Speaker 1: Welcome to the Dodger Talk. David Vase with you fresh off a Dodger Fest this past weekend. We had a great time out there. Thank you to all the players. Thank you to Wanderrado from the player relations staff bringing them by, setting them all up to come by in a very special thank you to Colin Yee. I forgot to thank Colin at the end of our broadcast, so here I am at the beginning of this one thanking Colin Yee for coming in on a Saturday. He does a great job producing our broadcast in the studio during the season, and we appreciate Colin and everything he does. We have a great show for you tonight. Kirby Yates is going to join us at seven point fifteen. At the bottom of the hour, you'll hear my conversation with Austin Barnes. We did not have a chance to get to him on Dodger Fest on Saturday, so you'll hear that conversation with the longest active tenured Dodger right now, there is no player on the Dodger roster that has been a Dodger longer than Austin Barnes. And I know what you're thinking, what about Clayton Kershaw. Well, Kershaw will be back, I would say in the next couple of weeks if I was a betting man, But for now it's Austin Barnes. He holds that distinction. And coming up also at the bottom of the hour, we'll give you an update on Freddie Freeman. But man, you know, I feel a lot of pressure to be positive on this show, and usually that's not an issue for me. I'm very positive the Dodger's coming off a World Series championship. You know, I was mocked for ball washing Blake Snell and everybody else on Petros and Money Show, But I have to give those guys some props because that must have been the most positive Petros and Money I have heard since probably the Parade in two thousand and nine. I mean, since Paul Gasol was on the Lakers. That's gotta be the most positive pro Laker Petros and Money Show I have heard since two thousand and nine. I mean, they are all in on Luca. It's funny though, how money is all in on Luca. But an NBA source gave me a great comparison. On top of telling me that Luca was beloved by his teammates. There was nobody on the team that didn't like Luca, but they brought up and brought to my attention that Luca is the point guard version of the two three four Shaquille O'Neal, where everybody complained that he wasn't in shape in December, but by the time playoffs rolled around, Luca and Shaq are always in shape for the playoffs. So I give it around this time next year where they're making fat jokes about Luca and they're soured on Luca right now, I mean they're all in on Luca now. I give it around this time next year where they're starting to poke holes and getting upset and ripping Luca. It may even happen tomorrow, but props to Petro some money. Always cynical, always cantankerous, a little condescending, but very positive today on their show. And I did enjoy them going after Bill Ryder. He was very difficult to work with and was not a great guy in the hallways. Anyway, let's get to the Dodgers. Andrew Friedman joined us during Dodger Fest, and I know there's been some reports out there or a report out there that the door is shut on Keith k Hernandez returning, as you know, listening to me here or watching on Sports net LA, I have maintained the Dodgers and Key k a Hernandez have a very clear path for a reunion, and I do not believe that the door is closed. You'll hear from Andrew Friedman on that topic. But also everybody wants to know when is hey Otani going to pitch? And before we get to when he might pitch in the regular season, I want to know whether or not we're going to see him pitch in Arizona, even on the backfields. What should be our expectations of what we see him do on the mound during the time at Camel Back Ranch.
Speaker 2: I don't know yet. You know, he's playing long toss and he will start progressing and advancing. I don't know yet as far as win he'll start facing hitters. We haven't figured that out. We want to get around him, be a part of a stowing program with our pitching guys, and you know, each and every day he's with our trainers right now, and you know he's kind of moving out of rehab phase and to go compete mode, and so exactly how that progresses we haven't figured out yet, but.
Speaker 1: There is a possibility a fan might be there on a Tuesday afternoon and see him maybe just pitch to somebody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe left handed or underhanded or something. Sure, Yeah, I don't I don't know when he's going to face hitters yet, but I do know he is going to pitch for us this year and be a big part of what we do on both sides of the ball.
Speaker 1: And that's a huge bonus to this pitching staff. I feel like we have undersold the fact the Dodgers are getting back one of the top pitchers in all a Major League Baseball as hard that as hard as that is to comprehend and wrap your head around. We're talking about one of the best hitters in baseball, as evident by the way he played last year, a fifty to fifty player first time in baseball history, MVP, and now they're going to get him back as a pitcher. And the beauty and the biggest advantage to having show Hey Otani, besides the obvious, is the fact that with the roster restrictions put in place by Major League Baseball as far as how many pitchers you can have on your roster. I believe it's thirteen shoey. Otani does not go into that bucket, so you essentially have an extra pitchure on your roster that no other team has. That's another caveat to all this. He does not count as one of the quote pitchers on your roster, and he's coming off to Tommy John surgeries. He's coming off left shoulder surgery. It's his back shoulder when he hits, so obviously the finish will not be as effective as it was for let's say Matt Kemp, a right handed hitter, or a Hanley Ramirez a right handed hitter. So that's a good positive right there. But the reality is, going back to Andrew Friedman's time in charge of the Dodgers, he does not emphasize April and May and even June as much as he is emphasizing July, August, and more importantly October for pitchers that you have to be slow played. Otani falls in that bucket. I would not anticipate seeing him be redline or push to the limit the first half of the season, even if he's on the mound in May. As Dave Roberts said after Andrews spoke to us, But look, the Dodgers want Otani when he counts the most. We saw what he did in the World Baseball Classic, not just striking out Mike Trout, but really leading Team Japan as a hitter and as a pitcher. So that's what the Dodgers have their sights on. They have well, they have more than enough starting pitching to get through the first half of the season. I feel like the most forgotten pitcher on this roster is Bobby Miller. Bobby Miller. I know I'm maybe a little partial.
Speaker 3: But.
Speaker 1: I believe in this guy. Still. I'm not giving up on Bobby Miller. And if you look at it, what are the guarantees that a guy like Tyler Glass now is going to start the season. Is he going to be behind? That still remains to be seen. Roki Sazaki, Again, the Dodgers are not going to rush Sazaki. They want to see what they got with him in spring training. And this is a six year development. It's not just about twenty twenty five. It's about making him and growing him from this point on and not being the guy that is counted upon to really lead this staff. I see Sazaki's role growing as the season goes along, but not necessarily. In March or April, Yamamoto missed several months with a shoulder injury. What's his status? How careful are the Dodgers going to be with him? So that's why the importance of Bobby Miller is greater than what anybody's talksity. He's a guy that you can count on. He's a guy that already has been working with the Dodgers in Arizona for two weeks. He's taken Bobby Miller under his wing as well. So, uh, I'm a big believer that the Dodgers need all these pitchers there. I don't really see that they have too much pitching to start the year, not to mention a guy like Tony Gonsolin, who is going to be probably a full go after the way he was able to come back towards the end of last year. So they have they have a lot of starting pitching, and they need a lot of starting pitching considering the question marks surrounding their three Japanese pitchers, Otani, Yamamoto and Sazaki eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number? All right? Here's Andrew Friedman about Keith a Hernandez. And when I asked him this question, I wanted it on the record, and he delivered and realized what I've been telling you, that the door is wide open for Keith a Hernandez to walk through those camelback ranch doors.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't think the door's ever closed on Kik. That being said, it doesn't mean that it will necessarily work out. But we've acquired him a lot of different times and through trades and free agency, you know, twice through trade, and you know, I don't know how it'll play out. We'll never close the door on him, but you know, if he does sign somewhere else and hopefully we'll have a chance to trade for him or whatever. But the most important thing is for he and his family. We want them to make the best decision for them and whatever that means. And obviously we're biased and we hope it means us, but we'll see how that plays out.
Speaker 1: It was encouraging to see him at a Utah hockey game. It feels like he's just drifting, waiting for the time to drift back to la. I mean, Keik had a Utah hockey game, Andrew, I never thought i'd see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I didn't either.
Speaker 2: He's good friends with the gm oh and I talked to him about it during the season, But when I first saw it, I was like, wait.
Speaker 1: A minute, what Yeah, and then I remembered that connection. All right, there you have it. The door is not closed on Key k Hernandez. And I know all of you think the automatic move to make room for Key k Hernandez is finding a way to jettison Chris Taylor. That's not happening. There are ways for keyk to be on this twenty six man roster on opening day. There are no guarantees that it's going to be an immediate, smooth transition for Heyesan kim right, he's a great guy. He's got a lot of speed. They see him being a big part of this roster at some point this season, but doesn't mean right away. Uh. They can have him start in the minor leagues. And as much as we saw the growth of Andy pa has and how much I believe it would be great for him to get an opportunity, he has options. He could start the year in the minor leagues if the Dodgers bring back Key k Hernandez. So there's two other ways to get him on this opening day roster without just the you know, knee jerk reaction of get rid of Chris Taylor. They're not getting rid of Chris Taylor. And if you heard Chris Taylor at Dodger Fest, he said he still has an edge, and he said that he wants to be around for a long time. He knows what's at stake. He knows he has underperformed the last couple of years. So on the last year of his deal, I think he wants to try to, you know, find a way to earn a spot for at least another year on this team. So we'll see how it plays out. But there are numerous ways that the Dodgers can have key A Hernandez and Chris Taylor on this roster. We're gonna take a time out. We'll take your phone calls as we move towards eight o'clock eight six, six, nine, eighty seven, two five seventy. Coming up next, you'll hear from the newest shiny toy reliever, Kirby Ates, thirty eight years young, joining the Dodgers after an All Star season with the Texas Rangers. David Vasse Dodger Talk on a five seventy LA Sports on your home for the world champion Dodgers. Don't forget it. We are just one week away from pitchers and catchers reporting officially to Camelback Ranch a week from today, and today's almost over. We are that close to your world champion Dodgers getting ready to defend their World championship. And it should be a great season. As great as last year was, this one should be just as exciting, just as fulfilling in a lot of ways. And obviously that's up to the guys. And look, you know, I saw Miguel Rojas was on some podcast or set it at Dodgerfest that the expectation is to eclipse the Seattle Mariners all time wins record in the regular season that was one hundred and sixteen back in two thousand and one. That has never been the expectation of Andrew Friedman, Dave Roberts, or any of the other veteran leaders on this team. You look at it, this past year, for the first time in a while in a full regular season, the Dodgers did not win one hundred games and won the World Series. The Dodgers won ninety nine games this season. The goal is never to have the most regular season wins. It's to win the World Series championship. And I know Miguel was in Miami for an eight year stretch, but he's been around this team enough to know that the Dodgers have proven they can win the regular season. But last year was about the World Series, and every player on this team outside of Miguel Rojas, to date, has never mentioned eclipsing the Mariners all time regular season win total. They've talked about winning back to back championships for the first time in twenty five years. That's the goal. It's not beating the Mariners record of one hundred and sixteen wins. And I don't know if it was taken out of context, but I don't know how you take that out of context. I just think Miguel Rojas needs to recalibrate what the expectations are. Nobody in La is talking about winning one hundred and seventeen regular season games. They're still talking about, let's see if we can win back to back championships for the first time since the Jeter team Jeter Pasada, Pettit Yankees. That's what it's about this year. It's not about the Mariners record. Now, I understand what he's saying. They have the talent to be able to pull that off if it all goes well. But the Dodgers were on pace two years ago, three years ago, and they chose not to chase it on purpose. So I think we're on the same page. It's not about the Mariners one hundred and sixteen win record. It's about winning back to back championships. That's all I've heard Mookie Bets, Freddie Freeman and the others talk about until I saw this today, So that's that's certainly not what the goal is of this year. And I like Miguel Rojas's confidence and that's his expectation. But the Dodgers have a big enough bullseye on the back of their chests, on the back of their jerseys. They don't need any more. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I love what Jim Harbaugh says. His mantra ever since he's been a head coach is be humble and be hungry. You don't need to start saying that the expectation is to win one hundred and seventeen games. That's that's not humble.
Speaker 3: And hungry.
Speaker 1: Eight six six eight seven in two five seventy is the phone number. I had a chance to catch up with Kirby Yates after he was officially announced a Dodger and here was our conversation at Dodger Stadium. Thanks a lot for the time. And does it feel real putting on this jersey?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a little I would say surreal probably a better word, but yeah, it's this cool.
Speaker 5: You know, this is going to be exciting and this is gonna be awesome.
Speaker 1: When you look at what the Dodgers have done this offseason, during this entire process, if all things were equal, was this an easy choice?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I mean, look, I kind of scoured the market. I don't think I made it exactly easy for them, but look all in all, you know, to come here and uh so one, you know, they were pretty persistent in wanting to sign me all off season, which I appreciate and too to just for them to target me, and how active they've been all off season with you know, the people that they've brought in and me being one of them, I mean, you know, yeah, how.
Speaker 1: Could you not say you've been part of bullpens where you're the guy and everybody's leaning on you for high leverage outs. When you look at this bullpen the way it's constructed, do you feel like the sum is greater than the parts.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, saman it doesn't matter. They can still lean on me.
Speaker 4: If they want, you know, but this is you know, a very very talented group and there's you know, kind of endless options on what you can do. You know in certain times that games are going to be really short for the other team, and you know in other times, you know, we have pretty good starting rotation also, so you know, I think the combination of both is just going to really work out well.
Speaker 1: When Kirbyate's was watching the postseason, I would imagine.
Speaker 5: You were watch some of it some of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you realize that Dodgers only had two and a half starting pitchers, went to bullpen games multiple times in multiple series. You're going to be teammates with those guys. They were known as the dogs. Are you ready to be inducted into a bullpen that identifies as that type of ferocious competitor?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Absolutely, It's gotta be fun to take part in that. Yeah, they were some of those guys are really impressive. But trying very very impressive. I mean he's always been impressive. I think it's just you know, he'd kind of put it on full display in the World Series and the playoffs and all the other guys. I think, you know, Evan Phillips is kind of forgotten guy right now, and he's been pretty good at the past and you know, so like I said, I mean it's as deep as you could probably have really a bullpen in the league, and so you know, be.
Speaker 5: A part of that. It's very exciting.
Speaker 1: You mentioned Blake Tryning. You're both in the same demographic, so maybe you have a guy down there, just one guy and Blake Tryning that can relate to your TV shows, your movies, and maybe your music. I'm not sure about his music taste.
Speaker 5: Dad jokes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean like he's been around for a while, he's been nasty for a while, so yeah, it you know, I had my partner last year that was Diira.
Speaker 5: We were the old guys.
Speaker 4: So I tend to lightly use that word just because you know, I know I'm getting older.
Speaker 5: I just don't want to believe it. It's going to be hard to believe that.
Speaker 4: I'm probably I think I am the oldest one on the team now, so finally made it.
Speaker 5: But yeah, it's gonna most experienced Kirby. There you go, there you go. It's gonna be a lot of fun. You know.
Speaker 4: I've heard nothing but good things about the guys as humans too, so I think that's the biggest thing. And you know, pitching aside, we have to hang out with each other all the time, so that's one of the things that I'm kind of looking forward to.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go. I've always been a big fan of Kirby Yates split fingered fastball when I was growing up in the eighties. Roger Craig, the manager of the Giants, former Dodger pitcher, he was the godfather of the split fingered fastball. It seemed like to go out of vogue, but you've kept it alive. Do you feel like the split fingered fastball might have a comeback? Since Kirby Yates is continuing to persevere and.
Speaker 4: I revived my career kind of changes the path of my career. So and you kind of look around in the league. There's a lot more guys that are throwing them now, so I think that pitch is Seriously, I don't think it's going anywhere.
Speaker 5: Guys are learning it and it's uh, you know.
Speaker 4: Usually when I about five six years ago, when I started throwing it, you know, there was only a few that threw that pitch. And now you look around, there's a lot of guys that throw it.
Speaker 1: Before I let you go as well. You got some muscle over here. I mean two suits that are monitoring everything that I say, who do you got with you?
Speaker 5: It's my bodyguards. That's my agents.
Speaker 1: Oh agents slash bodyguards, very intimidating agents. No wonder the Dodgers signed you. They got a good deal. I bet they pounded the desk a few times.
Speaker 5: He got it done. I don't know what he did. I won't tell anybody though, but he got it done.
Speaker 1: Beverly Hills Sports Council, don't let the city name fool you. They're tough.
Speaker 5: That's a model for you. Gotta use that right on. Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right there he is Kirby Yates. We're having a good time and everybody's in a great mood right now. Right nobody's throwing a pitch at spring training. And look the Dodgers going into the World after winning the World Series as champions, they played longer than any other team last year, not just because they were the last team standing, but the fact is they started the season before anybody else with the Padres in South Korea, and they played the last game of the season, So they played the first game earlier than everybody else and they played the very last game. So I think we all have to take that into account. And Kirby Yates, Tanner, Scott Blake Snell, guys like that are going to be fresh arms. Tony Gonsolin who missed all of last year, Bobby Miller who was kind of back and forth. The Dodgers need those guys. Tyler Glass now who did not pitch the second half of the year. They need those guys because some of the guys like Yamamoto who missed a few months as well. They need some of these fresh arms. But the guys that were not on the championship team, bringing them in and creating that hunger and really pushing the guys that were here last year, I think it's going to be invaluable. And the one thing that I'll say from Dodger Fest is I'm not sure how much pushing some of these current world champions are going to need because they all have started working sooner than most, and they all seem to say that last year was last year. I turned the page already. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Whittier. Mike, You're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 6: Hi, Mike, Hey, Dad, thank you for having me on. I have an unpopular opinion that I don't think a lot of people are gonna like. And it's about how did Dodgers want to put Show in the pigeon rotation. I think that having a Show come back and pitch is not the best choice for us with all the pitching that we've acquired and all the arms that we got. I know it might not seem like it's enough, but I feel like Show hey doesn't need to do that. Maybe convert him to like a right fielder or something like that. Having him on the field is more valuable than having him on the bench.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I've thought about that too. I heard what Barry Bonds had to say that he should just stick to hitting. But that's what makes Show Hao Tani Show Hao Tani. He wants to be a pitcher and a hitter. He's a really good pitcher. And like I said, he doesn't count against the Dodger roster of thirteen pitchers, so it's so unique and such a huge advantage. You know, he can get hurt swinging the bat. I just don't see how you can live life and fear that way if you're show Heyo Tani. This guy's a different type of creature. And look, is he going to pitch the rest of his major league career? Absolutely not, But right now, in twenty twenty five, it's not that bad of idea, especially when you're the Dodgers and you have well then more enough, you have more than enough pitching to cover him.
Speaker 6: Yes, sir, that's that's what I believe. That's what I believe.
Speaker 1: So sit back in, relax, and enjoy the ride.
Speaker 6: Mike, Thank you, sir, appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Mike, thanks for the phone call. And look, already, last year Dodger games were not just games anymore. They were events. When Otani makes his Dodger Stadium debut, wearing a Dodger uniform, taking the mound that way as a Dodger pitcher, it's going to be more than even an event. It's going to be a spectacle, a sporting spectacle when number seventeen starts his first game for the Dodgers on that mound. I can't wait. I feel like that's the only reason why I care about his timetable. I want to I can't wait for that day in May or June, whenever it is. And could you imagine show Heyotani taking the mound in a playoff start. I mean, that's way ahead of us right now. But what a weapon to have going into this year. And like I said, the Dodgers are going to be extremely careful with him, so he is ready for a postseason start and hopefully a long run into October. Eight six, six nine, eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. When we continue here on Dodger Talk, you'll hear my conversation with Austin Barnes. We'll let you know what Freddy Freeman had to say about his right ankle, and also another world champion Dodger has signed with another team. We'll get into all the rest of the hot stove because there are still very good players available on the free agent market. Dodger Talk until eight o'clock right here on your home for the world champion Dodgers. A five to seventy LA Sports. We are just one week away from pitchers and catchers reporting to ranch in Glendale, Arizona.
Speaker 3: We will be there, well.
Speaker 1: Not right when pitchers and catchers report, even though my guy Snelzilla is already in Arizona. Our first game broadcast is going to be the Cactus League opener on Thursday, February twentieth against the Cubs. That's the same team the Dodgers are going to open up against in Tokyo, Japan, so we have all of that. We will have the Tokyo Japan games live as they happen at three am in the morning, and I would imagine we'll do the same thing we did last year, replaying those games at the conclusion so you hear them during the middle of the day. So we got Dodger baseball coming up in just over two weeks. Dodgers Cubs open up the Cactus League schedule, and then from there we're off. The Dodgers are on their way to preparing for defending their World Series championship. Coming up in a moment, you'll hear from Dodger catcher Austin Barnes. But first let's go back out to the phones. Maxwell in Austin, Texas. How sad are they in Austin over Luca being traded? Maxwell oh Man, I was very happy for that.
Speaker 6: And my birthday wish is coming up on February twenty. If my birthday wish is to resign Kik Hernandez.
Speaker 1: I love it. Yes, that's very possible. You heard what Andrew Freeman had to say.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was amazing.
Speaker 1: I was what part was amazing? Me talking to Friedman?
Speaker 6: Yeah, of you talking to Friedman?
Speaker 1: Hey, I know right, who would have thought that? Who would have ever thought he would have spoke to me? Yeah?
Speaker 5: That would be cool.
Speaker 1: Career highlight for me too many. Thanks a lot for the phone call. Eight six six eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. Maxwell. We love that you listen out there on the iHeartRadio app. That's where you can find all our interviews from Dodger Fest, including the one with Andrew Friedman on the iHeartRadio app, and that's where you can listen to the show live for free, podcast the shows for free, and our next show this week is going to be on Friday, So we bookend the week with Dodger Talk and on Friday we're going to be joined by Alex Vesia and Tommy Edmund. That'll be at seven o'clock this Friday night. But before we go back out to the phones tonight Monday night. What better way to start the week than from hearing from the longest tenured Dodger, the our longest active I should say asterisk active Dodger, Austin Barnes. We are joined right now by my main man, the longest tenured active position player, and in fact, technically right now because Clayton Kershaw has not re signed officially, he is the longest tenured Dodger period a two times two time World Series champion, a man the Dodgers could not do any of these things without his steadying force. The way he holds his teammates accountable is necessary during a long season, and that is Dodger Catcher, the pride of Riverside, Austin Barnes. How you doing, Barnes, that's a great introduction.
Speaker 3: You're getna get a.
Speaker 1: This only for the guys. I like I like that.
Speaker 3: I like that.
Speaker 1: I hope it's not going to be awkward between us now that Blake Snell is a Dodger. I was mocked humiliated by people like you to have a relationship with Snell Zilla and here he is on the same team. We're in the same uniform as Austin Barnes.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I mean every time we try to find you, you'd be in the other teams out hanging out with uh with us now and waiting for him to come out. But no, it's great that he's on our team. Obviously a great pitcher. Met him in Arizona. Uh oh yeah, No, he's you know.
Speaker 3: A great, a great guy.
Speaker 7: You know, everybody's a good guy. It's a good group over there right now. Got out, he got PA's You got Kim like Kim? Yeah, Kim's funny.
Speaker 1: And then uh, he's he's he has got his translator with him all the time.
Speaker 3: But he's uh, he's good.
Speaker 1: It seems like he's making an effort to learn English and communicate in that way.
Speaker 3: No, he's he's great.
Speaker 7: He's there so early, man, that's awesome. Yeah, he's Uh, he's a good dude.
Speaker 3: I like him a lot.
Speaker 1: Do you remember seeing him play for the Korean team when you guys were there last year. Did you remember this guy that was really fast?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: No, he had a rocket off Bobby Miller.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he hit a rocket off Bobby. He got he got Bobby. I see him in the cajo. It makes sense.
Speaker 7: He first time off the fast ball was Shane all off season. He's just whacking him, like jeez, this guy's ready right now.
Speaker 1: How do you feel they're a long season? Last year? I mean it seems like nothing phases you. You were kind of the guy the Dodgers have needed in seventeen and eighteen and twenty and obviously played a big role during this stretch of success. Does it feel different coming to spring training this year?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 7: I mean you can play with the Dodgers all our off seasons are kind of short. You know, we always you know, most of the time we played deep into October. You know that's obviously the goal and stuff. And no, it was it was a great season, you know, just you know, everything that we've been through.
Speaker 3: The playoffs is a battle.
Speaker 7: You know, it's uh, it wears and everybody, and you know, just to have a nice little reset, you know, especially after winning. Yeah, it's it's nice though, you know, becoming a two time World Series lyamy and that's awesome, and you know, obviously the fans, the fans deserve it, you know, the Dodgers front office did a great job this offseason and it's exciting.
Speaker 1: Let's not get into whether or not the debate is if twenty twenty counts or not. We all know that it does. But coming in twenty one just spring training compared to coming to spring training in twenty five, is there a different feeling just because the world is feeling different again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's probably more of the thing. You know.
Speaker 7: It was just it was a weird time in the world. Going to the grocery store was a weird thing, you know. Uh not, No, I remember driving back in twenty twenty, uh spring training when we all got you know, said go home, and I was like, what is going on going to the grocery store?
Speaker 3: That batting glows on?
Speaker 7: And I'm like, am I supposed to touch anything? I didn't know it was what was happening. It was a weird time. But yeah, you know, uh, you know, I think what the Dodgers are building here, you know, it's a special thing to be a part of.
Speaker 3: You know, being able to come here and you know you have a chance to play important games.
Speaker 7: So that's that's something that's uh, you know, everybody, everybody wants, wants and thrives for so you know, always there's always possibilities here.
Speaker 1: How many times have you talked to Walker Buehler this offseason? Obviously he's moved on to Boston, but I know you guys had a tight relationship ever since he got called up, and obviously his legacy as a Dodger will live on forever. Uh, what would have been the conversations with you and him after the parade and everything else?
Speaker 3: Walks my guy?
Speaker 7: He you know, he facetiged me right before he signed with the Red Sox and then Uh, I talked.
Speaker 3: To him yesterday.
Speaker 7: Actually had he had a he had a horse in San Anita that was racing. Uh he he told me the betted heavy, but yeah, right, no, but it was good.
Speaker 3: It came in third.
Speaker 7: You know, obviously he's in that horse racing. I've been to the been to the races with him, and I think that's something he grew up with. But obviously gonna miss him. Great competitor, big part of the Dodgers. Well he did last uh last year in the playoffs, you know, a special and a little live on you know, just getting the last out.
Speaker 1: It's hard to get those last outs, man, and.
Speaker 7: He took that walk, and you know those those those last three outs are always the hardest.
Speaker 3: And uh, you know, he went out there and he did it.
Speaker 1: Hey, you were in the dugout when he decided to go on his own to the bullpen during Game five? Were you aware that that was the possible?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 7: I was aware that we were running out of pitchers, that's for sure, especially I know Blake. You know, what Blake did was probably one of the greatest things in that whole playoff run. Well, you know, I think he threw like what forty five fifty pitchers, you know, and especially a guy who you know, all the issues he's had, uh staying healthy and just going out there and competing and just knowing how important it is and all you know, all hands are on deck, and he went out there and what he did was so special man. And then, uh, you know, I I assume I just kind of assume, you know, like that they're gonna go out there. You know, Curse has done it over and over again throughout the you know, his playoff run since I've been here. And then, uh, yeah, it doesn't It didn't surprise me. I knew I thought it was an option obviously. When Walker went out there.
Speaker 1: And when he walked out from the bullpen, it felt like there was no I know, he said, since he had the butterflies and maybe a little self doubt because he'd never done that before, but it felt like he had the Walker Bueller's swag coming in from the bullpen before he threw his first pitch.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Walk likes that walk. You know, that's that's you know everybody.
Speaker 7: You know, he feels everybody's eyes on and when you walking out there, get that the feeling. He likes that, you know, the atmosphere in the in the whatever they call it, the aura of it all. I guess is that what people are saying, yeah, yeah, or the aura yeah, or of you know, it's the games.
Speaker 3: It's game.
Speaker 7: Give a chance to close out a World Series game, especially to win it. Also, you know, that's something that everybody dreams of and that's something that he made a reality.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Austin Barnes, thanks a lot for a stopping by. I heard you had a fancy trip to Maui with my guy Andre e Fier. I heard he had to keep you in line on the island.
Speaker 7: Yeah, old man, Andre was there. I thought I lost him a couple of times just wandering around. I think he forgot where he was. He's getting old, dementia might be starting to kick in, and but no, he was fun. It was a good time we had. I've never been to Hawaiian and it was It's a beautiful place.
Speaker 1: That's a long ways away from Riverside.
Speaker 7: I mean it's yeah, it's half it's in the ocean somewhere, you know, it's it's halfway there between Japan and uh and California.
Speaker 3: So it was a fun trip though, awesome.
Speaker 1: Don't let people forget you're the longest tenured Dodger.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Kurt is letting me have that for a second. High Yeah, yeah, he'll be obviously he'll be with us and stuff.
Speaker 1: But can we let key k No, like stop messing around at hockey games in Utah and just re sign already?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 7: I tell him that about once a week. I said, you're gonna sign already or uh? And he obviously, being he's a great teammate, been a teammate with him forever and uh, you know, he's such a big part of those playoff runs and hopefully you'll, uh, he'll you'll'll figure it out and well, and he'll be with us.
Speaker 1: Hey, even if you see me and Snell every day talking to each other, you're still my guy. Don't ever forget that discuss.
Speaker 3: I like that Zilla, You're my number.
Speaker 1: He's like number five. He's gonna work his way out. He's just he's barely been a dodger, exactly, exactly.
Speaker 3: Don't worry.
Speaker 1: I'll keep him in line, all right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: He always great to talk to you. I say, what a pleasure you are a media mogul.
Speaker 1: Thank you. And can you just admit radio is alive and well with me right here.
Speaker 7: You're keeping it alive, man, somehow you're doing it. The newspaper died and know it's the radio is still surviving.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: Biggest ratings during the World Series run on this station since nineteen eighty one, Barns.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you tell me all the time, the seven million downloads and baby, now you're.
Speaker 1: Part of it. Thanks Mart. There is Austin Barnes. Radio is alive and well Austin Barnes. And yes, that interview also can be podcasted after eight o'clock tonight. Always great to talk to him, and he's one of those players he did not play in one postseason game or get a start in one postseason game last year. But he's a guy that can help a player a pitching staff even without playing or catching one single pitch because he's keeping an eye on things. Guys respect him. They understand that he can contribute to the game plan in a game and a repertoire of a game. So I just feel like what he brings. Obviously he's not going to show up in a box score, but if you look at his season last year offensively, he had one of his better offensive seasons with the Dodgers in his major league career. He hit two sixty four. I mean that it's not that easy to play behind Will Smith and play once every six seven days and come out and rake. I'm not sure you guys understand how difficult that is. We always talk about pinch hitters and how tough it is to come off the bench, But if you look at what Austin Barnes does, he only got what one hundred and fifty six plate appearances. I mean, that's far and few between, and this guy contributed offensively whenever he had a chance, And quite honestly, you know, you look at Will Smith. The last two years he's been an All Star, but that's because of the first half. The second half of his seasons the last two years have not been have not been all a worthy and I'm curious to see what adjustments Will Smith made during the offseason to be able to not only be one of the best hitting catchers the first half of seasons, but also the second half. And I wouldn't be opposed to seeing more Austin Barnes catch games just to keep will fresh instead of just once a week, especially as we get into the second half of the season, and hopefully keep will you close to that peak level that we have seen in the first half of the year each of the last two seasons. So I just think that you know, Austin Barnes and what he brings, especially last year was very underrated. All right, we all know what Freddie Freeman brings, right. I mentioned this on Petro Some Money, and we'll replay what Freddy had to say about his right ankle. And it was really special to see the World Series MVP for the first time since the parade, and he explained thoroughly what has gone on with his right ankle since the end of the World Series, and it hasn't been great.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: He was trying to, you know, manage it. After the World Series was over. He expected it to just get better without playing baseball, and the swelling did not go down, and he finally had to have surgery. And right now he is just basically starting what usually happens in November December.
Speaker 3: He just started.
Speaker 1: Hitting in the batting cage last week. So don't expect to see Freddie Freeman play in that first spring training game. And quite honestly, after hearing that, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dodgers are trying to tell Freddy Freeman, there's no need to rush this. There's no need for you to be ready for Tokyo Japan, even though he told us he wants to be ready for Tokyo Japan. But this was a very serious injury. He's not twenty five, so a lower extremity weight bearing part of his body. You know, I'm not so sure it's not the worst idea for Freddie Freeman to maybe not play the first couple of weeks of the regular season. I know he does not want to hear that. He's intent on trying to make it happen for Opening Day. We all know the responsibility Freddie feels to his teammates to be out there for one hundred and sixty two or close to one hundred and sixty two games. But as we saw last year, it's more important for Freddie Freeman to be on the field when it counts the most. Nobody's going to remember that he didn't play the first two weeks or three weeks of this season. If all goes well in October, that's you know. I was listening to what Freddy had to say, and you know, he was saying it with a smile. And I'm sure he's going to try to convince the Dodgers that he can be ready. But what's the point if he wants to go to Tokyo and being an ambassador for the Dodgers as a guy that hit one of the most iconic walk off home runs in Baseball World Series history, the only guy to hit a walk off Grand Slam in a World Series game, by all means, I think he should come, I really do, But for him to play, I'm not sure. And also I guess Devil's advocate to even fly there, I mean, the ankle could blow up. And get swollen on the flight there. But that's neither here or there. I'll have to see when I get to spring training how it's looking for Freddy, because he just started hitting the right ankle obviously was severely compromised all of last October, and he found a way to play through it and found a way to be the World Series MVP and set World Series records with six consecutive games with a home run, drove in more runs in a World Series than any other player in baseball history. So I mean, I love Freddy, and I think we all have what's best for the Dodgers in mind, as does Freddie, and he's going to try to push it to see whether or not he could be ready for Opening Day. But look, there's nothing to be ashamed of to not be in the opening days starting lineup and being the starting lineup for Game one of the NLDS. If you're Freddie Freeman, all right, that'll do it for us on Dodger Talk tonight, Thanks a lot for hanging out with us on this Monday night. We'll be back with you on Friday at seven o'clock. Tommy Edmund and Alex Vesia will join us. Want to say thanks to Ronnie Fossio for his help, thanks to Kirby Yates and Austin Barnes for their time. You can listen to both of those interviews if you missed it on the ihe Art Radio app. Coming up next Jason Smith on Fox Sports Radio. Have a great rest of your night, See you