Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 4: Two nothing. It's Alva not so fast.
Speaker 2: Coho breath with Don Taylor.
Speaker 5: I say that the winner of the draft lottery should be the winner of a two man loose.
Speaker 6: And Rick Dolly Wall I had a cherry tree, little Ricky. I used to go up that tree and just sit there for hours and munch on those jury years.
Speaker 2: Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 5: Pan flocking downtown Vancouver. We're in the Paul Carson studio. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check. Don Taylor, along with Rick Dollywall. Ryan Henderson is our producer. He's the man of the controls or director. The voice of God is Derek Wong. How are you?
Speaker 6: It couldn't be better?
Speaker 5: A lot of sports fans are feeling the same way. We always go on about April or maybe October being the best month, the best time for sports, but what about right now June NBA Finals and the Stanley Cup Final. As a combination. I cannot remember the two of them being so good at the same time. Yeah, you know, I guess, but I don't remember them being this good. Yeah, there's a recency bias as well. World Cups starting today as well, the Lions get going on the weekend. There's a lot going on, and it's all positive in terms of entertainment. The World Cup's going to be entertaining.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 5: There's some people complaining about what's happening downtown these days, and streets cordoned off and things like that, and traffic businesses upset, some of them happy, but the sports eventually takes over. It'll be I would think it would be just fine. Well, you're not paying for paying for tickets. There's some connuct news, okay, and we mentioned the Lions, but we got to talk about what happened last night in New York City, and I'm like a lot of people, I actually was kind of lucky. I was preparing for this show, so I was, you know, watching background. I was watching the game last night. Nixon Spurs Spurs way up between twenty nine points in the third quarter. It's over, so it's just kind of in the background. So I was lucky. I didn't turn it off. A lot of people did. Well, yeah, I did, you know, but your patients sporting events is awful.
Speaker 6: Twenty nine points. Anytime I've been with you to a football game on twenty nine points and you're gonna watch that. I took the dog for a walk, I started playing with him. He's going a little orange ball. I took the ball out. We started playing. I come back. There's four minutes left. I enjoyed the last four minute. But I'm not gonna watch a basketball game when one team's up by twenty nine point. Stop it.
Speaker 5: You clearly have learned no lessons in your life about sports. You just never know. It's the beauty of sports. It's the best reality television. I go out there, the greatest comeback in NBA Finals history. We just talked about it. Down twenty nine points in the third quarter, down twenty in the fourth, and the Knicks end up winning that game. And I'll get to the karma involved here. But og n Andobi tipping in Jalen Brunson's long range three point a miss with one point two seconds left, and then they managed to nail it down after that. But one o seven, one oh six the next now up three games to one, the crowd just going nuts and just the sense of disbelief watching on television. Can you imagine being there? Can you imagine being Taylor Swift being at the gay?
Speaker 6: I get you probably can Sandler, there's a Jerry Seinfeld, Adam Sandler. I loved it. A lot of stars is there last night?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Okay, so this is where I'm going with this. And boy, the defense was awful on this play. They forgot all about O G. But this is where I'm going with this. And you can talk about strategy and the two missed free throws by Wemby with just under two minutes left to me crucial moments, no doubt about that. But let's get back to Wemby for a second. I talk about this a lot that I'm a real believer in karma. Or earlier in the game, when they were destroying the Knicks and built up that lead to twenty nine points, you saw Wemby taunting Cocky Cocky, counting the taunting, the I'm lucky there taunting the New York Knicks. I'm in your hand pointing to his head. He did it a couple of times to Robinson, and to Carl Anthony Towns, you know, saying that, I mean in your head, you know, I don't know, something to the effect that we got this game one. The clapping there, and you just don't do that because it'll always come back. Kids, if you're listening out there, it'll always come back to haunt you. Missing those free throws at the end, his team blowing a twenty nine point second half leat losing that crucial game they had it. What you don't do that, You don't do that sort of thing. That's right. I'm not you know, people will disagree like it wasn't you know, there wasn't crucial crucial moment. I think it was. I think it was. Those moments were crucial. When you're taunting the opposition, it nine times out of ten it comes back to hurt you. And sure enough, the Spurs lose that game and now on the verge of handing the Knicks their first NBA title since seventy three.
Speaker 6: Who was the Vancouver Grizzly who taunted Michael.
Speaker 5: Jordan is Eric Murdoch.
Speaker 6: Martin, Okay, Derek Martin, Derek Martin.
Speaker 5: A little different stage there, that was.
Speaker 6: You don't do that don't you that.
Speaker 5: I think the Bulls had a reason for falling behind to the expansion Grizzlies. Think you're having a fun time in Vancouver the night before. So here, here's where else I want to go with this. We got time for this, Ryan, how are we doing for time? How are you? By the way, did you watch that game?
Speaker 1: Derek Martin confirmed? Yeah? Yeah. Come on now, now, I will say to Rick's point, and I think there's a lot of people's twenty donny. I mean, come on, like that's what's the equivalent of hockey?
Speaker 5: I never give up.
Speaker 1: It's nothing like like the equivalent of hockey. Like it's it's, it's, it's it's out of.
Speaker 5: The realm, did you know?
Speaker 1: I mean I was doing other things, but I didn't have it off by any means. And it's just like chip Away, chip away, chip away, but crazy man crazy?
Speaker 5: So uh do we want to save this for later? I'm I'm, I'm can I I've been to New York a few times. Have you been in New York yet? I'm still questioning whether you've been to London.
Speaker 6: I got I got, I got photos. I've been to London three times anyway, But.
Speaker 5: I I just had such a good time going there. It's it's always been for business, for work, but it's just a fabulous I'm worried about it because I know what happened in Vancouver during Big you know NHL's series afterwards. But did you see this scene? Yes, hotel so New York is exploding right now with interest in the Knicks. I don't remember this with the when the Canducks were playing the Bruins or the Rangers Bruins in twenty eleven. By the way, Milan Luchs is on the show today. Later on he's retiring after seventeen seasons Rangers in ninety four, But it seemed like there were thousands of Knicks fans all over waiting for the Spurs to return to their hotel, like get off the bus, look at this, look at this scene here and talking about taunting. They're screaming at him and Wemby. I don't know if yeah, there is. There's somebody threw an egg at him, a couple of eggs, actually one and one hit them. I mean, what's this gonna be like if there's a game six, if they win Game five on the road, what's it gonna be like in New York after that crazy because I've always said win or lose, there was gonna be a riot in Vancouver ninety four and in twenty eleven. But they're waiting for the Spurs to get off the bus at their hotel. Now, if you've been to New York, there's not a lot of alleys there, So you were asking this question before the show, can you sneak? Can you sneak through a back door in the alley? I do believe that's not the case with this hotel or most situations in New York. Like you'll see garbage on the streets, and like people put their garbage out on the front street, so there's no real place to hide there. But I just you know, what is it gonna be like if they end up winning. I mean they're waiting for the Spurs, and not that just a few fans. It look hundreds thousands of fans waiting for them outside their hotel.
Speaker 6: Holding a second, how do they even know where the Spurs hotel is? Well, I mean no, no, no, no, no, no. You know where the NHL team stay when they come to Vancouver. Yes, okay, maybe maybe you do, But how the hell the thousands of people figure out where the Spurs stay.
Speaker 1: It's it's easy. It's because they're gonna be at the Ritz Carlton or four seasons or whatever. Right, it's gonna be that, right, Donny. I I think though, it's I were if they If the Spurs win Game five, I think it's going seven games only because what did we see in Game three?
Speaker 5: I can't see the Spurs are a good team. I can't see them losing. I mean, of course you can see them losing, but they're owing two at home?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Serious?
Speaker 1: But I just think I think the nervous energy we saw in Game three with the Knicks, the Knicks looks scared of being an MSG. We heard about the ticket prices, the celabs trump.
Speaker 5: I bet they're not scared anymore.
Speaker 4: Ah I I I bet it's I bet they overcame a twenty nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure, but that's not gonna happen again. It's not gonna happen again. Like, let's be honest. The Spurs rolled over and they shouldn't have. I just wonder about the nervous energy for the Knicks at home. Could win in Game six, I think you'd be feeling a lot.
Speaker 5: Tell Wenby to stop taunting and maybe, yeah, maybe they'll be Okay, I would like to see as a sports fan that a six game at Madison Square Guard. Oh, because we've talked about this a lot on our show that I am and I believe you two are the same, and I'm fan of building. I wanted to see the Montreal Canadians advance of the Stanley Cup final, if for no other reason than the history and the Bell Center. Same thing. I want to see big games Rangers Knicks at Madison Square Garden. Did you see how.
Speaker 1: Full it was like ten minutes after the game ended last night?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Usually like understandably no, but one of the broadcasters said, like in New York, usually it's like we got to get to the subway. We need to get out of here, especially down Anyway.
Speaker 5: Exactly, crazy, outstanding. Okay, we got time for a little knuck talk here for three minutes. Oh okay, so let's go here. Then this just broke. There's some other other news regarding the Cannucks as Thomas Answer article that we want to talk about, and some Jake Depress trade rumors or one roomer at least out of Ottawa. But Patrick Calvin and we we he has landed a job, and you wondered when Patrick Alvin, it just seemed, okay, I'm going to use the word seem like a puppet in Vancouver. Jim Roth, no question, So you no question how much respect was out there for him, Jimmy round the show the show Hockey League, And I think the answer is that the guy has some respect.
Speaker 6: He's been hired by the Seattle Kraken vice president and assistant GM. And Ryan are we going to show this just down the highway? Patrick Alvin? We mentioned this yesterday. It's been out there that Seattle was one of the teams talking to him. And he's got a relationship with Jason botterrall the GM that goes back to Pittsburgh when they were all together with Jim Rutherford. So these guys, uh, you know, helping each other out. And so he's going to be the vice president and assistant GM in Seattle. Down the highway? Are you going to show the quote and Rick Talk? When Rick Talked left Vancouver, he took a shot at the practice facility. One of the reasons he left. Theyucks don't even have a practice facility. Now they're talking, We're done. Just down the street here Britannia, Britannia. So anyways, So there's Patrick Alvin in his press release. Absolutely no one asked him about the practice facility in Seattle, which is one of the best in the league. And out of the blue.
Speaker 1: It's the second line here, it's.
Speaker 6: The second line.
Speaker 5: Can you make a smaller?
Speaker 6: Can you? Right? I got glasses and I can't see that it's from a long press cause anyways, the practice facility is phenomenal, best in the league.
Speaker 5: These are Alvin's where it's listening on the podcast, so you know what.
Speaker 6: No one asked about the This is a shot wait the whole thing. Oh, okay, here we go. This is Alvin. I liked everything I heard from Jason about the good people in the organization. The practice facility is phenomenal, best in the league. The support of the Kraken in the city, in the region was evident every time I've been down there. So no one asked him about the practice facility unsolicited, unsolicited, This is a shot at the Order of Vancouver. Uh take her to the bank, Rick Talcket. One of the reasons you left, no practice facility. And here's uh, Patrick Elvin, out of the blue. No one asked him about the practice Diciliiti in Seattle unsolicited mentions it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well that the same thing happened with archer Sealovs in Pitts.
Speaker 6: Remember that.
Speaker 5: Yes, he talked about how great the practice facility was. I'm not sure he asked a question about the practice facility. So a little dig at the at the Vancouver connection. Get that practice facility done. What's happening, by the way, well, you couldn't come up with the name of the place they're thinking of having it Bretagna.
Speaker 6: As you mentioned, there's still uh in negotiation talks with him. And until I see the shovel going the ground, you know it's not done.
Speaker 5: They will be when Calgary finishes things off. The only team in the NHL with facility. They've gone on and on a horrible, horrible, horrible and obviously you know, people with the conducts were getation. They can say what they want. It's a thing, right, it's they can say it's you know, they'll get around to it. Maybe it's not that big, it is a big.
Speaker 6: Thing, but they will get it done. They will get it done.
Speaker 5: Yep. Okay, here's what's coming up on the show. DTMC is it just me? In the eleven o'clock hour we alluded to this. Milan Luchard's Pride of East Vancouver has retired after seventeen NHL seasons. He spent this past season playing pro hockey in Scotland. Milan's going to talk about that. We recorded the interview moments ago. That's just around eleven fifteen or so. Farhand is going to join us just after eleven. He's on the World Cup beat right now. Farhand World Cup starting today with a couple of games in Mexico. Canada opens tomorrow in Toronto against Bosnia and Farhan. I'll talk about that, and of course the Lion's opening up against the Sketch One on Saturday. Big Ride the Twitter guy later this hour and up next from a sports net Jason Bukla, Yes, former head of amateur scouting for the Florida Panther, works for sports that his final list going into the draft of prospects is mock draft is out there on sportsnet dot ca. So we're going to talk to Jason and see what he thinks about who the Conducts might take at number three. June twenty sixth at the NHL Entry Draft. Thanks so much for tuning in. Folks, Donnie and Dolly the team I.
Speaker 2: Check Donnie and Dollie.
Speaker 7: The team is supported by Ableauctions dot ca. Closing your Business we can help.
Speaker 5: Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 4: And sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 6: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 5: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, Please email sales at able Auctions dot C.
Speaker 4: That's sales at a b l E Auctions dot ca.
Speaker 5: A It's Thursday and all Today's a guest including Jason Bookle is standing by, brought to you by the vank of a Canadian celebrating anniversary seventy five. Ce's at home taking on Everett. Tonight you can catch a postgame fireworks extravaganza. Is that tonight is all right? First Pitch is seven O five and Tomorrow Saturday and Sunday First Pitch a nooner one all five.
Speaker 6: Gotta love It.
Speaker 5: For tickets and info, visit m i LB dot com slash Vancouver. The internet full of pictures of Alan Iverson Yeah with the Vancouver Canadian. Do you see that?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I saw that on a In Street and Philly. Yeah, on his street, Alan Iverson Way, Alanson Way.
Speaker 6: How cool is that?
Speaker 5: Jason Bookle is going to join US now from Sportstead and the Pro Hockey Group. Former director of amateur scouting for the Florida Panthers, has released his final ranking of the top one hundred. This guy works hard. Top one hundred NHL Draft prospects. You can check it out on sportsn dot CA. He has Iver Stenberg at number one, followed by Gavin McKenna number two, and wouldn't you know it, Caleb Malholtra at number three. Where the Cannucks pick twenty twenty six NHL Draft Round one, June twenty sixth, Jason joins US now.
Speaker 6: Thanks for doing this, sir.
Speaker 8: How are you great to be here? Fellas?
Speaker 9: I love the intro to I love minor league baseball. Anybody people who don't go watch minor league baseball are missing out on great entertainment.
Speaker 8: It's awesome.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Nat Bailey is a gem. If you ever get out here, Jason, or maybe maybe you have, I'm not sure. And they have nice hats, yes.
Speaker 8: Yes, they got great hats.
Speaker 5: Ivor Stanberg over Gavin McKenna on your list, how come?
Speaker 9: Well, honestly, guys, thanks for having me. First of all, you know what he he came to life for me. Well, I shouldn't say this year, because he's been on my radar for the last couple of years for people in Canada and North America, even out of side, out of mind. Right when you're seeing Gavin McKenna run up the numbers he did in medicine had the year previously, and Stenberg was doing fantastic things on the world stage for Team Sweden and then his club team in Sweden in the build up to this year. Why at Christmas time there was a separation between the two of them, Guys. Stenberg took another step at the World Junior. Yes, McKenna had a productive World Junior, but Stenberg stood out for a variety of reasons outside of just point production at that time. And I have to be honest, McKenna's game went to a whole new level in the second half of the season past the World Juniors, but Stenberg's didn't fall off, and the reality is that he had to fall off that perch.
Speaker 8: And he just didn't do that.
Speaker 9: And the end of the season on a high representing Sweden at the Men's World Hockey Championship, appoint a game there as a draft eligible prospect. That doesn't happen very often. And he's just a special, special player. I'm splitting hairs though. I'm calling this one A and one A. That's how close it is. They're just they're just different players. Stembergs he's a little bit more responsible in all three zones. He's going to be more uh, he's gonna be more buttoned up from a team perspective. But then you got McKenna, who's going to be that quick, strake, offensive guy. And and they just approached the game differently, and pick your poison.
Speaker 8: They're both gonna be fabulous players.
Speaker 6: Jason, as you can imagine Caleb Mahold, your dad's coaching a Vancouver boy. It's a hot button issue in this town. I'll tell you that much right now. But let's talk about the player. If the Canucks get him, what are they getting?
Speaker 5: Wow?
Speaker 9: Complete players. So anybody that watched Manny play and I know you guys, did you appreciate Manny for what he did off the puck and defensively, and certainly in the face off tyde and and the character that he he persevered through the NHL his NHL career with and he's he's brought that to his coaching pedigree obviously, So the apple doesn't fall far from the tree here, Guys. Caleb Majoltra, he's a two hundred foot player. He was used in all situations in Branford with the Bulldogs, and they had a really good team. They had several high end NHL draft picks on their team, but Caleb persevered and one out over a lot of those guys for ice time and key situations throughout the course of the year, including playoffs. I mean, the kid had thirteen and thirteen in the playoffs.
Speaker 8: His face off work, if you will, that's just going to be a work in progress.
Speaker 9: You know, a lot of the younger guys that coming to the league, it takes some time to win draws against the best players in the world.
Speaker 8: But he's going to be six to two.
Speaker 9: Hundred plus pounds by the time he's done. He plays with speed, he's tenacious, His big game compliments his a game and what I mean by that is on his best days, you're going to see offense and he's going to produce for you, and he's going to score key, key goals, but his big game. On the days that he's not scoring, you're going to be able to throw them out on the penalty kill or on a road game, he's going to be able to match up against top six forward groups from your opponents. So he's kind of like a bo Horvat value wise for me if the Vancouver Canucks were to select him.
Speaker 8: And that's the kind of leader he is too.
Speaker 9: He was the captain of a team CHL in the US National team development program CHL kind of prospects game there, and boy, there's lots to like.
Speaker 8: He's mature beyond his ears.
Speaker 6: Hey, I heard a lot of good things about Vancouver Giants defenseman Ryan Linn at the Combine in Buffalo. You got him ranked twelve, some teams got him fourteen to fifteen. Talk about him and what kind of season he had and what you expect in the pros with him.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's you know, I've been tracking Ryan for a couple of years at the Major junior and then at the Team Canada levels. And so Ryan Lynn a year ago with the Vancouver Giants, guys easily identifiable as you can identify him as a transitional defenseman of powerplay quarterback, no problem there. This year he took his confidence in terms of getting to the net more often to another level. So this is a kid that can transport the puck as as a one man breakout from below his goal line, hit the rush with the puck on his stick, on his own or if he outlets it. As you guys know of the NHL game today, defensemen are way more active than they've ever been, and he can come as an extra layer there, almost be like an offenseman, a fourth forward off the rush. Here's what stood out for me in the back half of the season and why he rose in my ranking. His defensive His attention to defensive detail went to a new level. And then on top of that, and I don't expect them to be overly punishing at the NHL level, but he was gapping up to kill place physically in the neutral zone or even on zone exits for his opponent in their zone. So instead of just pitching down to extend a play if he couldn't get puck on stick. He was making sure that that opponent was not going to be able to exit their zone without sometimes being put right on their backside. So that physicality that he added at the end of the year that added to his value. And then combine, guys, he hit it out of the park with his interview. He's a really good kid, really gregarious personality. I think he's going to be a great pro and he's going to be a powerplay quarterback in the NHL.
Speaker 6: A couple of BC boys got to ask you, you got Liam and Marcus rock twins both in the first round. Going to be amazing, Jason to see if one team can get both. But talk about these two that had a phenomenal season of medicine at.
Speaker 9: I'll tell you something and again, almost to a man, these kids, I've been doing.
Speaker 8: This a long time follows.
Speaker 9: This is like my twenty fourth draft, And when I first got into this, a lot of the kids that came through, they were almost programmed. You guys, interview a lot of people, you know how you know when you get into an interview and it's almost it's set up to be answered, almost robotically. The kids this year especially were not like that. At all and especially the Rock Twins now listen, they openly admit they want to play together at the NHL level. They're hoping that a team can pull that off. But great personalities. Liam's a little bit different than Marcus. I would say Marcus is a little bit more inward where Liam's more outward. But these two kids, Marcus is the play maker in the middle of the ice, outstanding puck touch, great vision and I'm not talking tunnel vision. I'm not just talking about what's in front of you. I'm talking about spatial awareness, and that's all he makes plays. Then Liam's the guy that shoots the puck, leg off the rush. All He's scored forty seven goals, but over eighty percent of his goals, guys came from between the hash marks in high danger areas. That's the key, isn't it, Because you know, when they get to the NHL, you can shoot it all you want, but NHL goalies from the perimeter, that puck is not going in the net. You better get to the hard areas. So that's what Liam is. You got a playmaker versus the shooter. I'm curious to see what NHL team tries to tries to grab them both here in a couple of.
Speaker 5: Weeks, JA, let's go back to the top of your list, or near the top of your list. A group of defensemen. Here Keaton Verhoff at number five, followed by Chase in order, Chase Reed, Carson, Carls Daxon, Rudolph Albert Smith, all defenseman. What, in your opinion, not everybody shares this separates Keaton Verhoff from those other d men.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you're right, they don't. And here's what separates it from me.
Speaker 9: Last year in Victoria and the WHL he had twenty one goals. Guys, if he stays back and he plays major junior hockey this year instead of being a very young seventeen year old challenging himself at the college level, Like, what does.
Speaker 3: That look like?
Speaker 9: You know, I think part of what you have to if you look at the top of my list, even one through ten, there's a real melting pot of players there. You got the Stenbergs who played pro, McKenna played college, maultra major junior, Verhoff college read major junior. What the challenge for scouts is that imagine we have to try and imagine if they were all suiting up in the same game and competing against each other. So having said that, Verhoff, at seventeen, goes to college hockey, he challenges himself to be a little bit different than he would have had to be at the major junior level. I think he would have added over thirty goals. I think he would have played thirty minutes a night for Victoria. He goes down to North Dakota. His numbers, his offensive metrics this year at North Dakota, it's the third highest in the history of the NCAA offensively for a draft eligible prospect. So I just feel like people, and I don't care about other people. Everybody has their own system. Everybody's going to have their own projections. For me, I'm giving him more praise, if you will, for the fact that he did it against much older, stronger, heavier, faster competition, and he evolved in other areas of his game defensively, et cetera. And the other thing fellas, he can't teach size.
Speaker 8: You just can't.
Speaker 9: But you're going to be six four, six foot five, two hundred and twenty five pounds when he's done. I mean that's and he's a right shot. You know how value those guys are how valuable those guys are come trade deadlines, right, the teams overpay for these guys.
Speaker 8: So for me, he.
Speaker 9: Reminds me a lot of Aaron ek Blad when we drafted him in Florida years ago, and I think he deserves to be where he is on my list.
Speaker 5: Talk with Jason Bucola just before we let you go, You've got on your list at number twenty four with the Canucks pick later in the first round, William Hackinson, a left shot demon out of Sweden. Give us maybe him a dark horse player, someone who the Canucks might grab at twenty four that you would be in favor of.
Speaker 9: Yeah, so I've got the hack there. I love this guy. If you did you guys like Mattias Oland when he was a Yeah, absolutely, because if you like if you like Matthias Oland, you guys would love William Hackinson. This guy is big, strong, he's got some nasty to him. He's efficient, guys, and I use that that I make that statement because he's gonna be one of those guys that you're you're gonna watch the game. And so if he especially as a first round pick, people are gonna say, well, I wish she did this and I wish he did that. But you know what happens at the end of the night. When you have enough of these type of efficient players, big rigs on the back end, especially, you win more games.
Speaker 8: And that's the name of the game. You got to win.
Speaker 9: And he's he's big, he's long, he's physical, he makes a good first pas and what he does. You talk about a Ryan Lynn. If you pair him with a Ryan Lynn, Ryan Lynn can be that fourth, fourth forward off the rush if he will, he can be kind of he can free wheel and play more free because the Hack's going to be back there protecting the house and doing what he does well. So I love that kid. If they get him, I'll be I'll be dancing a jig for the Vancouver Canucks. That'll be very, very very good day for them.
Speaker 5: He should be a curler, the Hack And Jason, you got to you gotta tell me this, the Canucks have any chance of drafting the captain of this year's draft All Name Team, Ben macbeth, Yeah.
Speaker 9: Well he'll be there. He'll be there for sure, Ben macbeth. I've got him a little bit later. He's a late bloomer. Guys like this guy played so here's the guy that had already committed to go to college, but because of the CHL rules changing, he comes to the Western Hockey they to go play in Calgary this year. He's a Carson Carl's light. And what I mean by that is left shot. Not quite as physical as Carson Carls, but super agile. He can run a power play. You can do a variety of things. And that's another guy that in the back half of the season. Shot blocking, secondary perseverance in the defensive zone, that pushback that you need a game B game. I think that would be a really good addition as well.
Speaker 5: Jason. We could go on for two hours, do this the whole show. Than this has been fabulous. If we did that, we'd have to start paying you. We don't have that tight budget here, otherwise it would be a done deal. Thanks so much for this, buddy.
Speaker 8: Guys.
Speaker 9: This is great. I appreciate you having me on. This is our super Bowl, so I could talk. I could film up the mouth for hours. Have me back anytime.
Speaker 5: Oh right, we will. You'll regret saying that, Jason, Thanks for this.
Speaker 8: Yeah, boys, have a great weekend.
Speaker 5: You bet. Jason Buokla, former Florida Panthers, head of amateur Scouting Sportsnet Pro Hockey Group. Now, by the way, we mentioned Ryan Lynn Math of the Vancouver Giants, or formerly of the Vancouver Giants. Mathis Preston of the Vancouver Giants. Jason has him at number thirty five, so early in the second round, he had a really impressive combine. I believe he finished top ten at six six of the events.
Speaker 6: He'd have been ranked higher, but he came from the Vancouver Jis got hurt right away, so from Spokane all right.
Speaker 5: Later on four analogy, he's going to join us at eleven o'clock. Milan Lucas said around eleven fifteen or so. He's retiring after seventeen NHL seasons. Up next Wadling Dog poll question. We'll introduce it Donnie Delay to the team on Jack. Looking for the ultimate Vancouver Island getaway. Head to beautiful Parksville and experience the Bayside ocean front resort where every stay feels like a vacation. You'll never forget. From sunrise walks on the beach to sunsets on the patio. Bayside puts you steps from the sand with ocean views in every direction. Splashing the indoor and outdoor pools, hit the fitness center, then relaxed with a hand crafted cocktail at the ocean front restaurant and lounge. Whether it's date night, a family trip, or a corporate event, Bayside is your perfect year round escape. Book your getaway now at two five zero two four eight eight tiple three. Your island adventure starts here. Remember that dead electric leaf blower in the garage, still hoping it'll come back to life.
Speaker 6: OPEIC is BC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment.
Speaker 5: Just like other electronics, electric lawn and garden equipment can also be recycled when it reaches the end of its useful life.
Speaker 6: Old electric yard tools don't have band up in the landfill. If you're an electric outdoor power equipment capy fixed, it could be recycled.
Speaker 5: Whether it's a leaf blower, trimmer, or lawnmower. Many can be recycled for free in BC. Visit opeic dot CA to find a depot near you and recycle responsibly. That's Opeice dot CAO.
Speaker 9: Oh Jamaica.
Speaker 5: Okay, I heard this song?
Speaker 6: Great song, I mean.
Speaker 5: On the radio. Yeah, over the last twenty four hours and I can't get it out of my head. I told you that. Now you're playing it again, it's gonna be there for another twenty four hours.
Speaker 1: Just to you know, let everybody in this morning, million stories going on. I'm trying to ask you know, what are we gonna do? Iwry mapping things out? You give me the heisman, Just stop everything and you fire this song on. Yeah, you have to listen to it for three and knucklebolts.
Speaker 5: Nothing wrong. You remember the movie Cocktail?
Speaker 6: Are you kidding me? In nineteen eighty eight?
Speaker 5: This song?
Speaker 6: Beautiful song.
Speaker 1: John SteamOS on the steel drums, Uncle Jes, Uncle Jesse.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Steymos in Full Life, Full House, Full House, Full House, Old Grant Hughes.
Speaker 5: Grant Hughes was in it.
Speaker 6: Grant, just stop with the grand hughs.
Speaker 1: Well, it's gonna take a while and the.
Speaker 5: People aren't stopping the Grand Hughes address me, okay. Wadling Dog a poll question experience one of Victoria's iconic destinations, The Dog, Catch the World Cup? What happened to the music? Yeah? Catch the World Cup of the Dog. With Canada games shown live and loud on all twenty two TVs with full sound, come sit and stay at the dog. Today you have the option of having the people at the dog turned down the sound and play cookable.
Speaker 6: Great song, just a great song. Anything in the eighties was great. This was in the eighties eighty eight.
Speaker 1: Paul, Okay, so we can show it. But Twitter is having an issue right now. So yeah, I know that the results aren't results.
Speaker 5: That we don't have any normal for us.
Speaker 6: Yeah, nokidding.
Speaker 1: We have no votes and no results at the moment to share from our poll question, unfortunately.
Speaker 6: But the poll question is oh, yeah, okay, by how would you describe your interest level in the twenty twenty six World Cup high lower met Well, right now, everyone's zero, everyone's zero. But for me, it's uh, why what are you talking about? It's the world's biggest sporting don I'm a sports guy. We're in a Canadian market for hockey, We're in a Canadian country for hockey. I just got I'm not feeling any buzz. I'm sorry.
Speaker 5: Uh, I will say hi because I know that's where it'll go. Like right now, there are a lot of negative the ticket prices. What happened with the BC Sports Hall of Fame? Eventually, when when there are all these negative stories surrounding a sporting event. Eventually what takes over the sport. Soccer is a wonderful, wonderful sport. It's not our number one sport here in Canada, but eventually sports takes over and our interest, my interest will end up being high and you'll be the same way.
Speaker 4: You'll come in here and you'll be like a soccer.
Speaker 6: Expra In a few weeks in Qatar, I was, I was. You were there, No, I was over the moon with because Canada was building up and building up and building up, and they qualified and they did you know, they did well. In my eyes, they were competitive, so it built up. I am not feeling anything. I don't have anybody texting me going, hey you got your World Cup tickets? Hey, I got.
Speaker 1: More people nobody's asking no.
Speaker 6: Not, I got more people asking me about Curtis Douglas dead in soccer. That's just the honest truth.
Speaker 5: I also rick people know that you won't pay for anything.
Speaker 6: So there's no I'm not paying five, six, seven hundred bucks to watch soccer.
Speaker 5: There's not.
Speaker 6: That's a cold day in hell.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I agree that ticket prices are too high, but.
Speaker 4: It's like going to watch the games on television.
Speaker 6: I will watch, We'll watch on team in sports.
Speaker 5: The great sport of soccer will take over and my interests will end up being high. Do you feel the same way, Ryan, Uh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I don't know. My plan is to go to the fan festival tomorrow or on Saturday.
Speaker 6: Story, no buzz, no bust. I'm not feeling like going to get a coffee every day. I don't feel anything. I'm right here in downtown. I don't feel anything.
Speaker 5: If people knew, or you get a coffee, they know, there'd be absolutely nobody.
Speaker 1: Now that you see, like the soccer ball on Science World and you see all no bus.
Speaker 6: You don't see, look no bus.
Speaker 5: And I go for a walk after work and I go around Science World. The amount of people clearly from out of town taking photos of tourists, tourists, Yes, all sorts of big numbers there. Yeah okay, yeah, well no, I don't I don't think it's just tourists. I think it's a really cool thing. So I don't know what the cost. I can't imagine, but it's it's cool to look. I want to feel better.
Speaker 6: If I felt the buzz, I would tell you I felt everything.
Speaker 5: Is excited about anything.
Speaker 6: That is true. If I felt the buzz, I would tell you there's a buzz, there's no buzz, So you claim there's more buzz about. We are in downtown. I'm walking around downtown. I feel nothing.
Speaker 5: You don't walk around.
Speaker 6: I'm going to get a coffee for you every day. Yeah, I got no buzz. I got no one stopping me and saying, hey, Ricky, who's gonna stop people?
Speaker 5: So you're saying, say, if there's a Stanley cup, fo people are gonna go, hey.
Speaker 6: Rick jolly people I have. I'm feeling no buzz.
Speaker 5: I want to your sports will take over and eventually people will stop you in the streets and say, hey, it's.
Speaker 6: Not about starting about feel I don't over hear anybody talking. Hey, you hear spains the town Sometimes in the cost you don't win, you you you hear what people in front of you? Nothing again, you no one's talking sport soccer.
Speaker 5: So do you hear people talking about Curtis Curtis Douglas.
Speaker 6: I hear that in the street. I heard it. I heard a couple in front of the coffee line the other day. There's no way.
Speaker 1: I will say, because we don't have any poll results. The majority summary of the box is either low or mad. At the moment, I don't mark my words.
Speaker 5: It'll get you. What if Canada advances and you look at the way they'll set up this year, I think I don't want to jinx. I think it's pretty good chance they're going to advance past the group stage.
Speaker 1: I'm curious if you if you, because we're down here all the time, If you don't come downtown, I'm curious.
Speaker 5: Where I get yea, you know what I mean, because like I tell my wife and kids, you got to see downtown, see the colors, then you got the big you know, science, SI, soccer ball. It's all They're like, really, what what are you talking about? Well, it's pretty impressive. Yeah, it is impressive. I don't know how much it costs.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Controversy.
Speaker 6: You don't feel the buzz in downtown, You're not going to get it out in the burbs. I mean, that's that's the real buzz downtown.
Speaker 5: Now. It took a while.
Speaker 1: I agree with Donnie. When Canada is playing here in Vancouver, the day of that game is going.
Speaker 6: To be because there's going to be fifty thousand people going to BC place. Yes, but even now there is no buzz.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I hear that there there are and problems with Canada.
Speaker 6: That's that's well, that's every day and now this and.
Speaker 5: They decided they've decided to call up Curtis.
Speaker 6: He got hurt cone Most right, what's his last name?
Speaker 1: Bombido?
Speaker 6: Yeah, what's is noise?
Speaker 5: Yeah, got hurt that first name. It's not Brazil here, Okay.
Speaker 6: Most I heard about another injury this most you heard Hulford Bruff mentioned it. Another injury for this most guy.
Speaker 5: He got her latest development is the midfielder, the great midfielder cone Ill yesterday wasn't able to take part in practice, and he has transcended to the point where he's right behind uh Alfonso Davies, who's also not gonna just like as one of their best players. Yeah, it's a it's a big, big deal. But you just focus on Moses there, whoever you think it is, and I'm sure things will work out. You'll get into it. You'll get into it and you'll be an expert in your own mind. We have a time for anything.
Speaker 6: Else, athlete.
Speaker 1: No, this is rusty in the whack, just quickly. Yeah, I never watched soccer guys, but I'm all in for the World Cup. It's the biggest sporting event in the world. Just hung up my canine flag on my patio.
Speaker 5: There you go.
Speaker 6: Okay, And and you know what, good guy Rusty, you throw that.
Speaker 5: Well, he kind of disagrees with you, but he's got the flag up. You throw that maple leaf on anything, and Canadians are going to get an interesting You're.
Speaker 6: Gonna get into its gym and amnastics, let it get going, Letty, maybe not that, but yeah, Lori funk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, but like a hype in hysteria around it was a big deal back, Steve, are you kidding me?
Speaker 5: In rhythmic gymnastics? But you can use yeah everybody. Okay, we're good, Abel, Abel, okay, Abel. Little business first. A major BC based television series is Tracker.
Speaker 6: That's what it is.
Speaker 1: There's a reason it's not in the script. People in the inbox believe it's that. But let's just stick in the copy.
Speaker 5: So you're doubting our great customers, are you?
Speaker 1: I'm siding with our great client, That's what I'm doing.
Speaker 5: That's a good point. A major BC based television series is relocating future production to California, California a look at this and has instructed Able Auctions to sell tens of thousands of set decorations prompts Warbrobe items to the highest bidder, and yes it includes that beautiful looking gray leather couch. Everything from amazing designer furniture to weird and unique prompts must be previewed to be appreciated. Take a look for yourself this Saturday, ten am to four pm at the massive Langley TV studio. Where's that studio?
Speaker 6: Rather, where is that?
Speaker 1: I believe it's near me and Walnut Grove. There's a massive you can visit Ryan Anderson.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you're selling a couch.
Speaker 5: For information on this unique auction, go to able Auctions dot CAA b l E Auctions dot CAA farhand Top of the Hour, Milan Luchart Sat eleven fifteen or so. Up next that guy big Rye, Donny Delly, the team, won't you three foot hot postgame fireworks Friday noons and the future Toronto Blue Jays right in your backyard. Catch a Vancouver Canadians game this summer as they celebrate seventy five years at nat Bailey Stadium For tickets promotions and more information. Visit Canadians Baseball dot com or call six oh four eight, seven to two, five two, three to two today and we mentioned this at the top of the show. World Cup starting the NBA Finals, Stanley Cup Finals, BC Lions Open Saturday, A huge Sakatchewan against the Rough Riders, a huge game debuting the road Pacific Frost Jerseys, which I like, but I also like the Gray Ones on the road, the late Gray Ones they had the last couple of years.
Speaker 1: But McAvoy said yesterday every road game I think is Pacific.
Speaker 5: Every road game. Yeah, yeah, big right.
Speaker 1: I believe we're gonna have Nathan Rourke on the program Monday. By the way. Oh, it just heads up on that. Okay tonight Game five, Stanley Cup Final back in Carolina. They go, uh so, of course the conversation, who's going to be in net for the Carolina Hurricanes conversation. You don't think it's a conversation, No, oh, you think it should be bussy all the way through?
Speaker 5: Now, yes, okay, depending on what happens.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 1: This is courtesy Adam gold Rod, Brenda or Freddie skated this morning Anderson everyone is available. That's all I'm saying. About the lineup. Everybody is available. So we had that instance where he needed a break. According to the goalie coach, so Brenda Moore. Once he was told that, he said, okay, fine, he's talking to back up nothing. Let's give him an actual break day off. So by this logic, it seems as though at the very least he's going to be backing up this evening now because Brandon Bussy was also in the starter's net. By the way, A practice think.
Speaker 5: There's a question about Bussy starting this game.
Speaker 1: I think so.
Speaker 11: No.
Speaker 1: Toney that was his first playoff start the other night on the road, absolutely lost.
Speaker 5: The game in overtime in Vegas. Right in game three, he played really well in the third period and the overtime. If Anderson was healthy, he would have started Game four. Bussey would have started Game four.
Speaker 1: He's the guy that got them there. So I think it's I'm I'm not overly surprised there's still a conversation. I don't think it's a slam dunk. I don't think anybody's like, yeah, yeah, for sure, he's.
Speaker 5: I think Bussy to some extent, and maybe it's the left handedness. I don't know. He's just he's very very I think he's in the Knight's heads to some extent. Well, there's also there's there's not a lot there, but I think he is to some extent.
Speaker 1: You also see these stories in the playoffs of the guy that's like the unknown, right, and he goes on a heater like Matt Murray did that. Jordan Bittington did that for the Blues, right.
Speaker 5: Ken Ryden, going back to nineteen seventy one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, these things, what did you call it?
Speaker 5: He said that you have no appreciation for history, you have no appreciation for the current. There's there was never been a story like Ken Dryden, god bro of course.
Speaker 6: Of course Cornell University was Cornell.
Speaker 5: Yes, and he won the con smile yeah before he crazy?
Speaker 6: And what was sickening about Ken Dryd and the teams were so good in front of him, and yet they had this outstanding goaltender just to boot you know, hey, we're great out of nowhere, out of nowhere, and we had this oh, great forwards, great defense, Oh and we got this all star goalie. Crazy.
Speaker 5: Richard Burder eighty two, yes, said go wait, you're getting there.
Speaker 1: You went from the seventies to the eighties, there you.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, but see, you wouldn't appreciate Richard Burder. You you wouldn't appreciate it behind me in the spring of eighty two. Yeah, a little Ricky had every game, every game, it was all King Richard, King Richard. You wouldn't appreciate.
Speaker 5: That they made a song about him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they made okay, stick him with the hockey theme. But a local story close to the home here the Golden Eyes, which I have to this the friend of the show. Jen Gardner inking a three year contract extension yesterday with the Vancouver Golden Eyes. The expansion draft process is ongoing because of course they've added those new teams Vegas, San Jose, Froy, Hamilton, and Detroit. Those are the four. So because the contract extension, Jen is now exempt is she's a protected player in the expansion process, along with Sarah Nurse, who of course resigned this offseason as well. Golden I is still looking for a head coach after they fired their head coach.
Speaker 5: So there's about with.
Speaker 1: Well I because Seattle Seattle fired their head coach as well. So would she fit because of course the Kraken and Seattle, But yeah, would she want to stay in Seattle I'm not sure, but anyway, friend of the program, Jed Gardner is sticking around with the Vancouver Golden Eyed, so I have to mention that for.
Speaker 5: Sure they only protect three players.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well Hillary Knight, she just did the sign in trade. She's going back to Detroit. So it's it's interesting the way they're doing the expansion draft process. But it's ongoing. But yeah, there's like there's like stages of it. I think they're in like the third phase or something at this point. So it's been interesting. But congrats to Jen Greg. Glad to see she's sticking around with the Golden Ice. Okay, you guys talked a bit about FIFA. I just want to get this in quickly. Yesterday this is uh FIFA president Janny Infentino.
Speaker 6: This is the guy that wanted the motorcate correct in Vancouver.
Speaker 1: Correct. So yesterday in Mexico he did his kickoff press conference for the head of the World Cup starting today in Mexico. He's he defended World Cup pricing. This is the tweet defending World Cup pricing, says average ticket price is comparable to US pro sports playoffs.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and you and I talked about this before the show that you can't make that comparedion.
Speaker 1: No you can't America. I'm sorry, you can't. I understand. And we had Victim wontag Leanni on the program. He talked about this too. The eyeballs for these games are unlike anything else. I'm not I'm not taking that away from anything, but that's a different conversation than the people that are willing to buck up the money, the seven hundred dollars, the nine hundred dollars, whatever it is to go see Qatar in Australia.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: There's a reason why these games aren't sold out. There's not tons of tickets available. The reason they're not sold out, And there's a reason why. I like, I know people that have their tickets on the resale market and they've had them on there for some time and they haven't moved. There's a reason for that.
Speaker 5: Well, it is the number one sports in the world. It is not the number one sport in North America. In North America, no, And I just I wonder some of these FIFA people, some of them faith with people here at turning to don cherry. It's like they don't realize that I'm sure make comparison. You can't make that comparison. Well you can, you can do whatever you want. Everything's open to opinion. But it just I think you have to diel it down a little bit your expectations when it comes to pricing, because it's not the number one it's just a fabulous sport and I understand why it's the number one sport around the world. But the ticket pricing versus what would you read most people in North America Stanley Cup playoffs, NBA Finals, super Bowl.
Speaker 1: But the weird pick of those. The weird thing is soccer. People tell you that other World Cups. This is insane.
Speaker 6: That doesn't matter that other World Cups are in soccer great countries.
Speaker 5: Correct, Quitar was cheaper, I believe That's what I'm saying right now to me.
Speaker 1: If you had it in Europe, let's say, then maybe these prices would drive more. You have it in a non traditional place, and yet the price the highest ever.
Speaker 6: Look at the price of groceries, the gas prices. We live in an expensive country. You know, you watch for a soccer.
Speaker 5: Game, there's a lot of expensive countries. But I just think that when it comes to business, like what's better for your business, uh, your ticket prices being overpriced or lowering them a bit in order to grow the game more in the valuable market of North America. And I think they missed an opportunity.
Speaker 1: But I think they didn't want to see. This is what you're starting to see with artists too. I don't think they want to lose out on.
Speaker 5: The secondary maright and he's he he addressed that, right.
Speaker 1: So why should I let Joe over here that bought his tickets at one hundred makes six hundred bucks off met okay?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 5: Issue? Altogether, I hate that, Yeah, I hate that.
Speaker 1: Looks like there's legislation coming. And look at Ontario right that the face value can't be higher and all that stuff. I think eventually that's going to come to other places, but it's interesting. Up next a load at eleven o'clock hour, Milan lou Cheat around eleven fifteen. Farhand Logy is next. It's Donnie the team on check.
Speaker 5: Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dully and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 6: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget and spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast, and on social media.
Speaker 5: We'd love to get involved with your company called two five oh eight eight twenty two eighty two or email.
Speaker 4: Advertise at Checkmedia dot ca.
Speaker 5: It is Thursday, and all of our guests today on this Thursday, including Farhand standing by Stationery, brought to you by the Vancouver Canadian celebrating anniversary seventy five The Caesar at Home taking on Everett Tonight, you can catch a postgame fireworks Extravaganza First Pitch seven o five Tomorrow Saturday and Sunday first Pitch one oh five. For tickets at info, visit mi LB dot com slash Vancouver. As we bring in TSN World Cup correspondent Farhand Longy, how are you, sir?
Speaker 11: World Cup correspondent things.
Speaker 12: I never expect to hear it next to my name, but it's going to be exciting to be a part of it.
Speaker 11: Should be funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 12: I heard Rick on the show this morning and Rick insists there's no buzz buzzz killed, So tell me where we're at, Like, Rick, are you excited to get.
Speaker 6: To be so? Hey? Hold day, you just came from the FanFest.
Speaker 5: Is there a buzz there?
Speaker 11: Actually?
Speaker 5: Is that? Now?
Speaker 11: When I was there, it was it was.
Speaker 12: About nine point fifteen, nine twenty. When I went on air, FanFest began at ten, but when I left there were big lineups at every entrance, probably a couple thousand people in the lineups at each spot. So I would imagine that by now, you know, close to noon, I think there'd be a lot of people there. And having gone there yesterday for the for the tour, the technical briefing as it were, it's spectacular. Like you know, we we all have been to the fair right many times, but if you go there now, and we're not just talking about the Amphitheater, but all of the activations and everything else that's down there.
Speaker 11: They've got all of these kind of BC themed areas.
Speaker 12: You know, the the you know, the neighborhood and the backyard and the campground and all these different places that are kind of the vineyard that are all BC themed. It's an entirely different feel. Well, then what would you would normally get when you.
Speaker 5: Go to the fair.
Speaker 12: It can handle about twenty five thousand people. There are screens everywhere, so if you want to go to an area where you want to bring your kids, you know, you don't want it as loud. If you want to go to an area where just the vibe is upbeat, or you know, with a lot of additional music going on. They've got the two stages that are there, one hundred and thirty different acts. I mean, there's even music that you're gonna like, Rick, I know you're fussy when it comes to your music.
Speaker 5: I know you're yeah.
Speaker 12: I know you like your eighty your electronic techno, you like your techno, and so there's there's that.
Speaker 11: They got a bit of everything, and it's free for the most part. It is free. So for the most part, so to get on site is free.
Speaker 12: All the seating areas and everything like that are free, except for in the Amphitheater. There are the ring there, their main seating area. There's a cost to that. Those are a little more expensive, right, they're over one hundred dollars. But in front of those prime seats there's a general admission concrete platform where you don't have seats. You can just stand there and those are free. And then up above behind the seats there's a grass area and I think those tickets are.
Speaker 11: About forty dollars each.
Speaker 12: So you know, if you're paying for the tickets, you can come in and out it's a little more convenient that way. But if you're not, then you know, if you leave, you might have to it might be harder to get back in and get your seat because as soon as someone leaves, whoever's in line next, they're going to let them in.
Speaker 11: But just overall, I.
Speaker 12: Mean, you could go to the other stage get a free concert there.
Speaker 11: So ninety five percent of everything at the venue is free.
Speaker 5: Okay. So Canada opens Friday in Toronto versus Bosnia. First game at BC play Saturday Australia versus Turkey. I believe it's a nine pm start with time zones in mind with those two countries. So what can you tell us and I saw your report earlier this week on TSAM, what can you tell us about alterations that have been made beyond the turf at BC Place.
Speaker 12: Well, you know, in terms of the stadium, I think the biggest legacy pieces honestly, and people will kind of roll their eyes at this, but it's the VIP at hospitality areas because if you go up to kind of that level three where all the suites are, there's a bunch of additional places that have been added there, like areas.
Speaker 11: That weren't being used for hosting.
Speaker 12: Previously some areas that were kind of office space that's no longer being used. They just basically gutted all of that and they created a number of additional areas.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 12: The downside is the press box, the main press box, you know at the midfield area, that's also now a VIP hosting area.
Speaker 11: So once the World Cup is over, you can't use that for media anymore.
Speaker 12: You're just gonna be able to use media B, which is the old baseball press box in the corner. Not ideal for football, but so you know whatever. Like it's those areas if you get a chance to get to them, and they're not exorbitantly priced either are like again you've gotta have a ticket to get into the game. But then this is this is kind of an add on if you want that experience.
Speaker 11: Those are great. There's also some down below. But you know, the main thing, you know.
Speaker 12: In terms of upgrades that you're going to see and feel is that turf's pretty amazing. Like the grass. It smells like grass, and when it's over all of it's gonna get dug out. There's actually a forty centimeter elevation from where the normal turf used to be because they had to put the dirt and everything down and then eventually add the grass here. Eventually all of that comes out, including the old turf, and they're gonna have brand new turf again. That part will be synthetic for the Lions and the white Caps. But yeah, that's kind of the future of it. I'll tell you what though. Both those teams, the Lines and the white Caps would love this grass for the rest of the season.
Speaker 11: It's too bad they couldn't at least make that work.
Speaker 6: And one of those teams in Regina on Saturday for the opener for the BC Lions, what kind of game are you expecting it? And the Rough Riders are going to put their banner up, their Great Cup banner, and that's a Western Final. Last year the Lions blue. They shouldn't have lost that game. Now they got to go back there for the opener.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and I think both teams are going to be motivated, right because if you're the white Caps or the white Caps, if you're the Riders and you've got the ring celebration and the banners and everything going on. I mean, you know, regardless of the team, that's a game you don't want to lose, right, So certainly the stadium is going to be full. I think they were at thirty thousand and.
Speaker 11: As of yesterday or as of this morning maybe, so.
Speaker 12: You know, they'll be in that thirty three range where it's going to be loud and it's gonna be electric.
Speaker 11: But honestly, I kind of think the Lions are better.
Speaker 12: And I say that just because I think the Riders have lost more pieces than BC has, So I'm not saying the Riders are gonna be bad. They've still got Trevor Harris, who was outstanding last year. You know, I fully believe Trevor's gonna have another good year. But I just think it's going to take time for that group to come together, whereas I think bc'son a bit better of a pocision to hit the ground running. Neither team played last week, so there's no advantage there gained one way or the other. But I just think the Lions, because there's more roster continuity, are in a better position to have early success.
Speaker 6: Teams are calling on Jake Debrsk as a possibility he could get moved, and he's a guy that said, hey, look, I don't think I want to be around here for the rebuild. Is that a move that conducts should make?
Speaker 12: I think so, and not because at five point five million he's making abs exorbitant dollars.
Speaker 11: But I do think that if you can move.
Speaker 12: The term, it's not a bad thing. And if the Brendan Gallagher thing plays out, I think they have to move Jake thebrust because what I don't want to see and look, I think Brendan Gallagher can bring value for a year and I don't think it's gonna cost him anything to get him. But what I don't want to see is another veteran player that blocks a path for a young player to make this team. I think that would be really, really unfortunate and needless at this stage of the game. So I understand that Brendan Gallagher is a culture carrier. I think you'd be a great fit in the room. Obviously, he's motivated to come back home and play, and there's a lot of positives for bringing him here, But adding another veteran to the veterans that are already there makes no sense to me. So if you're going to bring in Brendan Gallagher, I'd be moving Jake Debrusk Okay, very.
Speaker 5: Quickly, Frank, can you remember a time when the NBA and NHL Championship series were this enthralling at the same time?
Speaker 12: Yeah, probably ninety four, right, I mean when you go back to that and that went seven games and then and I think the I think that the Rockets and the Knicks were also in that boat. Now the OJ year, right, Like I remember watching the OJ chase during Game five of the NBA Final, which.
Speaker 11: Was pretty wild.
Speaker 12: But yeah, I mean just in terms of both games being that compelling, and it's you know, not all seven game series are created equally, right When you look at that game last night at MSG and that comeback, I mean, you know, I'm gonna be honest, I just viewing the second halby, it was more of a choke job than a comeback and just terrorless basketball on the part of the person. In my mind, there were so many things they could have done differently. I thought it was a poorly coach coach fourth quarter. So I know you need to give the next credit and everyone will add to the hype factor and what it means simply because it's New York, right, and just the scenes after the game about how long the fans were sticking around.
Speaker 11: And things like that.
Speaker 12: You know, nobody wanting to leave, and you know all of those things. But you know, you go to look at the hockey series and just you know, no lead is safe and three goal comebacks on a nightly basis and anything like that, you know, and basketball, for me, it's it's the sport where home field or home court matters the most, and the numbers have shown that over the years because you're right on top of the officials. Fans are right on top of the officials, and it does have a material effect on how often teams go to the line and how aggressive teams teams choose to be that ultimately draws fouls.
Speaker 11: So it does have an effect.
Speaker 12: And yet three or four road teams have won, and you've got similar a similar situation with the hockey, right, but all the road teams winning, yes, So just yeah, not all seven game series are created equally and all these series are compelling.
Speaker 11: I don't think the Spurs are done yet.
Speaker 5: All right, get back to work. Thanks for this, see you boys, Thanks for not driving this time. Fourhand logy t s and I'm going to disagree with you and farhand anybody else who talks about ninety four as a comparison to this year in terms of the NHL Finals, Why and the NBA Finals being so good at the same time because both those series. First of all, both those series in ninety four involved in New York teams, which helps colored people's opinion. But Rockets over the Knicks and seven a Rangel over the Cadocks in seven And I'm gonna say that because people forget Rockets over the Knicks. It so Michael Jordan was involved in his first retirement, and so I find that those I all due respect to a chemolage one who spent time in Vancouver in the offseason back then, kind of an artificial title to me. So I'm gonna, I'm gonna I'm gonna disagree with all due respect. Okay, Milan Luchits has retired after seventeen NHL seasons. He's from as Vancouver. He's gonna join his next Johnny and Dolly the team on Jack, Dolly and Dolly.
Speaker 7: The Team is supported by Abelauctions dotz A Closing your Business We Can.
Speaker 5: Help Able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business.
Speaker 4: And sell their assets. In a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 6: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 5: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at ableauctions dot Ca. Do't sales at ab LA auctions dot Ca. As mentioned, all, today's guest brought to you by the Vancouver Canadian celebrating anniversary seventy five. They're involved in a series right now at the nat Versus Everett Fireworks tonight. For tickets and info, visit MLB dot com. Slash Vancouver prid of These Vancouver Former Vancouver Giant Milan Lucic, friend of the show, longtime friend of the show, going back to our ten forty days, retiring after seventeen NHL seasons close to twelve hundred games. Who want to Stanley Cup infamously here in Vancouver with Boston back in twenty eleven, played for LA Edmonton and Calgary. A last played at the start of the twenty twenty three to twenty four NHL season. He played this past season in Scotland for the Fife Flyers. He's thirty eight years old, and we recorded this interview before the show and that's where we started the conversation with Milan. He's still in Scotland as a matter of fact, and we asked him to start things off what his Scottish experience on the ice was like.
Speaker 10: It was, you know what it was. It was great for the family, It was great living here. It was a great place to move to, great place to live, you know, in the home of golf here, you know, where the flyers play were like forty minutes from Saint Andrew's with all the golf courses around, so that was a lot of fun. Reconnecting with Garrett Hunt, my old team from the Vancouver.
Speaker 3: Giants was awesome.
Speaker 10: And but the hockey side, it was an experience, I guess that's the nice way to put it.
Speaker 5: Do you want to leave it at that or do you want to get into specifics.
Speaker 3: I will get into specifics.
Speaker 10: But the good part about it was, you know, you know, it gives me a lot of peace, you know, heading into retirement, because it made me realize that I just didn't have anything left. So I'm really really glad that I did it. And the fans here and the support from all the fire Flyers was was really awesome. So I would say it was a good.
Speaker 3: Experience for sure.
Speaker 5: Okay, so meanwhile, you have announced your decision to retire. How tough was that decision, miliin what went through your head?
Speaker 3: I don't think it was a tough decision.
Speaker 10: I think, you know, I I think I'm very fortunate and grateful that I got to play for a really long time. I was also really lucky that I got to start as a nineteen year old back in seven where I was that summer, I was more focused on defending the Memorial Cup than making the Boston Bruins. But you know, I've played hard. I got to play for four really great organizations with a lot of great players, won a Stanley Cup, won a World Championship, one a WHL Championship, one of them Cups. So other than the Olympics, which you know, I don't think I'm gonna win to be a part of any time soon. Even if I kept playing, you know, there was not much more for me to do. And like I said, I think this last year, with this comeback, I just realized that I just didn't have that love and passion to be a player anymore more So it wasn't and he's it wasn't a hard decision for me, and I just wanted to now focus on the next chapter of my life and spending time with the with the wife and kids and and.
Speaker 3: And move move on from being a hockey player.
Speaker 5: Any any question, and you just talked about it, you touched on any question. Winning the Cup in twenty eleven with Boston against your hometown Vancouver, Cox was the highlight of the line of your career.
Speaker 10: Yeah, one hundred percent. I mean, you know, that's a dream come true for any kid. You know, that's why you know, that's why you lace him up. That's what you dream of playing is to raise the Stanley Cup. I was lucky that I did it in my hometown, you know. And not only that, like even the two thousand and sixth draft was in Vancouver, which is coming up on the twenty fourth, twenty years, which was actually an amazing draft for the Boston Bruins. Taking Kessel in the first round, me in the second round, Brad Marshan in the third round, and eating Great Croft for Tuca all on the same day. That's that's pretty you know, that's an organizational change. You know, that's that's helped them be good for set them up for you know, almost twenty years. And but yeah, you know, that's that's definitely the highlight of my career. I'm also you know, I'm getting to play with some really great players and the Hall of famers that I got to play with, and one of my favorite players growing up was Jerome mcgimma, and getting to be his linemate for a year. You know, sometimes I had to pinch myself that I'm playing with the guy that I you know, idolized as a teenager, and so a lot of great memories, and like I said, I'm really really grateful for that.
Speaker 5: Hey, how strange was that? I think I've asked you this before in previous interviews, but how strange was that playing against your hometown team in that twenty eleven Stanley Cup final, playing for a team that your hometown hated Milan?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 10: It honestly, looking back, it was strange. Obviously I was excited about it because you know, just for friends and family, you know, not having to go too far to watch the Stanley Cup finals. But you know, if if if I wasn't playing against him, I definitely would have been cheering for the Canucks to try to win their first Stanley Cup. I would say early on, probably the first game, it was strange. But once, you know, once once it got going and once you know, the emotions kicked on and everything like that, you you forget about all that and you just go out there and try to win and play hockey. So it's it's I mean the aftermath was also a little strange.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 10: Sometimes I still hear people telling me how we cheated and all this type of stuff. But you know, I just, you know, I just tried to have good interactions with people in Vancouver. I love the people in Vancouver. I love all the hockey fans in Vancouver. But it was definitely, uh yeah, it writes a good story. I guess that's that's a good way to put it.
Speaker 6: Hey, Maladd, let's go back to the Banham Draft. You didn't go in the draft three years later, second round pick. Talk about that time and how tough it was, and then what did you do to get through that period and still make it reck.
Speaker 10: I'm glad you brought that up, because you know, I remember when the draft was over and I got home from school, you know, sitting at the dinner table with my parents and brothers, and you know, I broke down.
Speaker 3: You know, I was crying. I was upset.
Speaker 10: You know, I thought, you know, after that day in two thousand and three, that you know, I wasn't going to have a chance at all to to live my dream of being a hockey player. But if if anything, it was probably the best thing that happened to me, you know, looking back, because you know, it.
Speaker 3: Made me work harder.
Speaker 10: It you know, it built some resilience in me, and it, you know, it made me bet on myself even more, made me realize I needed to work on things that I felt I needed to get better at because you know, I wasn't good enough at the time to be taken in the Bandam draft. And every time I see it, you know, there's I'm sure there's a lot of kids that feel the same way that I did back in two thousand and three not getting drafted.
Speaker 3: But you know, it's if I did get drafted, let's.
Speaker 10: Say by you know, Brandon or a Swift Current or any other team, you know, and maybe I wouldn't. I ended up on the Giants and things went as well as it did and a big part of my success too was playing for Don hay And and it just happened that, you know, I was I ended up on the South Delta ice Hawks, playing out of the load of Leisure Center, and Don was at the rink and decided to watch a game, and next thing you know, I'm listed, you know, for the Vancouver Giants on their protected list. And you know, I give Shane Cuss a lot of credit, who was the coach for the Delta Hutt ice Socks back then. You know, he making that Junior B team was the hardest team that I ever had to make, because finally someone took a chance on me, and that's all I needed, was someone to take a chance on me. And all the chips started to fall after that. And like I was getting into with, you know, getting the chance to play for Don Hey, I mean the two years with him, all the details and habits and work ethic that he helped me with and instilled in me, helped me have this great seventeen year career. So, like I said, at the time, I was upset, rightfully so, but you know it was probably, like I said, it was probably the best thing that ever happened to me was not getting drafted in that band of draft.
Speaker 6: All right, thirty eight years old? Do you stay in hockey? Like? What are you gonna have opportunities? Maybe you work for your agents Jerry and Scott, But what's going on here? What are you gonna do now?
Speaker 10: I'd like to stay in hockey. I love the game. I've always been a student of the game. I still watch NHL hockey as much as I can. You know, I've I wouldn't say it was a hockey nerd, but all my teammates you still always say how you know they were impressed by my memory and and plays that happened in games, whether it was five years ago or ten years ago or.
Speaker 3: Anything like that.
Speaker 10: But so I'd like to stay in the game in some capacity, see what opportunities are out there, whether it's you know, scouting or player development or coaching or any anything like that. So, you know, just stay in the game because I have a lot of love for the game.
Speaker 5: Still one more alone, if you don't mind. You didn't back down from anybody in your day. What's your take on the need for toughness in today's National Hockey League. I think it's a little bit different.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I think the term.
Speaker 10: Or the definition of toughness is a little different now. It's not so much fighting, but I think the toughness still needs to be there, but the definition has changed, you know, the just being hard and being hard in front of the net, whether you're on the offensive side or defensive side, for check in finishing your hits, being hard to play against. I think that's more of the definition of toughness now. And if you see the two teams that are currently playing the finals, they have a lot of team toughness.
Speaker 3: It's not so much fighting.
Speaker 10: But I also know, you know, when teams still have a guy that's willing to drop the gloves and stand up for his teammates. You know, all his players around him are a little bit taller and a little bit heavier just having a guy because they know he'll have their back. But you know, so, like I said, I think the definition has changed, but I think it's still a really big, big, big part of the game.
Speaker 5: You've always been good to us, Milan. We thank you so much for this interview. Best of luck in the future.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks for having me, guys.
Speaker 5: Five hundred and eighty six points in his NHL career close to twelve hundred games. Who would have thought you mentioned in that interview getting passed over in the bantam draft all those years ago. You've got some business.
Speaker 6: All you kids out there, don't quit if you don't go in the bottom draft. All right, the world is coming up Vancouver and Pastime Sports and Games. As you covered. When it comes to jerseys, scarves, other collectibles celebrating the beautiful game, there's never been a bigger time to show off your team colors led by Canada as a host country. You may also want to honor your favorites in Europe, South America, Asia or Africa. For more information and strong locations, visit Pastime Sports dot c A laptop for.
Speaker 1: The laptop quickly, Panini World Cup stickers on the far right, Ronaldo card in the middle, Maradonna H figurine, m NIX collectible figurine on the left, and I got more of those collectible figurines will show later.
Speaker 5: Well look forward to that DTMCX Donnie del had the team on check. Remember that dead electric leaf blower in the garage, still hoping it'll come back to life.
Speaker 6: Oh pe I see is PC's recycling program for battery powered and electric outdoor power equipment.
Speaker 5: Just like other electronics, electric lawn and garden equipment can also be recycled when it reaches the end of its useful life.
Speaker 6: All the electric yard tools don't have to end up in the landfill. If your electric outdoor power equipment cappy fixed, it can be recycled.
Speaker 5: Whether it's a leaf blower, trimmer or lawnmower. Many can be recycled for free in BC. Visit opeic dot Ca to find a depot near you and recycle responsibly.
Speaker 4: That's ope ic dot Ca.
Speaker 6: It's eleven thirty four on a Thursday morning, Donnie Dolly on CHECKTV. Now time for DTMC brought to you by the world famous Whistler Golf Club GUCI Big all out.
Speaker 5: Their Great Track Great Track DTMZ brought to you by there Arnold Palmer Designs the golf club. If but a golfer is to stay up to date with Phase two of their golf course renovation on Instagram at Whistler Golf and just a reminder of the golf shop and driving range will remain open up at Whistler this summer very quickly. Not much time here, but report out of Ottawa. As we move away from the entertainment field and back to what we're supposed to do during these two hours, sports report out of Ottawa Senator is interested in acquiring Jake Debresque. Rick coming off a fifth twenty goal season in his career. Still five years left on his contract, but he's cost control, so a lot of term left.
Speaker 6: Very good number. Guy scores twenty goals plus season every year. Twenty three goals this year, nineteen on the power play. Also means you're not producing five on five, Donny, but that's another story for the Canucks. You're trying to fix their dressing him. It makes sense. He made sure that he made it clear he does want to be around for the rebuild.
Speaker 5: And as we move on from Jake Debresk breaking news out of Edmonton, someone wants out of Edmonton.
Speaker 1: Alia Friedman and Mark Spector have a dual article up at Sportsnet right now. Darnold Nurses asked for a trade and degrees it's time for a fresh start. He's apparently giving three to five teams to the authors. It's a steep cap hit.
Speaker 5: So yeah, look, there would have to be some retention there would imagine.
Speaker 6: Rick Oh big contract, big contract, But you choose up a lot of minutes, whether you like him or not. Yeah, choose up a lot of minutes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and who in a lot of minutes? And how do you replace those minutes?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: I'm not saying he's Bobby or by any means, but I think there's value there and he's It's one of these situations where very good player. I realize there's flaws, but he's been there so long that everybody focuses on the flaws and not what he does well, including eat up minutes.
Speaker 6: Okay, birthdays, All right, here we go, Ry, get up, get a sponsor up, donnian doll. He's a backscratchers and dental flaws emporium and ball zach Alberta just outside of Calgary. This guy was the second round pick of the Flyers in nineteen eighty four, drafted out of the University of Wisconsin, traded to the Orders and a six foot deal that included Yardry Curry going to Philadelphia, went to Florida in the expansion Draft. Scored the Panthers' first ever goal in franchise history in nineteen ninety three, played in the nineteen ninety six All Star game. Come on. Retired playing the third most NHL games fourteen hundred, never won a cup, never won a Cup. Drafted by Philadelphia, Philadelphia eighty four. Come on. His name's popped up here in Vancouver as a possible assistant chance Scott Melanbie, Scott Mellanbie, Scott Mellanbie. And he's still He's a good friend of Ryan Johnson.
Speaker 5: Why do I not remember this Yari Curry.
Speaker 6: Trade because Curry never ended up playing for Philly. He was moved right away. That's why. So there you go. This guy was a Canucks third round pick in two thousand and one, played for Windsor and Sudbury in the OHL. What only play seven games for the Canucks, mostly played in Manitoba with the Moose. Canucks traded him to the Rangers in two thousand and five in his sixty left the NHL for Russia. He's got a famous, famous brother. He was beaten up by Kevin Biachter Federoff, Feeder, Federoff, feder And what a great story that was beaking off to Canada. Well, and he was beating off, something happened with a beer and boom Bixa was at one punch.
Speaker 5: And Biexa was worried that he was going to be asked to leave the organization. Instead, Brian Burke said, he beat up Federoff.
Speaker 6: Sign him, sign him. Brian Burke loved the story. Yeah, that was a great story. All right. This actor, I tell you boy, I loved him back in the eighties.
Speaker 5: Oh there's a good clue.
Speaker 6: Just stop. His first film role was that of a hostage in the nineteen sixty seven motion picture Bonnie and Clyde. His first major film role was Leopold Bloom in the nineteen sixty seven film The Producers. He was nominated for Best Supporting Actor Academy Award. He was in Woody Allen's Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex But You Were Afraid to nineteen seventy two Good Show. He was Willie Wonka and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Oh what a great movie that was. Geene Wilder, Ah, I knew you get it as soon as I said Charlie and the Chocolate Chocolate Factory.
Speaker 5: That were one of those movies where we decided, hey, we'll have our kids watch this, and I realized it's really strange, so odd it was. Yeah, ahead, of its time or just standalone weird by itself.
Speaker 6: But him and Richard sh him and Richard Pryor stir crazy. Silver Street was Silver Street. He did a lot of films with Richard Pryor, but ster Crazy. I think King Kong Bundy was here.
Speaker 5: Missing is Young Frankenstein?
Speaker 6: Young frank have movies? Yeah, Young Frankenstein The Adventures? Okay, okay, we're the woman who read. I think Gene Wilder was great. I absolutely loved him, all right. This actor made his film debut in the Christmas Path in nineteen.
Speaker 5: Ninety eight, The Christmas Path Path.
Speaker 6: In the early two thousands, he was Lewis Stevens on the Disney Channel week Chila buff.
Speaker 1: Shilah buff?
Speaker 6: Is it she up? Or are you saying the boof? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Okay, that's it.
Speaker 6: That's it. That's did he get it right or not? It's Shila boof? But listen, how do you know even Stephen's the Disney show, Rick, there.
Speaker 1: Is a two thousands man like that show?
Speaker 5: Was?
Speaker 1: I love that show?
Speaker 6: Even Stephen? Yes, goodness, you know what I've never heard of it? Oh man? It was huge? That was that sounds for that ex me that the Amanda Show with Amanda Vines. But his best best movie was Disturbia. It was good, great movie, really good.
Speaker 5: But next to a neighbor yeah, oh very god.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Disturbing Oles was a good movie.
Speaker 5: He's got issues, yeah, well.
Speaker 6: Especially when he's had off field or movie problems.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, he's got a temper.
Speaker 6: He's got a temper.
Speaker 5: What is a June eleventh?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Is it just me?
Speaker 5: Coming up? The late Prince Sporns sixty eight years ago, this past Sunday and he's gonna play us out from May of nineteen eighty four, Rick Yours the eighties and the album Purple Rain, This Just Prints and when Doves Cry You remember this Chia like this? Oh fun check dig if you will the picture on a BC Thursday morning?
Speaker 6: Is it just me?
Speaker 5: Neer?
Speaker 13: The BC Construction Safety Alliance is a not for profit association that makes safety simpler by providing health and safety services and programs to more than fifty seven thousand construction employers and two hundred and twenty thousand workers across the province. We want to bring the BCCSA safety message directly to your job site. Book a free visit from the BCCSA Safety on Tour Mobile Trailer on Tours instructor guides your workers through a series of dynamic safety demonstrations, from the effectiveness of fall arrest systems to the power of proper head protection. At now to book a memorable safety on Tour experience at safety Ontour dot.
Speaker 6: Ca Is it just me?
Speaker 5: Brought to you by oh p EIC Outdoor Power Equipment Institute of Canada. Did you know you could recycle electric lawn and guarden equipment for free? Oh PEIC operates a province wide network of recycling depots to ensure old electric outdoor power equipment gets collected and recycled responsibly. You'd know this, Rick if you ever did yardwork. Visit OPEIC dot ca A to get more info. Oh p E I see dot ca A.
Speaker 6: Is it just me?
Speaker 7: Go?
Speaker 5: All right?
Speaker 6: Here we go? But it's is it just me? But it goes to show you how much Don H. Peterson that he says that Darnell Nurse has value, but Peterson isn't worth a bag of pox. Come on, Don Sheldon from Surrey, Surrey.
Speaker 5: It contributes regularly and we thank him for that. I don't remember Darnell Nurse being accused of not staying in shape in the off season.
Speaker 6: Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 5: That's all I'll say. Yeah, is it just me? Okay, let me go back. Okay. Maybe maybe I'm a little sensitive when it comes to this sort of thing. Would you make that trade contracts aside Darnell Nurse for Lias Patterson?
Speaker 6: I think I would. I think I would. I think you get way more invested player, You get a way more invested player. I think I think I would.
Speaker 5: Is it just me? But I don't know what's some more stupid take. I'm not supporting the CFL because they don't want to pay a dollar a day to use to zone or Curtis Douglas is a bigger story in Vancouver than the World Cup. Y L O L. Tan Beer, your buddy.
Speaker 6: Tan Beer first of all, is an idiot. Second of all, I never said Curtis Douglas is a biggert. I'm saying I get more questions about Curtis Douglas than the World Cup. That's all I'm telling you. Don't read that, idiots. You said you were in line. No, it was in line at Timmy's and I heard a couple of people in front of me talking about Curtis Douglas. But I haven't heard. I haven't heard anybody in line talking about the World Cup about the coffee shop lineup. I listened to people in the coffee shop lineup. I think it's amusing. I think it's good. You guys are dinosaurs on the World Cup issue. Get off, get on the bandwagon, or just leave it off your program. It's embarrassing. No name to that submission.
Speaker 5: We have Paul Dolan as a regular exactly exactly during the world coverage Zach about a whole lot where I think people, some people who love their soccer are upset that we're not big fans of the ticket prices or what happened with the BC Sports Hall of Fame. As I said earlier. For people who don't think it's a big deal, I guarantee the eight sport of soccer, sports itself will take over. People will end up being more interested than they are right now. I just don't know about it. I don't they're going to go to the buck up and go to the games.
Speaker 6: I feel no buzz. I feel no buzz.
Speaker 5: In that coffee shop plant.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think other than the coffee shop.
Speaker 5: David Cedar is just me or did Dully miss Today's most Important Kodak Black twenty nine.
Speaker 6: David Cedars, great guy. I love David Sedar, but Dave, I don't know anything about Kodak Black to come up with the quarter back other than what he did at the Panthers game, I have none. I have no.
Speaker 5: I wonder if Kodak has any idea because it was at a Panthers game before the Panthers where you got fad Yeah, more of a respected franchise. I wonder if he realizes what a legend he is in Vancouver.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Kodak Black, but I'm not doing Kodak Black. I don't know anything about his music anyways. Go ahead, Jeez from Surrey.
Speaker 5: Is it just me? But I'm pretty sure I saw Rick downtown grabbing a coffee with Grant Hughes this morning. There's a lot of Grant Hughes's.
Speaker 6: Grant, I made a mistake. Is it okay to make a mistake once in a while?
Speaker 5: Derek band name? Okay? Because we're gonna reveal our band names early or late June, early July. The Grand Hughes.
Speaker 6: Experience, Yes, Grand Hughes Experience or Project Cannacks have got to stop using the excuse that Land is expensive in Vancouver for the practice facility. Land is more expensive than other NHL cities. Get it done, Aqua Chipo. That's from Eden White Rock.
Speaker 5: Thank you, ed, Eric in a lot of people feel that way, Eric in East West Van. Is it just me? But speaking of nineteen ninety four, I love the thirty for thirty doc June seventeenth, nineteen ninety four that all the sports events happening on that day overshadowed by oj in the Bronco. That's a thirty for thirty the documentary, as he mentioned, Eric, thank you very much for that. It is fabulous. Yes, it is right up there with the two Escobars, also thirty for thirty. But that June seventeenth, nineteen ninety four, Arnold Palmer's last competitive round think at the US Open, Ken Griffy breaking an MLB record. There's all sorts of things including the Bronco chase and the Rangers parade NEUK Rangers parade, sorry Canuck fans in ninety four, and what was happening with the Knicks and Rockets. Just absolutely fabulous documentary.
Speaker 6: Absolutely your bang on about that. So I've heard FIFA selling a world Cup soccer jersey for five hundred dollars. Dominic in the Ridge. This is again when you see there's no buzz about soccer. Tickets are seven hundred bucks, as Dominic says, jerseys are five hundred bucks. I mean, don this is ridiculous.
Speaker 5: This style one of the tourists that come into town, or the soccer efficionados that we know people that care more about the game than maybe you and I and Ryan do. We do care, but well they buck up for that, so maybe we're not the ones to comment on that. Like a lot of things around here. Okay, break, we'll wrap up the show in the poll. Question next Wildling donk Pole question Donnie Della. The team on check.
Speaker 6: Looking for one of Victor. Where is most iconic stays? The award winning Wattling Dog has been welcoming guests and their dogs for over thirty years. Ten minutes from the airport in the Ferry. Their room lend vented charm with modern comfort, making it the perfect home base for your island adventures. Your trip isn't complete without a stop at the legendary Waddling Dog. Pop twenty taps, Waldwall TVs Every Canucks game and UFC pay per view, plus an extensive daily happy hour, and before you go, stock up at their cold beer wine store, hundreds of local and imported options, plus exclusive Donnie and Dolly merchandise. The Dog isn't just a hotel, It's a destination. Come, sit and stay, don Pole, Rick Ryan, get her up the Wattling Dog. Pop pop question. How would you describe your interest level in the twenty twenty six World Cup? And look at this, All these people up in me because I said I don't feel the buzz. Look at this. Fifty two percent say men, followed by twenty eight to twenty nine percent say absolutely high, and then nineteen percent say low. So take a look at that, Donnie. Seventy percent basically essentially are saying to you it's either low or meh and so, and I'm getting rid of I will bet.
Speaker 5: That the man will turn into high, which is the first time I've used that since. When the World Cup starts, you said it sports entertainment, soccer entertainment will will take over. It always does. People were against the Olympics.
Speaker 6: That's true, and then when then it happened, it was like that wonderful. It was wonderful okay, go photos, all right.
Speaker 1: I got a photo. Oh this is uh, this is somebody you guys know. I know quite well. That's my brother.
Speaker 5: Ah, how many pictures of your brother?
Speaker 6: Where is that? I don't have a short.
Speaker 5: Photo my brother on the show.
Speaker 1: I don't know this in his D and D golf shirt at Banne Beach in Croatia. Oh okay, my cousin is getting married in Dubrovnick today.
Speaker 5: Welcome were not there.
Speaker 1: It's a great question to stick it out with you two and Derek so him and his wife yelling out, are over for Mitchen Live's wedding and beautiful Dubrovnick today.
Speaker 5: Beautiful, he almost said to Brusnick.
Speaker 1: Almost almost look at.
Speaker 6: That water overseas great photo.
Speaker 1: Did you have a birthday or something?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 6: I have two of them? Absolutely, Ted maple Ridge a seventy first birthday today, big fan of the show, Hughes and stop with the grand huse. Howard by the Dog another big view of ours is turning sixty two. So Ted maple Ridge and Howard by the Dog. I think's in Victoria. Happy birthday to both of you guys.
Speaker 5: Happy birthday Howard and Ted.
Speaker 6: Anymore, that's it that's it. Okay?
Speaker 5: Is it just me? I'd like to know why this is unsigned, Why the grass at BC plays can't stay after FIFA for the rest of the season for the Lions and Caps. If BC taxpayers paid for it all, then they should have to say whether it stays or goes. I'm gonna guess that the answer is maintenance slash money. Yes, the roof's going to be closed for all all seven of the or seven plus matches at BC place the daytime, yes, but it will be open at other times in order to help the grass grow or to maintain the grass. Absolutely, but it's not a bad suggestion. But again money. Thanks for watching, folks on behalf of Ryan Derek Rick, everybody here at OH play and check I'm done and you're up to date in world of sports.
Speaker 6: Jaylan Brusson allowing the omerate at the top one O one Bruckson gets it fires up at grade shot No good, but that's god, It's good.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dollie for all the latest show content.