Speaker 1: Welcome to Veterans Chronicles. I'm Greg Corumbus. Our guest in this edition is Sergeant Robert Day. He's a US Marine Corps veteran of the Iraq War. He served two deployments in Iraq and fought in the vicious house to house second Battle of Fallujah in November and December of two thousand and four. He was a machine gunner with the first Battalion, eighth Marines. Sergeant Day was born in Mobile, Alabama. Both of his grandfathers served in the Army, including one who served during World War II. Day explains why he chose to serve as well, and despite that Army heritage, why he enlisted in the Marine Corps.
Speaker 2: I joined in January two thousand and two. That's when my active service started. I joined because I wanted to do something greater than myself nine to eleven, and I obviously already happened four months prior. I was in college at the time, and I wasn't doing too well academically, and I was twenty one year old, pretty angry at the way things were going with the country and what had happened. And I always wanted to be a Marine grunt anyway. I had read books growing up on World War Two and Vietnam service, and was just enamored with the stories of battles from Waye City, Vietnam, Battle of the Bulge, the Pacific Island Campaign that the Marines took part in, and that's something that I wanted to continue the tradition of and so that's why I joined. I joined because I wanted to shoot a belt fed machine gun in the company of other great men.
Speaker 1: You joined with your eyes wide open?
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 1: And did you do your basic at Paras Island? I did tell me about that. Boy.
Speaker 2: We started in January of two. It was cold there on the East coast. Had three drill instructors that we met first day and they were heavy on us. Gosh, we had probably eighty in our barracks. We were up at three thirty am every morning for revily. Somebody, you know, drill instructor came in with a baseball bat or a cane and he was rattling it in a metal trash can to get us up. We started the day heavy with physical physical activity, exertion, drilling, digging our heels into a concrete deck, and learning anything and everything about how to be a recruiting in the Marines, it was moment to moment. There wasn't a single second during the day that you had to yourself. You were always being taught book knowledge and learning about side to be a marine recruit, and and there was more physical physical exertion and push you up and pull up and mountain climbers and you name it. So we were we were constantly on the go, constantly being force fed information, physical activity, and food.
Speaker 1: It's said that the Marines and basic training break you down and then build you back up into the marine that they want you to be. Do you remember that particular point where either they broke you or you figured out, this is why I'm going through all.
Speaker 2: This I did? I mean that that was a daily that was a daily reassurance and thought that went through my mind. There was always the idea of why why am I here? What am I doing this for? I know I joined for a reason, and there's no turning back, and it's time to succumb to everything that's that I'm learning and that I'm doing. And uh, there was always the feeling of being stripped to your core, both physically and mentally. I mean, it really is a ninety plus percent mental game that you need to overcome. And there's certain things in your mind that you can remember from your past civilian life that comfort you. Whether it be a song that you liked, or a family activity or just being with friends, or something that you enjoyed doing that you can remember and play in your mind during those times that you're being stripped in the in boot camp and you're doing those those monotonous activities that you know you constantly learn and you know, you know in the short days ahead.
Speaker 1: After Basic, where did they send you?
Speaker 2: I went straight to School of Infantry at Camp Geiger, North Carolina, which is adjacent to Campbu's Union, North Carolina. And so that's the East Coast Infantry Training School, and that was that was Camp Geiger.
Speaker 1: Is that where they got you on your out fed machine gun?
Speaker 2: That's where that's where I started training for it. Yes, Sir, started in Bravo Company UH in this rather odd looking building we referred to as the mushroom. It had it had a stem to it with with stairs and then you went up and then it it bellowed out like a mushroom and then there was an office up there. But but outside of that was the deck where we where we trained and formed up every day. And then we of course had barracks right next to that, so uh, it's it's a rather famous location for you know that that scores of men and women have trained at over the over the decades.
Speaker 1: And then did you have specific training for Iraq such as urban combat situations? Maybe not at that school, but at some point before you deployed.
Speaker 2: We did, we did, we we got I mean, the School of Infantry was pretty basic in terms of learning weapons systems and gaining your and learning your mo os and get time. For me was on the M two forty machine gun and the Mark nineteen machine gun and the fifty cal machine gun. But eventually when I got to my unit in August of two was when was when we started to do more urban training like mount training and eventually some SASSO training out in California just before you know, our much later deployment.
Speaker 1: What was it about those weapons that you felt drawn to them, that that's what you wanted to be using in war.
Speaker 2: I grew up watching a lot of World War Two movies at my grandparents' house and listening to my dad tell stories that he had read in books about World War two, and I learned a lot about John basilone and his great courage on the battlefield and as the leader of a machine gun section. And I watched old videos of Vietnam shooting them sixty belt fed guns, and I was just captivated by the rate of fire, the bursts that they put out, how tight you can get your groups if you're really good, both conventionally and unconventionally, and just the amount of damage in the annihilation they do on the enemy is incredible. And I particularly was drawn to the medium machine gun, which is what we were referred to it as. That's the seven point six y two by five to one millimeter gun, and it was the successor to the sixty that I believe was used up until about the early nineties and still some today.
Speaker 1: At what point did you get assigned to Alpha Company of the one eight.
Speaker 2: I arrived at Alpha Company one eight in August of two.
Speaker 1: When did you deploy to Iraq?
Speaker 2: We deployed shortly after that in March of three was when we left. We took some we took some transportation up to Little Creek, Virginia, which is where the USS Carter Hall was waiting, and we loaded up on that boat and along with the USS Nashville and the USSC Regima, we we parted out of there. At some point, I want to say early March, the war kicked off.
Speaker 1: And tell us about that first deployment in Iraq.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was. It was a Sea Service deployment. We we crossed the across the Atlantic, entered the Mediterranean. We hit some ports in Europe such as Toronto, Italy. We went to Greece. We went to the island of Crete and there we had some liberty in the town and we got to get on our feet, walk around, get some food, and then we ended up at a hangar in Crete where my company posted up lived for I want to say a few days, maybe it was a week or two, and then we flew out to Mosuil, Iraq for the following two weeks in April of three.
Speaker 1: What were your duties in Mosul?
Speaker 2: We pulled security at the airfield there. We did a few patrols out on the city. We pulled some security on the rooftops and that was about the extent of it.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: Rather, there was maybe one small skirmish that one of our snipers had gotten into, but it was not significant. In our eyes at least, although we were a presence there generally.
Speaker 1: So when you came home before the second deployment, what were you focusing on in training?
Speaker 2: Oh, when we came home. Let's see, we arrived back at Campbell's Union in October of three, and we started immediately building up to our second deployment. I mean, we hit the ground running when we got back after our ten day block leave. We did all kinds of stuff. We did some sea service training such as asak AX and RGAX is what we call them, where we would take the boats, the ships that we were deployed on. We would go out and we would get on the amtraks and we would float into the beaches and land and do some land training. We went to the ranges a lot and shot the M two forties and the fifties and the Mark nineteens, and of course went to the rifle range with all the other Marines in our and our platoons and companies and spent plenty of time there. Uh. Starting in two thousand and four in the spring was when we started doing what General mattis Uh and his and his colleagues would call sasso training. UH, and that was Uh. It was definitely some urban training, you know, house clearing, UH, some limited close quarters combat training within enclosed structures and UH and what they called winning hearts and minds of the locals in Iraq. And so it was a hybrid. It was a combination of both of those things. We used some simulation rounds in our mount training back at Camp La June, which was some paintball rounds, and everything else was really ground fighting. We did quite a bit of that. They ramped up the Marine Mixed Martial Arts program. We learned all kinds of tactics within our belt systems, the Tan Belt, the Great Belt, the Green Belt, Brown Belt, you know, arm bard takedowns, all kinds of tactics like guillotines, and that was some of the most memorable and helpful hand to hand combat training that we did that.
Speaker 1: Sergeant Robert Day, he's a US Marine Corps veteran of the Iraq War who served in the Second Battle of Fallujah in late two thousand and four. Still Ahead, Sergeant Day takes us through the Battle of Fallujah in vivid detail. But when we come back, it's back to Iraq for the second deployment and getting ready for the difficult fight in Fallujah. I'm Greg Corumbus and this is Veterans Chronicles.
Speaker 2: Sixty seconds of Service.
Speaker 3: This sixty seconds of Service is presented by T Mobile. T Mobile offers exclusive discounts for a veteran and military families and are proud supporters of the National Defense Network. Visit T mobile dot com slash military to learn more about how they support our military community. From Kuratuck, North Carolina, more help is now available for veterans in northeast North Carolina. Donald Austin is a Navy veteran. He said he's had a problem with his left knee for years. He said, can't get it taken care of. The Navy doesn't want to touch it, said Austin. That could change, though, thanks to Robert Kane. Cain is a Coast Guard veteran and now the Veteran Services Officer for Camden and Kuratuk County. He said, no better way to continue my second career after military retirement to serve the community and help vets deal with the VA. Today's sixty seconds of Service is brought to you by Prevagen. Prevagen is the number one and pharmacist recommended memory support brand you can find prevagent and the vitamin Aisle in stores everywhere.
Speaker 1: This is Veterans Chronicles. I'm Greg Corumbus. Our guest in this edition is Sergeant Robert Day. He's a US Marine Corps veteran of the Iraq War, serving as a machine gunner with the first Battalion, eighth Marines. After one largely quiet deployment to Iraq in two thousand and three, Day and the other Marines in his unit returned to the US and were soon engaged in much more intense training for their next tour. By the summer of two thousand and four, they were on their way back.
Speaker 2: We headed back in June of four after our ten day leave, and we jumped on a commercial plane and it flew over.
Speaker 1: So knowing that this deployment is going to be a lot different than the first one. What's going through your mind here? Obviously, you joined the Marines in order to fight for your country, and you're ready for it. But at the same time, this is really going to happen. Did did you think much about that on the way over?
Speaker 2: I did? I did? I had I had studied up on oh I f two uh, just looking at magazine articles that were that were just coming out, specifically in April of four prior to our leave on that second deployment, because while we were doing SASSO training out in California four O I F two UH, the first battle of Felujah had kicked off in April. I remember over hearing some Marines while we were training saying, yeah, Marines are tearing up Fallujah right now. And so I read an Atlantic Monthly article on it and showed some pictures of some grunts with their weapons in Fellujah on the outskirts, and they didn't they didn't go inside the city, but they had scraped the outside and taken some casualties and certainly certainly eliminated a lot of the enemy. I felt good, I felt motivated, I felt excited and just downright excited to be with, you know, all my comrades for that deployment. I knew it was going to be big.
Speaker 1: When did you find out that it's happening, and it's happening soon.
Speaker 2: Well, we got there in June. We spent a lot of the summer of four patrolling around Haditha Dam and doing patrols in the desert around little towns like hit and Rahwa and Habania, and it was it was extremely hot, and we didn't encounter any enemy. We didn't have any resistance other than some IED's and so I remember my vehicle was hit with an IED as I was in the gun turret one day in the lead vehicle and the convoy, and and it shook me up. It really rang my bell. Although none of us were hurt. We we just felt the fog of war immediately right there and thought, well, this is real, something's coming because everybody's talking. Lieutenant Malcolm, Lieutenant Barnes, they were, they were rolling down some talk that the heat was coming in the nearby city somewhere.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And we we knew quite well that it was going to be Fallujah as we were close to that where we were stationed at all Sade.
Speaker 1: What kind of instructions were you given just prior to the battle about what your company, what you're put in we're going to be assigned to do. As the battle began.
Speaker 2: We knew we were going to be involved in it because General Mattis told us that. Well, he got us into a facility on base at all Sade, and he gave us a speech that was significant. It was it was historic and it was. It was motivation. It was this is what's going to be happening in the combat theater in Iraq and Fallujah particularly, and his presence was was when we knew it was it was coming, was when a battle was going to happen. And I believe he told us that it was going to be as significant as the Battle of Waste City in Vietnam in nineteen sixty eight. And I remember, I remember him telling us that the first time he had killed somebody was in Vietnam, and I was just proud to be listening to him because we knew we were going to be going up against a terrible enemy that needed to be eliminated. And so that was also the part of the fog of war that was real.
Speaker 1: All right, So tell me about Well, first of all, tell me about the bombardment before you guys went flying in there, the Shakanaw aspect of.
Speaker 2: Right, we lived at Camp Fallujah for about I want to say, a week to ten days before we went into the city. There were some mortar rounds that landed in and around the base, and it was very close to the city. I mean we're literally talking about a quarter mile maybe half a mile or less. On the night of November ninth, we posted up outside outside of Fallujah on the north side at night, and our entire battalion was told that we were going to be going right through the center of the city north to south on foot meckt up with support from tanks and artillery in the rear and air assets and everything else that accompanies marines on foot. So we spent the night prior to November tenth outside of that city literally watching over the buildings and the high rises about of what our artillery was doing. They were dropping rounds that exploded midair that had white phosphorus in them, and they would literally rain down molten chemicals to soften up the enemy and kill them. We also watched line charges being detonated. A line charges is basically a long charge charge of explosives that is intended to make other IEDs improvise explosive devices blow up, you know, before we encounter them and they take us out. So, I mean, we just we watched incredibly large fireballs explode and that was meant to help us out before we went in. And then we saw the BBC crews right in front of us outside of the city getting ready to accompany us, and all was quiet before we before D Day on November tenth.
Speaker 1: That Sergeant Robert Day, a US Marine Corps veteran of the Iraq War and the Second Battle of Fallujah. When we come back, it's time to fight in Fallujah, and Sergeant Day shares his gripping account of the battle, from the first moments through the intense house to house fighting. I'm Greg Corumbus, and this is Veterans Chronicles. This is Veterans Chronicles. I'm Greg Corumbus. Our guest in this edition is Sergeant Robert Day. He's a US Marine Corps veteran of the Iraq War serving as a machine gunner with the first Battalion, eighth Marines. After all the preparation that Day and his fellow Marines did for the fight in Fallujah, it was finally time to do it. Day and the other Marines in his company were among those tasked with advancing two and securing the Mayor's Complex as the fight began. Day now takes us moment by moment through the fighting and the mindset needed for a battle so relentlessly intense.
Speaker 2: Right we were in the we were in the amtraks, floaded up with guns and ammunition and frags and everything else we carried and packed in there pretty tight. And we were rolling in and you could just hear. All you could hear were the tracks, uh, the sound of the tracks going, and and that that that usual whine of the diesel machine, you know, that pushes that track. And nobody was talking inside, and you know, everybody just put some dip in their mouth, and and we waited and waited, and time went by. We would stop and then go again until everybody pushed forward. And we finally got to where we got to that Mayor's complex and it was dark still. It was zero four when they dropped the ramps or so. And I remember I was with I was in the same track as Bradley Faircloth and my team leader and a few others and probably ten or fifteen others in that track, and they dropped the ramp, and some guys that were in faircloths fireteam Smith and Meadows and and Matthews, they were all together. They dropped the ramp and Faircloth had been talking about how he wanted to wanted to get an ak as a souvenir. He wanted an ak forty seven you know, the enemy's rifle and uh. And as the ramp dropped, they all were about, they were all running out of the back of the track and they all toppled over each other and fell on the ground, fell on the deck, and they stumbled out of there, and uh, and the sun came up, and you know, they were they were dead bodies strewn about from there that you know, the the bombs that had dropped, you know, from our air assets. And uh, the sun came up a little bit and fair Claus found a found a dead body with an ak and he grabbed it and he goes, oh shit, it's bent up. The barrels bent. And then after that we we were right there at the Mayor's complex and we you know, we got on the rooftop and posted up and the sun came up and and it was on from there.
Speaker 1: Talk about that. How are you set up? You mentioned the roof but the enemies awake now and there they're coming at you. So set the scene for us and explain what what you're doing.
Speaker 2: At this point, we went in through the back of the complex. It was it was basically a square block that had a large opening of just ground dirt in the middle, and then surrounding it were buildings in the perimeter, and so in the rear of the complex was where we posted of I believe that was on the north side. And we just got up on one of the rooftops of one of the buildings and it was the first building we picked. It wasn't any rhyme or reason for why we picked it, and it turned out to be a rather exposed position. It was just flat. I mean, there was a lip on the outer edge of that complex rooftop we were on, but there was no cover. There was some cinder blocks you could have used to move around. I put I put my two forty belt fed gun on the edge and just kicked up the bipods on it, and rounds started flying in. I mean they were coming from other higher that were directly ahead of us, that were probably five hundred yards away, I want to say, about five hundred meters, and then there were some minarets behind that that were more or less like mosque towers. There were some snipers in there, and there were bullets that were being I mean we could hear snaps and crackles and pops, like just whizzing right past our heads. The whole city was just rubbled, especially where we are, you know, from bombs that were being dropped from us. And there was rebar sticking out of the roof. I remember, you know, maybe it went up about ten or fifteen twenty feet high and it was just bear and I remember bullets pinging off of it, like just bullets whizzing and pinging off of it. It sounded like a bell, you know. And that happened throughout the day on November tenth, on that D Day, and I have myself and my teamly Healy with me, and UH I would send around. I would send bursts of fire, UH support support by fire over across into a high rise into windows where we saw muscle flashes coming out of and UH the enemy was was hiding mainly, you know, they were taking covering concealment and shooting at us. I remember mortars falling and exploding all around the Mayor's Complex roof we were on about mid morning. I remember second Platoon, Alpha Company, positioning themselves on a rooftop just forward of our position. So they were on a rooftop in the Mayor's Complex also, but they were closer to the enemy and they were taking fire, and they were they were firing eighty four rocket launchers into windows because they were closer and they were hitting. They were hitting the enemy and blowing and you know, making explosions and killing them. And so I would provide support by fire over their heads, and they were pretty frightened about that. I think. I want to say, my my bursts of fire were probably I don't know, twenty thirty feet above their head, just to give you a picture of what the scene was like. At one point, I want to say, one of our one of our aircraft was intending to drop a five hundred pound bomb on the enemy, and it actually landed pretty close to us, and it missed the enemy and it exploded. I mean, it landed on the street right by the building we were on. It was it was it was really bizarre the bar. I mean you could see the bomb hit the ground and then it sunk into the concrete of the street. It landed on the street, and then there was this delay of maybe five seconds, and then it was like slow motion. I looked over after I squeezed off a burst of fire, and the massive portions of street and concrete would would go up into the air and some guys in second Platoon were wounded from that, and uh so it was just it was just part of the heart, the horrific you know, the horrific outcomes of combat and things that happened. It was hell. I could feel it coming on. Some of our guys in third Platoon had had killed some of the enemy in the street right around the complex. I mean some of the enemy were would be seen walking around with aks, sneaking around the side of buildings and they would just slight them up and kill them right there. And so it was a long day. It was the beginning of our finest hour, and it was on.
Speaker 1: How did you push out of the complex and keep moving south with that kind of enemy intensity.
Speaker 2: November tenth went on and we got we displaced off that rooftop. We had lost our lieutenant, Lieutenant Malcolm, and we ran over to another building, a small office building which was one story, and we sat on the ground floor and just waited in that building. I remember, yeah, our squad our platoon, third platoon was there and we were about to push. I could feel it coming. We were minutes away, and I pulled out a can of dip out of my pocket and I told my I told one of my superiors, I said, hey, I'm gonna go I'm gonna go into this office room next door and just have a dip and get about five minutes to myself. So I went in there and just said some prayers and had some had had a moment alone, and then I rejoined the rest of the rest of the Marines I was with. And I want to say it was about four or five o'clock by then, and it was winter days, so the days were shorter. Night was coming, but we still had still had probably two hours of daylight. And then at that point we pushed across Route fran We bounded, you know, one man after the other, and I mean bullets were flying everywhere. It was loud machine gun fire, enemy machine gun fire, pkms ak's mortars were landing, a lot of yelling, a lot of screaming, a lot of orders being or being dealt, and and men were moving fast and and that's when it kicked off.
Speaker 1: Now, when it comes to the house to house fighting due to your weaponry, from what I understand, you were outside most of the time or maybe on top of depending on what the situation was. How was your role to find logistically as they as everybody's clearing the houses.
Speaker 2: That's right. Yeah, I carried my I carried my two forty in an unconventional sense. I mean it just used bipods and we didn't. I didn't bring in a tripod or traversing, an elevating mechanism which is used for more long distance and precision support by fire. I had it on a sling and uh and I carried it with a I had a hundred round belt to start in it. And you know, I carried two more hundred round belts with me on my person and had a few of my few of my few of my comrades carry other hundred round belts. So I was I was well supported. But I stayed. I stayed on the rooftops and in the alleys, and I kept watch around the houses where where our three eleven riflemen were going in and clearing rooms and hallways. And uh, there was there was resistance outside of the house as they were clearing rooms. I mean I got I got my first taste of what it was like to kill and kill an enemy combatant uh on. On the very first rooftop after the Mayor's Complex that I got on top of after we crossed that main route on D Day that afternoon. Really I provided more security after that, but that first rooftop was significant. Uh. We referred to it as Hadgi Alley and Hajji Alley was where a lot of our resistance was met right in the very beginning of the battle.
Speaker 1: So in addition to protecting the guys that are going into the houses, you're also kind of the eyes of the whole neighborhood, or at least as much as you can see from your vantage point right right right.
Speaker 2: I had obviously a fully automatic weapon to suppress and destroy the enemy. You know, snipers had bolt action rifles for more precision, long range shooting, so I complimented them well, and we took out enemy combatants in the streets in the alleys as we pushed south.
Speaker 1: What was your communication like, so if you know, the guys are in the house, and hey, we need a little more firepower over here.
Speaker 2: Right right. I usually I stayed in the rear of a stacks as marines went into the houses, and before they went in, I would go around and come to the front of the house and waste fire it into the house and usually do a six to eight round, burst to the right, to the left, to the right again and suppress to neutralize the house, provide some psychological terror on the enemy, if not kill them or wound them. So it was it was an efforts to shake them up before they went in immediately and and have some type of advantage. I mean it was. It was a gorilla tactic for use on our behalf too, just as they used on us. So it was. It was an unconventional battle in that sense. And my communication with my with my fire teams was was good, although you know, we had a lot of we made a lot of mistakes too that cost us.
Speaker 1: What kind of damage does the two forty round do?
Speaker 2: Right? That seven six two round? Uh? It? It penetrates the walls. I mean the walls weren't weren't fortified, you know, they were they were glorified mud huts. They were brick, and they'd penetrate those structures pretty well, and they would they would go through walls really well.
Speaker 1: I have heard though, that you did do clearing on occasion, correct, yep.
Speaker 2: After after more, when we got to the south part of the city and in the middle of the city, I cleared a few houses used my nine mil my side arm, and we lost our rules of engagement.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: Towards the southern part of the city, we weren't allowed to use automatic fire fully automatic fire anymore because all our friendlies were in such close proximity that we had to use point target weapons.
Speaker 1: So, yes, what's it like entering a house when you know there's enemies there and you're not completely quite obviously on the layout. If it's the first time you've been there, they've got a little bit of an advantage, and maybe even more of an advantage. How do you get that advantage back?
Speaker 2: Well, the enemy was cowardly. They used their own gorilla tactics against us. They would board up, they would put curtains over the windows, and they would hide from us and keep the sunlight out. So when we entered the houses, it was completely blacked out and dark, and they'd be hiding in the corner with PKM belt fed gun just pointed right at the door, and that's usually when that's when people would get it killed and hurt. So we learned quick that that all of our conventional tactics didn't really work. You know, we could throw frags in the windows, we threw frags through the doorways, down chimneys. We called in tanks. We sent some tank crowns in that would basically just obliterate the house and cause a shock to all the bodies inside. We'd fire Mark nineteen fully automatic grenade launchers at them at the houses through the windows. We'd run D nine bulldozers right over the house at one point and just crush everybody inside. I mean, at one point we were we were yelling at him from outside of the house and they would respond a lotac bar and you know, we knew they were inside, and it was a trap, you know they had They had all kinds of booby traps inside that we weren't about to waste human assets on. So when we knew they were inside, I mean a lot of times we would kill them with point target weapons and grenades, and other times we would just send a tank round in or a javelin missile.
Speaker 1: That's Robert Day, a US Marine Corps veteran of the Iraq War and the Second Battle of Fallujia Still to Come. Day explains how the Marines and their enemies adjusted their tactics as the battle continued, and he describes losing one of the most beloved Marines in his platoon. I'm Greg Corumbus, and this is Veterans Chronicles. This is Veterans' Chronicles. I'm Greg Corumbus. Our guest in this addition is Sergeant Robert Day. He's a US Marine Corps veteran of the Iraq War and the Second Battle of Fallujah. In just a moment, Day articulates the pain of losing a beloved member of his platoon and the bomb that still exists inside that platoon twenty years later. But first, Sergeant Day explains how the Marines and their enemies adjusted their tactics as the battle for Fallujah unfolded.
Speaker 2: They had spider holes that they dug in between each house that they would disappear into and go into a house that we had already cleared, or move forward to another house that we hadn't cleared. It was a constant game of whack them all. We didn't know where they were, and unless we saw them during the day peeking out of an alley or a courtyard, and somebody would shoot him right in the head or in the chest. And they were tricky. They'd come out at night. Sometimes we didn't recount a lot of resistance at all at night time, but we killed them when we saw him.
Speaker 1: Did you come under fire much from your position normally on the rooftops?
Speaker 2: I did, I did, yeah that first day. That first day, we got up on that first rooftop in Hajji Alley and uh I ran. I ran through the door, the main door of the house, along with a lot of a lot of guys, probably about probably nine or ten marines went through that hatch in the first in the first house in Hajji Alley. We I remember, I remember running through that first house and looking in the side of the little entryway to the door, and there were some RPG warheads at the enemy used in a backpack that was that was leaning up against the wall, So we knew there were some people inside, but there actually weren't. I mean, we cleared it. We immediately ran upstairs to the elevated rooftop, and on this particular rooftop there was there was a wall maybe like four or five feet high, probably about three or about four four feet high that everybody propped their weapons up on. I propped my two forty up on it, and and we had a lot of snipe up there too. Some guys from Stay were up there with us. Ergo was up there with us, and my team leader, Healey, and I mean, we immediately just started taking fire right we could. I could see straight down a street. We were directly above a street that I could see straight down, and there were guys shooting at us from that street, out in the middle of the street, just shooting at us with aks. There was another street that was perpendicular to the street that I was looking down that we were looking down, and I remember seeing I remember seeing this large, this really big fat guy running down the street. He was an enemy combatant and he had RPG warheads in his backpack and he was running from something. He was running from an Army Bradley tank that was firing a Bushmaster machine gun at him, a big twenty five millimeter fully automatic gun that slow rate of fire. And he was running. I could see the tracers following him, and he could they weren't hitting him. And I aimed right in at him and I shot him, and I crumbled him and he fell. He didn't get back up. And then I looked closer into the street and there was it was filled with smoke down below. I mean, that guy was at about one hundred and twenty five hundred and fifty yards and then closer to us in the street. Right after that incident was multiple enemy in the middle of the street, hiding behind walls and standing in the middle of the street firing at us. I could see muscle flashes. Martinez, we called him Marty, he was also next to us. He directed my fire into a window and then I looked back down on that street and I hit somebody that one of our one of our stay guys, had just shot, and he looked over. That stay guy looked over at me and goes, I got him, and uh, and then I shot him again as he was moving around on the ground. And then Lee, another guy from our platoon looked at me and he goes, you got him. So there was that, There was that come, There was that communication and that bravado about what we were actually doing. What we were actually there to do was was annihilate the enemy. And that's what we did right there on Hanjie Alley and I remember feeling like getting popped in the face by little bitty pieces of concrete from enemy bullets coming in and hitting the walls, and it felt so it felt so real that we were, that we were in it. I mean, I felt like I had been training my whole life for that moment, and I knew that any moment, I could just get zipped, I could get killed. And it was frightening and surreal and exciting, and I just remembered so.
Speaker 1: Well as you guys progressed, how frequently are you moving positions, disassembling and moving to the next rooftop?
Speaker 2: You know, we moved constantly. We stayed at some specific places for a day before before somebody was wounded and had to be metavact, and then we would bound over to a different location. I mean, we stayed at this one location called the Alamo that we later called the Alamo for about I want to say, most of a day, and we took some fire from that house and we gave it back, and we had some really close calls up on that rooftop, aside from three of our marines getting wounded and being sent out. So we moved, we stayed. It was a mix of everything, but the push was on and we didn't stop till we got to the southern part, which was Queen's Queens District in Fallujah.
Speaker 1: Talk a little bit about the Alamo and what happened on the roof that day as the enemy was firing in the RPG. Where were you positioned and how close were you to the impact point?
Speaker 2: I was on the roof with everybody else. I mean it may have been about probably about a thirty or forty feet by the same thirty or forty feet and you know, in the area surface area, So it gives you an idea of our platoon. We had about what fifteen twenty five marines on that rooftop that day. And I remember certain times where I was on the outskirts of that rooftop propped up on a wall. Fire and burst of fire into the city and where I thought they were coming from, and I mean they were snipers everywhere they were hidden. And I remember seeing bullets spinning on the deck of that roof, enemy bullets that had landed, and they were just spinning out of control right in front of your face. I remember the same bits of concrete hitting my face as I did in Halji Alley. I remember seeing our artillery rounds in the distance on the street and on the ground land and not explode, and just bizarre things like that. I remember at one point talking to Lieutenant Barnes, and he had his rto Duran with him and I was right in front of him in the middle of the rooftop, and I remember picking up a bullet and enemy bullet and showing it to him. I said, that's a dragon off Rouncer. And and then right after that, I believe it was when that RPG came in and wounded three of ours, Fox, Martinez and Leo. I remember going down to UH. I grabbed Ergo and he and I went down to the balcony below. So that was the second roof, the second roof. We were on second story, and then we went down to a balcony below that and there was the same you know wall, maybe two or three feet high, and Ergo got down into the Indian style position and he had a two oh three grenade launcher on his M sixteen, and he was lobbing rounds into the nearby area a couple of hundred meters away, and I was I was spot and for him, and I was standing up in a doorway and I remember hearing a loud snap pop, and I looked right next to me, and you know, there was a round that impacted right next to my groin on the doorframe that I was standing in, and I immediately hit the deck and it was pretty frightening. And then we returned fireing after that we were exposed. We were sitting ducks at the Alamo, and we stayed there for most of the day and eventually moved.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Bradley the Faircloth a couple of times. Now, first of all his hunt for the souvenir and being lost around Thanksgiving of two thousand and four. What happened that day and where were you in proximity to that happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Faircloth was fearless, he really was. I mean, there's always there's always one, two, three marines you know, around in each platoon that that want the enemy dead a little bit more than everybody. Everybody was hungry to kill the enemy. We were all starving for it. And and but Faircloth displayed that he was Nobody was going to get ahead of him in a stack to clear a room. Nobody was going to be able to kill an enemy before he did. He would literally push you out of the way. He would he would tackle you to get get you out of the way so he could get get up there. I mean, there were so many skirmishes between Hadji Ali and the Alamo and South Queens that that I can recount fighting the enemy alongside faircloth and in him displaying his courage.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: But I was right there with him with his fire team when he when the day he was killed, we were clearing houses. I want to say. It was towards the end of the city between the Alamo and South Queens, and Uh, I was outside of the house pulling security, looking down the alleys and streets, making sure nobody crossed over or expose himself. And we had a more three eleven riflemen up on rooftops nearby, also doing overwatch from elevated positions. And they entered the house and immediately he was he was the front man in the stack, and and he kicked down a door and he immediately all I heard was a long burst of machine gun enemy machine gun fire. And uh, that's when I knew something was bad was going on. And they stayed in the house and fought the enemy for a short period. And I later came to find out that the two or three two or three enemy combats had jumped out the window in the back of the house and fled and they were cut down and killed by some of our marines from our platoon up on that rooftop, and then doctor Ponti and Meadows and Matthews and Smith. They drug him out, drug faircloth out of that house, one arm at a time. One was on one arm, one was on the other, dragging him out. And I immediately got up and ran around to the front of that courtyard entrance and saw him come out, and his whole face was just was bleach white and lifeless. In his head was bobbing, and it was just I knew he was dead. There was no blood though, I mean, he had his flat jacket on, and I think that enemy machine gun was pointed right at his chest, and that flat jacket had held in, you know, it more or less plugged up blood flow. And it was just it was bizarre the way I saw him, because he had been so full of life and so full of courage in the days before, and vigor and tenacity to slaughter the enemy, and he wasn't anymore. And that hurt real bad because he was from my hometown. You know, I saw future there, but that was it. He zipped him up in a body bag and took him off and we pressed on.
Speaker 1: How do you press on? After that?
Speaker 2: You know, a lot of things were going through my mind. I mean I grew up probably about seven blocks from Bradley in downtown Mobile, Alabama, And I mean he played in my neighborhood as we were growing up. I never actually knew him, but I knew the kid that lived across the street from me that he would stay with and play backyard football with and all that, And I just I wanted to be friends with him even after the core and you know, have a beer with him in a bar and talk about talk about hilarious times and hard times and combat and how do I press on? I mean I befriended his mom, Kathleen, after that deployment. We met her at the service at the memorial service on Campbell June and about February five, And I mean, from then on, it's been a it's been a wonderful relationship. My mom and her and her have been good friends in town in Alabama, and we have annual dinners together during the holidays, and she's just a wonderful person and we love her.
Speaker 1: Where were you when you heard that the battle had been declared over? And what was your reaction.
Speaker 2: Uh. We We were in the south part of the Flujah in Queens District, and we were at a fob that we had stayed in I want to say, for about a week and right around Thanksgiving, well Thanksgiving Day was the day before Faircloth died. He died on the twenty sixth, I believe. And then after that, come early December, we pulled out of that fob and we went back to Camp Falloosia for a short stint, and it wasn't long after that till we went back to Ala Sade, which is the bigger base, stayed there, and then we flew out to Cherry Point, North Carolina on that commercial flight and that was it. I'll tell you one thing, the flight back wasn't nearly as fun as the flight over. The commercial flight to Kuwait City for that deployment, it was just exciting, and the one back was pretty somber and as as not as exciting.
Speaker 1: Talk about the bond that still exists. You mentioned the relationship you have with Kathleen Faircloth and even she and your mom are good friends. Now now twenty years after the battle, how would you describe the bond that still exists between you and the other guys and as pretend.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's incredible, It's great. I mean, especially this year at our twentieth anniversary year, I've really reconnected with a lot a lot of men that I served with in our platoon particularly, and I mean I met up with Paul Smith from Fair cous Fire Team just this past April back in Alabama where I live, where I'm from, and we went we had some we had a week at the beach with his family as well as Kathleen, And I mean, I've reconnected with so many people over the phone via text, and I've kept up with with a lot of them, you know, in the early years, like Mike Rgo. You know, I've done some done some backpacking trips with him out west in California, and we've just done some adventurous things that you know, we're sort of a spin off of all our physical training in the Marine Corps together and uh, just more adventurous, fun type stuff that that that are challenging. And so I mean that's there's been camaraderie with that. I've had some marines out to Colorado where I currently live, to climb mountains, and so it's just it's been it's been exciting, and we've carried on that tradition.
Speaker 1: Last question for you, Robert, what are you most proud of from your time in the Corps.
Speaker 2: I'm most I'm most proud of what I put in. I think that one thing I learned from my time in the Corps was that you get out what you put in. And it's largely a mental game, but then it's also largely a physical game. And I didn't I didn't reap any any injuries while I was in, and it was just it felt good to physically push myself past what I thought I could do in my mind. You know, I wasn't perfect. I didn't I wasn't the best leader. I wanted to be a gunner, particularly, and that billet was pretty much where I stopped right before the Battle of Flujah and of course in the months and year after it until I got out. So I was happy with that. And I'm just proud that I became a machine gunner and was really proficient at it, and I was a good shooter, and I was a good marine two other Marines, and I got out what I put in.
Speaker 1: Robert Day is a US Marine Corps veteran who served in the Iraq War, including the Second Battle of Fallujah in November and December two thousand and four. I'm Greg Corumbus. Thank you for listening to Veterans Chronicles. Hi. This is Greg Corumbus, and thanks for listening to Veterans Chronicles, a presentation of the American Veterans Center. For more information, please visit American Veteranscenter dot org. You can also follow the American Veterans Center on Facebook and on Twitter We're at AVC update. Subscribe to the American Veterans Center YouTube channel for full oral histories and special features, and of course please subscribe to the Veterans Chronicles podcast wherever you get your podcasts. Thanks again for listening and please join us next time. Four Veterans Chronicles