Speaker 1: Hey everyone, thanks for joining us today on Pastor Rick's Daily Hope.
Speaker 2: This is the place.
Speaker 1: Where Rick Warren brings you uplifting messages from God's Word every day to help you grow deeper in faith and live a life with purpose. Today we're continuing in a powerful series called Toolbox for Life. In this series, Rick teaches us four essential skills that you need to succeed wherever God has placed you, whether it's at home, at work, at school, or in your community. These are tools that every follower of Jesus absolutely needs. And right now, here's Pastor Rick Warren with part one of a message called Learning to Be Both Fast and Slow.
Speaker 2: This weekend, I want us to look at the skill of timing.
Speaker 3: The title of the message is called learning to be Both Fast and Slow.
Speaker 2: And let me explain it a little bit.
Speaker 3: Every great acomplishment ever in history has an element of timing to it. When you're watching a football game and you see a football player catch a beautiful pass, it's only because they had worked out the timing between the quarterback and the wide receiver.
Speaker 2: And if that.
Speaker 3: Timing is off, there's no reception. It's all a matter of timing. Now, this is true in every area of life. It's true in business. Any business investor will tell you that timing is a large part of knowing when to buy, knowing when to sell, knowing when to make a deal, knowing when to merge, and knowing when not to merge, when to diversify. It's all a matter of timing. If you are a singer, you have to know how to sing the notes at the right time. If you're a musician, you know how to have to keep time in the beat. If you are a speaker, you have to know good timing in the way you deliver the words. The secret between a funny joke and a joke that bombs is often a matter of timing. And if you have comedic timing, you're just good at it, and if you don't, you suck at it. The key to being a great speaker and creating tension in UH in a speech is.
Speaker 2: Timing. Timing. Now uh, this is true in every area of life.
Speaker 3: This week, I was told that saddle Back once again was named the most influential American church, this time by news UH Newsmax magazine. It's We've been named it several times and to a large degree, Saddleback's influence around the world is simply because we're good at timing.
Speaker 2: We call it walking in the spirit.
Speaker 3: We watch what God is doing in the world and we say we're gonna get involved in that. I never never pray God bless what I'm doing. Never I pray God, help me to do what you're blessing. And I look around the world and I see, Oh, God's doing that, and God's doing that, and God's doing that.
Speaker 2: I'd like to get in on that.
Speaker 3: And then my prayer is, God, would you give me the privilege of just being a part of what you happen to be doing at this particular moment in history. And so being sensitive to how God works in the world is really a matter of timing. The Bible says it like this, they're on the top of your outline Ecclesiastes eight six. There is a right time, and there's a right way to do everything. But we know so little now that implies that timing. Doing the right time that's timing, and doing it in the right way that's execution. That both of those are skills, and we don't happen to know those skills. So we're not very good at it, but it means that you can learn these things. Years ago, when I wrote the book Purpose Driven Church back in the nineties, the first chapter was called Surfing Spiritual Waves, and I compared leadership to surfing because here in Southern California, of course, we got a lot of surfers. I used to have a board and it's very poor at surfing, but had a lot of fun doing that it falling off the board. But surfers don't create waves. Surfers only surf the waves that God makes. You've never seen a surfer who said, oh, let's go create a wave, because you can't create a wave. You just have to wait for God to send one in. And surfing involves a lot of patients and you paddle out and then you wait for that perfect wave to come. And then it's actually harder than it looks because you've got to learn how to surf the wave. You got to learn how to balance on the wave, you got to learn how to get off the wave without wiping out. And it's actually more skilled than a lot of people realize. But no surfer has ever tried to create a wave. He or she simply serfs the waves that God creates. And that's what we've tried to do it so saddleback for thirty five years. We don't try to create a waves of God's working. We just say what is God doing? And we move slow when God moves slow, and we move fast when God moves fast.
Speaker 2: I want to talk to you about that.
Speaker 3: This weekend because it's a skill you must learn to succeed in your life. There is a rhythm to life. There is a rhythm to love, and there is a rhythm to leadership. And so sometimes you have to move fast and sometimes you.
Speaker 2: Have to move slow.
Speaker 3: Wise people know how to cooperate with those rhythms in life. And as I said, that's often called walking in the spirit, where you learn to sense when to go fast and when to go slow. I was laughing that last week when Pastor Tommy was teaching. Remember we talked about how he hates to run. Remember that, and you know Tommy don't run. And I laughed at all four services when he said that. But the Bible actually does have a lot to say about running. In fact, the Bible compares your life to a race. And the Bible tells us that Jesus had a sense of urgency about his life in his ministry. In fact, about fifteen times in the Bible the word Jesus and the word immediately are in the same verse, and it says, and Jesus immediately did this. Some people think Jesus was always slow, sometimes he was fast, sometimes he was very fast. And immediately Jesus did this. He me healed that person, and he went to this place, and he confronted that person on and on and on, and just as Jesus had a sense of urgency, so did Paul. Let me show you some verses here on the screen. The Bible says in one Timothy six', twelve run hard and fast in the. Faith god wants you to run. Hard god wants you to run fast in the. Faith that's the message prayer. Phrase then The bible, says Verse grinding nine twenty, four run in such a way as to get the. Prize AND i notice he doesn't say, Walk he says. Run sometimes you need to go. Fast and then the next verse says this Verse corinthians nine twenty, SIX i run straight to the goal with purpose in every. Step paul was purpose. Driven and then one more Verse philippians three, TWELVE i run to.
Speaker 2: WIN i run to. Win so, clearly.
Speaker 3: There's a many passages in scripture Where god, SAYS i want you to go. Fast but there are also many passages in scripture When god, SAYS i want you to go. SLOW i want you to, WAIT i want you to, DELAY i want you to not. MOVE i want you to stand still and see the salvation of The. Lord so learning the difference is a very important skill to being effective at, life effective at, love and effective at. Leadership knowing when to go fast and knowing when to go. Slow and that's what we're going to look at this. Weekend let's look first at what Does god want me to do when he wants me to move? Fast when does he want me to move with? Speed and now this is not an exhaustive, list it's just a. REPRESENTATIVE i could have given you a very very long list many many, others but this is just representative of When god wants you to move. Fast and because it's, That i'm going to go through it very. Quickly so you have to write fast number. ONE i should move fast When god tells me to do. Something When god tells me to do, SOMETHING i should move fast to do. It, now The bible is filled with all kinds of life. Instructions they're called the commands Of, god the decrees Of. God they're called the precepts Of. God And god expects us to obey his.
Speaker 2: Commands how many of you are? Parents CAN i see your?
Speaker 3: Hands what if your child came to you and you, SAID i want you to do, this AND i want you to obey.
Speaker 2: Me the said i'll think about. It there would be.
Speaker 3: Consequences but we do that To god all the. Time god, SAYS i want you to Do i'll think about. It oh, really SO i have the authority to Tell god i'll think about. It that's as much rebellion as it is a child saying go to a. Parent when the creator comes up with an, idea he expects us to do. It every parent knows that delayed obedience is. Disobedience if a child, says, well i'll do it WHEN i get around to, it that's not.
Speaker 2: Obedience that's.
Speaker 3: Disobedience The bible Says god wants us to move fast when he tells us to do. SOMETHING a couple, Examples mark one seventeen and. Eighteen jesus said to, them come follow. Me So simon And andrew immediately left their.
Speaker 2: Nets not the next, day not the next. Week immediate left their nets and followed. Him what does it? Means they left their.
Speaker 3: Job they walked away from their job when a guy said to, them follow.
Speaker 2: Me that's immediate. Obedience immediate, obedience.
Speaker 3: The bible says In psalm one, nineteen verse, sixty without, DELAY i hurry to. Obey i'll hurry to obey your. Commands circle the word. Hurry we often think hurry in.
Speaker 2: A negative term.
Speaker 3: Today it reminds us of, stress, problems, pressures and the hurry and worry and. Bustle but hurry is always a good word when it comes to. Obedience The bible, SAYS i hurry to obey your.
Speaker 2: Commands so my.
Speaker 3: Question AS i start is to simply ask, you what is it that you Know god's told you to do and you haven't started doing it? Yet you know, it and you're not doing. It god, SAYS i want you to do it? Quickly what are you?
Speaker 2: Waiting? On number?
Speaker 3: TWO i should move fast not only When god tells me to do. SOMETHING i should move fast WHEN i need to ask or offer. Forgiveness now this is really for your own, benefit because your body was not designed to carry.
Speaker 2: Guilt and. RESENTMENT i should.
Speaker 3: Move quickly WHEN i need to ask forgiveness or offer. Forgiveness we spend much of our lives abusing our bodies because of guilt over something we've done to, others and over bitterness over something other people have done to. Us doctors say you could clear out about fifty percent of the people in hospitals today if they knew how to get rid of guilt and, bitterness guilt and.
Speaker 2: Resentment and what we.
Speaker 3: Do is we crucify ourselves between two, crosses guilt and resentment for the past and worry about the, future and we mess.
Speaker 2: Up today as a. Result god, says.
Speaker 3: You should never carry, guilt or you should never carry. Resentment it's like poison in your. Body you need to deal with it. IMMEDIATELY i move. Fast The bible says In matthew, five verse twenty two and twenty three is from The sermon on The, Mount jesus, says if you're giving an offering at worship and you suddenly remember that somebody is something against, you in other, words have got a.
Speaker 2: Grudge or something against.
Speaker 3: You leave your offering and go immediately circle that go immediately to that person and be, reconciled then you can come back to worship and offer your. Gift in other, words don't ever use worship as an excuse to procrastinate dealing with. Somebody now this is not rocket. Science WHEN i say who is it you need to get right? With you immediately know that person that you've had a grudge against or they've had a grudge against, you and there's been, strained there's been. Tension god, says why are you carrying? THAT i never meant for your body to carry that guilt OR i never meant for your body to carry that. Resentment who do you need to reconcile? With you need to do it quickly the. Law every day that you don't do, it you harm yourself, mentally, spiritually and even. Physically number, THREE i should move fast WHEN i feel. Tempted The bible says that when, UNTEMPTED i need to move quickly out of the tempting. Situation Now i've talked to you about this.
Speaker 2: Before in. Detail we've studied.
Speaker 3: Temptation that you need to have preventative strategies to keep you from being, tempted and you need emergency strategies which are kind of like the panic. Button when all of a sudden you're tempted in a situation you didn't realize was going to come, up and all of a, sudden you're there on a business, trip or there in front of the, television or there in a hundred other, places and you weren't expecting the. Temptation it came out of the left, field and all of a, sudden you're just overwhelmed with a desire to do something you know is neither good for you nor good for, others and not honoring To. God what do you do in those, Emergencies, well The bible, says real, quickly, run it says, run get away from the. Situation don't. Try when you are in the moment of, temptation you're being, tempted and it could be a financial temptation to, cheat it could be a sexual, temptation it could be any kind of Tempt there are thousands of temptations in that.
Speaker 2: Moment never argue with the. Temptation you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Lose you're gonna lose because emotions take, over and emotions aren't. Logical you can be logical all you, want and when you're.
Speaker 2: Emotional on, something it just takes. Over that's Why.
Speaker 3: WHEN i was a youth pastor many years, ago AND i used to tell, kids don't decide that you're going to be sexually pure and save yourself from marriage in the back seat of a. Car that's not when you, decide because you've got to decide long before, that so you don't end up. There because if you end up in the backseat of a, car you're gonna move by your, glands not your, plans and those hormones are gonna kick in and you're just. Overwhelmed so The bible, says listen when you are. Tempted it, says don't fight, it don't resist, it replace.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 3: Run that's the simplest turn the. Channel get out of the. Situation if you don't want to get, stung get away from the.
Speaker 2: Bees if you're trying trying to SAY i.
Speaker 3: Don't want to drink alcohol, anymore then you don't go to bars for the. Pretzels you just don't put yourself in those. Situations now here's what The bible. Says One timothy six.' eleven run away from all evil Things one. Corinthians ten run away from the worship. Of idols, YOU say i don't worship. Any, idols oh you do all. The time you idolize all kinds. Of stuff what's? An idol i'm not talking about A little god sitting on a. Desk here an idol is anything you Put. Before god your boat could be, an idol your job could be, An idol your spouse could be, an idol your children could be. An idol anything that you put first place in your Life. Before god that's. Called idolatry they may, be good but they don't deserve To have god's role in. Your life anytime you take a person and you elevate Them above god and their opinion matters to you More, than god you've just made. An idol and so we idolize things all. The Time the, bible says run from worship. Of idols So the bible says In first, parenthieon six run away from. Sexual sin so he's, saying here WHEN do i move Fast when god tells me to, DO something i do? It immediately WHEN do i move FAST when i need to ask or? Offer forgiveness and WHEN do i move Fast when i'm? FEELING tempted i need to just get out of. The situation don't, fight it. Flee it don't, resist it run, from it, replace it turn your mind onto.
Speaker 2: Something else.
Speaker 3: Number Four the bible SAYS that i should move Fast when i've made a Promise. To God when i've made a Promise, To god god expects me to, keep it and sooner rather. Than later now we've all made Promises to god that we've forgotten or even gotten. Lazy About the bible says This in, ecclesiastes five.
Speaker 2: Verse four.
Speaker 3: When you make a Promise, to god keep it as quickly. As possible, notice that in, OTHER words i should, move fast keep.
Speaker 2: It as quickly. As possible god.
Speaker 3: Is not happy with, foolish people and he says it's foolish to make a promise and then not. Keep it do what you promised. To do, so question what promise do you need? To keep and you need to do it? This week you need to do. It now maybe you made. A promise some of you made a promise to read Through, the bible maybe even read it in, the ear and you got bogged down and you just. Gave up or you made a promise to invite somebody at church and then you just kind of got lazy and didn't. Do it he made a promise to yourself Or to god that you were going to start. Serving somewhere we've all made Promises. To god, god says if you make, A, promise god. Fulfill it immediately keep it as quickly. As Possible and i'll tell you a little Secret because i've learned this from. Personal experience when you make a Promise to god and then you fulfill it before you said you would, Fulfill it god goes crazy. With blessing god opens the floodgates of blessing in. Your life god says THAT guy i can, depend on that guy, Is responsible that guy is a person.
Speaker 2: Of integrity he she keeps, her word they keep.
Speaker 3: Their promise and there's almost Nothing that god won't do for the person who shows integrity. And responsibility AND so i would, encourage you whatever promise should Make, to god try to fulfill it before it's. Actually due now another Way that god wants. Another Time when god wants you to move fast, as this write. It DOWN when i have the opportunity to, DO good i should.
Speaker 2: Move fast Every.
Speaker 3: Day god gives you little opportunities to show kindness to people, around you and he's watching to see if you're going to be self centered and oblivious to the people who are, around you or you're actually going to notice the people who need a word. OF encouragement i need a pat on, the back maybe need an errand or, a loan or a babysitter or some practical means. Of Help and, god says this is.
Speaker 2: A test and.
Speaker 3: If you want to learn how to move in the Spirit, of god you've got to learn how to move fast when you have an opportunity to. Do good here's What the Bible says proverbs three. Twenty seven do not withhold good from those who deserve it while it is in your power. To act you're not going to have that, Opportunity forever so, just nike just. Do it you know there are people in your life that you've. Thought, About oh i'd like to do that for, my Neighbors or i'd like to do something kind for that person, at Work or i'd like to help that person down, the Street or i'd like and you you have all of the, best intentions but you don't do anything.
Speaker 2: About.
Speaker 3: It now we make all kinds, of excuses and one of the most famous ones, is this when things.
Speaker 2: Settled down you ever heard?
Speaker 3: That one when things, settle Down then i'm gonna do.
Speaker 2: THIS thing i hate to tell. You this it's not gonna. Settle down.
Speaker 3: Your life is never going to. Settle down it's. A myth it's never gonna. Settle down if you're gonna do any good with, your life you better do it now while you got, the chance because you're not gonna get a better chance than. Right now look at this verse on The screen ecclesiastes eleven. To four if you wait for, perfect conditions you will never get. Anything done anybody agree with? THAT verse i wanna give. A, testimony yeah if you wait for, perfect conditions you never get. Anything done everything that's done in life that's good has to be done in. Imperfect conditions making that meal for, a neighbor or doing something kind for. Somebody else we make all these. Excuses now the reason for doing, it now The reason god says to do, it fast is because you're not. Guaranteed tomorrow i'm not and. You're not jesus said it like This in. John nine all of us must quickly carry out the tasks circle the. Word quickly all of us must quickly carry out the tasks assigned us By the father who sent me he's Talking, About, god God. The father we miss quickly carry out. The task god has some assigned task for you to do with, your life and your life is, ticking away and if you're not going to get it, done now you may not.
Speaker 2: Get the opportunity to.
Speaker 3: Do it so whatever you're going to do with, your life you better get on with. It now, he said we must carry out quickly the tasks assigned us By the father because there is little time left before the night falls and all work comes to. An, end question what kind act have you been intending? To do, You, Thought oh i'd really like to do this for, that person but you still haven't done.
Speaker 2: It yet do? It?
Speaker 3: Now then let me give you, One more and this one's the most important. Of all IN when i should Move fast, Number Six when god offers, ME salvation i better move quickly on. That offer it's a limited. Time Offer when god offers. Me salvation some of you have been putting off and procrastinating stepping across. The line you're a, good person and you like. Saddleback church you come with your husband or, your wife or a friend or neighbor or a relative or boyfriend, or girlfriend and you. Like saddleback you like, the church you like, the music but you've never actually stepped across the line, and, Said yes. I'm in I'm trusting jesus christis.
Speaker 2: My savior what are you?
Speaker 3: Waiting on why in the WORLD would i delay having my, past forgiven getting a purpose living and a home. In heaven who else is gonna give that? To you where are you're gonna? Get it there is no other place where you're gonna get that Except through.
Speaker 2: God himself so you've been.
Speaker 3: Putting off and, he, SAID well i just haven't decided To.
Speaker 2: Follow jesus yes you have up to. This point.
Speaker 3: YOU have i used to have a poster in my office and it, said this not to decide is. To decide not to decide is. To decide, it's, Saying no i'm gonna go another day of my life disconnected with the creator who loves me and made me for, a Purpose and i'm just not gonna be connected. To, him really that doesn't make a whole lot. Of sense here's What the, Bible Says. Second corinthians god is ready to help you right, Now today today is the day. Of Salvation if god offers you eternity, in heaven. You bought accept, it now not, next week, not later not. Ponent procrastinate but you need to move fast on.
Speaker 2: That. Offer now i'm going to help.
Speaker 3: You out i'll help you settle that when at the end of, the day if you haven't done. That now not everything, in, life though is to be done at. High Speed the bible also has a lot of verses that talk about. Slowing down this IS why i say timing. Is everything there's a rhythm. To Life the, bible says there's a time to plant and a time. To Harvest the bible says there's a time to weep and a time. To rejoice there's a time to, go fast there's a time to. Go slow life is a series, of rhythms and the successful people in life know when to do which at the. Right time And the, bible says look this on turn your. Outline over proverbs fourteen. Twenty nine it's smart to be? What patient why don't you? CIRCLE that i want you to. BE smart i want to. Be Smart the, bible says it's smart to.
Speaker 2: Be patient.
Speaker 1: Such a great Message From pastor, Rick TODAY and i hope you were just as ENCOURAGED as. I was, you know the Truth is desire and determination alone aren't enough to succeed. In life so many people already work, so hard but real success isn't just about. Working harder it's about. Working smarter it's About working. God's way did you know That the bible is packed with practical instruction to help you do. Just, that yeah That's Why Pastor rick warren Created the Toolbox For Life. Bible study through this, powerful study you'll discover and develop four essential real life success building skills Straight from. God's word these are skills that will equip you to make a difference as you lead with confidence and clarity in, your home, at work, at school and in. Your Community the Toolbox For Life bible study has forbid sessions Taught by rick and includes a. Companion workbook it's perfect for personal growth or small. Group study so be sure to request your copy Of the Toolbox For Life study. Kit today when you give a Gift To daily hope to help Take the Word of god to a world, in need it's our way of. Saying thanks just Go to pastorick dot com to get your copy of this. Great resource that's pastorick. Dot com or you can just text The word hope to seven oh three. Oh, nine again that's the word hope to seven oh three. Oh nine and thank you so much for. Your support your Gift To daily hope helps us share the Hope of christ with. People everywhere be sure to join us next time as we Look Into god's word for our. Daily hope this program is Sponsored By Pastor Rick's daily hope and your generous. Financial support