Speaker 1: F Aklia Egila Mlina De Saren and Daryl Las Fad Auguste Downigg and Trio law Is fad Lunasa august E Niece Mona Ree Kuigna, the Lorna car Rock Yo Breaver like Yo Kayla carried in the Alina Sessions draw the Augus gimebiuk t Tailing Augusturt three Statia by the Scratch Sharon Shannon Modre Solah Andy Irvine Quila August Tilla Knocked Up Sayer Nashka August the falgerv rock Is Vieder Olafhevna Alex Clor On the flow a Dublin punka ETOs Last Dublin City Fla Akorla Carrack Vlaghlia.
Speaker 2: This is a radio add about about.
Speaker 3: Cat Let's go again.
Speaker 2: Sorry, lost my place there, okay.
Speaker 3: Take two.
Speaker 2: This is a radio add about T junctions. When you're at a T junction, always look twice for motorbikes. Look right, look left, and then look right again.
Speaker 4: There are no second takes in life. Check twice for motorbikes at T junctions.
Speaker 5: A message from the Road Safety Authority ce R S A dot.
Speaker 6: A cast Classics in West Cork. It's simply known as the Murder. In nineteen ninety six, French film producer Sophie Tuscanda Plantier is found dead near her holiday home. The police suspect one man, but they can't make a charge stick and he refuses to leave, becoming the embodiment of everyone's unsettled nerves.
Speaker 5: For people in West Cork, the murder that changed the character of their peaceful home has become about something completely different.
Speaker 6: To find out more about West Cork and all acas classics at the acast dot com Forward.
Speaker 2: Slash Classics.
Speaker 3: Warning, do not be afraid. This month's Where Did the Road Go? Is sponsored by the following awesome individuals, Greg Ross, Allison Cook, Super Inframan thirty six Dingo, Yvonne Williams and Michael Frisque. Thank you so much much for helping make this show possible.
Speaker 7: Transmission Star Welcome to Where Did the Road Go? Join us as we wander off the path and explore lost history, consciousness, the para normal, unexplained mysteries, alternative thought, and much more. We are present on the web at Where to the Roadgo dot com. Now Here is your host, Sriah.
Speaker 3: Welcome to this edition of Where Did the road going tonight. I have joining me mister Saxon super Inframan. Hi, everybody, and you have brought us a newcomer I have.
Speaker 8: I have.
Speaker 9: This is a friend of Quinn's of mine that I have met through a few different avenues.
Speaker 8: Nathan around.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, everybody, So tell us a little bit about yourself. Nathan.
Speaker 8: Well, my name's Nathan Brown. I actually I published under the name Nathan Robert Brown. I am a mythologist and a writer, which is really just a fancy way of saying that I'm poor. You know, I've been. I've been writing mythology books for about the last twenty something years, you know. And I also run a shop where I make weird stuff for people.
Speaker 3: Define define weird stuff?
Speaker 8: Well, I make I make zombie apocalypse baseball bats, practice weapons, I make self defense weapons, I make vampire stakes, I make core props. I make I kind of a hodgepodge of stuff. Yeah, it's called warrior wooden props. The thing, you know, I make all kinds of stuff. The thing that were my shop seems to be mostly known for is making weird baseball bats. I make a lot of really weird baseball bats, but I make all kinds.
Speaker 3: Of stuff, ah okay, and the website for that.
Speaker 8: You can just go to eBay or and look for Warrior wooden props. The easiest thing to do is just go to eBay search for vampire steakes, and my my shop's probably going to be the first thing that comes up. I have the widest selection of vampire hunter steaks you will find anywhere on the internet. All Right, I watched way too much Hammerhouse of Horror when I was a kid.
Speaker 3: And you said you're a mythologist. M did you go to school for mythology or yeah?
Speaker 8: Yeah, I have a master's degree in English with a focus in world mythology. I studied under a doctor, Evans last Smith, who was a student of Joseph Campbell's, who was kind of if anyone remembers the Bill Moyer series from back, you know, the eighties and nineties, you know, he wrote Faces of God.
Speaker 10: He was kind of the authority on mythology in the eighties nineties.
Speaker 8: A lot of his work inspired George Lucas when he did Star Wars, and you know, it has inspired quite a few movies and and and and books over the years. And so when I got out of the Marine Corps, and I found myself in a tiny town in North Texas called which is called Falls, Texas, and and everything I had tried to do for the first year I was out of the Marine Corps did not work. And so someone suggested I tried going to college in this small town, and I went there and and enrolled. And I've been a mythology nerd my entire life. And so the moment I found out that one of the English professors was a student of Joseph Campbell's, I harassed this poor man relentlessly, like like I would chase him down to ask him questions. I wasn't even in any of his classes yet, because I was a freshman, so I wasn't even taking any of his classes. But here's this kid who's just like over enthusiastic ADHD kid, chasing him down every day to ask him mythology questions. And to the point where one time I was turning down the hallway to his office and he was coming out of his office. He turned to the left to look at me, turned back to his office, went back inside, and closed the door.
Speaker 10: He was like, Nope, not today, not dealing with this kid today.
Speaker 8: But anyway, he and I ended up later writing a book. We wrote a Complete Idiots Guide to World Mythology, which is kind of where I started my career. I started working for the Complete Idiot's Guide series while I was in college, wrote a bunch of Idiots Guides, which I was well qualified for, and wrote a bunch of those. And then then as I got kind of more established and and you know, the one thing when you write about stuff like mythology, degrees kind of matter, you know. And so it wasn't until I kind of got my bachelorsion started doing my my graduate work. Uh, and I started getting more like standalone titles and I I did, uh like these kind of where mythology that I did. Uh. They had me there was a show on the CW called Supernatural, Yeah, Munch fun Time. It was very popular, so they had me do a book on the mythology for that TV show and uh, and then I did another one on the Grim TV series that was on MPC for a while, and uh, and then I have right now, I've been doing a series of encyclopedias for DK Publishing, uh, which is owned by Penguin Random House. They you know, there used to be a whole lot of different publishers. These days, there's there's still a lot of publishers. They're all owned by about the same three or four big ones of course. Uh. But d DK Publishing is the is their their European one of their European publishing houses. So I did uh we did. First we did one on Supernatural Creatures about two years ago, and then last year we did Legendary Heroes, and then this year we're doing The Unexplained, which is all about just weird us.
Speaker 9: Okay, all right, yeah, you know before we jump into some of that too.
Speaker 11: Uh, Nathan, you did a book on Brilith.
Speaker 8: Right, yeah, yeah, that was Yeah.
Speaker 10: My master's thesis was on a little rape of Lilith.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that was that.
Speaker 10: That That actually was a big passion project of mine.
Speaker 12: It was.
Speaker 8: It was also the reason I was chosen to do the Mythology of Supernatural because Lilith was a character on there, and they wanted somebody who and it was a very popular character, and so they wanted somebody who kind of knew the history of that. And Lilith is one of those weird characters, like he's been around a kid, you not, you guys, She's been around longer than anyone else in mythology. Like, there's not a single mythological character I can point to that it is older than she is.
Speaker 10: We haven't writing like, yeah, she like the oldest myth that we have.
Speaker 8: She's mentioned in it, Like that's like the oldest written down myth that we have in Kunea forms, like five thousand years old. Her name is in it, and uh and it's in a creation myth kind of a thing about the Halloopu tree. It's a don't get me started on that. But anyway, Yeah, so I wrote, But the thing I always found weird about Lilith is when I when I would research her in mythology, it's always either like her from a judaic point of view, or her from this Marian point of view, or or her from the pop culture point of view. But there was there wasn't a whole complete history of that character. So so I basically started from the beginning and worked up to the modern day and just wrote pretty much a five thousand year history of Lilith.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 8: And and yeah. Then after I graduated, or when I when I started to do my doctoral work, which I didn't finish, there was a publisher that offered to publish it for me, and and I allowed them to do. So what they didn't tell me was they were going to turn around and charge one hundred dollars.
Speaker 10: A copy because it was an academic of course.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and it was probably one of the few times I regretted allowing someone to publish my work.
Speaker 3: So, uh, what, what where did Lilis start?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 10: So, so Lilis started in in ancient Mesopotamia.
Speaker 8: It's the oldest. We don't know where when she began. Which you have to remember is when myths are written down. Any stories actually are written down a lot of times. They've existed as an oral tradition long before anyone decided to write them down.
Speaker 3: Sure.
Speaker 8: Sure, you have Knea form, which is the oldest kind of written form that we know of, which was you know, writing basically these wedge shaped pictographic images into wet clay tablets, and very few of those tablets survive. Most of what we have survives in fragments, or we have cylinder seals, which are stone seals that were carved that we got a lot of those. So Lilis shows up in the oldest myth that we have, which is the Hooko Tree myth, which is about this goddess and Nana.
Speaker 10: There's a lot of Genesis elements in this myth.
Speaker 8: So this goddis Nana, goes into her holy garden where there's and and finds this tree that's washed up on the shores of the Euphrates, and she pulls the tree into her holy garden and plants it and leaves it there for ten years to mature, at which point she's planning to harvest the tree to build a series of objects. And all these objects would have been seen as like symbols of civilization at that time, things like a bed, a chair, a door, you know, like like you ever remember that most of the world at that time was still living a very nomadic lifestyle. The idea of land ownership was was still kind of a new concept, right that was that was and a lot of humans didn't get that concept. That was really kind of in the cradle of civilization in Mesopotamia is kind of where that whole idea of like this land is mine and we own it, and we were going to put a wall around it so to protect the people inside of it, which became you know, a big lure because moving back then to get you murdered. But anyway, so in this in this myth, Lilis comes back after ten years and there's a there's an onzu bird living in the branch. There's a there's a serpent that cannot be tamed coiled around the roofs, which is interesting because you also have that imagery in like the x Raisal Tree of.
Speaker 10: You know, the Viking and Norse mythology.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and uh.
Speaker 10: And then in the in the trunk of the tree is the is the dark Maiden.
Speaker 8: Lilith is there. And so Inana, who's who is the most powerful godess in that pantheon, just basically sits down and starts crying like she can't do anything. She goes and gets her brother Gilgamesh, who you may or may not have heard of, the Emesh and he shows up with a tree with a with an axe that weighs like three hundred pounds and uh and hits the tree with it, and the onzu bird flies away, and the the surpent that cannot be tamed slitherers off. And here's where it gets interesting. And it says that Lilith flew off into the wild and uninhabited land and that's important for a reason. It's it's one of those things that seems kind of anocy, but it's actually very a very important statement in that whole myth, because gods in that period of time were geographical. If you wanted to worship a god, you went to where that god was right, you had, you had shrines in certain cities. Each city had a god that was its own. So you wanted to be like a worship her of that god, you went to that city. So by by basically having a myth that excelled Lilith into the wild and uninhabited lands, most likely there was a cult of Lilith that existed in that area when when the Assyrians wrote this down, and so they were trying to say, Okay, your goddess isn't here anymore, so if you want to worship her, you got to go out into the wild and uninhabited lands, which, as I mentioned earlier, was not safe. Uh Like it's not like now. There's something I always have a hard time explaining to people is what it's what we're talking about as a world with no social services, Like there's no police, there's no law, there's not even law, like there's not and codified law system in place. Like if I'm traveling from one city to another and I come across somebody else and they decide they want to kill me, enslave my family and take all my stuff, that that's there's no nothing to stop them except for me. Right, Like, there's there's no police to call. And if they and if they do all that, guess what, there's no law that's going to like like get justice for that later. It's just going at all. Yeah, right, And so that was a very like dangerous thing. And so well, here's the crazy thing about it. And this is one of the part of my thesis to kind of kiss some people off. But I ended up being right. Uh. I believe that what happened was the worship versu of Lilith left and they went to other places in the world and established her cult elsewhere. Mmmm Lamia, for example, in Greek mythology, very similar to Lilith and Lamia in the Southern Mesopamian dialect, is Lam is another name for Lilith. M Lilith is also associated with childbirth and the killing of babies and the death of Davies and Colli in the Hindu mythology. Has several elements associated with lilith as well. You also have like pictures of or or representations of lilith that have extreme similarities to similar representations of Klamia and other figures in crete Greece and in India. Here's the fun part. When I said that, I got made fun of by some of the other academics because they said, there is no evidence that the ancient Mesopamians and the ancient Hindus or Hindi people ever traded, right, Yeah, and there wasn't at that time, but I said, I firmly believed that they did. They did interact, even though we didn't have any evidence yet. Here's what's crazy. Two years later, somebody was going through a drawer at the Museum of London found the cylinder steal from Ansia, Mesopotamia, and guess what was on it?
Speaker 10: A freaking elephant was on it.
Speaker 8: Here's the problem with that. There are no elephants in the Middle East, right, that's where there are elephants.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in India. I always love the certainty that people have when we're when we don't know, we don't know anything really, like we're just putting puzzle pieces together, right, and that.
Speaker 8: Was the great things. I felt very validated because you know, like I, it basically proved because the only way they would have known what an elephant looked like was either someone went to India and saw one or someone from India came there with one. Africa would have been of another possibility, but it would have been it would have made even less desperate to have come from Africa because of the geography and the distance of the time. The Hindukush people would have made far more sense. And so yeah, so I wrote, so yeah, that, but that's where she first shows up, is that that Lupu street myth, which is the oldest known myth that we have, Like I said, it's about five thousand years old. And then she shows up again, you know in in Judaic mythology, and the Judaic people were originally Semitic tribes in the Middle East at that time, and they definitely interacted with the people of Uru and Uruk and possibly even with the Chatah people that no longer exist existed by this time, which is where I believe probably Lillis came from. Is there was there was a there's a civilization we referred to as Chattahyat that existed before any of this stuff got written down. We know they existed. We also know they were wiped out from the evidence we have. Most likely they were matriarchal. They had never known war. They had no army.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 8: Men women were in charge of the government. Men handled public men, men handled public works.
Speaker 14: Uh.
Speaker 8: They had nothing but peace until the first time they came across a horse riding guy, god worshiping military cultures. And then they got murdered and enslaved man. And yes, you know it's unfortunate, but you know, they they didn't even have they had you know, they didn't have.
Speaker 10: Fortifications, they didn't have weapons.
Speaker 8: They they they they didn't make it. And uh. And I believe that's probably where the Lilith myth began. I think they're a little cult probably started there. Also. I want to make one thing clear when I say cult, because I think a lot of people, especially in the Western mindset, misunderstand that word. When I say cult, I don't mean like the way we mean that in the modern sense, uh, in the monern sense. When we say a cult, we kind of mean like a weirdoga booga religion. Right when you're talking about ancient ancient religions. We we a cult because there there's so many religions in the ancient world, like like we refer to each different one as a cult, even though that not but not in the modern sense of that word, like the followers that I have.
Speaker 3: Exactly well, I mean, cult just means people who follow a similar belief system, doesn't it.
Speaker 8: It does, but but in the modern vernacular it's kind of taken on a negative pens mean, like like, well, it's not a real religion, it's just a cult. Right.
Speaker 10: I don't want people to think I'm downplaying, you know, those religions.
Speaker 3: H So, she she was one of the first female archetypical entities out there.
Speaker 8: Yeah, and my I think she was the original goddess, is what I believe.
Speaker 10: I don't I can't prove that yet. One of these days maybe, but you know, I believe that she was.
Speaker 8: You know. The one thing that I find interesting is that that the Jews integrated her into their genesis. Myth asked the first wife of Adam right, right, and uh, and she disobeyed Adam and was cursed by God for disobeying Adam and and and tossed out into the land of Nod, where where Cain would later later also be tossed. She ended up like being cursed to give birth to like one hundred still born babies every day until she reached the Red Sea. And then God sent three angels. And these are old school angels. These aren't guys in togas with wings. These were like like things with like twenty heads and you know, five thousand eyes, and they're they're very scary looking things. He's been three angels to her to basically give her a chance to repent and come back and play ice, and basically gave all three of them the finger and uh and jumped into the Red Sea and became the the wife of one of the demon kings of the sea at that time, the slanted serpent, the Lebason, and and that became but just she was demonized. And by that at that point, and then she became in the jew Jewish and Hebrew mythology, she became a demon. She became a thing to be like feared. And even to this day, a lot of a lot of Orthodox Jews they have palaceman's and symbols that they wear were right on the ground when a woman.
Speaker 10: Is in Labor having birth to ward off Lilith.
Speaker 9: Question real quick too, because you know in some of the old you know, oldest stuff with the l.
Speaker 8: You know, you have Astrara mm hmmm.
Speaker 9: You know, do you think there was an influence of Lilith on that and they kind of like split her in two?
Speaker 8: I mean, that's the thing. Al Yeah, I mean it's definitely a possibility with with older gods. That happened quite a bit. Like if you look at you know, like in Norse mythology, for example, you had yet here in four who has some similarities, but they were they were distinctly separate heroes, right, And then some of Tear's stories started, Tear's name started getting replaced by Thor's name, you know, and and then later Tear kind of became this this minor figure. Thor became this huge figure. And you know, you and you do see that where you know, you'll you see the opposite happen, where you'll have a god who maybe just has too much going on and kind of gets split up into multiple you know, I don't know if characters is the wrong word, but multiple deities, But yeah, I definitely think that's possible. And in the Rape of Lilis I, which, by the way, I give away for free now, So if anybody wants that book, you can just email me and I'll send you a PDF of it.
Speaker 10: Don't don't pay for It's only one hundred pages.
Speaker 3: Did you have another question sexon?
Speaker 9: I think that was my big one with Lillis, because I'm I get so fascinated with this because you know, like I think probably the first time I heard about Lilith was like, you know, and.
Speaker 11: I think Dathan and I are about the same age. I remember like high school and the Lilith there and like, oh, yeah, this is Adam's wife.
Speaker 9: Before he was created, and you know, she was always portrayed as like, you know, almost like what she was like Harry and some of the imagery I think I'd seen and stuff like that, like almost.
Speaker 3: Like a.
Speaker 9: Oh my gosh, what's the word I'm looking for, Not like so squats or anything like that, but like a green man sort of limital figure.
Speaker 11: And it's just fascinating to me to like see how far back this goes.
Speaker 8: Of course, yeah, and that that dark aspect of her has been around from the beginning. And my one of the things I talked about in the Rape of Lewis when I when I discussed her, is that I think originally she was a whole goddess in the sense that she was womb and toom he was life and she is death, right, But then the idea of a woman dealing out death or a female or feminine figure dealing out death and didn't sit great with the sky god worshiping like warrior culture, right, so those powers kind of got got stripped away, and she was demonized, and the the the fertility goddesses were around. You know that we want the women to be fertile, you know, we want we want them to be associated with the earth and childbirth and all those things. But if she, if they have any any destructive power at all, that's not acceptable and that's evil. And so you know, Lila's kind of over the span of five thousand years, just got more and more demoted and more and more demonized. That's why the name, that's why the title of the books rapel Bilis, because I feel like it's just been you know what amazes me is that they've done their best to get rid of her. If you even look at Genesis one and Genesis two, there are contradictions in those two books because they deleted her from them. But they did a really bad editing job.
Speaker 3: So I mean, let's be fair. That's most of the modern text at this point.
Speaker 8: Right, Uh, you know, like, for example, it says, you know, God created man, man and woman, or God created humans man and woman. He created them, right, Yeah, then suddenly there's just Adam in the garden and Eve comes later, So why why did why was that man and woman? He created them? But then a woman doesn't get created later on. Yeah, they did a really crappy editing job, but they they they they've tried to get rid of her, and that's kind of the thing I find also amazing about her is that that for five thousand years, multiple cultures and religions have tried to delete her from existence, and she has stopped them at every turn.
Speaker 10: He's still managed to be remembered, which I find kind of awesome.
Speaker 3: And I would think any patriarchal culture is going to be afraid of a strong matriarchal.
Speaker 8: Goddess, oh for sure.
Speaker 3: So I mean there's there's an obvious reason to vilify her to those people.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, and go ahead, Oh, I was just gonna say, and that myth is a really good example of what I like to call my god, beat up your God. Would you find a lot of those myths in the ancient world up until the Middle Ages. Really if you even look at like the Saint Patrick is a great example of that. I love I love the Saint Patrick myth. My family's Irish, Scottish, Engoistutch and Germans, so we have a lot of alcoholics. But but Patrick is a good example. You have the whole idea that he came to Ireland and taste all the snakes away. The problem is they're never worry any stakes in Ireland. But right, but you know, that's the kind of story that it's like, well, if your gods were so powerful, why didn't they get rid of all the day? You know, our god came along and got rid of all the snakes so that you're welcome, you know, And you find a lot of those kinds of stories. Uh. You know, if you look at the Hindus again and and the and Zeroastrians for example, it's a really cool like like contrast between the the the Zeroastrian religion and the Hindu religion because the word for angel in Zeroastrianism is the word for demon and Hinduism and the word for angel, and Hinduism is the word for demon and Zeroastrianism. They didn't get along.
Speaker 11: I feel like there was some animosity there.
Speaker 8: Oh, absolutely, there was so much they were they were throwing shade left right at each other. Those Zeroastrians and Hindus did not get along at all, mainly because zero Astrianism was the first monotheistic religion, the first like one god religion, and the Hindus not a fan of that concept, right, So they they kind of, you know, like they that was kind of what you ended up with, uh, with them. And and I've always like deva, which is where we get the word for devil and Zeroastrianism.
Speaker 10: Deva is a is a demon more or less.
Speaker 8: Uh, It's not exactly, but it's it's that's the closest where we have, whereas a deva in Hinduism is like a like an almost like a divine being.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 8: So I've always found that interesting that it's like they're like, no, no, no, there ain't there the angels of that religion are actually demons.
Speaker 10: You're being fooled, And the other religion is saying the exact same thing.
Speaker 9: About them that's really good, like propaganda and branding, you know, oh absolutely, yeah, are there?
Speaker 3: Do you see any connections with Lilith and Hecate?
Speaker 8: He? I mean you can, you can any any warrior or or or destructive goddess. You can definitely find links. I've never investigated a link to at least if I have, I've my old brain has forgotten at this point. Get I wrote The Rape of Lilis about twenty years ago. So yeah, so yeah, but they but you know, that's that's the thing about Lilis. I found some interesting that you could find parallels, and I do in the book draw parallels between her and several other mythological goddesses that are in multiple religions or multiple cultures I should say not religions, but like what I believe happened when when they were told they had to leave the cities, they had two choices. They could go easter, they could go west. There weren't a lot of other places to go. North was not go There were very bad people living north of where they were.
Speaker 10: They didn't want to go north.
Speaker 8: South was the ocean, and in west was the ocean. So some of them I think went east ended up among the Hindus.
Speaker 10: I do believe though, that some of them did go west, and they did end up at the coast of the Mediterranean. And at that time there were.
Speaker 8: There were small pockets of Greek who were seafaring to that shore of what we.
Speaker 10: Would now call Israel uh and and Lebanon muh.
Speaker 8: But they were there, we know they were there. So what I believe happened is they got to the shore, hooked up with these Greeks and and got on their boat and went across the sea, and they ended up in places like Crete where we have statues of a snake of a goddess holding snakes in her hands with her boobs out. You know, that's that's absolutely Lilith. I can show you a relief of Lilith boobs out holding snakes in her hands in the exact same position as the as those statues from Creek, which that can't be a coincidence. Yeah, yeah, you have that oddly specific Yeah, yeah, it's it's it's the turning of the head, the the position of the body holding three snakes in his hand. Like there's just like there's two many things. The only thing missing are the are the the the bird talent, feet and wings, you know, because that's Lilith is associated with with owls preach owl and she's also associated with cats. Those are her her kind of animals. She was mostly associated with with lions and tigers and large cats, but at that time she was also somewhat associated with the on zoo because the on zoo is kind of a weird like I mentioned it with the hoope treemans, it's kind of a weird creature. It's it's part lion, part eagle. But the problem is, no one really ever in writings, said what the proportions were. Oh so so in in in like like drawings and statues. Sometimes it's got a human head and a lion's body and wings. Sometimes it's got eagles wings. Sometimes it's got a lion's head and an eagle's body. Sometimes it's just a lion with an eagle head and away like it's no one, no one really uh seemed to know exactly what an onzu bird like. We knew it was part eagle and part lions, but no one mentioned like which parts were which.
Speaker 10: So there's the mainconsistencies in this depiction.
Speaker 9: Okay, oh yeah, I looked up the ONU Bird and I'm like, oh, I've seen that in like the you're like statues or release of that in the British Museum.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, oh god, the bridge stole so much stuff.
Speaker 11: Yeah, it's it's just a big room full of uh loot, you know.
Speaker 8: Oh my gosh. But you know what, it's sad too, because like there's a part of me that really wishes those artifacts go back to the countries that they came from. But at the same time, like my heart absolutely broke in the last decade when I watched Isis blow up. Yeah, so many of those artifacts and ruins. And I'm glad that a lot of that stuff survived because it wasn't there, right, But at the same time, I hate that it's it's sitting in the museum of a of a colonizer.
Speaker 3: Well there is also there are people who claim to have evidence that part of the goal of the Iraq War was to read the artifacts from the museums.
Speaker 8: Well yeah, I mean that's it. It's it's not outside the realm of let's face this that we white people kind of have a track record.
Speaker 15: Yes, yeah, Unfortunately, what I did Egyptology in college, I did some stuff because I was going to London at the same time for other things, and my professor let me do a paper on, you know, some of the stuff in the British Museum, and she.
Speaker 9: Refused to call it anything but the b m Yeah, because of the other things that DM stands for, right, And so that was like in my paper, I was like here, you know, referred to from now on as you know, just the initials, and like I got an extra credit for that, Yeah I did.
Speaker 3: I did not all know all that I thought she originated in and he you know, in the Hebrew Bible, you know, in the original writings.
Speaker 8: Yeah, a lot of people do. And and that's the funny thing is just like like I said, the Jews tried to kind of delete her.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: And the only reason we really know that she because because most people knew her not as Adam's first wife, but as a demon in the Jewish kind of mythology. And the reason we we have it is because there was a I guess a mystic is the best way. A man named Ben Sira who wrote a book that we now call the Alphabet of Ben Sira. He he was a mystic. A wizard doesn't sound right, but it's kind of what he was working for a nobleman in the Middle Ages who had a very sick son. He had a young son who was very sick, and so he basically said, you know, heal my son, or you're going to die. So the guy comes in and he draws a symbol on the floor, and of course this is a Christian knight or noble. He's very concerned this is devil worship or witchcraft or something, so he asked for an explanation. So ben Cyrus sits down and writes the origin of this symbol, which is the story of Lilith basically, and that's the only surviving account we have, which is obviously a secondhand recollection of her inclusion in the original Hebrew Bible, or I shouldn't say Bible. It's not the Bible. It's in their own book. They hate it when you call it the Bible. But yeah, so, so that's why we have that. But up until, like I said, like, the thing about Lilith is so funny is that people keep trying to delete her. But there's always someone in every in every age, there's someone who who managed to preserve her memory. Hmmmm, and uh, and like I when I I know that when I refer to willis I I I I don't. And this is gonna make me sound like a crazy person. I look at Lilith as a living entity to.
Speaker 11: Me, Okay, you're in a good place for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: I just I feel that there's a there's a dark feminine energy in whatever, the divine sphere, whatever you want to call it. And I don't feel that it's ever represented in religion, Like it's constantly kind of like how her myths are, She's constantly it's constantly ignored or suppressed. Yeah, and when it when it is, and it's it's seen as evil or demonic or wrong, and so like, I have this great story and I when I wrote my thesis the night I finished it, I would basically sit in my office on campus all night and write because it's the only time I have ad have really bad ADHD is probably very obvious at this point, but uh, but I needed to be able to focus in the nighttime was the best time no one was in the building. And so I sat at my office and I kid you not, I wrote the last sentence of my thesis. I got up, I stretched. I have not heard a sound in the building all night. I opened the door and there's a Queen of Spades playing card on the floor in the hallway in front of my office door. Like I don't know how it got there. I had gone and got coffee throughout the night several times. That when you opened a door this building, they were those big kind of fire doors I'm talking about ye, So like when they closed, you were like cool, like you it wasn't quiet. It wasn't a quiet building. Like there there was no speaking around in this building. And so it's the weirdest thing though. And I've kept that car and I still have it to this day. I've kept that card. Oh wow, that's awesome. Yeah. I was like, and I don't know if that was her. I always felt it was her way of going like, Okay, good job, right right.
Speaker 11: I mean, that's that's exactly how I feel about that.
Speaker 8: That's awesome. And I I when I wrote my thesis, I had to do an introduction. Usually you write your introduction after you write the the and uh and I wanted to tell that story, and I wrote it in my introduction and the chair of my committee was like, okay, so you got to change the introduction. He's like, this is not gonna fly. He's like, not in an academic setting. He's like, he's gonna have to. You gotta have to. He's like, no ghost stories, man, He's like, you gotta. So I I and wrote about, you know, my obsession with strong women's and childhood in my insturra hit my intro instead. But when when I decided to start giving it away for free because this publisher, I had to change some of it.
Speaker 10: I had to change at least twenty percent.
Speaker 8: The intro was the perfect place to do that, so I reinserted that story into the introduction in the one that I give away. Now nice, Oh, that's awesome.
Speaker 4: At TESCO, our colleagues are big believers in the community, and with our community fund Blue Tokens, we've helped fund over twenty seven thousand local Irish projects, good causes like finding new homes for dogs and Cork Dog, supporting young swimmers and cool Mine Swim Club, helping out in Claremars Men's shed, creating a sensory garden for the kids of Abaca School, and loud. Don't worry, I won't read all twenty seven thousand. That's just one of many little helps. We love to bring you Tesco that's every Little Helps. For more information see Tesco dot e.
Speaker 6: A cast Classics. In West Cork, it's simply known as the murder. In nineteen ninety six, French film producer Sophie Tuscanda Plantier is found dead near her holiday home. The police suspect one man, but they can't make a charge stick and he refuses to leave, becoming the embodiment of everyone's unsettled nerves.
Speaker 5: For people in West Cork, the murder that changed the character of their peaceful home has become about something completely different.
Speaker 6: To find out more about West Cork and all ACAS classics at the ACAS dot com Forward Slash Classics.
Speaker 9: Nathan, just since we're talking about, you know, academia and them saying like, hey, you can't flip thisid here. You know, when I was doing anthropology, everybody that were grad students above me, that were teaching my classes all had paranormal experiences and none of them were able to never like put that in anything.
Speaker 8: Like you felt like you ran into that a lot too. Yeah, I think everybody does. You know, in the academic circles, you know, they're the certain like some rules are spoken, some are unspoken, you know, like that, and that was one of them that you know, yeah, you could never you could never insert too much of yourself into something not not you never wanted to get too personal or too too flighty. That was always the word they use, you know. You you you always needed to be able to support things with facts and stuff like that. That I was like, yeah, but but like a little side anecdote that doesn't necessarily try to prove your argument. I don't think it's harmful, especially not in an introduction, like I'm not proving my point in my introduction, and so you know, but yeah, and then that's honestly one of the reasons I left academia. There's a lot of gatekeeping in academia. Yeah, and as a as a mythologist, it really bothered me because, in my opinion, mythology is probably one of the most interesting subjects in the world, and yet they managed to make it boring as hell, like all the time, Like I don't know how you could make mythology boring, but they managed to do it. And and also this idea that like when you write these mythology text you have to use that academic voice in your in your writing, and I absolutely despised that when I was in academia that I could not just write in my own conversational writing style, that I had to use that academic writing style, which for someone who's an average reader, that academic writing style makes the book unreadable. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, and then they can charge it, right and yeah, oh yeah of course, and and not to mention unaffordable. Yeah, but I always found that that part of the academic world bothered the hell out of me. I I didn't like it, and I still don't. And like one of the projects that I'm trying to get off the ground right now is I want to write a fairy tale book. Okay, because I wrote, like I said, I wrote the Mythology of Grim And when I wrote that, I you know, I'm a mythologist. I was familiar with fairy tales, but I'd never really really focused on them, and so I had to really deep dive into some old school fairy tales and I fell in love with them. They're just absolutely nuts. They are. The older the fairy tale, the crazier it is. I love it. And usually the moral of all of them is the stupid one Sky and uh, And I even do a lecture at Comic Con at Tampa Comic Con every year of that by that name. But what I want to do is I want to write of kind of an omnibus of old school myth or old school fairy tales, but I want to rewrite them in the modern language, because there are so many really cool fairy tales out there, but they were written, you know, thirteenth, fourteenth, fifteenth, ally after the nineteenth century, and people wrote very differently in those time periods. Yeah, to the point where you know, like if you were to if a sixteen year old today opens the eighteen sixty two volume or an edition of The Brothers Grim right, m like it. They they want to they want to read the story, but they don't understand what it's saying. Yeah, the language is, it's just it was just a different it honestly was a different language, the same words, but it's just they don't really get they can't absorb it because it's not in their own work. So what I would love to do is write an entire like collection of fairy tales that are written in the modern language so that we don't lose them.
Speaker 9: Yeah, well, you know, I think it's an awesome idea, because you know, the the fairy tales that we do have now that people are aware of are the ones that became disneyfied, right, And so you may think that you even know the fairy tale of a popular you know story, but you know the Disney version of it, not the you know or like original version, much less how it was probably told in the places things were emphasized, and you know, like even the context of why a story might be told a certain way.
Speaker 8: Oh god, yeah, Cleveland Beauty is a great example of that. Like the Disney version of Sleeping Beauty not even close, yes, not even close to the original. The original version of Sleeping Beauty has like two acts to it, first of all, And like I always like to talk about Sleeping Beauty in the sense that like it's a story of people who make terrible decisions. And also that's another thing, is that like the context of certain things that Sleep Beauty people don't understand nowt Like like, for example, the curse that she was given, which was that she would pick her finger on a spinning wheel, right right, Well, simple thing, just avoid a spinning wheel, right, like in the Middle Ages. Actually, let's go from from about the tenth century until about one hundred and fifty years ago, everyone worked in textiles. It didn't matter if you were a woman, you worked in textiles, Like even if that was just in your home, you were making yarn, you were making cloth like that. It wasn't a thing that you could just go to the store and buy until about the late nineteenth century, right, So, like a spinning wheel was not just something that existed, it was commonplace, and every woman in the world at that time, in the in the in their world, i should say, worked a spinning wheel. It didn't matter if they were a noble woman or a or a peasant. It didn't matter you you worked a spinning wheel because it was literally the cornerstone of the economy. And so when that curse happens, her father, who is a king, outlaws spinning wheels. No, right, And most people are like, well, yeah, that makes sense, he doesn't want to start to die. I'm like, no, that is like at the time, people would have heard that and been like he did what because like that would be like, you know, it'd be like outlawing, it'd be like outlying iPhones. Yeah, you know what I mean, Like they'd be like the President of the United States found out, well, my daughter's been cursed. In the first moment she touches an iPhone, He'll he'll, he'll fall asleep for a hundred years. If I'm an outlaw iPhone. You know what that would do to the economy of this country? Right, so many reasons it would. It would just it would absolutely cause pandemonium. And that's what would have happened. But because we are not we're reading it from a modern point of view, none of that stuff gets explained. So the the impact that certain parts of those stories should have gets lost, right, And so like that's why I feel like like we need we need a book that can that can really reintroduce this generation to these stories, because those stories are great. There there is a part I keep you go on this, Okay, So later on after Sleeping Beauty wakes up, we're not gonna get into the whole problematic issue with that, the fact that like her age and a bunch of other stuff, but she has she has two children, and uh her, the Prince's mother in Sleeping Beauty was an ogre. He was like part ogre. They don't explain why, but she was so Sleeping Uny's mother in law was part Ogre. Well, the prince had to go off for war for a while, right, and the Ogre queen decides that she wants to eat Sleeping Beauty's children. So uh, she tells the the the cook in the castle to basically go butcher the little the little girl first, and he goes and can't do it. He hides her in his house with his wife and goes like, butcher's a lamb and serves that to the queen. Apparently she can't tell the difference, and she's like, well that was delicious. Now go kill the little boy three years old, three years old, and and serve him up to me too. So here's the crazy thing. He goes into the courtyard to find the kid, and this is I'm not making this up. He finds the boy in the courtyard fencing with a monkey. OK. I'm gonna let those words sink in for a second. Yeah, with a monkey. And then they just continue the story like they didn't just say that, Like like they they don't explain it. They don't explain it at all. Why is there a monkey? Why are they fencing? Why is a three year old being left unattended in a courtyard to short play with a primate, like not mentioned, not explained at all. But that's the kind of crazy stuff that I love though, Like, that is absolutely amazing that they thought that that was an OK thing to just pass into a story and not explain at all. That's awesome.
Speaker 3: It is amazing.
Speaker 8: One of my favorite moments is Sleeping Beauty. When I first read it, I was like I had to go back and reread that sentence like three times or I realized, like they that was exactly what it said.
Speaker 3: Do you have any idea what they meant?
Speaker 8: Yeah, they meant that he was fencing with a monkey. So here's the thing. So apparently in France, which this has been Charles's Farrall's version of Sleeping Beauty in the Wood, and in France at that time when it was written, it was fashionable you have like like primates, like small monkeys as pets for your children. It didn't last long apparently though, most likely because some kids got their faces ripped off. Yeah, Like monkeys are cute until they're not.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Even mcln mess you up in large groups, so you know they Yeah, So it wasn't an unusual and The fencing thing would have been something that you learned from childhood as noble, you know, if your father's noble or a knight. From the moment you're able to hold a stick, you're learning how to how to how to fence, how to fight. Okay, so that that part would have been normal, But I think it was to basically say, well, of course he has the monkey, he's the son of a friend. You know, that's you know, of course that's fashionable right now, right, but that's the Those are the kinds of things I feel like we we we we lose them, especially when Disney does stuff, because when Disney does that, you lose. You lose the tragedy. You always lose the steaks, you lose the things that really those stories are told, and yes they're dark, and yes they're hard, but you have to remember that these are kids growing up in very dark, very hard time, and they needed stories to help them understand how to navigate that without going crazy as a child, which is hard. You know. That's why I always say that, like the moral, especially the German fairy tales, is that the stupid ones get eaten. You know, That's that's literally most German fairy tales. You look at it's like, hey, look at this kid. This kid was stupid. This kid got eaten.
Speaker 12: See this kid over here, this kid was smart. This kid didn't get eaten. Don't be like the stupid kid. Be like the smart kid, you know, like like Little Red Riding Hood, very stupid kid. And what I love is in the original.
Speaker 8: Little Red Riding Hood or actually text tegu it's wrote caption, which is red cap writing hood was the French version because the Germans didn't know what a writing hood was. They had read was a red velvet cap. But in the German version of the original Little Red Riding Hood, she gets eaten and that's the end of the story, Like that's it the wolf fader. Yeah, it is with her saying, well, you know, grandma, what great what of what big teeth you have? And it's better to eat you with my dear and he eats her the end, like yeah, this girl stupid, she can't tell that's a wolf. And her grandmother's like in drag wearing her grandmother's outfit, right and uh and and so yeah, she got eaten for being stupid. And then you have stories like Hansel and Gretel where you have these two kids who were abandoned by their parents. Oh and here's the other thing. The wicked step mother is a myth in and of itself. And I don't mean in the in the archetype of way. So in most of these stories where you have a wicked step mother, originally it was just their mom. It was. But Jakab and Wilhelm Grimm loved their mother. They loved her very very much. And so the idea of a of a birth mother being so horrible to her own children which just unfathomable to the two of them. So they switched it to stepmothers. And that's where we get the eat wicked stepmother archetype. They the grim brothers created it. Basically, it didn't exist before that. But Hanssel and Gretel were abandoned by their mother and their father left in the woods to fend for themselves. They get lost. They find a gingerbread house with a lady with bad eyesight who captures them and tries to fatten them up to eat them. But they're smart, they you know, like she goes to check a Hansole's finger every day to see if he's fattened up. I can't see. He uses a chicken bone and has to feel that. So every day his fingers still feels skinny to her, and they do that delay it, and when there's when they run out of ideas, Gretel comes to the rescue and just boots her into an oven. And they escaped because they use their wits. They kept their wits about them, and they escaped and they didn't get eaten. And they go home because they find it but like a chest full of like jewels in the house. And they go home and they find out their mom has died, and their dad is like grief stricken because he feels so bad about having abandoned them. And they live happily ever after, you know.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, So let's go back to Sleeping Beauty. Does the three year old also get saved?
Speaker 8: Yes, yes, he also gets saved. Both the kids get saved. However, then things take a turn for the worst because the kids are staying in the cook's house with his wife right, and the Sleeping Beauty is concerned. She hasn't seen her kids in a few days and she knows her mother in law is an okre you know, so he gets very worried and the cook finds her in the courtyard crying because she can't find her kids, and he takes her to his house and shows her that they're alive. And so she keeps going back to the house to meet them in secret because they don't want the over Queen to know that they're alive.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 8: The one day, the boy was acting up and so she was thanking him, she was disciplining him and uh, and the over Queen walked by and heard it and realized they were still alive.
Speaker 5: Mmmm.
Speaker 8: This is where stuff gets really elaborate. So he has a pit dug and filled with poisonous vipers and snakes and lizards and like fighters, like every poisonous thing she can find. She has her venomous things she can find she has put in this pit. She has the cook and his wife sleeping beauty and her kids like like on their knees at the edge of this pit. She's gonna kick him in one way time, right and uh, and she's getting ready to execute them. And just at that moment, the prince comes back from war and it's like, what the heck is going on? It's like, you know, imagine, dude, you've been at war for a few years. You come back and you find you got your kid and your wife are tied up on their knees at the edge of a pit full of vipers.
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's your mom's got him there, Like, what's the.
Speaker 8: He's like, what are you doing? Why would you do this? And so, out of shame and guilt, the Ogre Queen throws herself into the pit of vipers and die and they all live happily ever after.
Speaker 16: Uh but yeah, but yeah, Sleeping Beauty is much crazier like than what Disney did, Like they like, I would love to see And here's my other issue is too, I feel like they like people always go to one extreme or another.
Speaker 8: They either want to do like the Disney happy version of a fairy tale or they want to take it super edgy dark, right right, you know, we're rope. Will still get the new horror movie from New Line Cinema like that that kind of thing, and and like it's not that, EASi, it's not. It's not all the way dark. It's definitely not all the way Disney. But there is right, there's this this this this middle ground, which is where most of us live, where we live in a you know we live in a fairly cushy world compared to the world where the kids were growing up when these tales were written. Town, you know, it was you were lucky if you made it like past infancy, and so from there you kind of had to be on your toes because a lot of stuff was out the case, right, and that included other people, you know.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, well you know I love it, you know, as you're talking about this, I mean, it really drives home the fact of like, yeah, you know, like our children's stories now would be like oh, you know, you shouldn't lie.
Speaker 11: Or you should always do this or or whatever. But when you're in a place where mortality is such a.
Speaker 9: Looming presence all the time, you know, like you know, what's really good is like don't die, right, you know, we could worry about the other stuff, but if you're smart enough not to die, like we're doing good.
Speaker 8: Well that's that's right.
Speaker 3: Well, you also get that myth that people didn't live past like thirty five years old or whatever because that's the average age. Well that's because so many people died in childbirth and such.
Speaker 8: Oh god, yeah, yeah, and the moms like that's the thing. Was it just the kids. If you were a woman, you were lucky if you survived your first pregnancy, like you know, if someone went wrong during your pregnancy, there was no you know, there were no ultra sounds. There was you had. You had usually you had a witch to help you. And that's the other thing that drives me nuts about fairy tales is that the wicked witch part of fairy tales, the evil witch, that wasn't the word in those stories. That word got added later. Oh yeah, The words were usually things like hext and beasts or oh, okay, you know they were they were these were actual creatures. They were usually trolls or oh or the witch thing kind of got added later. And it really bothers me because I don't like the fact that the word witch got given a negative connotation. Of that because most people don't realize that the word witch actually has the same root as the word wits. The witch in your village was an old lady who had been around for a very long time and knew a lot of stuff. So when you had a problem, if you were sick, or you or you had an issue, you went to see the witch. You see, the smart lady who usually didn't live in town. She usually lived outside of the town. She probably didn't stand anyone because she was the only smart person in a village full idiot idiots exactly, you know. So you went to see her and she'd give you a magic potion which probably birch bark in, you know, for your fever or like like everyone. It's like the old saying, you know, the difference between technology magic a matter of education, you know. And I think a lot of times I often think the things that from miss and stuff that they said we're magical, we're probably just technology. But it's really hard to explain to people why you shouldn't do things like, you know, like I sometimes think that like like dietary restrictions in certain religions happened that way. It's like, hey, we keep eating the chicken, and we keep getting sick from eating the chicken. Maybe we should stop eating the chicken because there's something like we're not obviously not doing something right, but we're preparing the chicken. Let's not eat the chicken. And they're like they're like, no, no, that doesn't add up, Like okay, well you know what God said, stop eating the chicken, right right? Like oh, well, in that case, let's stop eating the chicken. You know, I feel like that happened to a lot of smart people over thousands of years, where they're like, they're like, just tell them it's magic. Just tell them. It doesn't matter. They're not going to understand you anyway, man, Just tell them it's magic and they'll double leave.
Speaker 3: All right, Yeah, we gotta take a break. We'll be right back quick midshow break. Here contact info and a recommendation. Contact info is very simple. Go to where didthroadgo dot com. That will give you everything you could possibly need, links to all our social media, physical mailing addresses, everything is there, and access to all the episodes all the way back to the first one. Plus you can become a patron by clicking on the big Patreon link and that we'll get you extra content with every show. It'll get you to the shows a week or two early commercial free, shouldn't say every show, extra content with almost every show, and then extra stuff beyond that as well. And it's only three dollars a month, so if you like what you're hearing, you can get a lot more of it, and you can get it without ads and much sooner. All right. As for a recommendation. I'm not entirely sure what to recommend this week. I guess I guess I'll recommend depending on how you feel about the other two movies Evil Dead, Burn It's okay. I have not been a huge fan of the new series. I love I love Evil Dead too. I really like Army at Darkness, the original one. I mean, it is what it is. I don't think it's it's as great in retrospect, but yeah, and I like the Astros as a living dead. I did not like the first remake of Evil Dead. Second one was okay. This one it's all right. If it wasn't an Evil Dead movie, I think I might like it more. I think tying it into Evil Dead kind of kind of ruins it. But it was. It was decent. So if you like those those movies, yeah, you'll probably like this one. I guess that's my recommendation for this week. And now back to the show.
Speaker 2: We all do the same things with our phones, like searching your symptoms and freaking yourself out. Say four hundred and twenty euro with a Samsung Galaxy has twenty six for ninety nine ninety nine on our forty five euro club card. Bill pay plan plus three buds three FI get the same coverage on reliability of a big network, but with the great volume and service of Tasco Tasco Mobile every day all helps Tecency's applied twenty four months in moon term over eighteen's to right to have it required savings based on upfront hanset on multi club cards, counts, spoil stocks. Last off for ends September second see test Co Mobile.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Where DoD the Road Go. I'm here with Saxon and Nathan Brown, who's been telling us fairy tales, and I've been thoroughly enjoying that. But you have a you have a new book coming out.
Speaker 8: I do, I do.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 8: It's it's the third in a series I've been doing these, uh, these illustrated encyclopedias for DK. The next one coming out is called The Unexplained, comes out on August eleventh, it's also my birthday. It's already available for pre order and a lot of it is dealing with, you know, cryptids and unsolved mysteries, disappearances, got ship, stuff like that, and it's just kind of a It's for readers eight to fourteen and it covers a lot of ground.
Speaker 3: So what's the goal.
Speaker 8: You know for me writing this one? Or I text I'm not the writer on I'm the consultant. I did did do some writing on it, but uh, these days they for these kinds of projects, they used the term consultant instead of writer. But uh, for this book, one of my goals was I wanted to present a book that dealt with with stuff that doesn't have rational that doesn't seem to have rational explanations, right, yeah, and try to I tried to keep the mystery while also making sure that the kids get get that rational explanation. Hey, yes, we we this is the mysterious thing, and this may be a thing that is. However, here's some possible rational explanations for these days. Because I worked for a very brief period of times schemeonologist, and uh, you know, came across a lot of people who thought that the day or eleven was even said, right, and they weren't you know, they had a mental illness or they had a brain tumor yeah there was something, you know, there was, but but but everyone wanted to rush to the supernatural explanation and and sometimes, uh, you know, our brains do weird stuff to us. Yes, and like one of the things we deal with a lot in the book. Uh and and I also did in the in the Supernatural Creatures book, we deal with a lot of cryptid and and yes, there there definitely are animals out there that we haven't discovered, you know, they like there was the frilled shark is a great example of that. For the longest time, people thought the frilled shark was a mythological creature because the Japanese had written about it and they had pictures of it, but no one had ever seen one outside of Japan, and the Japanese insisted it was a real thing. And for for like a century, people thought this was a mythological creature until after a tsunami one of them washed up and uh, and they were like, holy crap, it's an actual creature. But it's it's a it's a deep sea shark. And so you know, they they can't really come to the surface because they kind of explode when they do that. So so you know, it's it's a deep sea shark, but it is a real thing. And so it was something that fishermen had seen. Uh. But but you know, yeah, it wasn't something that was normal. So there are obviously creatures out there that we haven't found. But at the same time, you have to leave room for rational explanations such as you know, animal encounter hysteria is a big one. And what that is is when when you're in a certain environment, there are certain animals you expect to see, right, okay, But when you suddenly encounter an animal in an environment where it does not belong, your brain stops seeing an animal and immediately goes to monster. Sure, and and it's a it's a panic, it's a fight or flight mechanism. It's it's it's it's hard wired into our brains to protect us because for all we know that animals are predator. We don't know, so our brain floods us with with with adrenaline and panic.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Yeah, And you know, the Skunk Cape is a great example of that. Skuncape is kind of like a Bigfoot of Florida, right, ye, right, I've been to the Skuncape Museum. If you ever get a chance, highly recommend that the guy that owns it is absolute lunistic. Highly recommend checking out the Skuncap Museum. If you're ever an alligator rally But what I think probably happened with the skunt cape is that when by all accounts people who've seen it, it was covered in moss, covered in grass, it's smelled very musky and earthy. Right. Well, here's the thing. Guess what also smells really musky and earthy male gorillas. So here in Florida we have long had a very very lucrative and very very illegal exotic animal trade that has been going on. What I think probably happened was there was some exotic animal dealer in Miami somewhere near the Everglades. Somewhere along the way, a deal went wrong in an ape got loose, right, and and so you got a gorilla wandering around the everglades, which it doesn't really understand the environment, so it gets covered in moths, it gets covered in grass because it doesn't really know what it's doing, and then it encounters a person, and the person panics because who expects to see a gorilla in the everglades? Right, And but of course it's smell, because gorillas have a very very strong, like musky smell. It's it's it is a it is how it shows that they're like a certain area of their of the pecking order. Basically, it's based on your skin, which I always thought was a weird thing. But uh but you know, so, yes, you see that new panic. It's the same reason that like people keep thinking coyotes and Texas or two pacabras. Well yeah, because well, yeah, because they have decades of inbreeding and Maine and so they look they you can't even recognize them as coyotes anymore. And so yeah, they look like monsters. But the originalicabra was invented by a and was supposed to be a joke. Yeah, and you end up with stuff like that where, yes, is there a possibility there's something mysterious out there. Absolutely, you should always leave room for that. But also you have to be able to look at the irrational side of things as well.
Speaker 3: Absolutely absolutely, And I mean I mean the thing about Okay, let's take bigfoot for instance. There you have big foot sightings pretty much everywhere across the world. They name them different things, you know, and it goes back to aboriginal cultures and stuff. So the likelihood of people are actually experiencing something is high. However, for there to be a breeding group of large apes that's escaping our notice in populated areas is pretty much impossible, right, which leads as to what are we witnessing and in some cases may be exactly that if like Tim Renner did a book on old newspaper accounts, and a lot of times people would describe it as they saw a gorilla. But the problem is there were too many gorilla sightings in Pennsylvania and not enough sources for the gorillas, you know, right, right. And my way of looking at it is people are encountering something they they don't really have a paradigm for, right, and so their brain is just like like especially one off monster encounters, I think their brain just goes, this is something I don't know. I don't know what this is. Uh, things I don't know are scary. What else is scary? When monsters are scary? Okay, that's a monster, and you don't go through that process, but your brain does it in a millisecond, and now you're seeing a monster and you're like, oh my god, there's a monster, you know, right?
Speaker 8: Yea, that's and and it also happens outside of that. Like one of my favorites is I don't know if you guys ever heard of the werewolf of Defiance, Ohio. I don't think so, because I told you about this and this is a you to tell it. In nineteen seventy two, right, the town of Defiance, Ohio was basically terrorized by a quote unquote werewolf for several days. And it started out with a railroad worker who was working at the near the train and he's trying to hook a couple of cars together and he suddenly gets smacked across the back of the head with a two by four and he turns around and it's a werewolf holding a two by four and then robs him and runs away. A couple nights later, like he tells some people this story.
Speaker 14: At this point, no one believes him, which because I mean, come on, it sounds insane, right. So a couple nights later, he and another railroad worker are working together and they see it out in the bushes like staring at him, right, and he's like, He's like, see, I told you this thing was really He's like, oh, we got to go to the cop.
Speaker 8: They go to the cops and they file a police for the police are like okay, like this is an issue. Then around that same time, as they're leaving, a bunch of teenagers come running in streaming bloody murder and panicking because they encountered a werewolf. And so there are several attacks over over the span of like several days by this werewolf, most of them involving robbery and the cops. I kid you not. I only learned this recently because I went back and looked back at the research, so I hadn't hadn't read it a long time. I forgot about this this part. The cops actually had to publish something in the local newspaper saying, listen, this is not a were wolf. This is a guy in a Halloween match, because because that is what it was. It was a guy in a Halloween match. Yeah, but this was nineteen seventy two and those those kind of realistic three D latex Halloween masks were new around that time. What I think you probably had was some kind of a transient guy who was who was like a Traine hopper who got into town and did not have enough money. It's like, okay, so I got to like basically like rob a few people, right, but I do not have anything. But this werewolf mask come across. It's like you put the werewolf mask on and and and hit a guy over ahead with a two by four. Right, yeah, I found some lumber somewhere out there right here, you know, yeah, it was probably a railroad tie or something. But he he hits the guy with a piece of wood and like that right there. I'm like you if you you're thinking rationally, you're like, okay, like why would a werewolf need a two by four?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 8: Yeah, right, Like I figured like he could probably handle me on his own without without lumber for assistance. But what I love is that to this day in Defiance, Ohio, like it's it's kind of like that's their sasquatch, that's their that's their luckness monster. You know. They they love talking about the werewolf of Defiance, Ohio, even though like even at the time the cops were like, this is not a werewolf. This guy in Halloween masks robbing people.
Speaker 3: I have heard that before. Now now that you've told it, I remember it.
Speaker 8: Oh God, it's such a crazy But that's the kind of stuff because because the town absolutely went nuts by like the third night, they were they were organizing mobs, like they had, you know, gun wielding guys in back of trucks. The whole deal. You know, and uh in the cops were like, Okay, this is good. Someone's gonna get killed. So they're trying to like calm everybody down, but no one's listening to them, so they apparently they had to publish it in the paper.
Speaker 9: It's so funny because it's kind of like, all right, everybody's having a little too much fun.
Speaker 8: Uh, party's over, guys, you know, I know, right, like, because you know what's so funny is a probably by that point, this guy was already gone. Yeah, he got a few bucks in his pocket. He hopped on a train and left out.
Speaker 3: Sure with his werewolf mast Right, what you should have you covered in this book? Cryptids and what other type of stuff?
Speaker 8: Uh? We talk about disappearances as a big one, you know, like like we talked about Amelia Earhart a little bit, and then you know, the the evidence of of you know, there are a lot of people who think that that mysteries solved, and I would say it's more solved than it was sure, and that we definitely have evidence of of what happened to her, But what became of her we're not entirely sure of. We we do know that she most likely survived her crash and and lived on an island for a while. There's evidence to support that, but not enough to be like concrete. We also talk about ghost ships, which is a phenomenon that's that's happened, you know, ever since there have been ships on on the sea. To this day, we have ghost ships that where you know where you'll find a ship and the crew is gone and the cargo may or may not be gone and there's just no one on it anymore. Back in the day, most likely piracy was the cause. You know, you came on you you killed her, enslaved the crew, You took what you could carry or what what what you felt was valuable and easy to make a make money on, and you left the rest. Yeah, and then you know, stealing another ship. A lot of people are like, well, why wouldn't they just take the ship? You had to have a crew, right, right, that's a lot of people to keep up, you know, I mean you even need that or Captain Jack Sparrow because apparently he can do it by himself. But like but yeah, like like that was people like like stealing a ship with thing, but like no one guy couldn't run a ship like you needed a crew of probably about a dozen guys just to do the bare bone stuff that you needed to do to sail a ship at that time. So it didn't make sense to steal the ship. It made sense to steal the cargo and leave the ship afloat, but you also didn't want people reporting you. So a lot of times the crew would either get get murdered or they would be sold as slaves. That happened a lot, or they would join the pirate crew. That happened sometimes too. But today we still get ghost ships. We still have ships to show up, but today it's a much different reason. There's actually two or three reasons that we find ghost ships now. One is that you have these kind of aging vessels that are being used for unscrupulous things. You know, like, for example, let's take a load of opium from Afghanistan, bring it out to the international waters, have some cigarette red boat boats come out meet us in the International National waters. We load those up with with the opium, and we leave the derelict ship that we bought behind, and then that gets found. Another reason that it happens uh is uh so uh hips are kind of weird. They're they're they're registered to certain countries for certain things, right, but once a ship reaches a certain age, getting rid of it is really difficult, like those gigantic cargo ships. Yeah, so a lot of times it's easier to just kind of oop cut the moorings. They're like, oh, no, he came out and it was gone. No. No, you know, it'll turn up somewhere and someone will see it and they'll report it. Maybe a coast guard gets out there and finds it, maybe they don't. Uh, But that that kind of stuff happens quite a bit still even to this day. There you have ships. Then of course you have ships the disappear, which you know, back in the day you had the whole from you to triangle, I was much I was very concerned about that as a child. It turned out to not nearly be the issue that I thought it was going to be. But for you to triangle, you know, that's the other one where you know, people are like, oh, so many, so many ships and planes and stuff have gone missing in the triangle. Yeah, that's that's kind of true of anywhere over the ocean. Like I can draw you a a I can draw a triangle over any stretch of oceans just between any two major continents, and I can probably show you a just as many ships that have gone missing and planes that have gone missing in that area. Yeah, Trigle, right right.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean also you have a if I remember it, you have a conflirt. You know, you like weird weather in the Bermuda Triangle, which is not weird in the like paranormal sense, but it's just the location and the way currents and stuff go.
Speaker 8: Oh one percent, you get you have you have updraft heat, you have hot to cold changes, you have pressure changes, you have sudden storms, and there's all kinds of stuff that turns out the Atlantic's a freaky place. Uh, you know, we get a lot of hurricanes. I live in Florida. You know, it's it's it's it's a turbulent ocean, and you know, and and he had to remember that the bulk of those disappearances happened a while back. Right, when was the last time you heard of someone disappearing in the Rama dragon?
Speaker 3: What would it even be noted that it was the Meta triangle at this point, I mean, they.
Speaker 8: Would be noted where it was, and probably at that point the Internet somebody would be.
Speaker 3: Like, hey, that's the true.
Speaker 8: True, somebody would bring it up. Uh, but you know, but it doesn't really happen anymore. That's because we have yes now, right, because we have we have locator beacons, and we have things that if something does go down, we at least don't where it went down, you know. Uh. Back then, all we had were flight plans, you know. And that's why they never found Amelia Airhart because I mean, everybody knew she was out there. It wasn't like no one knew where she was going. Yeah, but the problem was she had a flight plan and most likely she something caused her to accidentally deviate from that flight plan, and so they didn't know where to start looking. At that point. All they knew was where she was supposed to be. They couldn't tell you where she ended up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well you know, and there there are you know, the paranormal style stories that come out of them Permuta triangle, which may be true. But also you find those same stories other places too, Like it's not specific to the Permuta triangle. So it's not like, oh, here's proof that the Bermeter triangle is weird. It's like, no, sometimes weird things just happen.
Speaker 8: Oh absolutely, And I mean and pilots, I mean, my my significant others. He does, she does, She's done some some recreational uh air. I don't know what it's called it flying. I guess, uh. You get her pilot's license and he you know, uh, you know that's one thing with the people just see weird stuff in the air. Sometimes people experience with stuffing the air. And these aren't crazy people either, you know, these are you know, you can't be dumb and fly a plane. Sorry, you can't do it. You You kind of gotta have your with the mess to be able to fly. I couldn't fly a plane, and I have a master's degree. I couldn't do it. But but you know, they they these aren't guys that panic a lot of the time. You know, these are these are guys that have done this a billion times. So when they see something that that they can't explain, yes, I take notice. And there's definitely I think electromagnetic disturbances that we don't understand, yep. And that's one thing I always That's why I always say like, even though there are rational explanations, always leave room for what we don't know. Yeah, because to be honest, as a species, we don't know what we don't know. Uh ist uh. We often forget that we're kind of we're kind of limited because we're three dimensional beings. We're aware that there are other dimensions, but we don't experience in the sense that we can't we can't experience probability, you know. We we know that there's a there are probability lines that that exist in up to eight other demands, but we can't see them. Well, we can't.
Speaker 3: We don't even know that that's still even just a theory.
Speaker 8: Well right, yeah, no, that's the thing. And uh, you know that we we understand time, but we don't we understand space, but we don't at the same time understand those things exactly because we're we are we are very restricted by what we can sense and what we can detect with tech, our current technology. And to believe that that there's nothing out there that that exists around us that we just can't see, I think is extremely hooprius. It's extreme hoopers. This is because one of my favorite ways to kind of explain it is that you talk about like if a three dimensional being were to encounter a one dimensional being, right right, and that that would mean that like a sheet of papers that things whole exist. I could wave my hand all around that sheet of paper and it would not know that I exist until I put my finger on the feet of paper, and then suddenly I would be in front of it.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 8: And then the moment I take my finger off, how would be gone? Like I feel like that's kind of what would happen to exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And it's also and we also only perceive small amounts of our reality as it is, so the stuff we can perceive, our brain kind of filters, and you know, there's there's frequencies and stuff that we're not sensitive to that maybe under certain circumstances we are.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Well, you know we've all talked about this at different times, and Nathan and I have talked about it.
Speaker 8: You know, your your.
Speaker 9: Vision and then all of your senses are for survival. Yeah, they're not for taking in all available information that it can perceive. And so just like you're saying, right, and all this stuff gets filtered out. But like even the things that your eyes can pick up, you know, within the bands of life that it can actually see, you don't know what your brain is taken out before you're aware of it, because it's decided that that's the important for your survival, which is just wild to me to think about. But you know that was goes back to the invisible gorilla that we've we've talked about so much on the show, and.
Speaker 11: I think everybody, most of the listeners will know that.
Speaker 9: But I'm sure if you haven't, you've seen the video of the people passing the ball back and forth and they ask you to count how many times the ball gets passed.
Speaker 11: But then after that's.
Speaker 9: Done, it'll say, did you see the bear or the person in the bear costume?
Speaker 8: Whatever?
Speaker 9: We walk through, you know, the people passing the ball, and almost nobody sees the bear, and.
Speaker 11: Then you go back and.
Speaker 9: Watch it and you're like, oh my gosh, there was a guy in a bear costume through the.
Speaker 3: Whole time the illusion to focus. I'd also like to point out that this time I was not the one who brought up the invisible gorilla.
Speaker 8: That's true, that's true.
Speaker 11: It's just contagious now, I mean it is.
Speaker 3: It is an important thing. I mean, to understand how little we really do perceive. And then when you're adding paranormal stuff in that that isn't there in an agreed upon reality. It's like your brain doesn't know what to.
Speaker 8: Do with that. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Uh, this is one of the reasons I was excited to get Nathan to come on the show, because you know, he's got, you know, very open space for paranormal things like that, but he also you know, is very okay with like looking at things and be like, yeah, that sounds crazy, but it could just be this, you know, and something very mundane. And having his background not just with mythology but the demonology, which is just a being a demonologist is amazing to me, you know.
Speaker 8: And you've got people.
Speaker 9: Really like they're they're well being at stake in a lot of those situations that you're involved with, Nathan, and so I think that's such a cool.
Speaker 8: Balance that you've got going on. And I just have ADHD and really strong research skills. But yes, well you know, the deem knowledge thing, I haven't done that a really long time was when I was younger, and you know, I think a lot of the paranormal stuff, in my opinion, like what I'm looking for when I especially when I was involved with like I did some stuff with the guys from Paranormal State, the Paranormal Research Society, for a while and stuff. And you know, in my opinion, like if I'm looking for the paranormal, I'm looking for the paranormal. I'm not looking to play make believe.
Speaker 3: Well they're looking they're looking for ratings, right.
Speaker 8: Yes, and uh, And that's that's what kind of irked me with that, and and I but that's always my thing. It's like, well, what are we doing. Are we really trying to find evidence of the paranormal or are we are we trying to play make believe? Because if we're doing that, that's fine, but let's be honest about it at least, yeah, because you know, you know, I can't tell you how many ORB photos I've had to do with over the years. And I'm like, no, man, that's that's called your camera. That's all it is light reflect You're fine, there's not orbs everywhere, But not to say that there's not. Nothing gets captured on camera that is odd. But like, like it's in for me, it's a matter of trying to find it concrete evidence that I can point to. And and and here's the thing, like as demon knowledge, there were times, very few, there were some cases that I could not you know, there weren't explanations for well, it doesn't mean there wasn't one, It just meant I couldn't find.
Speaker 3: My favorite orbs story still was. I was in this like email group with this paranormal I didn't do anything with them, but I just looked to see what they, you know, what they were doing. And at one point they were at some graveyard in the middle of the night and they walked past the grave. It's all long grass hadn't been cut, and and before they get to the grave, someone took a picture. And then after they passed it, someone's like, I feel something, take a picture, and they turned around and took a picture with flash and it's filled with orbs and they're like, oh my god, look what we captured. And I'm like, that would be pollen bugs, dust.
Speaker 8: You know, like yeah, exactly, Yeah, there's a lot of stuff in the air, and light likes to reflect around all of it.
Speaker 3: So it's it's you know, I've had weird orb photos of my own, but I don't know what they are, and I can't rule out that they're just dust. It's more of the fact that they pop up in a weird way where it's like there really shouldn't be dust. I mean, Saxon and I had that happen.
Speaker 11: Oh, let's say we had that happened, uh.
Speaker 3: At the graveyard. Yeah, because first rocks fell from the sky on us. Yeah, and then and then we went to the graveyard and I took a bunch of pictures and and no, this is the middle of the day, no orbs anywhere. And then there's one picture where on every single tree there's an orb. That's cool, and I'm like, this is probably nothing but a coincidence, but that's weird.
Speaker 8: Well, that's also my thing because like the fact that like I don't feel like the existence of ones that aren't real necessarily debunks the possibility of them being real ever, right, right, if that makes sense, Like, just because a lot of people misidentify what they call orbs and photos doesn't mean there isn't something out there, oh shit, that that exists. It's the same with like like demon possession. Just because ninety nine percent of the people who think they're demon possessed actually something else going on, doesn't mean that there isn't that one person out there that aren't actually dealing with something supernatural, right, right, And I've seen it. You know, I've seen I've seen that, but I've also seen people who I like like that that like I would evaluate. I'm like, yeah, I get why they think this person, like I like, they sound weird, they their their bodies are conforting in weird ways they're doing and a lot of times it was it was neurological. A lot of it was neurological, like it was you know, brain tumors, it's frenny, uh, you know, uh strokes, like there were so many things. But but uh, and the reason that I worked is that is that so the Catholic Church, they have their own extorsis right, but they also have their own processes for evaluating a person before an exorcist even shows up. You know, there are doctors they have these people see there they they they they cancel out every possible rational explanation before an extorsist ever comes in and sees a person. Fortunately, procestans do not have that. So that was kind of how I ended up doing it. Was because when I was in my teens and early twenties, I was somewhat religious, and I was also into a lot of weird stuff. And in my in my teens, a youth pastor was like, hey, so we've got the situation.
Speaker 3: Well we are out of time, but we can continue this on a Patreon All right, Yeah, do you have a website.
Speaker 8: Do I have a website?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 8: You know what, I don't. Uh, but you can find me anywhere. To be honest, you just look up N R. Brown three seven n A T R P R O W N three seven. Just google that.
Speaker 3: You'll find me, okay. In the names of your your books.
Speaker 8: Oh dear God. Uh well, the most recent ones are legendary heroes, supernatural creatures, the Unexplained. I've also written The Mythology of Supernatural, The Mythology of grim The Complete Idiot's Guide, The World Mythology, The Complete as Guide to Wear Wolves, The Complete Idious Guide, the Zombies, The Everything Crap I Got for Fitness, book, Dead Come Home, The Rape of Lilith's.
Speaker 3: There's more, but we'll okay, okay, and tell people again about what they search for an eBay to find your your weird weapons, just search for vampire stakes.
Speaker 8: But the name of my shop is Warrior Wood and prop You can google Warrior Wood and Props and I come up pretty easily.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you so much.
Speaker 8: Enough if you just searched, Nathan Robert Brown. These days it comes up, so Someme's working all right.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Thank you. I want to take a couple of minutes here to thank all of my patreons, and a special shout out to those of you pledging ten dollars or more. Greg Ross, Cherry, Trapezoid tactical Therapist, John Blackburn, Mark Smith, Madeline j Marty Garza, Critter eighty, Alison Cook, super Inframan thirty six Dingo, Sean Cosgrove, Matthew Sproll, Ruth Fortescu, Andrew Nichols, John Schrettler, Martha Artha, Christine Stuart Began, roth Men Brenn, Mark Brady, Patricia Guya, Quinta, Kevin Shrek, Lynn's Jackson, Kay, Charles in Florida, Land of the Crazy and Communicable, Charles Davis, Kristin, l Jotto, Riiker and Stark, Abby Allen Wright, Rectangle, Eric Citron, Kevin American Rambler, Sam Sharon thunder Boy, Eric Todd, Ann Watowski, Vincent Trewell, Will Powell, Jay mt K, History and Coffee, Diane b Joe Bowling, Jay Beverly, Williamson, Jim and Sophie Victoria, John Bracken, Aul Jeffreys, Moon Baby, Janet's Planet, Ron dupre Laser Printer, Jam m j Armstrong, Jack Huntington, Lauren McClain, Stacy Sherwood, James Lindsay Linda from Michigan, Billuminati, Strange Stories with The Seeker and Skeptic Podcast, Mark Shoemaker, Ron Duprey, Will Cherry, Tom Early Ritual, The Ghost Story, Guys, Tyler Glimstead, Liam Hoodock, Harrol Eric z Anna, Annabel Smith, Caroline Walker, TDT Skunkworks, Craig Sagastumi, Collin Kerris, and Matthew Brown. Thank you all so very much. This show would not be what it is without your support. All Right, We talked some more in a Patreon only segment. You want to become a patron, go to Where Did the Road Go? Click on the big Patreon link. It's only three dollars a month, shows a week or two early commercial free, plus extra content with almost every show and bonus stuff on top of all of that, and a very cool community. You can also find links to all the social media and there's a link tree on Where the Roadgo dot com that links to all my other stuff, including my music show The last exit for the lost. Also, if you can give us a great rating wherever you're listening, that's always appreciated as well reviews too, if you feel like it. I want to welcome a couple of new patrons, Glenn Bright and Eyeball. I like that one. All right, to take you out tonight appropriately We're going to hear a song called Lilith from Andre Dare see you next time.
Speaker 13: I am the dream child Lilla, cloaked and haloed, hungers. The wind sings with her fingers across my silk.
Speaker 8: Fire.
Speaker 13: Heavens angels voice a sigh and languish in my skirts. I am the blasphemy of flowers, rife with tortured innocence. The sun loiters long above my bed of four horizons. Tho be stumble a drunken to it from me all day long, Pour it all all over me My thoughts do not a wait here, still not narryly. Each one is spinning a succubas, each one a promise to swallow your bloated dreams.
Speaker 8: Sup So.
Speaker 13: I am waity.
Speaker 8: H the long Please let's go far please Sarah.
Speaker 13: Side be bellow, we time, bellow, we nothing. I something sweeter than the sire.
Speaker 8: H Amen the play.
Speaker 13: Working Higher, No.
Speaker 9: Name God.
Speaker 3: If you have been listening to Where Did the Road Go? This show is This show has brought you, in part by our patreons you can find You can find more at www dot Where did the Road Go?
Speaker 8: Dot com?
Speaker 3: Thank you website designed by John Shooter from the Strop. The intro for the show was reimagined by Andrew Hamm a k a k A Lord Happiness on Spot of five, and the voice is Psyche Komire of Psyche Corporation. Artwork for the show resigned by Timothy Renner, Jeff Ritzman and Nadim Mahi Bahi. General inquiries, comments, et cetera can be directed to contact at Where Did the Road Go? Dot com dot com. Thank you all for listening and for all the support. Www. Dot Where did the Road Go? Dot com dot com