Speaker 1: Austin's eighty station on three point one.
Speaker 2: It's the Sandy Show, brought to you by our Bank with eight locations throughout Central Texas and online at www. The letter r dot Bank member fdi C lots to talk about. Even for people that aren't big sports fans, they get roped into the Olympics because of the great storytelling that they do in the Olympics. And it's been it's been good so far. I've been like sat down and just watched the Olympics. I've had it on with watching it with one eye. And for those of you just joined the show, my longtime radio partner and my buddy JB.
Speaker 1: Hager is joining us.
Speaker 2: Hilling in Patricia and a little late to the party, but she's here. Our friend in Hollywood, Cecily Noblers join us.
Speaker 3: Hello, Hello, you guys.
Speaker 2: It was a tight, a bit of a technical nightmare, but we got got Cecily here.
Speaker 1: Sister.
Speaker 4: You know, she's technically consistent since she has been since the mid nineties.
Speaker 3: It's not it's not not true.
Speaker 2: The Olympics, I mean, how great has been bringing Snoop into the Olympics is kind of the ambassador for the Olympics.
Speaker 1: On NBC.
Speaker 2: He is everywhere right now, and I've enjoyed that part of it. You know, they make it entertaining along with the competitions of course, the gymnastics and the swimming and all that kind of stuff. But but Snoop's been killing it at the Olympics.
Speaker 5: No, it's a choice, you know, to bring Snoop. I mean, I think I think it's great. I think we're elevating to the Olympics to a new place. I'm trying to make like a pot joke, like it's it's high now. I guess yeah.
Speaker 2: I mean the big joke was when he was carrying the flame and everyone was like, you know, he's going to light up with that flame. But I don't know, I thought Swoop's been pretty entertaining.
Speaker 4: Now it's I don't know if you guys caught it, but my wife and I watched through the Peacock Gap some of the cutaways they were doing with.
Speaker 1: Was it.
Speaker 4: It was Keenan Thompson and Kevin Hart hysterical stuff. So this is NBC has figured out that having this is just my opinion, having traditional journalists just talk about, you know, the vibe and the mood and the Olympic, like people are interested in a much lighter perspective of things, and so that's why they I think they did a lot with Snoop Dogg and then of course you see Martha Stewart popping up because of him. But then the stuff with Kevin Hart and Keenan Thompson was hysterical. I work with Lance Armstrong, who, if you don't know, somewhat controversial figure.
Speaker 6: We did stuff with peacock for Twitter France.
Speaker 4: They're they're taking some chances on making some of these sports more entertaining that are hard to grasp, like and I'll say cycling is definitely one of them.
Speaker 1: So they need to bring in personality to it, right.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I was watching I was watching badminton today. It was a Chinese women's final, and it's so funny, you know, like that's where I could have used Kevin Hart or something talking about it, but I was with him. I was watching it, and they're like, you know, this is the fastest ball sport in the Olympics. They said at at times the what was it called a poppycock, the shuttlecock, shuttlecock.
Speaker 6: What's the difference between a shuttlecock and a poppycock. I don't think I want to know.
Speaker 1: I think you made poppy cock cock. I don't know.
Speaker 6: Shuttlecock.
Speaker 4: The shuttlecock can go as much as over two hundred miles an hour they were saying up to, but it goes that speed for a second, right, but then it just floats like a.
Speaker 1: Flower, right, exactly right.
Speaker 6: This is not like, so, what's a good what's a good fastball in baseball?
Speaker 1: Hundred miles an hour fastball?
Speaker 4: It's smoking fast right right, really fast. It can go almost three times that, but it's not near.
Speaker 1: You, So I just see what you're saying.
Speaker 4: By the time it gets you, it's just this little floating forest gump, like.
Speaker 3: Can I please just interject?
Speaker 5: And poppy cock is a brand of candied popcorn.
Speaker 3: That's why I'm here.
Speaker 5: I'm so glad I got my computer to work just so I could just chime that kind of stuff in because you need it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're coming.
Speaker 2: Thanks for chiming in though, Cecily, that's great, you got it.
Speaker 1: My kid's new line.
Speaker 2: When you tell them something that's like a boring story, my daughter will go, that's great, Dad, who's going to play you in the movie?
Speaker 1: Good Morning?
Speaker 2: It's The Sandy Show being brought to you by our bank, your comprehensive solution for business or personal financial needs. Explore more at www dot r dot bank.
Speaker 1: Member Fdi s.
Speaker 2: Hey, if you're just joining us, Tricia is out today, but my buddy JB Is hanging out with us, and my other friend, Cecily Nobler is filling in the cracks here or there. We got her through her technical nightmares, and Cecily, I got something just for you.
Speaker 1: Are you still single?
Speaker 6: It's sort of what do you means?
Speaker 4: God?
Speaker 6: What do you mean?
Speaker 1: Sort of?
Speaker 6: The dog doesn't count, Monroad does not.
Speaker 3: Oh if Monroe doesn't count, then yes, I'm still single.
Speaker 1: You are single?
Speaker 3: I guess why I who's asking?
Speaker 1: Have you been out with? Are you dating anybody?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I'm dating?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, So I just thought of you because this therapist is saying that if you want a long term relationship, you're going to need to date a whole lot more. You got to date all the time, like at least two or three dates a week if you want to find mister, if you want to find your signalant other, because she says it's just a numbers gain. The more you get out there, the more likely you are to find to find me your person.
Speaker 5: Your person, and this therapist gets paid for this. This person wrote a book about that, like no, dull like you think no, but.
Speaker 1: I disagree with that. Tell me, I just think that you.
Speaker 2: I think when you try really really hard to date or to find that significant other, you never find them. I think it's just life just happens, you know what I mean. You just it's very organic. It's not a thing that you're out there. I'm going to go out tonight and I'm going to find my future husband or wife.
Speaker 1: I think you just got to chill about it and let it, let life happen.
Speaker 3: I'll be honest with you on this.
Speaker 5: I've done a lot of looking into this because I was in a lot of long term relationships for like fifteen years off and then I thought, I'll.
Speaker 6: Just float and I'll just date a lot. For sh I was in.
Speaker 5: Three different for fifteen years, so one was like seven years, and three years and five years.
Speaker 3: But I say this, if you want to get serious.
Speaker 5: And I know this is a very light show, but there's like a lot of people, there's new books about sort of attachment theory. People talk about so an issue that I have now even I've always had this, and I have this now, which is that if someone's two into me, I get what's called the ick, I get icked out, and I'm just like, if someone's there they're kind of anxious around me and they like me too much, I'm like, what the hell is wrong with them? And then if they're hard to get and called avoidant in their dating attachment, I'm all in which you know, keeps you, keeps it pretty alone or in these kind of ridiculous, really short term love bombing relationships.
Speaker 3: But I've given this a lot.
Speaker 4: Of thought, and it's a fake what you described, and you probably know this. It's the old Woody Allen line, which you took from Groucho Marx, is that I would never want to belong to a club that would have someone like me as a member.
Speaker 5: Exactly exactly.
Speaker 6: They are in love with you, You're like, what.
Speaker 3: Not even in love? Like even on a first date.
Speaker 5: I went on a date and the guy, there's nothing wrong with him at all, but he just like had made a future plan. He was like, oh, well, you like that musical, Let's go see it when it comes to town.
Speaker 3: And I was like, future you can't control me. It was a whole thing.
Speaker 2: And women are so hard to understand because they always want a guy with a plan until the guy has a plan, and then they don't want anything to do with them, right, Yea.
Speaker 6: You gotta be more aloof as a guy. You got to keep him guessing. Yeah, but there's that.
Speaker 5: But it's just like and sometimes it's just pheromones. It's like a little thing.
Speaker 4: This.
Speaker 5: It's like I can pick up on an avoidance like that without them saying. They can say all the right things, and I sniff it out and I know that they're never going to be into it.
Speaker 3: So it's easier for me than.
Speaker 5: To be like, yeah, yeah, that guy, and then I can go, oh, guys, right, Yeah, it's a whole thing.
Speaker 2: JB celebrated twenty five years of marriage back in June. I've been married for sixteen years, and I'll tell you this, and I beg you, JB, you agree. There's no way in the world I would want to be out there in the dating world right now.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't do it. I just would not do it.
Speaker 4: I don't know what it would be like, Yeah, I don't. I don't see myself getting on the apps and all that stuff.
Speaker 6: It would be even.
Speaker 4: When my wife's gone for like a week, I fall apart pretty fast.
Speaker 1: There's a big movement at school's happening. And believe it or not, our daughter goes back to my daughter, but.
Speaker 2: She goes back to school in two weeks, which is it just seems really early to me. But there's a movement happening across the country when it comes to kids in school.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what that is in just a second. Thanks for being with us today.
Speaker 2: JB is filling in today for Tricia, and Cecily is joining us too. Although we're doing this virtually and Cecily won't turn her camera on again.
Speaker 3: You said to turn it off. You said you didn't like the way I look.
Speaker 2: No, know that it was just it was, yeah, it was messing up the recording. That's all right, We know that you're there, Cecily. But here's the thing that's happening across the country, and i'd love your guys take on it. They are banning cell phones in the classroom. Now you probably sucked, like, oh they didn't do that already. No, it was the Wild West with kids in their phones in the classroom. And kids in Michigan, the students are actually relieved that they don't have their phones with them in the classroom anymore. And my daughter's school district they just got rid of that too. Jab was that an issue when your daughter was in school?
Speaker 6: No, I think she.
Speaker 4: You know, my daughter was born in two thousand and one, so I think they're really that first generation to deal with this issue. Yeah, they had it, and it was always like, oh, it was like this necessity to communicate with parents and blah blah blah.
Speaker 6: But again, first generation of that so new.
Speaker 4: I don't think we knew the long term effects of screen time and anxiety.
Speaker 6: And and I think this is a good thing. This is huge, Like, yeah, I mean if we could see.
Speaker 4: More of that, not only at school, but in the workplace. Can you imagine just checking your phone all day?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And then they I've seen videos and stuff of kids in schools where the teacher takes their phone and they're like, you can't take that from me. That's not yours, that's mine, right, you know. And I we told our daughter's teachers, you can take the phone anytime you'll want, if it's a problem, take it from her. And you know, have her come back and get it after school, whatever you need to do. So it's a lot of you know, a lot of parents out there. It's never the kid, it's always the teacher, right, Yeah.
Speaker 4: They're just looking for something. I mean they would take my pencil for pencil fighting.
Speaker 2: Did you ever play the little football game with a little with a little triangle football game and then you kick it through the uprights and you put your thumbs together for the uprights?
Speaker 4: Yeah, and even after the This is really dating ourselves, but the football version.
Speaker 6: Do you remember like Calico head to head?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 4: Yeah, this was before we had like a you know, a smartphone and a computer. But they were little portable games and we were obsessed with them. We'd be on the bus, the school bus with like our jackets.
Speaker 6: Over playing the game.
Speaker 1: Yep, yep, like it.
Speaker 6: Was a it was a problem.
Speaker 4: Like, yeah, devices just don't belong like I mean, I would be the opposite if I was a kid today, I'd be wanting it.
Speaker 6: But yeah, if they could undo that, that would be huge.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: It's amazing how much you've tied you I've gotten. JB told me, I don't know, probably a couple of years ago that you didn't. Don't keep your cell phone in your bedroom, you put it away.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I don't.
Speaker 4: I know, which is a tough one because I will sleep with an Apple Watch in case it's an emergency call, which when you have a daughter a child, you'll do that. Otherwise, Yeah, I try to stay away from the device.
Speaker 2: It's they recommend my looking at your phone for like up to two hours before you go to sleep because all the blue stuff or something in the screen, I don't know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the white light. Yeah, this is your circadian rhythm.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because it projects like it's sunlight, I think, is what they said, right.
Speaker 4: It totally messes up your sleep. Then your kids are up all night looking at their device. Then they're tired at school, Like, yeah, it's a problem. Can you imagine now, Like I remember back in the day trying to get your kid reset for school hours. But now you throw on top of it all these devices and all that, Like, that's a whole different animal.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: JV and Cicely are sitting in on the show today as Tricia is out, let me ask you guys a question. When you guys were kids at Halloween time, did your mother ever take you to the Halloween store.
Speaker 6: No, that was that was for fancy rich people.
Speaker 1: That was for we never went. But you're right, JB. Go ahead.
Speaker 4: Sorry, they were always homemade for me growing up, it was always homemade. Yeah, it was like that, the kind where the cost and a max mask and a theme and yes, that was fancy kids stuff.
Speaker 2: And a pillowcase was my candy bag. I never had like a reflective one or anything. No one cared if I got.
Speaker 6: Momk Yeah, yeah, I never had that either.
Speaker 2: I never had one of those. But Halloween stores are already starting to open up. Spirit Halloween stores are opening up across the country and it's only mid August, I mean the beginning of August. So that's for the really well prepared. Right, you're going to get your Halloween costume.
Speaker 4: Now that's a bit psycho if you're planning this far ahead.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I have my thing with costumes, which I kind of do love. For a while, I would just go as myself and say I was a Lanis Morissett.
Speaker 6: And it was just that was it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I didn't have to sometimes I put on a little wig, but then sometimes I go real deep cut and people don't like it. People want like sexy witch sexy nurse. This is the time to wear a short skirt and whatever. And one year I want a contest, but I had to explain. I went as Scooter Libby. Do you guys remember who Scooter Libby was?
Speaker 1: I remember that names.
Speaker 5: He worked for Dick Cheney under GW and I guess he outed a source that he like he had, like there was a CIA source or something and he outed them.
Speaker 3: Okay, I don't know why whatever.
Speaker 5: So I had like a very elaborate costume, like he had crutches for a while. So I went as that and my little T shirt that said she's with the CIA. And one guy it's why I'm single. One guy at the party got it like I could have just been a sexy cowgirl. Yeah, but nope, I had to be the aid to Dick Cheney.
Speaker 3: And but I I love that stuff.
Speaker 5: I think that's what Halloween's for is you've got to make people think, yeah, but.
Speaker 2: The woke police has kind of killed this fun in Halloween, boy, you wear the wrong thing and you're done right.
Speaker 4: It's more like the Halloween the chicks who want to be sluts or get to be sluts.
Speaker 3: For a day or the rest of their lives, and.
Speaker 4: The guys who really want to be women are afraid to be women get to be women.
Speaker 2: Yeah, day they get to cross dress. They get a free cross dressing pass on Halloween.
Speaker 5: Right, yes, right, right, And it's a great day. It's a great day for everybody. You get to just be whoever you want to be, and that it's a lesson.
Speaker 3: We should just do it all the time.
Speaker 5: I don't think I want to be a sexy nurse all day right now, I'm a sexy No. That's why I turned my camera off because.
Speaker 1: So, I mean, I haven't even thought.
Speaker 2: And the funniest costume, the most response my daughter ever gotten a Halloween costume was the most simple one ever.
Speaker 1: She was a banana.
Speaker 2: A banana, a big yellow banana with a hole with her face to come out and the thing else. She got more reaction from that costume, which is a simple little banana costume, and now every year she wants to be a banana.
Speaker 6: So yeah, my daughter had a home run as ketchup for more than it's like sometimes we overthink.
Speaker 2: It exactly exactly, but JB, I don't know if you're going to back out on your spirit Halloween store take and property values.
Speaker 1: But here's your chance.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 4: I've just always had a theory that if your your neighborhood shopping center is the land of the pop up store whatever's trending Halloween, and then a month later it's the Christmas store fourth of July, then it's the tax store, it's.
Speaker 6: Things are not going good in your neighborhood.
Speaker 4: If you're the temporary store neighborhood neighborhood, Yeah, it's I feel you.
Speaker 6: It's just a little red flag, you know, just a little little.
Speaker 4: Red flag of like time to move on, because you're better than that, and I got your back.
Speaker 2: The Spirit Halloween Store just opened up three blocks from my house.