Speaker 1: Welcome friends.
Speaker 2: Jack, of course, more powerful than any of the world has ever known, is about to be unleashed.
Speaker 1: By the two people who should know better. No, lock these guys again.
Speaker 3: Next summer, Universal Pictures presents Brendon Fraser, Rachel Wise, John Hannah, Arnold de vosslo Odead Fair, Patricia VLAs Caez introducing Freddy Both and the Rock as the Scorpion Key.
Speaker 2: The Mummy returns.
Speaker 1: Welcome to a movie film commentary track. My name is Zakie is Son. I'm here with Brian.
Speaker 4: Hall Heaylew's going Zachie.
Speaker 1: You know it's it's going well, and I'm just feeling this urge to jump back into the way back to watch a movie about an adventurer in the nineteen thirties. No, not that one. Oh no, we're going to revisit Rick O'Connell and company.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I should have been like, oh, Skycaptain in the World of Tomorrow.
Speaker 1: No, not that one. Oh the Phantom, No, not that one. Man. We can keep going. Uh No, of course, you know a few years ago, you and I we talked through nineteen ninety nine's The Mummy. Yes, yes, and just like the creature in the title, we promised to return for the sequel. It's the twentieth anniversary of The Mummy Returns. The Mummy Returns, which is back in theaters, or at least it was over the last month.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, right right, they're doing that a lot more these days land theater movies. I guess Top Gun is in theaters right now.
Speaker 1: Oh is it? It's not right now? I know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, May twenty twenty six, Top Gun and Top Gun Maverick are back in theaters. I think for the anniversary of the first one.
Speaker 1: I may need to re experience both of those.
Speaker 4: Yeah, same, And I love that they do that. And I actually didn't know that The Mummy Returns was there.
Speaker 1: I would have watched it there. I would have preferred to watch it on the big screen. Absolutely, yeah. But yeah, we're here to celebrate the film's twenty fifth anniversary, which, you know, just the week that just passed as we record this. So hey, you know, sometimes sometimes you're in the mood for gas station candy.
Speaker 4: That's a very good way of putting it.
Speaker 1: Yes, The Mummy Returns, it's gas station candy. Yeah, for not an M and M, it's an L and L. That's hilarious. So Hey, we're gonna watch the movie. If you all want to watch along with us, you certainly can do that, although I would recommend if you do want to watch the commentary with us as we are. If you want to watch the movie with us as we are commentarying, well, gosh, Brian, I mean, there's only one good way to have that experience, am I right? Oh?
Speaker 4: Absolutely? I mean if you want to have the best experience listening to this commentary uninterrupted, the only way to do that is to head over to patreon dot com slash Movie Film Podcast, where for only five dollars a month, he had access to every commentary we've ever done in every episode, of course, absolutely ad free, no ads interruptions butting into the conversation, which of course is a big deal. If you're listening to this commentary and trying to watch along with the movie, you don't want an AD bumping in and you suddenly have to pause the commentary and try to keep everything in sync.
Speaker 1: It's the best way to have that experience. Plus there's also plenty of bonus episodes that you know, it's like being part of the cool kids club.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, yeah, man, we have That's the thing, Like our episodes were starting to go past two hours, like regularly. Yeah, and we try to keep it there just a manageable length for people to enjoy each week. And we just had so many more things we wanted to talk about, so we're like, well, let's record them anyway, and then we could drop them as bonus episodes, which we do about twice a month over there on the feed.
Speaker 1: I'd like to think of those bonus shows. It's sort of like it's like you get to sit at our table in the cafeteria in high school.
Speaker 4: That's a really good way of putting it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you're part of our crew. We got you, we let you in. We gesture towards you to join us.
Speaker 4: Yeaheahup, pull up a seat and bring over your tray with your rectangle cut pizzas and chocolate milk.
Speaker 1: That's right. And if you have French fries, don't put mayonnaise on them because that's freaking gross. You know.
Speaker 4: Don't knock until you tried it, really Yeah, yeah, I thought the same thing. And I first heard that in pulp fiction, you know, and then when I went over to Europe, tried it and I was like, oh, I get it.
Speaker 1: A color me intrigued.
Speaker 4: Think of it like an aoli interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah. See, now this discussion you and I just had, I'd like to think that this is what Rick O'Connell Evelyn O'Connell talk about. When that's the thing.
Speaker 4: We don't see them traveling so much when they're going from place to place. What are they talking about when they're on the dirigible or whatever, you.
Speaker 1: Know, when they're when they're not making google eyes at each other. Yeah, yeah, but hey, let's just get right into the movie. Let's do it all right. So we are watching two thousand and ones The Mummy Returns. There's only one cut. It is the theatrical cut. Having watched the movie just recently, I feel like a special edition might have been warranted at some point in the last twenty five years. But hm, you know, like special like George Lucas style, oh.
Speaker 4: To to sort of plus the visual effects. Yeah, you know, just a thought or player or update, I should say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, workout, work out the kinks.
Speaker 4: This definitely is like a marker in time in terms of visual effects, like digital effects.
Speaker 1: It is extremely two thousand and one. Yeah, and I mean the year, not the movie.
Speaker 4: Right, right, esoteric and penetrable.
Speaker 1: Maybe all right, so we'll do the usual thing. We'll hit play on three one two three, Play ready, Brian, I'm ready. Here we go one two three, play all right, Universal, Well right up top as we see the Universal logo, Actually we hear, we hear the chords of Alan Silvestri's music. I really like Alan Silvestri's score for this one. M hm. And and he came in to score the sequel because Jerry Goldsmith wanted nothing to do with the sequel. Did you read this story? I did not.
Speaker 4: So apparently he was doing a concert in London in the two thousand and uh He's like, hey, and I'm gonna do there's the score from The Mummy. And Goldsmith said that he basically hated the movie and called it quote a piece of shit movie. And apparently Stephen Summers was in the audience. Wow, And so Goldsmith wasn't called back.
Speaker 1: That makes me feel bad for Stephen Summers me too, you know.
Speaker 4: It's it's I feel like it's a strange thing to be putting on a show and playing a song and then sort of you've got to assume people are there because they like the song, and if they like the song, they probably like the movie, So why would you knock the thing that the people they probably love.
Speaker 1: Yeah, seems like kind of a funny thing. Now, I have to say I have not seen this movie a ton of times in the last twenty five years, but weirdly I haven't committed to memory that the Rocks. One line in this movie is ha cool.
Speaker 4: Macente, Oh funny.
Speaker 1: I don't know why I know that.
Speaker 4: I think I rewatched this last night, probably for the first time since I saw it back.
Speaker 1: In two thousand and one. Wow. Okay, yeah, but.
Speaker 4: I've seen the rock as the Scorpion King a lot, because that would come up a lot in top ten lists of like worst famously terrible visuals and terrible CGI effects. Yeah, but you know, to be fair to the artist, apparently they didn't have a lot of time to do it. It's very early in the era of doing this sort of thing, like full CGI characters, I mean we had, I mean, I guess technically the first fully CGI character was that stained glass window man for just fifteen years earlier. Yeah, and then really the first like main character in a film fully CGI I think is jar Jar Binks.
Speaker 1: I would say Charger. Yeah you might. You might say Kasper perhaps.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, no, that's true, that's true, But he does, I mean, and that's true in full.
Speaker 1: Casper is still a cartoon. A cartoon.
Speaker 4: He doesn't have like a lot of detailed features.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but still impressive. Yeah. I think with this film, the reach was greater than the grasp for sure, right in terms of the effect. So you can sort of admire the swing. But I think Stephen Summers, who you know, one presumes he did not think the first movie was a piece of shit, despite what cultsated, but you know the way, no, no, And I will say I I think I think the first film benefits from restraint, right yeah. Uh, and that's certainly really underscored for me having watched this. Uh. But but once he his his Stephen Summers, I mean, his desire to Helm the sequel is contingent on making it bigger and just just more and more of everything. And so that I would say works against you know, the sort of the the the tone like there isn't a lot of there isn't a lot of dread in this movie, hm, you know. And and I think, just going back to what I was saying about about Silvestry's score. Silvestry leans into the spectacle of it. I think it's terrific Silvestry score.
Speaker 4: It is, it's but it's big, it's very big.
Speaker 1: And and so the movie like at this point, like I don't consider The First Mummy a horror film, right, but it has you know, it's at least gesturing towards horror. Sure, this one is very much not like these These these Annubis soldiers are pretty I mean, they got PlayStation three energy definitely well.
Speaker 4: And then that's kind of what the action feels like to sort of like a button mashing sort of action where it's not, like you said, not a lot of tension or dread or watch out with your characters. It's just a lot of swinging swords and people exploding into sand.
Speaker 1: And what's weird to me? I had this thought watching this as we see this horde of Annubist soldiers just overtaking the planet or you know whatever. I'm like, and maybe this is the wrong thought, but I'm like, wouldn't that be no, Like if something like that, I feel like that would be a thing that was recording, you know, like like you can buy what the first film is putting out there in terms of the mythology, because it's like, you know, it's it could be legend or something exactly.
Speaker 4: But I'm like, well, it's like a world events. That's a great point. No, but I'm with you. I enjoy the first one. I'm not like I didn't like it, grow up with it, like I know a lot of people who are very passionate about it did.
Speaker 1: But I enjoy it.
Speaker 4: And then it has it captures a real throwbacky feel in a way that I enjoy, and I think it benefits from having kind of a tactile charm to it. Where's this one. I can appreciate the you know, wanting to go bigger of course with a sequel, but I think this one becomes more it feels kind of convoluted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well the mythology doesn't doesn't hold up to scrutiny very much.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 4: By the way, I after I watched it and admdlely been a long day. It was kind of the end of the day, I was like, what is going on? I was like, you know, I'll just go to the Wikipedia page and I'll read the summary when it's over. And then I read the Wikipedia page. I was like, what the hell is going on? Like I still don't understand.
Speaker 1: Help, but I was like, you know what I mean, And it's too bad.
Speaker 4: I wish they had kind of pulled back a little bit because I do think the beats are fun. It's just too much all the time, and then you just sort of lose a little bit of the charm and the fun and the right, well the human adventure element of it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So to that point, I would say a lot of the charm for me rests on these characters. You know, I actually contrary to my usual views on kids in films because usually they have dumb kids syndrome. Yes, I find Freddie both as Alex O'Connell quite charming. I find him fun in this movie. I think that he's precocious, but not annoyingly so I think he got some fun moments. And I think especially these scenes with Brendan Fraser, I like them together. I might have been in the wrong mood. Wow, Wow, let's put it this way.
Speaker 4: I think there's nothing wrong. I think his name is Freddie Both Boeth. He is totally fine. He's a good actor actually, and he's doing exactly what's asked of him. But I did find his precociousness a little really annoying. Yeah, I think here in this opening scene where he's hitting the guys with the sling shot, I was like, I don't know, like it's just him.
Speaker 1: I'll give you, I'll give you that.
Speaker 4: He's just being like a little little snot and that's not what I want out of my like young protagonist, I guess because it made me think of young Indie in Last Crusade, and he is being kind of, you know, not Braddy, but you know, a little ego and all that stuff. But he's trying to be altruistic, which I think to be fair.
Speaker 1: I mean, he's using his slingshot against the bad guys. Those are there. They're there to to you know, kill the O'Connell's. You know.
Speaker 4: Then I almost wish it's like they weren't just kind of minding their own business doing stuff, like if they had been approaching or something and he was keeping them at bay. That is interesting, Like it just seems like he's just kind of enjoying hitting these guys with rocks and I and by the way, I don't know, this is like I said, I've only seen this like twice, but it's just right. At the beginning, I was kind of like, I just wish. And that's the other thing too, is I think I immediately had that feeling where I'm like, why did they always feel like they got to put a kid in these movies?
Speaker 1: You know? Like I think I think making the O'Connell's parents, I actually like that aspect because I think it adds a different dimension to their relationship.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but maybe to what we were saying earlier, if this movie had felt a little bit less like a VFX sizzle reel and more like an actual grounded story about the characters and I really felt all the things that were happening, yeah, versus just being sort of distracted by everything happening around them, maybe I might have been more potent.
Speaker 1: For me interesting, you know.
Speaker 4: So Yeah, I mean I was thinking, I don't know why executives always feel like there needs to be some sort of avatar for the younger audience.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so so to your point, what I found amusing is that in the earlier scene, O'Connell's like, look, just go like, go somewhere else, just stay out of trouble. He's like, well, Dad, what do you want me to do. He's like, I don't know, it's go build a better mouse trap, right, which is just a thing you say, And he's like okay, and he does he does it. Yeah, I find that amusing.
Speaker 4: I am fully willing to admit I might have just been in the wrong frame of mind.
Speaker 1: Like these are obviously bad guys. I don't. I don't think you know, taking a taking a rock to the kisser is the worst thing in the world.
Speaker 4: You know, now you're You're probably right, But I do stand by my Rarely do I enjoy when it's like, oh, Superman has a kid, now, oh great?
Speaker 1: You know I'm with you. Oddly, I'm people who listen to the show. No, I'm I'm I'm not a fan of dumping kids in the movies. This kid, I he tickled me. I found him. I found him fun.
Speaker 4: Well, and then it made me think, because I like movies about kids on adventures. Of course, when it's from there, it's their adventure, the Goonies, Monster Squad, whatever. And then I was like, have I ever liked when they just awkwardly and inserted a kid into the story and like a sequel? And of course short round is like the the answer for me, I mean, and I was like, why, like, why does he work so? Well, Well, it's because.
Speaker 1: You were a little kid when you watched that movie.
Speaker 4: Actually I was much older. I didn't see that movie un till I was older.
Speaker 1: But how much older? Late teens? Really?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I didn't see Temple at Doom. That was like the scary one I interest, you know, and so I think I only saw Raiders in Last Crusade, and somehow I just kind of missed that one.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: My parents didn't show it to me. Yeah, they didn't see it till I was older. But to this day, I still find him very charming because I think he he doesn't get in the way. He's not that overly precocious. He knows it all kind of thing. He's calibrated perfectly. And of course Kihi Kwan is just magic.
Speaker 1: You know. Well, you know what I'm gonna say it, I get Indie and short round energy from Rick and Alex O'Connell.
Speaker 4: Oh interesting, I wish I did.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Now I do want to acknowledge that Evelyn. Evelyn's eyebrows are back, and we're grateful for that.
Speaker 4: I forgot about that. They're like that pencil thins. Yeah, right, in the first one, she's got beautiful eyebrows.
Speaker 1: Why on earth would they? You know? That is funny.
Speaker 4: Actually when she first appeared, I was like, wow, she is beautiful yep, Rachel Weiss.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And and the way this movie came together is itself fascinating. The move the first movie opened for the first Friday of May nineteen ninety nine, and Saturday morning, even Summers gets a call from a universal being like, get get a sequel together. And I mean, two years to the day we get the sequel, which is an insanely fast turnaround.
Speaker 4: Amazing to write it, to make it, to have all the visual effects done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty Yeah, I mean that's that's impressive all by itself. And so it it is fascinating. Like I remember the ads the trailers for this one. It was like listing the entire cast, and I'm like, how many people even know these cast members by name other than other than Brendan Fraser, you know, It's like Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weiss, John Hannah oded Fair, like the whole Patricia Velaska. I'm like, guys, I'm glad, I'm glad they're being acknowledge, But this is a lot. You know.
Speaker 4: I wonder what the impulse is to make it feel like it's stacked, like an event or something I suppose, or to.
Speaker 1: Be like, hey, everybody's back. But I'm like, it was so soon after, right, I'm like, maybe if those bigger gap right to be like, oh look we got the whole gang back together, you know, right right right? Anyway, I did find that amusing. But I like that they gave Evelyn Like here's the thing. The first movie ends and it's it's O'Connell and and Evy are kissing, and you know, it's it's the end of the action hero a movie. But they could have very easily just had another O'Connell adventure, right, and instead it's like, no, Rick has a family and like to me, to me, it's like, I like that instinct of like, let's do something different, then let's situate a different status quote than Indiana Jones. Yeah, by making him a family man. And I like that. I like that Rick has the big house and stuff, and you know, we there have been the passage of time. What is ten set ten years later?
Speaker 4: I think, right, yeah, yeah, yeah, that was funny too when they had the huge house is like, good lord, what does he do for a living? Like, well, he's like a Wayne the Big Mansion.
Speaker 1: Because the beauty of it is the first movie ends and they've got uh uh, that's sort of camel loaded up with all the treasure. That's true.
Speaker 4: That's true because I read somewhere that Brendan Fraser thought they should live in an apartment okay, And I was like, yeah, that's what I thought. I was shocked that they lived in this like big manner and Summers was like, no, but I want this big action sequence in your house, so we need a place with a lot of rooms. But that that You're right, that makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: That's a good moment. By the way, catching the rock I like that.
Speaker 4: No, I you know what, I am going to completely say that I think you've helped me here a little bit with the opening. I was I got it. I'm gonna be honest. I hate to admit it, but I did start this kind of late after a long day, and I was kind of observing the movie more than like really, I think letting it seep in. And I understand better now that yes, like those are antagonists.
Speaker 1: And they're there to kill the O'Connell's yeah, yeah, although I still don't love the character. I don't know why. I don't know why. That's really funny, but this is a big opening, you know what I mean? Yeah, right right away, they're they're establishing well, it's just more right like like this right here. If you remember in the first film, you have Evelyn, she's putting books on a shelves. Do you remember this, And then and then all the shelves fall on top of like like a domino. So let's just do that, but with these stone pillars. Yeah. So so it's this is kind of a yes and movie where like, let's just that thing in the first.
Speaker 4: Time, let's just do that but more Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And and I think that I understand the instinct and certainly, look in terms of of monetarily speaking, this movie was a resounding success. Oh yeah, yeah, you know, so you can't fault that instinct. I I'm somebody who I prefer kind of a slow burn mm hmm. But that's just me. That's how I roll. Well, I by the way, I do want to.
Speaker 4: Praise I mean, look, we're looking at actual pillars falling, like these aren't visual effects, which now they probably would be right, because it's probably hard to reset this set frankly, and I can appreciate.
Speaker 1: That that's a one shot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I think it was the movie Uncharted. A couple of years ago we were talking about where I was like, this movie doesn't feel dusty enough. If it's about an adventurer out in the jungle, it's just.
Speaker 1: A bunch of people in front of the green screens. Yeah, or volumes.
Speaker 4: I'm sure they had a couple sets, but they just you know, there's an overreliance on just filling everything in later in post. And I really do appreciate that this does feel like a dusty adventure, Like it does feel like they're in these places and that is really great and goes a long way, I think, so. I mean they add a lot of stuff on top of it that we can talk about later. Maybe too much, but I do love that it. I mean, this them and the water slashing around and the you know.
Speaker 1: It's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's kindy. That's funny, harl.
Speaker 1: He's winning over. We'll see, let's see what happened. I mean, I mean there there is a moment later in the film where it's like a Bart Simpson thing, right, like the are we there yet? Yes? And I was. I was sitting there. I was sort of chuckling as it was happening, but I was literally I was like, I was wondering. I was like, I wonder, does this make Brian small smile and make him annoying? I was actually thinking that, you know me so well.
Speaker 4: It's so funny because I don't know, I am so I am wired to enjoy something like that. But something about my experience last night was just not I was not resonating with that character.
Speaker 1: You weren't in a proper headspace.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know what it was, but but I like the you know, I can the me being such a big hit in Universal being like we're making another one tomorrow. I can totally understand that. I mean, obviously because it was a hit, but also I think everybody would love to come up with a new Indiana Jones. And that's not an easy thing to do because Indiana Jones is still around, right, and it's Spielberg, and it's hard to top a movie that's, you know, over forty years old still. But I really appreciate that this comes pretty darn close. Yeah, you know what I mean like it is its own thing. But it captures the spirit of those films in a lot of ways.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: You can't help but think about all those people digging in the desert and raiders lost dark. In this moment, right, we have just all these people, real people, you know, a real place. It doesn't look you know, there's real depth. I can tell they shot in an actual location, which goes a long way for me. And and the camera work too. There's a lot of sort of pivoting the camera around and reframing things. That's a lot of fun that really excites me.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So yeah, and and oh and of course we got to have the scarabs. You gotta have more scaribs. I don't I don't know, you know, I think, uh, scarribs to me are like are like movie quicksand mm hmm, where I'm like, well, if I ever encounter a scab, it's either gonna you know, him and his cousins are gonna just eat me alive, or they're gonna crawl into my skin. I think all because of this movie and and and the the earlier one that.
Speaker 4: Ship this, this is pretty horrifying.
Speaker 1: Crawling under your skin and doing all that stuff. Like that. Yeah, I like that. I like that.
Speaker 4: I like the lighting in that that shot. I like the him spitting them out of his mouth.
Speaker 1: It's good. Stephen Summer is interesting, dude, right. I think I think what works against him to your point about you know, the the inevitable indie comparisons, is that Steven Summers is no Steven Spielberg. And that's through no fault of Stephen Summers.
Speaker 4: No, and I wouldn't even I think he does a good job with.
Speaker 1: These movies, you know so, But but I think that the through line from The Mummy to G I Joe. Yeah, so you got you got the Mummy Mummy returns Van Housing g I Joe is that he tends to be just beholden to the digital end of things to the point where where you know, there there's an an artificiality that takes over, you know, that drives me nuts, you know. I I think that again, it's what we say before, you know, just your your limitations work in your favor, and again I mean it it. Look it's the same critique that so many people had about about the Star Wars Special editions just a couple of years before this, right where it's like suddenly, you know, George Lucas wasn't limited to whatever crayons were in the box. He owned the crayon factory. Yeah, and so he started making changes that to many people diminish that experience. Right, and again, it's just one of those things where you know when you when when you're forced to be like, well, we can't do this. What's a way to convey this? I think that can work in your favor. Yeah. I think with this movie, kind of to the point you're making the way Summer stages his action sequence, I think. I think the scene coming up in the mansion is there's a lot of fun stuff happening there.
Speaker 4: I agree, it's a good playground and they make good use of it.
Speaker 1: There's my man, Our Death Bay.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's great man.
Speaker 1: He's got a ton to do in this one. It made me very happy. Yep. As I mentioned in our track for the first film, Our Death Bay played by Odd Fair was kind of a formative film character for me because I grew my hair out long just because of this character.
Speaker 4: And you know what works too is that you can rock that. You know, It's not like it looked great on everybody.
Speaker 1: You rocked it. I appreciate that it took several years to grow it out that long, and then you know, it peaked a few years ago, but it was it was truly it was the ar death Bay a memorial haircut.
Speaker 4: What was I watching the other day, I don't even remember, but it was something modern and I was like, man, everything just looks so flat. It's so frustrating. And then you know, looking at this, I'm like, just this.
Speaker 1: Room, there's depth. There's depth. They're in a room.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but you know, it's you know, I don't I know, this is old man shaking fist at cloud or whatever. But like, you know, people are going to get used to it, and that's what movies. But to me, this is what movies look like, right, and and I just see shortcuts and things now. But for new generations, that's what movies are going to look like. And that's just you know, I'm sure, you know, I'm going to be like those people generations before who are like, no movie's black and white?
Speaker 1: What are you talking about? Well, just true in the sense that, like just a couple of years before this came out, you know, Michael Bay really burst into the zeitgeist and sort of that that really sun drenched colors popping view which we saw through you know, Bad Boys and Rock and arm again Pearl Harbor. This the same summer, you know.
Speaker 4: Ye, Transformers, I think is one of the biggest offenders where everybody's like orange and.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like yeah, and that's very much his style, right, and yet how many how many people were inspired by that?
Speaker 4: I mean it was I think of that as like an aughts kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, very much so. Yeah, yeah, see this stuff. I like that.
Speaker 4: That's that's Panache, you know what I mean. Like this sort of establishing shot sort of thing and a car pulling up, but it pulls right up and like ah, like a shade that's been pulled down over a window fills the frame.
Speaker 1: Then the shade goes up and reveals the villain. That's the good stuff. People don't do that stuff anymore intentionality. I miss it. What a concept.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why I do like even though I can't say I'm passionate about this movie, but it does. You know, it delights parts of me that that I love having delighted by movies, you know, just like Panache in shots, you know, Yeah, I like it. But that's you know, I never saw Van helsing by the way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that is by the way worth mentioning the O'Connell mansion. That's Wayne Manner, and Bamman begins.
Speaker 4: Well, I'll be damned, I didn't even know that. And when I'm saying that, seriously, the first thing I thought was like, what are they the Waynes And like, I didn't even realize that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so, by the way, this you're talking about?
Speaker 4: Sorry, oh no, no, no, uh well yeah, yeah, so Van Helsi Yeah, I guess. So I'm thinking, like Stephen Summers, I I wouldn't have minded if someone maybe had pulled him back a little bit story wise, or just sort of with the set pieces. Keep the set pieces, but just they don't need to be so much like they're dying a little too much to the point where like, you know, the music is so loud, not literally, but just you know, where everything's peaking.
Speaker 1: It's like it's too much for us to.
Speaker 4: Grasp what we're supposed to be rooting for or you know, enjoying. But I like, I like his style, you know, for the most part generally here, so I it kind of bums me out that he's not still doing stuff.
Speaker 1: I know, he just he just noped out of his career.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, because I think he's got something, you know.
Speaker 1: Well, my thought is maybe he just he got tired of getting ship on maybe, right, Like I mean, look, that Jerry Goldsmith story.
Speaker 4: Just makes me s hand honestly, Yeah, you know, yeah, totally.
Speaker 1: I just feel genuinely bad for him being in the audience so excited to hear the music from his movie and you know, like, I don't know, Yeah, here's the music. Here's the awesome music I wrote for this piece of shit freaking movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's that sucks.
Speaker 1: I don't know. And by the.
Speaker 4: Way, I just wanted to comment something I like in movies is when like a couple, they don't feel this need for them to be skeptical of one another, Like they're in love and they trust each other, they're a team. And I like this moment where you see those stockings hanging from that bookcase and she's like, those aren't mine, but she never for a second thinks that, you know, Brendan Fraser is doing anything that's a great get show. It's just even think about that, right, It's like, wait, something something's wrong. Yeah, And it has nothing to do with him, and they're both like, yeah it is, we got to figure this out. Like, I love when romantic couples are like teams like that.
Speaker 1: Well, I I genuinely I love the Rick and Evy relationship in this one. I mean they're just a couple in love. Mm hmm, right, Like you could have done the thing which we see in so many of these movies where in the in the years since they have broken up and this is them getting back together, kind of the the Peter Venkman Dana Rory right like, or or you know Indie in in Crystal Scholar whatever they didn't do that, yep, or Han and Leah, Yeah, right exactly. You know. Yeah, I like that. I like that idea that it's like, no, they're just they're they're happily married and in love. What a concept.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And but I mean they can disagree, yeah, you know, and they cannot like the way that the other does things from time to time. But I just love that there's an implicit trust. It's not like, oh, you you're a dog, like immediately jumping to conclusions about it.
Speaker 1: That's the part. Yeah, John Hannah is fun in these He's he's a very serious English actor, so this this character lets him kind of be a little sillier.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wish he worked a little bit more for me, this character. But he's doing it perfectly.
Speaker 1: He plays that that type very.
Speaker 4: Well, exactly. He's doing a great job. I just wish I found him funnier in I'm so sorry for people who love these movies. I wish I was, but I gotta speak my truth.
Speaker 1: What do you think of mister echo here a you're gonna.
Speaker 4: I was very happy to see him, Yeah you go. I mean, come on, the camera pushing in on him and the lightning on his face.
Speaker 1: He's got a great presence. It's fantastic see that right there. Man, If he's a badass, I know, got our swords. He's a get out of my house.
Speaker 4: And it's funny because sometimes you have a sequel where a character is kind of thrown into action in the first movie and then in the second movie. Probably many times, you know on a story level you want them to be involved and step up a little bit, but sometimes the actor themselves wants like, hey, I need something to do, and so then you give them a scene that just doesn't fit into the movie just so they can like do a stunt or something like you can feel it awkwardly like Jerry Rigg to fulfill some sort of thing. Yeah, but I thought they did a great job of making her slip right into being like an action hero in this alongside Rick.
Speaker 1: I agree with that. The only thing I kind of roll my eyes at is that, oh, she's actually the Pharaoh's daughter reincarnated. And oh that right there when the guy throws the knife at Rick and he catches it. That's very cool. It is cool. But I'm also like, that knife was not gonna hit him.
Speaker 4: He didn't even have to like risk his hand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was nowhere near him. It's like a well.
Speaker 4: I like the way that it's captured. I think it's like captured well, and it looks cool. But oh dude, that's where I was going on Wikipedia. I was like, wait, what, like, she's the daughter the is this literally a reincarnation?
Speaker 1: Is this and Rick is a reincarnated man? Guy? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well, was this like post the Matrix. It's like everyone had to be the one. Jet Lee made a movie called The One.
Speaker 1: The One, you know.
Speaker 4: I was like, uh, whatever, it's a lot, But then I thought about it. I was like, so he didn't have that tattoo in the first one. I guess he had those like wrist cuff things on. I mean, was that like just a great coincidence where they're like, hey, we can put a tattoo where he had those cuffs on the whole movie.
Speaker 1: I don't even even if he didn't have those wrist cuffs, they probably wouldn't just you know, I mean, like, how much time does our death Bay spend looking at O'Connell's wrist.
Speaker 4: It's like shawshank, How how often do you really look at a man's shoes?
Speaker 1: Exactly?
Speaker 4: How often do you look at the unders out of a man's wrist?
Speaker 1: That's hilarious.
Speaker 4: Speak Oh my gosh, Zaki, I have a tattoo here it's a map.
Speaker 1: But well, if I were to tell you that I'm a stranger traveling at night or whatever.
Speaker 4: And just because you know, I can't shy away from this now it's a commentary. I can't change what I said, just because I was like looking at the kid just sort of like a kid, like when he took the wrist thing, he just finds this cool thing and it's like I'm taking it and like puts it on and replaces it with the thing. I was just like, like, I don't know why. I don't know why that was the point of view I had. But it's great story wise, I think it is.
Speaker 1: And I again, this is weird because it's like our roles are reversed. I know, it's so funny. Normally I'm the guy who's like, goddamn kid, wrong, kid died. Yeah, no, I yeah, again, I find Alex quite fun in this one. But no, I think the mechanism of this this ridiculous, uh you know whatever, the bracelet of Anubis, like okay, like it's really kakamami, I mean, just all of it. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I well, now I know not to ask because I was gonna be like, wait, why.
Speaker 1: Do these people, who are these people?
Speaker 4: What do they want? Why are they trying to bring this about? Who are they trying to stop? You know, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: So the kids. So yeah, that's really all you need to know. But it's so these folks are working for Patricia Velaska's character, who's the reincarnation that she's the reincarnation of an Ox Suna Moon. So she wants them to bring back m Ho Tep so that he will then unite her with an ox Suna Moon's soul, and since it's the year of the Scorpion, they can use the Scepter of Osiris to control the Scorpion King and his army. So there, I was.
Speaker 4: Just picturing Steven Summers in the room, watching like a slow push camera push in on him as you're speaking, and like his eyes like a tear is slowly forming, and then we just cut like a little wide and he just no words, just gives.
Speaker 1: You this huge hug. He gets it. See. I picture him nodding like Miagi at the end of the first movie. And then I'm like, that's what's going on in this piece of shit movie.
Speaker 4: And then he's like, God damn it, that's hilarious.
Speaker 1: See, like this piece right here where our deathbay is like, well you're gonna you've said it, and of course the chain reaction is gonna, you know, and then O'Connor's like, you settled down, you be in trouble you that's funny like that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's a meal thirties sort of tone.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And in addition to that, you know, this goes to a comment you made in when we were talking through the first film, which is you felt like the O'Connell character wasn't really working for you because it felt like Brendan Fraser was playing kind of a tough guy. Yeah, I feel like this one leans more into his.
Speaker 4: Charm, I think, I yes, yes, right, plays more to his personality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it's it's a little bit like you know something we said about about Jurassic World, which is that the Chris Pratt character, it doesn't let him be Chris Pratty enough, and the sequels kind of let a little bit more of that shine through.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I remember in the first one it felt like I was watching an actor puff his chest, yes, acting like an action hero, even though the thing though, I think Brendan Fraser is kind of like Keanu Reeves in a way where people just like love the guy like, and I agree with that, like, and I think he does feel like Brendan Fraser in most of his roles. But I love Brendan Fraser, you know what I mean, And so I agree with you. I think in this one he gets to be a little bit more himself and it comes across a little bit more natural for me.
Speaker 1: No, I I think I think partly it's just the comfort level from from uh, coming back to a role that people liked him in. You know, yeah, I'm sure he feels happier he got he got twelve, twelve and a half a million dollars for this movie. Ooh, you know he got four million for the first one. So it's a nice little pay grade.
Speaker 4: Hey great, you know, so.
Speaker 1: Just kind of comfort level. I mean he talked about it. It's like, you know, coming back for another semester of school. You know, here the whole gang is back. By the way, if as we record this, the fourth movie is still in you know, in in in process. You know, it's coming out next year. If they don't bring back Ohdad, fair as our at Bay, they're gonna have a very angry email from me arriving. I'm gonna be quite perturbed. They must, right, yeah, they better. Well it's funny because there's a third one that I've actually never seen. Yeah, oh you will plan for that next year?
Speaker 4: Yeah, because the ride at Universal Studios in Los Angeles, that's what all the sort of decorations and artwork are.
Speaker 1: It's from the third one.
Speaker 4: Well, it used to be, at least maybe it's been revised.
Speaker 1: I don't know. That seems like a miscalculation.
Speaker 4: That's like always the thing, right. It's like when by the time a theme park can actually put out a ride, it's like, you know, the steam for that movie is usually kind.
Speaker 1: Of a little Rise of the Republic energy or what is it, Rise of the Resistance energy?
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, exactly the Resistance. Yeah, although there was a year where my friend Chad and I we got Universal Studios used to have a great deal on year passes, okay or season passes, and it was like if you bought a ticket for one day, you got a season pass or something crazy like that. Oh wow, So we're like, let's do it. And then we had this thing for a year. It would be Saturday morning and he'd be like, yo, man, you want to go ride the Mummy. I was like, yeah, so we just go to Universal ride the Mummy maybe twice, you know, do the Simpsons ride then call it. You know, all right, what now lunch? So I've been on that ride a lot.
Speaker 1: So wait, So the Mummy ride was built around tomb of the Dragon Emperor.
Speaker 4: I do remember when you exit the ride that was the artwork on the walls.
Speaker 1: Fascinating.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the ride itself is a bit you know, it's more like a roller coaster. It's less like the Indiana Jones ride at Disney, where it's a real vast sort of set you're riding through, and it's more like stuff kind of coming at you. It's it's fun. It's like a roller coaster in the dark.
Speaker 1: I got you. Yeah, so this movie you said you saw you saw this in the theater when it came out. I don't remember. If I'm introsed.
Speaker 4: There was one movie and I said this in the last commentary, when you were at that television station and you guys are like duping a bunch of movies.
Speaker 1: Someone gave me one of the Mummy movies. Oh it was it was the first one, because yeah, I mean, this is two thousand and one. By then, I definitely wasn't working there.
Speaker 4: Okay, so yeah, I couldn't remember which one it was, but okay, that's how I watched the first one. And I don't remember when I saw this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, two thousand and one, you were at Trinity, right, were yet Biola by then?
Speaker 4: I guess I was, Yeah, wow, isn't that strange? Like ten years ago, I would have with complete clarity, been able to tell you.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm like, I don't remember. Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I went to a bunch of different colleges.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we gave you. I remember I said, hey, guys, don't do these illegal.
Speaker 4: Tap tap tap this thing on. Yeah yeah, I said no.
Speaker 1: They shoved me in the in the storage closet, and I'm assuming all of the trading went on as I was desperately trying to get out perfect. I think that that should cover it. But yeah, that was the first film and then yeah, this one. I did not see this opening weekend. I remember very to single. I saw it the Monday after it opened. Okay. I went with Javier, my friend from from I used to work at a wedding videography studio, and I remember that. Yeah. I was like, I think I'm gonna go watch the moment you return today. He's like, I'll come with you. And so, you know what I remember actually is opening weekend stuff that comes back. I remember I was trying to go see it the Saturday that it opened and it was sold out. I just couldn't get in anywhere. Oh wow, So I mean this movie was a pretty big deal, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it was let's see it grows sixty eight million domestically in its opening weekend, opening weekend, and that was the second biggest opening in history behind Lost World Jurassic Park.
Speaker 1: Yeah, crazy, yeah yeah, And then and then that record was broken later this summer by Planet of the Apes. Mm hmm, right, this summer was crazy. You had just for Universal, you had you had this, you had the Past and the Furious. Oh wow? Right? And what else was American Pie was this summer two? Yeah? American Pie two, that's right, the sequel Universal did okay this summer? Yeah.
Speaker 4: Actually, I was looking because I always get curious to for me mentally to put it in time.
Speaker 1: Rush Hour two was this summer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so the top ten box office I'll just run through it really fast.
Speaker 1: Out of the year.
Speaker 4: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone number one or Philosopher's Stone, depending on what were the rings, Shrek, Monster z Inc, Rush Hour two, Mummy Returns, Pearl Harbor, remember that, Jurassic Park three, Planet of the Apes, Hannibal and the Fellowship of the Ring was number ten.
Speaker 1: Fellowship was number ten. Yep, that's kind of amazing. Actually that is that Hannibal Hannibal. Yeah, well, I hated that movie. I don't hate movies. I hated that. Yeah, Ocean's eleven was this year. Yeah, oh that's a big year.
Speaker 4: Castaway, it's a lot of great movies.
Speaker 1: Castaway was two thousands, and wasn't it Castaway was the end of two thousand. Yeah, I agree with you.
Speaker 4: So I don't know why this is off box office Mojo domestic box office for two thousands.
Speaker 1: Must because it continued to make.
Speaker 4: Oh maybe that has to do also with Lord of the Rings.
Speaker 1: Lord of the Rings. I was about to say, yeah, that makes sense because Lord of the Rings was like December, I think, right, yep, Yeah, because Harry Potter was November. Yep. I remember that. I remember watching Harry Potter opening night and falling asleep, and then that's just been my experience with the SORCER's Stone as I keep falling asleep in that movie.
Speaker 4: You've never made it through. I remember, yea, I remember you talking about that. Well you get you get a new chance with the HBO series.
Speaker 1: I'll get right on it. So let's talk about this action sequence. I think, going to what you were saying before, there is a tactility to it.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's going to be warehouse real flames. By the way, I do want to say I can appreciate why they do fake flames these days. Yeah, truly, it's it's it's safety should be paramount.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, and I do and twentieth Century Fox honestly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe Warner Brothers looks like but yeah, there's just something. But but what I do love is it's not like they like extended the room digitally, you know, So there's just it doesn't have like a real sort of depth like you were saying earlier. I love this seeing all the machine gun fire and flames and things getting knocked over.
Speaker 1: It looks great. This is kind of funny.
Speaker 4: Although I felt like they should jump out right after this moment.
Speaker 1: Right, that that would sell the gag better.
Speaker 4: Yeah, she's, uh, they've just run out of the building, and she's putting a bench in front of the door, thinking it'll stop all the supernatural bad guys. He's like, no, no, no, these kind of people don't use doors. But then they wait like forty five seconds until.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well there's a whole other sequence here. Yeah, so right here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm a little surprised they didn't do it differently.
Speaker 1: See, so the first movie ends with like Mummy, you know, Mummy soldiers, and so it's like, okay, well we got to, you know, check the list. We gotta we gotta make sure we have them in there. And then we got to make sure we get O'Connell with a nice trailer line right there. I hate mummies. Yeah, it's ever been in a double deck or bus? I'm sure you have?
Speaker 4: Right, No, I haven't, really, I don't. Well, now I think about it. I've never been to London, but okay, maybe like some sort of tour bus sort of thing where you're sitting on the top, you know, sort of like.
Speaker 1: In Hollywood double deckers in Paris. I haven't written one, I feel like because I've been in one. Yeah, and I'm like, I don't think it was in London, so it must have been Paris. Anyway, this I get. I get heavy T two vibes in this sequence here where they're there where Rick is like shooting up here right here?
Speaker 4: I thought, same thing, right yep.
Speaker 1: In the elevator yep, yep is your head the little boy be like, what the F is it?
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 1: Yeah? This is off school. I like it.
Speaker 4: I like action sequence on a moving vehicle is a lot of fun, a lot of opportunity. There's like a great little, uh sort of Spielbergie I feel set up thing with him losing the shotgun, right, you know, and then it uh we follow it on the outside of the bus and we see Vice look at it, which is an amazing setup for her having it like twenty seconds later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's great.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't know, I like this stuff speaking of summers, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you know, Brandon Fraser, you can see for a lot of these these close ups. I mean that's him getting tossed around.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can tell. And a lot later too, a lot of his flipping around and getting yeah blasted through the air.
Speaker 1: You can see his face. It's clearly him, and you know he talked about years later how you know it looked great for the film, but I mean it left him just a broken down husk of a man, you know, I bet held together by by spirit gum and baling wire. You know. Yeah, that's kind of you know, for a lot of these young actors. I mean, Fraser was what probably in his early thirties here when needed this, you know, you think the check won't come do Yeah, yeah, it catches up to you. It catches up to everybody. You know. Yeah, there it is that it doesn't well.
Speaker 4: And that's the thing too, is when you do it five times, you know, and like just landing on your knees hard and yeah, whipped around and you know, like we might take a tumble, you know, fall down a little hill or something, and that's that.
Speaker 1: But like, well, last night I was, I was coming down the stairs because there was a light on in the kitchen. I wanted to turn it off. And as I was, it was dark enough that I missed a step at the bottom of the steps. Yeah, so I I just kind of my my feet came out from under me, and I sat down and and I was like, you know, if I lie down and die right here, I think that'd probably be the perfect end to this story, because that's what I felt like. I'm sorry I was. I was like sitting there, I'm like, oh God, I gotta go back up those stairs.
Speaker 4: Those are those like life pains, all right.
Speaker 1: I have nothing but respect for Brandon Fraser getting getting tossed hither and thither, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well it had been nice if you got in twelve million for it.
Speaker 1: That's that's a good point.
Speaker 4: That which still has no no reason to hurt your body.
Speaker 1: By the way, I just by the way.
Speaker 4: Speaking of T two vibes, we get the top half of the bus. Yeah, keeled off there with.
Speaker 1: A low overhang. That's cute. I'll give it to him. Great driving, Little Alex is winning you over, by the way.
Speaker 4: So Freddy Boath is how I'm gonna say it. I hope that's I'm saying it correct. Apparently he was a huge fan of the first Mummy movie. Yeah, yeah, and he passed on an opportunity to be in Harry Potter because he wanted to audition for okay, to audition, Yeah, because he wanted to be in this movie so badly. And I was like, oh, man, yeah, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I'm gonna say, because because that kid, that kid isn't well, he's not a kid anymore. He's like in his thirties now. Yeah, he's working in you know, marketing or whatever, just just live in a normal adult life. Yeah, And so I'm kind of like, you know what, that that's that was the best path for him.
Speaker 4: And you know what if he then looks back on his acting career and he gets to see himself in his favorite movie franchise. He wins.
Speaker 1: I agree with that. It's you know, in the third film, they they Alex is like in his twenties. Oh really yeah, and so they recast their role and I was thinking, I was thinking about that, like, well that would suck, Like if they like this fourth one that they're doing, I would say, well, if you're gonna have Alex, you should have the original Alex, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which they don't tend to do right when they do the sequel. It's sort of like Independence Day. I remember, that's right, they recast the president's daughter and yeah, I'm a bummer.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was bullshit. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was curious by the way I was reading that they had to close down London's Tower Bridge, you know, so they could film. Yeah, and they were only allowed to do it for twenty minutes at a time, so for that makes sense, which totally makes sense, but it created a bunch of traffic jams, and apparently it became such a fiasco that they reduced their time to ten minutes. And I was just curious, if you've ever encountered something like that, like a road closed down for filming or.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, not. I have not, But I guess I've been lucky in that way, right because certainly in Chicago there's plenty of filming that goes on. I've never encountered it. I you know, when when there's filming in the Bay areas in the city, right, So so that I'm sure you know well ahead of time. I remember a few years ago, like you had like you had Matrix f and Venom and a couple of other things that we're all shooting right around the same time. Yeah, so you know, I was getting you know, I was hearing from people in the city like, oh, you know, I saw such and such and they blocked off. This isn't it. But but I'm far enough out of the city that I haven't encountered. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I haven't encountered anything major like that, where like a major freeway has been you know, rerouted or whatever.
Speaker 1: But what about like a James Cordon flash mob.
Speaker 4: Wait, didn't we see that? I do feel like we did see something.
Speaker 1: Did we see that?
Speaker 4: I feel like we did because we were right by CBS studios and we saw traffic was being stopped and people were kind of doing stuff.
Speaker 1: Be yes, cross walks, that's right. Okay, I do remember.
Speaker 4: I don't remember exactly what it was, but I have seen there was a car chase that was filmed right around the corner from me a couple of months ago. Wow and yeah. And so basically, you know, ads or whoever PA's were blocking traffic, so they would let traffic go, you know, east to west for a little bit, but then they would stop them for like five minutes. And then there was like a big van chasing after a little car, and there were drones following it, and then they'd reset and then they'd let the cars go, and then they'd do it over and over again.
Speaker 1: And it was fair.
Speaker 4: I mean, cars were pissed, man like I because it was right there. I just sat and watched it for a while. And I can imagine, like you, you know, you think you're gonna be somewhere in five ten minutes or something, and then you're just sitting there and you don't know what's going on and people are just telling you you can't go through a green light. I can understand being frustrated with that.
Speaker 1: Well, look, if I'm in, if I'm behind the wheel of my car, and then James Corden Flashmob broke out. I'm saying my foot might find the gas, that's all.
Speaker 4: I'm James Gordon was understandably run over today by a citizen.
Speaker 1: You know what did happen? Though?
Speaker 4: One time I was driving down the one oh one and a band was in a big van or a truck or something, okay, and they they cut off traffic, like they took over, like cut all the lanes off, and then the band stood on top of the truck and they filmed.
Speaker 1: A music video. Wow. Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: I remember being in that and I was stuck and I didn't know what was going on. And I read that that's what happened later, and I was like, there's like a fraction of a percent of me that is just like wow, the audacity or like the yeah, the balls or whatever. But mostly I'm like, dude, what if an ambulance.
Speaker 1: Needed to get through there? Yeah?
Speaker 4: You know, that's that's crazy.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Those people need a beating.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I mean, can you imagine if you were the front row, like blocked off and watching these people get up and be.
Speaker 1: Like all right, two three, four? Yeah, I don't know anyway, those band members need to be put in a room with the corpse of Tep while holding canopic urns yes.
Speaker 4: Yes, and then they get released. So then Mummy four is like the Mummy and the ghosts of those guys like, oh, like.
Speaker 1: That's what happens.
Speaker 4: We walk again, lived to Rock another day. And then Emotep's just like, h is there like following him around.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious.
Speaker 4: I did love like this this. He's got this timeline sort of like the ring, you know, where it's five days are gonna die or something, and then he pulls the yeah, hourglass thing, and I was like, that feels very imprecise.
Speaker 1: That's funny. So this this bit where where Alex is so like he's speaking in English to Alex. Yes, I was like, is that like, does Alex understand him because he speaks ancient Egyptian?
Speaker 4: Well, I was gonna say, yeah, presumably, because I think they do the Hunt for Out October thing right where they like push in on his lips a little bit. That's right, because he's speaking, you know, I don't know when he's speaking, but then he like comes back out yeah, and then he's speaking English all of a sudden, which I every time I see that, I always think, what a clever device.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know they they do that well in the Thirteenth Warrior. Mmmm. Except the way the the you've not seen that movie, I know, Yeah, so that's that's you know, Antonio benderis plays an Arab who's who's with these vikings, And but the way they do it there is like you just see him like watching them talk. Mmmm. And so you're through the passage of time, you're able to montage that he just figures out their language just by listening to them talking. I like that, but it's done in like a very cool way. Yeah. Yeah, I gotta be honest. If if you and I were stuck in a train car with motype, I would shove you at him. I'm just letting you know. I'm sorry. I want you to know as your friend, I would I would. I would feel bad about it, but I would totally do that.
Speaker 4: And then when I survive, that would be awkward.
Speaker 1: It would make it would make our next episodes very awkward.
Speaker 4: And then I approach you slowly and I'm covered in mummy dust. Yeah, just blowing it out of my face.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'd be like, you'd be like Conan in that one where he becomes the Hulk.
Speaker 4: You'd be like, look, look, look what you did exactly exactly. I was That's funny, that's actually what I was picturing. It's like driving, like just cut to us in a car because you drove or whatever, and like it's just silence. But I'm still, you know, got dust coming off of me in the passenger seat.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that would happen.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: See, we're getting into like the limits of early aughts CG abilities, you know. Yeah, we just weren't quite there yet. I think I was thinking about how again, Planet of the Apes was this summer, right, the Tim Burton one, and how that ten years later, with the Rise of the Planet of the Apes, we had the digital the Andy Cirkus apes, right, and how at this point you still needed Rick Baker real effects to make you know, the CG just wasn't there yet. Yep. And it's weird because I knew even when I watched this movie, I was like, the CGI ain't ain't great.
Speaker 4: I was kind of wondering. I wish I could put myself back in two thousand and one. Right, So I'm sure some of it some of it looks okay, but.
Speaker 1: Some of it doesn't. Yeah, well, I distinctler. Well, obviously the Scorpion King, like everybody knows that, but like even even the Nubis soldiers and stuff, I was like, I don't know about that. And I didn't have that reaction to The Mummy the first film, yeah, which like watching now, you're like, well, you know, it's maybe a few renders away from where it needs to be. But at the time I was like, no, that looks pretty solid. So this it felt like they were ahead of their skis. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, somehow In the first one, I think the Emotep's face is in a sand storm or something, yeah, and I remember that looking like fine. But this one, when he's in the wave, I was like, oh, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: How did we go backwards? And I think it's just it's the same issue that we have today. Well, you know, you give these technicians enough time, they'll give you something special. Yeah. But I mean they were literally finishing up the effects the week of the premiere. Yeah, that's wild.
Speaker 4: And you know, and also this was the beginning of you know, I mean relatively speaking of CGI and new sorts of things, and maybe it's easier to create a face in sand particles and water had not been quite perfected yet.
Speaker 1: I mean maybe, but.
Speaker 4: Because I mean the Perfect Storm I remember was like a big leap forward for water.
Speaker 1: Yep, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: Like this is still kind of early playing with different elements and seeing what you can the element's period, just coming up with a fake water period, but then trying to manipulate the water to put some sort of fantastical face in it, and they just weren't quite there yet.
Speaker 1: Perfect Storm was the year before this, I think.
Speaker 4: Right, Okay, Yeah, if you watch that i LM documentary on Disney Plus, they talk about that and just the math of trying to create fake water. Yeah, it's highly recommend that. I don't remember exactly what it's called. It's the ILM. It's like a three episodes I think behind the scenes.
Speaker 1: About I don't know them, starting.
Speaker 4: With Star Wars all the way up to today, and it's really fascinating.
Speaker 1: So tell me you weren't partially expecting that falcon to end up served on a dinner plate like in the Legend of Zorro movie. Totally yeh found you Like, were you trying to send this message? Ah? Yeah, it's kind of disappointed we didn't get that, to be honest.
Speaker 4: See how this stuff, like, I know some of those things probably in the background aren't real or whatever, but like, I don't know, it's just like having the real shrubbery back there. I just feel like everything is so overtouched these days, yeah, that it just gives the illusion of just nothing feels quite right or real.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I think it is kind of the Marvel problem right where. You know, what the Marvel folks have realized is, in order to get these movies with these enormous casts, will you film wherever it's convenient for them, and then you just smush them together. Yeah, and then you fill it all in later. Yeah, And I think that can work up to a point, but you do start running into the limitation. Like remember a year ago we were talking about Captain America Civil War. How very obviously Scarlett Johansson was nowhere near anybody else.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right, right right, you know, yeah, Or it's like now because they can, they'll be like, we shot this scene to take place in the library, but we decided later we'd rather have it be on a basketball court. Yeah, So then they just change every element around the actors. And I just really do feel like you feel that by the way, this whole going across the moon thing in the dirigible or whatever. I was like, that's ridiculous, and I love it, you know what I mean, Like it's a fantasy. Yeah, it feels almost like fairy tale like and I kind of liked it.
Speaker 1: I don't know. Do you have feelings about that? Well, you can't help but think of Et and Elliott totally totally.
Speaker 4: Oh, by the way, there's this amazing line here. Yeah, that where he goes it is written. He's like, where is all this stuff written? I love that?
Speaker 1: It's so funny. Well, that's why you have a character like like Jonathan is to just kind of, you know, put to lampshade some of the silliness of this stuff. You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I mean we hear that in so many movies. You know it is written, and they're like, okay, you know, I believe you because you said it was written somewhere. It's like, where where is it written?
Speaker 1: And just the movie stops there, show me, show me where it's written. I got nowhere to be.
Speaker 4: That'd be like so family guy. And then you cut to them stopping their adventure and having to go to some special library and the books checked out. They're like, well, it's here. You can see it in the card catalog.
Speaker 1: But see, I like this this moment right here, just I want my son back. It's just a nice it's a nice moment, you know. Yeah, Yeah, make him feel like a fan family. It's it's it's tricky, right because you know, we have to feel their sense of peril because it's their child, and you know, one can imagine what they're going through. But yet, you know Alex he can't be helpless either, and so you know he's sort of plucky and so I mean there's sort of two masters that are being serviced there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I think it works. I think it's nice. I think it helps a lot. It kind of makes me think I wish we had seen a scene of them as a trio, yeah, you know, a family unit or something, because at the beginning, he like basically almost kills his parents, you know, through his tomfoolery in the caves, and then like when they're talking at the top of the stairs, he's just kind of messing around with the wrist.
Speaker 1: But he doesn't almost kill his parents. I mean, they're separately having their own tomfoolery. See this right there, this is the Bart Simpson moment. Yeah, yeah, yeah, are we there yet? Are we there yet? And then he puts the knife in the thing and he's like great, ay man, He's like I missed, I miss come on. It's funny.
Speaker 4: Like I can imagine a scene where he's doing something and like almost gets into trouble, but then like you know, Rick lifts him up and he's like hey, you know, like gotta be careful there, like and she's like, just like your father, Like we see them as like a unit or something. If we don't have that scene.
Speaker 1: Well, we see Alex with his dad, and we see Alex with his mom, and we see both of them have a fun relationship with him. I think that that does some of the work there. Yeah. Yeah, look at that Arnold voslu he's back baby.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh yeah wow. It's uh what do we like an hour in?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I don't. I don't know if this new new film is going to be im Hotep centric, but that would be a challenge to surmount because he's aged. Yeah, because you know, yeah, he's that you know, he's an old guy now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like he should just because he is like a preserved dead person. Yeah, he should look the same. It looked the same yeah, yeah, I don't know what you do. Come up with the line. It's like that thank you for smoking line, you know, like how do we have smoking in space? You know, I don't know, just have a line where he said, thank god they invented the you know whatever.
Speaker 1: The rejuvenation curse is exactly. It's like, oh, but he has to have the appearance of a man in his seventies.
Speaker 4: Or yeah yeah, or it's just he's not fully restored. There you go, like like the process is happening, but it gets interrupted and he's like partially there.
Speaker 1: Gross. I was about to say that's my option. I might just stay on the train. Yeah, toilet toilett so climb through a toilet hole.
Speaker 4: Yeah, toilet hole. That'd be a good band name.
Speaker 1: Toilet be a good pan. Was that the band that stopped the traffic? Yeah? Right, we are toilet hole. Thank you one to one, free.
Speaker 4: Way, two three, four, My love for you.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious.
Speaker 4: They're just not what you expect at all. That's cool looking. That was like guys on wires get Yeah, not that, but earlier it's scary, you know what I mean, Like when the physics feel real and something's being manipulated by a bad guy.
Speaker 1: It's scary. That's the thing, right, That's what so many movies forget about m m is just keep keep a semblance of reality, and that's just gonna work. Wonders for pulling us in, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I mean, I know the trade off is you get, you know, a knee that never works the same, you know, or whatever if your printed fraser. But later I was thinking, when you see him getting thrown around and spinning in the air and you're like, oh crap, that really is him. Yeah, and even this this looks cool the kid there, Like, now, again, I'm all for safety being first, but like, you get these digital doubles and they look pretty good. I gotta say, Actually, yeah, for the most part, sometimes I don't even realize it's a digital double, but there just really is something to be said about or at least getting a shot of them like rolling into frame or something, and the appearance like they're really involved in the action, and like, I don't know, I just I noticed it in this film and.
Speaker 1: I appreciated it. That's enough.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I'm sorry for the aches and the ad velvet for taking down. Yeah, but I appreciate you, well, you know.
Speaker 1: That that's been nice for you know, especially over the last few years. I'm Brandon Fraser has hopefully gotten to see how beloved he is totally.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I feel like when he was doing a press tour for I don't know if it was The Whale or I forgot what the last one was, but I feel like people were saying that and reading things to him, and there were clips that I saw where he was getting like emotional hearing how appreciated he is, and it's.
Speaker 1: He's he's a really like humble dude. That's you know, that's the sense that you get. I mean, I don't know if you remember when we were at the Hollywood Critics Awards a couple of years ago. Remember he was there, Yeah, oh yeah, and just I mean I didn't even go approach him, but I mean you just see the look on his face. It wasn't it was like like what am I doing here? Kind of thing, you know, which made me happy.
Speaker 4: I remember when he was in Killers of the Flower Moon Yep, I was like, dude, you're in a Scorsese movie, like he's my friend or something, you know, like, yeah, that's awesome.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so all bit here. How much you think this was, like, hey, we want to put Rachel bis in like a really skim be I mean, yeah, totally right. Yeah, all this reincarnation a go go is a little much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it feels like a few extra steps than we need. However, I gotta give credit where it's due. Apparently they really did train for all this stuff, and it does. It looks cool, like the fighting with size I mean even in the inter Turtles struggle to make fighting with sizes look good.
Speaker 1: You know, Now, I don't think that's really Rachel mccadams doing those summer songs or vice. Yeah no, or yeah, did I say Rachel mcaddams. Yeah, it's definitely not Rachel McAdams. I know that, as actually did.
Speaker 4: You won't believe this bit of trivia it is, But there's enough here of them twirling stuff around and whatever. It cuts well there.
Speaker 1: But it's this and then the final fight scene there's a little matrix sish stuff happening for sure, for sure where it's like where you watch it, you're like, oh, yes, as was the style at the time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was thinking that with Charlie's Angels right where there's just made no sense for them to be doing like Matrix like wire fou.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it's like, I don't know, we're really into that then, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't. I don't think these two like each other very much. Brian seems to me she doesn't like her future stepmom. Here.
Speaker 4: Yes, that's kind of strange. Actually, now I think about it, like the same age.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this is Pharaoh. I'm gonna say, you know, I don't know what the things were like in their time. I think maybe he had it coming.
Speaker 4: But now, isn't this touched on in the first movie?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is, so we we kind of do a little back to the future to.
Speaker 4: Action and literally had that thought. Yes, it's like we go back into the first movie. Yeah, but we're adding on to it right exactly. Mean Rachel Weiss wasn't fighting with size.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so like that that definitely did not happen to the person. Yeah, like we see, uh the scene where where em O tip and and and an Ox him and where they killed a pharaoh, but we we see it from her perspective right here.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, yes, which, by the way, the uh.
Speaker 1: What's her name?
Speaker 4: Not Anox suman Anna Moon?
Speaker 1: Damn it.
Speaker 4: I love this by the way, though, where the pharaoh comes in and she totally does the like, you know, like just standing with the statue kind of.
Speaker 1: Oh hey, I was expecting you.
Speaker 4: You don't talk about like, ye, it's hilarious. Wait here is just puts her arm on that statue and.
Speaker 1: They would have gone away with it, except that that m O Tep got a little handsy with her with her arm tattoo.
Speaker 4: Although I gotta be honest, if I walked in on her like that, I'd be too distracted to be thinking about michelse.
Speaker 1: Well, not pharaoh. That's that's why he's the pharaoh and you're not Brian. That's true. That's true. Although uh, if you were the pharaoh, you probably wouldn't be dead then. Yeah, to show so there is that whoops?
Speaker 4: So yeah, yeah. How is nepher Tierri's spirit? Like has she always been inside ev Like?
Speaker 1: Is it in her line or something? Or is in this movie? Was that soul put into her or something? Or what's the Well as I see it, m O Tep is doing his little ritual to put a Sunamon's soul back in this new body.
Speaker 4: Yes, is she in the line of this person? Because she looks exactly the same or is it just.
Speaker 1: Uh, you can't see me, but I'm doing the shrug emoji. Okay, Okay, that thing just now where she stabs herself and dies, yeah, is kind of hilarious. Dude.
Speaker 4: I thought about how everybody gives Marian Kotieri or k crap about her death scene and uh, Dark Knight rises yep, And I was like, nah, I think we have a new contender.
Speaker 1: We may so anyway, Uh, I see it as they're doing the ritual, and so because Rachel Vice is also Nepher Tieri, which was changed from Neffer TD by the way, which is hilarious because they were like, people are gonna laugh because of TD ha titty, Yeah, yeah that is which which on the one hand, you're like, God, that's stupid, but you're like, yeah, you know what, maybe that was probably the right instinct because yeah, maybe I don't know people being people, but so so as a result of the ritual, they're sort of re experiencing it. So so like Evy sort of gets caught up in it because I see that this is me. I'm just like I'm just brainstorming here. You know. Hopefully Stephen Summers is out there somewhere giving me a Miagi look, because I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's so funny our different takes on that because I'm just like like, oh, hug, it's like that when I picture his thing, But I I like giving him a more stoic take.
Speaker 1: That's funny. Camels watch out, they spit, they do.
Speaker 4: Just Yeah, have we ever done Aladdin?
Speaker 1: We have not done Aladdin amazingly enough, do we?
Speaker 4: We didn't get here yet, right, But I do love the whole conceit where he's leaving these little clue Yeah, it's clever, Yeah, little smart castles and stuff.
Speaker 1: It's a good idea. I mean, I find all of the scenes with mister Echo and the kid very funny. And I know I keep calling him mister Echo. I know that's not his name. Yeah, but no, I of course his name is extraordinary and I don't want to mispronounce it, So instead I will speak of his beloved character from Lost. Yeah, beloved question mark character from Lost?
Speaker 4: I think so, right, that's my memory.
Speaker 1: Was mister Echo beloved? I don't know. I thought so. He was one of the tailies, right, oh man? He was? Did people like the tailies?
Speaker 4: It's just like all a blur in my head now, But man, was I into that show?
Speaker 1: No, when it was on, I'd like to watch it. Sometimes I owe my Master's thesis to lust.
Speaker 4: Yeah that's right, dude. You know it'd be hilarious. I would have loved because he looks at the hourglass in the sand, and I'm just loving how not precise that would actually be. I think it would be funny if Emo tep he's the one who did it right, he started it. He had the mask on, so it'd be funny if he's like, now we must go, and then he knocks it over.
Speaker 1: I was like, who the like has to put it back up? You know what I mean. So it's like, hey, to be fair. I think when he I don't think he's like from now, Like when he flips it over, he's using it as a metaphor. I know. Just I don't know, because it's seven days from when he put the thing on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so just so the kid understands the passage of time.
Speaker 1: That's right, because kids don't.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, I the kid's fine.
Speaker 1: The kid's fine.
Speaker 4: Something something occurred to me watching him with mister Echo.
Speaker 1: I'm going to join you.
Speaker 4: I think he's a little cocky for me, sure, And I think short Round is confident, but he also experiences doubt and fear and all sorts of things that a person might. And I think if this kid did have maybe a few more moments of where are you mom, you know, or something like, it might might endear me to him a little bit more. But he's just always very cocky and and I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: I think you just don't like kids my temple. That's funny. See he keeps spotting the falcon.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah, And you're right, that would have been a good moment because they shoot it later, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah yeah, And he's like Horace. It'd be funny if they serve them chicken and he's like Horas. I'm just I think, just because we just saw that recently in Thatzro movie.
Speaker 4: That I feel like I watched something else recently where they did that and they fed someone a bird?
Speaker 1: Is that like a recurring? Is that a trope that I wasn't even aware of? Oh man, what was I'm not gonna remember what it was. But so you have not seen the third one? No, So, by the way, there is almost that you never felt that urge to see the Rachel Viceless Mummy movie. Right, and she's it's not like she's the character is gone, right, They just recast that character. Yeah, with somebody who no disrespect to Maria Bellow, who I think is a good actress. But god, could you have found somebody who looks less like Rachel Weiss? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like don't even feel like they're related.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so weird. Yeah, I've seen that movie just the one time. That was directed by Rob Cohen.
Speaker 4: Oh interesting, Okay, Yeah, I gotta admit. As I was watching this, I thought, oh, there's like another adventure with most of these characters, like that seems like something I could see one night being in the movie for But yeah, I just haven't seen it.
Speaker 1: I mean that, Yeah, I I've saw I've seen it one time back around when it came out, and I didn't see it in the theater. I saw it on cable. Uh. But that that's like Britton Fraser is doing a lot of lifting for that one. Sure, sure, sure, because I.
Speaker 4: Mean what's what? What what's different about it? Or what doesn't work as well? I mean what because it also didn't perform very well?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Uh, well, what's different? Is just about everything, right, I mean ev is different for one. Yeah, uh, it's it's no No m O tep so. So it's the Terracotta Warriors, and it's the it's the Dragon Emperor. Okay. Uh. Rob Cohen is not not a great director.
Speaker 4: I would say, did he do the first Fast and Furious?
Speaker 1: He did? Yeah, yeah, just a few weeks after this came out. Well, uh, it's just everything. Yeah, you know the Yeah, it's again. I I I suspect we will be watching it for you know, whenever, whenever the third, whenever the fourth one of these comes out.
Speaker 4: It's the path we've chosen.
Speaker 1: It is the path we're on. So so you know, I'll almost withhold my thoughts until it's fresher. But I I remember it not blowing me away. It's weird because because jet Lee is the the the heel, Michelle Yeoh is in it. I mean, it's got a good cast. Oh interesting, okay, Yeah, it's just kind of you know, at some point, I know there there is one scene where they the characters crash in the Himalayas and they have to they face off with Yeti's okay, and I'm like, no, don't right, that's that's my no no, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah, because it's just one bridge too far. See.
Speaker 4: Then I love it if they were saved by a snowman and like what do we call you?
Speaker 1: And he's like frosty, Like why not just go full myth that's the only thing missing and yeah yeah. At one point they're throwing something and you've got Yeti's doing like field goal signals.
Speaker 4: Oh really yeah, okay, so that's what we're doing.
Speaker 1: That's that. Yeah, So actually I want to revise what I did.
Speaker 4: So they the snowman he doesn't have a name because he doesn't have hees he's been separated from his people, he's never really interacted with someone, and he's just like, I don't have a name. And then they shake hands. He goes, oh that's a little frosty. And then someone goes, say that again, that's what we do credits. Yeah, thank you for letting me do that.
Speaker 1: I you know what, it wouldn't have been a commentary without it. I look at Arnold Bosley, who like performing the like swallowing the ship or whatever, yeah, and I'm like, did he feel weird doing all that? Yeah? Right, this is weird. That said I like this piece right here, he walks by the kid and he like tussles his hair. Yes, yes, And there you go. There's a nice moment for you when you were wanting. There you go.
Speaker 4: Finally he's been humbled. Now his parents are dead exactly.
Speaker 1: I like that whole bit where he's he seems genuinely scared and and and the mummy is such a piece of shit asshole that he just tussles his hair.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I just killed your parents, Pat, Pat Okay, Now, now look at the state of this airship. I didn't even think about it.
Speaker 1: There is there is no universe where he's able to pull a last minute safe.
Speaker 4: That is hilarious. I can't believe I didn't. I do remember getting up to make popcorn at one point. Maybe it was this point. That is really funny. They should have put more like, I don't know, you know, tournique sort of whatever you want. I don't know what you put on a ship that's busted, but like made it look way more cobbled back together at the.
Speaker 1: End, because literally you have o'connorall like, well is he if anybody can find hot air, it's you. And I'm like, okay, ha ha but no, seriously, doesn't he say something about its gas.
Speaker 4: It's not we're gonna we're gonna fill it up. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, there goes horace. Poor little bird. He's trying to help.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's just helping him out.
Speaker 1: He was helping our death. But look at look at the poor lady. He's so sad.
Speaker 4: I wish it had landed right in front of him.
Speaker 1: And it was like.
Speaker 4: And it just said, like its subtitles, I don't think I'm gonna make it, and it's just like, you know.
Speaker 1: He's just like, don't talk that way. Rest now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then yeah, and then it dies with its eyes open and he has to close his little eye bird eyelids.
Speaker 1: Just do it. We missed out. Oh, by the way, there's a wipe there.
Speaker 4: Sort of reminds me of Star Wars because most movies don't do that a lot. I saw a movie recently that I'm forgetting what it was, which is the trend in this commentary, and they did wipes and I was like, you know, I love it when I see them because I'm like, yeah, let's try that. Maybe we can bring that back. But I don't know that I would risk it if I was making a movie.
Speaker 1: Oh, you wouldn't put a star wipe a star.
Speaker 4: Wipe you know what I mean, Like, you know, wipe left to right or something like. Yeah, if you're making an adventure or a fantasy or something, there's something kind of fun and playful about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know that is true, don't. We don't see them as much. Yeah, So these pigmy mummies, if you think of them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what do I think of them?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I think you lift them out of the movie and you wouldn't miss it.
Speaker 1: That My thought was, it's weird because I start thinking like in terms of like so like just like there's like mummy cultures everywhere and they're all just all coming back to life everywhere. It's weird. But then you know it's clearly there's at least some like velociraptors in oh, the Lost World. That's that's what came to my mind.
Speaker 4: Now actually think about it, and I'm not accusing anyone of anything, but like you've you got those sort of t two moments earlier. I thought of that too, because you got the people walking through that tall grass basically being sucked down like the people, you know, the people in Lost World a lot of like feeling the influences.
Speaker 1: Maybe, well, I mean this this movie is such a pastiche right, yeah, the so it makes sense that it seems like Summers is is that type of filmmaker who just who wears those influences on a sleeve. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And by the way, most artists do, you know what I mean. So that's sure that and if you can take something that you've seen before and run with it and make it your own, I mean, hey, that's yeah, good artists do. So it's not an accusation, is what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, I mean look, look, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg were their inspirations in their sleep, so I mean.
Speaker 4: That's exactly exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: We talk about that a lot.
Speaker 4: But their inspirations didn't live on as long as their work has. So when people rip on Spielberg and Lucas, immediately you go, oh, I know what that is because we're still watching that stuff and they're still making sequels to that stuff. But the things that you know, Lucas and Spielberg watched, we don't generally tend to see as much, right, And so it's almost like they have reclaimed those things and made them they get associated with those true exactly.
Speaker 1: Well it's I mean, just a few weeks after this, we had The Fast and the Furious, which is a pretty transparent ripoff of Point Break. Yeah, right, right exactly. You know, but I suspect less people remember Point Break than are fully enveloped in the Fast and Furious franchise, you know.
Speaker 4: And there was a year where I was watching all the Simpsons or listening to all this's commentaries for every episode for like the first ten seasons, and I love it. They're amazing, and it was amazing to learn how many jokes they're like, oh, we got that from when I was a kid. I watched the show and the guy used to say that, and I'm like, oh, you didn't make that up, you know. Like it was illuminating, and also like kind of it gave me like relief to know that these people aren't supernatural comedic geniuses, you know what I mean. They're just learned how to take things that they remembered or were inspired by and put them into the Simpsons universe in a unique sort of way. And so it made it seem like, oh, that's it's possible to be that funny, right, what I mean, I don't know. I found it to be a cool thing instead of like a disappointment to learn that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean, look, it's it's all part of a lineage. M hm. That makes sense.
Speaker 4: But I also feel like with these Pigmy characters, they're not the technology isn't there, right, So that doesn't help on of everything else. You know, you just got these little cartoon characters just kind of like like the Critters you know what I mean, from the movie Critters in the eighties, Like just kind of running around just ahha, cackling a camera. I don't know, I wouldn't mind moving along.
Speaker 1: That's it's it's weird because the movie's over two hours. I think I think there's one sequence who could have done without.
Speaker 4: Yeah, although I do like the way this looks like, I like seeing them out there and all this real, you know.
Speaker 1: So as I was watching this, I was like, is this a sound stage or is this location? It could be either.
Speaker 4: Frankly, yeah, but I do like that I can tell that they're wandering through real stuff, right, and just seeing the light, like real light dancing off of all.
Speaker 1: These leaves just feels good. I was reading something too about how.
Speaker 4: Difficult it was with the torches because they only burned for about three minutes at a time.
Speaker 1: Oh. Interesting, And sometimes I think about that in movies.
Speaker 4: You know, you watch you know, Indiana Jones take a bone, right, you know, and they wrap like something around it, and then he's got like this torch.
Speaker 1: That's just like burning and forever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's just it's just funny to think in real life, like half the things we would love to try just would ever work.
Speaker 1: Well, if there's one thing that horror movies have taught me is never go like close to stuff. Oh yeah, yeah, yeah this, Yeah, what's that weird looking thing? Let me get closer. No, there's your first mistake. Yeah, it's a good get further away. Yeah, well, let me pull out my iPhone camera and do like the zoom in. That's how I'm gonna see what it looks like.
Speaker 4: That is hilarious. You know, I'm like of two minds. Actually, now, I do think the sequence is fun. I guess I just don't care for those creatures very much. And then when they come back later, it's just like an extra thing that maybe we didn't need. But but this this is fun. Seeing all those darts hit their chests and they fall over.
Speaker 1: That stuff is great. Yeah. Yeah, I didn't even make the critter's connection. That's that's good. That's kind of what.
Speaker 4: They look like, right, I mean they're like faster Gremlins or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they have that kind of comical Gremlins energy.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I do like that when they see Emo tap and like ooh sorry, you know back in a way.
Speaker 1: You don't mess with Demo tap. Yeah. Yeah, this is yeah, very very he lost world. This where they're getting pulled into the grass.
Speaker 4: Yeah that was That was so like Jurassic Park, right, like drag a guy off screen and then just see a bunch of bushes swaying. Yep, so you like know what's happening behind the bush?
Speaker 1: Say, they give Jonathan a little hero moment here, yes, where Yeah, he's not a stumbling dufist when it comes to firing. I do like that. That almost feels like a like a John Hannah note. Yeah yeah, yeah, give me, give me something, you know. Yeah yeah, so this this coming up. Yeah, So so the way the movie is situating it, it's like, oh, our death Bay and Lochnaw they have like this this age's old rivalry, which like I mean, I guess you know sure, right because because when when when our death Bay kills him, it's supposed to be it's like he has this look on his face like oh me, you know, and I was like, well, what what do you want us to feel? Like? You know what I mean? Like I feel like if he was and just through some some expo, like you know, we were like brothers, he was a madgi yeah, and he turned his back on the order like something like that.
Speaker 4: Right, I would lose this sequence happily to gain that moment. It's so odd, like make this moment mean something, yeah, or you know what I'm saying, like it, I know I'm saying this moment and that's where the moment happens. But like that thing between them, Yeah, I would give up any you know, special effects thing for three minutes to make this mean more.
Speaker 1: That's exactly it, because because the look on his face right right, it's kind of it's like supposed to be a thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and maybe it was. Maybe they deleted the scene right.
Speaker 1: Right there at look at a look on his face. Yeah right, yeah, that's odd anyway, those are like little things, right because it would have been very easy to just have a line of dialogue here there to add some weight to that.
Speaker 4: Completely agree.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: Actually it'd be kind of funny if they like made up in that moment and then Jonathan shoots him. He's like I got him.
Speaker 1: They like shake hands. Yeah, he's smiling, and then his head explodes like a balloon, yeah, all over him missed out. Yeah, that that what we just saw there where the little Pigmy guy comes right at the camera. That was in the trailer for sure.
Speaker 4: I remember that, sure, and it was probably a new sort of thing that we hadn't seen a lot at.
Speaker 1: This I think. I think the Pigmy Guy was also listed by name in the in the trailer and little Pigmy Man and the Rock as the Scorpion King. You know. That's right.
Speaker 4: Well, we've hadn't really talked about the Rock much. I think he is done, right, I mean, the rest of it is just.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was in like three minutes of just sort of doing the rock bottom and walking around in the desert.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but this was his first movie, right, I think, Yeah, that's right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he he did his whatever like two days. That's what Stephen Summer said. It was like two days because he it was like in between wrestling bouts, so he just showed up in Marrakesha where they were shooting and then you know Haku Machente and then you know they sent him. Yeah, and those rushes were enough for Universal to be like, hey, give this man his own movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny because I did not follow wrestling very much. Yeah, but I know that he I mean I knew who he was because he was that big popular of a figure.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, so yeah he he. I feel like he gained a new round of credibility when he hosted SNL mmmm because he you know, showed a lot of range. This is a funny moment right here when O'Connell throws the I do like this, Yeah, the dynamite stick like that. I like the the the profile shot we get. This is hilarious. Just all of them little guys just running across the log as it explodes. Very funny. So anyway, that was like two thousand, I think when when the Rock hosted SNL Okay, he gets this job again. They look at his rushes, They're like, give that man a spin off. And literally within a year of this movie coming out because April of two, the Scorpion King came out, wow, and the rest was history Wow April o two, right, and then the Rundown was three. I mean, you know, he came out the he came out the gate hot. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I remember the Rundown because I remember Sean really liked that movie a lot. Yeah, and so I think I watched it with him, and it was sort of like him doing like a real you know, acting role where it wasn't sort of like a novelty having this wrestlers show up as a villain for half that, right or something. And then real quick, real good, please.
Speaker 1: It's this bit where O'Connell is outracing the sun for it is ridiculous obviously.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine if the sun did move that fast?
Speaker 1: Right? Like it defies physics. But but I love this moment right here where he's like, it's not easy being a dad and his son's like, yeah, but you do it really good. Yeah, It's just it's just a nice moment. I don't know, like, I like that you have a father and son they're not at odds with each other. Yeah, sure, the son loves It's just a nice moment. Okay, yeah. And then I'll also say this piece coming up where where Ev gets stabbed. Yes, and and you know it's like you're like, okay, well obviously she's not really dead. Like I. You know, even when I watched this, I was like, well, there, this isn't that kind of you know, it ain't that kind of movie. You know, right, that's Mark Hamill his imitation of Harrison Ford, you know, right about Star Wars. But tell me if I'm wrong. Great performance by both them. Yeah, and it looks like she's dying. Brendan Fraser is awesome here.
Speaker 4: I love him tearing out of that you know place after her that and.
Speaker 1: Then just his his despair when it looks like she's dying. It's it's heartbreaking. I just love. I love the idea that this guy, this macho guy, and it's just you know, he's just his heart is tied up in how much he loves his wife. I don't know. I think it's great. Yeah, yeah, no, I agree. And I think it's a great performance by Brendan Fraser right here. I think both of them. I think that's just Yeah.
Speaker 4: I do remember this standing out to me last night, because you know, this movie is it's fun. You know, it's a romp and this felt so sincere, right, yeah, it really does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And again, like it's almost like it's so sincere you don't want them to undo it, you know, yeah, sure, sure, you know what I mean. But it's like, again, that's that's the movie, you know. You know, well, it's not gonna end that way. But I think it's a great performance regardless, and it goes.
Speaker 4: A long way in making us understand how much they.
Speaker 1: Love each other. I totally agree with that. But yeah, sorry, we were talking about the rock No, no, no, it's just well.
Speaker 4: And then I thought it was interesting because he did the Rundown thing, and you know there's that scene where Schwartznigger's in there, right yeah, basically like hands off the action hero mantle to him says something like.
Speaker 1: That fun or something.
Speaker 4: But then I remember he did Southland Tails.
Speaker 1: And I remember be cool.
Speaker 4: Yeah, like he right out of the gate didn't put himself in one lane. I think that was what he suffered from a little bit after that, where he was just kind of kept playing the same character over the same guy. But right out of the gate, it's kind of bold and fascinating that he experimented a lot, and maybe even in movies that you would think the audience who would follow him might not might not be their bag, you know.
Speaker 1: So it loved that he pushed himself a lot in those early you know, I saw the trailer for Coyote versus z Acme, which I don't know, did you see that? I did? And you know, you got John Cena playing a lawyer, right, and I'm like, oh, that's novel, you know, sure, And you know, partly it's because John Cena is sort of I feel like Sena and maybe to a lesser extent, Dave Batista have like looked at the Duyne Johnson arc and and been like, Okay, what can we learn from this? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Well again, I mean at the beginning, Dwayne Johnson was willing to play silly characters, or rather of his characters, and then it feels like, for some reason later he got it in his head that he always had to win every.
Speaker 1: Fight, and I think he just got invested in his brand, whatever that is, you know. Yeah, yeah, the perception, you know, and you know the problem there is eventually it gets played out. Yeah, yeah, if people see you don't have any other notes to play then then they move on right, like like Schwarzenegger handing it off. But you know this movie came out what was it September October three at the Rundown? I mean Schwarzenegger did Terminator three, that that earlier that year, right, and really that T three is arguably like the final Schwarzenegger movie of the of his peak era. Sure, so it's the timing is entirely apropos but yeah, yeah, right, so it's like he does his final action movie, then becomes governor. He became governor and O three, I'm pretty sure hands hands the ball to Duwayn Johnson. It took Dwyne Johnson a couple of years to figure out what his movie star a persona was, but he got locked into that. Yeah, and then he got stuck. Yeah, then got stuck. But yeah, what do you do the thing this last year? Oh? The machine? Right? The what is the smashing machine? Smashing machine? Yeah, which did too? We are two old men? Can I just say that? Dude?
Speaker 4: I was like, I can't believe I don't even remember the title. I'm getting bad with titles. But which is funny because that used to be our strength. I know, there's just too much stuff up there anyway. But he was very very good in that. I mean that movie didn't land or hit. I think the way that they had hoped for him, you know, thought it'd be like an Awards contender kind of thing.
Speaker 1: He is really good in it.
Speaker 4: He's playing a character, he's doing something different, and so it was nice to see him stretching again.
Speaker 1: Well and just as much as the film. His performance while promoting the movie with his with his glass on his nose, his fingers steepled.
Speaker 4: Yes, I know. I for some reason that has just become like a thing in our minds. And I saw him. I think it was like Emily Blunt's Walk of Fame ceremony, and he had like the glasses on. It's like, oh, it's glasses, rock classes rock. See this stupid idiot he sticks his hand in the thing. Dude, don't stick your hand in the thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Never, never, Like it's like he's never seen a horror movie. You know.
Speaker 4: Where I learned that, The Ewalk Adventure.
Speaker 1: Exactly there you go.
Speaker 4: The boy sticks the hand in the hole in the tree, and I never forgot it.
Speaker 1: That's what we learned from Mace.
Speaker 4: Yeah, holy crab.
Speaker 1: Nice Mace and Sindele.
Speaker 4: Yes, wow, okay, okay, you know what, whatever titles you have forgotten, you're forgiven for remembering that.
Speaker 1: I think I'm realizing there's like a cut off date. Oh yeah, yeah yeah, anything passed like ten years ago is gonna be a push. That's amazing. So John Hannah, I don't know if you remember this, In the very first episode of the Last of Us television show, he's the he's the like it starts with like a a TV broadcast from like the seventies, and he's the professor. He's like, oh, yeah, you know, the the fun guy can metamorphos or whatever. I don't know what he says, but like that it's him. I was like, hey, it's it's Jonathan.
Speaker 4: I remember that moment, but I forgot that it was him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow. He's also in Sliding Doors. That's I think what most American audiences not.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a movie where it's become you know, like it's like people know the concept more than the movie. Yeah, and that phrase, I mean, is that where it comes from literally that film when people say that sliding doors, Yeah, yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's sort of like h groundhog Day.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly right, exactly.
Speaker 1: How like the movie changed what that phrase means. M m m m right. If you say it feels like groundhog Day, you're not like, oh, it feels like winter and we don't know if we're gonna have six more weeks. Yeah, it's no, it feels like we're just living the same day a getting. That's an nice thing right here. I love this.
Speaker 4: That's great, that's great, very stylish.
Speaker 1: The flicker.
Speaker 4: I realized, like we're seeing all this stuff on it on the screen here, but.
Speaker 1: Oh, you gotta subscribe on Patreon watch and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but basically Fraser's entering like a big I don't know, throne room or something, and like it's a close up on his face and the flames, you know, they're flickering on him, and when it goes dark you can't see anything, so his face is just sort of like light on his flate. I'm not describing it as well.
Speaker 1: It was really cool. You should watch it. It looked neat. Yeah, there you go.
Speaker 4: I can tell him like slowing down.
Speaker 1: So well, two things. Number one, you have this this speed ramping during this fight, Yeah, which looks cool, no doubt. Yeah, But also it feels like weirdly out of step with the with the style of the movie. Am I wrong? Is that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's like a weird stutter sort of thing moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I didn't understand because you would think if that was happening, we're supposed to understand something is happening in that moment, right, But to your point.
Speaker 1: They don't do it anywhere else. It's just matrix inspired.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a good I didn't even I clocked it, but I didn't understand why it was there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's the new Yeah, new technique was the.
Speaker 4: Style at the time exactly. But there's a great I imagine he's on wires, a great shot in slow o where he's like spinning in the air. Yeah, and you could see it's his face, and I was like, wow, like this kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: Is that what you're saying? No, well, they're even more. I mean you see the speed ramping where it slows down and then speeds up. Mmm. Yeah, I remember seeing it, and and you know, I mentioned I went and saw this with my friend Javier at the at the videography studio, and he's like he used to edit like the the highlight tapes. He's like I'm going to try to do that that speed up, slow down stuff m hmm, into like wedding videos. I need you did a good job with it. He figure that. So this is back when you would like be key framing things and it's a whole different thing, you know. Yeah, that's funny. See these Annubis soldiers look kind of goofy.
Speaker 4: I don't know, it's funny some shots I feel like they look better than others, like they're actually, yeah, this looks a little goofy.
Speaker 1: Like when it was the.
Speaker 4: Wide shots, I was actually thinking, oh, wow, this is that's kind of impressive. But I guess when you get close to them and then when they start fighting them and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that when it comes to use of CGI, right, it's like too often it's oh, CGI allows us to create something that couldn't exist, And I think that's the mistake because if it couldn't exist, we sort of we recognize that and yeah, at a distance, you know what I mean. Yeah, so it should be done to allow you more more flexibility, but it should still be something that could conceivably believably be here. Yeah, no, I agree, you know, it's it's sort of like an interstellar you had tars and and you know, the robots and Christopher like that could very easily have been CG. But Nolan was like, no, let's let's figure out a way to do it practically. Mm hmm. And there's just like one level of disbelief that we're able to get right past.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and for all we know, there could be a number of shots where maybe it is exactly CG.
Speaker 1: But because he's.
Speaker 4: Established so many that we've seen that we know really happened, and McConaughey really touched it, you know, right, then we don't pay attention to that any longer.
Speaker 1: That's the thing, right, So I think what I see here, Like these things, these these Anubis soldiers look very silly when contrasted with our armies of of Medgai. Yeah, it looks kind of goofy, you know, like the way they just turn into a big thing of ash and then that ash disappears. I'm like, but that's not doesn't happen that way? Yeah, look at the speed ramping here. I don't even miss tell that much. I just remember a weird, stuttering looking shot. We'll see it in a second, I think, come on.
Speaker 4: I do like that moment when a hero and a villain are fighting and then like a bigger threat appears to both of them and they have this moment where it's like, well, they have to put on their conflict. That's right, that doesn't look terrible. That's sand explosion stuff.
Speaker 1: No, but I'm thinking of the shot near the end where the whole horde just kind of disc.
Speaker 4: That shot is I remember that shot specifically because it doesn't look like that sand, that black sand element is actually in the environment.
Speaker 1: It looks like it's on top of the frame exactly. Yeah, it just they weren't there yet, so and maybe it was just lack of time. I don't know. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Ah, she gets to use her her skill set that somehow she's been imbued with.
Speaker 1: Yeah, hurt effertiery powers.
Speaker 4: Yeah, see that, it's always like kind of it's always a bigger fish.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe we need to see now now again. Obviously these effects are famously awful, But but you wonder what what would have prevented them from just getting Dwayne Johnson's top half and then compositing that into an effect like why would you think that you were able to pull this off?
Speaker 4: See this this wide shot? Then maybe you do the CGI guy. But then yeah, you get these close ups of him or something, you try to like mix. I mean that's why he famously Jurassic Park holds up so well because it's a combination, right, because he's got.
Speaker 1: The he's got the dead eyes. Yes, the eyes are just they're like a doll's eyes.
Speaker 4: See here, use use the rock here in this shot, right, and and you can add your CG extensions and things. But then when you do the wide and he's doing flips, are crawling up a wall.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking of technology at the time, and I'm like that would have been perfectly fine, you know, a cromulent one might say, So it's weird, like were they just just like getting cocky like oh we got this.
Speaker 4: I don't know, or maybe they didn't have access to the rock.
Speaker 1: That's weird too, because it's like, well, universal, you don't sign him to a contract that allows for you know, reshoots.
Speaker 4: Yeah, or maybe that's the thing they're like, oh no, no, we got this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, three days in and out, you're good. Yeah. Yeah, Now you have not seen Scorpion King. No, no, okay, you yeah, I saw it. I saw it Opening Night actually with Sean at remember in Chicago that it was that theater. It's like four Rivers or something like that.
Speaker 4: I remember the name.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's it's near where a zero Gravity used to be.
Speaker 4: You remember zero Gravity.
Speaker 1: Are Chicago Land listeners are nodding their heads while everyone else is like the ho these guys talking about anyway, it's like kind of near there. So we went and saw it there. Yeah, And so twenty four years ago this last time I saw the Scorpion King.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, is any good? I mean even on like sort of like a B movie level.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, you know, yeah, it's it's like, uh, it's paste and produced like a Hercules Legendary Journeys episode. I gotcha, gotcha. But Dwayne Johnson is more charming than Kevin Sorbo. M sure this where that guy's like helped me and mo Tip is such a rat bastard. He's like why, Yeah, what's weird though?
Speaker 4: The way that he performs that, Yeah, he almost just seems like genuinely confounded why the person would ask him.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I kind of liked that, to be honest.
Speaker 4: Oh that's kind of funny. I was gonna say, it seems like you'd be a little more sinister or something.
Speaker 1: No, I like, he's like, okay, why yeah?
Speaker 4: Or is there even that? Like he genuinely is just like why well.
Speaker 1: I kind of like I like that this, this fricking guy thinks he's on the same level as my man m O Tep. Yeah yeah yeah yeah, and m O Tep don't share power with anybody.
Speaker 4: Bro.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I.
Speaker 4: Sorry, I'm sorry to cut you off. That was that weird stutter thing, and I was like, why did they do that?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Here, yeah, it just happened. Yeah, but it didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it wasn't.
Speaker 4: In service of anything like story or or I wonder.
Speaker 1: If it was like a post production like covering up a screw up type thing.
Speaker 4: Like someone elbowed the keyboard, like some few Frameston didn't realize it and they're like, oh, shoot, we already printed in the film.
Speaker 1: Something like that. Now this here, this little comic strip that Rick O'Connell discovers with the I'm like, I wanted to keep. I wanted like four more panels, yes, because it's like you then they opened the thing and it goes like this, and then you throw the thing and then it goes you know, and then it kills the scorping, and I'm like, we need one more where the Scorpion King is on the ground and there's like ex's for his eyes and like the Medgi guys like jumping up and down in triumph, right right, you know, we could keep going. We can get like several more frames of it. That would be hilarious.
Speaker 4: And I'm like them on the plane with his family flying home, you know, over.
Speaker 1: The gravesite of the Scorpion King with with the scepter. I mean, because I'm like, Rick O'Connell's not an idiot, Like, I think we could have gotten him there with that with like half the frames, you know, totally.
Speaker 4: I think that was I read somewhere Even in the director's commentary, Stephen Summers said that the stone carving directions of how to kill the Scorpion King with the sceptor was ridiculous.
Speaker 1: It feels like a studio note that went too far.
Speaker 4: Although there's a moment where Eve says something like, yeah, you got to put the spirit through the guy and it'll stop the army, and that you like, she explains everything, and honestly I was like, yeah, no, thank you. I think I knew that got it.
Speaker 1: We figured it out, Yeah, well she doesn't know. She just woke up from being dead, so maybe she doesn't know what. She doesn't know what Rick is caught up on.
Speaker 4: No, I'm saying I'll put myself on blast here. I was like, yeah, thank you for the reminder. I don't I don't remember what's at stake care Like, I just.
Speaker 1: We really do need this. This is anticipating the Netflix era of people. Yes, exactly.
Speaker 4: I mean that's the thing. Sometimes you don't need it and it's insulting, and sometimes.
Speaker 1: It's okay to have a little bit of a recap. I think that's truly well, it's it's like the example you always use of in the Dark Knight Rises, you know, oh, the program with the thing that erases your identity, that thing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, right right, it's my favorite example of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah no, no, we got it.
Speaker 4: Yeah ah oh good thing they had that pointed away from them.
Speaker 1: It reminds me of in that vein. You know, Mulaney has that thing about about watching a special Victims Unit where Ice cubes character like they some character is like a pedophile and he's like, so you're telling me that this guy looks at pictures of kids and gets off right right right. Melandy's like, yeah, no, that's yeah, it's pedophlex what it is? Yeah, we got it. See this right here the speed ramping, yeah yeah, yeah right, it slows down and then we get like hyper speeded up, and but they do that throughout the fight.
Speaker 4: When I associate that stuff with like Zack Snyder, oh yeah, I mean I know, I'm sure it happened before then, but like when.
Speaker 1: Was three X Snyder took it into overdrive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would say for that effect.
Speaker 1: Or whatever, he kind of perfected it really Snyder. Yeah, oh yeah, it's total. This is sparta.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now here's my question. Those like dudes that are like in the ground there, those are all yeah right, like they're like I don't know what, what.
Speaker 4: Are they souls in hell or something?
Speaker 1: So I'm just like, what are they doing when the scorpion Kings NodD are like right now, they're like all riled up? Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah. But otherwise is it just like a really crowded night at the club.
Speaker 4: Right right, but you can never get the bartender's attention exactly. Hell, but see this, like that effect looks very much like just kind of slept on top.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it has no bearing on them, you know. Yeah, yeah, my man are at bay he got this.
Speaker 4: So this was two thousand and one. They were able to do whatever they were able to do. But I was thinking this moment reminded me so much of the end of Crystal Skull. Oh yeah, you know, where like the landscape is well, I guess I'm getting ahead of myself, but like sort of swirling and you know, coming apart. And for as much as I complain about that movie, I mean that effect looks incredible.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, well that shot of like Indie in the corner of the frame and as you see the whole that's incredible.
Speaker 4: And you really I mean you know it's not real because whatever your brain, but like it looks really really good and him Yeah, just like it's like the camera can barely keep Indian frame as it's trying to capture the action, and that does such a great job of making you feel the scope.
Speaker 1: You know, Yeah, we don't really get that sense here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this feels like an early attempt at that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: There's just too much a cgi flimflam. Yeah, you know. Now, now this piece here I really like where Rick tells ev hey get out of here, and she's like, no, I'm gonna get you. Meanwhile, m O Tip is like hey, come help me, and she's like peace out.
Speaker 4: I do love that where they just kind of look at him, because I wonder sometimes you have this instinct where it's like, well, even if you're the hero or you know that's the villain.
Speaker 1: You like kind of extend your hand.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I was like, no, all the things he's done, like yeah, why would you let him back out?
Speaker 1: I agree? This stuff looks great though, this all stuff I like, yeah, yeah, see that's how much she loves that. She loves Rick. She runs across a collapsing thing to get him. Look at my man, tep.
Speaker 4: Oh, this is kind of strangely. I felt bad for him right that, the love of his life, he's like, he's like watching, like we get these shots of him observing this other loving couple helping each other. I know that he turns and looks at his the love of his life.
Speaker 1: Is so he's got tears in his eyes. I know. It's kind of said he just wanted companionship while he condemned the earth to colonels servitude under his boot heel.
Speaker 4: And murdered to be with her, and.
Speaker 1: And weirdly, like when when an Oxuna Moon gets swallowed up by the scorpions, there's a little party that's like yeah, good, yeah, but not for all the other horrible shit just because she abandoned Amo tep right, right, It's weird.
Speaker 4: This did remind me, speaking of Crystal Skull, of that oh yeah dance yep. I think this looks pretty good though, for you know, relatively for the era. Yeah, and in this film compared to I mean, we.
Speaker 1: Forget that the Third Mummy movie came out the same summer as Crystal Skull. Yeah, I remember. I remember that. I remember seeing the trailer for it in front of Crystal Skull. Oh really yeah, okay, yeah, because I obviously after that movie ended and we all had our you know process, you know, yeah, our moment. Yeah, I remember having that thought like does the Third Mummy movie look better than the fourth Indiana Jones movie? And in fact it didn't, so yeah, water found its level there too. But I remember having that thought, yeah, see this this all it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, and it just feels like just too much. I think the idea here is like, oh, it just goes back from whence it came, since the oasis sprang up because of the Scorpion Kings deal with Anubis. So of course now that the Scorpion King is dead, but like, I don't know if you followed, but you know Rick kills the Scorpion King, and so because he kills the Scorpion King, you know, the army is his to commands, and he says, go back to Hell and take your friends with you. And that's why the army all disappears. But there's just so much going it's like too much. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I do remember thinking I need to look this stuff up because I was like confused, why Emotep when he was going to spear the guy? I was like, wait, so why is that bad? I assume that gives him some power or something.
Speaker 1: Whoever kills him commands his army. Yeah, which again this goes to what I said before when we did our commentary for the first one, and we have the prologue showing what happens to m o Tep and you've got you know, our death bay is narration, Like, oh, but if he was ever brought back to life, then he would have power over all the elements and he would you know, the you know, the the invincibility and everything, like just this litany of horrible things.
Speaker 4: Right, he could do a mile in under four minutes.
Speaker 1: I basically, And I'm like, why don't you guys just kill him? Then? Like why maybe don't mum ify him alive? I remember that? Yeah, yeah, yeah right, and so kind of the same thing with the Scorpion King, like like the whole notion of like why does he come back exactly? And what you know, and then the whole movie is like leading up to, Oh, when the Scorpion comes back, it is gonna be all kinds of hell to pay. I don't know, he goes out pretty easy, yeah, Like granted I wasn't getting tossed around by bym O tep and the lead up, but it seems like he goes down like a punk. That's me, Yeah, that's me. So again, where did he How did he fill this thing up? Yeah?
Speaker 4: It doesn't even look well, yeah filled it up? And then even just how did he how many nails did he have to put?
Speaker 1: That looks fine? Yeah? Yeah, that's so funny.
Speaker 4: By the way, have we talked about the fact that there was an animated TV series based on.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we we mentioned at least in the first commentary.
Speaker 4: We mentioned it briefly, Okay, because I guess this, you know, dirigible or whatever is something to use in it, and so that led me down the path of the animated series. And basically the characters don't look like the actors because they didn't want to pay for their likenesses.
Speaker 1: Yeah, rick O'Connell is blonde, Evelyn is a redhead. Yeah, alex is American for some reason. M and it basically does its own like it. It creates a new backstory form o tep.
Speaker 4: Yes, because no adultery exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's like, oh, he tried to steal these scrolls and then you know or whatever, and he was mommified. And John Schneider is the voice of Rick O'Connell. Oh yeah, Gray Delisle who is Daphne, and the she's the current voice of Afne. She's Evelyn. Ok yeah, and I don't know voiced Jmo Tipmotep speaks English. I know that. And it's just like, yeah, it lasted like two seasons actually, which is more than I would have expected.
Speaker 4: Yeah, saw Tom Kinney was in it, Yes.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah, so here we go. Mummy returns.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, just last little bit of trivia had jotted down. So when it came out on DVD and VHS.
Speaker 1: Best selling DVD of all time.
Speaker 4: Of all time, two million copies sold in its first week.
Speaker 1: And and then like two weeks later, the Phantom Menace came out on DVD. That's right, and that took care of that.
Speaker 4: But it sold two point two million copies in its first week. So not by a ton I mean that is like equal footing there.
Speaker 1: That's incredible. Yeah, this this, it's it outsold the Matrix, It outsold Gladiator, yeah, which is really nuts. I mean that certainly it tells you two things. First of all, how much primacy DVD had in people's lives. Oh man, yeah, right, like people. I don't think people in twenty twenty six can fully understand that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, how different it was before that and after and after. Yeah, it was a moment.
Speaker 1: It was a moment where people everybody would would buy movies.
Speaker 4: And not just like cinophiles, right exactly.
Speaker 1: You know if you were at Walmart, oh, here's DVD, let's get it, so you know, so you had the primacy of that format. But also, I mean this movie was kind of a phenomenon, you know, it was whatever gamble they thought the first one might have been, this one bore out, you know, the confidence they had, which makes it even more baffling that they waited seven years to do the next one. Mm. Yeah, yeah, that's a good point, right, Like you think they would have struck. I'm not saying you needed to crank out three more of these in that time, but at least one, maybe two more. Yeah, you know, I'm sure, I'm sure. I'm sure Brandon Fraser would have liked that. But I also suspect that part of the slowdown was because his career hit a bit of a rough patch, you know, doing stuff like Monkey Bone and whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, I haven't got it. I've never seen that movie. Yeah, I mean I haven't seen it either, but I.
Speaker 4: Kind of want to, right just to see what a like a weird curiosity it is.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, but uh also also weird. Uh No, no mid credits scene as we're conditioned to expect. Yeah, that's funny, after the title sequence and before the scroll. That's a really good point. There's no like Jonathan dusting off his jeans be like here it is, you know, like yeah, yeah, exactly. Well, here we go some mommy returns. What do you think, Brian, You know, I.
Speaker 4: Just didn't get endeared to these at the right moment. Yeah, so I almost feel more like an observer with these films. I like the first one. I think the first one is a lot of fun. Like we were saying, it's a little more tactile. It feels a little bit more grounded, as fantastical as it is, and this one feels a bit like it drowns in its spectacle a bit. So I think it's fun to watch as it for me as an artifact from two thousand and one. It's fun to see, you know, the actors and the characters and stuff. But I just don't feel as much for it. Yeah, as I do, I don't enjoy it as much as the first one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, I'm with you. I think of the Mummy trilogy up up to this point as one and a half good movies out of three.
Speaker 4: That's yeah. I mean I haven't seen a third one, but I bet I agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, it's like, I think there's enough in this that I like to give it like a half score, but I just think it's just too much of everything. And I think too much of everything becomes numbing. Numbing exactly. It's just overwhelming. And it's you know, I think going smaller is better, but that wasn't the agenda, you know. I think Steven Summers went into this being like just bigger, bigger, louder, and well he certainly got that. Now I should say this, this song that's playing over these credits by Live, it's a pretty good song. Oh Forever may not be long enough.
Speaker 4: I I think I turned it off at this point. Now I'm kind of curious a lot. It's that's interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a nice song, but it is weird in this.
Speaker 4: Movie, you know, Yeah, right right right.
Speaker 1: But I will say again, I think it has a terrific soundtrack. I listened to this album quite a bit. I think it's Sevestry. I love sevest Yeah, it's great. And and unlike with Jerry Goldsmith, Stephen Summers ended up really catching on with with his relationship with Aln Sylvestry because Silvestrie did he did Van Helsing and he did G I Joe and and say with You about those movies both have great scores, you know, So there we go. Hey, but hey, let us know your thoughts about the Bummy returns, or let us know your thoughts about our thoughts. You can I know, I know these movies have lots of fans. I'm certainly looking forward to hearing what you have to say. You can email us at Moviefilm Podcast at gmail dot com. You can also hit like on our Facebook page Facebook dot com slash movie Film Podcast and message us there. As always, please go to Apple Podcasts and leave review, leave a star rating. Every little bit helps, And if you're listening to this on YouTube, please hit like, hit subscribe, and leave comments because we do read those on the show. We also have a Patreon page, Brian Yes.
Speaker 4: If you head over to Patreon dot com slash Moviefilm Podcast and hit subscribe for only five dollars a month, you find every commentary we've ever done and every episode moving forward absolutely ad free. We also drop bonus conversations as we mentioned earlier, that go over there about twice a month. Our free feed will always be available, but this is our way of providing what we believe is the most satisfying way to enjoy the show.
Speaker 1: So no ads or interruptions, butting in.
Speaker 4: Like we said, you're trying to watch along, you don't want to get an ad for mail Chimp or something interrupting the Mummy action. Plus, your subscription goes a long way and helping to support us and helping to sustain producing the show. So if you're interested in able, please head over to patreon dot com slash Movie Film Podcast and subscribe.
Speaker 1: We'd be very grateful and with that on behalf of my partner Brian Hall. My name is Zachi Hassan. This has been our commentary track for The Mummy returns. We'll catch you next time. Thanks everybody,