Speaker 1: It's Nightside with Dan Ray on w b Z Boston Radio, the Iike's One to Day on Wall Street, and the the Red Sox. It's salvage a win, but barely. Uh anyway, Uh, it's it's and the weather is really cold. Spring has not sprung. We're like a third of the way it seems to me, well not a third, maybe a quarter of the way through the spring. But that's okay. We're gonna cheer with Betty up tonight, that's for sure. My name is Dan Ray. Thank you very much. Nicole rob Brooks, the producer of Nightside, is back in the broadcast to center in Medford, Massachusetts. He's all set to begin to take your phone calls beginning at nine o'clock. In this hour, we have four very interesting guests. Each of them have a story that you should be aware of, and and we will get to all of them, I promise. And later on tonight at nine o'clock, we're gonna talk about that that MBTA train collision with a tractor trailer truck yesterday and Canton. I'm sure that we'll figure out what happened or how that happened there. But I got some questions and We're going to raise those at nine o'clock, and then we will talk about the roller coaster ride of the stock market which continue today. Yesterday they climbed Killimajaro and today they get right down the other side, just up and down like a literally like a yo yo. So we'll get to all of that, but first let's get back to something we can all agree upon, and that is the Stepping Strong Center at Brigham and Women's Hospital with us as Cheryl Lang. She's the program director for the Stepping Stone Stepping Strong Center at Brigham and Women's Hospital. Easy for me to say, Cheryl Lang, Welcome to night Set. How are you this evening?
Speaker 2: I'm great, Dan, how are you? Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: You know, this is a wonderful organization that came out of the the horrific events of the marathon bombing. Now it's going to be, believe it or not, twelve years ago this April. It just doesn't seem possible that the twelve years have passed. But how did this start? There was a young woman who was injured. Her name Jillian Rennie. Is that how her name was pronounced?
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right. Jillian Rennie was unfortunately, one of the survivors of the marathon bombing. She was cheering on her sister at the time at the finish line with her family, and she unfortunately suffered traumatic injuries to her legs. Thankfully, she was treated at Brigham and Women's Hospital, where the doctors and nurses were able to save her life and both of her legs. And as a result of learning, you know, just how underfunded and neglected the field of traumacare is, and being a trauma survivor herself, her family really wanted to give back to the brig down and so they started this incredible center that I'm so fortunate to be a part of, called the Jillian Running Stepping Trauma Center for Trauma Innovation at Brigham.
Speaker 1: Now, my understanding is that as many great charities do you folks actually have a running team raising money for the center. You've done it how many marathons in a row? Now?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah. We started in twenty fourteen, a year after the marathon bombing, and it is our largest fundraiser for the year. It is critical to the work that we do. We basically we fuel a lot of trauma research and really advance the field of trauma care through innovative treatments and discoveries. We do educational programs for both clinicians and the general public to prevent trauma or treat trauma, and also improve recovery of trauma. Really critical to all of the work that we're doing, and we are so fortunate this year to have about one hundred and fifty three runners on our team all fundraising for trauma care.
Speaker 1: What do you think you raised this year? I'm sure you have some idea of what you want to raise. One hundred and fifty three runners, that's multiplied by all of the people who support each of those runners. What have you raised so far? And well, what did you raise last year? And what are you trying to do? What are you going to try to do this year?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we are trying to raise at least one point seven million. We are at our one point four million mark right now, which you know, again is super critical because trauma research only receives less than two percent of federal research funding, and so we really do fuel all of our funding towards trauma research, and we have given about eight million so far over the decade that our center has been around towards trauma research, and we really couldn't do it without the fund from the marathon, so it is essential if you've raised eight.
Speaker 1: If you've raised eight and you're going to try to get to one point seven, you're getting close to the ten million dollar mark, or hopefully get close to the ten million dollar mark, and I'm sure we'll exceed that next year. What can listeners do? I assume that the running team at this point is well formed, so you probably can't get any more bibs to run, But what can listeners do if they'd like to support a runner or support the program?
Speaker 2: Generally, Yeah, we have a website it's the Brigham and Women's Stepping Strong Marathon Team where people can go and donate and support runners who are obviously working really hard to get to their fundrais and goals and otherwise. Like our center also does the five k and the ten k and other running running fundraisers as well, if people want to get involved, We're always looking for ways to increase our running community and really help advance the field of trauma care and breathe awareness about it.
Speaker 1: So if people aren't ready to run a marathon but like to participate in a five k or a ten k. Is that throughout the year. That's just not a marathon weekend?
Speaker 2: Is so no, not just marathon weekend. We do. We have teams with the Boston five k, the Boston ten k which is in June, and then also the Falmouth road Race, which is in so many opportunities.
Speaker 1: Let's do that website one more time, nice and slowly, so everybody can write it down. And we have a lot of runners in the Boston area. I think most most people realize the running heritage and the running legacy that exists in this community. Going back to you know, Johnny Kelly and the first marathon was at eighteen ninety seven here in Boston. Tell us, how give us that website nice and slowly one more time?
Speaker 2: Sure, so it is run? Are you U N stepping strong s t E P p I n G strong s t r O n G dot org run steppingstrong, dot org perfect perfect.
Speaker 1: That's nice, short, simple words that everyone can spell. And remember, folks, it is a dot org. Well, I just say again, what odd of that horrific tragedy of twenty and thirteen has come so many great works of so many good people, and you folks are right in the forefront of this. Ye're at the tip of the spear. So the congratulations, Cheryl, wish all the all the best, and I hope that some of our listeners, if they can't participate as a runner, maybe they can participate as a donor and I get it. Get in touch with you at run steppingstrong dot org. Thanks so much for your time tonight, Cheryl, and best of luck on Monday, April twenty.
Speaker 2: First, thank you so much, appreciate.
Speaker 1: It, welcome, have a great night, Thank you so much. When we get back on to talk about another event that is a great event, it's called Hot Stove, Cool Music. They celebrate twenty five years of a star studded CONCERCT in Boston that features everyone from former Red Sox players to a rock and roll Hall of famers. We'll be talking with the CEO and director of the foundation to be named later right after this break. My name is Dan Ray, and you're listening to Nightside on WBZ ten thirty and your AM dial. We're in iHeart Radio station of course, rad legacy radio station having gone on the air. Oh here in Boston, Massachusetts. Back in twenty or nineteen twenty one, we celebrated one hundredth anniversary in twenty twenty one, and you can. We're now an iHeart radio station. You can pull down from the app store, an absolutely new and improved iHeartRadio app which will provide you with so many sources of entertainment and information. But most importantly, you'll be able to put as your first preset on your iHeart app WBZ Radio, so that wherever you are in the world, anywhere in the world, literally three hundred and sixty five days a year, twenty four to seven, you can listen. You can be in touch with WBC. You'll only be a finger tip away, or you'll never be more than a fingertip away. When we get back, we're going to talk about music, Red Sox and Rock and Roll, Hall of Famers, Hot Stove, Cool Music, twenty five years. Where's the time gone? Back?
Speaker 3: Right after this, you're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 1: Well, we have a big event coming up this weekend, actually this Saturday night, and with us to talk about it is the executive director of the Foundation to be named later Elise Now, Jimmy Alease, Welcome to Night'side. How were you Dan?
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me. I love your show. I'm doing very well.
Speaker 1: Thanksane, thank you very much. I think most people know that Hot Stove Cool Music is a great charity that is involved with the Red Sox organization. I think Peter Gammons and Theo Epstein may have actually started this, but it's amazing to think that it's been now around for twenty five years. Say it ain't so that. Where is those twenty five years gone?
Speaker 4: Where have they gone? It's so true. So yeah, So here's the story. Peter Gammon's started Hot Stove Cool Music in two thousand. This is before CEO and Paul even started the foundation to be named later, because Peter wanted to give back, so he didn't want to do a golf tournament. He wanted he loves music and he loves baseball, and a lot of baseball players loved playing music, so he started it and THEO actually back then played guitar in a band, so THEO used to jump in and play with them. And then after, of course, you know, we won the World Series in two thousand and four and THEO was the general manager helping with that. He and his twin brother Paul decided to harness all the love of the Red Sox fans and turn it into good in the community. So they created the Foundation to be named later, named after you know this, but some people might not realize it. They didn't know what to name it after they created it, and Paul said, let's name it later, and THEO said, let's just name it after a player to be named later. The Major League Baseball trade term when he goes to trade a player and they don't know who they're going to get. So that name stuck. And they started this twenty years ago and Peter decided to give the Foundation to be named later hot Stove Cool Music, so that it would be our signature event. So we have had Hot Stove Cool Music as our signature event that we run since since Paul and THEO started the foundation.
Speaker 3: And Peter, you've got.
Speaker 1: Carrying along the baseball theme here. You have quite a line up on Saturday night. Their tickets are still available, but this is going to be a big event. It's at the Paradise on Commonwealth Avenue in Boston. Uh you got you know, as we mentioned, Peter THEO, Sam Kennedy, the president of the Red Sox. I'm not sure how many of these folks are going to be playing, but who's who of Boston Sports. But you even have a former New York Yankee star who is a standout musician center field of Bernie Williams.
Speaker 3: We do.
Speaker 4: Bernie is a big part of our family and has been for a long time. Lenny DeNardo is going to be playing, and you know Josh Cantor the organists from the Red He'll be playing and headlining. The whole show is going to be cheap trick. They are Hall of famers as well. We have a lot of Hall of famers coming. And then the guys from the Cars Greg Hawks. Sadly we lost w'k okasik, but the Cars guys are going to do a whole set of Cars songs for us. And then we have k Hanley from Letters to Cleo, Bill Janovitz from Buffalo Tom. They are some of the founding musicians of Hot Stove. And yes, tickets are still available. It's all a donation. We want you to have as much fun as possible and do as much good as possible. So the tickets are on our website at Foundation to be named later dot org or ft b NL dot org, which is the first Letter of our name Foundation to be named later, and all the money goes to our Peter Gammon's College Scholarships for young people who are overcoming mendus obstacles to get to college. We pay their tuition gap, we give them a mentor who stays with them all through their college journey. We help them with internships, and we also help them get jobs. And all we ask is that they turn around and help mentor the next generation of Gammon scholars. So we're really really lucky that this concert helps us do that. And we have the best people in attendance and the best people on stage, and the best people promoting it like you.
Speaker 1: Well, my pleasure, that's for sure. So it's the paradise on Comwealth Avenue. It's this Saturday. The doors open at five. I know it's supposed to be a rainy day Saturday, but what a great way to spend Saturday night indoors listening to some Greek music. The concert starts at seven pm and the tickets available at Foundation to be named later dot org or if you just want to do the acronym FTBNL dot And I know over the years you've had some great current place. Of course, the Red Sox are going to be on the road, so no Red Sox players will be in attendance, but the former Red Sox will be represented very well there. And as they say, even to just to show how open minded this this foundation is, you're even allowing a former Yankee to participate. I guess Bernie Williams is quite the musician. I mean he was. He was a musician in center field with the Yankees. He was a great player with all those Yankee championship teams. And is he doing this? Is he? I believe, and I'm shooting in the dark here, but tell me if I'm wrong. I believe that he actually now makes a living at that, and that he does albums and he tours and he is a full time musician. I hope I'm not overstating it.
Speaker 4: No, you're one hundred percent right. Bernie actually went after his baseball career. He went to music college and he became reallyized and educated in music and performance. And now he does it all over the place. He does a lot of it for charity, but he's in high demand, even in Boston. There's nothing better than watching Bernie Williams and Bronson Arroyo play together. On stage and backstage talk about how they opposed each other on the fields. It's just such a fun night that all these really magical things happen. Especially, you know, when you're at this event, it's a small venue.
Speaker 1: It's less as long as Bernie doesn't bring a rod along with him, because a rod will try to knock the guitar out of Bronson's, Broun's and Arroyo's hand. I'm sure you know that story back from the playoffs where a rod tries to knock the ball out of Arroyo's hand as he's he's going to try to tag him. But yeah, so it's great combination baseball in music, best forms of entertainment that you could possibly have Saturday night at the Paradise nine sixty seven Commonwealth Avenue. Doors open at five, concert starts at seven. Again, tickets available at the Foundation to be named later dot org or ftb NL dot org. Great job, thanks thanks so much, Elise. Now Jimmy the executive director, and you did a great job tonight and we'll have you back anytime. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Oh you're so kind. Thank you for having us and have a great night. I hope to see everyone there. Take care, there'll be a lot.
Speaker 1: Of people there, I'm sure. Thanks, thanks so much, Elise. All Right, we are hit hit the bottom of the hour here, So we got a newscast coming up for a few minutes, and then we will be back, uh, and we're going to talk about the long standing tradition of take a child to work day and beyond, and a little later on I'm going to talk with a gentleman about what is calling the Great detachment, meaning a lot of people are going back to work or are back and worth but they're kind of detached from work. I don't know why, but we will find out. So we have two more guests, and then, as they say, after nine o'clock, I want to talk about that accident yesterday. I just still don't understand how this happened, and i'd like to, you know, talk about that. We'll be back on Night's Side right after the news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 3: It's Night Side with Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 1: Porry. Welcome back everyone. We are going to talk about a tradition in this country which is a great tradition. Frankly, I have known about it forever, but I certainly don't know when it started, and that's going to be one of the jobs that my guest, Edgarhouski is going to explain to us. Explain to us. It's a take a child to work and beyond. Ed, I probably have butchered your last name here. I'm guessing it's Grachoalski.
Speaker 5: It's Korhalski, but works too.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so the sea is silent, so it's Kwhoalski. Okay, I got it right. Yeah, well yeah, why do you make the C silent there? I mean, that's a great letter. I mean, that's an important letter of the alphabet, one of the most important twenty six letters there are. So you're you're the chief marketing officer of Junior Achievement USA. I remember Junior Achievement. That's been around while?
Speaker 5: Yeah, actually where Junior Achievement has been around for one hundred and five years and.
Speaker 1: It's a while.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's been quite a while.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I remember when I was a kid back in the last century. So us tell us about take a child to work day and beyond. I know it's almost self explanatory, but it's Thursday, April twenty four to twenty What you tell us about it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so take a Child to Work Day and beyond it's really the evolution of take your daughter to Work Day. You'd mentioned it goes backways. It was actually nineteen ninety three when it started. I was originally with the MIDS Foundation and then kind of had some different iterations and now Junior Achievement is leading the effort in partnership with our friends over at Staples. And as you mentioned April twenty fourth, there'll be young people going into workplaces across the country to see what the world of work is like up close. So again we're happy to continue this tradition.
Speaker 1: Now April twenty fourth is a Thursday. Is that a legitimate day kids can skip school? And yeah, bomb or Dad, what's going on there?
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, so typically schools will give permission. We do have actually on our website. If you go to take take a Child to Work Day and search that with Junior Achievement, you'll find a website we have forums where you can actually get permissions from school so you can bring your child in for the day or more importantly, these days, we actually have opened it up so all kinds of kids can go. And so if you don't have a child and then have an opportunity to go to work with a parent. Through Junior Achievement and other organizations, you can partner up and have them get a job shadowing experience, either on April twenty fourth or really year round. That's where that beyond comes in.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, that then does explain it. How important is it in your opinion that whether it's someone's child, meaning a son or daughter, or for that matter, a niece and nephew, or I guess in theory it could be a neighborhood a neighbor's child. It doesn't matter what the parent does, whatever they do for a job, it's important. And I think that every parent. I can remember as a kid getting a chance to go to work with my dad occasionally. You've got a sense of what a job was like, responsibilities, whatever the job is, whether your parent is selling cars, fixing cars, building cars, you know, a greenskeeper, to golf course, anything, you could imagine that those Every job is important. Is that part of the.
Speaker 5: Message, Yeah, it is. Every job is important. It also gives young people exposure to again, either what their parents doing or just different jobs in the workplace. You know, kids really only know what they see and you know right now you have a big proportion of kids out there who all want to be influencers because that's what they see. But we know we can't all be influencers. So it does give them an opportunity to see what different jobs there are, what kind of winds up with their interests and talents, and gets them to start thinking about, you know, this might be something that I want to do, you know, in the future, and how from an education standpoint can I get there. So that's really the intent of the program.
Speaker 1: I also want you to explain Junior Achievement how it has evolved over the years, because there may be people who are listening to again, parents or grandparents who are involved in Junior Achievement and have lost contact with it. What's the status of Junior Achievement these days and how can families or how can kids participate?
Speaker 5: Yeah, so Junior Achievement is a thriving, growing organization. We reach four and a half million young people a year, including in the Greater Boston area, and really we emphasize work readiness, financial ordercy, and entrepreneurship. A lot of people may remember Junior Achievement for our after school program, the Company Program, where kids would start companies and go door to door selling stock and products and services and things like that. That was the foundation of our program up until the mid seventies, but since then we've expanded into schools. We have programs for grades K through twelve and really just all kinds of great exposure for young people in terms of understanding how the world works. Frankly, it's real critical life skills. And so anyone who is interested in finding out more about DAY, then good to our website j dot org and you know, learn about the organization in general. And also if they want to connect with JA locally, there's there's ways to do that through that website.
Speaker 1: I will bet you that there's a lot of pretty well known Americans who can trace the beginning of their exposure to the business world or to adulthood through junior achievement. I'm shooting in the dark hair because I sometimes ask questions that we don't script our questions here on Night's side. So I'm just wondering, are there individuals who most of my audience would know, who participated in junior achievements as young people and have gone on now to become pretty successful.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, Mark Cuban is a name that comes up.
Speaker 1: He was in jay and actually Dallas Mavericks.
Speaker 5: Dallas Mavericks, Yeah, and you've seen him on Shark Tank, but he Yeah, he was involved with Junior Achievement in Pittsburgh when he was a teenager and actually has said that junior team had taught him, you know, everything he knows about business. So that's a that's a great testament. Doctor Sanje Gutta on CNN, who you know, he's a doctor. You wouldn't think that, he said, jay A really taught him how to be confident in presenting himself because he had to go in front of people and talk. And so we've got lots of stories like that from different different folks, and not just not just notable folks like that, but really millions of people who've gone through the program who credit j for helping them really discover their potential and succeed in life.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, there's been a story in the newspaper up here in the last few days. We haven't talked about it much on the air, but it made the point that I guess this year. The story came out of the Harvard Crimson newspaper that at Harvard University, they're actually teaching remedial math to some of these the freshman students at Harvard. Now, you would think that Harvard would as always accept the best and brightest, and to think that remedial math is being taught to kids who are being accepted at Harvard points out that there's probably a lot of kids who can benefit from these programs. Yeah, go to school, you know, attend classes, get your grades, all of that. But when you when you're spending so much time in front of computers again maybe aspiring as you mentioned earlier, to become influences, you're missing out on great programs, you know, whether it's Scouting or whether it's Junior Achievement where you learn how to you know, how to market something, or even better yet, how to market yourself, which is you get comfortable talking with other people. And I just think that a lot of parents and a lot of grandparents maybe have forgotten that the groups like Junior Achievement are available to help their children and their grandchildren apart in a way from the video screens. And you can get lost in those video screens. I know sometimes I'll get lost in those video screens and I'm thinking to myself, you know, okay, that's enough. I've seen enough old time hockey fights, or I've seen enough, you know, you know, great moments in baseball. Let's let's let's get back to work. It can be, it can be really a real temptation there. And I just think kids miss a lot by not being involved. I'm kind of old fashioned. I think about the idea of kids having paper roots and how many kids who had a paper route that was what laid the foundation for their sense of how the economy runs, what newspapers are. You know, we've gotten away from a lot of that stuff in the last twenty, you know, twenty or so years, And I think to the detriment of young people. I don't know if you agree with that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, I think it's it's one of those things. I'm a gen xer, so again, I grew up in that environment where you were interacting with other kids and adults, and what we find as kids are today. It's a real eye opening experience to be in a situation where you're kind of thrown in with kids that you don't know, with a mentor and you kind of work together on a project or an activity it's an origining experience and a lot of kids who you know have been in front of screens. I mean, technology has its place, but it can't replace the interactivity that happens when you're having conversations with other people and kind of discovering really had to have that communication and problem solving. And so that's one of the reasons why we do have the support we do as an organization because you know, employers across the country see that. I mean, those are the top concerns that express when they have new employees is you know, they don't get along with other people, They're not able to communicate, they can't manage time, they have a hard time processing things from a critical thinking standpoint, and so programs like Junior Achievement, where there's that interactivity and that mentorship and that hands on learning experience are really important for that and.
Speaker 1: All great points. So give us the web side one more time. I guess it's pretty simple. Ja dot org. Is that it ja dot org.
Speaker 5: Yes, you're going to find out more information on junior Junior Achievement and take a child to work day and beyond that's that's where to go.
Speaker 1: Perfect, so Ed Groholski, Thanks so much for your time. I hope that a lot of my listeners, even if you're a grandparent, think about your grandchildren. If your parent, think about your kids, get them involved in junior achievement and other organizations like that. It lays a foundation for a successful life. Edgar Groholski, thank you so much for your time. I really enjoy talking with you.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me on. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Very welcome. We get back. We're going to talk about what's called the Great detachment. Seventy nine percent of employees are disengaged at work. Going to talk with Dennis Holland, an expert on employee engagement. Right after the break here on Nightside.
Speaker 3: You're on Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm WAZ Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 1: Some of us have heard the phrase the Great detachment. The Great detachment is not about some couple of railroad cards being separated. No, no, no, no. The seventy nine percent of employees are disengaged at work. We're going to talk with Dennis Holland, he's an expert on employee engagement. Sounds to me, Dennis, like you're working in a field that is diminishing. Even as we say.
Speaker 6: Oh, well, thanks for having me on DAN.
Speaker 1: You talk about a talk about a growth industry, I don't know what the opposite of that is. So look, what is this based on. This is based on some sort of a big survey that was done by a group called My Perfect Resume. I'm still looking for my perfect resume. If you find it, let me know, will you.
Speaker 6: I will, I'm looking for mine too. But yes, it is based on a survey, and the fact that seventy nine percent of employees are disengaged only becomes really interesting with the next statistic in that survey, and it says that seventy six percent of employees say they're manager's engagement affects their own. So it's the connection between the employee and the manager that really matters here. That's the story. Because companies have been focusing on engagement DAN for more than a decade. So if we've been spending this much time on it, why is it at record highs? And the answer is simple, Well, we think it's simple. It's because we're focusing on the wrong thing. Engagement is just a symptom of a bigger problem. Employee turnover is a symptom of a bigger problem. And when large research houses like Gallup come out and tell us that more than fifty percent of employees say they first of all disengage and second of all leave a company because of their boss, their relationship with their boss. What we're dealing with here is not disengagement. It's a crisis of connection in the workplace. Does that make me believe me?
Speaker 1: I believe me. I understand what you're saying, and I realize that when you break this down according to this study, categorize some characteristics. They say the lack of motivation is the result of I guess thirty three percent of the people say that it's low pay. Another group say that primary source of apathy, followed by misalignment and values. Not exactly sure what that means. That's kind of a broad but then unclear expectations. I get it. Let me tell you, I've worked in my career in this business for many and it's a great business to work in. I worked in television and radio and now work in radio for eighteen years, television of a third one years before that. And the best bosses are the ones who know, you know, set out some clear expectations. What they expect, they share your values, pay, is always the lowest of the motivation as far as I'm concerned. And the other thing that is interesting that I have seen only in my career, maybe other careers, but human resource individuals are disappearing, you know, faster than the midwinter snow. I don't know what have they ever done a survey as to what sort what percentage of companies have to actually have a human resources person on the ground as opposed to being somewhere, you know, one hundred miles away or halfway across the country.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's that would be a great survey to have, is what is the support group for employees and that that is able to help make those connections. And so you said, I'm the expert. You sound like an incredible expert on it. And the biggest challenge right now, though, Dan, is that we're working in this extremely complex environment. In any team, there's a possibility there's five generations of people of individuals working in a team. Some of those people are working from home, some of those people are working from their office, some of them do both. We've got team members who are halfway across the globe, different cultures, different languages, different values. We don't know how to bring people together anymore. We've got this huge macroeconomic trend of disconnection from a personal standpoint entirely, but isolation too. And so when you've got when you're a leader in an organization and you're d with this tremendous complexity, what's happening is people don't even know how to talk to each other anymore. They don't understand how to give somebody expectations, how to talk to them about you're doing a great job, I appreciate you, and you're bringing such great value to the company, or I need you to I need to really work with you to help you grow in this area. We don't have those skills anymore because we are also spread apart. The work situation, not to mention every all the economic factors happening, is becoming extremely complex. We have to find a way to bring people together better in the workplace because dan as human beings, we were born hardwired for the need for human connection. We all need to be connected and our friends, our spouses and partners, but we spend a third of our life at work. How can we effectively run organizations when people are disconnected from one another and they have no basis for building that connection. That's why people are disengaged because they're checking out. They're not seeing by anybody, they're not heard by anybody, and they just they just resign while they're still in their chairs. And that's what's happening to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the That is the concept of detachment, what I think is so important. And I have seen this in myself with my own eyes. That you work in a building, and I've worked in plenty of buildings, and the people come in at night to clean the buildings, and a lot of my colleagues would never even say hello to those people. It would not even almost acknowledge their existence. And I like to talk to the to the cleaning crew and say, hey, how you doing. What's your name, just to find out what because they're the people who cleaned the who cleaned the restrooms, They're the people who moped the floors and all of that. And when I was in college one year that I cleaned bathrooms one summer and I was twenty years old, and no one would look at me, and I never forgot how I felt walking around. I felt like Bill Murray and Caddyshack actually, and people, people need to have that connection no matter what they is. Oh, when the boss walks in the room, everybody jumps up and says, oh, hi, mister Jones, how are you today? Nice? And so you mister Jones, don't you look lovely today? And that person you know is the biggest phony in the company, but they ignored you are I can write a book, I'm telling you, maybe I will sell.
Speaker 6: Well you should. Let's collaborate on it, because welcome we might you know, take that, Take that metaphor or that analogy. I'm sorry, I'm a little bit late. He take that further and think about the fact that sometimes uh employees, your your your peers who are on the team. Maybe they only show up into the office two days a week because they're hybrid, or maybe they sit on a zoom call. It's that same effect of well, I don't really see you very often, and I don't really know who you are. It's the same thing. It's why people don't talk to the to the cleaning crew.
Speaker 1: It and I. They don't know this. Dennis. Let me, we're running out of time, but let's do this. Maybe I can have you back at some point in the next couple of weeks and we'll do an hour on it, and we'll give people a chance to complain anonymously about the companies they work for and tell us we can we can run our own little survey. Would you be up for that?
Speaker 6: I would I would be so up for that. That would be would you.
Speaker 1: For an hour? And we'll take phone calls. I'll have that. We'll make this happen, Dennis, I really enjoyed it. I think we can't connected here, buddy, Okay, Dennis an expert our employee engagement. Thank you so much. We'll get you back, I promise. Thanks Dennis. Good night. All right, nine o'clock there's the weights. I want to talk about that that truck trailer truck MBTA crash in Canton and how it could have been avoided yesterday back after this