Speaker 1: Sometimes they're hot, sometimes they're not.
Speaker 2: Let's relive the thrill of victory in the agony of defeat in the zone. It's back with the best and worst takes from the weekend.
Speaker 3: The segment brought to you by mills Are. They are there for you day and night. If ac guys or superheroes, it would be uh Mills Air that says on their caves, don't believe me. Read the reviews for yourself. Visit Millsair dot com. I'll tell you more about what went down at the end of this segment. Not a ton went down this weekend in the sports world, so we will expand the conversation slightly beyond that because there's a lot going on right now and and a lot that pertains to things that have been said in the past. So I will start, because I'm a positive guy, I will start with the best that is out there. I can go all the way back to when Jalen Ramsey was acquired by the Miami Dolphins and be reminded of my original stance on him joint the team that.
Speaker 1: It wasn't a needle mover.
Speaker 3: That he is, yes, still considered top fifteen at the position, but Ramsey used to be top three. He used to be one of the best DB's in the NFL, and when he showed up in Miami, people had a reaction like he was still that guy, and he hasn't been that in years. So for him to get traded to the Pittsburgh Steelers, by the way, or for him to get traded, you know, when you go back to the original deal, for him to get traded to my Miami Dolphins doesn't change my opinion of that. And for him to get dealt now, of course, is not surprising. He's been on the block for the last couple of months.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: Ramsey will be a cap pick for the Miami Dolphins of about six million dollars for the next couple of seasons. The move also saves them nearly ten million in twenty twenty five, cap space, eighteen in twenty twenty six, twenty in the following year, and then thirty million in twenty twenty eight and another twelve million in twenty twenty nine. This guy had, like I wanted, like a ten year contract that he was working with. This is smart for the Miami Dolphins to move off of him, and I absolutely love the player they get back It's been far too long since I've seen a Fitzpatrick on the back of a Miami Dolphins jersey. So the only gripe I have with this trade, Tyler, is that John new Smith was sent as part of the package to the Pittsburgh Steelers, a team that now has three startable tight ends on their roster. Smith, Darnell Washington, who is a beast physically hasn't put it all together, but he's a really good running, run blocking tight end, like he's not useless, and Pat Fryarmouth, who's kind of good at everything. You cann't get one of those guys back in the trade. I couldn't tell you who the Dolphins starting tight end is, so they still need that, especially for a Mike McDaniel offense, and really, I think more than anything a Tua led offense having that safety blanket in the middle of the fields feels like it would be pretty important. John new Smith had a career year last year, but all in all, I loved the trade, and I always thought Ramsey by the time he got to Miami was a little overrated.
Speaker 2: I think it makes a lot of sense for everybody to depending on which way you want to look at it to talk about the Pittsburgh guys. Ye, Jalen Ramsey isn't the Jalen Ramsey that he was in Jacksonville. But you're still talking about a guy that before last season was a pro bowler for four straight seasons.
Speaker 1: But he was still far.
Speaker 2: From the All Pro player that he was with his time in Jacksonville as well as his years in LA the John new Smith Angle, these were two guys that Miami was pretty clear that they were looking to move off of that when Week one rolled around rolled along, they would not be a member of the Miami Dolphins. You look at Pittsburgh moving off of MINCA. I don't I think you're getting a good return for Minca. However, I don't know if it was necessary to move off of Minca in this spot.
Speaker 1: He still was years old.
Speaker 2: He's the youngest of any of the three, not by much, but he still is younger multi time pro bowler, he has been All Pro, so I think it was interesting. And then the John HW Smith in particular, he reunites with Arthur Smith, who is offensive coordinator of the Steelers, has ties to John HU Smith going back to their days at Tennessee when Arthur was the offensive coordinator and John who was beginning his career there, as well as Arthur Smith's time as head coach in Atlanta for a year. I don't think you get the John hu Smith of the final It wasn't even a season.
Speaker 1: That was great for him.
Speaker 2: It was like a six week stretch to close the year that this guy was untouchable. So, you know, I think overall win for the Dolphins to get off of those guys. You save some money in the process for next season, as you mentioned, and you still get a really good defensive player in Minka Fitzpatrick.
Speaker 3: It's hard to believe for me that he hasn't been on the Miami Dolphins since twenty nineteen.
Speaker 1: The last been a long time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it doesn't feel like it's been that long. I still remember being is staff that they traded him in the first place. He then goes to the Pittsburgh Steelers first couple of seasons five interceptions, five interceptions. The uh no, that was the same season twenty nineteen five interceptions, twenty twenty four interceptions, and then two and twenty twenty one, and then six in twenty twenty two. Since then, so the twenty three and twenty four season. The last two years he has one total I int so the production slipping a little bit. That is not the only way to judge a defensive back. Sometimes interceptions can be kind of fluky and situational. It's really about how you are in coverage and all of those things. Minka Fitzpatrick to say that he's not the same player he was when he was twenty five, Okay, you could probably say that about every defensive back in the NFL. Both sides of the deal right now, if you're a Steelers fan, you're selling yourself on, Hey, Ramsey's Ramsey's just as good as he's always been. And if you're on the Dolphins side, you go, hey, MIKEA. Fitzpatrick, you know, this guy hasn't really fallen off the way that some are suggesting.
Speaker 1: So I love the deal.
Speaker 3: But I didn't expect to get any player back for Jalen Ramsey, so I'm pretty happy with that. One of the worst of the weekend was that I was convinced that Ace Bailey was never going to show up for the Utah Jazz. I had convinced myself so much so that I was convinced they were going to strike a deal with the Boston Celtics, sending Bailey to Boston and Jalen Brown to the Utah Jazz. It still could happen, but Ace Bailey did make his way to Utah and even spoke to reporters.
Speaker 2: Was there any point that you considered not coming to Utah?
Speaker 3: No, not at all.
Speaker 1: I mean, just blessed to be in his position. I am not a lot of people can sit in these chairs and have great teammates. As I got on, they came on with me. So I'm just bless to be here. All right, Hey, he's happened to be in Utah. It's all I needed to hear.
Speaker 3: You know how I felt bad for as I'm watching, I probably watched about five minutes of this is Walter Clayton Junior. Your moment just completely overshadowed because all anybody wanted to ask was a question to Ace Bailey and what's going on and how much are you committed to this team and all of that. Somebody that was in the room second question went to Walter Clayton Junior, and I think it was just like, please, somebody ask this guy a question. It does feel like his moment was overshadowed because the biggest story coming out of the draft is this Ace Bailey stuff.
Speaker 2: But uh, he's in Utah, So I got that one wrong. Yeah, I think that Ace Utah drafting. We went through this last week, Utah drafting Ace Bailey. I do believe that it's taken a chance on him. It's taken a chance that even though there were reports from his agent that that's not where he wanted to go. Listen, at the fifth pick, you are too good a prospect to slip. I couldn't live with myself any further any longer if I let you slide by five in that front office mind, So you take the swing on him.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I think it's fun to try to connect Ace to Boston or Ace elsewhere and say, hey, this is all a plan to bring in Jalen Brown and the deal just they're working on the small details. If that were the case and that deal falls through and that information goes public.
Speaker 1: That's a fireable offense.
Speaker 2: Drafting a player with the intent to trade him without having that deal done.
Speaker 1: It's just a little too messy form.
Speaker 2: So that's why I believe that Utah drafted Ace with the goal to make him the franchise player. Down the line, there was the release that he's going to be wearing number nineteen at least at first for Utah. We fully expect that changed to two once the Conseexton trade is official, and Ace will be rocking too. So if you know what, I would be convinced if they were keeping him at number nineteen, then that would be out of spite. That'd be you don't want to play for us, here's number nineteen. Go have fun, buddy. No, they're going to try to market this guy in the right way and just try to build that relationship to make him happy to be a member of the Jazz at least for his rookie contract.
Speaker 3: And beyond two is a really strong number for a star in the NBA. I can't think of who my favorite nineteen would be at NBA history.
Speaker 2: Yaka Pertl is like the one and only player to come to mind, and I think he's rock nineteen in a couple different places, so he's he's consistent.
Speaker 3: I got another worst for beyond the Weekend, and that is that I know at some point I have said that gambling controversies in sports would never reach the levels of a significant player on any team Johntay Porters of the world. Those are gonna be the guys, the guys that are barely hanging on. Those are gonna be the ones that succumb to the temptation of making a couple of extra bucks on prop bets for which they are affiliated with. These guys can tinker with their performance and production, tip off a couple of people, maybe even play some bets themselves, and points can be shaven, rebounds can be shaved. That can happen. Malik Beasley's deal this past year is worth six million dollars. His next contract would have been north of forty million dollars. Even if you're the the best sports better on the planet, it's tough to make forty two million dollars doing this. I still don't believe this is gonna be a widespread issue in pro sports. We will have all these instances among select players where this becomes an issue. But damn, this is as close too wrong as I could possibly be in this whole betting situation. Because Malik Beasley is a well known NBA player who isn't making nothing comparatively to everybody else that's in the league, and he's still caught up in this.
Speaker 2: Some guys won't learn and won't realize the situation that they're in and the blessing that it is to be in that situation.
Speaker 1: It's it's a tempting thing. And I think I.
Speaker 2: Think you will put a tweet out afterwards, like you understand the temptation from players, but you can't comprehend the execution of it from the players.
Speaker 1: It's it's totally it's unbelievable. You know, it's betting.
Speaker 2: It's fun in nature, it's it's a social thing. And who knows to what capacity that Malik Beasley was betting, and if it's betting on himself, regardless of what it is, it doesn't How he was betting doesn't make it right. Whether he was physically betting on himself, betting on games that he was involved in, betting on them to cover spreads, whatever it is, it doesn't make it right. And now there's that play from three years ago when he went coast to coast to cover the spread on a layup and lose by seven instead of nine and eight and a half points spread. I mean, you know, well, we'll get more information about it. We'll see if we can lock down how he was betting. But it's just a reminder that doesn't make it right. These athletes know what they are facing if they get caught, and some will, whether you're a big star or not, some will be irresponsible enough to go through with it.
Speaker 3: It's just not It's not worth it at all. I cannot understand going through with something like this. And you look at when the investigation takes place now, But what they're investigating was it was irregular action by some sports book that's out there in the country. In the twenty three to twenty four season, he started, didn't play. Started in seventy seven games for the Milwaukee Bucks that season, averaged eleven points per game. This is not a Johntay Porter situation, some random player coming off of the bench to give a couple of minutes. And I don't even get it when those guys do it. Because you still have an NBA jersey on, you have made it to a degree, but when you're starting NBA games, no, it makes no sense whatsoever. So part of this was I was I'm gonna read this directly. A gambling industry source pointed to a game between the Bucks and the Portland Trailblazers. On January thirty first, twenty twenty four, the odds on Beasley recording fewer than two and a half rebounds moved significantly at the sports book before the game, shortening from plus one twenty to minus two on the under at two and a half rebounds. That sort of surge of action caught the eye of some sources within the industry, and Beasley finished with six rebounds in the game, and all of the bets that moved the line unusually lost when you figure there was insider information, and perhaps that insider information was coming from Malik Beasley, so that is a feather in his cap to say, Hey, the game that you're talking about, I hit the over, okay, So I'm me handing out all of this under information. There's got to be more to it than that, though. For this is just the story, part of the story from ESPN dot com, But that's what we know as of right now. Also, worst of the weekend for me. Last week we did our first Diamond Report, a trip around Major League Baseball, and one of the listeners said, how could you not mention the Miami Marlins, And I believe my response was that there's nothing worth mentioning. Well, here come the Fish. The Marlins set a franchise record with their ninth straight victory on the road and swept a trio of six plus games for the first time. Miami, which is off today, finished the month of June fourteen and twelve, and it is the first winning record for a full month of actions since May of twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: So there you go. There's your hat tip to the Miami Marlins. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was wrong on that one too. You asked me when premium picks. I believe it was on Friday. There were three teams on a winning shriek of three games or more, maybe it was four games or more heading into the weekend. It was the Astros, it was somebody that I don't recall, and it was the Miami Marlins. And I said, no, none of them are making it out alive. None of them are continuing the Streek. Oh was the Dodgers, the Dodgers, the other one Dodgers, and the Dodgers loss over the weekend. The Ashros lost the game to the Cubes over the weekend. But the Miami Marlins where they sweep over the diamondback, so they got they got something going on down there in South Florida.
Speaker 3: Do you have anything before we wrap this segment up? Oh, if we do anything on the Big Dumper, by the.
Speaker 1: Way, I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think we had any action in on the big on the Big Dumpy, I will throw out just a life one, a best one not to do with sports. It has been a long time since I've had five guys, and I felt like five guys yesterday. I did know what it was, but it just kind of felt like a burger. Didn't want to go anywhere, just want to grab it, bring it home. And I got five guys in BK. Although it is too expensive, it's a bit too salty. That's the best fast food burger in the game. Oh, I was, I was. I wasn't satisfied paying the twenty bucks that it was for a burger in the fries, But that combo is as good as any other in the fast food industry.
Speaker 3: The prices everywhere right now are just a little more ridiculous than they need to be. It's hard to find places where you're really comfortable with the current price of whatever it is they're selling, especially in the food and beverage industry.
Speaker 1: But five guys always delivers rock solid and just the way it like.
Speaker 3: It continues to cook in the bag and the fries are always hot.
Speaker 1: I never had cold fries at five. And they give you a lot of them too.
Speaker 2: You go through the cup of fries and then you still have another small serving in the bag itself. I mean, it's it's a great it was. It was a great experience that an out of ten.
Speaker 3: So I had a freak incident that occurred on Friday. Get the call from the wife as I'm making my way home and she said, our AC isn't working right now. I can't seem to fix it, and uh, which is odd. I just had my regular maintenance from Mills Air. So I called them and I said, what's going on? Can you help out? This is at night, by the way, this is when most places have completely shut down their operation. They came out, they were