Speaker 1: No, we're on board. Caseyaa's Inland Express, CACAA, Homelanda ten fifty am the station that needs notice her behind.
Speaker 2: The views and opinions expressed by individuals on the following program do not necessarily reflect those of the network, Guys Guy Radio and its platforms.
Speaker 3: It's Guys Guy Radio.
Speaker 2: Here's your host, Robert Manny.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Guys Guys Radio. This is your host, Robert Manny. Welcoming into the show where men and women can be at their best and everyone wins. Guys Guys Radio. We're here to inform you, inspire you, empower you, and get you to think, feel, and who knows, maybe even act by virtue of the journeys, stories, experiences and insights of the guests I bring you every week to the show, and once again this week is no exception. Today we're going to talk about men and men's groups with our special guest, return guest, doctor Ken Lakritz. He's a PhD. He's a Youngian psychologist and he was on the show recently talking about his book Remembering Self, and today we're going to talk to a men's group. I guess the question is, would you like to discover what really happens inside a men's group, and that's what we're going to do right here on this week's episode of Guys Guys Radio. You know, we all have your guy, you have a bunch of pals, and it usually comes down to you go out to the sports bar and you watch the game and you talk about teams and sports and maybe some news comes up that you want to share with your mates and your buddies, but you really don't get deep. And so I thought it would be nice that with these men's groups that keep propping up around all around, that we get a leader of a men's group who is a psychologist and who goes deep with his men's group members to come on the show and talk about what happens with a men's group. And the nice thing is we're going to have four members of the men's group on the show along with doctor Ken. So I think it's going to be a lot of fun. I think you're going to enjoy it. I'll see if I can extract some helpful information for any of you guys out there considering putting together your own men's group. So it's going to be fun right here on this week's Guys Guys Radio. It's Guys Guy Radio. Okay, Guys Guys Radio. It is the interview portion of our show. And today I'm delighted that we're going to do something a little bit, a little bit different, and we're going to talk about guys with guys. My special guest is a return guest. Ken Lackritz, PhD, is the He's a Youngian psychologist and he's author of the book that we covered a couple of weeks ago on Guys Guys Radio, Remembering Self, and it really talks about the four stages of life and how as we age, we can really do a better job, really thrive in our last quarter of our lives, if you will, and also understand the leaning behind each one of the quadrants of our life. And Ken did a great job with this book. It's got some fiction in it, it's got some nonfiction, and it's got a lot of truth. So, first of all, welcome to the show, Ken Lackritz and the guys from Ken's Men's Group. So Ken, Hello, So Ken, why don't you tell everybody about the group how it got started? And then introduced to the guys.
Speaker 4: I will well said, first of all, thank you for having us here. I think this is really a pleasure to be here and to bring this fellowship to the world, because I think it's a very special community of men. You know, I've been a part of Men's work for about thirty five years and one of the things that I've learned over that time is that it's very important to curate a community. And part of the way that I I curate this is every man that has come into the group has come through my practice.
Speaker 5: Now part part.
Speaker 4: Of the reasoning behind that UH is a little bit of adding and UH and in an understanding of where men lie in terms of their their depth of understanding. Are they ready for the sacred? Are they reverent to the depths? Are they ready to meet other men on a very deep ritual level, at the heart level, and to be able to move into domains of life that encourage maturity, then encourage a deep appreciation for the feminine, because it's not all about the masculine.
Speaker 6: UH.
Speaker 4: And men who UH, who feel that they want to move out of out of isolation and into deep relationship, And I'd say, you know, the loyalty that has grown and the sense of commune unity and has grown in the bonds that have grown have been something almost beyond what I've witnessed before. And so let me introduce these very special individuals. First is our youngest member, who is Alex Wilson, and he is thirty six going on what sixty something like that.
Speaker 5: And then we have Is.
Speaker 4: Who has brought incredible life and love to this community. And then we have Randall Wilson, who in the glasses and the beer, who is Alex's father. And it's the first time I've seen a father and son within a group like this, and it's been just incredibly special to all of us to witness this dynamic and to see what has passed down from generation to generation. And then the Xavier and I Karen Kocher, did I've pronounce that correctly?
Speaker 3: Almost?
Speaker 5: Almost?
Speaker 4: You know, after ten years I should be able to pronounce it properly, but I'll get there. And and Xavier has been part of men's work and initiatory rite of passage work with young men and.
Speaker 5: Drumming. I won't call him a master.
Speaker 4: Drummer because he doesn't like to be called a master drummer, but he's an incredible drummer, which he brings ritual and song to our community.
Speaker 3: Okay, so let's get to why you started the group. How did that come about? I know you mentioned ken that everybody was a client of yours, and so how did the group come out of that? And also how you know a lot of people think of a men's group as a bunch of dudes sitting around complaining or doing other crazy stuff. Is how is your group different?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it's interesting because I've had so many men pass through my uh my practice, and uniformly, even today, uniformly they say they feel lonely, they feel isolated. They're tired of superficial conversations. They want conversations of greater depth. You know, they're fine with sports and barroom talk, but they but they want to talk about their spiritual lives and their hearts and their relationships. And uh and I think that what what has happened in our group is that we have cultivated a depth and a reverence for being together that has taken us continually deeper.
Speaker 5: And there is a.
Speaker 4: There is a food and this is this is the invisible part of men's community. There is a food that men bring to each other. It's a kind of a spiritual or a psychological emotional food that we we can't get any anywhere else. And I think, I think our female partners would love to bring this to us, but it's not something that they can bring to us. And so I'd like to actually turn this over to Xavier to maybe to expound on this, if you would, Xavier.
Speaker 7: Thank you Ken, and thank you Robert for having us and our pleasure my brothers. You know, as I look at your faces, I am just, you know, structless such gratitude. You know. I think everything that Ken's saying is absolutely true. And what strikes me is that because we've each been in therapy, each member of the group has been in therapy, we're familiar to the idea of being in a therapeutic holding space and we bring that into the group and we bring that to each other.
Speaker 3: And so when the brother invited.
Speaker 7: Me into the group, before I met Ken, I felt that this would be a safe group because of my experience with him, and then of course me can I trust that this would be a wonderful group of men, and so we come together and it's not a space of competition, it's not a space of it's a judgment free zone. So I feel completely safe sharing you know, my heart, my desires, my success is my failures, triumph, triumphs, and traumas with this group of men. And one way that I see it is that we hold each other in the light of our attention. And I feel like in that light, when we're offering our hearts and we're just being seen and heard by each other, we're calling something forth. We're calling forth just more of who we are as men and as human beings. And it's a tremendous honor and blessing to sit in a group of men, to be seen, to be mirrored. You know, when I'm sitting and sharing, sometimes man will reflect something back to me about myself that I've completely overlooked, you know, something good, something positive that I haven't owned, and it helps me to kind of own aspects of myself. And when I'm sharing something difficult, you know, a reflection from a man will kind of give me a different perspective that helps me see what I'm going through in a different way, and you know, I'm able to meet that challenge with a little more strength, with a little more ingenuity.
Speaker 3: Fantastic. Let me ask is how did you get into the group and what has been how long have you been in the group and what has your experience been and is that experience what you expected?
Speaker 8: Thank you, Thank you, Robert. How I got in the group was I had an awakening about eleven years ago, and in that process, I realized that I'm needed to go within, and so I sought therapy and I was looking for specifically a youngiin therapist and and Ken cost my we can's paths and he helps he helps me go within and understand what it is that I need to work on myself within. And so that's how that came to be. And then after a few months, and I've been with the group about three years. So after a few months, Ken suggested that I joined this group, and I, you know, it's been a while for me to be in the camaraderie of men. And what I really enjoy about this particular group is that because we are varying ages, we have experiences that we can that we had in common, let's say, as men.
Speaker 5: And then there's.
Speaker 8: Also a mentorship that we have to the younger men in the group. It's a it's a beautiful because there's eight of us altogether, so you just think you just before the eighth Okay, So that's it's a really good group.
Speaker 4: And what I want to point out is that the young men mentor us also.
Speaker 8: That's true, absolutely all.
Speaker 3: Right, and now we have I want to get to everybody. So Randall and Alex as father and son, which I think is fantastic. You guys are both in the group. Why don't you go ahead on your own and just tell us about that experience, how who got in first, how the other person got in, and what's been the dynamic while the two of you have been in this group together, and how has it impacted your relationship and if there were any issues before that have been resolved while being in the group. I know I threw a lot at you, but just talk to us.
Speaker 9: Take it away about how about I started off?
Speaker 10: Okay, Yeah, I've been in the group for I don't know, maybe four years, and coming out of working with Ken into that situation has been absolutely wonderful, and as as one of us indicated before, like an opportunity to come out of that.
Speaker 9: That a very frequent.
Speaker 10: Experience of feeling kind of isolated emotionally, and to be able to to have the freedom to express both both my despair and my excitement and everything in between, and not have it ever be judged. Has just been an absolutely empowering experience for me and has just meant the world. And so I'm exceedingly grateful. And as Alex, who has been in the group for a little while, came in, I guess probably important to understand that aside from the fact that we're in the group together, we also together every day.
Speaker 9: We have a.
Speaker 10: Woodworking business, and Alex has been working in my woodworking business now for well over fifteen years, and so you could say that we have a very very engaged relationship. And as alexis has joined the therapy and kind of like the opportunity came up for him to join the group, for me, it was just like this amazing opportunity to be able to present my vulnerability to him as a as.
Speaker 9: A man, and too.
Speaker 10: Like expand my curiosity about about how would it be for us as a father and son to be in this particular context of being an immense group, of being emotionally vulnerable, like I said, and like to to and to find out what was going to be the the takeaway for the group in general, because I can I can assure you that every single one of us has what we might refer to as father issues or dad issues. I myself definitely, and and it's like, well, won't won't be cool to see how to see how we can work with what might be construed as dad issues with the actual father and son as you know, the guys in the test tube. And it's just been kind of marvelous for me too to be able to, how to say, expose myself to my son in ways that you know, are completely unprecedented for me in my life. And it's just felt like the uh, the benefits for us in our particular relationship, and I think it kind of ripples out have just been fabulous in terms of just experiencing each other's humanity, our challenges, and I'm just continually curious about where we're going to go with it and how it will enrich our relationship and how does we get to operate together?
Speaker 3: Okay, fantastic? Okay, Alex, So I heard from your dad for you, how did you get into the group? Was it your idea? Was it your dad's idea? What do you think about you know, getting together and you're hearing the you know, experiencing witnessing the vulnerabilities that your dad has, which to me is very courageous. And then how about you being able to talk in a group about some of your issues when your dad's sitting right across the table from you.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so we have the super deep relationship we've been working together. Like you said, this is our twentieth year working together, So we have this kind of platform that we're used to working in, and the say hierarchy is kind of you know, it is what it is at this point. So getting this other platform and context to be working in has just been incredible. Getting to work with Ken has been The growth is real and I feel like having this context of the men's group is it's kind of like a pressure cooker for growth when you're emerging into the next phase of life, like I kind of am. My wife is pregnant, I got married this year, taking over the business as we're going along here. So yeah, having having this space to communicate and work with my dad alongside having this context of all these other men is just Yeah, it's a really incredible space to be in and fantastic.
Speaker 3: Okay, good yeah, all right, Okay, guys, guys Radio Robert Mann and your host that we're doing a show a little bit differently today. You know, we're doing We're doing a men's group, and you know, we exploring the show everything from relationships, the personal development, spirituality, culture and what it really means to be a man in today's changing world. So our show today's a little bit different. Instead of interviewing one guest, we're joined by five members of Ken's group, Ken's Men's group, and we're having a discussion. So let's pick it up. Let's have some fun here because I'm sure your group has some fun. So Ken, talk to us about the group itself. You are a Youngian psychologist. These guys have been your patients, and I'm assuming other guys in the group have been your clients. Whatever, How does that dynamic shape the culture of the group and do you think you would have a different group if it weren't your clients.
Speaker 4: I think I would definitely have a different group if if it wasn't Like allis, I think that the depth of relationship that I have with each man is so profound even before they step into the group.
Speaker 5: And I think that.
Speaker 4: My sense of you know, what's moving in them, what's important to them, what needs to come forward is you know, is fairly crystallized by the time they come in, and it helps me to hold space, It helps me to know the depth of the vulnerabilities. And you know, one of the things that I was thinking about as the men we're talking is, you know, one of the operative core emotions that I think that people don't understand, fully understand about men is the level of shame that shuts us.
Speaker 5: Down very early in life.
Speaker 4: We're basically shamed out of our feeling, our out of our hearts, out of our emotional life at a very early age. And uh, And part of what we're trying to do is create a context of a fellowship that helps to lift that shame and helps us to move beyond that shame, because I think that what each of us wants is each of us.
Speaker 5: Wants to move forward into life, to come forward.
Speaker 4: To fully manifest, to become and be the people we truly are. And you know, as Alex was saying, it's kind of an alchemical chamber. It's a it's a testing environment for us to to learn how to be completely transparent and authentic with with others and to be held with love, you know, to be held really in the context of love and appreciation, okay, and that's what's evolved in this community.
Speaker 3: Okay, guys, you have kind of a this is just a microcosm of the group. We don't have all eight members here, but you have a little bit of a cultural mash up here, which is great. You guys feel from the different cultures and backgrounds you come from that it's different. By doing something like this is a big leap. If you are I'm going to take a guess that is you some type of Middle Eastern. Is that correct?
Speaker 5: Well, I have actually Northern Indian idiot.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm sorry, Yeah, I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: That's fine.
Speaker 8: But the generations ago, my forefathers went to South Africa, Southern Africa, okay, and so, and then that over to Kenya and then over to Canada and now the US.
Speaker 3: Okay, so culture of the world culturally is something like this more welcome, welcomed from where you grow grew up or is this something that's a it's a big leap, even a bigger leap than some of the guys who are from here.
Speaker 8: Yes, you know, typically it is. It is a big leap from because the culture, even though it was several generations removed that northern Indian culture is very patriarchal, and so that has led itself through multiple generations and it led into my generation as well, and it typically is a big league. But I can't. I was called a sensitive one when I was a child, when I was a kid with my three other siblings, so I end up being more open hearted. But it's still it's still a challenge too. But I, like I said earlier, I love being in the camaraderie of men. I ride with a motorcycle group as well, and that's also a lot of fun that you know, it's a different level of depth that you go into.
Speaker 3: How about Xavier, what's your sense from a cultural background in terms of entering a group like this. Is this something like other folks that you would know in your family, et cetera would say, oh my god, I can't believe you're doing that, or is this something that's encouraged, and say, I totally get it. That's cool.
Speaker 7: Well, as we said, my last name is Kreen Cooder, which is Dutch, right, so okay, my blonde hair and blue eyes, but you know, having African air at age Dutch and you know, Native American, I personally am multi cultural, so my personal stance with that as I see each person has a reflection of me. You know, I've got I've got all of it in me. And so what strikes me even more than the cultural aspect, which is, you know, we all understand and we relate, but you know, we're all Americans. We're all really Western men living in America.
Speaker 3: It's the fact that we have a father and son.
Speaker 7: You know, I'm a son, I had a father my father's past and seeing their dynamic reflected helps to heal my father issues. Right, We've got men at different ages, and when we talk with each other, we relate to that aspect of ourselves.
Speaker 3: And so it's really like.
Speaker 7: This microcosm macrocosm reflected in our group that's reflected in our individual selves and the growth is just it and it balloons out to this universal feeling too, because I feel like we're across section of our larger culture.
Speaker 3: Okay, so, uh, when you guys get together, I guess this one's for Ken. Is this an do you see? This is the way it plays out? Is an expansion of a young psychology session or it is a men's group, and it could go a lot of different ways. And what happens with the groups? How often do you meet, how long do you meet for? What do you do during your sessions? Because I think a lot of the listeners and viewers out there are wondering thinking, Hey, you know, this is a great idea, having men being able to talk to each other, because I think one one thing that we all suffer from universally as men, is kind of an isolationism, if you will, like I think Robert bly talked about and uh, it's something that's needed. So I think from a tactical standpoint, I think people be interesting, ken and knowing. How do how do you manage the group? How does it how does it flow?
Speaker 5: Well?
Speaker 4: First of all, I don't I don't manage these guys. They they manage themselves. But what but what what I think we've done is we we've adopted a model of kind of a ritual men's group.
Speaker 5: We meet outside, we have a fire.
Speaker 4: You know, even though I facilitate the group, I don't I consider myself kind of a member of the group.
Speaker 5: I don't don't I don't sit.
Speaker 3: On a or do you share?
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it's it's not it's not a psychotherapy group. We you know, we we find ways to ritualize the space and so that we know it's kind of it's a liminal space, which means that when we're walking from the outside to the inside of the group, we're passing into a special, sacred space. And so we find ways to create that that container or that that boundary. We set intentions, we drum, we sing, and we try to cultivate a space that can go very deep. But also there are men bringing in, uh, you know, current issues with family members or you know, births, or you know, other kinds of issues, and we we're there for each other.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 4: One of the feelings that I have, and I'll just say this one last thing is that you know, if anybody called any one of us at three in the morning, you know, with a crisis and needed what, we would all be on the doorstep within fifteen minutes. And that's the kind of space that I believe that we've created. And it's that men are so hungry for. Okay, anyway, sorry interrupt No, no, no.
Speaker 3: No, not at all. I interrupted you. So listen. Let's we're just having a conversation here and I'm trying to get as much information out to our listeners who are probably considering, Hey, maybe you know I want to get my group together. I know with my friends, do we have text exchanges? Now there's four guys on one text, is eight guys on another text. I'm sure you guys have experienced this and you go back and forth and somebody puts a mema where they talk about the World Cup or whatever it is. But it's pretty much surface stuff. But at least it keeps you connected. So I guess my question again, Ken, is when you how often do you guys get together? And is there a you have, like a little syllabus for the group or something, or an agenda you mentioned some ritual. Did you do something to get into the mode for the group? How long does the session last? And also anything taboo to the group that you just don't go into, like do you guys talk about sex?
Speaker 4: So we meet once a month. We generally meet for about two or three hours. We trust process. I think one of the things the elements that I feel is very important were the men that I bring in is that they trust that there's a process that will deepen. Now, one of the roles of a facilitator, I should say, you know each one of us facilitates in our own way. So I don't want to put myself in a position as being the core facilitator. What is to keep the group moving deeper because it's very easy for men and women as well to stay at a very superficial level, and we need to.
Speaker 5: Find ways to.
Speaker 4: Invite depth, to facilitate depth, to redirect when you know, conversations or when process is going in.
Speaker 5: A direction that's not fruitful for the group. And so there's a subtle true north I think that.
Speaker 4: Has emerged in the group and men, you know, at this point, trust the process and we know.
Speaker 5: How to go there okay together, And I'd love to hear others.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I want to ask Alex a question because I have won a jam in as much information as possible in the time we have. Alex, you're the youngest in the group. You've come into this, You've got your dad. That's a big dynamic right there. You've got these other guys that are all older, and I'm sure a lot of younger guys out there who are listening or watching the show are wondering, Hey, you know, I get it. That's really cool. I wonder what Alex's experience has been and if this is something that I should try to pull together with my mates.
Speaker 11: Yeah, so I think like the for me, a really wonderful thing about this group is that we do have a through line of this psychology that we do with Ken. So having kind of an undercurrent of this we're here to do deeper work and we're here to grow together is kind of the bottom line of what we're doing here. So for anybody trying to put something like this together, I highly recommend like finding that through line of gravitas and progress and what are what are we here for? And what do we what do we all have in common? And where are we trying to go? And let's try to put together a context to speak it in a place that's that we all want to spend time in.
Speaker 3: And it's so interesting for a guys. I remember my dad who was here of mine, and he passed, and he was out doing stuff I can't even get into. But you know, I remember one time he knew I was having a tough time. We didn't have intimate conversations or anything. He'd ask me about work and business and that was his focus, and he traveled a lot. But one time I got I was living in the city, a little studio apartment, and I got this card in the mail and I opened it up and it was a kid on stage holding a violin facing a crowd. And I opened it up and said, believe in yourself, Love Dad. And I kept that card my entire thirty years in New York and that's all I needed. So do you find that It's like sometimes you get something, a symbolic thing that happens that means the most to you, can mean more than just words. And again this is for one more for Alex. What have you learned about older guys? And what have you learned about your dad? With all due respect that you can talk about that you didn't know before.
Speaker 11: I know, yeah, yeah, I know, I have a lot. I have a lot to say about it that I think just seeing my dad be vulnerable and in this context and having it not be all about me and my dad, but like seeing him as a man and having him see me as a man, and seeing all these other guys as men coming into this group. It's easy to be like, oh, I'm the youngest guy, what can I glean from this? But I think the biggest opportunity for growth has been like mirror mirroring this group and seeing that I am a man and I'm growing into this thing that I'm going to be in the future. And but you know as well, right now I'm a man and I'm just learning about how to how to do that and seeing that these guys are on their own process and there's not some threshold you pass us where then you're a man. It's like this journey that we're all on and we're all on it together.
Speaker 3: That's fantastic. That's a fantastic Randall, what's your your take on that? And how what have you learned without getting you know, personal about what have you learned about your son and about yourself and about your relationships just since joining the group that maybe you might have not gotten if you weren't together in this experience.
Speaker 9: Well, thanks for asking. In terms of in terms of stuff.
Speaker 10: That I had that I've had the privilege of observing with Alex, is that.
Speaker 9: That we had in the group.
Speaker 10: We have this, we have the context of depth and in and in the relationships that I have with my other.
Speaker 9: Sons, we get to kind of like.
Speaker 10: Expand on the the the experience of going to depth with between me and Alex I sort of have a format for being able to do that with my other sons without having them be in the group. So there's this expansive aspect of the energy that happens in the group that I've found to be incredibly valuable to me individually. And so that's one thing.
Speaker 9: There.
Speaker 10: Another thing I just wanted to say, because you were asked about the the.
Speaker 9: Issue is like do we get together and talk about sex?
Speaker 10: And I guess that would be the thing that I would maybe put in about it is like it's definitely not a taboo subject. But the reality is that in the group, the focus, the focus can can it can start dissipating outward, but it really belongs in here. And so if there's any if there's any how would I say steerage that can my have to that might have to apply from time to time is kind of like, uh, come back here, come back here, and let's let's see where we where are we at this level now? So though we all have relationships, and most of us are married and some of us have been married a few times, it's just like, yeah, that we can any of us can talk about our relationships. But it's really like, no, man, this is an opportunity for a couple hours a month to just like focus on what's going on in the heart and what's going on for me as a man in the context of this world. And and so it's like an opportunity for me that I never really want to miss.
Speaker 3: Okay, yep, absolutely is. You know, today's conversations about masculinity often they're polarizing. What does healthy masculinity mean to you? And how has that shifted, if at all, from being part of the group.
Speaker 8: Thank you that for me, healthy masculinity is the courage to be vulnerable and to be strong in that space of vulnerability. And what I loved about and what I still love about these men is that I can share the depths of my soul with them. I don't have to be ashamed or hide anything. And to be able to be that vulnerable in that safe container is something that I've been missing my whole life. I'm sixty five years old, and so this is happening, you know, later in my life. But it's still a beautiful journey. And like I said, it's just it's helped me to be more of a.
Speaker 3: Bad xavier and on the same kind of vein if you have some friends and they said, I don't need a men's group. What would you tell them, Because everybody, all guys have some type of issues because we keep it all, you know, we keep it all here unless there's a big announcement about something, like a friend of mine, what we talk about is sports and drink beer and watch the Yankees or whatever. And then he said, oh, by the way, I'm getting a divorce. And then I'm like, oh my god. He was married twenty two years and I asked him kind of like why and it was because his wife wasn't laughing laughing at his jokes. That was the top line I got. Obviously the issues went far deeper than that, but that's the type of thing that's pretty you know often and he would probably say, I don't need to be part of a men's group just because we're so you know, protective of our feelings. We don't want to be vulnerable. What would you tell your buddies if they said, yeah, you know what, Xavier, I don't I don't need a men's group.
Speaker 7: I got this, Yes, yes, well that would definitely for me. For one of my friends require a conversation about depth, a word that Randall just used in a couple other men depth.
Speaker 3: Why the fear of depth?
Speaker 7: You know, why are we afraid of our emotions? Because we've been cut off as men from that feeling nature, and we've been taught that emotions and feelings are weak, that when we cry or if we confess hurt, that that is somehow you know you're a pussy, if you're if you have all these feelings. But we all have these feelings. So we need to stop denying these important parts of ourselves. And we need a place where we can come, as is said, and show the strength of a vulnerability and on the fact that in our vulnerability there is tremendous strength that has not been accepted, that has not been mined. It's a tremendously rich vein to explore together. And so we need to face that fear. And men, you know, we don't talk about what we're afraid of, but for me, I'd have to call my buddy out on the fear of being vulnerable.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 3: You know, ken you've done such a masterful job. I mean, these guys are amazing and can Lacret's.
Speaker 5: I take responsibility for all these day.
Speaker 3: So how has this group, how has the dynamic of the group evolved since you started the group, and what have you learned personally for yourself as a man and also for your practice about how you've seen the dynamic by taking individual clients, putting them all together and being the common thread being men and having conversations that go deeper.
Speaker 4: You know, I want to start out by talking about context, because one of the things that I knew before this, and I think that's really important to articulate, is that you know, there's a cellular memory that men have that go back, you know, over one hundred thousand years, maybe hundreds of thousands of years of coming together in rites of passage and you know, alding mechanisms that you and I talked about when we talked about in our previous interview, And this is something that when it's the group that when you get men together, they access to cellular memory. There's something in us that just knows what it means to be in a context like this and when we're being eldered and when we're in a sacred context in which that offers the opportunity of transformation. And what I've seen is deep transformation in the men, both in my practice but in the group, and the group offers something that I can't offer my individual practice. Like I said, it's a it's a food, it's a relationship. And I've seen this group evolve over the past decade in ways that are warm my heart so deeply I can I can barely express to you, you know, the meaning behind it. And my feeling is this is what this community represents is the core of what all men need for their their health, for their maturity, to reduce isolation, to the feeling of camaraderie. And I think that in a safe place to come with our deep wounds. And I think without this, we see the kind of crises that we're seeing culture maybe worldwide with men where they are feeling isolated and they start to you know, medicate these feelings. They have no place to bring them, and therapy isn't always the answer to this. So this is a very special, very very ancient context.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, therapy takes a lot of different forms, could be conversation, could be going for a walk together or whatever. But so how did new members how do you get do you look for new members or in your practices, say you know what this guy could really benefit from being part of the men's group because you have other dudes to talk to, or how do you how do you manage that process? Because I'm just thinking for people out there who are thinking about I should get a bunch of guys together, well, some of the guidelines you would recommend.
Speaker 4: Well, this is a very hard topic for me because I think, I think this group has been very clear that we've kind of we've maxed out in terms of the numbers. And I but men come through my group and I go, my goodness, they would benefit so much from this community. And you know, initially one of the reasons why we started this group is because there there was no other place to refer them, and I wish I had places to refer them, and I wish there were hundreds of opportunities for men which I can't unfortunately provide. So up until this point, what I have done is, you know, I've kind of sensed into when you know a man is ready for this community when he has reached.
Speaker 5: A level of connection with.
Speaker 4: The deepest aspect, the most sacred aspect of its being, so he understands what it means to be in a ritual space like this. Okay, and then I would introd you know, I would talk to the men and you know, ask them if this is something that they felt comfortable with, and we would invite the man in.
Speaker 5: And sometimes most of the time it works, and sometimes it doesn't. Okay, but we generally put a cap on the group. At this point, all right, we.
Speaker 3: Just have time for one more question. I want to go to each of the four guys and take thirty seconds tops, because we're on a time we have a time limit. So what's your best advice to guys out there? Just one thing that you could say. Maybe it's from something you've learned in the group or just something you've learned from life. Best advice for men right now, let's start with you, Randall, take.
Speaker 9: Risks and.
Speaker 10: Really embrace the opportunity to fail and get up and take another risk.
Speaker 11: Perfect, Okay, Alex, Yeah, be as vulnerable as you can because probably everybody around you is feeling the way that you do. So if you can figure out a way to connect with them, that's like, that's the basis very wise is.
Speaker 8: Well, I think everyone needs a therapist, so you start there. And then the other thing is I truly do especially a youngin therapist. And then The other thing is again like as you take risks and you go deep with those around you from a space of vulnerability, you know, just with some take that risk.
Speaker 7: Okay and Xavier, guys, don't cut off your manhood. Stop cutting your manhood off these soft parts of you. What you would think of is feminine parts are important part of you. If you keep stuffing the emotions, you're going to get sick physically, emotionally, mentally. Find a place where you can let these out in a safe place.
Speaker 5: Love it.
Speaker 3: Ken, You've done such an amazing job with these guys, and guys an amazing job working with Ken and working with each other. I have so much admiration for you. Keep doing what you're doing. Ken, I got just a couple of moments left. Any final words.
Speaker 4: Well, I just want to say they've done an amazing job with me. So you know it goes both ways. It's a relationship. And I think that you know my advice two therapists out there who like to segregate themselves from relationship with their clients, I would say, loosen that boundary because we are our relationships with all of the people in our life are incredibly important. And I am just unbelievably grateful for these men in my life, and they're part of my life in my community as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, gentlemen, thank you for your honesty, your courage, your willingness to share your experience. One of the themes I keep hearing is that strength isn't about pretending to have all the answers, is about having the courage to show up, be accountable, and walk through life with trusted brothers by your side. Great job, guys, Ken's Men's Group. Thank you so much for being on Guys Guys Radio. I'm sure you're inspired a lot of folks out there. Keep doing what you're doing. Fellas. Thank you, thanks so much. It's Guys guy Radio. Okay, fascinating conversation with Ken Lackret's and his men's group. We talked to four other gentlemen who really are very sincere and take being in the men's group seriously, and it sounds like they really get a lot of insights from sharing with each other. And we had the two gentlemen, the father and the son, and wow, that's amazing. Can you imagine going to a men's group with your father or your son? Incredible? So I give so much credit to Ken and what the guys are doing collectively to really bring communication to the next level and get beyond the service. And I think that's what it's all about, regardless of what type of men's group you join or if you want to create one, or just getting together with your pals, see if you can take the conversation to a deeper place than just talking about sports and what type of wine you like and stuff like that, because there's a lot more and I think it's important that men continue to build a dialogue with one another.
Speaker 5: Thank you for.
Speaker 3: Listening to Guys Guys Radio. We'll be back next week with a brand new episode. And until then, like I always say, guys guys, finish first.
Speaker 5: Wow. Express one oh six point five FM, the number one FM talk radio.
Speaker 1: Station KZAA, the station that leaves no listener behind Express one o six point five FM.
Speaker 12: I'm doctor Anthony Lyiserwitz and this is Climate Connections. On sweltering summer days in Austin, Texas, most homes have the windows shut and air conditioners pumping, but some people cannot afford to run their AC enough to adequately cool their homes, and if the power goes out in a storm, air conditioners do not work, so some houses can quickly become dangerously hot inside, especially older, drafty homes that allow heat to seep in faster.
Speaker 13: We have a lot of houses with the zero insulation.
Speaker 12: And Mark Kudair, Austin's Climate Adaptation and Resilience manager, says the thread is growing as the climate warms.
Speaker 13: You know, in the nineteen seventies we would get an average of ten days over one hundred. Now we're seeing in like twenty twenty three eighty days over one hundred.
Speaker 12: So the city funds programs to help low income residents make energy efficiency improvements like adding insulation or reflective roof coatings, which can help homes stay cooler without using as much AC, and the city maintains a network of cooling centers where people can go during heat waves, but some residents, including those who are elderly or ill, may be unable to leave their homes.
Speaker 13: A lot of the people who are most vulnerable to heat are people who are isolated, so he.
Speaker 12: Says it's also important for people to check in on their neighbors and help make sure they're safe. Climate Connections is produced by the Yell Center for Environmental Communication to learn more about climate change. Visit Climate Connections dot org.
Speaker 1: KCAA and KCAA Internet Television the station that leaves no listener and no viewer behind.
Speaker 14: And now the voices of KCAA was an exciting announcement.
Speaker 1: Want to hear NBC News or KCAA anywhere you go, Well, now there's an app for that.
Speaker 3: KCAA is celebrating twenty five years in our silver anniversary with a brand new app.
Speaker 14: The new KCAA app is now available on your smart device, cell phone, in.
Speaker 2: Your car, or any place.
Speaker 14: Just search KCAA on Google Play or in the Apple Store one touch and you can listen on your car radio, Bluetooth Bus, Android Auto or Applecar Play.
Speaker 2: Catch the KCAA bus in your earbus or on the streets.
Speaker 11: Celebrating twenty five years of talk news and excellence with our new KCAA, Just.
Speaker 15: Do it and download it. J c AA celebrating twenty five years.
Speaker 16: The Tahbot Club is the only registered manufacturer of original pure powd rco to Hebot in the United States that's organic and naturally caffeine free. A one pound package of t is fifty nine ninety five. Shipping is free, so that really is the total price. Call us add eight one ah sixty one zero eight zero eight eight Monday through Saturday, nine am to five pm California time. That's eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight eight. Or visit to Hebot club dot com. To Hebo is spelled ta h eeb like boy oh, then the word t and then the word club. So the complete website is Tahebot club dot com. Or call us at eight one eight six' one zero eight zero eight. Eight that's eight one eight six's one zero eight zero eight. Eight The tahebo tree is an amazing. Tree it never gets, sick never gets, infected and never gets. Infested it's the only tree in the world that fungus does not grow. On as a, result it naturally has anti, fungal anti, infection anti, viral, antibacterial and anti parasite. Properties these benefits go a long way in helping our immune system contend with a lot of things it has to fight on a daily. Basis parasites would be something like stomach problems or limes. Disease inflammation would be something like rheumatoid arthritis or. Lupus infection would be any infection from a tooth infection to a bladder. Infection bacteria would be something like gum disease or stomach. Issues viral would be something like, HERPES hiv or the, coronavirus and fungus would be something like toenail, fungus yeast or. Candida but maybe more, importantly THE t builds red corpuscles in the blood which carry oxygen to our organs and, cells and our organs and cells need oxygen to regenerate. Themselves the immune system needs oxygen to, developed and cancer happens to die in. Oxygen so the tea is great for healthy people because it helps regenerate new, cells everything from the cells in our skin so we can look, better to the cells in our organs so they function, properly and it can truly be miraculous for someone fighting a potentially life threatening disease due to an, infection, diabetes or. CANCER a one pound package OF t is fifty nine to ninety. Five shipping is, free so that really is the total. Price call us at eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight Eight monday Through, saturday nine am to five Pm california. Time that's eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight, eight or visit To Hebot club dot. Com To hebo is spelled ta h ee b like boy, oh then the word t and then the word. Club so the complete website Is tahbot club dot. Com or call us at eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight. Eight that's eight one eight six one zero eight zero eight. Eight Southern California's Inland Talk express IS.
Speaker 6: KCAA a life gets you, Down Missus, brown and things seem hard or, tough and people are, stupid obnoxious or, daft and you feel that you've had quite in.
Speaker 11: Mi just.
Speaker 17: Readmember they're just handing on a planet that's evolving and revolving at nine hundred miles an. Hour it's orbiting at ninety miles a, second so it's. Reckoned a sun that is the sorts of all our. Power The sun and you and me and all the stars that you can see are moving at a million miles a day in an hour to spile alarm at forty thousand miles an. Hour on the, Galaxy we're gone The Milky. Way our galaxy itself contains one hundred billion. Stars it's one hundred thousand light. Years signed to sign, It bounes in the middle sixteen thousand light years, thick but out by, us it's just three thousand light years. Wide we're thirty thousand light years from galactic central. Point we go round every two hundred million, years and our galaxy is.
Speaker 3: Only one of millions of.
Speaker 17: Billions it is amazing and explained in universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding.
Speaker 1: In all of the.
Speaker 17: Directions it can wiz as fast as it can go at the speed of, light you, know twelve million miles a, minute and that's the fastest speed there. Is so, remember when you're feeling very small and, insecure how amazingly unlikely is your birth a guy that's intelligent if somewhere else his face caused us.
Speaker 6: Bugger off down him On.
Speaker 15: Earth empire talks.
Speaker 18: Back the attitude, that, well the little guy cannot win seems to prevail despite the fact that over time we've seen that the little, guy if he is, persistent he becomes the big.
Speaker 15: Guy empire talks, Back, no it's.
Speaker 18: Because maybe people figure out little knowledges like. Smoke it leads to the.
Speaker 15: Fire empire talks.
Speaker 18: BACK i think this drive for, equality this drive for justice ad is gathering steam as opposed to fading. OUT i think more and more people realize the importance of the freedoms That america.
Speaker 15: Represents Empire Talks back With Wallace allen And Friends sunday mornings at ten am ON am ten FIFTY kcaa but.
Speaker 1: A fun coming around KC Aa Radio Lo, melinda where no listener is ever left.
Speaker 12: Behind i'm Doctor Anthony, lyserwitz and this is climate. Connections climate change is increasingly disrupting kids. Education when extreme weather, hits schools often close for kids. Safety, hurricanes, floods, storms, snow freezing, cold and wildfire smoke can all prompts RULs to shut their doors or send kids home. Early and many, schools especially in northern, areas lack air conditioning and have had to close during extreme heat.
Speaker 2: Waves those are schools that were built without cooling that now need.
Speaker 12: Cooling Jonathan kline is THE ceo of the climate and education Nonprofit UNDAUNTED k. Twelve his group maps instances across THE us when a school day or school activity was, canceled, delayed or cut short by extreme.
Speaker 2: Weather every time we hear of a school disrupted by extreme, weather we put.
Speaker 14: It on the.
Speaker 12: Map klein says That in the twenty twenty four to twenty twenty five school, year extreme weather disrupted school for nine million, students and this past year in his state Of, california students lost about a half million hours of instructional. Time when school is, canceled parents may have to skip work to stay home with their, kids and many families also rely on school breakfast and, lunch so the impacts go far beyond lost learning. Time Climate connections is produced by The Yale center For Environmental. Communication to learn more about climate, change visit climate connections dot.
Speaker 19: ORG Kcaa radio has openings for one hour talk. Shows if you want to host a radio, show now is the. Time MAKE kca your flangship. Station our rates are affordable and our services are second to. None we broadcast to a population of five million people. Plus we stream and podcast on all major online audio and video. Systems if you've been thinking about broadcasting a weekly radio program on real radio plus the, internet contact OUR ceo at two eight one five nine nine ninety eight hundred two eight one five nine nine ninety eight. Hundred you can skype your show from your home to Our, Redlands california, studio where our live producers and engineers are ready to work with you. PERSONALLY a radio program on kcia is the perfect work from home advocation in these stressful. Times just TYPE Kcaa radio dot com into your browser to learn more about hosting a show on the best station in the, nation or call OUR ceo for. Details two eight one five eight hundred k C A A.
Speaker 1: Kcaa where life's much.
Speaker 14: Better so download the app in your smart device. Today listen everywhere and. Anywhere whether you're in Southern, California texas or sailing on The gulf Of, mexico life s a breeze WITH. Kcaa download the app in your smart device.
Speaker 15: Today I'm Big city.
Speaker 4: Yesterday in the Double BAXICA.
Speaker 1: Kcaa you're on board k c AA's Inland Talk EXPRESS Kcaa homeland ten fifty, am the station that pus nobles her Behind, MAMMY
Speaker 15: I got that whit