Speaker 1: Hey everyone, and welcome back for another deep dive. Today, we're going to be cracking open the world of web penetration testing.
Speaker 2: Ooh exciting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so you're curious about how to you know, find vulnerabilities and websites, right, like everybody is. So to guide us today, we have excerpts from Practical Web Penetration Testing by Gus.
Speaker 2: Kawaja excellent source.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's published by Packed Publishing. Okay, so this might sound a little intimidating, but don't worry it can be. We are here to make it fun and easy to understand.
Speaker 2: That's us.
Speaker 1: We'll even touch on some pretty cool tools like burp sweet, which is like having X ray vision for web traffic ooh, and even metasploit, which is like a hackers Swiss army knife.
Speaker 2: Nice. So yeah, it's a fascinating journey, yeah, from building your own hacking lab, oh yeah, to actually thinking like a hacker. Yeah. And the book it lays it all out in the way that really anyone can grasp.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. So let's start with the basics. You know, to practice hacking, you need a safe space to play, right, So this book it walks you through setting up your own virtual hacking lab.
Speaker 2: It's like building your own digital playground. And this book it uses this vulnerable web application called Mutiliday mutildy. Yeah, it's kind of a weird name, I know. Yeah, it's a type of ant, but the name kind of fits I think because it lets you poke around, okay and dissect it and you can set it up on either Windows or open to Linux.
Speaker 1: Okay. So like most major operating systems, yeah, exactly, and the book makes it surprisingly easy even if you're not, you know, a tech whiz. It really does installing things like XMPP, which might sound a little intimidating, right, it's a breeze with the step by step instructions.
Speaker 2: The book really does hold your hand through that whole setup. Yeah. But once you have your lab up and running, it's time to meet your new best friend, Collie Linux.
Speaker 1: Ah, Callie Linux. Yeah, the go to operating system for penetration testers. Absolutely, it's like this toolbox act with everything you need for like digital detective work. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the book it covers installation and configuration and even how to navigate that command line which mandline Yeah can seem a little scary at first, right, but it's where the real magic happens.
Speaker 2: It is. It's like learning a secret language that lets you talk directly to the computer's core. Okay, you know. And the book dives into some essential concepts for setting up your virtual Collie machine, like the difference between bridged net and internal network configurations. Ah okay, These determine how your virtual machine interacts with your actual network. Okay, and understanding that is key to making sure you're playing safely yeah in your little digital sandbox.
Speaker 1: Right, so you don't want to don't want to mess up your break anything your actual computer, right right. It's like learning the rules of the road before you start like driving your virtual hacking machine around.
Speaker 2: Good analogy.
Speaker 1: So, speaking of secrets, did you know that the shadow file and call is where like those hashed passwords are stored.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, it's like a little digital vault, and we'll learn how to peek inside and see how those passwords are protected.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we get to see how the sausage is made.
Speaker 2: Exactly how it's made. EO. Now onto another powerful tool, burp suite. Oh yeah, this is where things get really really interesting because burp suite is like having X ray vision. Yeah, for web traffic.
Speaker 1: It's true.
Speaker 2: It's amazing.
Speaker 1: Burpsweet acts like a web proxy sitting between your browser and the website you're visiting, right, so you can see all the requests and responses going back and forth.
Speaker 2: It's like watching a secret conversation unfold. Yeah, right in front of you.
Speaker 1: You're spying on them. So what's really fascinating is that you can actually modify those requests and responses in real time.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can. Wow. So you can use Burke Suite to crawl an entire website, poking and prodding for vulnerabilities, and you can even craft your own custom attacks. Really, it's incredible.
Speaker 1: So it's like a hacker toolkit.
Speaker 2: Yes, at your Fingertipszy and Burps.
Speaker 1: We can also analyze a website structure to help you pinpoint weaknesses. It can, so it's like a bloodhound sniffing out vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: It really is.
Speaker 1: That's really cool. Yeah, so let's talk about the vulnerabilities themselves. Okay, the book it breaks down common web vulnerabilities in a way that's really easy to understand, even if you don't code.
Speaker 2: It does. It does.
Speaker 1: For example, let's talk about file inclusion vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: So imagine an attacker finding a way to exploit a website's code and access sensitive files on the server. Okay, things like configuration files or even password databases. Oh wow, in a worst case scenario. Right, So that's a file inclusion vulnerability in a nutshell.
Speaker 1: Okay, so like getting access to things that you shouldn't have access.
Speaker 2: To, exactly, got it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what about cross site scripting. I've heard that term thrown around, but I'm not entirely sure what it means.
Speaker 2: Yes, So, cross site scripting or EXSS is basically when an attacker injects malicious scripts, usually JavaScript, into a website. Okay, it's like planting a little trap that can steal user data okay, hijack their accounts oh wow, or even take control of their browser.
Speaker 1: That's really scary.
Speaker 2: Yeah it can be.
Speaker 1: So it's like slipping a secret note into a message and tricking the recipient into doing something that they didn't intend.
Speaker 2: That's a great analogy.
Speaker 1: Thanks. So the book dives into different types of EXSS attacks, like stored, reflected, and dom based, each with their own little quirks and dangers they do. So lots of variety there, Yeah, lots of variety. Okay. Starting to make sense.
Speaker 2: Now good.
Speaker 1: Another term I've heard is CSRF.
Speaker 2: Right, Cross site request forgery or CSRF is another sneaky one.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It tricks users into performing actions they didn't intend to do. Okay, like unknowingly making a post on their social media or even transferring money from their bank account. Oh wow, so that's a bad one.
Speaker 1: It's like really devious, it is? It is anything else we should be aware of on our vulnerability watch lists.
Speaker 2: Yes, you can't forget the classic sequel injection. This was a favorite among attackers because databases hold a treasure trove of sensitive information.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's a popular one.
Speaker 1: So how does SQL injection work?
Speaker 2: Well, it involves manipulating the way a website talks to its database. Okay, So imagine being able to slip in a secret command that forces the database to spill all of its secrets. Okay, or even give you control over the entire system. Oh wow, that's the power of SEQL injection.
Speaker 1: That sounds pretty scary.
Speaker 2: It can be, Yeah, it really can be. And the book uses utiliday our vulnerable web app to show you exactly how this attack works. You actually get to see how in SQL injection can completely bypass logins and expose all sorts of sensitive data.
Speaker 1: That's pretty cool it is. Now that's what I call hands on learning. Yeah, so we've got our lab set up, we're getting cozy with Callie Linux and yes, burp Suite, and we're starting to get a handle on some common web vulnerabilities. So what's next in our journey to becoming an ethical hacker?
Speaker 2: Okay? So now we're going to step into the world of professional penetration testing.
Speaker 1: Professional so like people get paid to do this.
Speaker 2: They do they do. Really, companies hire ethical hackers also known as penetration testers okay, to find vulnerabilities okay, before the bad guys do. Okay, And the book kind of walks us through how a real world engagement unfolds.
Speaker 1: So it's not just randomly like hacking into websites. No, there's an actual strategy involved.
Speaker 2: There is a very deliberate process, okay, and it starts with what's called the pre engagement phase.
Speaker 1: Pre engagement okay, tell me more.
Speaker 2: So it's all about preparation okay, and planning.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So penetration testers they gather information about the target, the company, their systems, their web applications define the scope of the engagement.
Speaker 1: Okay, So they do their homework.
Speaker 2: They do their homework before they even touch a keyboard. And a crucial part of this phase is communication. Ah. Penetration testers need to be upfront with the client about what they'll be.
Speaker 1: Doing, how they'll be doing it, what the expected outcomes are.
Speaker 2: So it's not just about the technical skills, no, it's about communication, yes, and professionalism as well.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: I'm guessing there are different approaches to penetration testing.
Speaker 1: There are There are three main types, black box, gray box and white box testing. Okay, so imagine it like this. Black box testing is like going into a maze blindfolded.
Speaker 2: Oh wow, you have.
Speaker 1: No knowledge of the layout. Yeah, you have to rely on your senses to find your way through.
Speaker 2: Sounds challenging, it can be okay.
Speaker 1: Then there's grey box testing okay, and that's more like having a map of the maze. Okay, but some areas are blurred out. You have some knowledge, but not the complete picture, so you have a little bit of a headste a little bit of a headstart. Ok And then there's white box testing okay, and that's like having the complete map of the maze, including all the secret passages and shortcuts.
Speaker 2: So it's like having insider information.
Speaker 1: You could say that.
Speaker 2: Okay, and each approach has its own advantages and disadvantages. Yeah, and the choice really depends on the client's needs and the goals of the penetration test.
Speaker 1: Got it. So black box, blindfolded, gray box, a little bit of a map, and white box you have the full blueprint.
Speaker 2: You got it?
Speaker 1: Okay. What happens after the pre engagement phase?
Speaker 2: Okay, this is where we actually put on our hacker hats ooh and start thinking like the bad guys. Okay, but before we could dive into the technical stuff. Professional penetration testers, they engage in something called threat modeling.
Speaker 1: Threat modeling, Okay, break that down for me.
Speaker 2: So it's all about systematically analyzing the application to identify potential vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Imagine a hacker trying to break into a building. You'd scout it out, look for weak points, plan your attack Accordingly, threat modeling is basically doing that for a web application.
Speaker 1: So they're trying to anticipate how a hacker might target the system.
Speaker 2: Exactly, got it. It's a very proactive approach to secure so it's not.
Speaker 1: Just about finding existing vulnerabilities. It's about predicting where future vulnerabilities might arise.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it.
Speaker 1: Thanks.
Speaker 2: It's about understanding the application's attack surface okay, and identifying potential points of failure, so.
Speaker 1: Like a weak spot, yes, okay.
Speaker 2: And a key part of threat modeling is actually creating a visual representation of how data moves through the application, okay. And that's called a data flow diagram or DFD.
Speaker 1: Data flow diagram Okay.
Speaker 2: Taking that so it's like a map of the application's nervous system. It shows how data enters and exits the system, the processes it goes through, and where it's stored. And this helps penetration testers identify potential weak pointoints where data might be exposed or even tampered with.
Speaker 1: So it's like creating a blueprint for hacking, but in reverse.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly. And once they have this map, they use it to identify potential threats okay. They consider things like spoofing, which is like faking identities, tampering with data, repudiation which is like denying actions, information disclosure, leaking sensitive data, denial of service, making the application unavailable, and elevation of privilege, gaining unauthorized access.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's a lot to consider. It is, so it sounds like they're trying to think of every possible way that a hacker could attack the system.
Speaker 2: That is the goal is to be as thorough as possible and to help categorize and assess these threats. They use frameworks like Stride and dread.
Speaker 1: Stride and dread, they'll sound like a superhero duo fighting cybercrime.
Speaker 2: They do, they do. They actually help penetration testers fight the bad guys. Okay, Stride it's actually an acronym for the different types of threats we just talked about spoofing, tampering, repudiation, information disclosure, denial of service, and elevation of privilege.
Speaker 1: So it's a handy way to remember all those.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 1: It is different ways an attacker might try to exploit the system.
Speaker 2: Absolutely got it, and then dread. It's a framework for ranking the severity of those threats based on their potential damage, reproducibility, exploitability, affected users, and discoverability.
Speaker 1: Wow. Okay, so a whole bunch of factors, a lot of factors. So by using these frameworks, penetration testers can really prioritize which threats pose the most significant risk they can and need to be addressed first exactly. Okay, And the book provides a practical example of a completed threat modeling document showing how it all comes together. It does, so you can see an example, you can. Awesome. So we've covered pre engagement and threat modeling. Yes, what's the next step in this process?
Speaker 2: Okay? So once penetration testers they understand the application and its potential vulnerabilities, they can start digging into the code itself.
Speaker 1: Ah. So this is where it gets really technical.
Speaker 2: It can be, but it's a crucial part of the process, and that's where source code review comes in.
Speaker 1: Source code review okay, so break that down for me. What exactly are they looking for in this phase?
Speaker 2: So the goal of source code review is to find those hilly security flaws in the application's code. So it's like being a detective, right searching for clues at a crime scene, except the crime scene is lines of code. It could be a very meticulous process. Yeah, but but it can reveal vulnerabilities that other testing methods might miss.
Speaker 1: So they're reading through the code line by line sometimes looking for mistakes that could be exploited exactly.
Speaker 2: And there are two main approaches to source code review, manual and automated. So manual code review is like having a human detective carefully examine every piece of evidence, okay, whereas automated code review is more like using forensic tools to scan for specific patterns or anomalies. So it's kind of combining the power of human intuition and experience with the efficiency of these automated tools. Best of both worlds, Best of both worlds.
Speaker 1: The book provides a checklist of common secure coding practices, covering everything from authentication and authorization to session management and data validation. It does so it's like having a guidebook for building secure applications. It is, but in reverse, it helps you spot where things might have gone wrong exactly, got it. So, once they've completed the source code review, are they done?
Speaker 2: Not quite?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Because web applications they don't exist in isolation. They rely on a whole network of supporting systems like servers, firewalls, and routers, and if those systems are vulnerable, the whole applications at risk.
Speaker 1: So it's like a chain reaction, it is.
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 1: Yeah, a single week link, Yes, can compromise.
Speaker 2: The whole thing, the whole system.
Speaker 1: So that's where network penetration testing comes in.
Speaker 2: That is where it comes in.
Speaker 1: Okay, this sounds like we're going deeper down the rabbit hole.
Speaker 2: We are going deeper.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm ready.
Speaker 2: So it's an essential part of the process, yeah, because it focuses on attacking the underlying infrastructure that supports that web application. Right. So it's a multi phase process that starts with information gathering okay, kind of like a spy gathering intel before emission.
Speaker 1: Okay, So information gathering, like they're doing reconnaissance. They're trying to learn as much as possible about the network they are Okay.
Speaker 2: They use a variety of techniques, including something called OSENT ohsent, yes, open source intelligence okay. And this involves collecting information from publicly available sources like where like company websites, social media profiles, public databases, news articles, blog posts, you name it.
Speaker 1: So they're piecing together a puzzle using publicly available information to try to build a picture of the target network exactly. Okay. And once they have a good understanding of the network, what do they do?
Speaker 2: Then they move on to vulnerability scanning.
Speaker 1: Vulnerability scanning so pretty self explanatory.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much. Okay, so this is where they actually use tools like endmap to scan the network for those potential weaknesses end map.
Speaker 1: Remind me what that does again?
Speaker 2: Okay, So think of end map as a very powerful radar system for your network. So it sends out signals to identify open ports, determine what services are running on those ports, and even guess the operating system of the target machine.
Speaker 1: So it's like getting a detailed map of the network's terrain. It is highlighting all the potential points of entry exactly. Okay, And once they've identified these potential vulnerabilities, what happens then?
Speaker 2: Then the real fund begins?
Speaker 1: Ooh, tell me more.
Speaker 2: It's the exploitation phase.
Speaker 1: Exploitation that sounds a little ominous.
Speaker 2: It can be. Yeah, So this is where they actually try to exploit the vulnerabilities they've found. They might use a tool like metasploit to gain access to systems, escalate their privileges, or even take control of the entire network. Wow, so it's pretty.
Speaker 1: Powerful metasploid didn't we mention that earlier?
Speaker 2: Well, it's a framework for developing and executing exploits. It's kind of like a hacker's toolbox filled with these pre made tools and the ability to create custom ones.
Speaker 1: So they're not just identifying vulnerabilities, they're actually trying to break in. They are, but it's all done ethically, ethically with the client's permission.
Speaker 2: Yes, always with permission.
Speaker 1: Okay, So they've exploited the vulnerabilities. Are they done now?
Speaker 2: Almost? There's one more phase. It's called the post exploitation phase.
Speaker 1: Post exploitation, so what happens there?
Speaker 2: This is where they assess the damage? Okay, So they figure out what an attacker could actually do, okay, once they've gained access, So they're.
Speaker 1: Not just breaking in, they're seeing what they can get away with exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay. They might try to steal sensitive data, install backdoors for future access, or even use the compromise system to attack other systems on the network.
Speaker 1: That's a lot, it is. So it's not just about finding vulnerabilities, it's about understanding the potential impact it is and demonstrating the real world risks.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, this is.
Speaker 1: Really intense stuff. So we've covered pre engagement, threat modeling, source code review, and network penetration testing.
Speaker 2: Yes we have.
Speaker 1: I'm guessing the next step is to actually start testing the web application itself.
Speaker 2: You are correct, Okay, we've laid all the groundwork and now it's time to put everything together and perform those web intrusion tests.
Speaker 1: This is what we've been building up to, it is okay. So how did they actually go about testing the web application.
Speaker 2: It's a structured process. It starts with crawling the web application to actually map out its structure. Okay, So imagine those digital spiders we talked about earlier, but this time they're exploring every nook and cranny of the web app.
Speaker 1: So they're building a detailed map of the web apption identifying all the pages and features exactly. And while they're doing that, they're also looking for hidden content they are right, that might reveal sensitive information exactly, like secret files or directories that aren't meant to be publicly accessible. So it's like playing a digital detective game. It is searching for clues and piecing together information exactly. Okay. So once they have a good understanding of the web apps structure and potential weaknesses, what do they do Then they.
Speaker 2: Start actually testing for vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: Okay, So this is where they put all their tools and techniques to the test.
Speaker 2: Exactly. They use a combination of automated and manual techniques to probe for those vulnerabilities. Okay, they use tools like burp suite to scan for common weaknesses. Yeah, but they'll also manually test for those more subtle flaws.
Speaker 1: So it's a mix of technology and human intuition.
Speaker 2: It is, it is.
Speaker 1: They're looking for things like cross site scripting vulnerabilities, SQL injection flaw, file inclusion weaknesses, authentication authorization bypasses, and many more.
Speaker 2: Yes, they are.
Speaker 1: Wow, a lot of ways a web application can be vulnerable.
Speaker 2: There are, there are, and that's why penetration testing is so important.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 2: It helps organizations uncover these vulnerabilities before the bad guys can exploit them.
Speaker 1: That's the whole point, makes sense. So once they've found some vulnerabilities, what's next?
Speaker 2: Then they need to assess the severity of each vulnerability because not all vulnerabilities are created equal. Some are minor annoyances and others could be catastrophic.
Speaker 1: So how do we assess the severity of a vulnerability?
Speaker 2: That's where the Common Vulnerability Scoring System or CVSS comes in.
Speaker 1: CVSS right a way to rank the severity of vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: It is like giving them a risk rating. Got it? So CVSS takes into account things like how easy is it to actually exploit the vulnerability, what's the potential damage if a successful exploit, where to happen, and are there any known mitigations or workarounds.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about finding vulnerabilities, it's about understanding how dangerous they are exactly. And the book provides practical examples of how to actually calculate CVFS scores, showing how different factors can influence that overall severity rating. So it's a really valuable tool for prioritizing remediation efforts. It is, so we've identified the vulnerabilities, assess their severity, and now it's time to share our findings with the client. It is, and that brings us to the final yes, and arguably the most important step in the web intrusion testing process. It is reporting.
Speaker 2: Yes, reporting, So reporting.
Speaker 1: This is where we translate all of our technical findings into a language that the client can understand and act upon exactly exactly okay. So a well written report can make the difference between a successful penetration test that leads to meaningful security improvements and one that just ends up ignored.
Speaker 2: It really can.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm starting to see how important this is. But I have to admit, when I think of penetration testing, I picture hackers, you know, hunched over glowing screens, fingers flying across keyboards. Reporting doesn't exactly scream.
Speaker 2: Action packed, No it doesn't.
Speaker 1: So what makes a good penetration testing report?
Speaker 2: So a good report it tells a story, a story, a compelling narrative that grabs the reader's attention and motivates them to actually take action. Remember, we're not just presenting data, we're explaining the risks and offering solutions. So we need to bridge the gap between the technical world of penetration testing and the business world of decision making.
Speaker 1: So we're like translators.
Speaker 2: We are translators.
Speaker 1: Yeah, bridging the gap between the technical world and the business world exactly. Okay, So where do we even begin? What are the key elements of an effective penetration testing report?
Speaker 2: Okay, so the book offers a very helpful sample report template. Okay, but let's break down those essential components. So we start with an executive summary, followed by the methodology section. Then we dive into the findings, and finally we lay out clear recommendations.
Speaker 1: Perfect. Let's start with that executive summary. Why is it so important?
Speaker 2: So think of the executive summary as the elevator pitch for your report. It's a high level overview of the entire penetration test, summarizing those key findings, the overall risk assessment, and the most critical recommendation.
Speaker 1: So it's the TLDR version exactly for busy executives who might not have time to read the entire report, got it.
Speaker 2: So it needs to be concise, impactful, and very easy to digest.
Speaker 1: Okay. So what comes after that impactful executive summary?
Speaker 2: Okay? Then comes the methodology section. Okay, So this is where transparency is key. You explain how you conducted the penetration test, the tools and techniques that you used, the scope of the engagement. Okay, So you want to give the client a clear understanding of how you approach the test and any limitations of your findings.
Speaker 1: So it's not just about the results, now, it's not. It's about explaining the process it is and being upfront about any constraints or assumptions exactly. Okay. Now for the finding section, okay, So this is where we get into the nitty gritty details, right, Yes it is. This is where you present the vulnerabilities you discovered, along with a detailed description of each one exactly. But remember we're not just listing out technical jargon here, No, we need to explain the vulnerabilities in plain language. We do highlighting the potential impact of a successful exploit. Absolutely, So instead of saying we found a cross site scripting vulnerability in the input field on page X, we'd say something like an attacker could inject malicious code into this form, potentially stealing user Welcome back. Last time, we explored a ton from setting up our hacking lab to understanding common vulnerabilities. We've been touched on that automation with Python.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's power stuff.
Speaker 1: But now it's time to get hands on and see how this all comes together in a real world web intrusion test. So imagine we're those ethical hackers hired to test a company's website. Where do we even begin.
Speaker 2: Well, before we jump into the web application itself, let's revisit the web server vulnerability assessment.
Speaker 1: Remember endmap, Yeah, that handy tool we use to scan the server for open ports and potential vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: Exactly. It's like we were mapping out the server's terrain right identifying those potential entry points.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've scanned the server. What's next on our penetration testing checklist, It's time to fire up burpsuite.
Speaker 2: Put on our detective heads now, make sure intercept is on in the proxy tab. This is like setting up a surveillance camera, capturing all the communication between your browser and that web server.
Speaker 1: So as we browse the web application, burpsuite is secretly recording everything happening behind the scenes.
Speaker 2: Precisely click on links, submit forms, use the search functions, even try different user roles if the application allows it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we're simulating how a real user would interact with the web app. But with burpsuite capturing every click, every request, every response, I'm starting to see how this gives us powerful insight into how the application works.
Speaker 2: And as you browse, keep an eye on burp's target tab. That's your dashboard showing the site map, requests, responses, everything verb is intercepting. Okay, this is where you start piecing together the puzzle, looking for clues that might reveal vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: Okay, but browsing every single page manually could take forever, especially with a large web app.
Speaker 2: You're right, that's where automation comes in. Burpsuite has these awesome features spider and content discovery. Think of them as those automated web crawlers, those digital spiders.
Speaker 1: We talked about, right, So we unleash these spiders to explore the website, mapping out its structure, uncovering all the hidden pages and files.
Speaker 2: Precisely, they systematically crawl through the web application, follow links, and index everything they find.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 2: Now, while those spiders are busy, we can start looking for other clues that might reveal sensitive information. A good place to start the robots dot txt file.
Speaker 1: Robots dot txt Remind me what that is again?
Speaker 2: Basically, it's a set of instructions for those search engine bots, telling them which parts of the website they should and shouldn't index. But sometimes it can accidentally reveal hidden directories or files that weren't meant to be public.
Speaker 1: Ah, so it's like stumbling upon a secret map leading to hidden treasures like sensitive data or can fig files.
Speaker 2: Exactly. We're looking for anything that could help us understand the application better or potentially exploit it. Things like database connection strings, API keys, even backup files.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've crawled the web application, scan the server, scoured the robots dot txt file for hidden treasures. What's next?
Speaker 2: Now the real fun begins. Burp suite has compiled a list of all those pages and files that discovered during crawling. We go through each one methodically testing for vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: So this is where we put on our hacker hats and try to break things.
Speaker 2: Not break things, but more like gently poke and prod for weaknesses. It's a stress test for the web application. We're applying pressure to see where it cracks.
Speaker 1: Okay, I like that analogy. So how do we actually test these pages and files?
Speaker 2: We start by sending each request to burpsuite scanner. It's like an automated security guard checking for those common vulnerabilities sequal injection, cross site scripting, and many more.
Speaker 1: So it's like having a robot do the initial screening, flagging anything suspicious exactly.
Speaker 2: But even the most sophisticated tools can miss things, so we also need to do some manual testing.
Speaker 1: Got it. So we combine the speed of automation with the intuition and experience of a human penetration tester.
Speaker 2: You got about and to guide that manual testing. The book provides a comprehensive checklist of common web age vulnerabilities.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what's on this checklist?
Speaker 2: It covers things like input validation issues, cross site scripting vulnerabilities, sequal injection flaws, file inclusion weaknesses, authentication and authorization bypasses, and many more.
Speaker 1: Wow, a lot to consider. But the specific tests we do will depend on the type of page. Right, A log in page will have different vulnerabilities than a simple content.
Speaker 2: Page, absolutely, and that's why the book also has checklists for special pages, log in pages, registration forms, password reset functions, and file upload mechanisms.
Speaker 1: Oh so really targeted testing?
Speaker 2: Yes, very targeted.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've gone through the checklists and uncovered a few vulnerabilities.
Speaker 2: What now, Now we got to determine how serious these vulnerabilities are. Not all vulnerabilities are created equal, Some are minor annoyances while others could be catastrophic.
Speaker 1: Right, that makes sense. So how do we assess how severe a vulnerability is?
Speaker 2: That's where the Common Vulnerability Scoring System or CVSS comes in. Remember that scoring system we mentioned.
Speaker 1: Right, like giving vulnerabilities or risk grading exactly.
Speaker 2: CVSS takes into account factors like how easy is it to exploit, what's the potential damage if exploited? Are there mitigations or workarounds?
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's not just finding them, it's understanding their impact and prioritizing. A minor vulnerability that's hard to exploit might not be a big deal, but a critical one needs immediate action.
Speaker 2: You got it. And the book shows how to calculate those CVSS scores, demonstrating how different factors can influence the overall rating. It's a great tool for prioritizing remediation efforts.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've identified the vulnerabilities, assess their severity, and now it's time to share our findings with the client.
Speaker 2: Right exactly, And that brings us to the final and arguably the most important step in web intrusion testing. Reporting.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to our deep dive into practical web penetration testing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're in the home stretch. Now.
Speaker 1: We've been through setting up a lab, exploring tools like burpsuite, Metasploid, even touched on Python automation.
Speaker 2: A lot of ground covered, but now we got to talk about a crucial part that often gets overlooked.
Speaker 1: Reporting, Absolutely, reporting is that bridge between the technical work and the actions the client needs to take to improve their security.
Speaker 2: So a good report makes the difference between a successful penetratation test, one that actually leads to change, right, meaningful change, and one that just sits on a shelf.
Speaker 1: Pretty much.
Speaker 2: I gotta admit, when I think penetration testing, I picture, you know, hackers in the dark, typing away furiously. Yeah, the Hollywood image reporting doesn't exactly screen action pack to me, what's the big deal?
Speaker 1: It's much more than just listing vulnerabilities. A good report tells a story, one that resonates with the client and makes them want to take action.
Speaker 2: A story. So it's not just about data.
Speaker 1: No, there's definitely an art to it. Imagine you've spent days, weeks digging into a web application, finding weaknesses, exploiting them, understanding those risks. Okay, yeah, Now you have to explain all that technical stuff to someone who might not be technical at all, right, like the client, who might not know code or how an exploit even works.
Speaker 2: Well, exactly. The report has to be clear, concise, and make them want to do something about it. Highlight the impact, explain the risks, and offer solutions.
Speaker 1: Okay, So it's like being a translator, almost bridging that gap between tech stuff and business decision.
Speaker 2: You got it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm seeing the importance now, But how do we even start. What makes a good report?
Speaker 2: Well, the book gives us a template, but let's break it down. We start with an executive summary.
Speaker 1: Okay, the executive summary, Why is that so important?
Speaker 2: Think of it as the elevator pitch for the whole report. It's high level, key findings, overall risk, the most important recommendations.
Speaker 1: So the TLDR for busy people who won't read the whole thing.
Speaker 2: Exactly, concise, impactful, easy to understand.
Speaker 1: Got it. What's next?
Speaker 2: Methodology? Here's where we're transparent. Explain how we did, the test tools, techniques, the scope of what we looked at.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the client understands our process.
Speaker 2: Right and any limitations. We're upfront about assumptions constraints so they know how reliable the findings are.
Speaker 1: Makes sense now, the finding section. This is where we get into the nitty gritty.
Speaker 2: Yes, presenting the vulnerabilities with a good description of each one. But remember not just jargon, write plain language. Explain it so anyone can get it and highlight the impact if someone were to exploit.
Speaker 1: This, So instead of saying cross site scripting vulnerability on page X, we'd say an attacker could inject code, steal data, takeover accounts.
Speaker 2: Exactly, make it real, show the risks, and include those cvsscores too, so they see how severe it is.
Speaker 1: Okay, got it, explain it, impact severity. What else goes in the finding.
Speaker 2: Steps to reproduce it so the client's developers can actually try it themselves, confirm we're right, a proof, and then recommendations. This is where we shift from problem to solution.
Speaker 1: So we're not just complaining, we're offering fixes.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and be clear, don't just say fix the cross site scripting. Offer real solutions specific to their tech and how they do things.
Speaker 1: So for that cross site scripting we might recommend output in coding or input validation exactly.
Speaker 2: The more concrete the solution, the more likely they'll actually do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we have executive summary, methodology, findings with details and fixes. What else?
Speaker 2: Two more things? A history log mm hmm, what we did when, all the details like our activity.
Speaker 1: Record so if there are questions later we can back it up right.
Speaker 2: And lastly, appendices for extra stuff too technical for the main report. Screenshots, code, diagrams, whatever supports our findings.
Speaker 1: So a complete picture, well documented.
Speaker 2: Exactly, give the client everything they need to understand, verify and fix the problems.
Speaker 1: This has been eye opening. I really get the importance of a good report now. So concise summary, clear methodology, detailed findings with fixes, a history log and appendicies for proof.
Speaker 2: You got it. Remember the report isn't just a document. It starts a conversation penetration testers and client working together, understanding the risks making things more secure.
Speaker 1: Well, folks. That wraps up our deep dive into practical web penetration testing. We've covered tools, techniques, vulnerability is the whole process.
Speaker 2: From building labs to writing reports. It's been quite a journey.
Speaker 1: But the biggest takeaway penetration testing isn't about breaking things for fun.
Speaker 2: It's about making things better.
Speaker 1: Working together, improving security, protecting against those attacks.
Speaker 2: Helping organizations build stronger, more resilient systems.
Speaker 1: Maybe some of you listening will even be inspired to join this field, become the ethical hackers of tomorrow, making the digital world a safer place.
Speaker 2: That would be awesome.
Speaker 1: So keep learning, keep exploring, keep pushing the boundaries of cybersecurity. Be curious until next time, Stay vigilant, and keep on diving deep