Speaker 1: And welcome to Cindy Stampo tough his nails on WBZ and I'm in studio tonight with Jesse Foster.
Speaker 2: Nice to have you again.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: Jesse's learning the ropes because Sammy's got a life besides just giving up every Saturday night to be on radio.
Speaker 2: And who's in the studio and you are?
Speaker 4: I'm maryon Ryan. The privilege of being the district Attorney in Middlesex County.
Speaker 2: What does that mean and how long you've been there?
Speaker 4: I have been the district attorney for twelve years, and it means that my primary mission is the protection of the public safety in Middlesex County and that comes primarily through the investigation and prosecution of cases.
Speaker 1: Has that been a hard job when you're from the best in the world, the best job in the world. I'll say the same thing about my job, but I will tell you I think it was hard for me at the beginning.
Speaker 2: Was it hard for you at the beginning?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 4: Yes, The learning curve is steep, and when I started doing this work, it was a very different world, I think for women.
Speaker 1: So you're saying here that when you first started it was tougher obviously, was it that you're a woman or you were just had to learn a lot more.
Speaker 4: There's a lot to learn, and there were many fewer women doing this work.
Speaker 2: So you come in, were you respected or you had to earn that?
Speaker 5: You had to earn that.
Speaker 4: I think, you know, anybody who's a trial lawyer has to earn that respect. And you've got to understand the seriousness of what you're doing. You know, the prosecutions we do can cause people to learn, lose their liberty, and be incarcerated. So you've got to be thinking all the time about the seriousness of that.
Speaker 1: Have you ever looked back in your career and said, or any deeds anybody that has stood in your position said maybe that person shouldn't have went to jail, or maybe that person should have went to jail, both vice versa or no.
Speaker 4: Well, I think, you know, we obviously subscribe to that view in this country that it is better that somebody who is guilty be found not guilty than that we get the wrong person and put them in jail. But I think one of the pieces to me is that we really understand that, like any other profession, we're fallible, and that's why the first thing that I did when I became DA was to create a conviction integrity unit so that if someone were saying I shouldn't be here, this is wrong, You've got it wrong, we had a way to be looking at that.
Speaker 1: Okay, oh that's a tough job. I like my job, and in your job, there's too much more stress in your job.
Speaker 3: Hey, we're all. All of us are good at different things.
Speaker 2: See my promise.
Speaker 1: I have too much empathy, Like I would feel bad for the person that killed the person, and I feel bad for the person that got killed, And why is that person so sick that they kill the person?
Speaker 4: All those people I know, these guides, and that's a balance we are always working on.
Speaker 6: We're eating kit Catcher, crime Junkies and all those crime shows like that is my number one favorite thing to watch.
Speaker 1: And then that's the other thing is mental illness out there, which is a lot right now, right.
Speaker 4: So mental illness and substance abuse are probably present in some combination in all cases eighty percent of the people that.
Speaker 3: Wow, that doesn't surprise me though.
Speaker 2: And what comes first?
Speaker 1: I always say that mental illness comes first and the addiction comes afterwards. That's my personal my personal beliefs being in construction for as long as I have and watching the epidemic of it in my.
Speaker 2: Business union non union.
Speaker 1: There's always an underlining problem before I see the guy move over to the painkillers and then to the opio, you know, to the and there was either he was shy, or he was not popular, or there's always a different story. Yeah, sexual molestation came out later on life, right. I seem to be like the mother to all the guys. They come tell me their stories, but not they're wise. I'm like, you need to tell you wife this. No, I can't tell my wife this.
Speaker 3: But because you're one of the guys, you know, they trust.
Speaker 1: I just, you know, I just I believe that eighty percent of the things bad people do is because they're under and then there's just a twenty percent.
Speaker 2: Then there's just bad people.
Speaker 1: They just do bad things because it's just Google crazy, right. I don't like Google crazy people. Those people just whatever. Some days, I'm okay. Jesse is in training on co hosting.
Speaker 6: I ask, I mean, I got the question. First of all, I have so many questions. I think your your job is so important and so interesting. What are the biggest challenges that you have that you face on daily or weekly basis.
Speaker 4: I'd say one of the biggest challenges right now is the lack of really effective available.
Speaker 5: Mental health treatment.
Speaker 4: Oh gosh, so even for people who have insurance, their ability to find a treatment that's going to be effective, be able to get into that treatment program when they need to go, right, you know, because when people see a moment when they're willing to do treatment.
Speaker 5: You've got to strike.
Speaker 4: And also because leaving people out of treatment can often put them in danger, put other people other nature.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but again, we don't have enough people to run these treatment centers. How do we don't have enough psychiatrists? We don't have enough psychologists, and psychiatrists aren't getting into this field.
Speaker 2: They're not coming out of medical school.
Speaker 1: Do the statistics on how many people are becoming a psychiatrists think about that job.
Speaker 2: You're listening to.
Speaker 6: Other jobs that aren't like you know, you don't necessarily have to be like a psychiatrist.
Speaker 4: Or I think we have to think more in reimagining how that works. Because you know, even if we took people today and decided, Okay, these hundred people are willing to be psychiatrists, you're looking at you know, probably a seven eight year window right before they're ready.
Speaker 2: To do training.
Speaker 6: And it's anything in life though, any job, any career, you got to work towards it. But how do you get to that level being able to truly help these people.
Speaker 4: Through these Well in the meantime, you've got people right now who need help. Right we also have to be thoughtful enough about it. You don't want somebody who isn't really qualified in a spot because getting bad treatment is even worse.
Speaker 1: If I'm going to sit here and I'm going to talk to you as a psychiatrist, and I'm going to pay you four dollars an hour whatever you're going rate is, and you want to see me on zoom, I have a problem with that. I have a problem with that. You need to watch my mannerisms. You need to see if my leg is shaking? Am I doing this? Am I what am I doing?
Speaker 2: Like? You need to feel me. You gotta that.
Speaker 1: I don't understand how you can help people on zoom now once you know your patient, right, fine.
Speaker 5: I mean they're off that way.
Speaker 4: There is a balance because one of the things that we did see through COVID is I represent Middlesex which is large.
Speaker 5: There are parts of our.
Speaker 4: County that are incredibly rural where public transportation is not an option. And the other piece that we forget about is even when you have public transportation, it's expensive, especially sometimes if you've got to take a couple of kids with you, or you got to do some you know. So I had many people who were able to get treatment during COVID who weren't able to get to treatment before, and that became an honest I can't.
Speaker 1: Believe this has become part of your job. This has changed drastically when I look at this. You guys are taking and recovery. You're teaching kids how to go into trades, the building trades of New England. What's that all about? What are you doing what I've been doing the last fourteen years, trying to get kids into the trades, teaching that plumbers, electricians and HVAC guys make more money than the average doctor, average lawyer, average accountant.
Speaker 5: You know. The trades are fourteen They're an interesting.
Speaker 4: Peace because they are very forgiving for somebody who's had some difficulties, maybe has some a prior record.
Speaker 5: The trades are one place that's.
Speaker 4: Very forgiving, for sure, correct to give them a job where they can make good money, they can get benefits. If they need treatment, they can be doing that. It is also a place where we have seen the number of people who suffer from opioid misuse or an overdose is very high.
Speaker 5: Of the people.
Speaker 4: Between the ages of sixteen and sixty five who suffer a fatal overdose, one sixth of them have been in the trades, you know, for lots of reasons.
Speaker 2: Pay that thought for me was going to break. I'm Cindy Snowpoint.
Speaker 1: You listen to tapes Nails on WBZ, would be right back and welcome back to tapest Nails on WBZ, and I'm here with Jesse Foster.
Speaker 4: And Marion Ryan. That is the what the Middlesex district attorney.
Speaker 1: You think people dislike people that are district attorneys when they hear that. That's when I asked you, I'm going off by ninety five for a second here, I think like.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, she's just a whole journey. Yikes.
Speaker 5: Really meets us in a happy moment.
Speaker 4: Either something bad has happened to them, something bad has happened to somebody in their family. They've witnessed something and now we're trying to get them to be willing to cooperate with us, or somebody they love is accused of a crime, and I think.
Speaker 2: That, I'm so happy I've got to meet you in all good terms.
Speaker 5: That piece doesn't even know it's coming down the road. But right now, all the other things we do.
Speaker 2: Okay, so get it.
Speaker 1: You're saying one six of the people in my business are in drugs, opioids, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: Alcohol.
Speaker 3: That's a lot.
Speaker 1: If you could wave a magic one, no more alcohol, no more drugs, would you do that?
Speaker 4: I think there's you know, everybody, no, look at drugs, right. The same drugs that people use, these opioids, for instance, also do amazing things for people when they use properly, like what you know they use for the treatment of chronic pain, for instance.
Speaker 5: Sometimes they make life bearable for people.
Speaker 1: How long as you think you could take those before you are now stuck on them.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think it depends on the person, the dosage, the problem, how well you monitor.
Speaker 1: They say two weeks you can become addicted to any pain.
Speaker 4: Oh, you can certainly become addicted, And it depends, but that assumes a success.
Speaker 1: I get pain in my seat. I could take a pain call. I'm gonna take three, and I'm gonna take three advalle. I'm gonna keep taking three advil blow my stomach. But I've never had a drink in my life.
Speaker 6: You've never You don't have an addictive personality like for me, for instance, I fell and hit my back like we do have in my family, like slight addictive personalities like I probably wouldn't even take that medication in fear of like I might like depend on this, I might say.
Speaker 1: I always said to my kids, if you never try it, you'll never know if you like it. If you try it one day, it's fun time, prior time, and then it's it owns you. Yeah, so if you never try it. So I never drank. I never had to drink marian because I was afraid. I worked in my father's nightclub. I was like, oh boy, these girls are making fools of themselves. I don't want to coming up to the bar. I'm seventeen. We could serve of liqu back that at sixty and a half, go home with that guy lesson you don't remember, like, Okay, this is something I don't want to do.
Speaker 2: That was my choice right. It made an impact on me.
Speaker 1: But to see that you guys are doing so much to help the community, it's wonderful, Well you have to do this is just mind blowing to me. I never realized that you guys are doing all of this work.
Speaker 4: It's really my hope that we take terrible things and learn from them and then put those lessons to work to help people.
Speaker 2: But Maria does a leopard change his spots, you.
Speaker 5: Know, recovery.
Speaker 4: We see people who I've We've seen people that I have seen at their lowest points, and I have seen them.
Speaker 5: Get to successful recovery.
Speaker 4: I think right now of somebody that we prosecuted many many times, who hit as far down as you could go, and there were lots of offers of treatment, lots of taking of treatment, treatment that wasn't successful, and then they found the right treatment program. That person has now been sober for years and is involved in a program of helping people themselves now running treatment programs.
Speaker 3: Wow, unbelievable.
Speaker 6: So when you, I mean, what do you think would keep someone in a program or how can we get someone to say they finished the program, they leave not come back into that program.
Speaker 4: I think you have to be realistic about the fact that recovery includes some slips and bed missteps. And I think it's taken people a long time to realize that. You know, for instance, in drug court, you know, when somebody is in the program and they have a misstep, yes there are consequences, but we don't kick them out of the program. Good you know, because every when you become educated about recovery, you know there were going to be some returning to bay.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right right, Wow, It's it's wild.
Speaker 6: Do you think that COVID had an impact on these like the rate at which people like whether it be mental illness skyrocketed or using drugs or just whether it be recreational or what have you like, did that increase in your experience or in your opinion?
Speaker 4: I think it did in that people were isolated for a long time. I think we know from many people that suffer from, you know, some form of some different forms of mental illness. Isolation is not a good thing. I think we all kind of lost the ability to socialize and connect, you know.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think for.
Speaker 4: Everybody, people are still they they operate socially a little bit differently.
Speaker 2: I do. I don't want to I don't want to be crowds.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 1: If I'm a crowd, I want to be outside. I don't want to be inside going to any event inside. I don't be around all the I'm not a germophobic, but I don't want to be around all these German people. Right, And I see a baby with running nose and get the baby?
Speaker 2: Wait from me?
Speaker 1: Like who I also said about babies like that because they're a little German sponges.
Speaker 5: But no, people, people change?
Speaker 3: It did change, Yeah, I do.
Speaker 6: It ruined like that social aspect for me a little like and like I'm less willing to go out and hang out with people now because I'm like, man, I could just stay home and watch Netflix, like I don't need to go out and.
Speaker 1: Right, or you can get on I sit on on an app called Chatter, right, and I sit on the board and I run rooms and I love it because we'll have rooms on It doesn't matter. It could be mindset, Like there's words I don't use that this generations all the time.
Speaker 2: What's the other word? What's my other word?
Speaker 3: Manifest?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm going to manifest on a twenty five right now. And I'm a supermodel and I'm going to be six y three. Oh hold on, I just opened my eyes. Oh I'm still looking the way I look.
Speaker 3: I can see myself, so you look stunning.
Speaker 2: I just think that.
Speaker 1: We get on these apps and they're great because this one, this chatter one, you go right on camera. You can have twenty people on camera and we're all debating each other on certain things, right, and it's fun.
Speaker 2: I actually, but you have to have the person.
Speaker 1: I want to do that too, right, So I'll run a five o'clock business room during the week almost every you know, every night at five o'clock, and then just keeps building and building and building. And I'm just realizing through social audio, not social like Instagram, Facebook, social audio, there's so many lonely people out there. They come home to an empty house, they don't have anybody. And I know now the drinkers, you know what I mean. I've get to know the people on there, and I'll be like, Okay, Shelley, I see you've had your third drink. Cut the drink out right because you can see they're getting you know, animated.
Speaker 2: Okay, how much? And Billy, how much part of you smoke tonight?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 2: Like as the night goes because the mom can run.
Speaker 1: Sometimes from five o'clock I'll step out some it will take over for me.
Speaker 2: I'll come back at eight, nine o'clock or stay right through it.
Speaker 1: You can see and I'll say, okay, yeah, I'll say, guys, get you, I'm shutting down the room.
Speaker 2: I'm tied.
Speaker 1: No, don't shut down the room. And then like on a Friday night, it's like, okay, everybody just released. But there's a lot of lonely people up and they depend on those those people that they can look up to. Right, And I'll say, guys, look, I keep it real, like I'm not perfect. I'm out here making the same mistakes. Mistakes, don't you can't look at my life now, thirty seven years later. I've got battle scars that are bigger than most people in this room.
Speaker 2: Okay, So like.
Speaker 1: They want to see you today, they don't want to see the pain that you've put into your career and the guilt as a mom and the things that you've missed being a mom. Right, everybody just thinks it's easy you just get there. You don't just get there. It's hard work. It's tenacity, it's pushing that rock up that mountain. Every day. And if you happen to be oppressed with empathy, it's hard to do your job. It's even hard to do my job because you want to just keep forgiving and forgiving and forgiving, but you can't. And you're a line of work because somebody's gonna get hurt. But I do not believe that we just put people in jail. That's not the answer either. If they have an alcohol problem, if they have a mental problem, let's not just stick them in jail. But we're gonna put in a hospital. But if you don't have insurance, self played at McLean's is crazy money, right, So wh is the answer? What is the answer? We closed down all the state hospitals and what year do you remember, like some of the nineties.
Speaker 5: Yeah, before that, really they started.
Speaker 2: Do you know why they closed down these hospitals? Can remember?
Speaker 4: I don't think there was and this was appropriate in many respects.
Speaker 5: There was.
Speaker 4: There were many people who suffer from a mental illness, for instance, who still have civil rights, and they should be. They were able to make some decisions for themselves, some ability to have some ability to how they want to live their life. You know, we had some places where the conditions were wonderful, and the problem is we've had a hard time trying to strike a balance from all of that.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that thought.
Speaker 1: This is Cindy Stumbley listened Toughest Nails in WBZ and welcome back to Toughest Nails on WBZ.
Speaker 2: And I'm here with welcome.
Speaker 4: Welcome Jesse Foster and Marion Ryan, the district attorney in Middlesex County.
Speaker 2: I love the way you say that. You say that with authority.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm City Stumpy from Sea Stumple Development and I'm gonna break your face.
Speaker 3: No, there you go.
Speaker 2: Guys, can you please come to work? Do I have to keep chasing you? Right? You're talking about Jesse. You had a question?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do so. As we all know, summer's coming.
Speaker 6: There are I see here that you have some new adaptive swim programs for kids with special needs.
Speaker 3: Can you tell us a little bit about that?
Speaker 5: Sure? You know.
Speaker 4: One of the saddest things that we do is troopers in our office, which respond anytime we have someone who suffers a death by drowning always sad, just incredibly sad when it's a child. And we have worked very hard over the last decade to really reduce those numbers, because for kids, it really.
Speaker 5: Comes in three forms.
Speaker 4: Usually one is what we all think about, the toddler who's kind of left unattended or gets away from somebody, something terrible happens. The second is kids in what we have in some parts of our county kind of ornamental water, you know, there's a koi pond, there's those big fountains, things like that.
Speaker 5: The other is older.
Speaker 4: Kids, usually boys, often an inner city kid who's never had the opportunity to swim. They're with a bunch of their friends, it's ninety five degrees. Nobody wants to say I can't swim, and in they go. It doesn't look all that hard, and then their friends don't realize that they can't swim. There's some kind of distress going on, and then their friend doesn't come up, and those you know, one of the things we looked at a lot is obviously it destroys our family, but neighborhoods, communities, those are the kinds of things that people never forget. And so we've done a lot of work, a lot of partnerships with private pool companies, education in the community. But what we also started to see was a number of those children were children who were neuro divergent, and when we did research into that, we learned that kids who are neurodivergent are one hundred and sixty times more likely wow to die by downing. It's enormous and there's a couple of reasons for that. One is because they really are attracted to the calm of the water, the security, the embrace of the water, particularly if they're lost or frightened. They all seek some comfort from the water. The other is that many of the programs to teach kids to swim, you know, the Why or the Boys and Girls Club, all of those kind of programs, the typical program is not going to be effective for those kids. They really need to have changes in the program that is teaching them. So we have partnered with a company where we've been going around any place we can get a pool for four hours, we are offering the program for free for neurodiversent kids and their parents or guidians to come.
Speaker 5: It is it is some of the they are some of the best days we have.
Speaker 3: Where is this is it like?
Speaker 5: We've been doing them.
Speaker 4: In different places. We just did one of the throw club in conquered. We've used the State Police dive team pool. The State Police dive team comes out with us and is in the water to make the kids safe. It is unbelievable to see kids come who are very apprehensive about getting near the water and then see them three hours later when they're splashing around the pool and having a great time. And a lot of it is about really teaching in a different way and also helping families to learn some rituals. One of the things that kids learn is you know, often kids are lost or they're frightened and they run into the water and.
Speaker 5: Bad things happen quickly.
Speaker 4: This ritual thing really slows the kids down because they learn, for instance, before you ever go in the water, the bathtub, a pool, whatever, you do this ten or fifteen minutes of getting yourself ready. I'm going to touch my head, I'll touch my shoulders. That time can be what saves the kids, like because somebody catches up to them and they're able to rescue them if they're not.
Speaker 2: Stuff here. Your deprotlement is doing a lot here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we do an amazing amount off And now.
Speaker 1: You're also working to connect kids exposed to opioid related trauma with services.
Speaker 2: How does that program work?
Speaker 1: So we have and by the way, you watching every eleven, you're following that every eleven minutes, some kid dies between the ages of I think eleven to I think they moved into twenty one. Every eleven minutes something this country is dying from one kid that could take a percoset and it's just full of fatanol. And we're not talking about drug users. We're talking about kids.
Speaker 3: That literally over the counter drugs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a pill off, another kid off in school. Okay, these are kids that I haven't entered into the real drug world. They taken HDD whatever, what's those maybe some boom percept booms, you know, And every eleven minutes, you've following that every Yeah, I have all of my Instagram.
Speaker 2: I want to cry every time I watch it. But tell me what this is really about.
Speaker 4: We unfortunately, have seen lots of situations where kids are the ones who find a parent or guardian who's suffered an overdose. They go to school and they come home and something has happened. And you know, we had one of the real sort of triggers for this was we had a case where a little girl had come home had found her mother passed away, then went off to school, was sent off to school the next day. The school had no idea what had happened, all right, And you know what, it comes from a good place. It's kind of the you know, to keep the routine, and we don't want them around while we do all of this. But think about being the child who's kind of been up all night. The police have been at your house. Mom's gone. You're terrified, and then you're expected to sit at your desk. Yeah, and and for lots of families, you know, sudden death is terrible. Trying to deal with the medical Examiner's office, dealing with the police, they're not going to have top of mind. Gee, I need to get some services for this child, even if they're thinking about that that's down the road someplace. So what we've done in partnership is to have clinicians available so that our police when they go there, they see there's a child there, or there's.
Speaker 5: A child about to come home.
Speaker 4: You know, there's a serial bowl on the table, there's a kid coming home. At some point they make the referral to the Department of Children and Families that they're required to do, and they also make a reach out to these providers that have partnered with us to set up a program, so that then when we talk to you know, assume the grandmother's coming to take that child. We aren't just saying, gee, you should get your granddaughter some help. We're saying, call this number and Cindy will see her tomorrow. So it's a much more practical kind of things.
Speaker 2: Come see them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you do. They're like age.
Speaker 2: Kids have lost their parents in the last two years.
Speaker 4: Well about one third of the kids who are in foster care right now in Massachusetts, many of whom are being raised by their grandparents, are there because of opioids, either because a parent can't parent because.
Speaker 2: Of that, or their grandparents are raising.
Speaker 5: Enormous number of people. We do a training program.
Speaker 1: Might I have had one friend that their grandparents raised them between living on the North Shore, so I was thirteen and kept all those friends. Yeah, all my friends are revere being at my grandparents and all my kids my friends and I never saw any grandparents have to raise their.
Speaker 4: The number is enormous right now. I do a lot of training for grandparents because if you think about being a parent right now, just a regular parent and trying to keep up with the electronics.
Speaker 5: Keep enough. Just well, if you're eighty, that's a whole different world.
Speaker 4: So we do a lot of training with grandparents about this is what this means. You know, they don't know.
Speaker 6: What I decay, civity, you're all these other weird words.
Speaker 4: So there's an enormous number of grandparents who step up who it changes their life. I mean obviously some often they're living someplace where they can't have kids, so now they've got to figure out where to go.
Speaker 5: You know, costing Raising kids costs a lot of money.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I haven't had any yet, but yeah someday.
Speaker 1: So you know, there's a lot of that kids overrated. Okay, cyber education campaign that your office is launching with a focus on is this word right?
Speaker 2: Sex? Thing?
Speaker 5: Sex?
Speaker 2: What's sexting mean? Oh?
Speaker 3: Come on, you know what's sexting?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: What's sexting is sharing sexually inappropriate photos, videos, that kind.
Speaker 3: Of sending nudes, flirting like.
Speaker 2: Oh they're doing yeah, yeah, what's that all about? That needs to stop?
Speaker 4: So you know it's getting But what people forget is actually doing that in Massachusetts is a felony. We're not looking to be punishing little kids, you know, because we're seeing kids.
Speaker 1: And so fifteen year old girl wants to send that's what you call it, and I have a word for it, sextinging their boyfriend sexting, sex text should be sex texting or whatever. Sexting, it's sexting with their boyfriend, and then their boyfriend splats it all over school.
Speaker 5: They're both guilty.
Speaker 4: She sent she's guilty for sending the pictures. He is obviously guilty for sharing those pictures.
Speaker 2: What happens those kids?
Speaker 4: So what we do is when that's what's been that's all that's been happening. We're not talking about somebody who's a repeat defender or somebody who's threatening people with them or blackmailing them.
Speaker 5: They We require that they.
Speaker 4: Come in and they do an education program. They and their parents, they come in for a day. They come in and do that. The hope is that they now realize what that means.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, thought we got to gloat to break. I'm Sidney Stumbling.
Speaker 1: Let's send Toughest Nails in WBZ, and welcome back to Toughest Nails on WBZ.
Speaker 2: And I'm Cindy Stumpo and I'm here with.
Speaker 4: Jesse Foster and Aaron Ryan, the District Attorney Middlesex County.
Speaker 2: Okay, let's talk about cold cases. I love that one.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been excited about this topic.
Speaker 4: We've done an amazing amount of work in this area. We created a cold case unit in twenty nineteen, and just this year so far we've been able to bring four cases to some resolution.
Speaker 2: What I like.
Speaker 4: So I'll give you an example. We just arranged somebody yesterday. In a case that happened in two thousand and nine, twenty three year old woman lived with her family, had a good job, kind of everything literally everything in front of her. To get to her job, she needed a car. She'd been using her dad's car. She was going to buy a car. She had a guy who was a friend, had been a friend since childhood.
Speaker 5: He said he could get.
Speaker 4: Hook her up with somebody he knew who worked at a car dealership get her a good deal on the Cardiff car she wanted. He told her the only hitch was she had to pay cap. She wanted to get the good price, she had to pay cash. She went to the bank in April of two thousand and nine and twenty three, took out the money, very excited, you know, got the money, got to get the car, had a picture of the car. Everything was great. And in fact, her friend and a friend of his who actually did work at a car dealership, who had produced a car that was the kind of car she wanted. You get a picture of the car. She thought that's what she was getting. They set her up, robbed her, and shot her. That's the allegation. She was found she was missing for a week and ultimately found dead in her father's car.
Speaker 5: So the allegation.
Speaker 1: All these years later, how they put the puzzle together.
Speaker 4: Really, our cold case unit did some amazing work, just really going through evidence, looking at things, putting things together, re examining some of the evidence. With better technology to put that together, we were able to make an arrest. We brought him in yesterday to start that process. He's been indicted.
Speaker 2: He was guilty yesterday.
Speaker 5: No, No, we got to does he say not guilty? He yes.
Speaker 4: I mean everybody is presumed to be innocent until they're proven guilty.
Speaker 2: If I have a come and say I did it, it's just give me the give me the time.
Speaker 4: There are certainly some people along the way who make statements sometimes and plead guilty.
Speaker 3: Yes, Is that for like a lesser?
Speaker 5: No? No, not always.
Speaker 3: Serve not always.
Speaker 1: So that's one cold case. Yep, what's the best cold case that you've ever seen? Because I've watched these on TV all the time.
Speaker 3: All the time.
Speaker 4: I prosecuted a case myself that I responded to when it happened. It took us twenty years to make the arrest, and many of the programs I have are born out of that because in that case, the victim was a single mother. She had three kids, seven, four, and eleven. They came home from school and found her and didn't have the benefit of a lot of immediate treatment. She ultimately re arrested and convicted a person who was a coworker. She was somebody who went to work for a family owned company. She was so grateful for that job because it allowed she was making decent money, it allowed the hours, allowed her.
Speaker 5: To be with her kids.
Speaker 4: The suspect in that case was somebody who was much higher up in the company than she was. You know, she really was. I think probably thought she could handle it. She wasn't going to rock the boat. People knew that there was some things that went on, and one of the things we really discovered, and you all know this from working is lots of times in places, you know a little bit about something that happened. You know a little bit about something that happened, somebody else knows, but no one knows the whole picture. And she wasn't really complaining, you know, she didn't go to the bus and say I want him taken away, or I don't want him coming to where my sight is that kind of thing. She was just trying to keep everything together. And I'll you know, it took us twenty years, and that for me was a situation where I saw those kids grow up. I saw how different there life.
Speaker 2: Blamed anybody right away.
Speaker 4: No, we had suspicions, but we didn't have enough evidence to charge.
Speaker 6: Your suspicions always on that individual, Yeah wow.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean not.
Speaker 4: We had ruled out other people. You know, she'd been in she had an ex husband. We had ruled him out. There were some other people who floated up. We kind of you know, ruled people out. He was a person who continued to kind of come up.
Speaker 5: Well, we didn't. We just didn't have enough evidence to charge him.
Speaker 1: The one that gets charged was the one that you thought. Yeah, yeah, teen years later, twenty years later, years the well side. The guy with the pizza, the guy that we're did it, raped all those girls in New York. They got him a many years later and took the pizza out of the dumpster after he threw to the dumpster.
Speaker 5: Oh for the DNA.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, come on, that guy was what a layable one time?
Speaker 5: Yeah it's a very low yeah, yeah something New York.
Speaker 4: YEAHZ know the I forget what they call that guy.
Speaker 2: Killed how many girls and buried them all in the same area.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh my god, I can't believe New York.
Speaker 2: But he was caught twenty.
Speaker 4: Well, they got they got pizza out of the dumpster, and that's how they got the d.
Speaker 1: They watched him eat the pizza and they must have threw the crust in the dumpster.
Speaker 3: I can't remember the Long Island.
Speaker 6: How cell phones and a pizza box led to a suspect in three pieces.
Speaker 4: I mean, forensic genealogy has changed that. You know, we are the only DA's office that has a forensic genealogist as a consultant that gives you a whole nother because one of the things that happens is if you get DNA, so you're the killer, you leave some DNA on this table, I get it. Well, if you've never been arrested and you've never given up your DNA.
Speaker 3: It's not really helpful to me.
Speaker 1: That's not true, because if the daughter or granddaughter has right or a sibling right, they can tie.
Speaker 4: A forensic genealogist can build out that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's why that ancestry things like dangerous, right or helpful.
Speaker 1: I guess for people that are like us, if don't do any wrong that some of our family members have in the past, it could hurt them.
Speaker 2: That's the truth, right.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: And and that's not magic, but it's a it's another tool because if we can find out, okay, whoever this killer is is the maternal relative of yours, Well, you probably have a whole bunch of maternal relatives. True, So now we have to take that whole family tree. Some of them will be the wrong sex, some of them will be too old or too young, some of them have never lived anywhere near where we are. So you eliminate, well, then you narrowed on and then you have to go back and get a DNA sample from that target.
Speaker 5: And that if you're right, that should match me.
Speaker 1: So not only all this, you're also doing young woman leadership and the future.
Speaker 2: Mate, will you get all this time? Why wait?
Speaker 1: Hold on, this one's up my alley. How come I'm not getting a call to help you on this one?
Speaker 5: I know we'll call you for next year.
Speaker 3: We did it?
Speaker 4: Is that is my favorite day of the year. We just did it. We had six hundred.
Speaker 5: Girls my games. Yeah, I do, I know. I know.
Speaker 1: Hey, take that stage like this with these girls. They're like this, she says, what I want to do that? So you recently held a car fence for five hundred young women. What made you want to put that together?
Speaker 4: You know, I think I'm the only woman who's serving as a DA in Massachusetts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good for you.
Speaker 4: So, and I think you know, we put so much on kids now. One of the things that's is to see the girls come and we start out by just saying to them, you don't have to worry about anything today. You don't have to think about school, you don't have to be thinking about your mcast, you're not going to plays. Say, we just want you to sit and listen and think about who you could become. And then they watch people all day. They do things like this one we just had. They had a great moment. One of their speakers said every person should kind of have an elevator pitch about themselves. So she talked about what you want to say, what you do, and then just out of the audience, we had.
Speaker 5: Kids just lining up. These kids were like some of them were the eighth grade jumping up.
Speaker 4: They were so good at it. That's the kind of thing they don't ever do anywhere. You know, there's so much pressure on kids. How do I look? How am I doing in school? And I got to get to college? Am I playing sports? Am I doing this? They forget who they are and how valuable they are.
Speaker 1: We grew up in a generation that we came home from school, we put our play clothes on, we play, and when the lights came home, we knew to come home.
Speaker 3: I was okay, I was there. I was outside. My mom had a cow bell, the dinner bell. We'd be outside.
Speaker 1: Can we just think kids back to nineteen eighty two and thwell them in the streets for like forty dollars to see along they were?
Speaker 3: Do you think it would help? I think technology really is, you know, it's a blessing and.
Speaker 6: A curse because it, like I think, solve cold cases, yet it takes away the attention span of children.
Speaker 2: I think it's like.
Speaker 5: Anything, you should do it in moderation.
Speaker 4: Kids don't need to sit in the backseat with other kids texting to each other.
Speaker 3: Oh, when they're sitting right next to you.
Speaker 2: Got this, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: Send them off to the army for one year when they get out of college.
Speaker 3: The army doesn't work for everyone.
Speaker 1: I don't care gives you discipline. It does, but gives your discipline. I love discipline.
Speaker 3: I do wish I was in the army at some because most.
Speaker 1: People will not hold themselves accountable and they blame mummy and daddy for all their issues. Time to stop blaming mummy and daddy. This is Cindy stumbling and listen Toughest Nails on WBZ. We'll be right back and welcome back to Toughest Nails on WBZ. And I've been here with Jesse Foster, and I've been here with the most amazing district Attorney Marion Ryan that we love very much that comes on the show.
Speaker 2: Miriam. Tell people how they can reach and help you or your causes. Please sure.
Speaker 4: Please go to our website Middlesex da dot com. You can see more information about our programs. You can find out about job opportunities in our office and one of the best things we do is our internship program. So you can just tabs for all of that.
Speaker 3: Beautiful.
Speaker 1: Do you have to give yourself like just a pat on the back, Like everything you've done for this community incredible.
Speaker 2: You're just not a DA. This is not DA's work.
Speaker 1: DA's work is to prosecute, not to give back to the communities. The way you're doing this is what you love best.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: Okay, folks, have a great, safe weekend. This is Cindy Snumble. We'll see you next weekend. Make it a safe one.