: But then there's like there was also these big problems that she was wearing her body found washed up, was wearing tan pants, but then like Scott had said that day, she was wearing black pants, So I don't know there, but like who knows, maybe they had a change of pants or something for her, Like I don't know if. Okay, So that back to that documentary. It's six episodes, so it's like a bit of a time commitment. But so if you don't have that much time, I would at least watch the last episode because it was so eye opening and goes into so many details about theories and like what was potentially like missed and everything.
Speaker 2: I think so much was fucking missed in this case.
Speaker 3: It's Yeah, So Scott remains in prison. His death sentence was overturned due to jurors apparently being dismissed who opposed capital punishment, and there is currently the possibility Scott could get a new trial. Okay, from my understanding, there is an uppending ger misconduct issue that it judges to rule on by the end of September of this year, twenty twenty two, whether Scott will be granted a new trial.
Speaker 2: I think you should. But in a new trial, that's there's major problems with new trials though, because stuff that was used in previous trials can't be used again. Ken it Oh, I don't think so. Anyways, I could be incorrect, but I'm pretty sure stuff that has been previously used in a trial cannot be used again.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: But honestly, that could be good because like, look at how many like they could bring in the burglary. They could bring in all the eyewitnesses for the lock.
Speaker 2: However, what if there is stuff that was used in this previous trial that was important. What if Scott did do it? What if they bring in all the information they do still find out that it was Scott.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean even if one if there was a problem like with one juror, there was still eleven other jurors that you know, said this dude's guilty. Yeah he is. He is entitled to twelve jurors. So I don't know. If this goes back to court, that could be something super interesting.
Speaker 2: Eh oh Yeah. And my personal opinion, from what we've discussed, I don't think Scott did it. I've already described my theory and I think that's exactly what it played out. It's got to be someone known to that family across the street, whether very well known, someone who's been inside the house that I know, or maybe not even inside the house, but someone who knows him personally, coworker or something like that, and they just so happened to be a fucking pregnant woman killer. That's what I think.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I have a lot of trouble with such a lack of evidence. Yeah, really being able to be like, yeah, he did it.
Speaker 2: And the overlooked evidence. The overlooked evidence is the problem with me making the shit fit their theory without trying to follow the evidence and find out where it leads, because you miss shit that way.
Speaker 3: And so Scott's family is like very actively still trying to fight for his innocence. He's still actively to this day says that he's innocent as well. I mean, I'm sure there are people in jail who have committed crimes.
Speaker 2: You say that, Yeah, the serial killer in the cell next to them. Yeah, me too, Bud, Right.
Speaker 3: So I don't know, but yeah, it's it's the media had I feel like, made this very cut and dry, and they even said, like there was so many reports that put out that later were wrong, or like articles that later were wrong, but they never retract them, right, They just like move on to the next thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's like that with any case and any any sort of new source that covers cases like this. They will vilify someone until they find out they were wrong, and they'll do that for views or what ratings or whatever it is. When they find out they're wrong, they don't generally do an apology or retract it. They just stop talking about it and move on to something else.
Speaker 3: Or if they do retract it where no one reads that, it's probably in some tiny ass fine print somewhere or in the magazine or whatever right.
Speaker 2: Exactly, or if it is like on a TV bulletin where it's like the news anchor talking about it, it'll probably be in the fucking bottom of the credits that scroll by at the end of the fucking show or something like yeah shit, because ratings money, they don't want to be perceived as incorrect.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. So just really quickly, I want to like thank everyone for their patients my voice. I feel like it did not bad, and then I'd also like I'll put a post on social tomorrow. But I'm like so curious to just know what other people think, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Where do you think? Uh, where do you think the whole thing lies? Is it in scott or is it in someone else's responsibility?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so let us know what you think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And of course don't forget to check us out on Instagram, Facebook. All the good social links are in the description below, including Patreon, where you can support us and get that extra episode every month if you sign up for the all access patron and and.
Speaker 3: And there's more. Of course, stay wicked