Speaker 1: All right, lave today at the warehouse eighteen twenty five South three hundred West. Incredible deals on sofa's mattresses bases. Come on by my guy. Vidal's gonna take care of you. It's eighteen twenty five South three hundred West. The phone number is eight oh one four six seven twenty two oh two. Rick Neuheisel's excuse me. Rick new Heisel is our guest coming up in just a little bit to preview tonight's National championship game. We're gonna say good night in time for that, so at five point thirty. It's signed for Notre Dame and Ohio State. But our next guest good enough to join us from time to time when he's not traveling the world or hanging out with kids. You went to high school with it turned into serial killers.
Speaker 2: It's a real thing.
Speaker 1: Scott Mitchell on a Monday, Scott, Happy Monday. How are we doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing awesome. That's a great introduction right there. You know, listening to that commercial, it's like, why would you ever turn off ESPN seven hundred. I mean you could catch all the games. You shouldn't listen all the time? You get you get you, you get Sean O'Connell. Come on, people listen all the time. That's what I have to say.
Speaker 1: Scott Mitchell, who apparently has been hired as our general sales manager, joins the show today. You're not wrong, Scott. I appreciate the pub and of course everyone wants to listen when you're on the show. But here's my question, Scott Mitchell, right out of the gates Detroit Lions fans on a Monday after that loss where a lot of people thought they were going to be right in the mix to win the entire thing. You played pro ball for Detroit at a very high level. I just wonder what you takes. And I love the Jade and Daniel story. And Washington hasn't been in the conference champion title game in thirty three years. But you know, if you're a Lions fan, you finally had it. Everything was in place, you were relatively healthy, and the wheels fell off, some injuries defensively, But what do you think that community is like on this Monday afternoon, Scott.
Speaker 2: I just my heart goes out to all those people. And if I want to see something in sports ever happen, it was the Detroit Lions winning a Super Bowl simply for their fans. They really are some of the best fans in the world in the sense that they are so loyal to this team. I mean, it seems not any good and folks still show up and they're lifer. These are life, life long Lions fans. They've worn the badge of you know, futility for so long, and it just felt like it was going to be their time. And love the coach and what he's doing, and and just the nucleus of players you just pull for them, you know what, pull for Jared Golf and and just you know, want him to do well, and just so many good things there. It was crushing, but it really brings to light something that's a brutal truth about the NFL, and that's it's hard to win. It's hard to win in the playoffs, it's hard to win a Super Bowl. And so he sees people like Tom Brady's do it seven times. You you understand that a lot of luck gets involved in that. But also, man, they're really good and they're they're really good teams to be able to do that. You're seeing to some degree with the Kansas City Chiefs, But it's just a hard thing, and part of it that makes a hard expense is they only have one game, like it's every week is do or die. You know, you don't get any you don't get a reset, you don't get a do over. It's it's a sudden death elimination every week. And it's the brutal reality and the harshness of professional football. But also what makes it so compelling and so intriguing, you know, you tune in because you just see how that pressure of having that you're done in year out does to people, and it impacts people in different ways, which is why Jaydon Daniels is so freaking amazing. What that guy's do Like he must have like some something in his brain that doesn't work, and it's that fear, it's that it's that pressure button or something, because because a rookie should not be playing like that, not only in the playoffs, all season long. He's just been incredible.
Speaker 1: He has And let me let me follow up because Scott we had him out in this direction. Jade Daniels was a Pac twelve kid, and I'll just speak for myself. When I'd watch him at ASU, I'm like, man, he's fun, he's dynamic, he's talented, but I mean, come on, like, I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't think.
Speaker 1: Even the most ardent Jayden Daniels fans will tell you they saw this coming. But I cheer, as I often say when everybody whenever anybody asked me, like who do you cheer for to win? I say all the local teams, And then I just cheer for stories. And I'm here for this Jade and Daniels story as they're taking on Philly now coming up for the chance to go to the Super Bowl. What what are you most impressed about the way Jade and Daniels has been able to traverse this, this rookie experience in pro football.
Speaker 2: He had committed to Utah. I mean he was he was committed to Utah and her Edwards came in kind of at a late date and and swooned him away. And I think part of the intrigue, because this is my this is part of my answer to your question. Part of the intrigue was I feel like her Edwards can get me to the NFL. And I think Jade and Daniels and he talks about it that he saw himself as this kind of player when he was a young kid and his whole thing was about playing and playing great in the NFL. And he said, you know, I could go to Utah and and and how many you know, how many you know, they're not a hotbed for quarterback per se. But i could go to Arizona State, where I've got a coach who did coach in the NFL, who did play in the NFL. And then when that fell apart, he goes, I'm going to go to the big you know, he has a chance to go to LSU. So he's had this willingness to do whatever it took to go wherever he needed to go to get himself in the right position to be able to play at a high level because he was he was exceptional at at LSU. And I think that move to LSU was that thing that really kind of put him over over the top. And you know, and then and then on top of it, and this is the biggest thing I think of all spence of anyone, Like you know, they pulls Sha dur Sanders and so does he go, Don? Where does he go? Kind of thing? Jaydon Daniels went to a coach, went to a system that was like built for quarterbacks, and Cliff Kingsbury done a phenomenal job for a long time. You know, if you're a young quarterback, it's like, I want to go where that guy. I don't want to go any coach that's a defensive minded coach, don't I don't want to go there. Don't put me there, don't let me go there. I'll retire before I ever start kind of mindset. And Jadan Daniels really lucked into the right coach at the right time to fit who he is, and they've done a beautiful job of really accentuating what he can really do. And I mean he's consistently done it all season long.
Speaker 1: He has all right, it was inevitable that the sports media news cycle was going to contain a lot of Lamark just cannot do this come playoff time content, and I had to at some point turn it off because it just gets so Scott. I do not think wins and losses are a quarterback stat That's my opinion. But having said that, the record is what it is. That looked like a very cold and challenging place to try to play quarterback, and the other team has Josh Allen and they're pretty good, So what's fair to say today, on this Monday after the Ravens and the Baltimore Ravens and Lamar Jackson once again are ousted early on in the postseason.
Speaker 2: But when you have two players, you have two teams that are competing at a high level. Every little play, every moment matters, and with the turnovers and the drop passes in the in the critical times, the teams that win, they find a way to get it done. At the end of the game, they find a way to close it out and win it. And you have to It's it's just a learned thing. I mean, Peyton Manning, I think the first five years he was in the playoffs he really struggled. And you know, and there's a lot of guys have been really good that haven't been amazing in the playoffs, and then you have some other guys that, you know, kind of kind of do a better job. So I agree with you, and the wins and losses and playoffs and Super Bowls really shouldn't account for the greatness of a quarterback, for sure. But because I love Lamar Jackson and I think he put him in a position in a tough environment, in tough playing conditions to tie the game and you know, he throws a nice touchdown pass late and the guy drops the ball. Guy the same guy fumbles the ball earlier as they're moving into score. And you know that's that's not on Lamar Jackson. I mean he was there. You know, he was a guy that was present when the game was on the line. He didn't fold, he didn't crumble from it. He did what he had to do to put him in a position to win the game. If I'm a coach Spence and I got a chance to have Lamar Jackson on my team, I raised both hands. I said, yes, yes, yes, I love the guy, and I think he's done an exceptional job of becoming a multi dimensional player. He really throws the ball a lot better than he did in the past. And then but he's just this elite runner as well. And so I like his game. I like it a lot. And he'll just keep playing, you know, he'll eventually get this off his back and and and whok. He's a great talent. I don't know why people are ragging on him.
Speaker 1: Scott, as a Jets fan, I'd trade the Statue of Liberty for Lamar Jackson. Kidding me, like, I don't know what that would do for the Ravens. But no, to your point, yeah, like you take him on your team every time. All right, let's move over now. Actually, no, I wanted to ask you about Chiefs Texans. The narrative seems to be after a really strong rookie season, c J. Stroud has kind of come back down to earth.
Speaker 2: Is that fair?
Speaker 1: Do you agree with that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean because he was you know, the same thing with Jaydan Daniels, you know. And I'm just gonna go back to what I said in the be getting it's hard to win. I remember one of the first things that Dan Marino ever told me, and it just really stuck with me. He said, I went to the Super Bowl my second year, and he goes, I had this unbelievable see you know throw. I mean, he sent this record back in nineteen ninety or nineteen eighty four, you know, just it was insane what he was doing throwing the football then. And he and they just march through everyone go to the Super Bowl and they get trounced by the forty nine ers. But he goes, we thought we would be back to the super Bowl every year after that. Like I just I just and and and every every year. He never ever got back again. And he was a tremendous player. And you know, I really liked CJ. Stroud. I've liked him. When he played Utah in the Rose Bowl. I just was very impressed with how he threw the ball and and uh and I just really liked it, liked his game. But you know, every season is just it's it's its own thing. And and you can't live on what happened in the past. You have to find a way to evolve your game. Because coaches go, those coaches sit in those rooms, Spence, they sit in the dark for hours and they go, how do we beat this guy? What's his weakness? Where what can we do to just really mess with him? You know? And Bill Belichick is a master at all that stuff. And then til you can adjust your game and kind of figure it out and evolve, you know, and and things have to bounce right, It's it's really hard. So I'm not down on CJ. Stroud, not surprised that this has happened. The NFL is cruel. It's just it is a hard business to win and and and to be consistently good for a long period of time. It speaks volumes of a player and their ability, and of course the team that they're on.
Speaker 1: We've got conference Championship Sunday coming up, and at this point I'm not going to doubt Washington. Like I said, thirty three years since their last NFC Championship appearance. Philly's getting five and a half. As far as the spread goes, we don't really have an accurate forecast, but it's Philadelphia in January, so I'm sure it won't be awesome. Like I said, it's hard to pick against him. Do you think this magical run continues or do you like Philly?
Speaker 2: Well? What Here's one of the things that's really good about Dad and Daniels and why he's having success is mechanically he's really sound, so his throwing motion holds up like in the pressure situations. Think of like a free throw shooter. You know you got someone with just a nice stroke and in pressure situations, you know it just doesn't crumble. But to get a guy who's kind of got bad form and it's just accentuated when he's at the line and even if there's more pressure on So that mechanically sound motion allowed for him to be pretty consistent throwing the football and especially in pressure situations. I'm just telling you, he's just got a demeanor, he's got a mindset. It would be hard to bet against him. But folks, you know, these two teams have played each other twice this year. This will be the third time, so he's not going to be unfamiliar to the to the Philadelphia Eagles and vice versa. You know, these teams know each other well, and they're gonna know probably better than anyone, how to prepare for and how to eliminate, you know, some of these successes or comfort, you know, plays that he's had, and so it's a tough thing. It's really hard to predict things when you've played each other, you know, two or three times in a year.
Speaker 1: And then the afternoon game, of course, everyone's going to be talking about this for the second straight year. We're going to see the Bills and the Chiefs and Narrowhead and the winner will advance to the super Bowl. It just I don't know, Scott. I'll see to you because you played and you're the expert here. It just feels like it's Josh's time to me. But I could be wrong, because Kansas City just finds a way to figure it out week in week out, But who'd you like in the afternoon until at Arrowhead.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, it's so it's so hard because I feel like Kansas City has been living on borrow time all this year. And there are kind of some there's a statement or a thought process where it takes a little bit more time to win before you should and then you win a little bit after you shouldn't, just because you're so experienced and you're just so savvy as a team. And that kind of feels like where Kansas City is right now. They feel like they're an injury or just a bump and the bruise away from kind of falling off the cliff. It's hard. No one's ever like won three super Bowls in a row, which tells you how hard that is. So I kind of tend to agree with you. I just I just feel like this is Josh Josh Allen's year. He's a guy that's evolved and learned how to win and learned how to kind of modify his game and and and manage you know, kind of how much and when he runs, which is I think a good thing because I think he's relatively healthy at this time of year, and and he's a guy that's you know, not uncomfortable going into that environment. He's been there before and and played well and so and I don't think the Buffalo Bills are unfamiliar with that environment either. But you know, it feels like it's his year. But man, don't don't don't count out Patrick Mahomes.
Speaker 1: You're not wrong there all right, before I set you lose National Championship College Football, National Championship. It's on our radio station. He kicks off in exactly one hour. At eight minutes, Ohio State is getting nine points. Scott can notre Day make this a fair fight.
Speaker 2: I don't really think so. Personally, I think Ohio State is clearly the better team. I think they're a team that's ready to win. H I think they're they're they have more talent just to cross the board as as a team, both on offense and defense. And I think I think winning and having a playoff format like this has kind of been a good thing for Ryan Day where he doesn't have the pressure of winning the Big Twelve championship and and and so having an expanded playoff I think gave them a little bit of a Mulligan. You know, because you and I think playing it appeared the teams that played more and didn't have to buy actually did better in the playoffs. And that doesn't mean it's going to be that way. I think every year it will be different. But I love the playoff format. I love you know what what it's what it's brought to the table. And I'm actually glad these two teams are playing. And but I just I think Ohio State is the better team.
Speaker 1: I'm with you, Scott. Thank you for your time today, buddy, have a great week, enjoy the game tonight, and then hopefully you can get you soon.
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, look forward tone, Thanks bitch, all right.
Speaker 1: Scott Mitched one of the best to ever do it at the University of Utah, played in the NFL for the Detroit Lions and smother teams as well. Appreciate as him