Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of April twenty eighth, we're continuing with Running Point on Netflix with episode six The Yips. So I guess this is common to any sport, the yips when you just like suddenly can't do something you've done a million times before with ease. And in this case it is the young rookie Dyson who can't who cannot get a free throw to save his life. And we did learn some of his backstory that he played for the Long Beach Recks I believe was the team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a lot of fun as it's expensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it was very It was a cute storyline because it was they brought in Isla, brought in this older Indian woman who is the coach of the national women's team in India or something. I think that's what they said, to teach him how to shoot free throws.
Speaker 3: Can't.
Speaker 2: Her solution is, you have to do it granny style, since she's she he's obviously a granny underhand and you know, of course this works, but you know he's embarrassed to do it. So once again Marcus has to save the day, which this is.
Speaker 3: What the third or fourth time he's done that.
Speaker 2: He comes in and shoots some granny baskets to to show dyce in that it's okay, okay.
Speaker 1: Yes, very nice. Meanwhile, there is much to do about whether they're going to trade Marcus right and her brothers. Ila's brothers want her to. She does not, but the word gets out that they are, and all sorts of craziness ensues. Because of that, his bodyguard had to leave this dog behind.
Speaker 2: Again, Yes, the bodyguards reminds me a little bit of did you watch thirty Rock?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: Okay, So the Tracy Morgan character on thirty Rock, he had these two like bodyguard slash companions named Griz and dot Com. They were they were great characters, you know, just like yeah, they had you know, full backstories, and they had range and everything. You know, they weren't just like these two goons. So that reminded me a little bit of this moment.
Speaker 1: So and also Ala goes to confront this guy on the Sports show played by John Glazer who was jam in parts of reck right.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I knew he looked familiar.
Speaker 1: Were primed to find him kind of weasily. Yes, And anyway, of course her you know, she turned off the visual. But this audio of rants.
Speaker 2: You knew you know that, I mean, that was another classic sitcom moment, like, of course this is going to be recorded and released out into the world.
Speaker 1: Like and there was a few times I kind of wondered, did she mean for it to be Yeah, this proves to Marcus that she it was not her right And a bunch of times she was smiling in such a way that made me think was she the leak? Did she put it out there so that she could refute it or was the At one point it seemed like maybe the coach was the leak, and is it even a leak if it's not true. I don't know if that word is even really the right word.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but we.
Speaker 1: Did fine, and we find that it was the oldest brother who's right in rehab, Dylan rehab, you know what is his game? So that seemed weird to me because it seemed like it was in one way and that she was in control again not and also speaking of not in control.
Speaker 3: Jackie, oh, jackiey.
Speaker 1: Jackie, Jackie Jackie. He definitely didn't know the trap he was walking into. But these were the Gordon Jeans exercising themselves like, hey, here's a girl I really like and I had a great date with her. Let me just go off with these floozies and you know, who have shown themselves to be completely irresponsible. Right Oh golly h me?
Speaker 3: No, Yeah, once again saw that coming.
Speaker 1: If super hot girls are just coming on to you out of nowhere, and you know, make sure that they put their phones someplace.
Speaker 3: Far away before you go, or just don't be it.
Speaker 1: Or just don't go with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Try that.
Speaker 1: If it seems too good to be true, it's too good. Yes, cut that out, cut that out? Oh man, dummy, yep, not once, but twice. I know what I mean. I guess if you've never been in a position to have women just inviting you for sex randomly in your day, it would be appealing if you were a dude. But uh still, come on, man, I don't think your mother would approve of that. No, stop it. Yeah, yeah, that was that was unfortunate. I was fine with the main plot, even though I was confused in the end because they seemed to be changing their minds about what was going on. But don't mess with Jackie, guys. Come on, I want to like him. That date with the girl was so cute.
Speaker 3: Come on, so cute.
Speaker 1: Stop it. They'll be back. They'll be bad, they'll get back.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's mad right now.
Speaker 1: But that girl's agent is pushing hard. All right. She's gonna be mad at him for a while, but she's coming.
Speaker 2: Back together, right right right.
Speaker 3: He'll prove himself.
Speaker 1: Like contract that says that please sign on this line. Don't give somebody your phone. Kids, don't give somebody your phone. They say they want to put something in your phone, ask them to tell you what it is, and put it in yourself. Who gave only sweet innocence? We just hand their phone over. Yes, what do we do usually for that sort of thing? We just have them call us and then it's recorded on their phone.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, or text us or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yes, text me and then I'll have your number and then I'll text you back and you'll have no I haven't. Right, that's the way you do it. You don't ever hand your phone to anybody for any reason. No, no, no, no, no, especially if you don't have a password on it. Come on, honey, somebody take this boy aside ali his duties, to help help him be a good assistant, teach him how not to be taken advantage of by groupies, right, okay.
Speaker 2: Come on, poor little Jackie.
Speaker 1: There were lots of sibling dynamics in this one. Yes, h the two brothers theoretically being the leak and Isla having to deal with them right by first in a paint by by paintball attacking them, which was hilarious, but then later on when they did the same to her. One on two is not the same as two on.
Speaker 3: One, sat.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and they right, she had safety glasses on, but no, but no opportunity to take off her probably very expensive suit she was wearing.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, she's still paying off the dress they got ruined in the pool. Yeah, they got money. We don't have to worry about that.
Speaker 2: Which, by the way, that the stylist that they showed is a real person, like who is famous for styling famous people in Zendeia? Is his big yes, his big client, which they mentioned they dropped her name.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, she won't know who you are.
Speaker 2: And he like famously, like a day or two after the Oscars a couple of years ago, He's like, Okay, I'm good, I'm done. Now, I've done. I've done it. I'm taking a break or I'm retiring or whatever. I'm just going to go on TV shows now he's ready.
Speaker 1: Now he's going to go on TV I guess and drop names of my former CLIENTSH it'll be fine.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I enjoyed from a parenting point of view, the when Ailah went to uh, what's her fiance's name, lev Lev's place of work and started cursing. Right, old kid behind the curtains started saying, that's a bad word. You want to be the mom of bad kid, don't you who just walks around going that's a bad word. It's very good if you've instilled good moral grounds in your childhroom, But when you need to use that word.
Speaker 4: Yeah, leaving aside the whole children, the whole fact that there's no way Ila barges in to yes.
Speaker 3: A doctor's exam room when.
Speaker 1: He's with a page right details. Yeah, we're not going to worry about that. You got that little child after a gig.
Speaker 3: Come on, ye for him?
Speaker 1: Good and uh child after playing young Isla who didn't get yelled at by her father the way her brothers did. Yeah, seems like a nice guy, doesn't he? Oh? USh back to their dad and the current like things in the will. Yeahlly, we can have flashbacks with him sometime where we actually get to see him. I wonder what actor is going to get that job.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean they seemed determined not to show him.
Speaker 1: All things considered, the kids turned out really pretty okay. Yeah, even though one in rehab way worse. But and then the uh there was a little kid at her parents office for bring your daughter to work day.
Speaker 3: Oh it was her the agent.
Speaker 1: Not able to curse back I guess, but then he just gave up. Did you ever take a kid to a bring your child to work day?
Speaker 2: No, because by the time I was my kids were that age.
Speaker 3: I was just working at home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I was too.
Speaker 2: I think I think my husband maybe took my daughter once when he had, you know, a corporate job, and they love to they love to, you know, show off that they'll.
Speaker 3: Do that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it might have been. I don't know. I'm yeah, I must have been working at home, or at least the days that it was. I was working at home, but and my husband worked in a supermarket. It's not really a bring your child to work environment. But that seems like is that a thing that people still do?
Speaker 3: I think so, I guess. I mean, at some point it got changed.
Speaker 2: It started out as take your daughter, and now it's take your child.
Speaker 3: Right, and let's let's just do a Google Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, in fact, it's as we record to day.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, what are the odds? Let me get my daughter in here, Get in here, kids, watch Mommy podcast.
Speaker 3: People. I like this on Google.
Speaker 2: People also ask is bringing your kids to workday still a thing? And according to National Day Calendar, dot com it is.
Speaker 1: I would think that might have been one of the things that died with COVID, but apparently not. Yeah.
Speaker 2: US Department of the Interior says it's going. It's happening, so Junior Achievement USA.
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyways, are our daddy daughter things no longer allowed?
Speaker 3: I think they still happen.
Speaker 1: Are they still? Because I noticed our local parks and rec has a a night for a princess.
Speaker 3: Oh that's how they event changed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which, okay, I see why, but still.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sad, I mean just not like kid has a dad.
Speaker 1: I did a daddy daughter thing once with a girl when she was in girl Scouts. We have a picture of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, yeah my daughter did it once, my husband and my daughter. I remember I paid a lot more than I thought for like a hairdoo and an updue sort of situation with like a lot of curls and pins, and and then it was done and they're like, you know, that'll be like forty dollars or something. I was like, what, wait a second, it's a kid, it's a kid. It's gonna oh yeah, I did not know that that was gonna happen.
Speaker 1: Wow, these things seem so nice until you start doing them and it's like, oh, wait a minute, this is a gigantic pain in the bud.
Speaker 2: But yeah, that that opening of this episode, basically that showed you know, Ila out in the with the receptionist while her dad screamed at each brother in turn was rough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so we know why these people are messed up. But somewhere Jackie was off having a normal upbringing. So man, don't go back on that. But another thing from a parenting point of view on the subject of how you get your free throw, it's good to teach your kids to do things in the way that it works for them, right, even if it's not what works for other people. Even if some people think they get stupid. It gets a job done. It gets a job done exactly you have to and then and then it's your thing, it's your way, it's your little bit of flair and you know, rocket greed. Yes, even if it looks like stupid through the leg throw, it gets the points.
Speaker 3: It does.
Speaker 2: Remind me it's a little bit about when my son played hockey and you know, he was he was fine. He wasn't the greatest at it, but he you know, he enjoyed it, and he was out there with the team and one time, there's a thing that you can do in hockey where if if one of the players gets like a pretty major penalty and they have to sit in the box, Yeah, there is a mechanism where they can serve part of it and then a teammate can serve another.
Speaker 1: Part of So that was his role serving the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he was like happy as a claim, like just in that in that box, like look at me, I'm contributing right now.
Speaker 3: Yeap.
Speaker 1: Why that would have been my That would have been my thing, Yes, like I was any game that was played at UH in Physit or recess, I would be I will just guard the part of the field that nobody's on, and when people start coming this way, I will guard the other part of the field exactly. Well, please don't kick a ball down here, thank you.
Speaker 2: I believe I've mentioned before that in high school softball, my plan was stay in the outfield, even for both teams, you know, like I would.
Speaker 3: I would be in the outfield.
Speaker 2: Then we would start to walk in to switch and I would just slowly, you turn myself.
Speaker 1: Back out into the outfield.
Speaker 3: They are good straight very far out in the.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, you know, everybody, everybody can find their way to contribute.
Speaker 2: Well, we'll see what happens next week. Next Wednesday, it's season one, episode seven, a special place in Hell.
Speaker 1: Oh, well that sounds good. Who do we think is gonna be set there?
Speaker 3: Oh, there's a lot of candidates.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I talk.
Speaker 2: So we'll see and we'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly Roundabout roundup.
Speaker 1: Yay, thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links, and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 3: You can also talk to.
Speaker 2: Us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.