Speaker 1: You're listening to KPI AM six forty the Bill Handles show on demand on the iheartradiop.
Speaker 2: And now handle on the news. Ladies and gentlemen, here's Bill Handle. Okay, where was I?
Speaker 1: As I was saying last time we spoke, I had just gone around the corner and they're right in the middle of the street. Don't you remember that conversation? Morning, everybody.
Speaker 2: Fall back.
Speaker 1: And with a cliffhanger, yeah, I know, I know, and we'll be back right after this, So you know, here I am. It'll take me exactly, I don't know, another forty seconds before it's as if I've never been gone. You ever noticed that you go on vacation and you anticipate, anticipate over my oh boy, it's gonna happen fine here, and then when you get back ten seconds into it, it's as if you've.
Speaker 2: Never been gone.
Speaker 3: Was this your longest vacation?
Speaker 2: No, no, no, I've taken longer ones.
Speaker 3: This was This was three weeks.
Speaker 2: It was almost three weeks, not quite three weeks. But then I also got married in the middle of this thing.
Speaker 1: So I mean, was it a vacation, I guess, so it was a vacation. Slash marriage, slash honeymoon slash get out of dodge.
Speaker 4: It took me a while to convince you that honeymoon doesn't mean dropping trow.
Speaker 2: That's a good point. That's a good point. We had a lot of talk about.
Speaker 1: First of all, let me say hello to everyone who I've been working with so many years.
Speaker 5: Amy, Good morning, Hi Bill, welcome back.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 1: So the wiggle waggle Google bugle walk went okay.
Speaker 6: It went happy looks Yeah, it was great. It was great. Lots and lots of people turned out. A ton of people joined the wake up called Wigglers. We raised lots of money and it was it was a good time. You should put your dog out next year.
Speaker 2: Well my dog was in doggy training.
Speaker 1: Maybe I will, you know, because now it's uh yeah, yeah, I think I will.
Speaker 2: I did give money, didn't I did? I donate? I think I did.
Speaker 5: I don't think you did.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, don't do that to me. If you think, let me tell you.
Speaker 1: If you think you're going to shame me into giving money that I have already given, boy, you're paying that one back.
Speaker 5: I don't think you did.
Speaker 2: I think I did.
Speaker 5: I always just I thank everybody who donated and I'll.
Speaker 2: Look at it.
Speaker 5: I didn't see your name.
Speaker 2: Anybody bring a dead dog? No, you know that. Just a quick story about that i'd share with you.
Speaker 1: We used to have Rich Marauda on the show. I think this is before you even came aboard. Rich was a sports guy for many, many years here on the morning show. He was with us for twenty something years. Anyway, he had a dog, Henry, this little puff.
Speaker 2: Ball of a dog.
Speaker 1: You know those little, tiny, puffy white dogs that looked like a gay guy's carpet slippers, you know those and the Anyway, he loved that dog. I mean, he loved just beyondwards. And so when Henry died, he was so distraught. I mean he could barely move. I mean there's no question how upset Rich was. So I called him up a few weeks later, and this was off the air, and I was talking to him and I said, so, how's it going. And he had to excuse himself. He goes, Bill, excuse me, it's time for my walk with Henry. And I'm thinking, wait a minute. Henry died a couple of months ago.
Speaker 2: And to give you an idea how sick Rich was or is, Rich would take the box.
Speaker 1: That Henry's ashes were in, and he would walk around the golf course with it. Because he lived up in Reno, still does. He took Henry out for a walk every day. I thought i'd share that with you in any case. You yeah, good, good morning, Neil, Good morning, Willie Wolf, thank you. And Neil was there at the wedding. I'm going to talk about that in the moment. By the way, I'm going to be bringing my new bride. She's going to say, come on at eight o'clock, say hello. I thought introduce her and she can say hello, and you too can also appreciate how nut she is. And Neil was there as my best man.
Speaker 5: Ann good morning, good morning, Bill, welcome back.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, good morning, good morning, good morning. Will are you there?
Speaker 5: Will is not here today?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 6: Now you know what he's flying over an arena in San Antonio today?
Speaker 5: Why because he is.
Speaker 6: He has a side hustle, and one of the things he does is he goes around the country and you know those aerial views of like football games and basketball arenas and stuff. He's up there flying around recording those. Oh or no, not even recording him, but they do live shots of him.
Speaker 5: And they have no idea.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: And the only reason I ask if if Will is even there or not, because Will I'm at home broadcasting this morning, and I'm watching everybody on Zoom, viewing everybody on Zoom, and he sometimes he's on, sometimes he's not.
Speaker 4: Okay, person on your morning show, by the way, that doesn't have a second job except.
Speaker 1: You, Uh well, I have plenty of second jobs. Come on, how about this. How about Handle on the Law second job? How about Handle on the law dot com second job? How about being involved with Zelman's second job. How about the import business with Platinum cookwear, with Savile second job.
Speaker 3: Those aren't real jobs.
Speaker 4: That's really people jobs where you just give money and and you just say someone else run it.
Speaker 3: We do. We do poor people jobs, huh, where we have to be there.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 1: No, I have okay, fair enough anyway, I just want to do a quick I want to tell you a quick story before we go on, and we talk more with Lindsay coming to board at eight o'clock. And then there's video of the wedding out there. It's going to at Bill Handle show. It's really some fun stuff. It was Oh my god, it was a handle ass wedding.
Speaker 2: It really was.
Speaker 3: Job does not cover it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, great fund. So you can go to the website, or you can go to the you can log and the instagram at bill handle show. Now a couple of things about the medical world out there, all right, you know how I bitch and moan about the American medical system and how our entire medical system is broken.
Speaker 2: So Lindsay got pretty ill.
Speaker 1: She is, she's asthmatic, and she had and tack and needed to go to the er, and so like this is in Palermo, Sicily. By the way, if you ever have a chance to go to Sicily, don't. It's not the most fun place. It's not very clean, it's old, it's poor. They don't know, they don't know how a road works without potholes, and they've never understood that in any case. So we go to the er because she had to be treated with this nebulizer, you know, the breathing apperatics oxygen with medicine in it that coats her lungs and expands her lungs. So we go to the er and it is a thirty second wait, thirty seconds, walk in the door, immediately put her in the triage areas what they call the the emergency room and the blood pressure they run an IV. Now, the hospital is old, the equipment is world class.
Speaker 2: It's as good as it yets.
Speaker 1: And they give the treatment to her, and she was all stuck up, and the doctor said, you need an NT, you need a specialist, and usually you have to wait for hours. She goes, takes the elevator upstairs. There's the NT waiting for her. They put the scope in her face, looks around. Uh huh, that's what you have, writes a prescription for a pile of medication. I go to the drug store. I pick it up in out drug store. All of that about an hour and fifteen. And then on the way out, I say, okay, so where do I pay? And they looked at me like I was from another planet. They go, what do you mean where do you pay?
Speaker 2: You don't pay?
Speaker 1: You know, this is free medicine, this is national medicine. I said, but you don't understand. I don't live here. I'm aturrest, so of course I'm going to pay. They go, we don't have a mechanism for you to pay. We can't collect money if we wanted to. There is no mechanism this is national medicine, nationalized medicine. I went, okay, and everybody bitches him is how terrible it is over there. I gotta tell you, you know, I know people think it's not so great, but I was pretty impressed.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: She got sick, pretty pretty.
Speaker 1: She did get sick. A lot of people got a lot of sick. Yeah, well that's a given. But a lot of people got sick. You got sick, Tracy got sick. Jim Keeney got sick.
Speaker 3: At the end I talk, yeah.
Speaker 4: A lot of people were sick. All right, guys, let's go ye uh yeah. I know you just got married. But my lemonlaw Lawyer dot com. If she's still sick, my lemonlaw Lawyer dot com, you might have gotten a dud.
Speaker 2: Huh. Let me think that one through.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's very she keeps if you got to keep taking her back and forth.
Speaker 2: I know, I get it. No, I got no, I got it.
Speaker 1: I'm just trying to figure out and realize how clever that was.
Speaker 3: And I'm super clever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm reaching for that one.
Speaker 3: I've forgotten how clever I am.
Speaker 1: All right, handle here on a Monday morning, it is the seventh day of April. Okay, before I get into what's going on with the market, and we're expecting the markets to explode today again downwards, coming off of going to Europe Italy where I just got married. As you're gonna be introduced to Lindsay coming up at eight o'clock, I'm gonna have her say hello to us. And she is pretty liberal. I mean, she is pretty out there liberal, and so obviously she's not a huge fan of what's going on in this country. But it's really interesting as we went through Italy and people would ask, oh, are you American?
Speaker 2: And what her response was.
Speaker 1: Lindsay's response was, instead of saying yeah, and then the conversation goes, where are you from Los Angeles and on and on, she started with.
Speaker 2: I didn't vote for him. I want you to know right now, I didn't vote for him.
Speaker 1: And so that started the conversation. And here was the response that we got back. And this is not a value judgment, because I'm going to talk a little bit about the markets obviously in the next few minutes and what's going on, and it's not nearly as black and.
Speaker 2: White as people portray this on either side, but I will tell you.
Speaker 1: What I experienced over there is people don't get it. They do not understand what is going on here. They just don't understand Donald Trump, and they don't understand who he is.
Speaker 2: Well, I think they do for the most part. I mean, he's pretty transparent.
Speaker 1: But they don't understand what we are about bringing him to office. They get none of the nuances as to why he was able to connect in many ways the Republicans the Democrats were not, how the Democrats missed the boat, how our philosophy is, how the DEI and the political correctness was overdone by the Democrats, on and on.
Speaker 3: They miss all of that.
Speaker 2: All they know is.
Speaker 1: We don't understand what you guys are doing. We don't understand him, what is happening. They are flummixed about this. So let me then dive into what is going to happen today, and it's going to be happening, and then I'm going to give you a little bit of history here, because I think we have to take all of this in historical context. We know that Donald Trump's primary reason for these tariffs is simple fairness reciprocity. When he says, the other countries of the world make it very difficult for US to sell products in their countries, and we make it very easy for them to sell products in our countries. And that's done by way of tariffs. That's absolutely true. We sell far less into Canada.
Speaker 2: For example, than they sell to us.
Speaker 1: They make it more difficult for us to sell there than we do for them to sell here.
Speaker 2: That's a given.
Speaker 1: And what Trump is saying is this is simply a question of fairness. That's a little more complicated than that, obviously, but it's a basic reciprocity.
Speaker 2: It's that simple. It's very biblical.
Speaker 1: Do onto others as you would wish they would do onto you.
Speaker 2: Okay, you charge.
Speaker 1: Us twenty four percent tariffs, We're going to charge you twenty four percent tariffs.
Speaker 2: You're going to make it difficult. We're going to make it difficult.
Speaker 1: The problem is the United States is such a huge juggernaut. It buys so much from the industrialized world, even the non industrialized world.
Speaker 2: Actually, relatively speaking, it's even.
Speaker 1: More important to the undeveloped countries that for this to happen, royals the markets, and it has.
Speaker 2: And it does.
Speaker 1: We are looking at once again. If it pans out today, there'll be another huge sell off today, there will be another major decrease of the stock market.
Speaker 2: We think it's happened already.
Speaker 1: Overseas in Asia, the stock markets have just tanked. You've got Japan I went down like eight nine percent, Hong Kong, just all of the indexes. You've got Europe that's been affected deeply. I mean, this is a roller coaster ride in a way. I think what it does is augment the argument that the United States really is.
Speaker 2: The economic juggernaut, is the it is the.
Speaker 1: Not only just the movement, it is the engine of the economic world. And man, I've heard you've heard the phrase that when a president sneezes, the world catches a cold.
Speaker 2: Oh man, does this prove the point?
Speaker 1: And so what I want to do is come back a little bit and try to dive into this because in a major basic way, is Trump right in all fairness? Probably his position is, Hey, you know what, let's make it an open system.
Speaker 2: Let's be fair. Are tariffs and is the system now fair? It is not.
Speaker 1: It really isn't go to China and try to buy a Buick. Try to buy a Ford in China. Go to Europe. You don't see American cars there. See lots of Japanese cars. You see French cars, of course, you see German cars, you see Italian cars, and they slide right off the road for some reason that you just can't stay on the road. I never understood why. All right, we're going to come back, and I'm going to go. Thank you for laughing, Kno, no one else does in the morning.
Speaker 2: All right, where did I come back?
Speaker 4: Rees joke or something completely one hundred percent?
Speaker 3: I drove a hoogo and really.
Speaker 1: A poogo, and then we got we're gonna talk about measles coming up too. Oh there's a story too about the measles. It's got a lot to cover today, for sure, and we're right back in the saddle.
Speaker 2: Oh by the way, Neil, thank you for filling in.
Speaker 1: I know you filled in for a week, and I'm getting the reports that it was that you did an extraordinarily mediocre job, and I'm very pleased to have that.
Speaker 4: I focus on hitting low with the hopes of hitting medium.
Speaker 3: Actually, people's response was fantastic.
Speaker 4: They were very lovely people who could hear yeah, oh yeah, okay, all right.
Speaker 1: Handle on the news with Amy Neil me lead story. It is free falling over the weekend yesterday in Asia the stock markets.
Speaker 2: The index is just tanked right now.
Speaker 1: The market opened up eight minutes ago and it is down. The market is down another almost four percent at this point, thirteen hundred points.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's up to fourteen hundred fourteen points.
Speaker 2: Now fourteen hundred points now going down and we'll.
Speaker 1: See this this is beyond correction.
Speaker 2: They think. We don't know at this point. We'll see if there's going to be a reverse.
Speaker 1: Even when the big crash happened, the Great Depression started, there was Black Tuesday, and then it came back again a day later, two days later, went up and then it tanked. So even within those so we'll see if this goes up again or this is just an initial call.
Speaker 2: I think it's not.
Speaker 1: But a lot of it has to do with the tariffs, which obviously I'm going to talk about a whole lot more about what's happening because it's not that complicated.
Speaker 2: But let's move on. There's other news.
Speaker 6: Forget about me too. Now there's hands off. Almost ten thousand protesters showed up at Pershing Square over the week, a marching through the streets of downtown LA.
Speaker 5: The crowd stretched across several blocks.
Speaker 6: It was part of nationwide hands off protests against the Trump administration's cuts in federal programs, mass layoffs, and terrifikes that have, as Bill just mentioned, sent financial markets reeling.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which is going on right now to say the least, All right, while things dive on Wall Street rivers rise, rivers are rising and flooding worsening just yesterday across the US South and Midwest, threatening communities that have already been smacked around and damaged by days and days of heavy rain. Also, the wind killed at least eighteen people. The river's depths have risen above forty seven feet in some areas, and they expect to continue to go up.
Speaker 1: How many once in a generation, once in a lifetime, once every thousand year.
Speaker 2: Storms have we had the last year.
Speaker 5: Twenty?
Speaker 1: Yeah, precisely. It's getting built dark. Yeah, I know it's getting really tough. It is getting very very tough with the climate change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, it doesn't exist. It's gonna be a tough place to live this world.
Speaker 1: You know, I do not envy my kids or my grandkids in terms of what's going to happen with the weather.
Speaker 6: College kids kicked out so UCLA's chancellor, Julio Frank, said yesterday that six current students and six former students who are participating in a training program have had their visas terminated by the US government. UCLA is saying the termination notices indicate that all were due to violations of the terms of the individual's visa programs. President Trump did issue an executive order in January three to revoke visas of students who participated in pro Palestinian protests last spring. UCLA was the site of some of those demonstrations. Across the country, three hundred student visas have been terminated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now these are.
Speaker 1: The small numbers, and we're talking about maybe what half a dozen that happened over the weekend or a dozen.
Speaker 6: It's a few dozen around California, Like, yeah, it's twelve Ucla, but then also some at Stanford and Berkeley.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we're talking small numbers.
Speaker 1: But the important part is is that the schools have no idea why the government is sharing the reason why. It's just simply saying there was violation of the terms of their staying here, and it's just an ongoing philosophy.
Speaker 2: Also, keep in mind.
Speaker 1: That anybody who is pro Palestinian and I put that in quotes or backs up hamas you would think. Hey, first amendment, I mean, you have the right to talk about who you're a four or who you're against all day long. Well not if the government has declared a certain organization as they a terrorist organization, and therefore backing up that terrorist organization you are threat to national security. I mean this has gone pretty far, to say the least. Tell me this isn't going to be a court battle or two by the time this is over all. Right, let's do one more and then we will take a break and then finish it up.
Speaker 3: Israel, what are you doing?
Speaker 4: Israel's military has backtracked on its account of the killing of fifteen Palestinian medics in Gaza last month. There was footage that contradicted their claims that their vehicles did not have emergency signals on with Israeli troops open fire. Now there is video that shows that the contrary. They say that their account was mistaken.
Speaker 2: Yeah, mistaken. Israel said, we're investigating.
Speaker 1: And have you ever heard an outcome of any of these investigations.
Speaker 2: I haven't.
Speaker 1: We're going to do more about this at eight twenty and it is. It's got the point now where there is a rush to infamy by Hamas and or Netanyahu.
Speaker 2: We'll see you crosses that finish line. First. Both are now way.
Speaker 1: Into crimes against humanity and it is very, very tough to deal with it. There are no good or bad guys anymore. Even as biased as I am on this, you reach your point. As Neil just pointed out, Come on, guys. You know where does this stop? And unfortunately it doesn't, not for the foreseeable future.
Speaker 6: The administration says, sorry, nothing we can do. The US Justice Department told an appeals court on Saturday that a judge didn't have the authority to order the Trump administration to bring back the guy from Maryland who was mistakenly sent to a prison in El Salvador during an ice raid. Twenty nine year old Abrego Garcia was arrested in Maryland deported last month, despite an immigration judge's ruling in twenty nineteen to protect him from deportation to L Salvador because they said, you might be MS thirteen, you might have ties to that, but you also are likely in at risk if you go back there because of local games. But now Trump says, oh, we don't have the authority. We can't bring him back. There's nothing we can do.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: He's saying the judge doesn't have the authority.
Speaker 5: He's saying the Trump administration can't bring him back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 5: Judge can't order it, right, they can't do it well.
Speaker 1: The point, the legal point is is that the judge, just part of the judiciary, can't get in the way of their rulings or determinations what they're going to do when it comes to foreign policy.
Speaker 2: And they admitted they made a mistake. By the way.
Speaker 1: Trump administration said, oh yeah, we blew it. Okay, let's move on.
Speaker 3: It's does the guy have ties or no?
Speaker 2: Trump administration says yes, and the.
Speaker 5: Judge said back in twenty nineteen, you might you might have.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: But they're saying because.
Speaker 6: He requested asylum, and the judge basically said, we're going to grant you.
Speaker 1: There's two separate issues here, and they're not mutually exclusive. One, he could be a member of MS thirteen, and two he was able to prove to an immigration judge that if he were to be sent back, his life would be at huge risk. That's one of the basis for asylum. That if you send me back or if I'm going back, I'm going to die, or my family's going to die, or I'm going.
Speaker 2: To be persecuted, prosecuted.
Speaker 1: I have no idea what's going to happen, But it doesn't even matter because I think and that's another topic we're going to talk about. The administration now taking powers that no administration ever has, arguing for executive powers like it's never happened before, and Congress is jumping all over itself to give this president unbridled powers that well, no other president has ever had. And so we'll see how far that goes.
Speaker 4: The International Criminal Court sent a request to the Hungarian government to arrest and surrender Prime Minister Benjamin Net Yahoo to its detention center in the Hague due to the arrest warn't issued against him by the court last year. It's said that Prime Minister net and Yahoo went out and bought boots so he could shaken them.
Speaker 2: Ah.
Speaker 1: The International Criminal Court is kind of interesting, you know, the United States is not a member of it, refuses to be never signed signed on. Why Because the International Criminal Court has nailed the US and US presidents for war crimes since the day it was created and they are now naming netsan Yahoo. But it's they're not going to arrest anybody. Matter of fact, Hungary is now bailing out saying, you know, we're not interested. Very political, very very political to say the least.
Speaker 6: Well, we wiggled and waggled our way to three hundred and fifty eight thousand dollars for Pasadena Humane. The Big Wiggle Waggle Walk and Run was held yesterday at the Rose Bowl. We had the wake up called Wigglers. Our team beat its goal. We had like fifty people sign up and come and walk and Bill. We had several people ask how you're doing, if you're happy and when are you coming back today?
Speaker 2: Sorta I'll tell you later on the happy level. Okay, all right.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 6: Anyway, it was a great day for Wiggle Waggle Walk. Thanks to everybody who donated, so so appreciated. We had over two thousand people and their pets out there walking yes day.
Speaker 2: That's cool, Yes, that's serious.
Speaker 5: Pasadena Humane's biggest fundraiser of the year.
Speaker 1: Right And I always asked the same question, were there any cadaver dogs they're demonstrating, And of course cadaver dogs. They just grab a dog on a leash. It's dead and you just drag it along and there's your cadaver dog.
Speaker 6: No, but there were some dogs that were kind of being drug along. It was really funny to watch.
Speaker 2: Alright, well, I think we have one more Neil all right.
Speaker 4: US Health in Cuban Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Junior visited the epicenter of the Texas measles outbreak that's still growing. Sadly, it was the same day a funeral was held for a second young child who was not vaccinated and died from a measles related illness.
Speaker 1: Yeah, A couple of things about this one court Robert Kennedy, of all the people who are going to solace a family who lost a kid because of measles, mister anti vaccine, although he's been pushing back from that. And the reason Texas is such an epicenter is because there's the Mennonite community there in Texas that do not vaccinate their kids.
Speaker 2: These are not anti vaxers per se.
Speaker 1: It's simply the Mennonite community that's not interested in getting.
Speaker 2: Involved in with modern society.
Speaker 1: Now, Robert Kennedy, I mean, come on, guys, and I think what was this quote I think he said. And you know, in terms of measles, will at least your kids are going to be able to go to Halloween parties as pepperoni pizzas.
Speaker 2: All right, we are done?
Speaker 3: Why Neil seeing this?
Speaker 2: Wow? You know the spots on there?
Speaker 3: No, No, we got it.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, I think you got it right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we just haven't had it for a while. Okay, like the measles itself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you thought it had been eradicated, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I thought you'd been eradicated. We had hope.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Nope, comes back like a bad virus, comes back like the measles.
Speaker 1: This is KFI A M sixty. You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show. Catch my show Monday through Friday, six am to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.