Speaker 1: The Thinking Atheist. It's not a person, it's a symbol, an idea.
Speaker 2: The population of atheists in this country is going through the.
Speaker 1: Rule, rejecting faith, pursuing knowledge, challenging the sacred. If I tell the truth, it's because I tell the truth, not because.
Speaker 3: I put my hand on a book and made a wish.
Speaker 1: And working together for a more rational world.
Speaker 2: Take the risk of thinking. Feel so much more happiness. Truth Usian wisdom will come to you that way.
Speaker 1: Assume nothing, question everything, and start thinking. This is the Thinking Atheist podcast hosted by Seth Andrews.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna beg your indulgence. You know I'm always begging your indulgence. Have you noticed I'm always throwing myself at your feet and saying, Okay, I need a little understanding, and so I'm going to do it again today. This is the audio from a recent YouTube live stream. So I've launched this Monday night, six pm Central video live stream called Seth Andrews on a Tangent. And you're familiar with the format because I do about twenty twenty five minutes on whatever subject is on my mind, and then take your calls on whatever subject you want to talk about and of course we were talking about the Pope, the Supreme Pontiff, who is in critical condition. He's in very poor health, and I had thoughts about the church and the Pontiffs. So I start with that, and I'm going to play you the audio of that for today. And there are two reasons. First, it was just a great show and I thought the podcast audience would really enjoy it. Second, Lee, I need to free up a little bandwidth because of a very busy month of March, I am traveling. I'm a little scared about getting on a plane these days, watching the headlines. Every time I wake up, there's a new incident. This plane crashed into a chopper. This plane landed and freaking flipped over and caught fire. This plane almost crashed into another plane on the tarmac. I was telling Forrest Valci, who's also doing a lot of travel, I'm like, how long is the drive from Oklahoma to Phoenix? You know, Tulsa to Phoenix. I'm tempted, Tulsa to our land. You know what, I'm gonna look it up. Drive time Tulsa to Orlando, Florida. Let's see, seventeen hours, forty eight minutes, one two hundred and twenty point eight eight miles. I would normally have scoffed, but lately, you know, eighteen hours didn't sound all that long to me. Somebody posted a meme and said, I think we should renormalize everybody breaking into applause on the plane after it lands. You know, that's kind of how I feel. But anyway, I know it's say statistically, it's still the sleafest way to travel. I know all that. This is just my emotional side, my lizard brain that's been thinking about it. But Secular Arizona invited me to stand on the capital steps and speak about secular values, state church separation and why all the bullshit going on with the Christian Nationalists and the Zealots and everybody's trying to turn Arizona and the other forty nine states into a freaking Christian church. How they are betraying the Constitution, the intent to the founders and pretty much all of us. So I'm honored. I'm going to go down there and do that on Thursday the sixth, ten o'clock in the morning. The weekend of March the fifteenth, Orlando is the Florida freethont Conference. I'm going to be officiating a wedding in San Antonio near the end of the month, getting into the month of April. It's going to be crazy anyway, with all of the events on the calendar, too many for me to mention here in detail. Phoenix, Orlando, Alexandria, Virginia, Minneapolis, Calgary, Alberta, Seattle, Washington, Wichita, Nashville, Sarnia, Ontario, Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. All of these and others as they are scheduled. You can find the details and links at the Thinkingatheist dot com slash events. So today's audio from a recent live stream is going to allow me to finish my speech or the Capitol steps in Phoenix, and then I will play that for you when I return. Thank you so much for listening. Good evening, everybody. I hope you're safe and well. Been watching the headlines about so much going on in the world, but people are talking about the Pope. So that's what I wanted to talk about here in the opening monologue. As we wait for people to call in on the switchboard, if there's something that is on your mind you want to chit chat about, please do so. Pope Francis eighty eight years old. He's in the hospital critical condition, double pneumonia, and he's having some kidney breakdown, apparently some renal issues, and you know he's eighty eight. So now you and I are having this conversation like, okay, all right, is this when it begins again? Somebody on Facebook said that we had been through four pope in our lifetimes. Depending on your age, that seems like a lot of popes. That's many popes in our lifetime. And if we lose the pope, then it's time for the papal conclave to come in and select a new pope. Now, if you've seen the film Conclave with Ray Fines, you've already had a sneak peek and do a little bit of what it's like behind the scenes. But I have a problem with pope selection on a number of fronts. First of all, and this is true with the canonization of the Bible books and so much more. Why are human beings voting on God's will? That God's will? Why would you need to vote? And then why would there ever be a disagreeing vote? If the spirit was guiding all of these faith leaders, wouldn't they be in unison wouldn't there be unanimity. Why is it only men they get to vote on God's will? Where are the women? Why do they have to vote in a locked room? The ceremoniously go and lock the door. What's that about? Why does it have to be a secret vote? What's that about? I don't understand? And who came up with the culty batshit ritual for pope selection. I wrote about this in my twenty fifteen book Sacred Cows. I cannot believe it's been ten years since Sacred Cows came out. The hettle chapter on the pope and some wild wanky Catholic tradition specific we talked about pope selection. Yeah, and this was two years after Benedict had had abdicated. He didn't die. Normally, the pope has to kick off and then you replace the dead pope and one of the traditions and the church denies this, but it has long been rumored that there is a position in the Catholic hierarchy for someone called the Camerlengo. And I am not kidding, but according to many who say that they are informed about the history of the Church, when a pope dies, there is a designated camera lengo, someone who goes into the room where the dead pope is lying and they tap him three times on the head with a hammer, just to make sure he's dead. If it's not true, it needs to be true. And how do I get that job? Who gets to knock a hammer on the dead but just tap him? Who gets to do that job? I want to be a camera lingo. Anyway, the church is kind of like, oh, well, we don't really do that. Let them continue to deny. I will continue to believe that it still goes on today. But when Benedict abdicated, they had to go and they had to find a new pope, and so they began this wacky wanky ritual one hundred and fourteen men and go in the papal conclave and they sit in here in this room, and they cast their ballots, and then they count the ballots, and they take the pellets and they put them in this will fire box and burn the ballots. And if they haven't agreed on who the new pope is going to be, they have these canisters that they shove into a furnace with a pipe that goes out the top of the building, and the color of the smoke that goes out the top communicates to the rest of the world whether or not they have been successful in designating a new replacement Supreme Pontiff. Black smoke means, ah, ow, we have no pope. White smoke is what we want. Now. What blows my mind is this with every pope selection, actually, with every pope death, appointment and selection whatever, the media goes nuts. It is like the lead story on all the major networks, national networks, many local networks, the Pope, the Pope, the Pope, the Pope, and they have cameras drained on the chimney coming out of the papal conclave voting area. And when they see the black smoke, I mean you can just watch. You can just watch the smoke. It's black twenty four to seven. And there are people who leave this window up waiting for the moment when the black smoke turns to white smoke, signifying yes, a vote has been unanimously received, we have a pope. I just don't understand it. And then they celebrate with cheers and tears and fanfare over a selection that affects the everyday lives of nobody. Nobody. Yeah, you think about how little attention most Catholics act actually pay to the church. We know that most practicing Catholics are not really practicing. And we also know that the Catholic Church does not promote or encourage Bible literacy. You know you're not. They don't prompt people go and dive into the scriptures and glean truths and we will come back and discuss and debate richer in our knowledge of Christ. They don't do that. You go in, you sit down, your genuflect, and you do whatever, and they dole out a few more souls, and then you go off to your beer and bingo. Right, you're done. And then you can send as much as you want and hit the confessional reset. Slates wiped clean. Now I can go out and I can do all the shit I want till the next time I confess. This is the catholicture. But we know that a huge percentage of people in the Catholic Church ignore most of the stuff the Catholic Church tells them to do. Don't divorce. They're like, screw, I'm going to sign the paper right, let's separate. I'm done. No women in leadership. How many of the women who are Catholics have positions or jobs which include women in leadership positions. There are offshoot to the Catholic Church that have elected or appointed or allowed priests who are female. They stand against the whole of the Catholic the Roman Catholic Church, the Vatican. Intoxication is a sin. Catholics are like, oh, that's terrible, past the wine and weed. Please LGBT people being gay as a sin. You think most Catholics give a shit whether somebody is hetero or non hetero. They just don't. What the Catholic Church does has almost no meaning in their everyday lives. Right cultural Catholicism. You show up, you attend Mass, you and dory and smile, big hog, great sermon, sir or ma'am if you're in one of the more progressive pods. And then you go back and you know, you might wear the crucifix, you might have a picture of the Virgin Mary or something. It's really a non thing, which might explain its popularity. A religion where you get to be in the club without having to really do anything. But people are interested, they're fascinated by the pope of the religion. They largely ignore and people who are not. Catholics are obsessed. People right now are like, what's the condition of the Pope? And I don't wish any ill will on Francis. I'm not that guy. I go back and forth on Pope Francis, and I wrote about this in Sacred Cows. We have seen over the last ten years he would come forward and personally say something that was more charitable than the church historically has said. He would make a position or take a stand, or say something really egalitarian, and we would be like, well, that doesn't sound very Catholic. And then the church, you know, the priests, the bishops, they would all lose their shit and they all go behind closed doors, and he would have to come out and kind of hem and haw and be like, well, you know, the Catholic Church says that the Pope is infallible, but infallible doesn't mean infallible, and they've got all these wacky apologetics to define what infallible means. So he's infallible except that he can make mistakes, and when he says shit, they don't like that the church. Then Hemsenhausen comes forward and says, well, actually we really do judge gay people, but with Francis, despite the fact that he is the head of a seventy three billion dollar corporation with a long history of rapists. There has been a shade of me, a part of me that has wondered if he's frustrated that he's been constrained by his position, you know, he's sort of locked in that cocoon of tradition. Then I blink and I say, well, he's the Pope. If he really wanted to, he could take the stage say whatever he wanted, and by the time he was out there, it'd be too late. And I can't give the pope a pass on the crimes, the heinous crimes of the Catholic Church. Right, And now we're talking about an eighty eight year old pope with double pneumonia who's really on the bubble. And we'll soon and one way or the other he's going to pass away. Watching that Monty Python skit the other day with John Cleese with the dead parrot sketches the famous Moon, except I substituted Pope. You know, you know he's passed on.
Speaker 4: The pontiff is no more. He has ceased to be He is an ex whop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, someone needs to do that everyone's going to lose their minds. The media is going to totally focus on this when there's so much other shit going on in the world. And then these creepy dudes dressed like eleventh century chess pieces are going to go hide in a room. A bunch of old, nasty, creepy, virgin people in robes and big hats are going to cast votes to determine what God's will is because God didn't show up to a point the pope to begin with, and we are, for some reason going to act like we care. Oh thank you, we have a new pope. I'm just struck by it. I'm really fascinated by it. Catholicism is not known for normalcy anyway. Right. I talked in my speech Blood Cult, which I gave at the American Atheist National Convention two years ago, about communion and how Catholics believe in transubstantiation. They believe that when you eat the cracker and the wine, that this it transforms. God just miracles it as it goes down the gullet. The cracker becomes flesh and the wine becomes Jesus' blood. Now, this has been totally refuted by any examination of stomach contents that has ever been done. And there was an organization. They were kind of a wacky organization. I think they were Rallian, but they actually carried out an experiment and they monitored communion, wine and crackers as they were eaten to see if there was any transformation that took place. And of course you're well ahead of me. You know that there was no transformation that took place. And then the Catholic Church is like, well, it changes, but it's not detectable as a change. Yet another miracle. What an amazing thing that is. It's physical properties transform. But the next miracle is is that we can only perceive the original properties and not perceive the transformation in our insect like mortality, our inability to grasp the mind and miracles of God. The miracle must look like it never happened. This is the Catholic Church. It's crazy. And now we're coming up on Lent. Now, if you don't know what Lent is, Lent mark Sert honors the forty days that Jesus spent fasting and praying in the wilderness before he embarked on his adult ministry. It's funny thing about Jesus is in the gospels, like, all right, he is now being carried in Mary's woem if he pops out there, he is, he's in the manger. He got you know, all of this fanfare, and then he just freaking disappears for three decks. Nobody knows what Jesus did. Then then he comes back. Aha, Now I am preparing for my ministry on earth, now that I am thirty years of age. And he wanders off into the wilderness for forty days, he does not eat, and he is occasionally tempted by the devil. The devil's tappening on the shoulder, going, why don't you prove your god like powers?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 2: Come on, all you got to do is do this and do that. And God is like, thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God. I don't know why you wouldn't do it, or why would he care what Satan thought in the first place? You know, why would you even listen to the guy? But why not just do it? All right? Fine, you want to see me do my thing. I'm all powerful. Hey, how don't I stay like you can just totally put him in his place. But beyond that, this was the humility of Jesus as he communicated with God, which meant God was talking to himself. I and the Father are one. Jesus and God are the same person. God impregnated the virgin, which wasn't a virgin, with himself to have himself birthed so that himself or he could then die and be resurrected himself to save us from the hell that he himself created. So now Jesus is in the wilderness, He's praying to himself, dear me, I lie down here. I'd throw myself prostrate before the inhumility to prepare me for my ministry on the earth. Please me give me what I need to be able to do this weird stuff for a god to say. Catholics are like, oh, we got to honor this. Jesus made such a great sacrifice. So for forty days, and it starts on a different day every year, and I think it's March the sixth, the fifth of the sixth this year, and it goes through I want to say the eighteenth or nineteenth of April. That's Easter weekend. And they say I am going to practice Lent, and Lent begins with ash Wednesday and you know what ash Wednesday is. You know, I ever have to ask what the date is because you see a bunch of fucking Catholics walking around with ash smeared on their forehead. Ash in this in the face of a cross. And this goes back to the scripture right from Ashes. I'm trying to remember the paraphrase of the verse, from Ashes thou hast come, and to Ash, thou shalt return, something along those lines. It's in the Book of Genesis. Somebody look it up for me and check me. Ash Wednesday twenty four hours wearing ash like it's totally normal, running around with an ash cross on their freaking forehead. After that, they finish with thirty nine days of denying themselves something. I'm giving this up for lent and the shit they call denial. It just blows my mind. Yes, I mean Jesus fasted in the desert or well over one month by myself will honor his great commitment. I will give up coffee. I will have no coffee for forty days. Yes, Lord, I am obedient in the eyes of God. I looked up websites. I have a blog coming out about this in early March. Doing my research I saw there are whole Catholic websites with advice recommendations on shit that you can deny yourself to qualify for giving it up for Lent. It's a punchline. Just a few examples. I, in order to feel just a measure of the discomfort of the Christ, will sleep with fewer blankets on my bed for Lent. I will eat these six ounce fil a, but I will I will skip dessert for Lent. I will not go shopping. I will not buy anything on Amazon for forty days for Lent. I will not drink beer. I will not use Facebook. I won't use cuss words. I refuse to swear until after April to nineteenth, and then fuck it. I will not take hot showers. There are people who will only shower in cold water from March the fifth to April the nineteenth because they think Jesus would be honored by that. Explain it to me. One website recommended that you only take the shitty parking spaces. Oh yeah, oh look there's a slot right up front. No. No, I, in my righteousness honoring the Christ, I will go way out here to the bf E and I'm going to make myself walk three hundred yards, because that's what an obedient and faithful servant would do. Bad parking for God, you cannot make this shit up. So if the pope dies, well there be some kind of a I don't know, sacrificial mourning ritual and the grieving process.
Speaker 6: Oh Francis has postive. I will now park in the parking lot of a completely different retail establishment and.
Speaker 4: Walk a half a mile.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you Jesus. Mostly, I'm just struck by how often we people are just distracted by the bright shiny thing, aren't we. You know, people are starving in the streets. You got fascism rampantly running in the United States. You got uh was it NATO or the UN. I'm trying to think who had who today voted to condemn Russia for its invasion of Ukraine, and the United States was like, we didn't. We voted against it. Our own presidents calling Ukraine a dictator for being invaded. It's like calling the rape victim the predator. You know what, if you address provocatively, you had it coming. That's exactly what Trump is doing with freaking Ukraine. We've got an anti vaxer in charge of health. We've got conspiracy theorists running rampant in the FBI. We've got Elon Musk and his doge hackers, one of them with the nickname Big Balls. I think, wait a minute, I think he was reassigned to some kind of a special advisor position. These people, they're doing a tap dance. They're playing the sims with our financial information. The whole world's on fire. And if this guy dies, the planet of nearly eight billion people is going to put on their twenty four hours smoke cams and they are going to be obsessed waiting for the moment when the black cloud turns white because a bunch of creepy old Catholic virgin dudes voted somebody else in. It's just bizarre to me anyway. In my heart, I wish Francis no ill Will. I mean, part of me's thinking eighty eight is a pretty good run. What's the average a life span of of the American men. I think it's seventy seven something like that. You know, you make eighty eight, I mean, you passed your expiration date by eleven years. Powell, that's pretty good. And if you believe in heaven, there's a part already waiting for you anyway. So I mean, why are people grieving? And it's not like people knew him personally anyway, So if he passes away, why would there be wailing at the Vatican steps. I don't understand any of that, but it looks to be the season where we may see the people conclave go back in their room and start blowing more smoke. What a great metaphor for the Catholic Church over the past two thousand years. All right, that's the rant or monologue. It wasn't really a rant. It was just my thoughts for what they were worth and your calls on the other side of this. We began today's conversation talking about the Catholic Church, but our listeners wanted to talk about a lot more. I've got Russell. I think it's Russell at six' one, FOUR i get that. Right, yes appreciate your, call my. Friend you're a little bit. Faint speak nice and loud for. Me all.
Speaker 7: Right have you seen that Latest Joe rogan.
Speaker 2: Episode i'm happy to SAY i have, not But i'll ask what happened on the Latest Joe rogan.
Speaker 7: Episode Apparently Joe rogan was saying that he doesn't mind banning fact. CHECKERS i don't really understand what he's talking. About apparently he was, like if a source comes from a news network LIKE cnn AND msnbc THAT i don't like, them it must not be true and it's all just some evil, conspiracy you, know at all because they disagree with, me they must be pushing some sort of eel conspiracy that what they're state is not.
Speaker 2: True so if it's, disconfirming it's part of a deep state. Plot but if it's, confirming then it's absolutely. True is that the?
Speaker 7: Vibe, yeah but it's, like you, KNOW i don't really trust What Fox news says and what write. Parks this is just kind of my. Bias but it's, like just because it's On Fox news the pride part doesn't necessarily mean it's not. TRUE i, MEAN i can always look up their sources to see what they're saying it is. Correct but, yeah some people kind of live in their echo. Chamber or it's, like if this is being told to find a new source THAT i don't, like then it must not be. True you.
Speaker 2: Know, well and this gets. STICKY i wrote about this in another book THAT i published in twenty twenty Called confessions of a Former Fox News, christian where we dissect right wing propaganda networks masquerading as, News Fox, News, Newsmax, oa n right wing, radio et. Cetera And Fox news simply does not have the, equity the reputational equity for me to take them. Seriously i'm not saying that other networks don't have BIASED i don't have, flaws they haven't gotten things. Wrong BUT i will say that if it Is National Public, radio or if it's The Associated, press or even The New York, times wars and, all despite their, flaws they have more reputational equity for being investigative journalists and for presenting facts in a more fair. Manner and these things have been measured so we can, say, oh it was On Fox. News, well you AND i have every reason to hold up our hand to, goh wait a, minute wait a. Minute you, know do you have a more reputable source for? That but it's also true that we can be creatures of bias and confirmation when it comes to the stuff that we see that we agree about ON cnn AND, npr et. Cetera we got to keep our eyes and ears. Open BUT i think it's just fine for you to, Say i'm not going to watch it On. Fox there are more reputable organizations THAT i can glean this information. From and you, know it's interesting because people who are more, progressive more, liberal actually are statistically prone to get their news from a greater variety of. Sources they're more prone to go out and do this network and that, network and they might do more even local and regional. News they just have a wider palette by which they are able to receive, data where conservatives tend to lock more into one or two conduits of. Information i'm not trying to, stereotype but that's a. Trend and so you, know you AND i meet A Fox news there there's a chance that maybe they've been locked in a propaganda window and a tunnel and they simply don't know what the rest of the world looks. Like SO i don't know as Anything i've said made any sense to. You you got any other, thoughts BECAUSE i, MEAN i welcome your input as. WELL i don't have all the answers on.
Speaker 7: It by, yes have you ever seen that latest episode With Sam. Harris he was talking to a woman who was selling her a book particulars Like, Lies God BELIEVE i think there's a.
Speaker 2: Third, Yeah Catherine, STEWART i interviewed her as well as she heard new Book Money lies In. God, Yes i've also.
Speaker 7: Seen your episode where you interviewed with, her but, Yeah Sam harris also had a little episode with, her and he was talking about, how like The New York, times yeah it could be a bit, biased but, like, uh if it makes my little, mistake the conservatives will be, like, oh they made this one little, mistake so it must may not be. True But Fox news and breitbarte a lot of a lot of other right leading new. Sources they can say whatever bullshit they want to and it don't care because it just confirms their. Biases and the PROBLEM i have with people Like Joe rogan is that he just kind of assumes that you know that what's being told him is truth because it's being told by a source that confirms his.
Speaker 8: Bias you.
Speaker 2: Know, WELL i Think i'm being charitable WHEN i say That Joe rogan is as sharp as. Marble that guy falls for every batshit conspiracy theory that comes. Along it boggles my mind that he is as popular as he. Is and what really hurts is that he has given such a platform to anti, science conspiracy, theory and often corrupt cranks who were doing real damage to the, culture and then he befriends them when he, says, Oh i've been buddies With Alex jones for twenty. Years, MAN i know the. GUY i just keep, Thinking Jesus, christ how tone deaf can you be in this culture of where hate is so. Rampant i'd like to see The Sam Harris Catherine stewart. INTERVIEW i bet he drew out some stuff THAT i wasn't even able to get. To sam's pretty smart, guy but not all sources are the. SAME i think one of the best defenses is to use a variety of. Sources have those sources who are checking other, sources don't be afraid to read disagreement and be aware of our biases at the front. END i think once we are cognizant of the fact that we are emotional meat, bags we are evolved primates with flawed, brains it helps us a little bit to get in front of. It but you, know you keep fact checking on your own out, there and if you learn something we didn't know, here let us. Know, Okay, Russell, Okay.
Speaker 7: I'll make sure to call you again IF i get the.
Speaker 2: Chance all, right have a good. One we'll see you. Later a super. Chat by the, way thank you so much for your. Support patreon dot, com Slash Seth andrews or if you superchat me in the next forty five minutes is where we're going to. GO i will read your superchats personally on the, air And i'm going to start with gimpyg. Gaming gimpy, gaming what are your? Games i've been playing the remake Of Silent hill. Two not, bad not. Bad as a lifelong quadriplegic, MATHEMATICIAN i fear de eia edicts will make working impossible for the. DISABLED i defeat ed the gov and car Versus Morgan School DISTRICT R e three twenty years. Ago it hurts, man you know. What let me read something THAT i posted and thank you for that nine dollars ninety nine cent super. Chat that really does mean a. Lot i've been in this weird. SPOT i was talking To natalie Where i'm, LIKE i don't want to be, dramatic but you, know if they're going after what they call Anti christian bias in, GOVERNMENT i figure it won't be long before they they do Anti christian what they call Anti christian bias in the culture as a. Whole so what happens If YouTube decides to shadow ban me or you, know Oh google now is going to delete my page because it's been deemed hate speech or advertising is. Denied so, oh we'll let you, broadcast but you can no longer make a living doing what you. Do let me pull this up here because it had something to do WITH. Theei PLEASE i beg your forgiveness and patience for just. Moments oh, there it is helpful context on diversity. Programs some of WHAT dei is ramps and sidewalk curb, cuts subtitles and captions for your television and, phone family, restrooms changing tables in men's, restrooms breastfeeding and pumping stations and, accommodations floating paid, holidays pay equity and, transparency parental leave time and pay coming back to a job after birthing a, child not having to just accept workplace, harassment work accommodations for a variety of, disabilities flexible work, arrangements size inclusive chairs and beds and medical, things, facilities belt extenders on, Planes various food options for, vegetarians, vegans kosher gluten, free. Etc at medical, facilities non smoking, areas and the end of smoking. Indoors being able to have medical professionals and your co workers use your preferred, name not just queer people have those wellness programs and, incentives more relaxed and inclusive dress code, policies rooms to pray or meditate at work in other public, places employee recognition, programs employee network resource, groups large print materials for the, site impaired materials in different, languages multiple religious options at hospitals or no religion. Option accessible bikes and public transit. Accommodations business is not becoming fully cash less because some people deal in cash only and don't have bank, accounts company covered mental behavioral health, resources and so much. More THAT'S dei diversity equity. Inclusion WHAT dei is not hiring an underqualified person for a job just because they're a person of, color hiring based on race just to meet diversity. Goals this is illegal and it is not a new fat or. BUZZWORD dei work has been going on for, many many years under different. Names, ANYWAY i thought that was really good and thank you again for the super. Chat C s says how much of an. Impact do you Think christianity has on keeping people badly educated to the point where they voted for the same scammer Con man. Twice that's a good. Question but having been indoctrinated as a kid In christian, SCHOOL i will tell you THAT i was in an ideology, first not an education first, environment AND i was programmed to retake this country for. Christ. NOW i don't THINK i would have Bought, trump BUT i did believe we were A christian. Nation the founders Were, christian and my job was to go and incorporate myself into the culture to help restore A christian. Nation and there might have been some people who totally sold me a bill of goods THAT i then. Bought AND i do think in doctrination is a big piece of the mag of. Puzzle and ALSO i think high control religions prime people for savior. Figures christianity is an authoritarian. Faith you've got a male authority above, all and then that authority sets in place under him other, authorities often, men and we're supposed to just bow, down you, know we kneel and obey because that's What god. Wants and it's no mistake that many authoritarians throughout history have invoked the name Of. God, hey it's not my idea That i'm in charge sitting at the high throne on the high mountain telling everybody what to do and calling all their resources and dominating and. Enslaving you, know it's not my. Fault it's simply What god. Wants so, YEAH i think there's a lot of truth to, that AND i think it's one of the reasons that we need to defeat superstitions and mythological, thinking bad, idea, is udo, science. Etc because we want people rooting more in the real, world and once they do, that then they're more. Prepared we are all more prepared to be able to tackle real world. Problems oh, Wow i'm going to make SURE i say your name. Right is it Frozen theia Or? Frozenthea? OH i like that?
Speaker 7: Better.
Speaker 2: Prosenttheia, Lovely you've been one of my biggest inspirations for the past thirteen. Years you've always been very just in, kind and your commitment to common sense just been a really refreshing tone we need more. OF i appreciate you, Well You're you're very generous to. Me i'm just a guy with a big, mouth and you, know the ability to communicate is about ALL i. Got i'm not a. PhD i'm not a. Scientist i'm not that. Guy i'm simply someone who came out of a very intense religious background and had something to say about it and felt LIKE i had something to contribute to the. Conversation and you, know there are so many people out there smarter than, me and that's WHY i bring them on the show and let them do so much of the. TALKING i sit back AND i rubbed my chin AND i, said, hmm that's most. Interesting Mess let me ask you another, question and THEN i said Back kelly At avery code ninety three, Seven, hi are you? There, Hi, yes this Is. Kelly, Hi, kelly. Welcome what's on your mind? Today?
Speaker 9: Hi, well at the beginning of the, program you were talking about the strange custom Of catholics with putting the ashings on their, foreheads and it just me thinking about This instagram account and also a TikTok account for this lady who Is Jewish orthodox and her name Is Miriam, ezagui AND i looked it up a few minutes, ago and she actually has two point three million followers on. TikTok and so she has an enormous, following and she talks about her life as An Orthodox jewish. Woman AND i started following her content several months, ago AND i found it. Fascinating and she talks about so many very unusual customs That i've never heard of. Before and one of these customs involves the fact that she in her, videos this Lady, miriam she has long brown. Hair and what you discover when you're watching the videos is she has several videos where she reveals but that long brown, hair which looks like her real, hair is a. WIG i learned from these videos That Orthodox jewish women after they get married have to hide their hair so the rest of their lives from anyone that's not like close immediate. Family it might just be, men but any and all MALES i think that are not close immediate. Family so at all times when she might be in the presence of any of those, people she has to cover her. Hair but the way she can cover it sometimes she uses a scarf or something to fully cover, it and other times she uses a complete, wig like a very you, know very, expensive you, know very nice. Wig she has multiple different wigs that she, wears but her hair has to be completely fully.
Speaker 2: Covered it's okay for someone, That like IF i got turned on by a, wig like if it's long, hair brunette hair or. Whatever if it's not actually attached to her, scalp but it's a, wig that's. Okay but if it was organic to her, body if it was actually part of her, scout that's the sin or that's a. Problem is that what's going?
Speaker 9: On, yes that's exactly. RIGHT i don't you. Know it might be disrespectful to her others to call it mental, gymnastics but it's very fascinating to hear sort of the explanation that she OSes to justify, it because she does call it modesty, cult like a modesty. THING i think she would say, that but she talks about that in a positive, way of, course and she explains that to, her this is not at all about covering up her own. Beauty she, claims this has nothing to do with. Beauty she's allowed to look, beautiful which is why she's loved to wear these very nice wigs that make her look very, nice because it's actually about somehow preserving her hair for her, husband but occurring to her, religion she's still allowed to look, Beautiful so it's such a strange like.
Speaker 2: Contradiction tell me the last name. Again i'll look up the channel WHEN i get a chance. Tomorrow Miriam.
Speaker 9: WHO i don't know how you pronounce, it but it looks like it's pronounced ethically and it's. Easy a g. U. I i actually really loved following her accounts very, much SO i thought it was very, interesting AND i liked her personally until one DAY i was On instagram AND i saw her doing an ad For Praguer. You AND i don't mean to tell you why that's. Bad AND i was really disappointed because she seemed like she seemed, like in spite, of you, know maybe very strict traditionalist types of, views she seemed like she has a lot of sentiments that she'd expressed, about you, know the importance of you, know maybe diversity and accepting other cultures and, people and you, know she seems sort of liberal minded in.
Speaker 3: A lot of.
Speaker 9: Ways SO i was just really horrified and disappointed that she was doing ads For Praguer.
Speaker 2: You, WELL i don't think mental gymnastics is an overstatement at. All it sounds like she could be on The. Olympics BUT i am curious So i'll go check out the channel WHEN i get a chance. Tomorrow but thanks for bringing that to my. Attention, NO i. HADN'T i heard the wig thing. Before real hair, bad but real hair on a wig that came from someone else. ACCEPTABLE i don't really understand the logic, there but thanks for telling.
Speaker 3: Me.
Speaker 2: Kelly it's interesting, stuff, right she has.
Speaker 9: Several videos about. It, Sure i'll pro and. All thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: On all, right we'll catch you, later all, right thank, you good. Night Orthodox judaism's wacky. Anyway like on The, sabbath you can't touch an elevator button if you're An Orthodox. Jew that is considered, kindling because you're not allowed to do anything that starts a. Fire well with the electrical connection with the circuit that's connected on an elevator, button that is considered, kindling and you're not allowed to do that On. Sabbath SO i shit you not on The. Sabbath there are buildings that have elevators that from a certain hour OF i think It's friday Through saturday night wins The. SABBATH i think It's friday night Through saturday. Night the elevators stop at every floor for twenty four hours because you were not allowed to do. Work you're not allowed to touch the elevator buttons, litvators you have to stop at every floor fifty story. Building, ah sucks for. You you don't get to press the. Button there were ovens that have something called A sabbath. Mode look at the manual of your. Appliances i'll bet your, oven if it was purchased in the last ten, years is what they call Stark kosher, certified which means that the oven will stay warm so that you don't have to touch a knob or turn on a burner because you are not allowed to do so on The SABBATH i which is. Crazy there was a family In New. York they weren't allowed to turn on light, bulbs or felt they weren't allowed. To had a family like seven. Kids so what they did Is friday, night they lit a shit ton of candles in this house and while they were, sleeping one of the candles got tipped over on an how burned the whole house, down killed everybody Because god didn't want him to have a light. Bulbond. Yeah mental, GYMNASTICS i think one of the one of the ones that blows my mind the. Most is the tradition Of. Kaparote this is, bizarre and again this Is Orthodox. Judaism. Okay so the idea is that humans have a sinful, Heart we have sin that accumulates in our heart and we need to be atoned. For so in The kappa road to, tradition you grab a, chicken live, chicken and you have a little. Booklet i'm not making it. Up you have a booklet and you say some sort of a chant or, prayer and this is supposed to transfer the iniquity of your heart into the. Chicken, okay so, you're, oh we have so sorry for my. Whatever i'm not going to look it up, now but there's a specific recitation that you. Do sin goes into the. Chicken then there's somebody on site with a knife or a razor. Blade they cut the head off the chicken and this is supposed to be a blood atonement to cleanse. You THEN i think most of the time they end up like throwing these the chicken bodies in the gutter that they just. Do it's horrible what they. Do but a lot of times they donate the chicken to poor people to feed the. Poor, well if you give poor people a chicken that's full of? Evil did they have to then get a fresh chicken and have a whole new kappaoat ceremony and then cut the head off the chicken and then they give that chicken to poor, people and then they need another chicken to a tone for that, chicken and on and on AND i have so many questions medal gymnastics and how who thinks that shit? Up who woke up one day and, said you know, WHAT i, Know i'm. Unworthy somebody get me a. Chicken, Awesome brett three one, Seven thanks for? Waiting are you there's?
Speaker 7: Zam can you use a?
Speaker 2: ROOSTER i would guess it's. Interchangeable you, know maybe The lord does not discriminate between nine chicken and nine nine hen and nine.
Speaker 8: Rooster with fourteen roosters and two.
Speaker 2: Chicken you live on a farm a, ranch well.
Speaker 7: Sort of now it's just just a. House BUT i got some.
Speaker 3: Chicken.
Speaker 8: Anyway i'm calling about my son and like we haven't.
Speaker 10: Raised him religious or. Anything he's, sixteen got his driver's license and he started going to a youth. Group AND i don't. KNOW i was Raised, Unitarian my wife was Raised, presbyterian went to A catholic private. School but we never, like we haven't been members of a. Church we haven't raised him in a church or. Anything but he just started going to a youth group On sunday. Nights he Knows i'm an. ATHEIST i don't know what to. DO i don't know how to get vince him out of. It but he started going to a youth group at the. School now he's going to a youth group On sunday. Nights and it's like a lot of his friends are all pretty, religious and he's got on his, phone you, know on your screen on your. Phone it's got like A bible vers on. There trust in The lord with all your heart because he's been reading The bible on his phone.
Speaker 2: Lately and that approach THIS i don't. Either my first thought is at the age of, sixteen in some ways the bird has. FLOWN i, mean you're looking at essentially a pre adult and somebody who is probably going to push back or resist if they feel you are resisting. Them you, KNOW i have a feeling your son is not going to receive, well you're, going what the hell does he feel safe to have conversations with you or does his guard UP.
Speaker 8: I had a conversation This. Saturday we were seeing righting up the chair, lift AND i was talking about how, well if a person is spiritually hungry leave, anything and trying to explain what that.
Speaker 2: MEANS i myself would approach, it not with declarative, statements but at first with, questions what's your perspective on where we as human beings came? From and how do we know? That what are your thoughts about? This AND i would do a little prep in, advance not loading the, questions but just kind of having a plan of attack to, say, well you, KNOW i myself have explored these AND i came up with a different. Answer But i'm. CURIOUS i think this is probably one of those scenarios where the more they feel they're being approached is a, peer the less defensive they will. Be the more you use questions instead of declarative, statements the less set back on their heels they might. Feel your son might, feel but you, know at, sixteen this is a ride that he may have to sort of finish on his. Own but it's very important that you live a, loud proud life according to your own values in full, view because if and when he does boomerang back out of the, church going, oh this is, bullshit because that often. Happens you, know somebody will spend a few years in the faith and then all of a sudden they'll, realize, oh wait a, minute you, know the newness is worn, off AND i Know i'm being manipulated and this makes no logical, sense and then they'll kind of snap. Back you can be ready for, that but approach your son as a friend with, questions and try to use language that keeps him off the. Defensive keep the conversation short and, pleasant and kind of see where it. GOES i think you're right, now IF i can use a religious, TERM i think you're kind of planting, seeds seeds of, doubt seeds of skeptical. Thinking, okay, yeah thanks a.
Speaker 8: LOT i think that sounds. Good just ask more questions Than i'm telling him to, say.
Speaker 2: And romain built in a. DAY i would not get sucked into a long, ass really, intense, knockdown drag out kind of. THING i, would especially at the, beginning in order to make sure that he knows it's not an. AMBUSH i think you keep it, light you keep him, short and then you talk about how stuff and then you return to it, later and then return to it again later and go deeper and deeper each. Time but at first, ESPECIALLY i just skip off this stuff for a few minutes and make sure he knows it's not an. Ambush, okay, okay thanks take, Care. Brett we'll see you. Later when you see the street epistemology, videos you know With Anthony, magnebasco. Etc you, know they don't go out and beat people or they have a baseball bat and they meet them on the. Street they just start, Casually, hey can we talk about a few things that's, Interesting and when they hear something that might be one of the stupidest things ever uttered by human, beings they don't look them in the eye and say that's one of the stupidest things that's ever been uttered by human. Beings they, say, well how did you get? There how do you know? That where'd that come? From? Well that's interesting to. Me what would you say to? This there is utility in trying to keep people from shutting. Down stand by short. BREAK i will be right back as we hear from more of our listeners after. This this is the audio of Our monday night live stream six Pm. Central it is a video stream supposedly usually exclusive to. YouTube bookmark the next. Show you can just go to YouTube dot com slash The Thinking atheist and we'll see You monday, night six O'clock, Central anna at four zero. Four thanks for. Waiting are you?
Speaker 5: There, yes, Yes i'm.
Speaker 2: Here we can hear each. Other what's on your?
Speaker 7: Mind what do you want to talk?
Speaker 5: ABOUT i am born And raisina In Eastern, europe In, romania and WHAT i want to talk today is what a dictatorship tels, like BECAUSE i have the experiences THAT i experienced that myself WHEN i was a. Child our former dictator we really like to be praised and we had to sing songs about. Him but With, trump it really feels worse than it was back. THEN i felt like people are burning reality here more than they did back In. Romania AND i feel like people don't realize that we're falling into that all of dictatorship and they are waiting for someone want to come and help them and save, them and there won't be anybody saiding because we have to save ourselves because our in our. LIVES i used to remember when my stud is to, say, well The americas are gonna come And they're gonna save, us and guess, what they. Didn't and it is so heartbreaking to me BECAUSE i have lost all of my, friends every single one To. Munga they want somebody to save them from. Poverty they want somebody to give them their here's a. Problem this is Mister. Trump he is a. Billionaire he's an accomplished. Billionaire he's gonna save. Me you, know why would he be here other than to save. Me he's just a good. Person AND i also think that there are also people here are, intoxicated are high on the on The american. Dream if you only work hard, enough you also can be a. Millionaire SO i think in their mind there are failed. Millionaires AND i have actually spoken to my friend AND i, said don't you think that you, know it's not fear that the billionaires get to have all the money and they pay you low wages and they get rid of you when they don't need you. Anymore and they, said, well let's not blame the. Rich that's what people told. Me and back home In, romania we used to have, this you, know class. Consciousness we all knew that we are in this dictatorship. Together so it does all THE i mean when the revolution, HAPPENED i was fourteen and my brother was, fifteen and it WAS i remember it Was, december and we were all, out my, mom my, dad my, brother, myself all the kids in my neighborhood were all out. Demonstrating and my father never even told me to stay home be. Safe you know why because they knew that it was the do or. Die if we don't get out of the stage shot, now we are never going to catch another. Break AND i see this, happening AND i raised your alarm AND i told, people, hey this is nothing to joke. About. This don't just sit and looking on and wait for. Somebody you have to get. Out and you know this is still, fresh you can still move. This but people are still apathetic and theyre had like this bystander where they just wait for somebody is to do. Something they don't even want to make phone calls to their elective. Representatives AND i just know this is going to slid into fascism so. Fast And i'm just so broken hearted because people are going to lose a lot and they don't know.
Speaker 2: IT i appreciate a perspective from the inside. Out it's weird seeing people worship their own chains and this lie that the billionaires actually care what happens to the. Commoners, RIGHT a guy with four hundred thousand million dollars cares about those people who are just scraping by paycheck to, paycheck trying to. Survive it's a weird, disconnect isn't, It? Anna it is mind.
Speaker 5: BOGGLING i have lost even people who Are. Democrats they tell me that you're just you don't. Understand they don't understand how our system.
Speaker 2: WORKS i Think Carl sagan talked about it, right how we're going to live in an information society where nobody knows how anything, works and we're going to end up being. Slaves AND i look all around AND i, think, boy that man is a. Profit And i'm hugging you from all the way over here In. Oklahoma my heart just breaks WHEN i think About. Romania But i'll tell, you you, know let's not give. Up BUT i think perspective so helps us determine the path, forward and your perspective is important. Here thanks for sharing, it and thanks for calling, well.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much for having me AND i really appreciate everything that you. Said and the last, thing even need to put one sign in your window THAT i love the usbas OR i LOVE pa or. Something so when people who have been fired from their jobs walk by a home and they see, you know, that, Son they, SAID i love you AND i see. You it's important BECAUSE i know. Everybody there's a lot of federal workers who are about to lose their jobs where they're losing their. Job SO i think it's so important to be there for one another and thank you for having.
Speaker 2: Me you're, precious and thanks for calling so. Much we'll see you. Later everybody put a heart in the chat For. ANNA i Heart anna such an important human perspective on the inhumanity that's going on around. Us so watch the Chant. ANNA a bunch of heart's coming your. Way let's. See i'm running out of time. Here i'm on the tennis court in forty. Minutes we're playing an indoor match, tonight BUT i do Have john on the. Line we'll see if we can get at least one more. In john at eight oh, Six are you.
Speaker 3: There, Yes i'm here as.
Speaker 2: Well i'm, well my. Friend let's talk what's on your.
Speaker 3: Mind first, OFF i just want to thank you for everything you've. Done i've been listening to your channel on and off for well over a. DECADE i remember exactly WHEN i, started thank, you thanks for. Everything it's an. Honor real, QUICK i might be the bad guy for this, episode BUT i wanted to go over basically the rise of like Secular trump. SUPPORTERS i, mean obviously you've already talked About Jill. Rogan Elon musk is a secular. Guy Dana, white the leader of THE, Ufc he's a secular, guy like a lot of these people do not have any religious connection and in effect bragged about their lack of, religion you, know in previous. Years and, SORRY i have like a bunch of points HERE i wanted to, make but one of the biggest ones was there's a book that just came out By Jonathan ROUCH i think his name. Is he's A jewish. Atheist but the point of this, BOOK i think it's Called Christianity's Broken bargain With, democracy and it talks about basically lowering rates Of christianity and how he believes that's a bad thing because he claims that despite certain areas becoming more, secular they're still susceptible to a lot of authoritarian things Like. Trump, obviously he specifically cites certain states in The Rust, Belt, nevada they're pretty lesser religious states compared to the you, know The Bible. Belt these are swing states that normally have gone blue fairly, often but now they've swung red despite being the least religious they've been in you, know. Decades what is your opinion on.
Speaker 2: That, WELL i think if someone is not, religious it doesn't necessarily mean to me that they have secular. VALUES i don't know The Gelon musk believes in any god, anywhere but he is not a man of secular. Values he does not honor state church. SEPARATION i don't think he gives a shit about The. CONSTITUTION i don't think he has one iota of respect for human, rights WHICH i would call secular. Values but we have seen some people who are not religious who have lined up Behind Donald. Trump you, know not believing in a god is not a guarantee that you're rational or a, skeptic or a humanist or even a good. Person BUT i, KNOW i have noticed that we do see more of a religious fervor Around Donald, trump and we saw more of a wider variety Around kamala during the. Election BUT i, mean are you asking me If i'm seeing a surge of people who are not religious who have Become.
Speaker 3: TRUMPERS i can only speak from my own experience with that Because i'm from to be, Fair i'm From, texas so it's kind of a painted pool of. People BUT i went to a wedding fairly, recently right after the, election and of the nine best men who are the GROOMSMEN i guess for this, wedding virtually all of them are not. Religious they were all kind of like your blue collar, cops police, officers military, guys so they kind of skew conservative, anyway but none of them are. Religious some of them go to, church and virtually all of them voted For. Trump so that's kind of my Point i'm trying to make here IS i feel like they have all the markings to you, know in, theory we always, said you, know With america becomes less, religious we would become more enlightened and so. Forth but my go to evidence is that's not necessarily the case because a lot of guys are not religious and they still Like.
Speaker 2: Trump, Sure i've seen that THERE'S. US i, mean they're relatively small but loud atheist group that the Big trumpers make a lot of noise and. WHATNOT i don't. Know i'm not a. SOCIOLOGIST i find that your anecdote is. Interesting it's a lot of how people formulate their values is. Cultural SO i think it's very possible that you can be in a culture that isn't overtly, religious nobody really cares that much about, it but it is more of a, conservative blue collar probably A i don't. KNOW i think we can speak to culture outside of religion and know that there is A trump. CULTURE i tend to think that most OF maga has a religious component to, it or they have a religious. Background there seems to. Be that's part of the. Puzzle now what's really interesting to me is just over a month into The trump, presidency we are finally starting to see some of those, people even the highly religious. Ones they're pissed because now they're starting to lose their. Jobs and the farmers that are, like what the hell happened to my? Subsidy and the, crops the foods rotting on the, warehouse doc and everybody's going. ON i didn't realize this shit would happen to, me right as they say they fucked, around and now they're finding. Out and even the religious. ONES i saw a sermon by a pastor and he made his whole Freaking sunday sermon about the insanity that was going all. Around and he's As christian as they. Come the guy was just a pulpit Pounding bible literalist. Believer SO i don't, Know it's it's messy out, there but it's SOMETHING i can certainly keep my eyes open for and to see IF i see more secular people who Are trumpers THAN i had. Anticipated but my experience has not been.
Speaker 3: That, Okay, YEAH i just wanted to get my perspective because the Assumption i've always thought, was you, know it was more enlightened people, get the less religious people, are that would cause more states to swing. Blue but it seems like at least in this, election despite being less religious, overall, supposedly it seems, WELL i, mean it's.
Speaker 2: Messy look how many people stayed, home, RIGHT i, mean we're not taking those people into. Account and if you look At kamala and Then Third, party more people voted Against Donald trump than voted for. Him SO i don't see a mandate in that. Vein but, AGAIN i would like To i'd like to actually see An Andrew whitehead or another sociology speak to, that because you do bring up an interesting. Possibility is there a shade of maggot that is overtly Non? Christian and what does that look? Like is it? Geographical is there some other metric in? PLAY i don't know something to think, About, John thanks for bringing it.
Speaker 3: Up, Man, yeah, THANKS i appreciate.
Speaker 2: It, no thanks for. Calling we'll catch you. LATER i must beg your, forgiveness my beautiful, friends BECAUSE i am jetting out the door for me And. Linus, Gracie, Katz natalie to you and yours much, love have a good, night to see.
Speaker 1: You Follow The Thinking atheist On facebook And twitter for a complete archive of podcasts and, videos products like mugs and t shirts featuring The Thinking atheist, logo links to atheist pages and, resources and details on upcoming free thought events and. Conventions log onto our, Website The thinkingatheist dot. Com