Speaker 1: Welcome, Welcome to the Deep Dive. Today, we're plunging into a topic that's well, it's pretty make or break for a lot of tech careers, but it's also just a really fascinating exercise in thinking, you know, structured thinking, problem solving, even communication. If you've ever felt buried under just tons of information, wondering how to pull out what really matters, well, this deep Dive it's for you. Our goal here is simple, cut through the noise, give you a shortcut to being really well informed fast. And for this journey, we're leaning on a real authority cracking The Coding Interview, sixth edition, Gail Lackman McDowell. I mean she's not just an author, founder CEO of careercup dot com. She's been deep in the tech world for years, teaching computer science, prepping engineers for some seriously tough interviews, you know, the big ones. So her insights they come from real experience. She knows what these top companies are actually looking for.
Speaker 2: That's absolutely right, and our mission today really is to pull out those core strategies, the mindsets you need not just to get through technical interviews, but to genuinely excel. And what's so interesting, and why this is relevant beyond just tech is that these principles they're not just about code. They're really fundamental problem solving techniques, logical thinking, critical analysis skills that honestly are gold in almost any field or you know, dealing with complex stuff life throws at you. So we're going to unpack that give you some things you can actually use.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's kick things off with a question. Pretty much everyone asks. The book tackles it head on. Why interview this way?
Speaker 2: Log?
Speaker 3: You hear the complaints all the time, right, great candidates sometimes bomb these things. In the real world, you'd look stuff up, you'd talk to people, and yeah, coding on a whiteboard it feels artificial. What's the book's take on all that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a really fair point. Honestly, the author kind of agrees with a lot of those complaints. The process isn't perfect, yea far from it, but understanding where the interviewer is coming from that's absolutely crucial. What's interesting is that it's not meant to be about trivia, about just memorizing facts, even though yeah, I can feel that sometimes it's designed really to get at those core problem solving skills. Algorithmic thinking, critical analysis. These are things that are just really really hard to teach someone once they're on the job. So companies are looking for that baseline aptitude, you know, a way of thinking that suggests you can learn and grow, not just what you already know or can google fast.
Speaker 1: So it's about seeing how they think fundamentally, not just a knowledge test. But isn't there a risk there that maybe brilliant people who just get nervous in that setting they get missed.
Speaker 2: Oh? Absolutely, that's a known issue and the book doesn't shy away from that. It's a challenge. But from the company's angle, these interviews are like a filter necessary maybe even if I'm perfect, They're trying to find people with strong foundational skills. It's a trade off. Basically, they want to minimize hiring mistakes, false positives, even if it means some good people false negatives might slip through. It really just highlights why as a candidate you need to understand the game. You know what they're looking for.
Speaker 1: That makes sense. It's a filtering mechanism, flaws and all. So moving on to the kinds of questions, the book really digs into algorithms, coding, design, problems. That's the main focus. It mentions behavioral questions trivia, but they're not the core emphasis for prepping. Why is that exactly?
Speaker 2: You can sort of group them into two main buckets. First, problem solving questions. These are the tough ones, usually involving data structures, algorithms, maybe system design. They're testing your deep problem solving chops, especially if those skills are like day to day requirements for the job, how you handle something new. Then you've got specialist questions. These are different. They go deep into specific areas like you know, Java garbage collection details, or specific machine learning models or network protocols. They use those when a very specific specialized skill is absolutely essential and it's not something you can just pick up quickly. But the book focuses on the problem solving stuff because it's more universal. Often the bigger hurdle.
Speaker 1: For people, right the transfer skills. So if you're prepping, what's the absolute must know stuff the book calls out It lists quite a few foundational topics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a solid list. You've got your core data structures, link lists, trees, tries that's tries, graphs, stacks, queues, heaps, vectors or arraylists and hash tables crucial stuff, and then the algorithms breadth first search, depth first search, binary search, merge, sort, quick sort, recursion, dynamic programming, and of course understanding BIGO for time and space complexity, plus memory concepts like stack versus heap and even bit manipulation. Now, for all of these, the key thing isn't just knowing the definition, it's knowing how to use them, how to implement them, what are their mechanics and critically, what are their time and space trade offs? Like a trigrade for prefix matching, you need to be able to visualize it, discuss when it's better than say a hash map.
Speaker 1: That deeper practical understanding. It's not just flashcards exactly.
Speaker 2: It's about having them in your toolbox, ready to go when you need them.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's unpack the house. The book gives this really clear, step by step strategy for tackling a problem, especially under pressure. A seven step method sounds useful.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's absolutely a life saver for keeping your thoughts organized. Step one, create a concrete example. This is so important. A common trap picking an example that it's too simple, too small, or just too perfect. It hides the tricky parts you need something specific, big enough to matter, and definitely not a special case. Like if the problem involves a list of numbers, don't just use one, two to three. Try something like mid five, zero, seven, two twenty, or an empty list or duplicates. You want an example that makes you think about edge cases constraints, helps you debug your own logic before you even write code.
Speaker 1: Right, No tiny, neat examples. Get something a bit messy, something realistic that pushes the boundaries makes total sense precisely.
Speaker 2: Step two, develop a brute force solution. Just get something working, anything, even if it's incredibly slower and inefficient, and state his time and space complexity right away. Why Because it confirms you understand the requirements. It gives you a starting point, and it shows you're making progress. It's like a drawing a quick map on a napkin. It's not perfect, but it gets you oriented.
Speaker 1: And then from that natcin map you optimize. This sounds like where the clever thinking comes in.
Speaker 2: It really is, and a great technique here is look for BUD that stands for bottlenecks, unnecessary work and duplicated work. Bottlenecks of the slow parts. Unnecessary work is stuff you're calculating that you don't need duplicated work is doing the same calculation over and over. Take that classic problem, find pairs A, B and CD such that A three plus B three you will see three plus D three to the naive way four nest of loose. That's o N four pretty slow. But if you optimize, maybe using a hash table, I think about it. You could calculate all the C three plus D three sums first, store them in a hash table key is the sum value as a list of CD pairs. That takes O N two time. Then you calculate all the A three plus B three sums another o N two and for each one you just look up the sum of your hash table. That look up is super fast, basically one on average. So the whole thing drops from four down to two. Huge difference. It shows the power of the right data structure.
Speaker 1: Wow, okay, four to N two. That's a massive improvement. That really drives home my understanding data structures isn't just academic, it's practical power. It's like finding a shortcut nobody else saw. Okay, so you've got this optimized approach, what's next to make sure it's solid?
Speaker 2: Good question? Once you have that optimized idea. Step four is crucial walk through it. Use that concrete example you made earlier. Go step by step, show how variables change, how that data flows. Don't just talk about it, simulate it. This proves you understand it deeply and helps catch flaws. After that, step five, implement it. And the goal isn't just code that works. It's beautiful code that means thinking about structure. Modularize it, break it into functions, use clear variable names. Explain your choices, maybe why you refactored something. It shows good software engineering habits, not just getting the answer.
Speaker 1: Beautiful code like that phrasing. It suggest graftsmanship, right clarity, maintain exactly.
Speaker 2: It shows you care about quality. Then step six cast your code super important, just like real development. Don't just assume it works. The book emphasizes the smart testing. Use your initial example, yes, but also test edge cases, empty inputs, single items, really big numbers, really small ones. Debug carefully if something breaks, and talk through your debugging process. They want to see how you fix things too. And finally step seven, always think about special cases and edge cases, null inputs, empty lists, maximum values, off by one errors. These are often where algorithms break down. Addressing them makes your solution robust. It shows thoroughness.
Speaker 1: I mean, so that's a fantastic roadmap for building a solid solution. But how do we judge how good it is? How efficient? This is where big O comes in, right, I hear biggo all the time. What exactly is it measuring? Why is it so critical?
Speaker 2: Excellent question, because yeh, big O is fundamental. Basically, big O notation tells you about the rate of increase of your algorithm's runtime or maybe its memory usage. Is the input size gets bigger, It's not about the exact time in seconds, it's about how it scales. You double the inputs as the work double that's linear, O in does a quadruple that's quadratic O N two makes a huge difference for large inputs. We often talk about worst case time, sometimes expected case. Best case is less common in interviews. Often worse than expected are pretty much the same anyway, So think about common run times. OH one is constant time doesn't matter how big the input is, like getting an item from an array by its index instant oh log in logarithmic, super efficient thik, binary search on a sort of list, or calculating powers of two ohn is linear work grows directly with input size, like calculating factorial O N log in is common for good sorting algorithms like merged sort O N two quadratic often pops up with nested loops. You might see os co rtn like checking if a numbers prime by testing divisors up to its square root. And then there's the scary one O two n exponential like a simple recursive Fibonacci. It's incredibly slow, very fast. The main thing the book stresses is run time is not a multiple choice question. You have to not guess, count the operations, figure out what dominates is in grows, drop the constants. That's how you really understand it. Derive, don't guess, got it. And then there's this idea of best conceivable runtime BCR. You said it's not a formal term, but sounds like a useful benchmark in an interview.
Speaker 1: It really is. Yeah, think of DCR as the absolute theoretical minimum runtime for a given problem you simply cannot do better. For example, finding the biggest number in an unsorted array, you have to look at every single element at least once, right, So the BCR is O n You can't magually do it in O logan or one because you don't know anything about the order until you look another one finding common elements and two sorted arrays. Brute force might be O N two. But the best you can possibly do is on. You can achieve that by walking through both arrays together, kind of like merging them. Now, if you hit that BCR and you do it using only one extra space, meaning your memory use doesn't grow with the input size, that's a strong signal. It tells you and the interviewer that you've probably optimal as much possible in terms of time and space complexity. You're likely done. That's a really powerful indicator knowing when you've hit the theoretical limit. Okay, so we've gone deep into the technical side, the algorithms, the big O. But what about actually landing the interview in the first place and dealing with those sometimes tricky behavioral questions. There's more to it than just.
Speaker 2: Code absolutely getting the interview a step zero for resumes the message needs to be clear, I'm smart and I can code. The book recommends a really effective format for accomplishments accomplished X by implementing Y, which led to z so not just improved rendering speed, but reduced object rendering time by seventy five percent by implementing distributed caching, which led to a ten percent drop and log in time. See clear Impact for students' recent grants. That project section. It's huge. Aim from maybe two to four solid projects. List the tech you use, languages, framework, safe with solo or team, and honestly building stuff just because you're interested. That's incredibly impressive. Shows real passion and initiative. Oh and resumes one page. If you have under ten years experience, especially in the US, keep it concise and maybe be careful about looking too focused on just one language, like say dot net. If you're going for general software roles, you might need to frame it to show broader problem solving skills too.
Speaker 1: That's great practical advice for the resume. Concrete examples impact projects. What about the behavioral side? Then those tell me about a time when questions how do you handle those?
Speaker 2: Well? Yeah, this can feel awkward. The trick is to have stories ready, but frame them to show specific qualities things companies look for, like initiative or leadership, teamwork, empathy, and don't just say what you did the book suggest breaking down the action part. So instead of just I solve the conflict, maybe say, well, I did three things. First, I talked to each person individually to understand their perspective. Second, I brought them together to find common ground. Third, we agreed on a new process. See how that gives more depth, shows your thought process. And yeah, hobbies can work too if you can frame them right. Ran a marathon shows discipline. Let a team in an online game shows leadership. Coordination connected back to positive traits.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. Frame everything to showcase relevant qualities.
Speaker 2: Okay, last big piece the offer negotiation. This is often the final step, but man, it can have a huge impact on your career. It really can. And where people sometimes leave value on the table, maybe because they're uncomfortable negotiating key things. The book mentions, First, understand the whole package. Don't just look at salary stock options. Amortize them maybe over three years, to compare offers fairly. Look at bonuses. Signing bonus benefits four to one K match everything. Second, have a viable alternative. Seriously, having another offer gives you so much more leverage. It makes your position much stronger. Third, have a specific ask. Don't just say I want more research what's reasonable for the role and your experience level, and ask for something specific eight thousand dollars more in salary or an extra five hundred stock units. It's much more effective. Fourth, it's okay to overshoot a little negotiation is usually a bit of give and take. Start a bit higher than your absolute minimum target, but be ready to justify it and maybe meet in the middle. And finally, maybe most importantly, think long term career development happiness. Don't just focus on the money right now. Consider the company's reputation, what you'll learn, promotion opportunities, the team, your manager, the product itself. Is it exciting? Does it align with your goals? These factors often matter way more for your long term career and satisfaction than just a few extra dollars up front. It's about the bigger picture.
Speaker 1: Wow, what an incredible deep dive. We've really covered the spectrum, haven't we From the nitty gritty of data structures and algorithms, to the strategy of walking through problems, analyzing efficiency with bigo, and then all the way to crafting your resume, handling behavioral questions, and negotiating that final offer thoughtfully. It seems like the real takeaway, like the book emphasizes, isn't just knowing this stuff but applying it rigorously, strategically exactly.
Speaker 2: And you know, this brings up kind of an interesting final thought. How am I really cultivating these disciplined ways of thinking, breaking down technical problems, optimizing managing your career strategically? How might that change things beyond just the job search? Like, how could it impact your ability to tackle any complex challenge, personal projects, big life decisions, maybe even how you learn new things? The underlying skills and they seem pretty badly applicable, don't they something to think about?
Speaker 1: That's a powerful question to leave everyone with. How far can these skills take you? Definitely food for thought. Well, thank you so much for joining us on this deep dive, Keep learning, keep exploring those connections, and we'll catch you on the next one.