Speaker 1: What's up y'all. My goodness, it's time for a little cringe. And Steph and I have had our own personal cringes in the last like twenty four hours we have. I mean, should we just say what's going on? Just the Stephanie broke her foot? Yes, I did, smashed shattered her same foot that she shattered before. Did they give you a prognosis, by the way, like how long it will take to heal?
Speaker 2: Well, they said it's going to be four to six weeks. It's not even going to start healing for I don't know, a couple of weeks. The guy said, there's nothing to do. They have a boot on it. They gave me a hard bottomed shoe. I have a boot. Okay, before that makes me sound Canadian, the boot, I have a bit storry story. But yeah, the problem is I was just getting back to like going to the gym, you know, pretty often. Well then that went down again when I got a dog, but that then anyway, now it's gonna be like six to eight weeks. It's gonna be four to six weeks till I start feeling better, and six to eight weeks until it's really healing. But so last time, like fractured a foot. It took I was a very slow healer for some reason, which is just aggravating.
Speaker 1: Get them bumped up. I've got the same problem, little thin bones, and we just gotta gotta this life. You just try.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm a.
Speaker 1: Brittal leavett my sweet little guy. I had my little baby Monroe had a seizure last night and he hadn't for a little bit. I thought, well, are we just done with the seizures? But no, and it takes us. I don't know if you guys have animals or chill or anybody that you know that hast he has Grandma. They last for a really long time, and then the post idyl they're called right after the sea is still part of the seizure. Is this last time was twelve hours? Twelve hours God of a round wandering and bumping into walls. So you can't just let him wander. You have to be on you have to be awake and next to him otherwise hurt himself because he's like in a k hole. Basically is how it was described. Well that's not how my vet described it. I relate it to a friend of mine who does a lot of drugs and he's like, oh, it's like a k hole. I'm like, yeah, I guess, but not a fun k hole, right, not a good one. So anyway, we both had a time, but that does not stop us from wanting to come here and talk about like the cringiest of cringes, which I insist that we discuss right now.
Speaker 2: We're a day late.
Speaker 1: Not a dollar short, though I was just going to say, not a dollar short. Not a dollar short.
Speaker 2: No, because of mar go fundme that we did. Yeah, we'd started to go fund me just because we're cute. We asked. We just asked for leftovers from James Vanderbeek's fun. We were like, listen, I know that you guys did not stop what you're doing and you're not done yet. But if you decide, hey, we're going to like cut this off, could you just give the rest to us. That's what we asked, and we like, I've done that time. I need it.
Speaker 1: I need from Monroe, you need it for your foot. Things are happening. And by the way, you see the Alissa Milano she popped in and she was trying to defend She's like, now she makes a point that a lot of people were making in the comments, which is like, you know, first of all, you don't know anyone's business unless it's your business. And I get that we don't know how much somebody has to pay in medical bills or what kind of debt they're in, Like we don't know their life, and so we're not judging that. But then she tried to say, like health insurance isn't what you'd think, and it's like okay, So somebody pushed back like maybe that's true for like one hundred thousand and SAG after members like my elf, me Cecily, I don't have a good you know, well I don't.
Speaker 2: I can't use SAG insurance because I don't make money as an actor, but I'm in SAG.
Speaker 1: But people were like, but that's not the case for Eric Dane. If you mean that SAG insurance isn't very good for most screen actors build members, I guess it's actually pretty good. But if you're saying that, it's like, but that's not the case for a for like a TV star, right, So that's a ridiculous, like ridiculous call.
Speaker 2: It's also just kind of elitist because it's like being out of touch with what regular people are dealing with. And our point, that's what people are a lot of regular people don't have health insurance at all.
Speaker 1: At all, and that they're the mercy of you know, medical or medica, k you know, whatever it is. And yeah, a lot of people in the they're like read the room girl, Oh my god, yeah god. But I also understand defending your friend and their family. And you know, we don't know, we don't know.
Speaker 2: But anyway, it's got our job to not know. Our job is to just make opinions based on whatever. That's our job, right, that's literally our job. Well today, our job is to talk. Okay, I can't hear you very well. I think your mic is very low. Really mhmm.
Speaker 1: Sometimes you'll say something else kind of goes under it goes underneath me.
Speaker 2: Oh, I don't know why.
Speaker 1: It might be my headphones. Who knows, no blame here be me.
Speaker 2: Uh, it should be normal and I can hear it. Fine, So okay, let's not worry about that.
Speaker 1: Okay, let me get to this subject that I want to talk about, which is what happened at the BAFTAs on Sunday. I said, we're a day or so late on this, but uh, let me, guys, let me let me guys. Fill you in. Let me fill you in, guys. That's how I meant to say that. BAFTAs. You know, we're here, We are at the BAFTAs.
Speaker 2: And uh so the BAFTAs, for those who don't even know, are the British like Academy Award.
Speaker 1: Basically, yeah, exactly, They're a big deal in England in full guild.
Speaker 2: But then why do we have so many like British people in the regular Like then shouldn't they shouldn't they not win stuff for America? Shouldn't they just have their own? Or can Americans?
Speaker 1: I don't think the Americans can win daft does they went daft us all the time? Okay, oh yeah, it's not like it's only for this country. It's not like the Olympics and you have to be on you have to be American to be on the team whatever. Okay, which I still don't understand because someone said to me after the hockey thing and the guys were going crazy with our FBI director Cash Pattel in case you missed it, it was insane. But someone's like a lot of those hockey players on the American team or Canadian, and I thought you had to be American to be on the Olympic team. I thought that was the whole point. You can't just be on any Olympic team. I can't just go and be on like Greece's Olympic team. Not that I would have anything to do that for, but you can't just choose that, right, it's not your country of origin.
Speaker 2: But you're saying they can.
Speaker 1: You're saying you, Well, somebody told me that a bunch of them were Canadians, and I was like, I don't think so, but I maybe you.
Speaker 2: Guys tell me could they be dual citizens? I guess because that would make sense because there was some like backlash against the one who the Chinese one who all is dual citizen and wanted to compete in for China.
Speaker 1: Oh well, I say, you get to choose if you I mean, if you're good, you want to play? Why not?
Speaker 2: Why are you saying?
Speaker 1: You know? But that was pretty nasty. I mean, the FBI director has, yes, so many things he should be doing right.
Speaker 2: Now, chucking my boy cash mm hmm. Now he's such a sweetie pie.
Speaker 1: Okay, go on, sorry, we're getting Okay, So here's what no, you don't need to be sorry. But at so, let me just set this up there at the bath does and let me just hold on because I have a couple of different stories up. So I want to I want to get like an older story that gives more, because now there's just so many stories. But basically, documentary was being discussed and rewarded and awarded about Tourette's syndrome about a man who suffers or lives with Tourette's and syndrome, this guy named John Davidson. Okay, okay, and I'm just going to say that his life story inspired a movie called I Swear. Okay, So Sinners stars because you have different people just coming out, and Sinners is a big deal right now. In the movie, Sinners stars Michael B. Jordan and Delroy Lindo, who both happened to be black men. Okay, they were presenting the prize. This the first prize for Sunday's Ceremony, And I don't know for sure if that was the prize for this actual film that was being nominated for just the first prize. Okay, I'm not sure of that because I didn't watch it. Okay, However, so John was in the room. He has trutts and in the back back of the room he shouted the N word three times and you could hear it. It was audible, and you could see their faces and they weren't thrilled about it, as as.
Speaker 2: Anybody would be. Anybody would be like, whoa, what the fuck? Okay, did they know he was going on at the time? The presenters, Yeah, I don't know. I don't know that they knew it was John at the time. I don't know that they knew him, Okay, So they just thought some some random person was screaming the N word at them.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know. I don't that I really don't know. But it does get so much worse, you know what I mean? Oh for sure. And I know they were upset about it, you could see it on their faces, as anyone would be. But what had happened was, well, this all aired, I mean everybody had aired and went out to Americans and went to everywhere, and then we found out after the fact that it wasn't live. We could have totally been edited.
Speaker 2: They edited some political speech out from a people, which I'm fine with them editing, but they didn't edit this and that is absolutely crazy.
Speaker 1: So now I'm going to get to some more details. But there's two divide. There's two big party, two big groups of people that are very upset. On one hand, you understandably have people of color that are like, oh my god, I can't believe that this is just okay and that they can just shout at the N word. And then on the other side, you have people that are advocates of tourettes or people that have tourettes that are trying to say it is never intentional. That is literally what Tourette's is. If you have this kind of verbal tick and there's nothing that you can do about it, and so they're trying to explain that to people, and some people are just like absolutely not having it. So it's a tough one, right because you're like, on one hand, you'll scream. One side is screaming you're racist if you think that this is okay, and the other side is saying you're ablest if you think that there should be an apology. Now, personally, I think there should be a pology from the BAFTAs.
Speaker 2: Yes, And what about the guy who said it, John Davidson.
Speaker 1: He's come out eventually, At first he didn't really apologize, and then he just said, let me find his actual words, because he did. He did say he was mortified. Basically, he was very mortified that anybody would think that this was intentional. So the BBC, who aired the BAFTAs, they have now apologized for broadcasting the slur. So I assume they caught that. Let me see where else because there's so many articles. He said it like a couple times, by the way, like I said, yeah, so it's really really interesting. Before we go on to that story, should I tell you my should I remind people of my interaction with something very similar to this. Sure, so, I think we did a whole show about it, but it might have just been on Patreon, but I think we did it on a regular show. This is like a year or so ago. I went to see musical at a high school. My friend worked at the high school and was like, do you want to go see Little Shop of Horrors done by high school students? And I'm like, you fucking bet you know how much I want that. Yes, That's there's nothing I'd rather do for real, So I'm very excited. They have They made cookies and they had little you know, playbills, and I was just like, oh my god, this is everything. And we sit and a couple weird things are happening, setting the stage of a very like tense like they had headsets, but their headsets kept popping, so it sounded like gunshots constantly. It was like really loud, and it was really unnerving to me specifically, but no one really seemed to love that, so they couldn't fix that. But then this young woman, I assumed she was in high school and she seemed to have had dureats, started yelling things. And I don't remember exactly, but I do think she said the N word. I actually do. I'm almost positive. I'll have to ask Chip about that, but she definitely started yelling, I'm going to kill everyone. I have a gun, I'm going to kill everyone. Then she stood up, went to the corner of the room, covered her ears, and screamed as loud as possible and did that probably about five times. Then would come back.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: My take on it was, and I got into a few arguments about it, was that if this is what you are dealing with, that perhaps live theater isn't for you. Perhaps that's not because I as a theater child was like, that's not fair to the kids on stage, that's not fair to the people in that audience. Like I think that maybe there's just other things that you can do and this isn't one of them. Maybe you can go to a football game where it's really super loud and you can scream, but not this. And that really was my take, which is the take of half of the people on this Baptist situation saying listen, you know, we appreciate we'd want to learn about this, but like maybe in a high stress like cooker, like pressure cooker situation, this person who has this particular kind of vocal tick where they say the thing you're not supposed to say, maybe they shouldn't be at a live or like at an event, and the very least the Baptist should have nipped it.
Speaker 2: Well that we're taking it out. Yeah, I'm very surprised. Now, why was that this guy was a presenter? John Davidson, he was He wasn't a presenter. He was in the audience. He was just in the audience because he was up for winning something. Yes, so you're saying he shouldn't be even allowed to be in the audience.
Speaker 1: If he has. If he says the N word and other things like that in high stress situations and has screamed those kind of things out, maybe there's another maybe he can go into, like the control room. Maybe he can watch from backstage in a green room. It's not like he's going to storm the stage. It's not like he's a bad guy or in no way I am. I'm very supportive of this guy. I feel really awful for him and the way that the Internet has come down on him. But I also think these things have to be handled better. Maybe you don't stick him in the audience, like if he can't not do that right. So it says the BBC apologizes to staff over N word inclusion as bad have to announces a comprehensive review. So BAFTAs they're taking a look at it Center's studio. I guess that whatever studio did. They say that they raised N word use with BAFTA immediately as Google, I don't understand what this means. Deeply sorry for offensive notification. That doesn't make any sense. BBC producers say they didn't hear the N word slur as they were working in a truck, so they were like in video village and say they didn't hear it.
Speaker 2: Possible, so they weren't in the room, so they weren't picking up like room No.
Speaker 1: I mean I heard it, and I heard it, saw the clip, but they really picking up like what was happening in people's microphones maybe right exactly, So they didn't hear even what the audience heard. That's exactly right, right, they were only picking up what was yeah, through video village.
Speaker 2: That's a hard one. But then but they they got free Palestine out of there. They did what was that said by a presenter or did somebody just in the audience yell back?
Speaker 1: And I'm sure it was probably I would assume it was a winner of something, somebody that took the stage and had a speech.
Speaker 2: Okay, So that's why they stick that out because they heard it right exactly. It wasn't coming from the audience, now right, This was coming through the audience. So that's a tricky situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because oh here's Sue said it. The director at Canallo Davis Junior's speech. So I don't know what he won for, but he yelled free Palestine and they heard that because he was on stage giving a speech, right, and they took that out.
Speaker 2: So I don't think that that's like a purposeful thing. I don't think they were like, well, we we were more in favor of free Palestine and we don't really care about the N word. It sounds to me like that's actually nobody's fault, right, right, And then here's the problem. Okay, So if you want to say, like, hey, people with tourette stay home, how do you how do you enforce that? Like do you just go like, hey, on your honor, guys, if you have Tourette's and you might yell the inWORD out, like, don't come here because you can't you know what I'm saying, Like once he's very sware. Here, here's what it says on the Guardian be awful to go, Hey, we know you you're up for this award, but we can't allow you because you might yell something inappropriate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, do you think that that high school kids should have been in the audience yelling I have a gun, I'm going to kill you all and then screening every five minutes in the corner. Should that be? Is that acceptable? Like to me, it is absolutely unacceptable. There's just no question, Like I'm gonna Larry david this, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Like no way, like absolutely not, and the theaters what I'm asking. But the problem is I'm just saying from a like human rights perspective, like from a yes, everybody's comfort perspective, I'm just playing devil's advocate. I don't know how you are, how you go people with Tourette syndrome are not welcome at shows? How do you do that?
Speaker 1: I mean you could do that with anything like here for example, says in The Guardian, what could have been done question Mark? Well, Davidson himself. They're saying could make that, could have made the decision to leave the event, which I don't know if he did or not. Perhaps there could have been a conversation in advance about him attending only a chosen part of the ceremony, right the part where he was up for the award, and about what the risks were, and surely no one was better informed about those risks than Davidson himself. The BBC should have cut the offending language. But as we just talked about, they say they didn't hear it because they were in video village, right. But it says back to the BBC and everyone else has got to stop using these words, the words of quasi apology. From the stage, we heard the dread phrase phrase, we apologize if you are offended tonight. So I guess someone said that if you were offended. So people are mad about that because a lot of people were. Oh, I think Alan Cumming he was the host, and he said at some point he said, we are asking for a respectful space for everyone. So it was so crazy that he had to actually say something about it. Damn.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's such a it's it's a heart it's a tough one. It's a tough one because you know, yes, of course I'm not saying knee jerk reaction, but it's horrible and offensive and hurting people that are just there to get their damn awards. On the other hand, how do you just go like that's it, that's offensive. You could you might end up being offensive tonight, so you can't come.
Speaker 1: It is other things you say. You either tell the present every presenter listen. We do have tourettes is on the table like this documentary is, you know, so we do have people here from in that situation, so words could be said, so let's talk about it, and that didn't happen. They could have had him just come in for his segment, not for the entire show, right, but reasonable.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I'm asking? Do you do you know where I'm coming from. I'm saying, so, okay, who's they bafta the p of the producers? So the producers would take him aside, John Davidson aside and say, hey, uh, we don't know if we're going to let you be here tonight in the audience because you have tourettes and you could say something offensive, well, yeah, or at least have a conversation. What do you think?
Speaker 1: He doesn't like it any more than anybody else, Like he's he's mortified. You know, it's not easy, but he's going through is terrible as well. And I don't think he wants to necessarily be in that situation either, I.
Speaker 2: Know what I'm saying, Like if he did, if he was worried that he was going to say the N word, then that would have been something he I'm not saying he wasn't, But then wouldn't that have been on him? As you're saying to go like, yeah, I probably shouldn't come, Yes, maybe maybe I don't. I guess it's just I think it's like.
Speaker 1: She's so exad about it. He's he says, now he's spoken out, and he said he's deeply mortified if anyone considers my involuntary ticks be intentional or to carry any meaning. And a lot of people online are going, yeah, exactly, watch the documentary and you'll understand, which people are like, no, no, no, we do understand. But it's still a terrible position to put two black men on stage to be hurled the N word at. You know, I get I get both sides, I really really do.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think that's the whole point of covering this is like to to think about both sides. You know. But what if let me pose this to you really quick, let me pose this to you. What if okay, now this is going to be a conspiracy theory. What if the whole thing is a setup to bring attention.
Speaker 1: Some people take the threats there are totally really I think, oh my god. Tons of people they're like, oh, okay, so now everybody's going to watch the documentary, right, I don't think that.
Speaker 2: I well, now I want to watch it.
Speaker 1: I mean I want to watch it anyway to support but by the way, we missed this. He also Davidson also praised the BAFTA organizers for notifying the audience about his pick beforehand and clarifying that they don't reflect his personal beliefs. So they did do something.
Speaker 2: So they did the thing that you asked them to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So it's weird that the Guardian and Sky News have two totally different accounts of what happened. But he said, quote, I was heartened by the round of applause that followed the announcement, and I felt welcomed and understood an environment that would normally be impossible for me. Okay, that's great.
Speaker 2: And then what if after he yelled out the N word, he just got a round of applause, and then everybody gets mad and the people are like, oh no, that's not we were not applauding the word.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, stop.
Speaker 2: And then he just keeps saying every word.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's okay, so it says the host ellen Coming subsequently did acknowledge the interruption and explained again about Taurette's in a statement. Baptist said that the slur was a source of incomparable trauma and pain for so many and they were so sorry for putting their guests in a very difficult situation. And yeah, I mean, but if you see the fighting on Twitter and threads like oh my god, like nobody's coming to get there here, and a lot of people, a lot of beautiful people have been real quick to throw us Jew's astray. They're like, if it was do it, if they said the K word, I guarantee that wouldn't be on there, Like yeah, would I want you know what I mean, yes, if they didn't hear it in the video village, they're going to hear that either from the audience.
Speaker 2: Well, that is crazy to know what I mean. First of all, the N word is worse than the K word. I mean to most people, they'd be they'd absolutely if they were going to say something to either way.
Speaker 1: I agree, pretty you same, They're pretty the same to me.
Speaker 2: Your point is that they wouldn't have stopped that because people are more accepting of that, is what I'm saying exactly exactly. Nobody would be like, oh my god they said that. They'd be like, well yes, dreads, or they'd be like what's that? Yeah, So I don't understand, like why and any excuse to like throw the Jew down the well.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know either. It's really and it happened really quickly, and I mean, I'm gonna just say just to save your sanity, like don't look, because it's really bad. And it's like thousands of people are saying the same thing if this were a Jew, probably the Jews, and they're like, well, why did we catch astray on this one? That's nothing, like give me a break. That's just crazy. So this was a really tricky sitch. I feel for everyone, and I feel for anybody that you know, had to.
Speaker 2: Hear the word.
Speaker 1: It's terrible, and especially in a situation like that. And I really feel for this guy who's like I knew a guy in high school. He had really bad charettes. And it's it's it's a certain type of chrettes. It starts with a C. I'm sorry. You guys probably know it. And it's those kind of vocal ticks. There's like some that are just vocal ticks where you don't say words, you just kind of grunt or whatever. And sometimes it's just facial ticks. But sometimes it's like they say, you know, the ones where they just say all the things. Sometimes it's nonsensical. But a lot of times it's like the thing you're not which all ticks are all it is. It's threats. It's true.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's part of it's a syndrome, and it's a it's like eight years old, yeah, yeah, or younger, but we might not have noticed it. But yeah, my kids Xander.
Speaker 1: Oh, Xander has so what are the like, Yeah.
Speaker 2: He it's he does. He does like hard blinks. He has not had vocal tics, so there's a bit different. Yeah, well it's all under the Tourette's umbrella. It's just not vocal tics. It's physical tics, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Right, So the the vocal tics. There was a guy I went to high school with. He had the vocal tics, and he would say pretty crazy things in the middle of math class, and you know, it was a little bit it was a little bit of a more accepting because it was a performing art. It's high school, you know, so it was sort of like, that's just John.
Speaker 2: Now, let me ask you this, because you were telling me this before we got on the air. So some people are saying that part of the tick is saying the thing that you're most like nervous about saying it's yes, because some people might be going like, well, maybe the tick is like stuff that you'd want to say, you know what I'm saying, Like it's like being drunk. Oh no, oh, you actually kind of mean that and it just comes out when your tick comes out. But but you've read that that's not the case. That it's like no, absolutely, it's the worst thing you could say.
Speaker 1: Your brain makes you say it, and you're the OCD. You have it. Torett's is part of an OCD, so you really can't even you can't control it. It's completely involuntary. So you get to this part where you're thinking about don't say this word. Don't say this word until you have to say the word like an explosion of anxiety, and you say it. It's the thing your brain just literally makes you say it. So it's and some people are arguing, they're like, well, why would you even know that word? Everybody knows that anybody was listened to like a rap song or like seeing watched a Tarantino move. I mean that's crazy, Like that's crazy.
Speaker 3: The type of Tretts is called copro co copper little co o p r O l A l I A that's how that's spelled.
Speaker 1: And it's really hard. The guy that I knew that had it in high school, things didn't work out for him. It was really awful. His life was really awful and it ended really early. And yeah, no, I mean it was like he tried to hide a lot, you know, he tried to push it down with drugs, or at least if he was doing a bunch of drugs, he could be like that's why I'm saying these weird crazy like at a certain point it was so outrageous that he just couldn't take it.
Speaker 2: You know. That's really sad.
Speaker 1: It is really sad, and that's certainly not the case. And I know other people that have tourettes. I don't know anybody that I can think of that has it the vocal ones, but more like what Xander has, like body you know, face tics, facial ticks and stuff, and they live a perfectly wonderful life with partners and job. You know, nothing's changed for them. Like I know a lot of people that have the blinking one for sure, and it's usually not the case, but it definitely should be talked about more. I mean, I think that's this documentary is so important and it sucks that's how it went down. But maybe maybe they did do it on purpose. No, then then that would make this guy a total dick, and I don't think he is. Yeah, anyway, guys, I think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you? Yeah, what do y'all think? Like, whose side are you on?
Speaker 1: Mine?
Speaker 2: Like a devil?
Speaker 1: Mine or the devil or God or Jesus or the Buddha or bafta or I mean, I think there's a world in which you can be on the side of everyone involved and just say, like we can just we just need to do better. But just don't look at Twitter serious, Yeah, I would yea, Threads is becoming worse than Twitter. It's a little bit smarter, like it's a little bit more focused, but pretty mean, pretty terrible. And again, like God, the anti Semitism coming at us. Just from that, I'm like, well what yeh, all right, everybody, all right, thanks for being here, thanks for listening, tell us what you think. Yeah, rest
Speaker 2: Bye bye