Speaker 1: I'm Ali. I came out after twenty years of marriage and I have three kids.
Speaker 2: I'm Melissa and I have two kids, and I came out at thirty seven after an eleven year marriage.
Speaker 1: This podcast is about coming out later and the struggles and victories that come with it.
Speaker 2: When coming out feels like the end of the world, but it's really just the beginning.
Speaker 3: This is the Lesbian Chronicles, just kidding, just getting Wait, no, this is it. Yeah, welcome to the Lesbian Chronicled where I've done this show a thousand times and I still really don't know how to dude.
Speaker 4: It's like you.
Speaker 2: Change one variable and we're like the minions running around here like every single time.
Speaker 1: I'm like, how is it that every time the chords change, I need a different connector I need different headphone?
Speaker 2: What is this?
Speaker 4: Cactes me what?
Speaker 1: We've come a long way. We thought we'd have a little time before our guest arrived, but I see her in the waiting room.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so what do you think that this beautiful bouquet? It is very pretty and it smells really good. It's for book club. Nice, right, I like it.
Speaker 1: I think you're going to be really impressed with what you're getting for dinner tonight. Okay, something tells me you're going to be very excited.
Speaker 4: What is it? Frozen pizza?
Speaker 1: Pizza? Okay, let's let our guest do.
Speaker 4: All right, she's waited long enough, Rebecca. Can you hear us?
Speaker 5: I hear you? Yeah, hold on one second?
Speaker 4: Great? Oh my goodness? Yes, right?
Speaker 5: What's that? You look adorable? We here?
Speaker 1: Where you are?
Speaker 5: What the hell? Melissa? That's right? I you know it's really over here?
Speaker 1: Are you setting up together with a guest?
Speaker 5: Like this is set up for us? We're cool? Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 1: Out and then we'll have a guest or we're together.
Speaker 5: Just the two of us.
Speaker 4: Yes, gotcha, gotcha.
Speaker 1: I'm even slightly not trusting, do you?
Speaker 5: I don't you know what?
Speaker 4: That's a good point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, what do you think about?
Speaker 5: Stand by?
Speaker 4: Stand by?
Speaker 5: One second?
Speaker 3: Totally?
Speaker 5: Yeah, totally we get it.
Speaker 1: Looking how every single thing we do is a technical nightmare.
Speaker 5: It's okay. I'm with you, and it is. We can also blame it on mercury and retrograde.
Speaker 1: I thinks let's blame it ont satorade.
Speaker 5: Let's do it. I love that.
Speaker 1: Where in California? Are you?
Speaker 4: Rebecca?
Speaker 5: I'm in, do you guys with Orange County? Yeah, I'm in Woman Dana Point, Gunna Beecheria.
Speaker 4: Okay, oh yeah, Data Point. That's where all the dolphins and whites.
Speaker 5: That's right, the whales. Yeah, whale watching. It's famous for that.
Speaker 2: I did a tour there and it was one of the coolest things I've ever done.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, good because I was actually thinking of doing one. I've never done it myself since I've lived here for two years now. The best. But it was cool, Okay, yeah, awesome.
Speaker 2: It's beautiful there, and I did a whale watching thing where you go out on the the like little raft kind of motor boat right there, an actual.
Speaker 5: Like ship like yeah watching ship. Oh, that's cool.
Speaker 4: So they were darting around. We saw a gray whale. Wow, the blue whale. The blue ones the biggest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but the gray whalers, I guess the ones. Well, I think we're known for all of them in this is it's the biggest place in the world. Yeah, in the world, I think right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the second most populated for dolphins in the world. I think, next behind like South Africa or something like that, or South America.
Speaker 1: The whale watching tour we did on the big boat. The whales were as big as school buses and they would literally come up and come banging down, and the whole boat would just be like the kids are throwing up off the front. But I'm literally like I couldn't even believe my eyes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is wild.
Speaker 5: It's majestic, majestic.
Speaker 1: You can't even believe it. You're like, is this real? But is that with those whales that are that big. Let's say I jumped in, Are they messing with me at all?
Speaker 4: Or thinks so friendly jumped in?
Speaker 1: Well, you know, like I thought about like I remember the seat, the seat, the trainer, and she got the whale took her out.
Speaker 5: But so do you think that was Well, then there's that.
Speaker 1: Do you remember do you remember that Blackfish?
Speaker 4: The movie?
Speaker 5: The movie, Yeah, it was a doc was a documentary documentary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I remember. I cried.
Speaker 1: I cried my eyes out.
Speaker 5: Didn't they They ended up taking they killed the whale sucks they had to put it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I can't remember his name. It was like Tanta.
Speaker 5: I bawled my eyes out. It's sad for the woman too, But yes, but why is it that we feel more sad for the.
Speaker 1: Don't admit that I know well, you know, I actually I made my kids watch it like I just because I'm such an animal person. And I remember thinking after like, as I'm in it with them, I'm like, oh, this may not have been a great idea.
Speaker 5: Traumatized exactly exactly, Rebecca, thank you so much for coming on.
Speaker 1: I think re aligne. I think because well I followed you for a little while, but I feel like your your stuff on just transformation and just completely going from one version of yourself to a different version of yourself is exactly who our audience is. I mean, they're blowing up their entire life and say, I'm starting from brick one and where do I go from here?
Speaker 5: So I guess, yeah, perfect.
Speaker 1: Tell us how you kind of tell us a.
Speaker 5: Little bit about you. Yeah, so it's funny you say. I always think of you know, when do we know it's time to change? Right? Like? How did I know that it was time for me to change? Or transform or iterate on who I was? And I always I always quote this quote. I have to write it down because I always botch it. But it's by a Nyas Nin and it's the one that says, and the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. Right, And you've heard it before, probably right, But to me that quote says it all. It's like, until we get so uncomfortable in our current state is the point when we go that's it. I have to change, right, I can't do this one more day. And so for me, that's why I transitioned into I was in you know, my background as fitness. I was a celebrity trainer for years, worked with celebrities as a massage therapist for years, twenty years in that career, and it was a beautiful career. I loved it. But at some point I started to realize as I was evolving as a human and I had started my work at thirty like to find myself and uncover the pain and release the pain. I realized that no matter how many six pack abs I helped people get, no matter what my abs looked like, if my heart was all funky inside, it didn't matter.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 5: And so for me, as I was on this journey in fitness and wellness, I realized that I really wanted to do deeper work in what I did with the people that I worked with. My work has always been about transformation. Like before it was from the outside in and now it's from the inside out. But for my own yeah, for my own personal growth. What happened for me was I just one day I woke up. I was it was ten years ago, and I was like, I can't count one more set of reps for a client, one more day. I can't do it. I'm really good, I'm a really I was a great trainer, Like it was a great career, and I'm really good at it. I'm passionate. Everything I do, I'm passionate about so it's good. But I'm like, I'm just collecting checks at this point. It just doesn't my heart's not in it anymore. And so finally I said, I started putting it out to the universe. I need to grow, I need to evolve into a different career, different iteration. But it's scary, right, you've been doing something twenty years and then you're kind to just pivot like that.
Speaker 1: And I had how you fall your.
Speaker 5: Bills and that's how I pay bread and butter. Yeah, And I was like, h this is risky, but I just knew that I couldn't do it. The pain was too great. So I was like, I can't do it anymore. And I started putting out to the universe, what could I do? What could I do? How can I go deeper? I still want to help people transform, but I'm not a therapist. I'm not going to get a therapy to I don't believe in no disrespect talk therapy. So I'm like, I don't want to do that. And even if I got the degree that that doesn't resonate. And so I was in the middle of a really bad breakup and somebody said to me and I loved the person I was, I loved her. I was like, I love you. I love you, but I want to help you, but you're not changing and you're staying the same. And it was toxic and I but I couldn't leave. So I was stuck. I was frozen. And so someone said, go try breath work, and I was like, I'll try anything. One of your guys. I went and I tried it, and I had this really beautiful like they call it, you get cracked open, And it happened. I got cracked open, and even though I had tons of tools from work i'd done starting at thirty all the way till that age I think I was fifty something, and I it was a new level for me that it cracked open another layer, so more things came out of me and released and I was able to navigate through. I loved the breath work so much, so I'm like, oh, this is the thing, this is the thing. If I learned this, study this, I'm going to teach this.
Speaker 4: And so that's I'm curious about.
Speaker 1: Like when you say you have like a breath work breakthrough, is it like, yeah, you go to a session and like, right, then you have a breakthrough or is it like over the course of many sessions working with someone it finally happened or.
Speaker 5: What No, it does not even mean yeah, so so good, thank you for asking that, because it's actually in the experience you, I mean, if you've ever done it's called conscious circular breathing. Just to be clear, it's different than meditative breath work. It's different than when might I do a protocol of breathing such as a four seven eight breath or box breathing, which is those I always call those are prescriptive, right, And you know, if you do box breathing, you'll calm down. You know, if you do four seven eight, that's known to help you get sleepy at night. So those have a prescription. You do four sets of that, and then you're going to get sleepy. You do three sets of box breathing and you have calmness, or you get a breath of fire, you get energy. Right, But conscious circular breathing is literally like a box of chocolates. You never know what the experience will be. And it's meant to crack you open, help you release stuff, help you excavate what I call the bs, and to get to your truth and to get Yeah, it's a really really beautiful practice, and so it literally gets it shuts off what it does it's doing. It shuts off your prefrontal cortex, our thinking brain, our executive functioning brain, so that we can tap into our heart. So we shut this off long enough to get connected here. And as soon as we do that, most people find that as soon as they do any kind of breath. Even in my coaching sessions, I'll have my clients just close their eyes and do three deep breaths with me, and there's often just tears because I put on music, and I say a few things to them for two or three minutes before we start, and there's tears because how many times do we stop long enough to connect here?
Speaker 3: Never?
Speaker 5: Not very often? Right, yeah, unless we're in a practice that says this is how we do it, we slow down but yet quiet.
Speaker 1: How do you like? Your client comes in and then how do you get them to like? Because my mind's racing, we'll never stop.
Speaker 4: It's like, how do you do that?
Speaker 5: Well, let's test it. Oh boy, right, let's test it, so for fun, for fun, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Okay, So what I usually do.
Speaker 5: A client comes to me and I say, okay, they know because they've been working with me, and even on their first session they don't know. And I go, I always start my class, my session, my whatever with breath. So the first thing we're going to do, and I'm looking at and I'm getting them comfortable, Like, the first thing we're gonna do today is just breathe together, and I make it not a big deal. We're just gonna take some breaths and I'm gonna cue you. You don't have to think about anything. All you got to do is drop in.
Speaker 4: Is that cool with you?
Speaker 5: And they're like, yeah, that's cool, Well let's do it. And so then I go, okay, I'm gonna add some music. And then I put on some really beautiful music, which I would do, but I don't want to mess up your soundboard. And I put on some really sweet, soft instrumental music okay, and I say, all you got to do is close your eyes. So if you want to do that, just close your eyes with me for a second, okay. And then from there, all we're doing is letting our energy softening. I know you're like a ash and we yeah, and let your energy soften. Let your body just mellow for a second. And then we're just taking in a big, deep breath in through the nose, into the chest, into the belly and opening the mouth, big audible side.
Speaker 3: Let it go.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna do that two more times, right, And that's how I coach them through it. We do it again, we do it again, and they before they can even know, they've already dropped in. Oh wow, because I know we're kind of surfacely doing it here, but like if I had music and you guys were really into it, you would drop in. It's not even a question. It's like I've never had anyone not be able to and it's because I sort of catch them off guard and then I don't make it a big deal. I'm like, all we're gonna do is take some breaths, right, and then for that those two or three, and they also say, you have a really soothing voice, so that they say all these things, yeah, well, thank you, thank you, and so and I'm really aware of how to speak to someone because I know they're coming from a buzzy, busy head. Why they're there, traffic, they're at work, and I'm that way, so I don't for me and even by the way, they don't know, but I'm doing it for me too. I have breath too, so I can ground so that I give them a really bad ass coaching session and we're connected because when we're if we come in and we're both like buzzing and their head's there, my head's over there, We're never we're gonna be like this, right, not like this, and I want this in the session. I want connectedness, right, and so yeah, So it's not as hard as you think. It's just it takes a little bit of folk. It takes a little commitment of like I really want this. I wanted to turn this brain off for a minute.
Speaker 1: So when you did it for yourself, which turned you on to it, like whatped like they did that with you basically as a client.
Speaker 5: And then what happened so well, Actually I went to a class, so I used to teach at. I ended up teaching at this same studio where I first experienced. It was called the Den Meditation Center. Maybe some of your listeners if they might have been there, if they lived in La or live in La. And I went and I took a class with someone who facilitates about an hour long experience, and there was fifty other people in there, and we all get the instructions of how it's going to go down, and the instructor walks us through it, and we all lay down and we just start breathing, and there's music playing and the coaches talking to us, and it was really beautiful. Like I wasn't the only one by the way crying my eyes out. So much tears came out that I literally had to pass tissues around at the end, Like it always happens that way. People are yelling, people are crying, people are it's basically a cathartic release if you if you know, like why we do that, right, because we have so much emotions that are stuck and cathartic releasing or somatic shaking or you know, body wiggling or writhing. It's called is meant to release energy. It's just stuck in us and we all have it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, facinating.
Speaker 2: Now you mentioned something about you know, not being like really into talk therapy, which of course is your own view. But I'm wondering if when this breath work is happening, if people do kind of after be like, you know, this thing came up in my mind that I'd never considered before.
Speaker 4: Is it almost like an internalized talk therapy?
Speaker 5: I guess, yeah, Oh, interesting to say it like that, But well, yes, what happens is we sometimes people will say to me after because then I started to teach it, right, Then I studied and I got certified, and then I became a teacher myself, and so over years of teaching, people would say things to me like, ah, it was out of my body. It was an out of body experience. And I was lower crofton tomborate or chasing dragons in the Amazon, and I met my grandmother that I never got to say goodbye to or all I want to do is go home and hug my kids and my wife and tell her how much I love her because I've been avoiding her or not being present, and like we just have AHAs and all that's really happening is we're getting this thing is shutting off. Once our brain shuts off and we could drop to our hearts. That is where our truth is. Everyone's truth is here, but we don't take time to connect to it. So when we see the truth or feel the truth, we're like, oh, there's that thing I want to work on. Oh I've been really shitty to that person. I need to apologize. Oh I needed to forgive this person. I'm going to do it as soon as I get home. And all of that happens when we gets quiet enough. That's why meditation and silent retreats are really popular too, so that we can turn this fucking ring off. Yeah yeah, and connect to what I.
Speaker 1: Love that because it's like to make it a regular practice, like to do that, like I never cry, Like I just said this to someone. I have lots of stress right now. I have huge things happening, and it's like I'll be talking to a friend and she's bawling about something and then she'll say, God, that felt so good, and I'm like, what's wrong with me? I'm like, I have horrible things happening and I never cried. It's almost like it's blocked.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, one hundred percent. That's That's what I would say, is that it probably is blocked, and or there's a couple of ways we could look at it. It's blocked but not on purpose, or it's suppressed and repressed purposely, like your nervous system is like, holy shit, I'm sorry, which are you listening?
Speaker 1: I'm Ali, Melissa, you.
Speaker 4: Guys, Usually we're not.
Speaker 2: We're on our.
Speaker 4: Because people get all I.
Speaker 5: See is Alison one name, because you're sharing it and so yeah, Ali, yes, yes, and Melissa okay. So because Ali, you know, often our nervous system wants to protect the brain a migdila's job where we fight flight that stress response part of our brain and the nervous system the job is to protect us and keep us safe. Right, So imagine your body, your spirit, your mind is smart enough to know that if Ali were to really address all the things that are stressing you out and deal with maybe some things you maybe pushed aside or whatever. You might have a complete breakdown right now, and you have some things going. You just said, I have some things happening right now. I can't probably afford to have a meltdown. So your nervous system and your brain and all that's keeping you safe, but not really safe, only safe for now by not letting you feel it. This is one hypothesis, right, So it's suppression and repression on purpose so that you can keep functioning. That You've heard the term high functioning addict or high functioning over whatever, right like people can still keep going even though they're in addiction, even though they are toxic, even though whatever whatever. They keep their job, they keep the roof of it, They get their kids to school on time. High functioning so that they keep going in the world. But underneath it, they could be a fucking mess. Not suggesting you or I'm saying.
Speaker 1: That, Rebecca, I no, no, for real, let me let me share how that's not fair.
Speaker 5: I didn't like that, but but for real, like, what could be happening is that your body is trying to protect you from melting down now. But I always say is you can't outrun the pain. You either go after it or it comes after you eventually. Right for right now, you have lots going on, but as soon as you get quiet and slow down, maybe it's going to hit you.
Speaker 1: I do remember, And we have a friend who lives in the neighborhood who's a friend of the pod who she and I talked about how like when I was getting divorced. This was years ago, but how like when I had the kids, I was high functioning. I would go to school, big smile, I did pta, I did everything. Then the minute they would go to their dads, I would cry and I would just be able to like I something came over me where I'm like, Okay, I guess now it's.
Speaker 4: Safe to cry.
Speaker 5: That's right, boy, just hit it on the head booth.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'd say sometimes, so now I'm gonna cry. But I noticed, like even in therapy to your point, like in my talk therapy, I don't ever cry, like nothing ever gets to it. Like occasionally something will.
Speaker 2: But I yeah, you almost feel like even with your therapist, the person that's like supposed to not judge you whatsoever, you're still like have that block garden.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a guard yeah, which is why. And again no disrespect, right because I you know I tried it for years. Yeah, yeah, absolutely, and in tandem. That is why I always say tuck therapy doesn't work alone in my opinion, my humble opinion, but in tandem with some somatic practices, with NLP, with hypno, with breath work, with journaling, with anger rentsing and anger releasing, it's amazing because then you can have all these body experiences where you can release the emotion. Give that. I always say the emotion has to have airtime. If it doesn't, it shows up as it's you're heavy, you're depressed, you're angry, you're stressed, you're looping in your brain all the fucking time. And that's how the emotion is getting sort of processed but not really processed. How do you it's activated emotion. It needs airtime, So to me, I always say it needs airtimes. It's it's just a messenger, like when we're sad. It's like the sadness just wants to say, hey, I don't like the way you're being treated or I'm being treated, so I need you to hear me. And there's going to be tears because you need to leave this relationship. But when we don't listen to it and we push it down, we stuff it. We have a drink, we tap out, we gamble, we sex out, whatever we do to soothe the pain and not address it. Then it's just living inside our by We're getting sick, we're getting angry or depressed or said so the emotion just wants airtime. Once it gets airtime, it's like, oh, I've said what I needed to say. Now I'm free. Now you're free to go. Then the emotion can leave you.
Speaker 1: But you got to under each other or do I have to like say it to the person like I think sometimes Melissa and I will have a situation with other people and we'll tell each other like, dude, I'm fucking pissed right now, like this shit happened. But it's like I rarely go to the source of my problem. I know exactly what it is, I know my thing, and I can't It's like I don't do that. But does the airtime? Is it okay to just have a friend that gets it or in breath work you get it air zo, yes.
Speaker 5: One hundred percent, Like you know, do we The ideal scenario is we always want to be able to go to the source of the conflict or the issue or the concern. And that's where healthy communication comes into play. Because if you go to the person, you're like, you pissed me the fuck off, You're an asshole, I hate you. That gets nowhere. But if you go, hey, I've been sitting with something and got it.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 5: I that conversation and my belly was in a not and my heart was beating fast, and I need to talk to you. Are you cool with like having a deep conversation. I just want to express what I felt, and you open it that way, in a kind, loving, approachable way. Now, if they refuse you that you have, you can't do anything. You can't repair it with them. You can repair on your own. And that's where stuff like working with a coach like me comes in because I know how to help people repair on their own. Sometimes the people are dead that they're upset with or sad or about, or angry with, or were traumatized by. But you could still heal those wounds, right, You just have to understand how, and you know which modality to use. And usually it's a bunch of things, it's not just one thing. Sometimes I say. I always say, like I think of like my tools. I wear them like as a tool belt around my belly. I got, you know, I got journaling for that. I got a pen and a paper I got then I got a bat and a pillow for anger works, and then I got a yoga mat for justs meditation, and then I got you know, all these things. So I'm wearing this tool all the time. And usually I could pull one tool, know how to use it, and it fixes it. Sometimes I got to pull all ten tools out, keep trying shit, and then finally one hits and it goes away. The pain, the heavy the fear of the anger, whatever it is.
Speaker 2: I think that resonates with a lot of our listeners, given like you know the experience of all coming out and there's so much suppressed emotions that we have.
Speaker 1: Sexuality has been suppressed, yeah for sometimes twenty thirty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's yeah, there's a lot buried there. And then like the layers the guilt, like Ali was saying, the shah, yeah, the shame. Yeah, holding it together for your kids. I mean I did the same thing, you know. I would take little bathroom breaks, go lay on my heated bathroom floor and cry my eyeballs out for twenty minutes and then have to be like, all right, I gotta go back and make sure the kids are going you know, yeah, yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 5: And those little breaks are sort of I was explained to a client the other day about like, you know, you know what happens when we shake this bottle, Like imagine this is a can of coke, right, we shake it, shake a shake it and then I open it. Right, remember as a kid used to mess with like shake it and then squirt it somebody when you open it, right, same kind of thing, Like our emotions need to be the cap needs to be released so that they can as they come up, they can bubble out, they can release the pressure. But when we don't do like little things like what you did, Melissa, where you would lay on the floor, you were like letting some steam off, which was perfect because imagine if you hadn't done those little cries on the floor. And I don't know how long it happened before you exited the marriage and how long you were suppressing all that, but imagine you didn't take the little cry breaks, even how angry and sad and depressed and heavy you would have been finally when you were free. But that's why, you know, instead of like shaking, shaking, shaking and keeping the top on, we have to shake a little, release a little, yeah, shake a little, shake a little, release a little, so that we have more wholemeostasis in our body and our nervous system isn't always in fight or flight, yeah, or suppression, and then we're heavy and depressed or angry so that we go from zero to sixty and explode on everybody.
Speaker 1: Or for no reason, said like Melissa was getting physically sick. Yeah, it was like, what's wrong with me? I'm physically sick all the fucking time?
Speaker 4: Like I could not eat.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, I'd lost I think fifteen pounds during my whole coming out process divorce and really, I mean, of course.
Speaker 4: You know, talking about it was a big thing.
Speaker 2: Joining Ali and I met in a group for women coming out later that was huge, but really starting to tell people too, like like you're saying the release of that's right, I'm.
Speaker 5: Kidding yeah yeah yeah, And hearing yourself say it right, and then having others witness it, hearing yourself say it without a filter or shame or and the first time we say it, it feels shame. There's shame, ye, But each time you say it, more and more and more less shame less, shame less shame. And then when you get around a bunch of people that support it and love it and say, oh my god, I love you no matter what. Oh my god, that doesn't matter. I still love you. You can't make me not love you, right like, And then we hear that, and that just makes the next time we say I'm gay so much easier because every time we get a little more love on the word, you know, and that feeling that we had it just kind of dissipates, right.
Speaker 1: True, it is so true, it is every time we have it. It's like got easier. Every time we went out to like a function, we both got a little and stronger. Have you heard of she mentioned anger rintsing?
Speaker 4: Have you ever heard? I haven't heard of that, but yeah, tell us, Oh my god.
Speaker 5: It's one of my favorite modalities that I use with with people. And you know, unfortunately one of the people who need it the most, or anyone who's had to suppress sexuality and is shame based around it. So it's perfect for lesbian community. We should have a group, and like, I don't know, I know I should offer like a workshop or where we can all get together and do this. I love that idea. Actually it actually is a really beautiful practice. But if you think about anger, and I say to you, what do we think anger is masking what's underneath anger? If you had to guess the fevere emotion fear fear specifically, thos, sadness is the main one. Hurt the main one, right, because why like, so we get hurt, and then what do we want to do normally if we're sad? What's our first instinct? If we're depressed, sad, lonely.
Speaker 1: Either isolate, lash out, okay, so.
Speaker 5: Lash out or I mean sorry, so isolate and we do that. Sometimes people go to bed to pull the covers over the head to get depressed. They don't want to get out of bed. So it's a heavy emotion that makes you stay stuck, you get paralyzed. Right, So that's hurt, sadness. That kind of energy makes us usually want to stay put. Now anger, if you put anger on top of that, anger is a movement energy. Think of all the things that have come out of people being angry, mothers against drunk drivers, right, she was sad her I think a daughter or son was killed by a drunk driver. Instead of staying in the depression, she turned angry and the anger made her move and create something beautiful. So anger is a good emotion. It's just saying there's some hurt there, but you need to keep moving. You gotta keep bills paid, you gotta go to work, you gotta you have to start a foundation or whatever. Right, So anger can be useful. Where it's not useful, well, it's always trying to tell you something, so we always want to hear the message. But when it's not useful is when you explode on people you love or implode and hurt yourself. So imploding looks like cutting, using, sexing, gambling, drinking too much, do whatever, right, So using getting addicted and then we're imploding or exploding means going to zero from zero to sixty on the people we love that don't deserve it. So what we do with anger rinsing is we get all of that layer out of the body first through a practice which I lead people through, and it's basically imagine you know, when you go into a gym, you're punching a punching bag. So imagine if I'm coaching, and this isn't the way I do it, I do it a different way. But imagine that you were punching on a punching bag and I said to you, now say all the words that your body's feeling from that energy of punches. Right, So that's a really strong aggressive energy, right, And imagine I said to you, not say all the people that you're frustrated with as you punchy, get it out of your body, get it an airtime and then But we do it in a practice where it actually feels like you could do it freely, like in a gym. You would never do that, right. It's embarrassing to swear at the bag. But I'll just tell you the real way I do it. I usually do it with people with a tennis racket on a big, huge pillow, okay, and we're taking the racket and we're beating it like literally, not physically to hurt anyone. We're beating the pillow safe and we're saying words of anger to get it out of our body. Then as soon as we're done, usually what happens is a and drops into a ball in a fetal position, and tears immediately erupt out of their body immediately, because underneath that anger that now I say, keep going till you're done. Get all the words out, fuck you, mom, fuck you dad, fuck you society, all the people that hurt me and rape me and abuse me. Get it out, get it out, get it out. And then when it's done, they sink, they shrink into this ball of the hurt that now has the voice. It didn't have the voice because the anger was on top. And when the anger's on top, you're just walking around like a ball of fuck the world. Yeah, right, angry are you just keep moving so you could doing but like underneath you're either heavy and blocked or sad but not showing it, or you feel numb. The other one is numb and empty inside. Yeah, And so that that's because the anger is running, angers running the show. So once we get it out, then the next step is we do a writing. So while they're crying, I let them get the tears out. So that may go on for thirty minutes, I don't know how long, if everyone's different. And then we do a writing. What's the letter you would write to you at three, four or five of what you really wished would have happened in that scenario. That scenario, what did you need that person to say? How'd you need them to show up? What are you sad that they didn't understand who you were in the world? Why did they shame you for being gay? Write about it. Then we get it out through writing, and our brain is witnessing the understanding and the processing of it, and then we get up and we shake it out and they've had a full cycle experience. So when people say anger management or anger work, there's different styles of it. My style I like to think of it, I call it rinse it. It's an actual full process and we rinse it through a whole process. Each letter stands for something in the process, so each one has a thing and it's a real full practice so that at the end you feel complete. Like if you just do anger work and you don't process the hurt underneath, you walk out with all this adrenaline rushing through your body and you didn't process it to close the loop. So the real way, as you get the anger out, address the hurt underneath, process the hurt, then don't learn from it. What do I need to learn? What boundaries? Do I need to set in the future. How do I need to honor myself? How do I reclaim my voice again? How can I stand in my strength and not shrink? And then we get up and we do some mantras and some affirmations and we reclaim our power and then booth, they're free to go.
Speaker 1: Is that like over a course of multiple sessions or is that like a two hour session?
Speaker 5: Or it could be like a power session with me, I've done it like that. It's workshops sometimes that I offer. I haven't done one in a while. I actually want to again because I think the world needs it right now. And people sometimes come to me when they coach with me, because they coach for three to six months with me. We start. It depends on the person. Everyone's different. Like some people can come in right away go through the whole process. Other people have to baby step it because they're not even in touch with their feelings. They don't even know why they can't cry, they don't even know why they are anger. They don't. So I got a little by little pull it out over a period of sessions, and sometimes we can do little you know how I was saying, you got to let a little the steam off. Sometimes we can do little releases, mini releases, I call it in session over the time, and then we do a major one. And then sometimes people come with to me here in Kelly for a three day retreat experienced privately with me, where we go through all the things. We do inner channel healing, we do anger and sing. Yeah, we get all the emotions out and at the end, where basically I call it revealed, we always do a reveal, a release, and then a rise the three hours, so we reveal the pain, we release the pain, and then we rise up after the pain. So that's how I always lead what I do even my coaching, same same philosophy.
Speaker 1: Because it is true you and I have said before where we're like we're numb.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I don't even know a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's almost like our emotions just shut down and completely and there's like this indifference.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like ambivalence. Like you, it's almost like your nervous system can't fucking take it anymore.
Speaker 5: So you're just like, that's exactly what's happening. That's exactly it. You guys are a.
Speaker 1: Couple, were best friends.
Speaker 5: You're just besties. Okay, You're just besties. Okay, because I didn't know your relationship, but like you keep talking like.
Speaker 4: You oh yeah, we live like parallel lives.
Speaker 2: So like with coming out, our processes very much like mirrored each other.
Speaker 4: And then ever since, like it's like we'll both be getting into a new.
Speaker 2: Relationship at the same time, at the same time, we're buying a house at the same time.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it also come to the age where like you start to realize everybody's not safe, and I think, yeah, they're just not You can have friends that are just entertainment fun, friends that aren't truly safe. Melissa and I are safe one hundred percent. So it's just like she could come in here and tell me she killed somebody on the way here, and I'm yeah, let's bury somebody. I don't have too many of those, so I thank you.
Speaker 4: And no, it's I think that's like an important thing.
Speaker 2: So many people focus on romantic relationships, and you know, since coming out, we both realized how important it is just to have your people in your corner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, numbness we've both experienced where we're like I should care right now and I am dead inside.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, and that you know, I want to offer this to both you because and I would even give this guy to you guys as an exercise, even though you're not my clients, like, if you're open to it, if you have you either of you done journaling.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, okay, so we've done a lot of a lot of work.
Speaker 5: So it's I would I would you know because that sentence and you both have said it a couple of times, like I feel dead inside or I just were just numb. It's information because those words have they're trying to tell you something, and the fact that you keep saying I feel numb is important. I'm good. First, I would just invite you to not not listen to that. Yeah, you got to listen to that. There's a reason why your body, your spirit, your soul is saying I feel numb. And what I would do is I usually give this to people who they're not sure why they're numb, even though really you are, like your spirit, your heart knows, like and you truly knew if you could quiet your brain. So I would say, pick out, grab a pen and paper, and you say, I'm not sure why I'm numb, but if I had to guess, here's what it is. So you ask it from a curiosity place rather than I have to know why I'm numb. So the brain is hearing you be open and curious and the minute you pose it like that, I'm not sure why I'm numb. But if I had to guess, here's what it is. And before you and I promise you both if you would take it on as a challenge that if you got into a quiet space, put lit a candle, put on some beautiful music, took some breaths, and then did that just that one question, all of it would come out. You have the and you'd understand why, which then becomes your list of here's the things I need to heal. Right now I know why I'm numb. Let me go get fucking busy right and heal this. Unless you guys are both cool with being numb for the rest of your life, I mean that's an option too, Like I'm not telling you how to fix it.
Speaker 4: I feel like we've gotten better.
Speaker 1: We have gotten better, we have gotten better, but it's been a work in progress. I want to make sure we talk about because I love when you said iterations of yourself, because I think that that is true. It's like when I look back over the course of my life, there's been lots of iterations of Valley and it's continuing to evolve. But I think I'm in the midst of a new iteration now. Like I think I feel that in myself, and I'm curious, Like I think a lot of people go their whole lives and they just are autopilot. They don't reinvent. I think we've read somewhere recently where you most people shed almost all their friends every five to seven.
Speaker 5: Years and start like have new, fresh and fresh, and.
Speaker 1: Like, I think that's kind of aligned with a lot of your work. You're seeing people when they're a new iteration or they're trying to.
Speaker 5: Be or they want to be new. Many many women come to me and they're like, I don't even know who I am anymore, and I find myself again, right, And I always say that I want to find me again. I lost me along the way somewhere. And that's the beginning of which is a really beautiful statement. Okay, then guess what we have. We have a blank slate. You can become anything any you can have any identity, You could be whoever you fucking want right now, because now you've just resigned yourself. You're not attached to the old you, which, by the way, you've probably outgrown, right, So thank god you just said that, because now we got a blank slate. Let's get busy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you want to be?
Speaker 5: What do you want to tract? What kind of relationship do you want? What do you want to do with your life for the next twenty years? And let's get curious about it. And so starting from there, like if you hear yourself saying like, I don't know who I am anymore? I feel love, I don't I don't know what happened to the old me, Well good, because probably the old you wouldn't serve you anymore. Let's create the new you, who, by the way, the old you I always do. You guys know what this is? This is like an old you might not be able to see it. Let me see, I think, And it's an old walkman, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know how.
Speaker 4: I don't know what that could be.
Speaker 5: I'm sixty two, how old you both are? But so so for me like this, I had one of these fuckers this is about on Amazon recently. But back in the day, we used to play tapes, right, and so I use this sometimes to poke fun at, like how we're all wearing and outdated by the way tape recorder iOS system full of programming that no longer serves us, our identity, our beliefs, these old stories that we've told ourselves, that we learned from parents, friends, ex'es, you know whoever, right, and we stuffed all the shit in here says things like I'm too old, it's too late, not sexy or too sexy whatever, right.
Speaker 3: Because.
Speaker 5: Nobody said you laugh, but literally someone said that to me, like, you shouldn't be a life coach. You can't be putting sexy pictures and be a life coach. I'm like, but I have all sides to me, yeah you.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 5: My point I want to close this loop is that so it's full of this bullshit. So what we all should be doing every couple of years is looking at this old tape full of bullshit, this recorder and going, let me dump that and let me see if any of that really matters or is true anymore. Let me question these beliefs, let me question these this identity, let me question the stories I'm caring and if they no longer serve me, they go into trash and let me create some new ones. Let me rewire and reprogram this fucker so that when I'm walking around with it and it serves me. Now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, that's so interesting because I feel like I remember when I was going through the process of coming out and thinking to myself, I'm gay, but I can't change my mind. I decided I was straight when I was in the third grade.
Speaker 4: Girlfriend, you know, I can't go back on this.
Speaker 2: But it's like to give yourself the permission to be that new person. I feel like a lot of people don't. They can't do that for themselves, Like that's too big of a hurdle to get over mentally.
Speaker 5: And then we come back to full circle to what I said at the beginning. When the pain of remaining the same stays too painful, you will fucking change.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right.
Speaker 5: And So if they're if they can't imagine it, and they're just gonna stay it's finney, okay, Then what it might cost them a whole lot of things like authenticity, a full vibrant life. It might cost them like a new relationship because they're scared of love. It might cost them adventuring and taking risks. It will cost them a whole lot but but also staying safe is comfort, safety certainty, right, but you don't get the other thing. It's or the other. You don't get both. So if you want to be a new version, you have to take risks. You have to get a little uncomfortable. You have to face some fears and look at your tape recorder. What's it full of? And you have to do some work on that shit?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Or you could just stay where you are, but then you also miss out on this other, full, vibrant, three D, living color version of your life.
Speaker 1: People are scared to leave things behind. I mean there's people I've had to walk away from. There's it's like, you're scared my marriage. I mean he was safe and sweet, he was all the things, and it was so scary to like walk away from this safety safety safety.
Speaker 5: That's exactly it what we just said, so and and but but I would ask you this, when did it get painful enough to stay the same? Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean I think for me, it's like when the hope of being with a woman overcame, that fear of stang like.
Speaker 5: That and that was more powerful, right, that was more powerful? So she said, fuck it, I want that, and that pulled you towards the and you're like, I'm doing it. It's gonna hurt, it's gonna suck. He's so sweet, I'm gonna break his heart. But this is stronger than that, right, That's exactly what happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it takes people sometimes a while to get to where that happens, where you hit that tipping point.
Speaker 5: That I can't do this anymore, can't do it one more day? Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean we would be in group and there were people that would come to our group therapy and be like, I'm never leaving, like I know I can't, so I'm just here for support. And sure enough, like we left, I mean, we finished the group and they were all still there.
Speaker 5: They were still there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, yeah, that circumstances keep you stuck, you know.
Speaker 5: And sometimes it's for the kids. Sometimes it's financial. Sometimes it's you know, family coming out to like culturally, right, like depending on what country you're from and culture and religion. So yeah, a lot of people unfortunately live with the ache of what they wish they could do and could be but can't.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I live with that.
Speaker 4: That's sad I think about. Yeah, that's just it.
Speaker 2: It's like I feel, you know, lucky that Ally and I you know, had the power in us to move forward with that, and and our listeners too, to hear their stories of the you know, hurdles that they've had to get over to get to this point.
Speaker 4: It's really it's impressive, I agree.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I love the idea though iterations of yourself because yeah, I such a dol way to think about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I also I also call it, like, you know, the two point oh version, the three point oh, the four point over version, because every couple of years, we should be upgrading our operating system, just like our computer phones make us do, and they do whatever our phones do what every two or three months?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, right, Like imagine if as a human, every couple of months, we said, let me revisit my beliefs right now, let me check in with the stories I'm looping on, let me see why I'm listening to these same thoughts for three months now? That serve me? And we took an inventory and every quarter we said, huh, it's time to refreshment ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah right, Yeah, people are stuck in patterns. It's like we have so many you know, people that have come on the show that are like I repeat, I'm staying within this relationship that has been good for years and I'm still here. It's like people repeat these patterns over and over and it is so true, Like you should be reinventing and updating your operating system every now and again. How can people work with you, Rebecca? Like how talk to us about how they could.
Speaker 4: Get Instagram whatever?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, so I think the easiest way to find me is Instagram. I'm at Rebecca Cordeci. You know my name, you guys will put in the show notes, We'll take you. Okay. So there's that, And when if you want to reach out, you can reach out through DM that way, and people can work with me in periods of time, Like I don't do one off sessions, although I'm starting to consider because I've better able to do some pretty profound work in three sessions with people. So normally they hire me for three months or six months, and they can reach out through Instagram and find me there and I can tell you them when they come on a call with me. I usually just invite people onto a free call and see if we're a fit and see if you know what the investment is works with their budget or whatever, and then we go from there. And the biggest thing I always like to say about my work is like, I want someone who comes to me and says, I'm stuck in Zone A, and I want to be in Zone Z, the happy place, but I'm not there because of all this stuff in between. And then my job as the coach is to go, oh, that's easy, that's in my wheelhouse. I know how to get you from there to there. And I'm what collapsed time too. So rather than taking five years to get a to Z, like with a talk therapy model, right because like, and I'm sure you know people we've been in therapy for years and years and years and they seem the same. My goal is that by the time you've worked three or six months a to Z, we've collapsed that time and I set you free go soar. I don't want to coach you for a year, two or three. I want I want to fix you in your own way that you need to be reworked and set you freeze. You can go live your life.
Speaker 1: Can people do it without living in California?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I work.
Speaker 5: Actually, I have clients all over the world right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like you, Rebecca, You're awesome.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a lot of guests.
Speaker 1: I know tonight I'm going to be talking about this conversation.
Speaker 4: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 5: Oh, thank you. That makes my heart smile. Thank you.
Speaker 4: I appreciate so much that you came on.
Speaker 1: And we'll definitely tag you and we'll in the show notes tell me how to find you.
Speaker 5: Absolutely perfect.
Speaker 4: Awesome.
Speaker 5: You guys are great. Thank you for making it so warm and easy to talk and just yeah, appreciate you spending good a good hour.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you.
Speaker 4: Okay, I want to support the Lesbian Chronicles podcast. Rate us and write a review on Apple podcast or Spotify.
Speaker 1: We love listener feedback. If you'd like to share your story, email us at Melissa and Ali at gmail dot com, dot's Melissa M. E. L I s A and Ali A. L. L I at gmail dot com, or follow us on Instagram at Lesbian Chronicles