Speaker 1: Welcome Just hand Away Tagalog Sermon podcast, your daily dose of inspiring from heartfelt taglog sermons from different characters and speakers all over the Philippines.
Speaker 2: We hope that this podcast finds you in good shape. And now here's your message.
Speaker 3: You will listening to a message from Victory. We hope it inspires you to honor God and make disciples in your community.
Speaker 1: They will talk about the discipleship mandate. That's basically what we mean by helping somebody follow Christ. You making disciples, because that's the last word of Jesus before going back to heaven. And if you're asking God, Lord, give me a word today, that's the same word today. It never change and it's still the word of God for every believer.
Speaker 2: Go and make disciples. But as we do that, we're going to talk.
Speaker 1: About Peter's failure. Okay, and I think all of us can relate to this. Okay, Peter was the best in their batch. Just to give you a little background to Peter, no Week one, so I showed you some verses showing the list of Jesus disciples, twelve of them, and in every list, the name of Peter is always mentioned first. And that tells us that he's the leader of the group. He's the senior leader, is the first among equals. He's part of jesus inner circle meron twelve Disciples pro menci Jesus alagnia benea bit natatlo, Peter, James and John, and they were given the access and the privilege to some of the meetings and some of the miracles that were not made available to others. So Peter was one of the top guys. He's an anointed preach. Sure he preached, and three thousand people God saved. And he's one of those that God used to write portions of the Bible we're using today. Can you imagine that first Peter and second Peter the Bible that we're using today was actually written by this man. So he's he's one of those that will look up giant in the faith. Yet he also failed Jesus.
Speaker 2: Stories of failure and the encourage.
Speaker 1: I am able to relate more when I hear great leaders talking about their failures because it gives me hope and it tells me that it's normal. I can relate with the failure more than the success. Sometimes. Now with Peter, he failed Jesus as well. Now, because we live in and we live in imperfect world, and because we are imperfect people, we all experience failures. Helen, I'm saying you did that, experience behind them failure, and let's say you did too, perfect Dyla, Okay again, I mean.
Speaker 2: Have you here, You already experienced failures.
Speaker 1: So we're now in the same page, even the best among us. So today we'll look at the story of Peter's greatest failure recorded in all four Gospels. Matthew Mark, Look John, you can read this story in the past, the Babasan and Lahad. That was Matthew Mark, Look John. But you know there's a reason why Jesus allowed that to be recorded in all four gospels, and that is not to shame Peter, but actually that is to send the message.
Speaker 2: Of hope for all of us.
Speaker 1: Peter's greatest failure also became one of his greatest testimonies, and I believe God wants to do that to all of us as well. So, if you have your with you, we're going to read from John chapter twenty one, beginning in verse fifteen, and we're trusting that as we read through the story of Peter, God will speak to us.
Speaker 2: Wherever you are in your walk with God, whatever.
Speaker 1: Situation you're in today, this message will be God's word for you today. So verse fifteen, it says, when they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, Simon son of John, do you love me more than this? He said to him, yes, Lord, you know that I love you. He said to him, feed my lambs. Then he said to him a second time, Simon, son of John, do you love me? He said to him, yes, Lord, you know that I love you. And he said to him, tend my sheep. He said to him the third time, and he said, Simon, son of.
Speaker 2: John, do you love me?
Speaker 1: And Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, do you love me?
Speaker 2: And he said to him, Lord, you know everything. You know that I love you. And Jesus said to him, feed my sheep. Can we all pray right now?
Speaker 3: Lord?
Speaker 1: We pray today that you will apply your word in our hearts, and that you will speak beyond my words.
Speaker 2: Lord, you will speak to.
Speaker 1: Each and every one of us personally, and whatever that we are going through, whatever situation that we're in, Lord, wherever we are in our walk with you, I pray Lord, that your word will be a now word, a timely word for us. Lord, speak to us Lord in Jesus name.
Speaker 2: Amen. Let me start with verse fifteen.
Speaker 1: It says, when they had finished breakfast, I wonder how many mourning people do we have in this room? You love breakfast. I'm a morning person. Maybe part of it is because I'm getting older.
Speaker 2: Six a m. Five am.
Speaker 1: So when they had finished breakfast. There's something about.
Speaker 2: Food and ministry. It goes hand in hand.
Speaker 1: This is a victory mere ms, ministry, meals and movies, and we are committed to that. There's something about meals, food and ministry. Now, there's something about food making the conversation more personal.
Speaker 2: Now, it was a.
Speaker 1: Very uh that this is the lowest moment in the life of Peter. And when when Jesus was about to talk to him, he invited him for breakfast goff monazilla, pancakes, bacon, whatever, and and and and Jesus ask him these questions. Now, but before we uh go through this text, let me rewind a little and then we'll go back to our main text, because just so we have a better appreciation of the story that or the passage of scripture, we read Before this, Peter made a bold.
Speaker 2: Declaration and promise to Jesus.
Speaker 1: The night before Jesus was arrested and before he was crucified, they had a meeting, and in that meeting Peter said something bold declaration to Jesus, and we can see that in Mark fourteen. Again, this is recorded in all four gospels, but I'm just reading from Mark fourteen twenty nine to thirty one. Peter said to him, even though they all fall away, I will not say Manato, lord feelingto.
Speaker 2: Manato.
Speaker 1: But I assure you I'm not going to run away. I'm going to be here for you. And Jesus said to him, truly, I tell you this very night, before the rooster crows twice, you will deny me three times. But he said emphatically, if I must die with you, I will not deny you. And they all said the same, Sumaian.
Speaker 2: Lloyd, Indigeta, Juan. And they've been friends for years.
Speaker 1: They traveled together, they did ministry together, they had great memories.
Speaker 2: They they did good friends.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure Peter was sincere. It's not trying to to lie to Jesus. It's not trying to to have a different agenda.
Speaker 2: I'm sure during the time he was sincere.
Speaker 1: I'm sure you've said things also sincerely, but you were not able.
Speaker 2: To follow through. I'm sure you've also made promises and you're sincere when you gave the promise, but you broke your promise.
Speaker 1: So see Peter, Megan Malalimahanila don muhogu, See Peter.
Speaker 2: There was even a.
Speaker 1: Time when Peter's mother in law was sick, and even though Jesus was busy, he went to their house and prayed for the mother in law of Peter, and the mother in law got healed. Some peologians are saying that's the reason why Jesus did Peter deny Jesus three times later on in the ministry, Indiana gets it.
Speaker 2: But anyway, we're moving on. Kenion Land Laga Boohai. You know, one of the.
Speaker 1: Major causes of personal failure. He made his bold declaration and then he failed. His greatest declaration became his greatest failure. And one of the major causes of personal failure is over estimating our strength, whether that's moral failure, whether that's failure in marriage or business. It's overestimating our strength. The moment we think we are invincible. The moment we think that we are immune to temptation, or the moment we say that will never happen to me, we are in trouble. We put our guards down. We become careless, and we become arrogant. We assume things. I can watch that, ka, I'm matured, I can go to that place. I can be with this person even if we are alone. Mom, I know myself, I'm I'm devoted husband.
Speaker 2: I will never do that.
Speaker 1: The moment we think that, that's when we are going to be prone to temptation. That's what happened to Peter Sabina, that I will never do that, that will never happen to me. He was overestimating his strength. The truth is, given the right situation, you and I are capable of any sin. David was a man after God's own heart. He was a worshiper, he was a giant killer. He's a giant in the faith. Yet at one point in his life he's.
Speaker 2: Still committed adultery.
Speaker 1: So, even the right situation, you and I are capable of committing any sin. That's why we cannot overestimate. That also happens to business, and maybe we have business people in the room. There's this book that I read many years ago on titled pun book is How the Mighty Fall, written by Jim Collins, the same guy who authored Good to Great and.
Speaker 2: Really a excellent book.
Speaker 1: And this is a study of companies who started out very well, who were established, some of them, some of the companies here are fifty years old companies. But eventually they declined and they eventually shut.
Speaker 2: Down, they closed.
Speaker 1: And so they made a study and they tried to see if there's a similarity what caused these companies to decline and eventually be out of business.
Speaker 2: And he outlined five stages of decline.
Speaker 1: In the first one, they said, he here is the red.
Speaker 2: Sign, the warning sign.
Speaker 1: First one is arrogance or what they called you brisk of success. When they started growing, when they started having more resources and finances, they they assumed that they can do everything, and they can enter all kinds of business and they will get the same result.
Speaker 2: They became careless.
Speaker 1: Peter, after that that incident in John chapter twenty one, verse three, it says he went back to fishing. So I'm sure so, Bram Saman and Obni Peter he was so down, I mean he was he was crushed because of what happened, just the thought of betraying his best friend, betraying Jesus. And every time he would hear the rooster crows. Can you imagine Omaga the.
Speaker 2: Detroyed suggestus Saman remind gonna guilt more? You know, I'm in the past.
Speaker 1: Every time you see a person or a place, or an item or a scenario you it's replayed in your in your mind. And and Peter was like that. So he went back to fishing. Now it's not just like a hobby. What that meant is that he went back to his old life because he used to be a businessman. He's into fishing business. That's what he's doing prior to.
Speaker 2: His encounter with Jesus.
Speaker 1: And after he failed, maybe in his mind, there's no way I can move forward, there's no way I can return to ministry, and there's nothing I can do to make things right. I don't know if you have situations like that, A feeling Molana hopelessly. But we can see in the story that God was not yet finished with Peter. People maybe have given up on him, He may have given up on him on himself, but God has not yet given up on him.
Speaker 2: In deepa and give up the Lord. In fact, with the same way with you, God is not giving up on you. Means give up now.
Speaker 1: Especially they say they say that about the next generation, the millennials, about buying threshold. No Millennials when it comes to perseverance and persistence, when they when when their encounter difficulties, they easily quit back out. And sometimes we do that when it comes to our walk with God, we easily give upon Christianity in a to one month. I tried, I tried walking with God. I tried giving up on my sin. I tried removing the number of the girl. I tried to stop meeting with the her, but I end up going back. But with God, God is not giving up on Peter. In fact, that Philippines one six and one of my favorite verses in the Bible. Here's one thing we can be sure and I am sure of this. You know, there's a lot of things we cannot be sure about. I'm not sure what will happen tomorrow. I plan my week every Monday, I would plot out my schedule, but in reality, tomorrow I don't know.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of things we cannot be sure about.
Speaker 1: But this we can be sure of that He who began a good work in you will bring.
Speaker 2: It to completion of the day of Jesus Christ.
Speaker 1: How many of you know God has started something good in your life you encounter Jesus.
Speaker 2: Guess what, here's your assurance.
Speaker 1: If you know God has started something good in your life, If you know you had an encounter with Jesus, God will not leave that undone or hanging. He's going to complete it. Because God is not just a good starter, is a good finisher. He's a faithful God. Now we go back to our main text, and that's where how we got to John chapter twenty one, verse fifteen, and this setting of Jesus and Peter having breakfast together. And there are three lessons I'd like to draw out from this story that I believe is a message of encouragement for us as we move forward and as we answer God's call to make disciple. First one from this story is that Jesus is more concerned about our heart than our failure. Jesus is more concerned about our heart than our failure. You know what's interesting is that after what Peter did denying Jesus when they met, Jesus did not ask for an explanation India Sermund and Peter Graba Kuma indeed Sahia.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 1: Jesus asked of him. He simply asked this question, do you love me?
Speaker 2: He love me? God was going after his heart.
Speaker 1: You know why because to God, what's happening on the inside is more important than what's happening on the outside. You know, one thing I learned about parenting is that I should always go after the heart more than the actual wrong.
Speaker 2: That was done.
Speaker 1: Because if I address the issue of the heart, the behavior will follow. But if I focus on the behavior, I might force my children to tame down for a for a peeriod of time, but eventually the issue will come up again, and it's going to manifest in many different ways.
Speaker 2: So I have to go after the.
Speaker 1: Heart more than what's what has been done, and the same way taio. See, young Deemonial got going, you said, and he will focus us on what we've done. You said this, you did that.
Speaker 2: That's and he's going to load this with guilt and shame.
Speaker 1: But you know, more than our failure, what's important to Jesus is your heart. Come, stay your heart more. How's your heart today? I know you failed, But how's your heart? Are you allowing Jesus to address the issue in your heart?
Speaker 2: Are you allowing him? Or or are you running away?
Speaker 1: Jesus is more concerned about our heart than our failure. And basically Jesus was asking Peter because if you love me?
Speaker 2: Do you love me? I mean, Peter, Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, because if you love me, then we can move forward, we can do something about it.
Speaker 2: How's your heart today?
Speaker 1: Second is that Jesus love for us is greater than all our failures. Jesus love for us is greater than our failures. You know when I when my daughter and I joined our first me and my dad camp I think two weeks ago in the pastor Joash, I brought a lot of disposable plates and cups and spoon and fork, madele it's easier.
Speaker 2: It's more convenient corned beef in eating.
Speaker 1: I my hohogasn't pat up disposable, they're using it. I can just throw it away. You know, that's for some people, that's how they approach relationship. If it's not convenient anymore, when they think they already got what they need, or if an offense is committed, they simply throw away the relationship. That's why there's so many short live relationships today. Sobra Homan dinan Samana, young people, you know, short live three months, two months, disposable relationship. But how many of you are glad? God is not like that when it comes to relationship. God don't believe in disposable relationship. God believes in a permanent, everlasting covenant relationship. You know what's amazing with God is that he would always initiate a covenant. But mehren Shang, really, Abraham or anybody is walking with him. The Bible says, he don't need to make a promise because it's trustworthy, but just to make a point that he's committed to this relationship, he will give promises. He will enter a covenant to assure us that no matter what happens, he's not going to leave us nor forsake us. And I believe that's what God wants to bring to us. Security, security, Gusuni, Lord Malaman. Whatever happens is, love will endure forever. You will commit failure, you will fail, but God's love won't fail. You will be unfaithful, but God will remain faithful.
Speaker 2: God's love for us is greater than our failures.
Speaker 1: I read this book about Billy Graham is a one of the most respected evangelists in the United States. I think it's ninety five now I'm approaching one hundred Mahinanasha. But during his primary traveled around the world. He preached millions of people. He became the pastor of several US president uh.
Speaker 2: His integrity is really above reproach.
Speaker 1: He's respected of all denominations and religions in the world. And in one of his books, in one of the books written about him, there's this portion an interview about with him and his wife and there and they were being asked about their marriage.
Speaker 2: And there's this reporter who asked.
Speaker 1: Miss Graham, see Ruth Graham, Sabina, Mom, in your decades of marriage, was there ever a time when you thought or ever or even considered divorce? And Sabini Ruth Graham divorce no murder.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And what she meant by that is that their marriage wasn't perfect, but divorce never became their option. They're in the marriage together. They will have conflicts and fights, but we are committed to work this out. There is no plan B for us. Divorce is never an option, you know, the same way with God. With this relationship with you and me, God is no plan b. There will be failures, but God is willing to work it out. God is not going to leave us, nor forsake us, or nor abandon us.
Speaker 2: The Bible says that.
Speaker 1: In Romance chapter eight, that there is nothing in all creation that will separate us from the love of Christ.
Speaker 2: Wow. Yeah, metam forever, my forever.
Speaker 1: Okay, Lloyd Sabin that need neither hide, nor death, or angels, nor demons, nor famine nor sword.
Speaker 2: There is nothing in.
Speaker 1: All creation that will separate you and me from the love of Christ. No sin, no failure that will separate you and me from the love of Christ. But what the enemy will say to you when you fail is that the Lord.
Speaker 2: And he will load you with guilt and shame.
Speaker 1: That's why our tendency as a church tendency Bible Wagnama pray is to run away from Christ.
Speaker 2: But that's not God's will for us.
Speaker 1: There's a verse in the Bible that says, it's mercy is you every morning? How many of you know you are here because of the mercy of God? How many of you are glad every day? There is mercy available for you and me. I need mercy every day. We sin every day. I'm not talking about Blayton sins. Okay, sometimes you lose your temper.
Speaker 2: I have a victory group member. L's Wehennesday?
Speaker 1: Maybe business torna pass away starting on victory groups.
Speaker 2: That's Ryan praying a man Abian a girl.
Speaker 1: Because of phone. The three girls I say, been a Basushima staff. Yeah, Alasha don it so it was triggered. Pray Come, I pray, pray, pray. We need mercy every day. How many of you need mercy every day? The Bible says his mercy is new every morning. Great is thy frightfulness. I've been alive for thirty eight years, and I was counting kanina thirty eight years times three hundred.
Speaker 2: And sixty five days.
Speaker 1: That's more than five hundred thousand mercies that God has given to me the past thirty eight years.
Speaker 2: Five hundred thousand plus mercies.
Speaker 1: Every day I reach in mercy, then, says oh ryanang five hundred thousand quantiqulamb is mercies here every morning, every day is a reset. Every day is a reset.
Speaker 2: And last thing.
Speaker 1: And here's the connection to our topic today, to go and make disciples help somebody, move forward, preach the gospel. Jesus wants to use us in spite of our failures.
Speaker 2: Jesus wants to use us in spite of our failures.
Speaker 1: Jesus did not only forgive and restore Peter, he commissioned him to do the work of ministry. Sabina, do you love me? Oh hey, we're done after this. Let's let's address this. But after this, forget about this. Let's move forward. Feed the feed my sheep, take care of my sheep. Let's do the work of ministry. Clear division, I can keeping no record of bronx. Sometimes we do.
Speaker 2: Last week elementary look research ten years old, Gopalam.
Speaker 1: See Jesus, Division, I kee keeping no record of brooms Peter, Ay, this is bad or not sugar coating, this is this is sin.
Speaker 2: But I want you to know. After this, let's.
Speaker 1: Go go in like disciples the same way with you. That's the message of Jesus for all of us today. Don't just eat feed pastor gtorium feeding detail. We need feeding, no personal time in the world Sunday. We need feeding, peroing, feed someone else. There's so many people who's yet to receive the Gospel of Jesus Christ. And you know how it feels if we are always being the one receiving and we're not spreading the gospel. You know, I have here before I end and say, man, we have this box of donuts Jacob's and Jacob.
Speaker 2: I can regain. I'm preaching is a buy agent. Hey, you can get kinda getting mala.
Speaker 1: Sup make brook goffa began guitar, Susa, I'll give a maron alaya.
Speaker 2: La and.
Speaker 1: Okay, Sinda is a side not Alkay you are again Guapa, Papa.
Speaker 2: Yalla.
Speaker 1: Selli cora pa and we musaba sasa parents more attend next week, so you know Pa, let's.
Speaker 2: Say masamaglo struggle pastor and ana parents. Something's wrong. Unfair I'm fair twelve. That was that Iona fascinating sugar level and coopa unfair.
Speaker 1: No, you know this is the picture of Christians who always wants feeding, feed me, feed me, feed me, but not sharing the good news to others.
Speaker 2: Unfair some poon and Jacob, okay, jan you can share. You have so much.
Speaker 1: You know, when Jesus talked to Peter, he said, it's not about you, Peter, feed my sheep. And that's my exhortation for you today. You want to move forward. One indication that you are moving forward is that you are not always looking to yourself only, but you're taking your eyes off yourself and you're.
Speaker 2: Starting to see the need of other people.
Speaker 1: We Memami Papalan Tao Lord, you know last thing, as I end in in Luk chapter twenty two, verse thirty one to thirty two, it says Simon, Simon behold Satan demanded to have you, that he.
Speaker 2: Might sift you like wheat. But I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail.
Speaker 1: And when you have turned against strengthen your brothers. You know, Jesus knew even before Peter denied him three times. Jesus knew already Peter is going to fail. He wasn't shocked the same way with you Bagapan and failed Alemna Manilarde.
Speaker 2: He factored that in he knows you're going to fail. In fact, some of you here you failed Jesus yesterday.
Speaker 1: Maybe some of you here you failed Jesus last night when you were in front of that computer. Jesus knew Peter was going to fail. But Jesus said, but I prayed for you, and you're going to bounce back, and when you do, not if, but when strengthen your brothers. And the same way with us. I don't know where you failed. I don't know if you're failing. I don't know where are you going to fail in the future. But I want you to know God prayed for you and you are going to bounce back. That our failure is not final. Someone said failure is not a person, it's an event. And when we fail, remember this that, by the grace of God, you're going to bounce back. And when you do, strengthen others. And you know one way you're going to strengthen others is through your testimony. And your testimony is I failed, but God is faithful. I failed, but the love of God endured forever. I failed, but God is giving me the grace to minister to others. I failed, but God is at work in my heart. That's your testimony. Actually, in this story, Peter is not the hero. He is actually the villain. Jesus is the hero.
Speaker 2: You know in your life and your story, you are not the hero. You are the villain. Jesus is the hero. And though you fail with Jesus, you will always rise up again. Amen.
Speaker 1: And the reason God wants to restore us is not so we can go on with our life, just have a convenient life.
Speaker 2: But God wants to use us. You have a ministry. You have a ministry.
Speaker 1: Can you please join to the person see that next you tell that person you have a ministry. In Dela pastors, in Dila nao my ministry. God did not only save you. He gave you a ministry. And what ministry is that? And second, Christians, he said, and he gave us the ministry of reconciliation. All this is from God through Christ reconciled us to himself. Masayataio, we are at peace with God. My relationship now, my Lord, my sins had been forgiven. I'm walking in the blessing of God. But wait, there's more.
Speaker 2: That's not all. You are reconciled to God.
Speaker 1: And with that, he gave us the ministry of reconciliation, meaning us reconciling other people to Jesus. How's your parents are they reconciled to Jesus? How about your siblings? Are they reconciled to Jesus? How about your officemates? How about your employees? Are they reconciled to Jesus. If not, that is your ministry, the people in your circle of influence. Is not an accident. You are the missionary. You have a ministry, and God wants to commission you tonight in spite of your failures.
Speaker 2: God wants to use you. Amen.
Speaker 1: Can we just pray right now, Father God, we thank you for your word. Lord, Thank you God, just for the load of encouragement we receive from you tonight. Thank you for the story of Peter. We can find hope and encouragement in the midst of our failure. Lord, thank you for securing us that no matter what happens, your love will be greater than our failures.
Speaker 2: That your love will endure forever.
Speaker 1: And Lord, I pray that will encourage us that we're not going to use that as a license to sin. Rather, it will be a motivation for us to continually move forward. And every time we fall, we're not going to stay on the ground. We're going to rise up again. You said in your word a righteous man may fall seven times, but seven times it will rise up again. So thank you, Lord God for giving us hope tonight. Thank you, Lord God for assuring us that failure is not final. You can always restore us, and you want to use us.
Speaker 2: So Lord, use us. Lord. I pray Lord that you will also give us tonight a vision for ministry. God.
Speaker 1: I pray, Lord, show us the people in our circle of influence, our natural relationships. I pray Lord you will impart to us your compassion for the lost, open our eyes that we might see the harvest waiting for us. You said, the harvest is plentiful people who are waiting to receive the gospel.
Speaker 2: There is no problem with the harvest. Many times, the problem is with us. We are not willing.
Speaker 1: To be your mouthpiece, Lord God, to be your hand and feet. But I pray today Lord God, like Peter, we will go and bring the Gospel to people who needs to receive it.
Speaker 2: God, and use us, Use us. Lord.
Speaker 1: I pray for those of us here today who may be in a dark place, who maybe are discourage because of something that happened, or because of something that's happening. I pray Lorgod for your comfort. I pray Lord God for their faith not to fail.
Speaker 2: Like Peter.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Lord God for the assurance that they are going to bounce back. Lord, thank you that tonight there are people who are coming back to you. There are people, Lord God who are standing up again because they see that light of hope.
Speaker 2: So thank you, Lord God.
Speaker 1: I pray that this message will not only strengthen us, but I pray it will strengthen a lot of people are God.
Speaker 3: Thank you for listening to this message. For more messages like the Slash Resources Slash podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thank you for listening.
Speaker 3: We hope that you enjoy today's episode.
Speaker 2: Don't forget to share, and so subscribe to this podcast for more.
Speaker 1: God bless you all.