Speaker 1: Oh, oh, guess what day it is.
Speaker 2: Guess what day it is?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 4: Anybody?
Speaker 5: It's hump Day?
Speaker 2: Up day?
Speaker 3: Yeah, It's hump Day, and it is one day closer to Kentucky basketball. The Wildcats Friday take the next step in the NCAA tournament, you know, taking on those Tennessee Valls. Tip off at seven point thirty nine. It's very specific, and yet somehow they always manage to make it work. Welcome to the Big Moon, Sider to Gabriel with you on a Wednesday edition of our program. Also, this is the day the boys Sweet sixteen begins and we pre record, so I can't really tell you what's going on down there in terms of the first couple of games. But Louisville Saint Xavier sat next scheduled to play this afternoon against Jeffersontown. To two Louisville teams taking on each other Region six versus Region seven. That has happened before, and the cases they would never see this, But when you kind of look at it cynically, you say, well, the Louisville school's taking care of each other and therefore it should help the crowd. So we'll find out, won't we. But Sandex apparently is incredible, and we're going to talk to the unforgettable guard Sean Woods about the Sweet sixteen and about the Wildcats coming up a little bit later. Caroline mccowskis will join us as well to talk about the end of the UK women's basketball season, and Aaron Gershan is going to check in also. He wasn't able to join us on Monday night, Aaron of course for the Cat's Balls covering the game in Milwaukee. So we'll talk a lot of Kentucky basketball tonight on the Big Blue Insider. The other day game today Bowling Green and a Derek County, So KHSA dot org has all the scores. Later tonight the Ashland Blazer Tomcats taking on Callaway County. That's actually the eight thirty game just underway. South Oldham and little bitty Danville Christian I think seventy eight students, but they've got some foreign imports who have made both the girls and the boys teams formidable. They are playing south Oldham even as we speak, so we will try to keep you up to speed on that as best we can. Now. As for the basketball Wildcats, they're getting a lot of clock of course because they've made the Sweet sixteen, and because of Mark Pope, he has become quite the I don't want to say figurehead, but he's getting a lot of run right now, and why not for the job he's done and the things he does and says. You know, obviously we're a little biased over here, but he says interesting things. And he appeared on the Jim Rome Show I guess it was last night and talked about basically team chemistry.
Speaker 6: But how did you get all these new faces to buy in and jell as quickly and seemingly as seamously as they have.
Speaker 7: I think for us, we were really fortunate and really intentional about about about recruiting great human beings, Like Jim, I'm telling you, if you got to sit down with each of these guys, these are special kids. They're not kids, They're special young people. Every single one of them can see something more important than themselves in the world.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: Every single one of them has been really intentional about getting to know their teammates and loving them and fighting for them and plan for them. And so it hasn't meant as much what I've done or what our staff has done, is what our guys have done working to build bonds with each other. That's given us a chance to withstand all the adversity that you face during the course of a season.
Speaker 6: Right, So, Mark, I buy that. I buy that, especially coming from you. But how do you find It's onething to find great people. It's one thing to find humble people. How do you find great players or very good players who are great people and that many of them?
Speaker 7: Well, I'll tell you what the portal is.
Speaker 8: It gives you a.
Speaker 7: Huge advantage over recruiting high school because you have data from college. You have film running like elite level sets against elite level defense, doing it over and over and over again. You're recruiting guys that aren't just trying to learn the college game. They're trying to fine tune the college game. So, so finding the right talent, especially for us, because we play a unique style. We're very very slanted towards a pro style with a ton of movement away from the ball, and so because our style of play, it's almost easier to go pick out those guys that actually have the skill set that translate to what we do. And so there's some advantages, some real substantial advantages to recruiting guys out of the pool.
Speaker 3: Mark Stub's made similar comments when it came to recruiting out of the portal. He just said, you have more information, you have better information, and therefore it puts you a step ahead. Now, you know, he's got to recruit more guys. I don't know if he can take the deep dive that Pope does. You know, Popo compared to soups a handful of guys. So when it comes to team chemistry, you know Stoops may had more challenges than Pope did. But Pope put his team together, as you know, in such a short amount of time. Interesting that he talked about the offense to a Jim Rome there and again that was courtesy the Jim Rome Show. That may explain why Kentucky was slower coming around on defense because the Wildcats, it was clear, were working quite a bit on offense. It was working well, wasn't it. They outscored the Florida Gators, but they really didn't guard very well, did they. Well, there's a stat out there stating that in the first in the thirteen games before that Ole Miss game, that huge turnaround against ole Miss, when it just looked like they weren't even interested in guarding the thirteen games prior to that, they were ranked one hundred and fifty ninth on defense. In the thirteen games after that rank number ten. And that's why they have such a big shot against Tennessee. Not only the fact that they know how to beat Tennessee clearly, but the fact that they're a better defensive team now than they were when they were beating up on the volunteers, which I find fascinating. So it's gonna be fun kent Kentucky beat Tennessee for a third time. Some people say I'd rather be the team that has won the two games than lost the two games. I just keep thinking, I cannot get it out of my head, Kentucky losing to LSU. And this goes back now in nineteen eighty six. It was the fourth time the Wildcats had played the bay U Bengals and missed the chance at the Final four because of that loss. But on the other hand, you know, Kentucky knows how to get it done. And I do believe Kentucky's offense versus Tennessee's defense is better than Tennessee's offense versus Kentucky's defense, if that makes sense. We'll have it for you right here. It's a seven thirty nine tip off, and they will make it work somehow. On CBS speaking up, Actually TBS, speaking of TV. UK Illinois was the highest rated game Sunday and this has become one of, if not the most watched nca tournament thirty two years. UK Troy highest rated game on Friday. So again, if you're a conspiracy theorist, and that's fine in some cases, so am I. But the NCAA does not want to see Kentucky lose. Officials do not get together decide Kentucky should lose. Kentucky brings the viewers, brings the eyeballs, therefore brings the money up. Next Aaron Gershat of the cash Balls here on six thirty WLAP Welcome back to the Big Blue and sider joining us now is the All American and one of the radio voices of the UK Sports Network, Jack Gibbons, Tom Leach's broadcast partner on what has turned into Jack, just a really terrific basketball season, and I have heap praise on you. I think you're doing a wonderful job of Tom. And what gets me, Jack is the unmitigated joy in your voice when these things are going well for the wildcast. You love this for the players, don't you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it is so nice. I mean, I've gotten to know these guys, and you know, I'm blessed to be able to do what I do, and part of what I do is to get to talk to these guys and get to know them a little bit off the floor. And you know, we've we've been blessed with some really good guys. I mean, we've been fortunate to get them, not just this year, but over the last a number of years. I mean, good guys. But these guys are special. And what makes them special to me is that they every one of them, not the young guys, but every one of the veterans know this is their last time let's go around that tests, man, and they want to make the most of it. And they are I mean, that's been fun to get to know him, fun to spend time with them, and it's easy when you have a bunch of really good dudes.
Speaker 3: Man, this team has made so much progress through the season, which I think was just inevitable giving the fact that these are good basketball players, but the fact that they've made such a jump, especially on defense. How much is the fact that they are by all accounts, good guys, good people. I mean, that was important to Mark Pope. He really vetted these guys coming through the portal and Ben Roberts wrote a tremendous piece about it. Mary Williams his recruitment. But how vital is that's kind of an obvious question to the process, the improvement process, the you know, the binding as a team, the fact that they're just good dudes.
Speaker 2: Well, if you think back over the course of this season, and we can go all the way back early, the first thing was said was these guys are not tough enough and people are going to be physical with them. Well, they addressed it, and they became tougher. They couldn't rebound the basketball, Well they addressed it, and now they're good rebounding team. Not the best, but they're good rebounding team. And especially when it comes to defensive rebounding against some of these teams that go and chew up offensive rebounds for points. So they got better at that. Then it was like, yeah, but they can't defend, man, you know, you've got to stop somebody. And then all of a sudden Mark addresses with the players and now They are a really sound, fundamentally sound help and recover defensive teams. So every time they faced certain things during the course of the year, because they are men, because they are vets, because they listen, they've been able to address those issues and deal with them.
Speaker 9: So.
Speaker 2: Uh So, this is a this is a trade that a lot of teams didn't have that we've had a lot of teams don't have. But it's certainly been good for these guys.
Speaker 3: How big a step given how they beat Illinois? They did battle him on the boards, they did guard really really well. That went over Illinois when Kentucky was really an underdog. How big a step was that, Jack.
Speaker 2: No, it was. It was huge. I mean it was huge for It was huge for the whole entire uh BBN, not just the team, but the fans have gotten so vested in this ball club. I mean they have and then Mark Pope can't can't leave him off the table when I talk about this now. I mean they've been in it since day one when at the press conference and I just thought, Man, I wonder what it's going to taste for the fans to really be happy with what this team accomplishes. And I thought you know, they should have been happy a long time ago because of what Mark had, the face coming in the late start, all of the stuff, and then to have a team that has accomplished what this team has accomplished, some of the wins they've had. You know, I thought the fans should have been just a static long before now. But when you get in the tournament, when you get in the tournament, play you ask yourself, Man, I wonder we'll win in the first game. Be enough? And it was. I mean I think people were really really pleased and happy and maybe would have been satisfied. But man, getting to where we are now, I mean, you you better be happy with everything, man, because not many people gave us a chance. I mean, you know, it was pretty trendy pick to pick Kentucky to get upset in the first game. Yeah, a lot of people picked that around the country, A lot of people who don't know Kentucky basketball and the players, but a lot of people picked that as a as a bracketbuster, you know. But they responded, then they go in the game with Illinois, they were not favored. They responded, they won't be favored against Tennessee either, even though they've beaten them twice. I mean, they won't be favored there, So I say, let's toss it up, man, and let's see what happened.
Speaker 3: By the way, I keep mentioning this every time I get a chance, nobody wants to see Kentucky beat Tennessee more. And my guys Jeff Piicoro and Jack Gibbons. You guy, I don't know if you ever talked to Jeff about that, Jack, but you guys are in lockstep on that. You were all so old school when it comes to Kentucky Tennessee, and I kind of like it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, some things don't change. I mean, we didn't play Louisville back in the day. Tennessee was our rival, and what they would beat us, and and and uh they had great athletes back in my day, with Ernie and Bernie and a number of other really really good players. So yeah, yeah, Tennessee is still the team I like to beat as much as anybody.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 2: I don't know that the players who have played at Tennessee like I do the guys from Louisville, So I'm not necessarily until Louisville's playing US, I really don't uh cheer against them because I've got a lot of guys who I'm really good friends with their uh so Tennessee. Uh you know, I'm I'm I love playing them and I really really enjoyed beating them.
Speaker 3: I know you do. I'm gonna double back to Tennessee. But just uh uh just a completed thought on this Kentucky team by the way. Uh yeah, fans should have been happy. Well they were. They were happy and relieved from Mark Pope after that first win. They were so happy for him. But you know it is, man, now they're in the sweet sixteen. They can see the finish line from here to see it on selection Sunday, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're right, You're right. So there's a whole new level of expectation now, uh with the fans and uh and I love it. I love it because that's what makes Kentucky basketball Kentucky basketball. I mean, we understand, we see it, but man, can we get can you just give me a little bit more?
Speaker 4: Please? A little more? Uh?
Speaker 2: You know, I mean that's the way we are, that's the way our fans are. And I get it, so uh and I'm and I'm wanting more now, man, this is this is a fun ride, and goodness, gracious, I get a great seat every night, and I get to get to talk about something I love, So I'm wanting to keep this thing going.
Speaker 3: Also absolutely talking to Jack Gibbons of the UK radio network, the UK All American, we'll call the action along with Tom Leach when the Wildcats teed up on Friday night, toss it up. I should say, let's talk about how they got here, Jack, And obviously it's improved defense. And this is a team that a lot of people dismissed and really probably going into the tournament as much as the Lamont Butler injury as well as the rep they had for not being able to guard. But this is one of the most dramatic turnarounds I can remember, maybe ever in Kentucky basketball when it comes to defense, and you played for a guy who hammered home defense on day one, Mark Pope went about things a little bit differently. How surprised are you, Jack, not that they've made the improvement, that they've made this much improvement.
Speaker 2: Well, listen, so much of what we do on defense is started by Lamont Butler, and the healthier he is, the better we are. But back in the season, we had Lamont early in the season. We had Lamont, but we still weren't stopping teams from scoring. I mean, I think back to that where the Florida game was fun. We won that, But I think back to that Alabama game in Lexington. I mean, man, if we just play a little bit of defense in that game, we win that one. And you know, but I think, and I can go to one guy, Okay, when I talk about the improvement on defense, I can go to one guy. I'm going to go to Kobe Braya. Okay, because back earlier on, even though you wanted his production offensive production on the floor, there were times you couldn't have him out there because he just was He just couldn't keep people in front of him. And look at now, Kobe is the one guy you can count on for thirty five minutes in any game. I mean he could and right now, he's had some games game where he couldn't make shots. I mean where shots just weren't falling, but you couldn't take him off the floor because of his defense and what his defense brought to the team. He's helping and recovering. Man, He's cutting people off the baseline. He's keeping guys who are very mobile guys, those six six to six eight guys that are mobile that we face every night in the SEC. He's keeping those kind of guys in front of him. So early in the season you couldn't have him out there because he was a liability on defense, and then now here right now, you can't take him off the floor sometimes because the team drops off so much defense in a piece not out there, So that's that's kind of a I look at what the whole team has done defensively, but I can point to him individually and talk to you about the change that this team has made on that defensive end of the floor.
Speaker 3: Jack Gibbons is my guest. He is Tom leach broadcast partner, of course on the UK radio network Marvel the Goose on the way You're on six thirty Wlap'm talking to Jack Gibbons. He is, of course Tom Leach's broadcast partner on UK basketball, and we urge you to tune them in. When the Wildcats tossed it up on Friday night in the NCAA tournament, Jack, you know what it's like to play in the NCAA. Is you played in three the only year you didn't play in the NCAA tournament. You won the NIT which was your second year of Kentucky. So that said, the senior year pressure is different than any other. And as you pointed out earlier, these guys know this is it. They have been brought together and they've worked to come together to do something special that, you know, with all due respect, other than LaMarsh Butler, they really hadn't done their respective careers. What kind of pressure is there on this kid, on these kids, because there are different kinds of pressure.
Speaker 2: Well, I kind of like the fact, Gabe, that they are going into games as underdogs. Okay, even with the three seed, they were an underdog against Illinois, okay, And I think that actually relieves a lot of the pressure that they might have been facing if they came in to these games as a favorite. Now because they you know, they've been in a lot of games. The games that they've played in, I don't know that even that San Diego State game, San Diego State team that Lamont Butler played on, I don't know that of the first round they were even a favorite. You know, So they've been they've been used to coming in this thing as the underdog, you know, and I think that release. I mean, just think about it. If these guys were a two seed and they were six, seven, eight, nine point favored going against everybody they play against, I think that would bring a whole different pressure than what this team is facing that this time. So, I mean it's nice. I mean, it's it's pressure, but the pressure that they have on them is a little bit different than the pressures that we had as the number one team in the country and that you were expected to win. I mean, that's just a little bit different kind of pressure, there's.
Speaker 3: No question, and they can lean on each other. I mean, you guys could as well, but yeah, it was it was almost crushing. Uh, you know the way you guys handled that. You know, we talked about Lamont Butler, we talked about Kobe brand defense, and I've been saying that that Lamont, and it's pretty evident, makes everybody better on offense, but also makes everybody better on defense. But you were pointing out the other night, uh, And I think I heard you talk to Otaga about this on the postgame show that with Lamont back, everybody reverts to their natural position and Otega doesn't have to be the point guard and I think sometimes people forget what kind of pressure that brings and what kind of I don't want to use the word burden, but it's much harder on him to be Otega, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a whole different mindset that point guard spot. I mean, you you can't just put anybody in there at the point guard spot and say okay, go out there, man and do what Lamont Butler does for exactly. I mean, it's very difficult. And you know, Otega is much better coming off the wings, uh as opposed to straight up top on that get the offense start kind of situation. And that is the biggest thing. Everybody goes back to doing their own thing when Lamont Butler is around. Now, that doesn't mean that you won't put Otega, you won't put Amari Williams in that point guard spot and say, okay, get our offense started. That doesn't mean that won't happen at times in the game.
Speaker 4: Because it will. It will.
Speaker 2: But everybody is just more relaxed, Even the guys coming off the bench, who deserve a lot of credit for this little late season run, even those guys are are more comfortable and more relaxed and can do what they do when with Lamont being healthy and guys in their normal position.
Speaker 3: Well, I know that you're going to give us a complete sky report on Friday, But let me get let me turn you loose with this. Should I not be super concerned, which I am, about trying to beat Tennessee, a really good team for a third time, because so many people keep saying, you know, well, they're already proven they can beat them. It's almost like they're trying to dismiss any concerns about that. But Tennessee kids have pride and they know what they're doing. They're smart, they'll figure things out. But just you know, so well Kentucky, right, what should I think going into this? Help me? Jack Well?
Speaker 2: Number One, face the fact, Okay, Tennessee is a really, really good team. I mean that's the first thing we have to understand. And we know that. I mean, the Kentucky basketball team knows that Tennessee is capable of beating anybody. I mean, whoever they face. I mean, that's just the fact. I mean, they are that good. For some reason, Kentucky's been able to match up well against them. And I think the reason is I mean, if I look back over the course of the season. The teams Kentucky's had the most trouble with are teams that have really great athletes, Okay, really quick, long guys who who can beat you off the dribble, right, And Tennessee has a couple of those guys, but they don't have a team full of those guys, And we match up better with that kind of team. So I think you look at the matchup first and you understand that, well, yeah, you know, they're the same, We're the same. So you know, you go into this being thinking we've got a chance. Yes we do. And I hear a lot of people talking about yeah, but you know, it's hard to beat a team three times in one season. Well, it's hard for you to believe it for player. For a player, we think we're gonna win every night out. I don't care if we play you ten times, we're gonna win. Ask Alabama about playing Kentucky. I mean, they beat us three times, and the last time they beat us was the worst they beat us all season long. So the three time situation, that's so many people the first thing that they want.
Speaker 4: To talk about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's difficult to beat the team isn't It's difficult to beat the team this time of the year. One time, true, I mean one time because everybody's good. So I mean, you understand it's Tennessee and that's a plus because you know them. But the fact of the.
Speaker 4: Matter is.
Speaker 2: It's just another step, man, and keeping this step for us to keep dancing. I don't care what names on their jersey. We have to go that way to beat them, and I think Kentucky has a good chance of doing that.
Speaker 3: I do too, well. All right, I feel better. You've done your job. Thank you, Thank you so much. I have to thoroughly enjoy listening to you guys this year, and we'll be listening on Friday. Thank you, brother, have a great trip, Thank you, and uh bring it home.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Gabe. It's gonna be fun. I'm glad we're still dancing, and I'm glad this group of guys and this coaching staff is still dancing because we we hit the jackpot with this group. Fan they're good, good dudes.
Speaker 3: Man, that's right, So are you? Thanks buddy?
Speaker 4: All right? Thanks Up.
Speaker 3: Next, we'll talk women's basketball with Caroline Makowskis of The Harold Leader on six thirty WLAP Welcome back to the Big Blue Sider. Joining us now in our celebrity Hotline. Caroline mccowskis from the Herold Leader who covered a Kentucky women's basketball game the other day. She's covered the season, but Caroline, you covered one of the great games I've ever seen. I'm certain you have as well. Crowd was great, level of play was great, and what an ending. I couldn't ask for much more or less. If you're a Kentucky fan. That last shot to go.
Speaker 10: Down, Oh absolutely, that floater there at the end, But of course, who else do you want taking that shot other than Georgia Aymore. I mean, it was it. Sometimes they just don't fall. The look was great, she was open, she had an opportunity, but it was so exciting. It was one of those that you're so happy to be in the environment, all the fans. As you mentioned, it was just a really crazy, crazy experience. It was so cool to be there.
Speaker 3: And like so many great games like that, there were so many layers. There were so many momentum changes, and at one point it looked like Kansas State had and suddenly Kentucky's got a five point lead. You know, I mean late, but now you know they for whatever reason, they kept losing point extra to three point shooter. They knocked down two triples. Now they're behind. I mean, it was just incredible the way it went back and forth.
Speaker 10: It was it was you could tell everyone who was there really really wanted it, and we all knew it was going to be a difficult matchup for these two teams. You got that super experienced post in Aoka Lee over at Kansas State, who thankfully was able to come back for the tournament her final tournament. The guard matchups exciting all over the floor, deadly shooters all over the floor. So it was kind of a pick your poison situation I think for both teams, and it's one of those, Ugh, somebody's got to lose.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately, Clara Strack at a phenomenal game. I think lost in Kansas State success was Serena Sundell, who had nineteen points and fourteen assists. I mean she was all over the place. So yeah, it was that kind of game. And you mentioned Aoka lead. People don't right to google her. She, as you know, is the record holder for the single most points scored in one game. And say women's game sixty one against Oklahoma. But you know, I don't know if you're a plus mind this person, Caroline, but she was minus fifteen aka Leewill. I thought Kentucky did a fairly good job defending against her.
Speaker 10: Yeah, yeah, I did too. And I talked to Clara Strack after the game and I asked her, I was like, you did a pretty good job, you know, in this matchup that everyone was talking about because of Lee's resume. You know what was that like for you? She's just she was excited for the opportunity to match up against someone like that. She said, we knew that the whole team was going to be a battle, but I knew that this specifically was going to be a battle against Lee. And she just had a ton of fun doing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and she had a better game. Strak had twenty two points to six years off. Really, oh man, and she's coming back. That's the good news. Absolutely, go ahead.
Speaker 10: I just think it's crazy because you look at someone like Clara Strek, of course twenty twenty five, a SDC Defensive Player of Year, and you say, oh my gosh, her patience, her poise, the touch around the rim, she's got it. And then you remind yourself, Oh she's a sophomore. Oh she only turns nineteen in November. Yeah, it's really crazy, but it's encouraging. I would imagine Kentucky fans that's one of those you know, you're pumped your fist, you're fired up because Claria Strack is only a sophomore.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, and there are others coming back, of course, but they had to say goodbye to Georgia anymore after just the one season. She played all but four seconds in that game, although there were two Kansas State players who played all forty five minutes. But Georgia. What did you think of her response? Somebody asked her about you know, that last shot not going down, and she said she didn't want us to define her or basically didn't want to you know, wagh that against five years. I thought that was pretty interesting.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's a mature answer. It's the way she delivered. It was kind of a funny answer.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: But also, you know, getting to cover Georgia for this season, just one season.
Speaker 8: She's so good.
Speaker 10: Was just being able to look at a moment and boil it down to what it is. Yeah, she doesn't make it too big you know, she's talked a lot about I don't let the highs get too high. I don't get let the lows get too low. And in five years of the career and obviously everything that came before it, she is able to step back look at that shot for what it was a good look that just didn't happen to Land and know that, hey, I can be proud of what I did this season. I can be proud of what I did this game because she did have a strong game and just let it be what it is and that's okay. I think that's special.
Speaker 3: And then don't get there without her clearly, and then you fold in what she did at Virginia Tech for crying out loud, you know, just a phenomenal, nominal career. Now, what does Kenny Brooks do? I mean, you don't just go out and replace Georgia anymore. And I thought, I think you were there when he was talking early in the season about scheduling challenges and there was, you know, the schedule early in years, you know, kind of lurched along on some odd days, odd times because they had trouble scheduling. But he admitted that when people found out Georgia Aymore transferred to Kentucky. They weren't so eager to play the Wildcats, you know. But but now you got to wonder, how do you how do you turn the reins over to somebody else? You don't have any choice, but right.
Speaker 10: Yeah, absolutely, And it's funny you mentioned that I had forgotten about that. I have. I had heard from a few people outside the program that opponents weren't as interested in playing Kenny Brooks and Georgia Aymore and you know, everybody else that came to be on this team. But yeah, what's also interesting about it is Kenny Brooks is not a plug in and play a guy. You know, He's said that a million times. But when constructing a roster, it can't just be oh, this person scores the most points and they're in the portal. It can't just be oh, yeah, that person, well, they were an outstanding point guard, you know at whatever school, in maybe even a power conference. It's got to fit his system, whatever point guard style of play. And he also is a developer, so you know, if you look down the line, you say, well, in twenty twenty six, they've got Madden Greenway out of Minnesota. Now, four times state champion with the Providence Academy basketball team. She's coming in, but that's not until twenty twenty six, twenty twenty seven. And he is someone who likes to take the time with his players, develop them, give them a little bit more experience. We saw that with freshman Lexie Blue this year, who was number forty in the class. We thought with Clara Silva, who though she did play in every single game, she's the only person not a starter to play in every single game in this season. She didn't have the minutes that maybe some fans were expecting for a six to seventh center. But it will have to likely be someone from the transfer portal who fits in the system. Portal opens this week earlier this week, and we'll see who enters. We'll see who they can find. But after what he was able to do, he and his staff were able to do this season out of the portal, I would hope fans are not discouraged by the fact that they're turning page to a new points right, instead looking at it as what an exciting opportunity. Who's going to be developed next?
Speaker 3: And you've also got to think there are point guards out there who of course, noticed that Kenny Brooks won one of the Coach of the Year awards and saw how far Kentucky went and clearly charted the progress of Georgia Amore. And there have to be kids out there thinking, well, you know, maybe this is a guy who could take me to the next level. And I don't know if it's going to be a buyer's marketer or seller's market in that portal, but you got to like his chances.
Speaker 10: Definitely. You know, she has helped put him on the map when it comes to guard development. I think Liz Kittley and not Clara Strack in terms of post development, really put him on the map. He had great players at James Madison, some great players at Virginia Tech. With those two especially, I mean superstars. And he said it all season, Georgia Amore has made Kentucky basketball cool. People are calling, recruits are calling, and he certainly put together a good resume in year one. And you know, Memorial post renovation, you've been in there, you knew what the old one was like. That's an exciting environment now that is in my mind, that's got to be a strong recruiting tool as well.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, yes, absolutely, It's almost palatial, which is why when Kim Malkey tried to stir things up, aren't they playing? And rub Areena just, you know, stay in your lane. I know what she was saying, but stay in your lane. She she doesn't really understand.
Speaker 8: I guess I know.
Speaker 10: I know what she was saying too. You know, Baylor, They're they're playing in the same place as the Men and at LSU. Everybody's playing at the PMAC. So I do get it. And it is a good question. It's a question that I have when I took this job and I learned a little bit more about Kentucky, but post renovation especially, and the excitement that was in that building against Liberty on Friday and against Kansas State on Sunday, I've never seen it that lively. And I'm hoping that that is a sign for the future that this community is going to them out and pack it because that was a difference maker.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. And you know, I go back to the Valerie Still era and I have our time remembering back that far. But because it was bigger back then, it was harder to you know, take advantage of the noise. But man, the way it is now such an intimate setting, it's hard. It's going to be hard to really really top that or match that. And by the way, two different coaches women's coaches have told me through the years, we don't want to play in RUP. We like our home. So anyway, she is Caroline mccaskis. She covers UK women's basketball and more for the hero leader in Kentucky Sports. You can follow her on X or Twitter, whatever you like to call it at c mcowskas and mak a u s Kas got it and you'll be glad. Caroline, thank you so much, and we'll see it at the ball game.
Speaker 10: Thank you very much. Have a good one.
Speaker 3: And of course, now we find out Clara Strack has put her name in the transfer portals one big we'll be leaving. Apparently Kenny Brooks's team I number two is up next with Aaron Gershawn and Sean Woods. We'll be talking a lot of basketball here on six point thirty seventy or e. Welcome back to the Big Blond Sider joining us now as a gentleman. We usually talk to Aaron Garshan on Monday nights. He was traveling back from Milwaukee, so we're catching up with him. Now, Aaron, tell me a little bit about covering an NCAA tournament with Kentucky involved. You've done it several times, and Kentucky, in terms of the crowd, not just the points spread, was the underdog. There were more Illinois fans there, more orange. What was that like?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that was a first. That was definitely a first. Now that you're say it, I'm trying to flash back, but I guess the only other time there were more Kentucky fans, of course, but when we were in Indy for the Saint Peter's game three years ago, the whole you know, everyone that wasn't wearing blue is rooting for sink. Oh yeah, so you know you had all the other fan bases that were there, so that was the only one.
Speaker 2: But you're right.
Speaker 11: It was an Illinois Illinois home game, you know, walking only three hours from that campus, and I was I don't know if I was telling you this or if I was telling other people this, but I went through the Jimmy Plastic up in up in Manhattan, not this year but last year, because it was right before Kentucky played in Philadelphia and my brother school SIU was playing Illinois and Illinois had the garden like seventy percent full of orange with Yukon and UNC coming in up next. So this is a fan base that's very passionate and already close by to Milwaukee. And you know, they made they made it loud and made it a road game. But you know Kentucky WHI did it well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And people don't think about Illinois when they think about basketball. Generally, it's football. It's Big ten. They haven't played a lot, but boy, Kentucky and Illinois have played significant games against one another, haven't they.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now, Kentucky's won them all five and oh against Illinois and the NJA tournament. But yeah, they had the Elite eight game in eighty four near the end of the Jobey Hall era, and they've had this is the fifth tournament game. I think there was a Final four in their way back when during the Rough era. So yes, they've played some significant games and they played you know, a game that changed the.
Speaker 4: Rules in eighty four.
Speaker 1: That game was that rough right, right, So.
Speaker 3: You're playing its home floor in the NCA tournament. They also played Louisville Kentucky did so Yeah, So what was significant in your eyes to the way Kentucky beat Illinois.
Speaker 1: Heck, they just beat them wire to wire. I mean, yeah, I guess there was a couple of scares here and there. Illinois got it to three near the end of the first half, and they got it to six there with like a minute and a half left. But really this was game. Kentucky was complete and complete controlling. And you know, you have to start on the defensive end because it's just not been Kentucky strong suit almost all year. You know, you go back to the beginning of February after they Old miss puts a ninety eight on them, and they're ranked one hundred and twelveth in defensive efficiency, and you're thinking, oh, no, like this is going to be as bad as worse defensively than last year, and they're gonna waste this great offense. And they have made significant strides, and of course Willmont Butler helps with that, but some of those strides were made with him sidelined, and that's I think the really impressive part. And guys like Kobe branotega Oway have dug in and played so much better on that end of the court. And they this is an Illinois offense. And we talked about it on the statewide Monday. Why I really did not like this matchup for Kentucky. That was top fifteen inefficiency. They have three forwards including and Tom Laviysovic, who did have his.
Speaker 4: Way in this game.
Speaker 1: Offensively, that can really shoot the three, and they run at a really fast paced that they were the second highest tempo team in the entire NCAA tournament outside of Alabama and then Kentucky was third. So it was just a matchup that Kentucky has struggled with all year long, and the fact they were able to hold them to seventy five points. You know, the turnovers played a huge key in it, and some of them were fun forced and some of them Kentucky made some stellar defensive plays on I finished with fourteen steals. It's unbelievable. But you know, all that combined held them to I think thirty twenty eighth twenty nine percent from three. Just a hell of a defensive effort. Then you know, they did what they had to do offensively. It wasn't you know, they scored eighty five, so it was actually or a little bit below I think their season average of eighty six. But you know, they made the big shots and they needed to. Kobe Bray had caught heat there for three four minutes where he was unconscious, I'll take it away, fresh off the bank in the second half, was unconscious. And you know, they did what they do offensively with a bunch of kill like long runs. Both of these games, that's the big thing. Both the Troy game and the Illinois game, they had at least five combined ten all runs. And that's the moralizing to your opponent.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, absolutely, all right. You mentioned the Ole Miss game, and I thought it was so significant where Pope talked about coming back and you know what, we talked about that game on a state wide show. They were just weren't even competitive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was so bad.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it really they.
Speaker 1: They didn't look I think I put it as they looked like they wanted to be anywhere else but Oxford.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right. And yet he said he made it sound like it was the next day when they got back, and he mentioned Braya specifically just threw literally throwing himself into the defensive drills. And I do believe that as great as they are comparatively, speaking with Butler in the lineup, that has been so significant way Brea has has turned himself into a defender.
Speaker 1: What do you think, no question. I mean, look, he's not some elite defender, but what he was for a lot of the year before the old Mysam was almost unplayable on that end. And it was because of you know, Pope was taken him out of games because he had to find some sort of defensive answer. And you know, that takes off your best three point scoring threat and the guys now who can get in the lane and score too. You're taking away a huge offensive piece because he couldn't guard. And now that he's become you know, solid and playable on that end of the floor, it just changes everything for this team. And you know, yeah, yeah, definitely you start you started seeing it pay off against South Carolina. Now we knew South Carolina was not a very good team, but then I forgot who they played, right, I think they played Tennessee. Yeah, they played Tennessee the next game and Pray have played really well defensively and they held Tennessee three to three from eighteen from three. So yeah, he's steadily improved on that into the floor while still maintaining a ridiculous offensive clip. And you know, it's hard not to say Lamont Butler wasn't the MVP of that game against Illinois. But you know, Kobe Bray has scoring twenty three and playing pretty pretty darn well, and the defensive end is right there with it.
Speaker 3: Well, I talked to Billy about this, I've talked to Jack Givens about it. I thought that play everybody thinks this, you know, where Lamont basically snuck up, and it's wasn't the fact that it happened, it's the fact of when it happened.
Speaker 1: I thought, oh, yeah, yeah, the momentum was starting to ship a little bit and Kentucky needed to stop. And not only did they get to stop, they got it underneath their own basket.
Speaker 2: And you know, also got to give credit.
Speaker 1: You know, obviously the mott gets most of the credit for the steal, but Freddy Harrison that was not an easy finish in traffic there over Bigsy's brother who's got three inches on him, and he was able to go up strong and finish, which is not something he's been able to do at a high rate this season. So yeah, that was probably to play the game. I think that was probably. I know, I think Illinois still ended up coming back to cut it within six. But that felt like it really started to suck the air out of any at least in the building. I think Illinois fins were about done and given off after that one happened.
Speaker 3: Some people are wondering, are concerned or whatever that Travis Perry didn't get in at all. He played seven minutes against Troy. But I never felt like the situation called from I believe Colin Chandler has probably moved past him a little bit with what they need on the floor from that position, and the fact that Chandler just hit some no you know, no conscience three makes plays away from the ball. I mean, this kid's coming around at the right time.
Speaker 4: Deal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, he's playing. He's playing fantastic. I mean, look, they're they're You got to go back to the Troy game. I think we could agree that was not Kentucky did not play a great game against Troy. They did on the defensive end, but offensively they were not very good in that game. I think Troy had cut it to sixth and Kentucky went on that sixteen to oh run, and nine of those points were Colin Chandler, and five were running Garretton. So, I mean what Chandler was able to do to mix it up in that game and get them get things kind of stabilized was huge. And and then in this game he comes off the bank and hits their first three, you know, after or right before the first TV timeout, and then he pulls up from the logo no problems, just all playing with such confidence. And then on the defensive end, which is kind of where it started for him, right where they go down to Tennessee at the end of January and they throw him on chasl Near and we're all thinking, what is Mark Pope doing? Is he lost his mind? And he plays really, really well, and you know, defensively he had been making stride for a while as Mark Cope was just looking for answers on that end of the floor.
Speaker 4: And now the.
Speaker 1: Offensive game is starting to it's come around as well, and that's just to add to what they already have.
Speaker 4: Is massive.
Speaker 1: And yeah, he's definitely more valuable to what they do right now, unfortunately than Travis Perry. And that's not a knock on him, but they're playing really well defensively. Perry's still behind in that aspect. I mean, that's Okay, he's a freshman, he's got weight to add it over the offseason. All that's all good and well, but you got to play who's winning you games? And right now, Colin Chandler's winning your games. And I'll tell you what Trent Noa was making winning play man.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, absolutely, talking to Aaron Gershan of the Cats Pause, and we'll come back and talk about Kentucky Tennessee in just a minute here on six thirty WLAP. Welcome back. We're talking with Aaron Gershan of the Cat's Pause. He covered the Wildcats and Illinois will cover. He's covered the Wildcats from day one this season and has been covering Kentucky for quite a while, minus the time he spent exiled up in Evansville, Indiana. But that's okay. Now, I mentioned two weeks ago when you and I were on the State Wide Show together that a Kentucky Tennessee matchup means Kentucky. Of course, call in that third game. You immediately pointed out to me that, yeah, they already beat him twice, and Ziggler has never played well, or at least not recently against Kentucky. Now, my concern is that somebody finally breaks through. You know what I'm saying, Are you still comfortable with the notion that they've just got Tennessee's No, it may just well be a bad matchup for Tennessee.
Speaker 1: I still rather be the team that's won twice. I know, there's the old adage is it's hard to be the team three times. I'd still rather be Kentucky going into this matchup. I mean, yeah, look Tennessee to go look at them on the offense, and then they've definitely been better since the last, you know, the last matchup with Kentucky. Jordan Ganey off the Manchi has had some really big games. He went for twenty four against Florida in the SEC title game, but eight of those points did come with the poul line, so it is important there to look at that too. But yeah, Chaslnier has basically drilled shots on everyone not named Kentucky, and in Kentucky went oh for seven in Lexington and I think three for eight from three something like.
Speaker 2: That in Noxenal.
Speaker 1: And really the only guy that's had their way with Kentucky this year has been Igor Milicic, and he's been the one that's really struggled in this NCAA tournament so far for them, So it is a matchup I still like I think Kentucky. If you go watch Tennessee, they're like the only team that's able maybe Florida two, but no other team has been able to find these clean, open looks from three like Kentucky has. And I still think there's something to be said for when you play at Tennessee's tempo, which is the slowest of any team less than the tournament, one of the slowest in the country or second lowest, Houston slower, and then you play a team that's running gone. I just don't think that's easy to adapt to. And look, I think very very highly of Tennessee, especially on the defensive end, and they still you know, Kentucky hasn't cracked eighty against them. It's not like they've had their two best offensive games of the year, but they shot fifty percent from three on twenty four attempts exactly in both of those games, and they got guys like Trent Noah and Travis Perry having big games against them. So and you know, we talked about the crowd factor that Orange will get in, but this game's right off the road in Indy, and I have a feeling you didn't see as many Kentucky fans in Milwaukee because they won were paranoid after how the last three years have gone first weekend and two this trip is two hours forty five minutes up the road. So I mean, I just I don't know. I still like this matchup. I don't think it's gonna be easy. I think it'll be an absolute ward. It's going to come down to the end. But I like this matchup, I really do.
Speaker 3: You know what gives me hope and I'm the ultimate pessimist anyway, Yeah, probably I am too. Is the fact that Kentucky beat Tennessee before it went through this defensive transformation, you know what I mean?
Speaker 8: That's right, That is right.
Speaker 1: And look, Lamon Butler was on the floor for half of one game and not the other one. Yeah, and they already beat him once without Jackson Robinson.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it's just it just feels like Kentucky hasn't even played their best against them and beat them, and they still held them the seventy three and sixty five points respectively. So again, you throw those games out a little bit, but you look at the matchups and again there's no you know, if you can contain one the year to under fifteen points. Yeah, I feel really really good. And you know you expected Igler to do a little bit more, but you know, he had a pretty good game in Lexington. I think he ended up finishing seven for eleven from the field and Alamant Butler is going to be in his grill all day, and I just I don't know it's going to be It is not going to be easy by any means. I think this will be the tightest of the three games they've played. But I still like the matchup, I really do.
Speaker 3: Speaking of matchups, did you get a chance to see much at all of the Arkansas Saint John's game.
Speaker 1: It was during our media of course, they did it during our media day availability stuff on Saturday, so I got to see it's in these pieces of it. And yeah, Arkansas's length really looks like it bothers Saint John's. And I mean, the Big East was not very good this year and it showed and there's no Big East teams left in this tournament.
Speaker 4: And you know what's crazy about it.
Speaker 1: And I'll give Cal and ark To all the credit the world for still winning. They give the twenty eight offensive rebounds and shot two for nineteen from three. Yeah, I mean that's insane. Yeah, and they still want so a ton of credits.
Speaker 3: I mean, and looks couldn't make a shot.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, John couldn't make a shot. And how about that the three way three, the coaching carousel that put Callen and Sayville brought Pope to Lex and Kevin Young out to BYU and they're all the Sweet sixteen. Everyone's everyone's going at each other on Twitter. It's a civil war or not a civil war. It's a full out war on Twitter. And after all, everyone's pretty damn happy leading up to this weekend.
Speaker 4: So look who works out.
Speaker 3: Look who Caliperry had to beat to get here, Bill said, yeah, very impressive. And Rick Patino, But I told Billy on Monday night, I watched the Saint John's game. I watched the second half again like how did this happen? But again, I'd watch the entire series on Red Storm. Patino kept saying, we don't shoot well, and there was a there was a POSI sixty six sixty four, and Saint John's had the basketball and couldn't score, and down the stretch has shot after shot and couldn't put it in a basket.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and their Big East Player of the Year was unplayable. Yeah, I mean that that when your best player is off, especially in the tournament, Yeah, you was very little, very little chance to win. It's really really hard. I mean the only I mean, Anthony Davis was off in the championship game in twenty twelve, but on defense and rebounding it he just couldn't put the ball, just couldn't put the ball in the hoop. So if you're r J. Lewis just wasn't affecting the game much. And that's what that's what happens. That'd be like if that'd be I mean Lamont Butler, Look if they were if he had the game and he played okay defense against Troy. But if he had the game he had against Troy in Illinois, Kentucky's on the couch right now. So it's just you need your best players to show up in those moments. And you know that didn't happen for Saint John's.
Speaker 3: Well, how grateful is the Big Blue Nation that not only is Butler back, was his brand of defense, but that enables Alway to remain at the two or the three. Everybody can settle out of their roles.
Speaker 8: It is such a man.
Speaker 3: Because it wasn't that long ago. Pope was talking about the adjustments everybody had to make.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a mess. It was a mess, guys playing out a position. I mean, here without your three lead guards. It's a miracle they were even able to win some of the games they did in that predicament.
Speaker 4: To begin with.
Speaker 1: So and that's what makes them beating Tennessee down the stretch when they were down three and Butler's done and Robinson's out and creases out, that all that more impressive. But yeah, I mean, everyone looks so much more comfortable and he's on the floor. And again even in the toy game, where I don't think Butler played well at all, honestly, it made some nice plays on defense, but nothing special. He was a plus twenty.
Speaker 2: Two and was the plus minus champ go.
Speaker 1: So he just he's a winner, man, And he as soon as that first three in for him, I'm like, OK, I was like, here he goes, He's going to have a big one. I didn't think he finished in double figures in the first half, but as soon as that three went in and I was like, oh boy, here, look out if you're Illinois or you're scared right now, and then.
Speaker 3: The back door steal, I mean, yeah, yeah, he was elite.
Speaker 1: He was elite, and I think he wore different I couldn't tell, and maybe he got asked, and so that's why I didn't want to bother asking about it after the game. But I think you might have worn a little bit of a different break. Think you did that helped out.
Speaker 3: I think you wore a smaller, lighter one. But what do we know? Yeah, we just know that did him versus Ziggler is going to be fascinating. On Friday, Aaron Gershan will be there and we'll talk with him again on Monday on the state Wide Show. Aaron, thanks so much once again, safe travels, appreciate you, and you can follow Aaron on Twitter and the X at a Gershawan ninety nine. Up next Shawn Woods, the unforgettable Guard. By the way, our Western beer chief Gary Moore taken the next couple of weeks off. Mister Woods will talk Kentucky basketball, of course, and the boys Sweet sixteen. Here on six point thirty Welcome back to the Big Blue in Cider. It is Wednesday. That means we talked to the unforgettable guard, Sean Woods, who is one of two people on this radio show who knows what it's like to play in the NCAA tournament. I've covered a few, but Shawn's actually played in one. But we were talking before went on the air, Sean about Kentucky. First of all, you were publicly saying what a lot of us were thinking privately a couple of months ago. This team just doesn't guard very well, and they turned that around so dramatically. I'm wondering, you know. And obviously having a bunch of veterans helps Mark Pope because they know how to be coached and how to process what he's teaching them. But the dramatic turnaround just what your eyeballs show you as well as the analytics. You're a defensive specialist. That's got to impress you.
Speaker 12: No doubt about it. I mean, they're becoming lock y'all pit bullish on the defense then, And the most amazing thing is they went from a finesse team on that side of the ball to becoming bullyish and very physical, and that's because they're working on it. That's the only thing I can take is they're actually you can just tell in a team what they work on and what they don't, and you can tell what was.
Speaker 4: A priority.
Speaker 8: And their priority at the beginning of the year was their offense, getting up those shots. That was their main deal, thinking that they can outscore people. And then you know, Mark Pope, being a smart guy that he is, and his staff, they realized that, hey, we're not going to be able to get the thirty thirty.
Speaker 4: Three is a game.
Speaker 8: I mean, this league's too tough defensively, So we got to join the party if we want to, you know, stay in the party. And joining the party was becoming a significant defensive team and having a significant defensive presence. And you can just tell that that been our priority about their team, you know that side of the ball, and it's showing.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: The thing that jumped out in me when Pope was talking about their defense after the win over Illinois was communication. And every coach who's ever laced them up, I mean, you've done it, everybody's been there. They always talk about how vital it is to communicate, and that was pretty evident, wasn't it against Illinois?
Speaker 8: Well, no doubt about it. But see now you got certain players that didn't play defense, didn't give it up, give it up. Now are giving it up on defense. You know, bra I didn't play a lot of minutes at the beginning of the year, even though he's a prolific scorer, because he wasn't doing what he needs to do on the defensive end. That's the reason why Mark Pope couldn't play him. And guess what, he's our best offensive player. Yeah yeah, But when your best offensive player can only play fifteen to twenty minutes because the defense, that is why we struggled. Because he was too good offensively not to be on the court. Every time he came on the court. You think every time he shot the ball, it was going in, and for.
Speaker 4: The most part, it does. But you can't get all.
Speaker 8: Of that because he wasn't giving it up on the defensive end. Now he's giving it up on the defensive end. Then a couple others you know that weren't buying into it for whatever reason, they're all buying into it now. I mean they are connected. You know, they are taking pride on that side of the ball, and that's the reason why they they've turned the turned this thing around and to be honest with you, Dick, I think Kentucky, we're talking about all these other teams in this bracket, the where they're the where they're succeeded, they're the most dangerous team in this in their bracket, and they're in their in their.
Speaker 3: Reasons more than Tennessee, more.
Speaker 8: Than Tennessee because I think we have Tennessee's number and the reason why we have Tennessee's number is because Tennessee can't out outscore us no matter what. They're a great defensive team, but they haven't been able to outscore us. Mean, Kentucky, we pose a different type of style of play for them. We pose, you know, they guard, but they don't guard the three well against Kentucky.
Speaker 4: And then because Kentucky.
Speaker 8: Can hit a barajea threes and makes Tennessee get out of character and start shooting more threes than they normally do because they're trying to keep up from a point standpoint and they can't because they don't shoot it that well, and they get away from what they really do, you know, instead of just dragging it, getting to the line, getting files, spreading you out, getting the ball down low. When they play against Kentucky, they just lose their minds and just start doing things that they can't do, and that goes to Kentucky. You know, that helps Kentucky out. And I still think this next game is going to be the same thing.
Speaker 3: Wow. I mean, I know they'll try to adjust, which they did from game one to game two. But as you recall, they lost their minds from the arc and shot forty five threes that first game and did not do that the second game. But Kentucky still found a way to beat him. I do subscribe to the theory that. And by the way, the second game he only shot eighteenth threes and still lost. It's so hard to beat a team, you know, not just three times, but two times, much less three. But like you said, it's a bad matchup for Tennessee.
Speaker 8: It's a bad And then Tennessee's point guard, which got defensive player of the year in the SEC, it's not the defensive player of the year. The defensive player of the year just to get played had to miss a few games because of the shoulder. Yes, that's Lamont Butler, right, and their point guard can't bully Leamont Butler.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 4: And mount Butler is going to.
Speaker 8: Win that that that deal every single game, and that's the reason why they can't get it because Lamont Butler does not let him dominate the game like he normally does against everyone else.
Speaker 3: And him in the game means otega Oway can stay at the two or the three and people don't have to start shifting positions. Again, that's huge, isn't it exactly?
Speaker 8: I Mean, we all know la Mott Butler's not healthy, but we know the Mont Butler being in the game gives us a magnificent chance of winning. So just stay out of the way, Lamont. You don't have to reach, move your feet, dominate the other team's guard, just physically with your body and not your arm and your shoulder.
Speaker 4: And let's get this.
Speaker 8: Tennessee win again for the third time, and let's go to the final eight.
Speaker 3: Butler zero for five, scoreless against Troy. Excuse me, did have three assists, but they were able to take care of Troy no problem. And then I think he makes the play of the game against Illinois. I said this a couple of times when Illinois had momentum. Kentucky misses a shot up ten Illinois is about to take it down and go go down on and he sneaks f in from behind and steals it. That to me was a palpable shift. Did you see it that way?
Speaker 8: Those are the plays that nobody else, no guard on this Kentucky team, can make. And that's the reason why he's so significant, because he does things that coaches can't teach.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you know.
Speaker 8: He he dominates the game with things that just don't stop and show up in the stat sheet. And that's the reason why he's one of the top point I.
Speaker 4: Still think he's still one of the.
Speaker 8: Most dangerous point guards in America question and without even having to score, because he can just do so many things to help his team win, and that's what the point id's supposed to do.
Speaker 3: I think another big plus for Kentucky, and he gets some run on TV a little bit, is Andrew Carr because I think when he's playing alongside Williams or Garrison, you know, he just provides that added measure of d I think his defense has improved. You can tell me if I'm wrong, but I think his defense has improved. And he's a veteran player, and he's got long arms just like a Maris, just like Garrison. So and he only had what a couple of rebounds, but he affected a lot of plays in the paint. I just think the one two punch of Kentucky's post player and Andrew Carr is a real matchup issue for a lot of people.
Speaker 8: I think I agree with you, Dick, but I think he's he's more of a matchup problem on the offensive end more so than.
Speaker 4: A defensive end.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, because when he's playing the four, most fours aren't as big, and they post him up on that little curl cut and it's unstoppable.
Speaker 4: And then his length, you.
Speaker 8: Know what I'm saying, when he's garden another four. You know, he's sixty nine to sixteen and he's garden fowards that are six six sixty seven. And so his his lot, his his his length bothers people.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 8: And then he he's a he's a tough matchup too.
Speaker 4: On the offensive end.
Speaker 8: I mean he's becoming more aggressive. I think he's healthier now, he's getting a little guy a little more popping his step.
Speaker 4: He's becoming more athletic because of his back. His back's thet better.
Speaker 8: So I just think this team right now, you know, they got seven or eight guys that can really really play. And then shoot, how about how about the one kid from b YU who who's starting to, you know, contribute a little bit.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, and then.
Speaker 8: You got you got the hollering, you know, the hollering of Fashin that's just coming in and and and and and giving you whatever he needs. You know, he's getting on a back cut, he's making a three. He's trying to compete as much as he can, even though he's not laterally quick. But he's compete, yes, Dick, And that's the difference. When you compete no matter how loudly quick you are, that's all that's needed. And he's doing the better job of that. He's playing angry, you know, he's not getting up and just getting straight bline to the basketa like he was. So I'm telling you right now, man Mark Pope and his staff has done a great job of making adjustments and making defense a priority, knowing that you gotta have stability on that side of the floor to have.
Speaker 4: A chain, especially in that sec.
Speaker 8: Jergernot not only that, but also in this NTAA tournament, he is Sean.
Speaker 3: Woods, the unforgettable guard. We will talk more with Sean on the other side of the break because the Sweet sixteen is here. Back in a minute on the Big Bloon Sider six thirty Wlap Welcome back. We're talking with the unforgettable guard Sean Woods. His jersey hangs in the raptors of Ruppwood just so happens to be where the boy Sweet sixteen is happening this week. And Sean, you've been covering high school basketball on TV side all year long. You told me so gosh two months ago. How good Saint X is. I hate to say it being a Trinity shamrock, but give them their due. Have not lost to a team from the state of Kentucky. But my question is, can anybody knock them off?
Speaker 8: From what I've seen, Dick, from what I've seen now, I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I just think they're just they're two.
Speaker 8: They are high octane offensive basketball juggernaut for a high school basketball team in the state of Kentucky. I think they from from from I mean, I think they're deep. I think every position they can be a threat to score.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 8: I like great crossing, you know, but I just don't think great crossing is explosive enough to stay with a Saint X I mean these I mean they they beat Doug Douglas, and I thought Douglas was one of the strong routinees, especially from the defense in events.
Speaker 4: They just went through Douglas earlier in the year.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you know, I just you know, Malachi is going to have to in his stay. I mean his his guys are really going to have to step up because this team is is really, really, really good.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about this.
Speaker 8: Not only days the number one team in the state, they're top twenty five in the country.
Speaker 3: Yes, well they haven't. They have lost anybody in the state.
Speaker 8: No, and and and and to my knowledge, not too many games have been close unless they fall in their faith, you know, and and and get that that that that that sweet sixteen curse. You know, and you're the number one seed. I just don't see it. I don't.
Speaker 4: I just don't see it.
Speaker 8: I mean, yeah, the eleventh region was the most competitive region in the in the country, I mean in the state.
Speaker 4: But still the number one team in the state.
Speaker 8: Was was was A was the Saint next?
Speaker 3: Yeah, interesting that Danville Christian comes out of the boys regional tournament. They won the girls regional title. That's the tiny school that just started playing sports not too long ago. They've got some foreign imports who were making it tough in that region. I'm curious to see where that program ends up.
Speaker 8: Well, you know that coach has done both coaches, men and women, have done a good job of getting some young talent in there and to where they can be a significant you know, make a significant impact early. And they did that. You know, they did a good job of getting some kids to transfer over. They got the girls, got to do some great young girls.
Speaker 4: That's you know, eighth grade is coming up. That's really really good.
Speaker 8: And this men's team is I'll tell you what they're.
Speaker 4: They're they're they're forced to be reckoned with.
Speaker 8: I don't think they're quite as good can get through sat X or you know somebody like that. But they they have done a great job. I'll tell you what I saw probably the best high school game I had every I thought the Brian Station Douglas and the Brand I mean the Brian Station against Malachi and then Douglas against Malakay. I thought those are the two best games I'd seen all year. I got to take it back, Clark County and Montgomery County was the best basketball game.
Speaker 4: You know, all year.
Speaker 3: In the regional finals, that was crazy.
Speaker 8: Best basketball game I have seen. Yeah, that was, oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: Last second shot to get to the.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's like I said, you what, Montgomery County has a freshman Dick who I see if he can continue to get better to be wearing the big blue one day.
Speaker 8: They got they kind of they got some players, you know, and that rivalry, you know, has been a long rivalry and it was true to to the corps. Yeh last week in that regional finals.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know, you've got an interesting situation coming out of the fifteenth region. You've got a super super region format or something like that what they're calling it. You don't have enough schools over there. You know, you've only got you've only got fourteen high schools in Region fifteen. You know, you had thirty two in nineteen sixty and it just keeps dwindling population consolidation. So now they've got a super regional format. Lawrence County lost their district tournament opener to Prestonsburg, but still they're in the regional tournament. He bounce back and win it. You got to worry for a situation like that, don't you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you do you do.
Speaker 8: And for whatever reason, people are moving away in that area or whatever.
Speaker 3: But they got Connor. Yeah, sure, yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's just like where I'm from, Eachicago, Indiana. You know where Junior Bridgeman was from. Also, god rest is so went to his funeral the other day. But it's the same thing. You know, the steel mills were booming back in the day, you know, and that region was had a significant impact on Indiana.
Speaker 4: High school basketball.
Speaker 8: Now you know, there's the Gary Roosevelts are not not there anymore, the the lou Wallace's, you know, it's only Gary West Side the only public school now, the Horseman the Works, they're not there. The East Icugo, Roosevelt, East Cargo, Washington's, they're not there anymore. They're having highs to come having Central. Everybody's consolidated because the lack of of of kids, and and and and the popular popularity I mean, i mean the population is joing them because you know, the steel mills.
Speaker 3: Are doing the w Yeah, and you know, we've talked about this for years, just you know, basketball fans and wondering what's happening to high school basketball in the state of Kentucky and consolidation has got a lot to do with that obviously, yes, because if you had four schools the consolidated the one, you go from sixty potentially you know, kids playing ball, let's say four fifteen man rosters down to one, you know, so you just don't have the population.
Speaker 8: No, And then there was said it takes away rivalry, which made people want to go to games, and now there's no rivalry. So guess what, nobody goes to games. Yeah, yeah, you know, and that's tough, you know. And then it's dueling around to where.
Speaker 4: That affects the state.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, yeah, you know, to where high school basketball and you can tell that high school basketball in the state Kentucky is doing them just because all you got to do is go to the Indiana Kentucky All Star Game.
Speaker 4: Man, you know, and that's a travesty.
Speaker 9: You know.
Speaker 8: I was so heartbroken because I participated in that and we all Kentucky Indiana.
Speaker 4: That was a priderful thing.
Speaker 8: That was like a Badger barn Banks in Indiana Kentucky All Star Game. You got guys, now the top players in the state that are bypassing that game.
Speaker 3: Hey man, I covered Dirk Minifield versus Isaiah and that was such a hot rivalry that there were two Kentucky Indiana two all Stars. Should say Kentucky All Star Game and you know two Derby Classics. I should say, uh And that just tells you where we were with high school basketball back then. But uh, yeah, we could talk about this all night. And I worry for the crowds at the Sweet sixteen because the Louisville schools aren't going to bring a whole lot because they're small. Danville Christian's not going to bring a big crowd. But you better know that when Great Crossing plays in Rupperina Thursday night, there's gonna be a crowd, isn't there.
Speaker 8: Well, Scott Kenny's gonna be in there, gonna be in there, hippo. You know, even the people that don't go to Great Crossing because Scott Canty still has great pride even though Great Crossing is the new school. Scott Canny wants to be a player, that's right, and Scott County and the near future.
Speaker 4: Will be a great player.
Speaker 3: But uh, and you're gonna have Kentucky fans when it comes to Malachi exactly.
Speaker 8: Oh, you know you're gonna see that and that's gonna be big time. You know what I'm saying, because now he's the only thing, only catch, you know, because he's he's going to Kentucky, and I hope I hope they don't get upset or whatever and make it all the way to the finals from a crowd standpoint, because you know every time he plays, it's gonna be mussy TV.
Speaker 3: He's got Davis County and then the winner of Henderson County and Cooper to get the Saturday, so Ruther Friday. So we'll keep you posting, coach. Thanks so much to you at the ball games.
Speaker 4: We'll do I appreciate it, Dick.
Speaker 2: I'll see him the next day.
Speaker 3: So and that'll do it for now. Thanks so much to my guess. That's a good night from the garage in Lexington.
Speaker 8: Life moves pretty fast. You don't stop and look around once in a while.
Speaker 5: You could miss it. Oh at.
Speaker 13: Such tact stating doing anything anything anna.
Speaker 9: Change?
Speaker 13: Then left don't have to back them from type, don't