Speaker 1: Presenting Orson Wells as the Third Man. The Lives of Harry Lyme, the fabulous stories of the immortal character originally created in the motion picture The Third Man with zither music by Anton kra.
Speaker 2: That was the shot that killed Harry Lyme.
Speaker 3: He died in a sewer beneath the nascuse of.
Speaker 2: You know who saw the movies The Third Man. Yes, that was the end of.
Speaker 3: Herry life, but it was not the beginning.
Speaker 2: Now, he had many lives.
Speaker 3: But I can tell you about all of them.
Speaker 2: How do I know? Because my name is Harryline Fella. I know once told me I was a poet that he was so wrong.
Speaker 3: Poets are always singing about daffodils and brooks and skylights and the women they're faithful.
Speaker 2: To in their fashion.
Speaker 3: I sort of metri with her, was I if I sang at all, would sing about money and the women. I'd know, But in an offbeat rhythm, money and women and how they go together, and either is much use without the other, as he's that's the stuff that Harry Lyone sings about. Those are the themes to which he dances in Life's ballet. Sometimes pleasant, occasionally a little painful, like that time in Tehran and now orson wells as Harry.
Speaker 4: Lyon, the third man in every.
Speaker 2: Frame has a silver lining. It was in Tehrana, was some years ago.
Speaker 3: I had just come there, and I was pretty sure that in the country, with all that oil and all that intrigue, with so many people playing the game of empire building and empire busting, I could promote something that suited my special talents. I was walking on the street when I heard some shouting. A small frightened man out of dress and frantic things wheeling around the corner and.
Speaker 1: Piled into me head on, Hey, hey there, what's the where's the fight there?
Speaker 5: Now?
Speaker 2: For my way?
Speaker 3: They're not so fast, papas, papas.
Speaker 2: Don't you recognize me?
Speaker 3: How lie right?
Speaker 6: It was after you, the devil? The police are chasing me. Heah, take this okay, what is it? Fifty thousand dollars worth of popular what's that few opium? Fifty thousand dollars worth?
Speaker 3: Take your Tell them what am I.
Speaker 5: Going to do with it?
Speaker 6: Then if they catch me, they'll have to let me go to night at seven point thirty, bring it to the examplete my principles will be there.
Speaker 3: And we'll cut you in Okay, I'm where they beat it now, that's down this alley.
Speaker 7: Thank you had it foll night.
Speaker 6: That's seven plus a night at seven thirty.
Speaker 5: Are you hey? You just a minute.
Speaker 3: You're the police, aren't you?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 3: Are you chasing the little man who ran around the corner here, the one in the dirty white sealed terre you time he went down that alley?
Speaker 5: Come?
Speaker 3: I wait until the police disappeared, and then I did some running on my own account to my hotel. I repacked my bag, making start to conceal among my handkerchiefs, and shure, it's the package my friend pompos has been so kind as to give me.
Speaker 2: Then hello, would ask mister.
Speaker 3: Lime from one one, two three on a reservation of the two o'clock train for Paris. Yes, yes, I I know, I know, I've just arrived, but I'm I'm leaving now. I was now the sole owner of fifty thousand I was worth of Opio in Paris. I could protect myself to some extent because of connections and the other problem I was hard to smuggled into America.
Speaker 2: When I knew I'd be able to get.
Speaker 3: The best price for it in Paris, I set about to find some likely tourists into its luggage and able to put my package. It took me three days to find my American, very lovely looking American outside a cafe, A lovely, fresh, unspoiled girl sat watching the parisiancy. Some men would merely have looked at their hunger until the cafe closed. Not really, Hello, do.
Speaker 8: I know you?
Speaker 3: My name is Harryline. I don't know your I just introduced myself.
Speaker 8: Perhaps I should warn you that I'm waiting for my parents.
Speaker 3: Oh good, fine, Uh, very much like to meet your parents, aren't you.
Speaker 4: You don't really believe that, you don't.
Speaker 3: A man can see a girl and know that this is the good one I've always thought must be somewhere on earth, the one I've never met, always wanted to meet. But he doesn't speak, and she goes away and he never sees her again. So is it rudeness if he speaks to her? Is it wisdom?
Speaker 8: You're very bold?
Speaker 2: I hope I'm also convincing. I very much wonder me, And I said, don.
Speaker 8: M well, since my parents are coming, thank you?
Speaker 2: Hum better now?
Speaker 4: Maybe I ought to know your.
Speaker 8: Name, Helen?
Speaker 3: Both, how do you do American of course, I'm from New York, but you're not.
Speaker 8: How can you tell?
Speaker 3: Because you're unself conscious, because you're direct and simple and best sense of that word, you're you're I'm from a large city, but you're not a farm girl either. From a small city, probably the Midwest, right.
Speaker 8: I'm from Youngstown. You see, you're very clever.
Speaker 3: Oh, I'm interested in this one, so interested that I can't be satisfied with anything less than a close and complete study of you.
Speaker 8: Will you make me sound like a picture in the louver?
Speaker 2: You're much too natural for that. I hope you're going to be in Fantis for a one.
Speaker 8: Well, we're leaving in about a week.
Speaker 3: I think it doesn't give you much time. Tell me your parents, do you hear any minute?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 8: I'm supposed to meet them here in an hour, but I didn't know where else to go.
Speaker 3: Good, have an hour, at least an hour for me to show your parents. Come on, well, really, let's make it more than an hour. That's even no for them. We can meet them later to try to tell, and I'll take you all to dinner.
Speaker 8: Goodness, you're so sudden, so bright.
Speaker 2: I have much time, you you know, only a week pass.
Speaker 4: All who went to the garden of the cleaners.
Speaker 3: So I was tempted to see whether I could leading this girl away from her parents the whole evening, and for once acted the perfect gentleman. Refinement is not among many skills boring, but useful in my trade. This girl and her Midwestern parents were perfect to smother the opium into the us for me, so I questioned. It was real interest about herself and to her family.
Speaker 8: My brother Jack was killed in the Lord. We came over here to see his grave.
Speaker 2: I was very solicitous.
Speaker 3: I knew that Americans are always happy to meet compatriots have brought all Americans, but I there isn't this time even I was delighted and took her back to a hotel, met her parents, took them all to dinner.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, mister Lamia. If there's no place like Youngstown, isn't that right? Mother?
Speaker 8: It's a nice town. I mean, it's nice.
Speaker 3: And you, Helen, you like your hometown too? Why or she does?
Speaker 7: Why shouldn't she?
Speaker 9: She was born mer Oh, Jaddy, that's no reason for liking the place. I do like it, for Helms had some of the nicest times back home. Mister Lime I mean, she's really enjoyed herself with the young folks.
Speaker 3: Know what I mean, Hey, I'm getting jealous.
Speaker 7: You come to Youngstown, mister Lyme, We'll be sure you what living can be.
Speaker 8: I mean the real folks, mister Lyon.
Speaker 3: They were perfect for my guy, real homespun boos who wouldn't suspect I'd planned anything in their luggage and would not be suspected by customers officials, and knew after five minutes that I had the answer to my problem. After dinner, they took me back to the hotel suite, and here, in a city full of the greatest art treasures in the world, I was made to exclaim over the family photograph albums that they brought from Youngstown.
Speaker 10: This picture was taking to the picnic role, mister lad See dad and his white flannel.
Speaker 7: See who are my high scream fans that day?
Speaker 2: This picture doesn't do justice to.
Speaker 8: Helen Well, you're making fun at all.
Speaker 7: I'm not making it easy to see rich member of the family of this young feathers interested in and.
Speaker 2: Now you're embarrassing me.
Speaker 11: Oh, personally, I think it would be impossible to embarrass you.
Speaker 2: Mister call me Harry, won't you, Helen, that's.
Speaker 8: An example of what I mean. Oh, mister Lime, here here's a picture of our poor dead boy.
Speaker 3: Oh things are fine looking boring because it's a wonderful picture. I'm judy frame.
Speaker 7: Read would look nice and a friend, wouldn't I.
Speaker 2: Sure would, And maybe I could get one for you. Why not?
Speaker 3: I know where I can get a beauty and overhear things don't cost like to do in the States, so we don't have to settle that now doing right now, all I'd like to do is.
Speaker 2: To have you all agree to be my guests on a tour of the city tomorrow.
Speaker 3: I'd like that person rate and one other thing, with your permission, and with Helen's consent. Of course, I'd like to take Helen to the followdays.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right now, that's up to Helen.
Speaker 8: Oh, I'd like it's very much.
Speaker 3: That's great, let's go in two or three days. I was in solid with the family, and so the day before they were to leave for Sherbury to take the boat for New York, I felt I could move in with my presence with a silver frame, good size, when a thick one, a hollow one for the boy's picture. My room. I opened a little package I received from Papas and concealed its contents.
Speaker 2: In the hollow of the frame. Then I visited the Bold family in the suite.
Speaker 7: Wow, this is a wonderful present.
Speaker 5: Line.
Speaker 2: I'm glad you like it.
Speaker 8: Oh, thank you, Harry. It's such a beautiful thing.
Speaker 10: You've done this so we can have Jack's picture on the piano back home. I mean, it's the nicest thing that's happened on the whole.
Speaker 2: Well, believe me, it's my pleasure.
Speaker 8: See how the picture fits, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Nice?
Speaker 4: One?
Speaker 3: And now, one time you leave for Sherburg, I've been thinking I'd like to go with you if I name no, no, no, no.
Speaker 7: There's no names.
Speaker 8: You'll be seeing us in Youngstown when you come back to America.
Speaker 5: Harry.
Speaker 8: Of course, we don't want to put you out.
Speaker 3: You'd rather stay in pass my dear people. I'd rather not stay in for us. I'd rather do with you. I want to wave goodbye to you.
Speaker 2: As you sail.
Speaker 7: Wow, it's very nice, Harry.
Speaker 11: But I insist, well, oh, mother, I think if he insists, well, that is a compliment to us. If Harry insane and I do, then we've got to let him come.
Speaker 8: Don't you see that? Don't you agree? Father?
Speaker 7: I guess I do? Okay, young cler Gee, Thanks.
Speaker 5: Orson Wells returns in just a moment as the third man.
Speaker 2: Orson Welles.
Speaker 1: As the third man continues with every frame has a silver lining.
Speaker 3: I wanted to go to Sherbury, so I have to tell you, because I I never believed in leaving anything a chance. I had to know which suitcase the picture of the silver frame got packed, and I was determined to put them on the boat.
Speaker 2: So I went to Sherby the night before they were to sail, I walked with Helen done by the woods.
Speaker 8: So still to me, m.
Speaker 3: The night is holding its breath for its form or last night. Yes, and last night it is sad, of course, but there is something beautiful about it too, isn't it.
Speaker 8: That there's always something beautiful about side?
Speaker 2: Yes, Helen, I'd like to make believe tonight. I'd like to pretend that this is the end.
Speaker 8: Well, we're never gonna see each other, agare mm could be.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't mean it.
Speaker 3: But even though I'd soon come to you in Youngstown, even though we might soon be married, I wanna say goodbye to you tonight. The way a man says goodbye to a girl he loves who we'll never see again.
Speaker 8: I know how you feel. I feel that way too, Harry Darling, look at me. Yes, oh, just mmm.
Speaker 3: I delivered to finding the hands of her parents, and before we had a nightcap together, I helped him pack, helped to put the frame i'd bought them in the opium. They didn't know about to a certain suitcase. So when I put them on a boat and I take the plane to.
Speaker 2: America, before they arrived, i'd have certain friends of mine ready.
Speaker 3: To hijack that suitcase as soon as they got it to the customers. Everything was working for the.
Speaker 2: Best and the best of all possible worlds.
Speaker 3: I slept well till next morning. Quite early, I went to my room.
Speaker 12: Tell them, I'm honest you, you must not make so much noise.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to arouse my friends. That's mistaken nonsense. The balls are staying here.
Speaker 13: No, monsieur, they have left at two o'clock this morning. See, I assure you, papant, they have gone.
Speaker 2: I stood there in the doorway, looking into the room vacated.
Speaker 3: By my arrest wire friends, and in my mind's ear I heard the voice of Papa's my principals will reach with Mike in the Grand Hotel. They met me, all right, they met me Papas's principles and took me perhaps Papa's who.
Speaker 2: Knew me well. I told them that I I liked a pretty face.
Speaker 3: Now they were gone, and so was my opium, and so was my fifty thousand dollars. I advanced into that room.
Speaker 12: But monsieur, you have no heart in here?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is this give me the ride?
Speaker 8: I thank you, monsieur, thank you?
Speaker 12: Can I help you in anyway?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 2: I'm looking for something and for what I don't know clues?
Speaker 8: Is this pictures a flaw, monsieur, brother Jack.
Speaker 2: If they only left the frame around that picture, I never mind it? And what's this?
Speaker 5: What?
Speaker 2: And the that's brother there? Someone was writing on the paper of his blood and he bought on her.
Speaker 3: Let's see, let's see if we can make it out that what we do?
Speaker 2: Sure don't? If we really sure, I'll say I'm.
Speaker 12: Off, monsieur, Ah says America.
Speaker 3: Theresi and marsays and short and quiet, straight, quiet to the point of being suspicious. The street was more vacant lots than dilapidated frame houses in need of paint, and the twenty three was there a house with streaked windows, a house seemingly deserted. No one was watching. So I mounted the steps of the porch with my automatic in my hand. How do you hollow, papas? This guy has real bullets in it. I'm coming in.
Speaker 2: Come in here, come in, Okay, where are they people you're holding? Presenter?
Speaker 3: Papas have come to take them out? Where's that girl?
Speaker 2: Where are they in that room? Okay, lead on like Papa's.
Speaker 3: Open the door.
Speaker 2: Hello darling, Hello, mother and father.
Speaker 7: Wait a minute, we're gonna make.
Speaker 2: A deal with you over the corner. Papas were always.
Speaker 12: Intended to cut your in.
Speaker 8: Oh that's a silly thing to say, Grace.
Speaker 2: He knows better, Gray, sir, not mother. I'm relieved. Listen to me. And there's the opium right on the table, still in the frame. Well, thank you one and all.
Speaker 11: Now, wait a minute, there's a man coming to pick up that opium and give us some money for it.
Speaker 8: He's still here any minute, when you're not. We thought he'd comes.
Speaker 7: He's playing American prices line.
Speaker 12: Yes, we'll cut you in.
Speaker 8: Well was intended to what you saying.
Speaker 2: Line, it's a good deal for you, Haddie, sounds like a good deal for me.
Speaker 4: What do you mean?
Speaker 3: Hold the door the next room, Ella, that's fine. It'd be nice to tie you people up in here. No, you don't real, Line, you're not here. Harry, you know, used to argue with Haddie. I know, and he's nothing from this man. Come on, all of you in here, all right, and now all of your set to work tearing down these brakes. Come on, hop to it, Helen. You're going to tie them up and then you'll tie me up.
Speaker 2: How would you like to come with me?
Speaker 4: Do you mean?
Speaker 2: I mean it? We could be an excellent team.
Speaker 3: Nobody more innocent looking than you, and nobody more full of excellent ideas making use of your innocent appearance than I.
Speaker 2: What are you saying?
Speaker 8: All right, Harriet?
Speaker 5: To do?
Speaker 2: Shut up?
Speaker 4: Shut up?
Speaker 2: All right, Helen? Tie them up?
Speaker 8: Tag him, all right, darling launch.
Speaker 3: She tied them well, and afterwards she and I went into the other room and waited for the messenger.
Speaker 2: With the money.
Speaker 8: It's going to be a merry light.
Speaker 2: Oh what is that is? You know?
Speaker 3: It's a relief? Helen is discovering that you're not a little maiden from Youngstown. I can like you just as much this way more, but it's I'm not pretending. Oh you pretended well, not have so well as you do. You love me, Harry, Now there you are. A woman can have all the wackedness and all the terrible precocious.
Speaker 2: Knowledge of the street, Edson, and still she remains a woman. Do I love you? Yeah, Helen, and I love you. I'm glad I have a soft spot. You see.
Speaker 3: I could have left you in that room and the others.
Speaker 2: I could have taken all the money for myself.
Speaker 5: But I love you.
Speaker 8: Oh, I'm glad you have that soft spot. And I am a woman. Really, there's messages.
Speaker 3: Come on, No, wait a minute. Automatic never can tell when you're dealing with crooks.
Speaker 2: All right, let's go. I'll cover the door with a gun. You open it.
Speaker 3: Please put on the guns your ticket from him jackaby. Gentlemen, gentlemen, wait wait now.
Speaker 5: There will be no waiting most year.
Speaker 4: We know you have opium here.
Speaker 3: We've been watching the eyes. They've also got the man who's here with the monk.
Speaker 8: Okay, what can we do?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 2: There, gentlemen, is a clever girl.
Speaker 7: What do you mean, Harry, you hear her.
Speaker 2: She's making it sound as though I was one of them, Harry, what are you saying?
Speaker 5: You?
Speaker 3: Well, you saw me the gun trained on her. I made her open the door, and I was going to take the messenger. Did not realize, of course, that you so efficient policeman, had already taken him. I made this girl confess to me where the opium was hit.
Speaker 8: He's lying, he's heard me here. He's making love too.
Speaker 5: I wanted proof, Ma, If you won't get.
Speaker 3: It from her, General said you loved me.
Speaker 8: You said we were to be mad.
Speaker 3: Gentlemen, this is a most wicked liar. In the back room, you will find the rest of her gang tied up as I tied to myself. You can easily trace this girl to these people. She's gone everywhere in the continent with them, pretending to be the daughter.
Speaker 2: Of the two of them. Is that a lie, young lady?
Speaker 5: You you monsieur.
Speaker 3: If your story is true, France will be most great.
Speaker 2: Oh it's quite right, that's quite You'll find the gang back there.
Speaker 3: Jacques, you will stay here with these people. I myself will go and see.
Speaker 2: Or by the way, Captain.
Speaker 3: Yes, just in case you're.
Speaker 2: Wondering about my angle and this, I believe you're so gracious.
Speaker 3: Country offers a reward in cases like this, that is true.
Speaker 2: I do hope you'll be able to put it through for me quite speedily.
Speaker 3: Captain, I really shouldn't stay in nice say much longer. I will do my best mess you, Thank you very much.
Speaker 8: Dirty dirty swine.
Speaker 3: Haw I how easy out of darling. I'm a realist, if you know, my sweet Though you are so beautiful, I'm afraid that I cannot undertake to wait for you to get out of whatever that steel is about to embrace you through. All the time for everything is a time for seeing pennists and a time for making another time to Sentiment's time for you in about ten years, I should think, So long.
Speaker 5: Are Harry Lyme returns in in just a.
Speaker 2: Month, and now Verry lies.
Speaker 4: I'd rather wait.
Speaker 3: As a PostScript to that story, I told you once before I don't approve of dope, and you may have felt from this little adventure that I've gone against my principles.
Speaker 2: Really you should know me better right now. Harry Lyon may be a trifle.
Speaker 3: Underweight on some of the virtues that touch upon his principles, and I want you to watch out. The police of Us got the dope. But even if they hadn't arrived at that rather dramatic moment on that you're not a secret, I'd already come to a decision. I was going to claim that police reward anyway, same may have been influenced by reading about the size of the reward, not about the size of the risk. In all the way things are going, They pay to be honest, charge us to prove that even Harry Lyon may not be incorruptible.
Speaker 14: Do you see what I meant as.
Speaker 15: Any from basin.
Speaker 14: In take into the animas.
Speaker 11: And don't have.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 15: It's from bathing in fat in compassa