Speaker 1: Somebody sent me something and wants to know if someone on the show wrote it.
Speaker 2: Sing it is to Missmanners. Hold on, here we go, dear mismanners. I have had season tickets. Who on the show wrote this season tickets?
Speaker 1: I have had season tickets to the orchestraiot. I have had season tickets to the orchestra for a couple of decades. For evening concerts, the orchestra wears white tie and women's soloists wear.
Speaker 3: Evening dresses fancy.
Speaker 1: For afternoon concerts, the soloists still wear evening dresses, and the men in the orchestra wear black suits, black shirts, and black ties. The musicians, who are women, however, wear an assortment of black clothes, from black slacks with a regular black shirt to an orchestra musician's traditional long black dress. In my opinion, some of the women look as though they should be turning on the TV and getting a big bowl of popcorn.
Speaker 2: Diane, who on the show would have written that?
Speaker 4: Tyler, Yes, the one who got excited about white tie.
Speaker 3: I never worn white tie.
Speaker 1: You, I don't even know what that is.
Speaker 5: Is that like a morning coat?
Speaker 3: It's gonna be like tails? And then everything I've never worn tails, so it's gonna be a white dress shirt, a white waistcoat or vest. The boat boat ties white that isen collar?
Speaker 2: Can I ask a question?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Is a is a What was the word that you said?
Speaker 3: I gave you?
Speaker 2: Yes? But what is? What was that word?
Speaker 3: Waistcoats? Waistcoats?
Speaker 2: Is that is that really what a vest is called?
Speaker 3: Ye's yeah, they'd interchangeable.
Speaker 1: Waistcoat when you when you say that, but then you say vest? Do you say vest like you're talking down to the peasants? I have on a waistcoat a vest?
Speaker 3: I should have just said waistcoat.
Speaker 2: I don't know what that is. Did you know what a waistcoat was?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: No, what avest is?
Speaker 4: I know what a vest is, but I didn't. I don't think I knew that waistcoat and vest were interchangeable.
Speaker 3: I've never heard of waistcoat, a waistcoat or vest in US and Canada. Sorry, should have just had a sleeveless upper body garment. Then you would know, Oh, yeah, I got sleeveless tease the Okay, so a waistcoat is a vest? Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, No, I've never worn a white what is it? White?
Speaker 3: Whitey? You said, you're in black or you're black tye optional this weekend.
Speaker 2: Thank you, which means I'll be wearing a regular suit. Yeah, I mean this is so white.
Speaker 5: It's high always is tails?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: Yes? No, no, yes, that's what it says.
Speaker 1: I thought, No, but when's the last time anybody wore tails?
Speaker 2: What problem were you at?
Speaker 3: Oh it's like a state dinner.
Speaker 1: You know, at the.
Speaker 5: That we've all been to, and or Thursday excuse.
Speaker 2: Me, mismanners.
Speaker 1: And that's what that's what they should be wearing at a Thursday matinee of the orchestra, not something that looks like a couch and a bowl of popcorn.
Speaker 3: Oh, she she said, white tie at the afternoon or matinee performances.
Speaker 2: No you would say that.
Speaker 3: No, No, I understand that you can dress down, but I also I totally understand what she's saying.
Speaker 2: Oh though, I even.
Speaker 3: You see it. It's been a while since I've gone to the orchestra. But I told you.
Speaker 5: Same.
Speaker 2: But have you ever been to an orchestra that that like a kid?
Speaker 5: Wasn't I'm sure somewhere over the years.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think that the right down the number, Write down the number you've been to and I'll write down the number that I've been to.
Speaker 2: Write it big so I can see it. I'm I'm gonna say, did you write yours down? Kristen? All right, hold them up on three, one, two, three zeros.
Speaker 5: I was I was trying to think.
Speaker 1: Like you at wait, what turn yourself off?
Speaker 5: High school band?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: High school? Like some kids, orchestra doesn't count.
Speaker 3: I've gone to two as an adult.
Speaker 2: What orchestra have you ever been to?
Speaker 3: There's an orchestra down the road to Strathmore. And then in Chicago, I went to see the Chicago Symphony.
Speaker 1: Well, and then in high school we did that doesn't count.
Speaker 3: We did field trips, we had to dress up.
Speaker 2: Oh did you go white ti?
Speaker 1: Or did you wear something that looks like black that you would grab with a bowl of popcorn?
Speaker 3: We went to watch the Cleveland Symphony.
Speaker 2: Oh, wow, you've done some.
Speaker 1: I know someone in the Washington Symphony Orchestra. God, I hope it's a man, and I have never seen her perform. I thought it was a woman. Well, what I was trying to say, yes, is that men are very limited in formal wear. So when it comes to a performance like this, and this could even extend to the audience because you know, I would complain more about those attending these shows versus those up on stage. Everyone's trying to adhere to a theme. But for men, it's like it's a suit. Whether it is the tuxedo with tails or it's a black suit, it's that's it. I mean for the orchestra, women's wardrobe choices are so vast. If you just have to wear black, you could wear a black blouse and like they said, didn't they say slacks like it. It lends the closet, lends itself to a versatility that's not there for the men. And also, wait a minute, are you saying like somebody in the audience has to wear a tux the orchestra.
Speaker 3: No, if maybe, if it's like something at a palace. No, no, no, no, I'm saying I'm surprised this person's okay with everyone because they said they've been a holder of season tickets for decades, they've seen a change in what the patrons are wearing. I can tell you that.
Speaker 2: You don't have to get dressed up for any of that.
Speaker 5: No you don't know, you don't symphony, Yeah you should get.
Speaker 1: Is that different than the orchestra. No, same thing, right, Symphony, it's the symphony orchestra.
Speaker 5: They're they're they're probably very specific ways that they're different.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like.
Speaker 5: Person thinks the.
Speaker 3: Same thing the cso right, the.
Speaker 5: Chicago Symphony Orchestra.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we always dressed that Cincinnati.
Speaker 4: She had her clubs, she had her bedazzled Ohio shirt on.
Speaker 3: So do I again?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: I'm sorry? Yes?
Speaker 3: Do I see where this writer? It's not me? Do I see where this this writer is coming from?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Is it worth putting pen to paper for?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 2: No, Who cares?
Speaker 3: Or is it? Are they worried it's a slippery slope, like soon it's going to be like rifted black jean shorts for the women and white tanks.
Speaker 2: But as long as it sounds good, who cares?
Speaker 3: Uh? Sure? I mean I expected that that the quality of the musicians hadn't decreased.
Speaker 2: No, No, But I'm saying I've never been to an orchestra. But if I went to the.
Speaker 1: What's another good sea, the Corpus Christie Symphony Orchestra, Dammit, the I wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't. I don't know what I would expect them to be wearing.
Speaker 1: But if I walked in and they were all wearing jeans and and like a button down, that wouldn't bother me.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't find that odd, I really would. Are they black jeans?
Speaker 4: The No?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Would that? Would that throw you off?
Speaker 4: I would think it would look out of place because you're used to seeing people like that wearing like nighttime attired women in dresses.
Speaker 5: No no, no, no.
Speaker 4: But like like a floor length of gollons most of the time. I would your friend in the National Symphony, I bet has a couple of very specific gowns that she.
Speaker 3: Wears, probably just for the evening shows.
Speaker 1: Yeah, during the day, it looks like she's got popcorn all over Elliot would know. No, No. The only the only thing that I feel like that, that you know, people dress up for is the ballet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, why would that be any different.
Speaker 1: Because like the band, Like, isn't there a band that plays to the ballet?
Speaker 3: The orchestra, I guess some band.
Speaker 2: Is there a band that performs in Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I guess some balants could be have like a track.
Speaker 2: They may.
Speaker 3: I don't know how big the operation is, but yes the orchestra, sure, okay, But they're but they're hidden unless they start. Sometimes you see this, and it may it's not just ballt but you'll see it in musicals and stuff where the orchestra is lowered into the pit so you see them at first, so they're not completely obscured for them.
Speaker 2: So that thing goes up and down. Yeah, I got you so at A.
Speaker 1: So if you work for the like the the Washington Symphony Orchestra, yeah.
Speaker 2: I should ask my friend, you have to you have to play for?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't I don't know what their requirements.
Speaker 2: Are, like do they have to do ballets and stuff? I have no idea.
Speaker 3: I don't know that. Like what's what's currently playing in town? Who is accompanying the the dancers at where I'm looking up here in DC? Like the Washington Ballet.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I was kind of narrating my own search. I wasn't asking you what is their current in the twenty twenty five twenty six season, Diane? What are they?
Speaker 2: I don't even know where they where do they act out of?
Speaker 3: Hold on?
Speaker 2: Is that the one on Wisconsin Avenue? The way Washington Ballet?
Speaker 3: Let's see here for events?
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, I'm gonna grab line two in the meantime, Hi, Elliet at the morning. Hi is this me? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Hi?
Speaker 2: Who's this? Hi? My name is Aaron, Yes, Aaron. Are you in the ballet or in the orchestra? What I was called? I am not, but I go Austin like every week and I wear a flip flops.
Speaker 3: And T shirts and people come in wearing whatever they.
Speaker 1: Want hold on much like a polo player. Tyler just suffered a heart attack. Wait did you like let me dissect that a little bit. You go to the symphony every week.
Speaker 2: I go to the Richmond Symphony.
Speaker 5: They were like fifteen dollars a ticket.
Speaker 3: It's like the cheapest date night ever.
Speaker 2: But do you like, are you into that kind of music?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: They did a whole like they did radio Head. They did a whole radio Head, they did Tupac, They do.
Speaker 3: All sorts of fun stuff.
Speaker 2: What does the what does the orchestra wear or the symphony?
Speaker 5: I mean they wear like black.
Speaker 2: Like like like dressed stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I mean some of the women wear like black blacks and like a black like.
Speaker 5: Shirt like a blouse.
Speaker 2: Right, it looks like they're eating popcorn. Hey, what is the I mean when you've dressed up before, but I usually atlan that's that's like fancy evening out.
Speaker 1: Who do you go with my friends and family?
Speaker 5: Like I sometimes we'll just get drunk and go wow.
Speaker 2: Wow, I thought they loved that. Good for you, Good for you? Do they know? Do they know you by name? No?
Speaker 3: But they do call me to try to get me to subscribe, like all the time.
Speaker 2: No, well that I believe going, I mean, customer.
Speaker 1: I was just wondering if you're one of those people that like, you're there every week and somebody like tune in a viola up there is like, oh great, there's drunk angie and or flip flops again.
Speaker 4: No, no, no, it's a wide nick.
Speaker 3: Some people are wearing textedos and some people are wearing jeans and tied our shirts.
Speaker 2: Wow, all right, very good, very good. I know which part of the crowd Tyler respects more?
Speaker 1: Are you?
Speaker 3: At least in the mezzanine. All I found was that the National Symphony Orchestra, especially during the holidays, So I'm assuming the Nutcracker.
Speaker 2: Oh they do the Nutcracker music, We'll do.
Speaker 3: It with the Washington Ballet. I don't know who's with them the rest of the year. Does that answer all your questions? I think let's see what's on the agenda for the Richmond Symphony. Serenades, some are serenades.
Speaker 2: Hey, everybody grab your pens again. I have another question.
Speaker 1: Let's write down number of ballet we've been to, not including children, Diane.
Speaker 3: I didn't see what either of you wrote. No, I just reinforced my.
Speaker 2: Last one two three, yees all zero, all zero.
Speaker 3: Seen the Nutcracker?
Speaker 5: I've never seen it in person.
Speaker 2: I have, I have.
Speaker 5: That's the ballet? Oh, switch it to one? No more than one?
Speaker 1: How many times did I see Michael do it?
Speaker 3: Michael who?
Speaker 5: Who? Michael who?
Speaker 2: Hitchcock? You don't know him?
Speaker 5: Is that your ballet's answer? Friend?
Speaker 2: Be No, But I'll tell you this.
Speaker 1: He went to school with is it my older one or my younger one? I can't remember if he's in a four or no. Six, But he went to school with one of my kids, and he went he got into ballet. He and so he was in the He was in the Nutcracker for a number of years.
Speaker 2: Fast forward, he got a full ride.
Speaker 3: Amazing.
Speaker 2: No to Rutgers as a cheerleader.
Speaker 3: That's great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, he's crushing it, crushing it. But he was in the he was in the he was in the Nutcracker for a number of years.
Speaker 3: But aren't you proud to have supported him and continued encouraging him. Yeah, well, look you he's now living a life that you helped water in a pot.
Speaker 2: I didn't do anything. I went to the show.
Speaker 5: That's supporting the arts and him as a performer.
Speaker 2: I supported him. Yeah, we went for him.
Speaker 3: You were booing the other dancers.
Speaker 2: I thought this was Swan like