Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout Podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So, since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families.
Speaker 1: Each Tuesday, we bring you a watch or rewatch of an older entertainment property. And for this week of March twenty fourth, we're continuing with Lost, Season two, episode fourteen. One of them where on this island that is so remote nobody can tell where it is? Out of nowhere? There's a new character.
Speaker 3: Hey, you guy, what's up? He got there by a balloon?
Speaker 1: He says, Yes, this place is remarkably populated for a deserted island.
Speaker 3: Right, he says, I've been here for four months, like, okay, where exactly how big is this place?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 3: Yes, but something fishy?
Speaker 1: Yeah you think so?
Speaker 3: Do you?
Speaker 1: Are you on team Danielle and said that he is another and he will lie on, lie and lie, or on team Jack who thinks that they're crazy, or just Locke who is mostly concerned with hitting the damn button. And well he should because what when it didn't like it sounded like that magnet was powering up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then and then it was like hieroglyphics, yeah, coming up on the screen.
Speaker 3: So that seemed concerning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, but what do we think about Henry Gale? Legit or no?
Speaker 3: I don't think legit.
Speaker 2: I don't think he legitimately.
Speaker 1: It is ranch dressing that's good for seven years temperature. They could have tried to feed him. That would be the torture. We have this jar. It's been sitting at the jungle for eight years. I still I am sure it's try. I'll tell you everything made me eat that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't buy his stupid balloon story. Come on, man, come up with something else. He's like, well, we've had a ship, we've had a small plane, we've had a big plane. We need something else.
Speaker 3: No, I don't believe it. You believe it.
Speaker 2: I mean, he I agree, he was convincing, but yeah no, yeah, but then you're in the position of, like, as a parent, you know your kid is lying, and you're just gonna be like, tell me the truth. I know you're like, you know, it never works to be like, did you, you know, take this item that you weren't supposed to have, Like of course they're just going to say no, you know, you have to approach it different. But don't pull out their fingernails. Okay, no, don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, torture doesn't seem to be working too well anyway, but yeah, you do not surely do.
Speaker 3: Not endorse that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is the lying is always a thing with kids. There's a thing called crazy lying with some kids neurological disabilities have feel alcohol especially, and it's just where they kind of lose track of the truth. So they but the person in front of them wants them to say something. Yeah, so they just say something, right, and then they're in trouble, but they don't know what the truth is at that point. Yeah, and so you have to be a little sympathetic, but at the same time, you really need to.
Speaker 2: Know right, So, but you can cannot ask a dirt quish. It's not how you get to the truth. You got to start by asking them if they've ever buried a body and how many shovels of dirt did it take.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was a convincing a little bit there, because yes, you know, he has recent experience of bearing a loved one, and so feels like you would know if you too had recent experience.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: But that was tense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it's not like there was any relief in the flashbacks because no.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But and then I didn't realize until reading the recap that, like I knew I recognized some of the the guys in uh Iraq, and one of them was Kaid's dad or her yes, stepdad or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yes. I only realized that was him when he was looking at a picture of a girl and I thought, oh, yeah, that's right. I remember he was in this one. Yeah, I remember reading that he was in this one.
Speaker 3: I knew he looked familiar, but I wouldn't have figured that out.
Speaker 2: It's almost as if these people were all destined to meet in some way. Is almost they're all connected somehow.
Speaker 3: I'm starting to get that feeling.
Speaker 1: Interesting interested there is there is another connection there that we won't know about for a while. Okay, it is true. Yes, everybody. Everybody seems to be connected with everybody in some way. Right that's uh, yeah, I feel like we kind of didn't. Did we not have the SAYI torturing people's story before? I guess not. Maybe he just said this is how he became a torturer.
Speaker 3: But yeah, right, I think.
Speaker 1: You could just sit by the by the fire and tell Charlie that story and that would be it. Poor Charlie. It's like, okay, he's out of the sawyer frying pan into the said fire. Yes, like somebody please please give this guy a batter ranch dressing and give him a break some chips A.
Speaker 2: Tense times, Yeah we did. I mean, thank goodness for the ranch dressing for a moment.
Speaker 1: Of that whole uh, that whole humorous subplot ends with sawyer squashing of frogs, Yes exactly, although that frog was super annoying. How could that frog be so small and so far away?
Speaker 2: And yes, are we sure it doesn't have friends?
Speaker 1: Yes, I don't know. It's it's if I had a chance to squashed the bird that goes sits outside my window and goes chop.
Speaker 2: Chop.
Speaker 1: I might be tempted. I think I would just like to, you know, relocate him to another place. I bare him no violent ill will, but I want him very badly to shut up him or her. Yes by the high school chirpet people, sir, But kids in their classrooms, Yeah.
Speaker 3: They would enjoy that distraction.
Speaker 1: So loud, so loud, and so forceful, just like a not like the I mean, the tree frog at least had multiple sounds. This bird just sits there and does charp, and there's a weight. You have to wait for it to come again. You know it's coming.
Speaker 3: Again, coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, but that would have been a funner subplot if he had just let herlely relocate the frog at the end. But I guess nothing good happens on this island. I wonder what that frog was doing in another life that it went, oh dear, probably did something.
Speaker 3: Yep, we may we may never know.
Speaker 1: It was carried by a bird and dropped on the island. Or it had its own little balloon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the balloon. The balloon story is really what.
Speaker 2: I am pretty gullible. I believe a lot of things, but not that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there is also the matter. I don't know if this is a spoiler, although it shouldn't be. Is the name Henry Gale ring any bells to you?
Speaker 3: Yes, I know.
Speaker 2: That it well, I didn't get it until I read about it.
Speaker 1: But but Wizard of Oz with all the whiz stuff and the wizard, Yes, you may have.
Speaker 3: Some Wizard of Oz.
Speaker 2: That was the name of Dorothy's family, Gail, and there was an uncle Henry and yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so could also be suspicious. Could also just be a coincidence, posts there could be others.
Speaker 2: There are no coincidences on this show, just.
Speaker 1: You know, being blown into a new world just by you know, it wasn't a house, but still yeah. Anyway, Michael Emerson joining the show at least for a little time and quite wonderful at looking, could be genuine, could be squirrely right in alternate takes.
Speaker 3: Definitely leaving you guessing.
Speaker 1: I don't know if I had ever seen him before this he was in this show.
Speaker 3: But good actor. Yeah, and from.
Speaker 1: A parenting point of view, the dealing with small things that annoy you, which was the frog subplot for us, it's like, are there yet? Are there yet? Are there yet? Are we there yet?
Speaker 2: Yeah, mom, mom, mom.
Speaker 1: And I mean you can't squish them. You have to do them. You have to find a way to get them to shut up, you have to satisfy them. But you know, I think you do sometimes reach the same level of frustrations. You can you just stop that? Yes, yeah, I have. We have all been there, yes, yeah, and barking dogs for that matter.
Speaker 2: Yes, I was thinking the same thing, and just the general like mom, mom, mom. Yeah, like no no context, no pleasantries, just your name being repeated over and over from some far corner of the house.
Speaker 1: Yes, what, Yes, there is no good way to deal with those. I mean, you should be able to just sort of take a deep breath and say, none of this really matters, and I could ignore it, but you just, yeah, you cannot. No, And you know you can't yell. You don't want to be the person who's yelling and screaming at every single thing. But it's just what can I do to get rid of this? I also was amused when I guess was Anna Lucia saw Danielle first and then went and got said and said said, or Anna and.
Speaker 2: Lucia came up to them like encountered said when he was talking to Danielle.
Speaker 1: I think he brought her out. I think she saw somebody in the jungle that she thought was another.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and she's like, say, you know, come here, yes, yeah, And.
Speaker 1: Then he says to her, go back to the camp and don't tell anyone what you saw.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: How is it possible that she hasn't told everybody? Because that is the most guaranteed way, right somebody. Yeah, yeah, you need to be say to it. From a parenting point of view, if you say to a kid, you know, okay, don't tell anybody about this, that story is going viral, yeah, immediately. Just you can't keep something in and somebody tells you not to because now you've just told me it's significant. Yeah, you something and it's important and it's scary, but forget all about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you need to adopt the strategy of like, oh, whatever, I got this, you know, don't worry about.
Speaker 3: It, Like.
Speaker 2: Shrug it off as much as possible and then maybe you'll get away with it.
Speaker 1: Or I don't see anything. I think you're just to hallucinate, and that happens a lot on this island.
Speaker 3: Money.
Speaker 1: Just go back and have a cup of tea, right deal? With it. Don't say and don't tell anybody about this. You're a better student of human nature than that's. Yeah, exactly, news is going to get out.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: I liked the uh parenting strategy of Danielle, like giving Sai the gun and saying, here, here, you're worried about me, Here take the gun, and then I will be unarmed and you can be in charge. Right, And then of course she has a bow and arrows somebody with an arrow. It's like always, you know, give the give the child the feeling of agency, but have keep for yourself. Make sure that you you can take care of things if the need comes, the need.
Speaker 3: Arises, yes, which it did, Yes you did.
Speaker 1: Or whether it did or not, she did it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: Yikes, if we didn't have enough, draw a little more drama.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and as if we didn't have enough characters.
Speaker 1: One more yeah, another character, mysterious one. Yes, what will this do to the dynamic?
Speaker 3: It's already strained.
Speaker 1: Lock and Jack of lock trick Jack again, I guess, and then vice versa. They're just the two of them are just going to be in battle one way or the other. They like, they get together and then they they're like like magnets, you know, they get together and then they can't. They can't ever really one hundred percent agree on something. One of them is always going to be doing something to the other. Ah, Apparently something does happen if you don't put the numbers in.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's not quite right.
Speaker 1: But you can still put the numbers in late and ramp it down, I guess at some point to some degree. But what the heck? It's almost as if there's a magnet there. Have we ever heard that the man that there might be a magnet?
Speaker 2: Jack?
Speaker 1: Walk walk by with your key just in case somebody forgot.
Speaker 2: Isn't there anyone on this island who has like an artificial hip or something.
Speaker 1: I would be in trouble for braces in my wrist, Yeah, and my eye every time I walked by, my arm would slam them against the wall. That would be a problem. It would be a good way to test people if having implants of or something in their pocket. And I'll go stand by that wall. Next Tuesday we will continue with season two, episode fifteen of the Lost Maternity Leave.
Speaker 3: Huh.
Speaker 1: Sounds like maybe we're going to get one feature in the Ladies Got Got Men? Mucking things up pretty much. This time. Got a little Lucia and Danielle, but not much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Danielle incited all the action in this that's right.
Speaker 1: So that will be interesting to see what that means. Yes, and we'll see you back here tomorrow to start our new watch of Running Point. I have to see it right now. I listening to the Extra Hot Great where Dave was saying it the way I've been saying it. Yeah, and it's not Running Point, it's Running Point.
Speaker 3: It's Running Point.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash mamitude. But you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.