Speaker 1: It is six so five here Kentucky and it's Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas, Good morning Kentucky and a happy Monday.
Speaker 2: Let's get the week started.
Speaker 1: A short week for myself and I'm sure a lot of folks with the fourth of July coming up on Friday, I'll be out on Thursday. So that gives me a four day weekend. Can I get a hell? Yeah, I guess you've got a four day weekend as well, because you'll be with us. You'll be here Thursday, right, John's right, but not Monday.
Speaker 3: But not on Monday.
Speaker 2: How about us? A couple of four day weekends coming our way.
Speaker 3: And then I'm gonna have another a second straight four day.
Speaker 1: Week though, which is nice. Oh yeah, I mean that's the way to do it right now. Absolutely, you're part time around here anymore, man. I kid, he's a hard worker. He's the hardest working man in show business. John Alden, So, but yeah, we always I mean, if you get vacation, take the vacation. I this is just a testament to how hard of a worker I am, and just how I mean just it's a labor of love. I for a couple of years, got to November December, and I took some time, but I had more time, Like I left some time on the books because it's a user to lose the situation, and I just one I think after I've been here five years, I ended up falling into having more vacation time than that, like a lot more than I than I had, and with it being the holidays that's usually prime time for me. When I was when I was hosting sports talk radio, just because like even though like ratings and whatnot aren't even factored in towards I think the end of the year, I just felt like, I mean, when you've got usually UK and you've al playing in basketball around that time, obviously UK and youvel football now play around Thanksgiving. So I ended up I remember starting a new calendar year knowing that I didn't take like four or five days of vacation, and I said, never again, that's foolish, right, they give me the time off I need to I need to use it. I know I sound like the guy who when your interview, when you're getting an interview for a job, and what would you say is is your is your biggest weakness? Well, it's just that I worked too hard. I just I'm just, I just you can't keep.
Speaker 2: Me away off. Yeah, exactly, no days off.
Speaker 1: That used to be the brand, but not anymore because I need time off and look at the If your employer's going to give you some time off, you should certainly certainly take advantage of it. All right, So the big story so far this morning, especially here locally, but it's not just the local story. It's it's a national story as well as Hall of Fame. Four time Kentucky Derby winning trainer d Wayne Lucas passed away on Saturday evening at the age of eighty nine. Churchill Downs released a statement, a press release I should say yesterday to I guess, get the news out there formally and obviously this is a guy who when it comes to what he did, meaning he was a trainer in horse racing, and so much more than that, but clearly a legend, a guy who had four Kentucky Derby wins, six wins in the Preakness, four wins, and the Belmont Stakes. When it comes to the Triple Crown racist that I just mentioned here, I mean him having fourteen of them. I think only Bob Bafford has more. He secured twenty Breeders Cup victories, which of course was a recent record and obviously just a legendary career. And I did not have a chance to ever meet Dewayne Lucas, to have any interaction with him. Certainly he had a presence about him that let you know just how much of an impact he had on horse racing and an impact that he had on people. Again, I didn't get to meet him, but if I did, I feel like I would have known. It was a real privilege, just because you know, you'll hear about all of those accomplishments, and I didn't even get close to listing everything that he accomplished in the world of horse racing. But when you hear people who did cover him in his profession, and they did it for a long time, and they were able to develop somewhat of a relationship with him, Rather it be just professional or maybe it became a little more of a professional to where they were friendly. He certainly left an impact on them and that is something that really stands out when you are in whatever industry it is. For as long as he was I mean he was, I mean, he was a part of the Derby just a month ago, So a couple months ago, I should say. So this is obviously somebody who did it until he was eighty nine years old for you to have such a long career. And it's not to say that people claimed he was the most perfect human being ever, but I think he was genuine. I think he was consistent, and I just think it's human nature for us as humans to just appreciate that. And he certainly had a lot of people who appreciated him in what he did for them and the impact he had on not only the industry of horse racing, but also the impact here in the community. So rest in peace to de Wayne Lucas. Also over the weekend, Tom Jurich came back to be honored by both the university and the city. The former U of l athletic director had not been back in any kind of a formal you know, he was effectively fired in two thousand and seventeen, and then after that, I mean you'd hear about him being in town, you'd see some pictures pop up on social media. But last week he did a lot of interviews. In fact, he joined Terry Miners on h midweek last week and obviously a lot of coverage of it, as you could expect, and we'll let you hear a little bit about what he had to say coming up here in just a few minutes. In fact, i'll share with you a story that he shared on Saturday that has something to do with the current Louisville basketball coach Pat Kelsey, which I think Louisville fans will like to hear that. But I was happy to see Tom very much visually, I guess I should say visibly moved by those that showed up. And I don't know what the crowd was as far as the amount of people, but you could tell there were people there that he was happy to see. And there's probably some people that he lost touch with and maybe just forgot about, but them showing up to show that they appreciated all that he did not a surprise by any means, because he was so impactful for not only this university, University of Louisville when it comes to just creating the athletic department to be what it is today, he also had an impact on the city here. So again we'll get into that and a lot more. It's Consucka in his morning news on news RADIOAATE forty WHS. It is six sixteen here at NUCAN. It's Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty WHAS.
Speaker 2: Take us with you, REV.
Speaker 1: You go listen live at whas dot com or listen live on the iHeartRadio app. And also keep in mind you can use that talkback feature to interact with us and share whatever it is that you want with us here on news radio eight forty WHS. So the big story nationally is what took place yesterday in Idaho, and there's still a lot of unanswered questions as far as who this perpetrator was, what their motive was. But just an awful, awful, tragic situation as firefighters were called to what they believe was a fire that they needed to, you know, go help.
Speaker 2: And I mean that's that's I mean, I can't imagine.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've never It's probably this probably won't shock anybody, but I've never been in law enforcement or been a first responder or anything like that. And those who sacrifice potentially their life to go keep people safe, I mean those are special, special people, and I would imagine that rarely do they ever end up going to save people potentially and do what they're do what they're supposed to do, and not know if they're Evron gonna come home, because that's that's what you sign up for, and we need people like that. We're so appreciative for those that do choose to be public servants in that way first responders, but they became victims because the fire was believed to be intentionally set by someone who wanted to bring out firemen to the area. So I assume he could. I think they did say that it was a man, but they could just ambush these firemen, and it sounds like it was someone who had was a sniper. And yeah, just just an awful, awful story. And here's what we know right now, as far as just the latest overnight. They did in fact find the suspected shooter who allegedly again killed two Idaho firefighters and injured at least one. That suspect was found dead with the weapon. That was late last night. He has first responder cruise. We're pinned down for hours when a hidden gunman opened fire as they fought that blaze on Canfield Mountains just north of.
Speaker 2: Is It Court Aline.
Speaker 1: I'm sure I'm butchering that name Portelaine, Yeah, in Idaho there. So they first reached out about eight one in regards to a fire and then rifle shots rang out roughly thirty minutes later, which, of course forest deputies to return fire with helicopters. And just to you know, as far as who this person is, I've yet to see that we have any kind of an update as far as a name, but I'm sure we'll know here soon enough, and there won't be any kind of explanation as far as a motive it's going to make this make any sense. But again, we will let you know the latest throughout the morning. Here wouldn't shock me. By the time we wrap this thing up this morning, we'll have some more some more details for you, all right, So real quick on the Tom Jurich honor this weekend where he was brought back by the city and the school to have a part of Floyd Street named after him. Jurich Way, this is a little bit of what he had to say on on on Saturday. As many fans, supporters and I'm sure friends of Tom showed up to uh To to be there for him on this special day. And clearly, as you could tell here, it was it was a special day as he had a tough time controlling his emotions as as you know one would expect given given the situation.
Speaker 2: Overall, this is Eric Crawford's fault.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Taryln and I were driving on Tuesday to come up here from from our from South Carolina, and Eric said it's gonna be really emotional. It's no no, no, Aryln says, can you can you handle it? I said, oh yeah, this piece of cake? We this is not a piece of cake. I got off right here at the Cardinal Boulevard and it hit me hard. I haven't been back in eight years, and this is a place I love dearly and President. I wish you's so so much luck you. I've heard so many great things about you. I got to visit Josh yesterday. You got a great team together. You and Josh You're going to make a great team. And I just wish all of you the best of luck. This has never been a job to me.
Speaker 1: This was so we'll have some more of that for you guys a little bit later on. Also, I wanted to share a story that Jurrett shared about Pat Kelsey that I think Louisville fans will like so happy that Tom had that moment. I think I don't know if he didn't believe that he was appreciated around here, but if he didn't, then I would imagine after this past week and certainly Saturday morning, he has to know now right and good because he made an impact here that I don't know if there's anybody that's been as impactful on Louisville Athletics than Tom Jurche. All right, we've got an update of trafficking weather coming away and another update on sports with Scott Fitzgerald right here on news Radio eight forty WHS. Thank you very much, John Shannon. It is six thirty five here Kentucky ANDAs Morning News with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty WHAS. So parking meters may end up in the Highlands area, and that of course has business owners and obviously residents of the area sharing their thoughts and doesn't not a surprise that there's some that don't like this idea. But the parking Authority of River City Park they plan to add three hundred and twenty eight parking meters along Bargetown Road in the Highlands area to increase revenue and also parking turnover for businesses, meaning if you, and I guess is if you are, if you're a business owner, you would worry that if people are in fact going to have to start paying to park to come and give you business, then maybe they would they would go elsewhere because they don't want to pay to park. Right, you're competing with a lot of folks depending upon what your business is, and maybe you offer something that nobody else can give you. But if you're a restaurant or really just when you consider the businesses in that area, I'm sure there are other areas of Louisville that also have similar businesses and if there's not a strong preference on one or the other, I think with the economy certainly being the way it is, folks deciding to go to the place where they don't have to pay to park, if it's relatively the same distance like they wouldn't shock me at all.
Speaker 2: So there's there's I guess, a potential.
Speaker 1: Benefit that people wouldn't just wouldn't just set up, set up shop and not leave all day. But also there'll be people that maybe just don't want to have to pay to park in the Highlands because one they just want to save money, but also they've never had to do it before. So the meters are expected to generate two hundred and eighty five thousand dollars annually and it'll fund parks operations and not local projects. Residents, including friends of Bargetown Road, they opposed the plan, and they mentioned really that it's unfair that other areas like Frankfort Avenue remain meeter free. And that's where if you if you're competing with with other businesses similar to yours that are that are in the New lou area or in the Frankfort Avenue area, which again newlu may have parking as far as you have to pay out. I don't know that for certain, but Frankfort Avenue is an area that does not have meters now, and that may lead to people in that area this is benefiting from people that don't want to come and pay to park. So apparently they aim to have this completed by June of next year, pending community feedback. And I don't want to sound so cynical, but I just assume eventually, no matter where we go, there's going to be some type of parking fee associated. I mean, it's already that way now in a lot of places, and I don't like it. I try to find the cheapest option to park whenever I'm going somewhere, and there's clearly going to be a cost associated for me parking. But as far as just trying to find a space where I know I don't have to pay at all, I mean, maybe I'll get lucky, but there's certainly no expectation on my end of being able to find that, especially in big cities. In Louisville, of course, is the biggest city in this state, but obviously there's other cities to where. I mean, when's the last time you could be downtown Chicago and not have to pay to park somewhere. I mean, you get out of your car for five minutes in Chicago, they're getting fifty bucks out of you. I mean, I'm exaggerating a little bit, but maybe I'm not. I haven't been in Chicago in a while, and certainly the cost of everything has gone up quite a bit since my last trip to.
Speaker 2: The Windy City.
Speaker 1: But we went to the to Slugger Field for the Banana Ball event on Thursday, and we parked right there in that that lot that is I guess you'd call it the it's not the main lot for the stadium, but it's if you're looking out towards the river in front of the stadium, it's that lot to the left, and you scan the code and you put your card in and you put your plate number.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's a pretty convenient way to do it.
Speaker 1: But because of it being an event that was not a Bats game, it was Banana Ball with the Savannah Bananas in town and clearly a sellout crowd thirteen thousand people there, it was it was a flat rate fee for six hours, and I believe it costs like fifty five to sixty dollars to park. So I mean that I didn't like that, but I'm not at all surprised. The other thing, good John.
Speaker 3: I'll just say one thing. I wish places and events would just include the parking fee with your ticket, so you have to pay something separate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then that's that's a good that's a good point because if you own your own, if you own your own, if you have property that like for example, like the Bats don't own that lot that I've parked in, so therefore they may not have certain control over it. I mean, most places that I guess that are gonna host a huge crowd, where again, parking is gonna be a fee, and it's not going to be cheap. It's really just people taking advantage. I mean that's why for from now, and I mean you could go back. I'm sure you could go back many many, many years. And it's certainly the case today and it probably isn't changing. But as Churchill Downs has purchased many a lot of the land that's near their track, I mean it's the expansions they've made over the years. There are still people who own homes that are within walking distance of Churchill Downs and I would love to know what kind of money they make when they set up their front yard for a full week of people making their way to Churchill Downs that don't mind walking a little bit farther if in fact they you know, they can save a little bit of money. But yeah, I mean parking is it's uh you should now in a lot of instances, I say, just assume when you're when you're trying to in your mind think of what it's going to cost you to to to go somewhere and do something. You're thinking, okay, uh, maybe estimate fuel cost maybe estimate dinner and drinks budgeting, you know, the meal if you're going to dinner with the family. But also I would just keep in mind there maybe don't be don't be so surprised if there's always going to be some fee added because you have to park your car somewhere. I don't like it, but I just that's the way it is now. Unfortunately, which we'll talk about coming up here just a minute. Some things that used to just be free and now you know you're paying for parking is certainly becoming one of those. We'll get to that and uh, something else I want to take a look at here before we get to our next update on sports. We've got a breakdown here. If you've ever wanted to be on a reality TV show, there's a casting director that has spilled some secrets as far as what your best chances of getting selected in a highly competitive field as far as being on reality TV.
Speaker 2: Don't go anywhere. It's Kentucky.
Speaker 1: It's morning news right here, our news radio way forty to BHS. So things that used to just be free and there was never a thought of ever having to pay for it that now it's much different.
Speaker 2: Many many years later.
Speaker 1: This is one where I mean it's still technically free, but what you have to do in.
Speaker 2: Order to utilize this service you have to pay.
Speaker 1: And that is just TV TV was free with just that antenna, which, John, you're younger than I. Was that a thing when you were a kid. Do you remember television when you were a youngster where you had those bunny ears on the TVs they just set on the floor, you know those bill bricks.
Speaker 3: I've bought TVs, I've seen them, but we never have one in our house.
Speaker 1: It was the thing when I was really young, but it wasn't super common at that point. But yes, you could get networks like NBC, CBS, ABC with no subscription anything, if you just used if you just used in antenna. Cable has existed a while, but it was optional for a lot of people, and I guess early on when cable was new, you didn't know what you didn't have, right, so a lot of people probably weren't as excited to just go sign up to get more channels. But of course now things are much different. So technically now you can you can get the local channels with the Hulu Live YouTube TV, but that's not free. That that costs, and it's also not super cheap, to be honest with you, but you can still use the free version of what of what was done many many years ago with the antenna, but you have to now get a digital converter that that, of course, you know, is it's something that is not free. I don't know what it costs, but yeah, TV is certainly one of those things. And this is maybe not every financial institution, but banking service like the basic banking service, checking accounts and savings accounts and basic transactions. Back in the day, I mean they were free. I mean ATMs were free. In fact, it still is, I think if you use your own banks ATM, but now you've got monthly fees that are there for checking accounts and less than minimum balance is maintained ATM fees of course if you're out of network. I mean, this is I don't remember this, but airlines, like in the seventies flights included free check bags, meals and seat selection. Nowadays that is that possible. I mean now you got to pay. I mean I just assume there's gonna be six charges associated with my airline travel that are new every time I show up to get on a plane. I mean, that's just that's now become my expectation and I don't like it, But what am I going to do about it?
Speaker 2: Right? So?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then this is this is one that I hadn't really thought about. But water, I mean free tap water was given in homes, public fountains, restaurants, and bottled water really wasn't in anything like it is now as far as the industry, bottled water is now a four hundred billion dollar global industry, and restaurants can charge you five to ten dollars for premium brands if you want.
Speaker 2: To go that route.
Speaker 1: I've not been with many people that pay for a special type of water when they get water at a restaurant, but certainly people do. I don't know of this to be a thing here in our area. But grocery bags, paper plastic bags were free, and again I've been I don't know if I've ever gone to a grocery store, and I've I've gone to grocery stores in other areas. And it's not just here in my hometown here in Louisville, but I guess yeah, it's mostly in California and New York. They they have banned single use plastic bags, and they'll charge you five cents to twenty five cents for paper or reusable bags. Some stores charged for bags regardless of any kind of band sold.
Speaker 3: Does that.
Speaker 1: I've never been to Aldie, but that doesn't shock me to hear you say that, because I could see them doing that. But yeah, I guess just prepare to have some extra money to cover some of these added expenses that didn't used to exist. And again, nobody likes it, but I guess if you're prepared, and it's not a shocker to you, you'll be better able to adjust. Everything's expensive. You've got to pay for everything. And I'm not asking for free handouts, but I've a numb to something costing a lot of money and being substantially more expensive than it used to be. Because that's just where we are, all right. It is six point fifty one here Kitsuckyanda's morning news. That's where we are, and we've got another traffick and weather update coming your way. We'll get another sports update from Scott Fitzherield right here on news radio eight forty WHS