Speaker 1: Tessy around. This is the seventy seven WABC Mini Test. So our first guest.
Speaker 2: Is someone who's had one of the most visible and at times one of the most scrutinized jobs in American politics. He is a political strategist, a communications professional. He's an author, a commentator, and a commander in the US Navy Reserves, as well as former White House Press secretary who literally spent years at the center of some of the biggest headlines in the country. He also has his own show right here every Sunday morning at ten am, right here at WABC, called Full Court with Sean Spicer. Okay, so, Sean lots to talk about little time. You and I were both in the fox hole when the Boss took office in twenty seventeen, and back then it was absolute chaos. You were out there air free single day, literally trying to translate a hurricane into English. Now look at Trump forty seven. You got Caroline Levit. She's out in front throwing punches daily. Having lived that hell yourself. What's the one mistake that you think she's making that you would fix tomorrow?
Speaker 3: Uh? Interesting, I didn't think you'd go in that direction. I thought you'd ask me to.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, I actually think it's the opposite, which is they've had the opportunity to see I mean, in Caroline's case, four other press secretaries. I joked with Sarah, my successor, all the time about this, like if you knew now what you know, you knew then, what would you have done differently? And I could spend an hour talking to you, Michael, because again I'm answering this backwards because you'll get this. Like I remember having a conversation with then mister Trump, and he said to me, I'm going to be the most traditional president ever sewn. And I go, oh, perfect, I know how to do tell.
Speaker 2: It's going to make life easy, right yeah.
Speaker 3: And he was just like, don't worry. This is going to be so traditional. It's going to be awesome. And I was like, oh, okay, I had served in the Bush White House. I knew, like I'd seen my predecessors in my position, like Ari Fleischer and Dana and Tony Snow And I was like, I know how to do that, Like, if you want to be tradition. What I don't think I appreciated that Caroline does is how non traditional he is. He's willing to break down norms, do it his way. He's willing to punch back in a way that nobody ever has. And I don't think I ever thought, oh, I've got the green light to just go out and you know verbally just to be clear, like kind of verbally punch somebody in the face and push back the way that nobody else in history has done and that Donald Trump does like every day.
Speaker 1: So I think that the opposite is true.
Speaker 3: I think Caroline has been able to see four people go before her and say and also remember she served in forty five under Keyley Mcananey, so she came into this job with a level of preparedness that no one had.
Speaker 2: You know, it's funny because when I watch Caroline Levitt doing what she does, it reminds me, and I wanted the quote to be exact, so I punched it up here onto my phone. If the facts are against you, argue the law. If the law is against you, argue the facts. If the law and the facts are against you, pound the table and yell like hell.
Speaker 1: Now we see this every single day.
Speaker 2: I mean we're watching them the podium, pounding their fist on and on and on right. For example, look at the absurdity that's going on right now with Janine Piro and this reflecting pool.
Speaker 1: You've heard me.
Speaker 2: Probably a million times turned around and say it's complete nonsense. This is a maintenance issue, not a reflection on Trump, but it is a classic Trump's scenario where a contractor, by the way happens all the time, watched a job right, the lining peeled and in just instead of taking the loss on this minor maintenance issue, the boss kind of like demanded that there be a villain. Janine of course dropped the charges because the facts they didn't hold up, and instantly right he publicly claims that she choked and folded like an umbrella. From a comms perspective, how do you manage an administration where the press operation is literally like forced to treat a freakin peeling pool liner like it's some sort of a national security crisis just to protect I don't know what you we'll call it ego.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a few things to unpack there.
Speaker 3: First of all, you're right, I mean, I got to kick out of the fact that there are so many issues of national importance that a CNN, for example, won't touch, but yet they spent countless hours talking about paint peeling in a reflecting pool. But it's a Donald Trumpet project, so therefore merits rising to that level.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: But the one thing that I'll disagree with the analysis on is I think there's two aspects of this.
Speaker 1: Two things can be true at once.
Speaker 3: There can be vandals that have done things, and there can be a botched install installation. And I believe that this is a case of that being true, meaning that there are there is If you don't follow Emily Miller on Instagram, she has documented this stuff like nothing else, and she shows that there were cuts and there were things. So I believe, based on just what I've watched, that two things are true. There was probably some botched installation aspects of this, and some people cut this where I think Janine had some issues. And this is to your point about the comms piece of this. When they got this canoe dude, Olympic rower or canoe or whatever he is, yeah, and they caught him, they rushed out and remember it was Janine in the press conference, yes, who said this was unacceptable.
Speaker 1: He is guilty and dah dah, da da dah.
Speaker 3: And so she owned it, and so if you're Donald Trump, he goes, great, you you you just.
Speaker 1: Made the case.
Speaker 3: You said that this was van and then when she walks it back and says we're dropping the case, I think he felt like, wait a second. You My US attorney for DC told me we had this guy dead to rights and we're going to prosecute him. And now you make me look like a fool because I got behind you.
Speaker 1: So there's a little bit of this that's it's not a clean hit.
Speaker 3: The other thing, Michael, and this is where your legal expertise comes in that I don't have. I get Janine at some point had to go in front of that judge and she knew, like I listened to the rower, dudes, lawyer i II is in and he was like, dude, we had we had photographic evidence of what it looked like the day before, the day aft. We could show chronologically that there was some contractor error.
Speaker 1: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: Janine knew that, and so she knew that if I go into court that the judge is gonna through discovery, they're going to show the photographs and I can't look like I'm lying, right because I'll get in trouble as a federal as a as a prosecutor. But the question I have is could they have just dropped the charges and not sort of like she made the case that he wasn't guilty, like yep, introducing Burgham's stuff in the contract.
Speaker 1: I don't.
Speaker 3: If it were me, I would have done two things very differently. Number One, I would have just tried to do this much quieter, a twenty page filing where you basically admit that you botched this probably wasn't the smartest thing. Two, I don't get the sense, and you know this better than anybody read him in I think he was shocked when they dropped it and claimed that it was the Interior Department not knowing the contractor. I think that they need She should have gone to Trump. And again, I don't know if you can legally do this.
Speaker 1: This is why I'm can. But she's going to send him, mister President tomorrow. I have to go to the judge.
Speaker 3: Their team has discovery showing that the contractor admits.
Speaker 1: Fault blah blah blah blah blah.
Speaker 3: I in duty bound to share with the judge that we know this and therefore this has to happen I want you.
Speaker 1: To know that, and so we're going to say the filing. Now.
Speaker 3: In my experience, Trump would have said, here's what I want you to say instead, can you say that? And they might have gone back and forth, because I learned that the hard way. Sometimes you say something he says, to be my friend, he says, why did you say that?
Speaker 1: That's not what I believe.
Speaker 3: I don't get the sense that they read him in on what they had to do, and.
Speaker 1: That was a big no.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 1: I could have told you how that would have gone.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you and I both, so what my opinion is what they should have probably done. And agreed with you that they should have dropped the case. When you are preparing for this, even after they had filed, the first thing that they needed to do is to continue to look at all of the documentation to ensure a victory. Very much like what they did with John Bolton. They knew they had Bolton dead to write, and so they pursued it, and they will pursue it to the point where he will probably, you know, either do some prison time, war I don't know, maybe get off because of these national security secrets.
Speaker 1: Who knows.
Speaker 2: But they got him dead to right, and they proved what Trump was saying all along.
Speaker 1: And this gets back to it.
Speaker 3: By the way, this gets you're getting to my other point, right, which is they know Emily Miller has documented vandalism.
Speaker 1: What the media did was they ran with this.
Speaker 3: Narrative when they dropped the charges, says Trump was wrong. I don't believe that's true. I believe that they might not have this guy dead to rights because he could prove that he was. He was just looking or something. But we do know Emily's video showed that there was vandalism. The better message would be, we know the President's right, there have been vandals that have done this in this particular case.
Speaker 1: We can't get him.
Speaker 3: And therefore we're letting him off, but we are still discuits, to your point, still pursuing the other folks.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: See, for me, like what I would have said to him would be, look, this is a maintenance issue, and I get it. You know, they're trying to discredit you every single way. You know, from sunrise to sunset. Don't let it happen. It is a maintenance issue. It is not a national security issue. It's not important. It's no more important than I don't know if they didn't fill up the guess tank to the beast, it makes no difference. It's something that could be resolved. Bring back the contractor JJ Kafaro, who, by the way, is a competent contractor. I know the guy. He's done thousands of swimming pools. That's exactly what this was. My opinion. Nobody cut three hundred and fifty yards worth of that reflection pool or whatever the distance is. You know, they just didn't do it right. Let him do it again. Pull it a day, you know, leave it alone. But now they had to just keep pushing and it just makes again the issue.
Speaker 3: But Michael, the problem is this is where sometimes the people that surround the president, yes, screw him and they put him in a box because they told him here's what it is. We've got this, and then what is he going to do. I rely on people all the time. You have people that you rely on I do, and when they come to you and say, hey, this happened or that happened, you go, oh, okay.
Speaker 2: He's going to run with it. We know the president, right, but the president, well enough, I would have.
Speaker 3: Paid money, by the way to be in that meeting with Doug Bergham, the Interior Secretary, and Jeane Piro where she brought you know, they show the video of her carrying two boxes of documentation into the meeting with the president, and from at least the media reports they say that were leaked by the way, which I always love the fact when there were five people in a meeting and they have multiple sources, which makes it seem like, okay, there's like five people in a room.
Speaker 1: They claim that three of the sources, that they have three sources. So you know, the Matthew that sixty you're six sixty six.
Speaker 3: So I just but I have a feeling that she went at him hard and like, here's this documentation, here's this proof, and when you spun him up, then you put it on my plate.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know, I want to move on and ask you this because looking down the road, you got j. D. Vance, who thinks that he's the heir apparent. But but you got Marco Rubio who's playing the foreign policy diplomat Trump. He doesn't like sharing the spotlight, as you know, or at this moment picking a successor, who do you think actually has the stomach and the staying power to inherit and I hate to call it this, but I'm going to the Maga crown or do you think everybody currently kissing the ring just waiting, I don't know, to get thrown under the bus.
Speaker 3: So a couple of things. No one's gonna get the crown. I think you might get to borrow or rent it.
Speaker 2: You think there's any chef for that one?
Speaker 1: You switch parties?
Speaker 2: But can I get it from I.
Speaker 3: Think that that that ship has sailed you. Maybe maybe you know I was gonna make out like a Harriet a Megan joke.
Speaker 1: But anyway, I think the reality is this what people have to understand.
Speaker 3: And this is why I always I like doing the show that I do, because understanding the rules of the game are like understanding baseball or football or any sport where like if you are watching it, if you want to understand it, and you know, like knowing what a foul is or off sides or you know, out of bounds or or an illegal play like it matters. And and so in the game of politics, understanding.
Speaker 1: That matters.
Speaker 3: And so for the for example, right now, you've got a scenario where jd.
Speaker 1: Vance is the current vice president. He's the chair of the Republican finance.
Speaker 3: And so it's his two lose and the only person there's two people, one Jadvan taking himself out of that race or Donald Trump changing the trajectory are the only two things that can change that outcome.
Speaker 1: So it is JD.
Speaker 3: Vance's crown to give up or to accept if Marco Rubio had any chance, a he has to get out of the administration or have Donald Trump say you are the guy.
Speaker 1: But those are the only two scenarios. Or JD.
Speaker 3: Vance just saying hey, I want to you know, be a father or whatever. But that's the only way that it's not Vance's Yeah.
Speaker 2: So you know, final question here, I want you to do me a favor and help me by taking a look at what's happening right here, for example, in New York City with Mayor Moron Mondani, the DSA, you know, taking over the narrative. You know, President Trump loves a boogeyman. I hope you acknowledge that. And he's out there literally slapping a communist label, socialist label on this entire move mint from a White House press strategy standpoint, it's weaponizing the bully pulpit against this fringe radical group. Do you think it's actually effective at driving moderate voters back to the GOP. Or do you think that picking fights with these guys just gives them the national platform that they're craving.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think it's brilliant. There are they are the way me too. Okay, because there's three things.
Speaker 3: Number one, what is Republican's strategy for success?
Speaker 1: Three fold?
Speaker 3: They need to remind people what they've done for them, what they will do for them, and how crazy the other side is. So this is part of the three legged stool that they have to. Second, it's true Mondommie's nuts. I mean this is he literally, as you know, just talked about privatizing or governmentizing supermarkets and making them thirty percent less.
Speaker 1: Short requiring an idea, of course, but this is what is it?
Speaker 2: You don't need by the way, sure you don't need need an ID to vote vote, but you need an ID to buy tomatoes.
Speaker 3: By the way, I'll take that one step further. Remember the Democrats claim that poor people can't afford an ID to vote, that's why we but apparently poor people who can't eat uh need one to buy food. So if I just I find the whole thing. If anyone ever stops and thinks about the democratic argument.
Speaker 1: It's nuts.
Speaker 3: The idea that you claim you can't afford one, so therefore you wouldn't wouldn't need one to vote, but you're so hungry that you have to have an ID to get the subsidized food, and that makes sense. That's again, full stop. This is socialism. It is communism, don't I think the President's absolutely right, and I actually think it's not fringe. I mean you look, you just had what two three members of Congress elected in New York, you had a member in Colorado, You've got Mondami in Michigan, and you're gonna get Francesca I'll say you yeah, I'm sorry. My point though, is this isn't a fringe movement. This is the Democratic Party. This is where they are going. This is the growing movement. This is where AOC and Bernie Sanders. I think the worst thing that we could do is actually to minimize it.
Speaker 1: This is real.
Speaker 3: It's an existential threat to not just our democracy but our country as a whole. I think we should be warning people of this and making it very clear that this is what they want to do. Cancel the Senate, cancel and abolish the presidency, pack the court, abolish, ize, defund the police, subsidize every I mean like this is full of nuts.
Speaker 1: Francesca Hang, by the way, who will be the.
Speaker 3: Democratic nominee for governor of Wisconsin, wants to cancel Thanksgiving.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I'm just saying, like, this isn't.
Speaker 3: Some random like city councilmen in you know, some random borough. This is the mayor of New York City. This is the nominee for the US Senate in Michigan. This is the nominee for governor in Wisconsin. This is soon to be several members of Congress. It's not fringe. This is the new Democratic Party.
Speaker 2: Sure, and thank you so much for joining me. Appreciate you, my brother. I will see you when you're back.
Speaker 1: Here in rats on the show. Brother, it's awesome.
Speaker 2: Appreciate you and anytime I understand if.
Speaker 3: You get in the cab these days in New York City, Michael Cohen's face is everywhere, so hopefully it's just it helps my show there on WABC on Sunday.
Speaker 2: It isn't seeing my face under the bus Sean. Thank you, my brother.
Speaker 1: Take care, see you soon, you bet