Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive, your shortcut to being genuinely well informed. Today, we're tackling, well, a pretty big truth for leaders like you. Digital transformation brings amazing opportunities, sure, but it's also blowing the doors wide open on the fret landscape. The game has definitely changed.
Speaker 2: It really has.
Speaker 1: So this deep dive it's all about getting a handle on today's cybersecurity challenges and the strategic shifts you really need to make. Our source is framed security not just as a tech problem, right, but as this interwoven challenge people processes technology. It's all connected, exactly.
Speaker 2: It's a much more holistic view than maybe we had, say five or ten years ago.
Speaker 1: Our mission today is basically to give you that shortcut. We wanted distill the critical stuff, offer sharp insights, practical strategies, you know, cut through the noise, so you can navigate this cyber world with more confidence.
Speaker 2: Sounds good. Where should we start.
Speaker 1: Let's kick off with the human factor because our sources really emphasize that people are fundamentally at the core of cyber resilience.
Speaker 2: Yeah, makes sense, and it starts right at the top with the CISO, the Chief Information Security officer. That role has shifted dramatically. How so, Well, it's not just the traditional duties anymore, like you know, patch management or incident response. Those are still vital, of course, but now it includes really complex supply chain risks, this tangled web of privacy regulations, new tech like five G. It's much broader.
Speaker 1: And when I found really surprising actually from our sources, it's what they say are the most important skills. Now it's less about having the deepest, most current technical knowledge and more about well soft skills.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, communication is key, right.
Speaker 1: Being able to talk about risk in business terms, acting as a quote business enabler. I really like the analogy one source used, the CISO is becoming the CFO of cybersecurity.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it, translating the tech stuff into financial impact into risk appetite for the board.
Speaker 1: Speaking their language essentially precisely.
Speaker 2: Your success, especially with senior leaders, really hinges on framing these issues as business risks, not just it problems. And the pressure, Wow, it's immense. You mean the turnover eight Yeah, the turnover is incredibly high. Average tenure is just twenty six months. And get this, ninety five percent of CSO's work on average ten hours more per week than they're contracted for.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's unsustainable, it.
Speaker 2: Really is, and it signals that something fundamental needs to change. You know, it's not just about working harder or longer hours.
Speaker 1: That kind of pressure makes it crystal clear though, that security can't just rest on one person's shoulders. Our sources really hammer this home. Everyone in the organization needs to be security minded.
Speaker 2: From the loading dock, like you said earlier, right up to the c suite. A well trained staff they can be your absolute best defense.
Speaker 1: But they can also be the weakest link they don't follow the right practices or if they get tricked.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and corporate boards they are paying very close attention now they understand cyber risk isn't just some siloed I tea issue. It's a fundamental threat to the entire business.
Speaker 1: Because it can lead to what data exposure, regulatory fines.
Speaker 2: Lost revenue, huge reputational damage, lawsuits, and in some cases like manufacturing or utilities, even physical harm or worse. It's serious business.
Speaker 1: So the key then is embedding security throughout the organization, like making it part of the DNA.
Speaker 2: That's the goal. It needs to be baked into vendor selection, how you onboard employees, even how you develop products, and security awareness training can't be a one off thing. It has to be continuous, constantly updated to match the latest threats.
Speaker 1: It's about shifting that perception too, moving from being the department of no.
Speaker 2: To the department of NO. I like that framing, helping the business move forward but securely. The analogy was like helping them drive their car fast, but with the brakes, airbags and seat belts securely in.
Speaker 1: Place, enabling secure progress. Okay, but there's another big people issue, right the skills gap.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's massive, a huge challenge. The globe doble shortage is estimated at what three point five million cybersecurity.
Speaker 1: Workers three and a half million.
Speaker 2: That's staggering and it has real consequences. Our sources link this gap directly to breaches. Nearly three quarters of organizations said they experienced a breach in the last year, partly because they just didn't have the people.
Speaker 1: And it's not just about the sheer number of people, is it. There's a diversity issue too.
Speaker 2: A significant one. Yes, women make up only about twenty four percent of the cyber workforce, even though are half the population. Minorities are also underrepresented around twenty six percent.
Speaker 1: And the sources argue this isn't just about fairness or optics, right, yeah, it actually impacts security effectiveness.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. Diverse teams are proven to reduce groupthink, they bring different perspectives, uncover more creative solutions. There is even data showing female CISOs scoring higher than male counterparts in leadership and analytical skills. It's a tangible benefit, so it.
Speaker 1: Drives better outcomes. Okay, so what there solutions? Then? How do we start closing these gaps?
Speaker 2: Well, it's got a multi pronged look. Beyond traditional IT backgrounds for recruitment, integrate IT and security teams more, maybe through cross training, foster a really inclusive culture, and boost the visibility and influence of the CISOL role itself to attract more diverse talent.
Speaker 1: It feels like a smart investment too when you put it in financial terms, like preventing just one average data breach, what was the figure three point eighty six million dollars they could easily pay for a whole team of cyber pros exactly.
Speaker 2: It really highlights the ROI of building a strong diverse security workforce.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've covered the people element. Now let's pivot. Let's dive into the threat landscape itself. Who are the adversaries and what's their playbook look like?
Speaker 2: Right, it's a complex picture. You've got malicious outsiders but also insider threats. Let's start with the outsiders. Nation States are a major player. They're usually well funded, very sophisticated. Their motives often political, economic, or national security like espionage. Espionage definitely think of the op or degrading an adversaries capabilities like targeting power grids. Sometimes it's even personal revenge rumber Iran's attack on the Sans Casino or North Korea hitting Sony over that movie the interview Wow.
Speaker 1: And seeking economic advantage to isom huge driver.
Speaker 2: China's alleged theft of billions in trade secrets as a prime example. We're building back doors into products. It's asymmetric power projection as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Nation States, Yeah, then there are the cyber criminals.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and forget the stereotype of a loan hacker in a basement. This is a sophisticated industry. Now, these groups often look like legitimate companies. They have R and D departments, help desks, even money back guarantees on their malware.
Speaker 1: That's wild, and the lines are blurring, aren't they between these criminal groups and nation states.
Speaker 2: They really are. Some reports link major ransomware gangs like Maize or evil Core potentially back to governments like Russia. Plus they lower the barrier to entry with things like malware as a service, anyone can rent the tools now scary.
Speaker 1: And there are activists.
Speaker 2: Right, groups like Anonymous. They're typically driven by a political or social agenda, often less sophisticated, maybe defacing websites or leaking data they find poorly secured, mainly to get attention.
Speaker 1: Okay, so that covers the outsiders, but you mentioned insider threats too. That feels trickier.
Speaker 2: It is because employees can be your greatest asset at also a significant risk. It's a double edged sword. You have malicious insiders, maybe a disgruntled employee seeking revenge, or someone selling their log in credentials for profit like.
Speaker 1: That Rereuke ransomware case. In hospitals you mentioned, yeah, installed by insiders exactly.
Speaker 2: A devastating real world impact on patient care. But honestly, far more common are the accidental insiders.
Speaker 1: People just making mistakes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, honest mistakes. Misconfiguring a cloud setting forgetting to apply patch, clicking on a fishing link when they're tired or rushed, or maybe taking shortcuts with security to get their job done faster. We've all felt that pressure, the.
Speaker 1: Whole work from home shift, using personal devices that must.
Speaker 2: Expand the risk dramatically, or even family members using a work laptop. It just creates so many more potential entry points a wider attack surface.
Speaker 1: So how do you combat insider threats? It seems really difficult given the trust involved.
Speaker 2: It is complicated. Best practices focus on limiting access the principle of least privilege only give people access to what they absolutely need, regular reviews of who has access to what, separation of duties for critical tasks, dual authorization. Security teams also need to look for specific behavior's unusual use of IT resources, setting up unapproved shadow IT, using password cracking tools, things.
Speaker 1: Like that makes sense. Okay, so we know who the adversaries are, roughly, how do they typically get in? What are their go to tactics?
Speaker 2: Well, the old classic is still king fishing. Social engineering remains the most common way attackers succeed.
Speaker 1: Still, after all these years.
Speaker 2: Still it ranges from those generic your bank account is frozen emails all the way up to highly tar targeted whaling attacks aimed at executives or those business email compromise BC scams trying to trick finance apartments into wiring money still incredibly effective.
Speaker 1: And ransomware that seems to be everywhere.
Speaker 2: It's dominated headlines for years. Yeah, attacks on critical infrastructure, hospitals, schools, first responders. It's brutal, and the ransoms themselves have skyrocketed from maybe hundreds or thousands of dollars initially to millions now the whole dynamic has changed. Sometimes companies do pay then notify customers. Even the FBI acknowledges it's a complex decision, though they strongly urge reporting any incident.
Speaker 1: What else? What other common tactics?
Speaker 2: Misconfiguration is a huge one, especially with cloud services. Remember that example an AWSS three bucket misconfiguration at a company called twenty one buttons expose fifty million files. Simple mistake, huge impact.
Speaker 1: Why does that happen so often? Is it just carelessness?
Speaker 2: Sometimes? Often it's prioritizing speed or ease of use over security settings. Teams are just stretched thin trying to keep up with all the new cloud and sauce tools constantly rolling out. It's easy for things to slip through the.
Speaker 1: Cracks and the Internet of things IoT devices, connected thrumostats, cameras, even pacemakers big area of vulnerability.
Speaker 2: Many of these devices, and also operational technology OT and industrial settings just weren't built with security as a primary concern. They might use older protocols or they're hard to patch. They create all these new edges on the network that attackers can target. Even things like device specific chips add complexity to patching and managing supply chain risks.
Speaker 1: Okay, wow, that's a pretty daunting picture of the threats. Let's shift gears. Then let's talk about solutions. Part three, Strategic solutions, the processes and technology we need for a more secure future. Where do we begin.
Speaker 2: Let's start with effective cyber risk management. This is really evolved. It's not just about ticking boxes on basic security controls anymore. It's about assessing risk, measuring it, and communicating it clearly, all within the context of your overall business strategy and goals.
Speaker 1: So defining the organization's risk appetite, how much risk you're willing to.
Speaker 2: Accept exactly, and that requires strong governance and oversight. CSOs need to be plugged into the company's core governance structure, like the Enterprise Risk Management Committee the Privacy Committee. This ensures cyber risk is treated as a top tier organizational risk, not just an IT footnote.
Speaker 1: And information sharing seems critical.
Speaker 2: Here, too, hugely important, maybe one of the most important aspects. Actually, organizations really benefit from joining Information Sharing and Analysis Centers IX or similar groups. Iss Our Sources pointed to North Carolina's whole of state approach as a great model, building partnerships across private sector, public agencies, academia all working together to protect critical services like nine to eleven or water systems.
Speaker 1: That makes a lot of sense. What about cyber insurance? Is that part of the strategy.
Speaker 2: It's a tool, definitely, but it's not a silver bullet. It helps manage the financial fallout of an incident, but it absolutely does not show if the ownership of the risk, you're still responsible. In fact, many reputable insurers now require their customers to meet certain security best practices, often aligned with frameworks like NIST. It can be especially valuable for smaller businesses, though the stats are sobering over sixty percent of small businesses hit by a major cyber incident actually fail to recover. Insurance can be a lifeline.
Speaker 1: There. Yeah, Now, something else our sources discussed was blending THENC and the SoC, the Network Operation Center and the Security Operations Center. Why is that important?
Speaker 2: Well, Traditionally these two teams often operated in silos. The NOC focused on keeping the network up and running availability, the SoC focused on finding threat security. But this separation can lead to real inefficiencies, conflicting analyzes is it a network outage or a cyber attack, delays in responding while they figure it out, which can be incredibly costly during an incident.
Speaker 1: So blending them brings benefits like faster response.
Speaker 2: Faster resolution, definitely reduced downtime, less impact. It also tends to improve processes, increase information sharing between the teams yet broader knowledge, better coordination, and it can make automation and AI tools more effective because you're not looking at two completely separate sets of dashboards and data feeds.
Speaker 1: Are there dangers to avoid if you try to blend them?
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely, A superficial or rushed integration can backfire. You might end up with one culture dominating the other, either network stability, overwriting security concerns, or security locking things down so much that it hinders operations. Finding that balance is key. NOC needs availability, SoC needs to hunt for malicious intent. They have different, sometimes competing priorities.
Speaker 1: So how do you achieve that integration successfully?
Speaker 2: It takes de liberate effort, maybe co locating the team's physically, establishing really clear communication channels, both formal and informal. Getting solid buy in from executive leadership is crucial, Developing clear playbooks for different types of incidents, running regular tabletop exercises, and importantly including folks from legal, him A, communications too, and leveraging technology like AI and machine learning to help correlate the flood of alerts and pinpoint the truly critical issues in that stack of needles.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Let's talk about building applications securely, the idea of shift left culture.
Speaker 2: Right, shifting security considerations earlier or left in the development life cycle, not tacking it on at the end. The core argument is cost. Our sources are pretty clear. Fixing a security flaw found after an application is deployed costs way more, maybe six to fifteen times more. Once were said, even twenty five times according to Nis, than finding and fixing it during the design or coding phase. So security leaders really need to well sell the merits of investing in a secure development program up front.
Speaker 1: How do you actually integrate security into that early design phase.
Speaker 2: There are a few ways. Human lead methods are important, things like formal design reviews, threat modeling, where security engineers actively brainstorm how an application could be misused, identify weak points, prioritize risks. Then you have tool driven methods SaaS Static application security testing analyzes the source code itself test Dynamic application security testing test the application while it's running. IAS integrates both, and.
Speaker 1: These tools help embed security earlier exactly.
Speaker 2: They catch coding errors, validate logic, scan for known vulnerabilities automatically. The key is tuning them correctly to avoid a light fatigue from too many false positives. But they are crucial for building security in not just finding flaws later.
Speaker 1: It sounds like getting developer buy in is pretty critical.
Speaker 2: Too, absolutely essential, and it requires empathy. You need to understand the pressures developers are under their workflows. Their incentives provide clear guidelines, yes, but also teach secure coding printfiiles, not just hand down rules. Things like secure coding boot camps or creating security champion programs within development teams can really empower them.
Speaker 1: And using data to make the case.
Speaker 2: Yes, storytelling with data is powerful. Use real world examples that not Petya attack causing ten billion dollars in damage or richating from a compromised software update that gets attention. Combine that with internal data showing the cost savings or avoided breaches from your own secure development efforts quantify the value.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's shift to GRC governance, risk and compliance. How does that become a strategic partner not just an enforcer?
Speaker 2: Well, the challenge is that traditional GRC traditional policymaking often struggles to keep pace with how fast technology is changing, cloud, AI, everything, and there's often this tension where user experience gets prioritized over security by design, which can create vulnerabilities right from the start.
Speaker 1: So what's the more strategic approach?
Speaker 2: One idea our sources suggests is creating an information Governance council, a cross functional team legal, privacy, security, IT, product development sourcing all at the table. This helps streamline how you evaluate risk, clarifies requirements across the board, and speeds up approvals, making sure compliance actually aligns with the overall corporate strategy.
Speaker 1: And automation plays a role here too.
Speaker 2: Big Time the Future is really about automationating the technical interpretation of security controls and embedding those requirements directly into code. Into the development pipeline. Policies themselves need to be rewritten. They need to understand current and next gen technology so they can enable secure innovation, not just restrict.
Speaker 1: Everything, and focusing on value not just cost exactly.
Speaker 2: Move beyond just calculating the operational expensive compliance. Align your technology and compliance metrics to demonstrate actual business value. Use metrics frameworks like NISS CSF or ISO twenty seven thousand and one for controls, maybe fair for risk quantification. Blend metrics about program maturity with metrics about actual hygiene. Are people adopting the practices and critically link these metrics back to business goals like your objectives and key results, your OKRs.
Speaker 1: So it all comes back to culture again.
Speaker 2: Really it does. Governance becomes a true business enabler when that security, compliance and privacy by design mindset is embedded everywhere, supported by ongoing education, tech briefings, and maybe even incentive for secure practices.
Speaker 1: Okay, one more crucial process area, cyber supply chain risk management or CSCRM. This seems huge.
Speaker 2: It is absolutely huge and increasingly critical. In today's digital world. We rely so heavily on third party IT and OT vendors software hardware services. This dramatically expands your potential of tax surface. So CSCRM is about identifying, assessing, and mitigating the risks associated with these third parties across the entire life cycle of their products and services.
Speaker 1: From design all the way to disposal.
Speaker 2: Exactly design, development, distribution, deployment, acquisition, maintenance, even destruction. It covers all interconnected hardware, software services, think smart tags, embedded software, and cars, medical devices.
Speaker 1: Everything that sounds incredibly complex to manage it is.
Speaker 2: It's global, it's constantly changing. The scope is massive. You've got layers upon layers of regulations adding complexity. And remember that stat something like ninety percent of IT vulnerabilities originate in software, much of which comes from your supply chain. Plus new tech like IoT Cloud five G just adds more layers of risk.
Speaker 1: And we've seen some major cautionary tales here, haven't we.
Speaker 2: We sure have. The twenty thirteen target breach started with credentials stolen from their HVAC vendor. Not Petya, which we mentioned delivered via a compromise update for Ukrainian tax software caused ten billion dollars in global damage, and more recently Solar Winds, a sophisticated attack where malicious code was hidden in legitimate software updates, hitting major government agencies and companies. These aren't theoretical risks, So.
Speaker 1: How do you tackle c SCRM. What's the approach?
Speaker 2: Our sources again point to that people, process technology framework people. You need knowledgeable leadership deep technical expertise, but you also need automation to help track the sheer volume of suppliers, software versions components. Cosos also need to pay very close attention to contract language with vendors, things like data rights, security requirements being passed down to their suppliers, flowdowns, aligning incentives okay, and process process leverage. Established frameworks NIST SPA one hundred and one seventy one, ISO twenty eight thousand series CMMC if you're in the defense space, these provide benchmarks and structured guidance. Don't reinvent the wheel and technology technology. Modern CSRM tools are getting pretty sophisticated. They can integrate publicly available risk data, use AI and machine learning for better analysis, connect via APIs to your existing systems. Often they use sauce dashboards for continuous monitoring. The key is letting the machines do the heavy lifting sifting through massive amounts of data so your people can focus on investigating the highest priority risks.
Speaker 1: Right, let the humans do the human level and ELSA Okay, this brings us towards the kind of ultimate goal, right, achieving end to end security exactly.
Speaker 2: Because the fundamental problem is that yesterday's security solutions just don't cut it anymore. Why is that the perimeter is gone, or at least it's incredibly blurry and fragmented. Think about remote work, mass cloud adoption, billions of connected IoT devices. These all create new edges today. Plus our sources indicate something like eighty percent or more of network traffic is encrypted now. That makes it really hard for traditional security tools to inspect what's going on.
Speaker 1: And organizations often have dozens of different security tools.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the average enterprise might have what forty seven different point solutions, often operating independently. These silos create security gaps. It's hard to correlate alerts across different tools. It's expensive and complex to manage, and it causes delays. When an incident happens, the adversaries are using scalable integrated platforms. Organizations need to fight fire with fire moving towards integrated platforms too.
Speaker 1: So what are the key drivers or pillars for achieving that kind of end to end security.
Speaker 2: Well, it starts with unified thread intelligence. That's foundational, integrating global data on emerging threats, attacker tactics, mitigation strategies that informs everything else.
Speaker 1: Okay, thread intel first.
Speaker 2: Then integrated security platforms. These aim to bundle critical capabilities together, things like firewalls, intrusion prevention, endpoints, security, cloud security, often delivering better speed, lower cost, higher ROI than managing separate tools. Importantly, these platforms should be open, allowing integration with tools you already have, and they should cover key areas like security driven networking, zero trust access, cloud protection, and AI driven operations ideally managed from a single pane of glass.
Speaker 1: Let's break those down a bit. Security driven networking.
Speaker 2: This is about converging networking and security functions, building security into the network fabric itself, not just bolting it on afterwards. This helps support modern trends like multi cloud environments and five G. It addresses problems like slow VPN performance for remote workers or inconsistent security policies across different locations. This convergence is really driving the adoption of SaaS secure access service edge solutions, which deliver security services right at the cloud edge close to users.
Speaker 1: Okay, and zero trust access ZPA, we hear that term a lot.
Speaker 2: It's a crucial concept, more of a mindset shift.
Speaker 1: Really.
Speaker 2: The core prints of is assume threats are already inside your network. Don't trust anyone or anything by default. You need to verify every user and every device, employees, contractors, IoT gadgets, ot systems before granting any access, and even then only grant the minimum necessary access least privilege and continuously monitor activity.
Speaker 1: So it's a move away from the traditional VPN model, where once you're in, you have broad access exactly.
Speaker 2: Traditional VPNs can be like giving someone the keys to the whole building once they pass the front door. ZT and a zero trust network access is much more granular. It provides access only to specific applications or resources the user is authorized for, offering better security and often a better user experience too.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. What about AI driven security operations?
Speaker 2: This is essential because humans just can't keep up Otherwise, the average security operations center deals with like ten thousand plus alerts per day. It's impossible to investigate them all manually. AI and machine learning are really good at sifting through that map massive volume of data, correlating alerts from different sources, identifying patterns, and highlighting the potentially high impact threats that analysts should focus on. Technologies like sandboxing safely detonating suspicious files in an isolated environment, and XDR extended detection and response which pulls in data from endpoints, network, cloud, email, etc. For broader correlation are key here. And finally, adaptive cloud security critical, especially with multi cloud strategies and all the remote work. The key thing to understand is the shared responsibility model. The cloud provider like AWS, Azure, Google Cloud secures the underlying infrastructure, but you are still responsible for securing your data, your applications, and how you configure the services. So your cloud security solutions need to integrate smoothly with all the major providers, cover your entire attack surface across clouds, and ideally offer centralized management and consistent policy enforcement.
Speaker 1: So putting it all together. The best security driven network isn't just one product.
Speaker 2: No, definitely not. It's not one size fits all. It's unique to your organization's specific environment and risk tolerance. It's fundamentally a risk based approach, actively working to remove the known unknowns, the risks you can identify and mitigate, and designing the system to make other potential threats irrelevant or contained. And it requires continuous integration of security controls as your organization evolves, adding new applications, new products, new processes, new people. It's never done.
Speaker 1: Okay, Wow, that brings us nicely to a wrap up. We've covered a lot of ground. We journeyed from really understanding how the role of cybersecurity leaders has changed the vital human elements, through the complexities of the threat landscape, and finally landing on these strategic processes and technologies needed for well a truly end to end secure enterprise.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think the key takeaway really is that modern cybersecurity absolutely demands a holistic approach. You have to integrate people, process and technology. Moving beyond those siloed point solutions is critical to actually building resilience in today's environment.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, So a final thought for you, our listener. The digital world, as we've discussed, is innovating constantly, but guess what, so are the adversaries. The challenge isn't just playing catch up, it's about anticipating, adapting, building that resilience proactively. So the question to ponder is what unknown unknowns might be lurking in your own organization, and maybe more importantly, how will you empower everyone, not just the security team, to become an active participant in your cybersecurity defense because ultimately, your vigilance, everyone's vigilance is perhaps the most crucial security layer of all. That's all for this deep dive. We'll see you next time.