Speaker 1: Want to introduce you to Rudy. Rudy is the owner of Gracia signor Man. Look at you and welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Hi, thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: It's our pleasure. Now. Kayla was telling anybody that's been affected that's coming on the show that this is for you, not for us. It's very common for people to bring food. We didn't ask, we were hoping nobody would, but you did. And I ask this at the beginning, that we pay for it. I know a lot of people come on the show and it's kind of an exchange. We taste the food and it makes total sense. But in this case, we really we thank you for bringing it, and we're excited trust me to get into those burritos. But in this case, we really want to take care of you. So I just wanted to really thank you in a time when you guys are I find your footing.
Speaker 3: I completely appreciate it, and I'm incredibly grateful and thankful.
Speaker 2: But this is kind of like what we do. We well, that's food. You know, you share it.
Speaker 3: Food makes people happy, and and for me to be able to provide some nourishment for someone something that I know it's going to.
Speaker 2: Be delicious that you're gonna love. That's going to make me feel comforted.
Speaker 1: Are you saying I'm getting too thin? Are you worried? Seriously worried about this? But that's very kind.
Speaker 2: I'm saying that I do it.
Speaker 3: We do it from from the bottom of our hearts with great respect and gratitude for what you're doing, for for wanting to help us. And and if if you go to anywhere, any cook, any any restaurant, any people who works in the hospitality world, this is who we are. We we nourish people and we do it with all the heart. So if you if you can take my food and enjoy it place, that's very kind.
Speaker 2: That's that's all I ask.
Speaker 1: It doesn't it never gets all, does it to see somebody eat your food for the first time? Where it tell us a little bit about the beginnings of your truck, and then we'll get to where you are today.
Speaker 3: So I actually started the truck with the with the goal of going to school. I was working for a company before having the truck, but I was a non documented student, so I couldn't get financial aid and I couldn't really I couldn't get another job because I required legal documentation. But then when Obama created the DACA program, I was able to leave my other job, and I thought that was like, that was like the freedom that I wanted, that I needed, and it did provide a path for me to be able to do other stuff, but nothing like once I got out of that, out of that job, I couldn't get another job that paid enough for me to go to school. So I went to the drawing board and I started trying to think of ideas of what I could do to to pay for my education, because you know, I don't come from like a wealthy family. My mom, you know, all her life she's worked cleaning, like office buildings or like stuff like that, so she didn't really make a lot of money to pay for my school with no financial aid.
Speaker 2: So for me to go to school, I needed to.
Speaker 3: Find a way to make you know, enough money to not only support me, but be able to pay for my education. So I when I started the truck, it was when trucks started getting really you know, trying to get popular, and you know, I thought it was gonna be an easy, an easy, an easy it is sent to success, but actually it was very tough for the first two three years. I wasn't really making a lot of money, so I did put put school on posts.
Speaker 2: But eventually I built a rapport.
Speaker 3: I built a client base in the Palisades, and I was able to pay for school. I finished my degree in business administration from Calca to LA So that wouldn't have been able. That wouldn't have been possible if I didn't have my business. That allowed me a little more freedom, or financial freedom, more like just freedom in general.
Speaker 1: When did you start cooking? I started cooking out four years old. Actually, my grandma.
Speaker 3: She the first thing she showed me how to cook was like scrambled eggs and bacon, and that was my first time I cooked, so she showed me. The next time I tried to do it on my own, she wasn't with me, so I just I remember like putting a bunch of pots with like water all around the kitchen just in case I dropped something.
Speaker 2: And I started bringing the kitchen. I was like, there's something that happens. I'm just going, Yes, I always been in cautious individuals.
Speaker 1: That's a lot before you even cook anything. Hey, and you couldn't have been poor poor if you're putting bacon in there. Because it's like oevos Conweni's is the story maybe, I mean, like that's the first everywhere we laugh about it. You throw some hot dogs in there and it's like the best meal in the whole world. All Right, hak tyg. We're gonna talk more with Rudy when we come back. You can find out more at now are you pronouncing the s in both? Are you saying Grassia signor or grai? Okay? Yeah, uh so you can go find them on the web at g R A c I A s just single.
Speaker 2: Less single as for the Instagram handle.
Speaker 1: E n O R dot com. So we're talking to Rudy from Grassias signor a food truck and where can people find you? Now?
Speaker 3: So right now we're we're doing we're still doing two days in the physic Palaces. We're mainly focused uh in Brentwood on Samva Senta between Montana and Bundy from ten to two thirty.
Speaker 1: Holy smokes, this burrito is crazy. Now? Is that your main focus is breakfast burritos?
Speaker 3: No, that's like that's just like what a lot of people really enjoy. But we started the truck like focusing on our tacos. We handmade presster teas, everything fresh made the day of and that was our main focus. But a lot of people really enjoy a breakfast burritosh.
Speaker 1: This is for how many people? Just the one that's just the one? Oh my gosh, Like, how heavy is that burrito?
Speaker 2: I mean tacos, well, the tacos.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know there were tacos.
Speaker 4: I wasn't going to tell you, but there are tacos and they are phenomenal.
Speaker 2: I want tacos.
Speaker 4: There are actually no tacos, Kayla rose Lie. I'll share the tacos. I'll bring you a ro Oh.
Speaker 1: Listen to how put out she is the one we you know, so Rudy comes in, Bear's his entire heart. But the power of feeding people and you're hoarding you took them for yourself. I was going to you showed people who you are today, kayleb. You showed them who you are.
Speaker 2: If you taste the tacos, you'd understand.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because this burrito is insane. Now, this one is with with both beef and with bacon in it. So tell me how many. I mean, you brought a butt ton of food, So tell me about these burritos, and then about your menu.
Speaker 2: What would you like now everything?
Speaker 1: I want to know what's in these burritos? What you know, what's your best seller?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 3: So, like I said, the breakfast britos are one of the more popular items are menu just I think I think the reason why that is is just you're just so comforting and you can you know, there's there's no wrong time for breakfast. So they're delicious, they're comforting, and they're just packed with flavor. They they'll definitely fill you up. So we try to keep things very simple. Just make sure that you know our eggs are like silky soft delicious.
Speaker 1: Your ratios are on point. Yeah, that's super important for a breakfast brito to me, and the taco and everything else. But getting those ratios right where you get a bite of everything and you have like a mild heat going just basic, and then you've got three sauces that you can up the ante if you want in any direction for more flavor. And I like that because sometimes I'm in the mood for heat and sometimes I'm just not. And on its own, it's got a great little pepper heat to it. And I dig that that I can up that if I want, or I can keep it in that mode.
Speaker 3: We always tell people with our saucers are mainly for flavor. It's not too late burner, Yeah.
Speaker 1: For heat's sake. I've never understood that, you know, people go, you know, they just want to burn your tongue or something like that. Hey, you know what, can is it possible maybe to move our next guest a little bit, just to move things around a little bit. Can you guys stick around?
Speaker 2: Of course?
Speaker 1: He talks more. All right, great, we're talking to Rudy from Grassia Signor. It's a food truck they can find you can find you on social media as well, right Book, Instagram, Facebook, all of that Grassia Signor and the food. I can't wait to dive into those tacos as well. But your breakfast burritos are prom man, They're very very good. Right now, we're talking to Rudy very intos and he is the proprietor of Grassias Signor g R A C I A S E n O R dot. You can find them on Instagram at the same and we are just eating his food. He was affected by the Palisades fire because he has a well known food truck that was there and a lot of customers that would come and enjoy the food, their tacos, their breakfast burritos. He has now moved to to Brentwood, and that's working out for your You're on San Vicente.
Speaker 2: San Vasante to Montana and Bundy.
Speaker 1: Gotcha, So one one, nine for one San Vicente Boulevard Sunday, Thursday through Sunday, and you're still in the paliside Palisades on Monday and Tuesday then Mondesday and it's you know, a lot of people were affected by the fires, and we're trying to put some focus on the people that may didn't maybe didn't have something burned down a business, but it's been affected because the ecosystem has changed. Told us you're about being part of the DOACA program, and I know that right now that is up in the air. We were talking off the air, and the prayer is that that gets ironed out. I say, I always say, if we want bad people out, then we want good people in. And the key is to find out who those people are and how to do it. But I don't know who wouldn't want someone like you bringing food and joy and positivity to a country. And this food is spectacular, just just really it is made with the love that you'd get from a parent making you food.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you feel it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what I always tell my son when I make him something, I say, I put love in there that you know.
Speaker 3: It's funny that you say that, because that that's what my grandma used to tell me. She would always tell me, like you can always tell when someone makes your food, would love.
Speaker 1: Right, It's just it's the ingredient I've had. I've eaten a lot of food, obviously, and with this show, I get to eat a lot of different food. And I've been out to restaurants where the chefs prepared a meal that was technically perfect, like all the techniques. Everything that was done was done textbook, but it tasted like a textbook. Now, it just it was there wasn't that life behind it.
Speaker 2: It was technique versus soul.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there is a difference. There is something about that when somebody it's almost you want somebody to make something like they're making it for themselves and they go, hey, you hungry, take this.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: It's actually kind of funny that you say that, because in the truck, all of us when when we eat, when we eat, we prefer when we went to one of our other team members cooks it. Like we always say this, like it tastes better when someone else makes it for you, because when you make it, you're just trying to be perfect. But with someone else makes it for you, there's something in that phase from when they're making it to the point where you get it that makes it so special because someone else is caring for this precious meal that's gonna nurseh you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can. You can taste it, and it's just And that's anywhere. I mean, that's why you can't make what your grandmother made, or your mom made, or your dad made, or anybody in the family. You can't. Ever you could have the exact recipe, it won't taste the same because there's something about someone cooking for you. And we know this to be true. We know psychologically there's power in the anticipation. I'd much rather see someone enjoy something I made than me, even you.
Speaker 2: Did, for sure.
Speaker 1: So how did you come up with your menu? What other things are on your menu? So you have tacos and burritos.
Speaker 3: So tacos and burritos. So one of the things that I actually right when I started the truck I knew I wanted to have was one of our our beer battered fish tacos. They're one of my personal favorites. And uh, they go way back to when I when I lived in Tijuana.
Speaker 2: Because that's where I was born. The Baja style hostile, so.
Speaker 3: When when I came to this country, there wasn't a lot of good Baha hostile fish tacos.
Speaker 1: So my.
Speaker 3: When I would on Fridays when I would get out of school, my mom worked nice ships, clean and office building, and I remember because Friday was the day I didn't have to go to school the next day, so I would go with her from LA all the way to Santa Monica and the best taco we could have at that point was Reviews fish tacos. Oh yeah, and it was it was it was like this routine that we did on Fridays. I would go with her Santa Monica skateboard back to LA but before she went to work, our meal, our shared meal would be the Rebus fish tacos because it was the closest thing we could we could find too to the inns NaSTA fish talkers we would have in Mexico.
Speaker 2: So when I started the truck.
Speaker 3: I knew those tacos had to be in the menu the way I knew how to make him, the way I remember them to be.
Speaker 1: What do you think sets them apart? What is a true Baja style fish taco?
Speaker 3: Honestly, like like we were talking about earlier, it's just the care I put in it, and and just the fact that I want to I want to taste home every time I make him, every time.
Speaker 1: You know that talko was created food. Yeah, that's your mac and cheese man. Yeah, that's where you grew up. We all have it. We all have that that those items that make us, you know, think a home or think about growing up when things were simple, didn't have to pay taxes. I have to deal with any of that business. I also want to give a shout out to Judy. Judy Kergan. She is a listener who sent us your information and she knew about you, and she reached out to us and said, these you know, these people are really good people. They make fantastic food. They've been caught up in this situation. And that's what inspired us, through Judy and through your story, to know the path we wanted to go down. Because we've been talking about what we wanted to do about restaurants. There continues, La Times and others continue to write lists of restaurants that are trying to come back in the fire areas and stuff like that. So stick around, we'll do one more segment with you. Guys can really enjoy the conversation and the food. And of course you can go to Instagram or online to Gracia Signor only one S G R A C I A S E N O R dot com and find out where they're at and in the area of Brentwood right now. They do a couple of days there in the Palisades still, but they could use your life to stay afloat, and trust me, you can use their food and you know, I don't know, maybe you can freeze some, but I'd get a lot, especially if you're doing a day trip. Bring a bag, bring a cooler, whatever it takes. Right now, we're talking about a food truck called Gracia Signor and you can find them at dot com. You can find them on Instagram one S and UH. You can find out more about Rudy and Barrientos and he is the He is really the story and the food that he's making is outstanding. You know, Robin who's running the board and all the commercials and everything else going on, talks to me through the headphones, let me know, you know, spots and all those things. And right before we come on, she goes, these tacos are bomb, Like, Yeah, the food is fantastic. Another thank you and a tip of the hat to Judy Judy, Judy Kirkin. She's a listener and sent us the information. We've been wanting to do a show on the restaurants that are affected. We've been waiting basically to hear about the ones that are coming back, and we won't stop today. We'll continue to let you know about them and how to patronize them and keep them going. So what do you want people to know about your food and how to find you and how important it is to have, you know, regulars and a base of people coming to eat.
Speaker 2: It's a credit important to have regulars. That's that was there.
Speaker 3: That's where we were so successful in the Palace Stads because that community is a very small community that just supports everyone and and you know, we we became embraced by the community and therefore we were very successful.
Speaker 2: For over ten years.
Speaker 3: This was going to be our eleventh year in the palace, but the fires happened and everyone in that town is scattered all over la So as much as there, you know, we have a lot of loyal customers, as much as they're trying to support us. Because of the distance that this fire forced them to to just like move sure, it's really hard for them to to be there like as regular as they would pre fires. So everyone out there in Brentwood who loves food, loves delicious food, Mexican food, breakfast burritos, and just or just enjoys food in general, give us a chance so that we can win you over.
Speaker 1: And I have no doubt that that is exactly how it will end up. I'm glad to have a platform for you to talk to you so much, you know, because the food is really spectacular, and I love the story and I think it's important. You know, we hear a lot of things in the news, and you know, there's a lot of confusion about immigration and the good, the bad, the ugly, the legal the non legal, and all of these things that need to be sorted out. But the fact is, you know, there is a good there should be a good neighbor policy to be able to exchange between all of our neighbors here. That is a way that we aren't letting criminals or people in, but letting good folks and come do what they do. And and I think what you're doing is just wonderful. The food is just fantastic, man. Thank you made with love right in it. But you won't break your tooth on love man. So thanks again to Judy for putting this on our radar, and thanks to you Rudy for coming in and again GRASSI signor it is a g R A C I A S just a single ass e n O R dot com. Of course you can find them under that same moniker at on Instagram as well. Check them out where they are there in Brentwood and still a couple of days in the Palisades as well. But get on this. This is really special food by what seems to be a very special guy. So thanks for taking the time on my friend. Thank you, Neil, thank you, thank you everyone. Thank you, and tell them hello and that you heard it here. They need to know that there's support and people that care. You know, these things take a while. We're still dealing with what you know, COVID, You know the the remnants of COVID and working on the hospitality and restaurant industry, so there's still work to do to get out there. Those of us that can that weren't affected by the fires can help keep these places perched up. Thanks