Speaker 1: In August of twenty seventeen, two people boarded a privately built submarine in Copenhagen, a Swedish journalist who set out to write a story on the vessel and the captain who had built it. However, within hours, that vessel had sunk and only the captain was found, claiming he had dropped off that journalist safely hours ago. However, as investigators examined the evidence, that story began to fall apart, and what they uncovered instead was a case built on contradictions, forensic evidence, and a bloody crime scene that unfolded in complete isolation under the surface of the ocean. This is the story of the submarine murder of Kim Wall.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're list listening to Wicked.
Speaker 1: Ingrim, a true crime podcasting the following mature audience listener discretion.
Speaker 2: There we go.
Speaker 1: You got it.
Speaker 2: This is like my first drink in basically a week. It's gonna hit good.
Speaker 1: This is my first, nope, third drink today. I was gonna say it's my first today, but.
Speaker 2: It's my realized it was your third drink today.
Speaker 1: Holy for well, I had that mimosa and then I had a glass of wine with dinner, and now I've got a little glasses scotch here. Uh so I'm living my life today.
Speaker 2: I was super sick. I don't know. I feel like I hit it very well on the last episode. You did so, but yeah, I was sicker than sick. So yeah, I kindly, or I kindly. I finally am kind of back to myself.
Speaker 1: Which is a bit nice. And you went to the gym today I did.
Speaker 2: It's crazy, though, just being sick for a week basically, well not even five days or so, how much it impacts you, Like I couldn't even lift the same amount of weights that I would have previously. Yeah, that's just odd to me.
Speaker 1: But it's being sick does a number on a person, It.
Speaker 2: Sure does, it does. Yeah, so today's episode sounds kind of interesting, you think.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: I don't think that someone could pay me to go on a submarine.
Speaker 1: No, No, I would never go on one.
Speaker 2: I love water, but I think it's just very like deep bodies of water that I have kind of a fear towards.
Speaker 1: Well, rightfully, so they're terrifying.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because you have no idea what the hell is in there?
Speaker 1: What is it? We've only explored something like five percent of the world's oceans or something like, we have no clue what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so the thought of just going because they're mostly in oceans, are I guess maybe like super big lakes. But I just yeah, I don't think I would ever say yes to that.
Speaker 1: I think I would say yes, like really, like immediately, like without hesitation.
Speaker 2: Really yes.
Speaker 1: I would feel safe on board a submarine.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that surprises me.
Speaker 1: Actually really yeah, I would not feel safe, Like it depends on the journey. If someone's like, hey, you want to go to the bottom of the ocean and see the Titanic and I'm going to control our submarine with this little game controller that happened a few years ago with a billionaire, Yeah, I wouldn't be comfortable in that situation. We all know how that turned out. But if it's like, hey, let's just go for a chill ride in a submarine, I'm totally down.
Speaker 2: But you so say if it was a legit, well that probably was. I don't know how to work this, but say someone did offer for you to go to the Titanic and it was just like the top of the notch, like this couldn't be any safer.
Speaker 1: Oh if it couldn't be any if I was like guaranteed and there was nothing sketchy about it, Yeah, I probably would. Yeah, I probably do it.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. No, I don't think I would want to.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: I would probably just like increase our life insurance money a little bit before you left and then stay home.
Speaker 1: Increase your life our life sure insurance.
Speaker 2: I feel like it's super sketchy and like things can go wrong.
Speaker 1: I might probably be packing me a sandwich. Go ahead on the submarine, ben, It's okay, I increase life insurance on. You do your thing. I may or may not see you when you get back.
Speaker 2: But the thing is even what driving to work, you know, has some risks to it.
Speaker 1: So technically speaking, just existing has risks. Maybe you could fall out of the sky at any moment.
Speaker 2: Who knows, right, But I'm just saying i'd probably skydiving and fricking submarine or bungee jumping.
Speaker 1: See I'm opposite. Okay, I'm definitely opposite. But now our subject to this podcast. She was certainly fine with getting on board a submarine.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, I'm very interested in this one.
Speaker 1: I thought it was interesting and when I learned about it immediately, I was like, all right, I'm covering it. So Kim Wall wasn't the kind of journalist who stayed in one place for long. By the time she was thirty years old, she had already built a career that took her across multiple continents. She was covering stories that didn't always make headlines, but they carried weight in a lot of other ways. She was drawn to what she described as the undercurrents of rebellion, you know, situations where culture, politics, and everyday life intersected in ways that honestly are just kind of overlooked now. Her reporting reflected that focus that she had. She had worked in postwar Sri Lanka. She'd written about tourism in Haiti after the earthquake, explored underground tech culture in Cuba, and reported on the long term effects of nuclear testing in the Marshall Islands. Her work appeared in major publications including New York Times, The Guardian, Vice, and The Atlantic. And the way she approached these stories while they always stayed consistent, she spent time with people. She asked questions that went deeper than surface level narratives, and she tried to understand systems rather than just events. Now that approach that she had started very early for her. She grew up in southern Sweden in a household where journalism was part of everyday life. See both of her parents were journalists and the home was filled with newspapers, conversations, and constant discussion about what was happening in the world. From a young age, she showed the same kind of curiosity that would later define her work. She paid attention, she asked questions, and had a tendency to follow ideas further than most people ever would. Now as she got older, that turned into something much more focused. She studied international relations at the London School of Economics, then went to the Columbia University of New York, where she completed graduate degrees in journalism and international affairs. After that, she continued moving, working in different countries, taking on assignments that required her to adapt quickly and operate independently. By the summer of twenty seventeen, she was living in Copenhagen, Denmark with her boyfriend Ole. Now Together, they had built a life there, but it wasn't meant to be permanent. In fact, the two of them were preparing to move to Beijing within days, planning to continue their work and start something new. But before she left, she had an interview she scheduled for August tenth, which wasn't unusual for her. It wasn't a high profile assignment or anything like that. It was not something that really stood out as particularly risky either. It was simply just another story, one that fit her pattern of finding interesting people doing unusual things and taking time to try and understand them from her perspective. It was going to be a short trip. It was close to home with someone who was already relatively known. Now that man was Peter Madson. Now, Peter was a very interesting character, to say the least. He had spent years building a reputation around projects that sat outside the unusual boundaries of engineering. He wasn't formally trained in the traditional sense, but he had managed to position himself as a very serious figure in Denmark's amateur aerospace and engineering scene. He even co founded Copenhagen's Suborbitals, which is a group focused on building rockets, and he became known for taking on large scale projects that most individuals would never attempt on their own. In fact, I watched the documentary on this case, and he was often referred to as like kind of like an Denmark's Elon Musk is how many people described him.
Speaker 2: Oh really so honestly, spending any time or doing anything like an interview on him, would you would not think it would be risky whatsoever.
Speaker 1: No, he's a very public figure. Okay, now I know Elon Musk doesn't exactly have the best reputation these days, but to get the idea of, you know, an innovator and a scale of a well known name. Now, the most visible of these projects that he had made was the UC three Nautilus. It was his third build of a privately built submarine. It was crowdfunded in fact, and it had drawn attention from both the public and the media alike. By twenty seventeen, he'd become something of a local celebrity. He gave talks, participated in interviews, and was often described as unconventional but very driven, someone who pushed ahead with ideas regardless of whether they fit the established systems. The kind of profile that he had made him a very appealing subject for journalists, especially those interested in people working on the edges of innovation, and that's how Kim came to learn about him. He was a man building submarines. He was building rockets outside of institutional support, and it was the kind of story that she was naturally drawn to. It was unusual, self directed, and connected to broader questions about ambition, independence and how people carved out space for themselves.
Speaker 2: I do have to say, Kim seems like she lives an incredible life, like very experienced one hundred percent.
Speaker 1: A very experienced individual is a good way of saying it, and I think that's what it was. She lived a very thorough life, not only through herself but through her work and the people she talked to, which I honestly hold it a really high regard. I really respect that. Now she reached out him to arrange an interview, and initially he agreed, but actually setting it up between the two of them proved to be a bit difficult. Dates were suggested and then postponed, and communication went quiet for stretches of time too, And as the weeks passed, with her planning to move Beijing getting closer, it started to look like the opportunity might not come together. And I'm sure we can all sympathize, you know, trying to make plans with friends and stuff. Things get in the way. It's like, well what about Tuesday, But I can't do Tuesday at work? Well what about Wednesday? No, not good for me. I got dinner.
Speaker 2: Like you know, everyone is so busy exactly.
Speaker 1: So trying to set it up was kind of a similar situation. So by early August, she had largely accepted that she might have to just move on and not get the story. But then on the morning of August tenth, Peter contacted her once again. He asked if she was still interested in doing the interview and suggested that they do it that very day. He had time now instead of meeting on land, though, he actually proposed that she come aboard the submarine itself. He said that they can go out in the harbor, they can talk a while on the water, and then you know, go submerge for a while, so she can get the experience and then be back on land within a couple hours. Now, it was short notice, but it was also exactly what she was hoping to arrange. He suggested she come down to the dock that evening and join him on the submarine for that short trip, then could be back by about nine point thirty which would still leave her enough time to return home before dinner. The timing was an ideal, but it was workable. Kim spoke to her boyfriend Olay about it. She asked if he was okay with her stepping out for a few hours before dinner, and he was. Opportunities like this weren't unusual for her, especially when it was something she'd been trying to arrange for a while, so she agreed to meet him that evening. At one point, while she was getting ready, she admitted that the idea of going out in a homemade submarine made her feel a little uneasy, and it wasn't something she had done before.
Speaker 2: I get that.
Speaker 1: There was a moment where she actually considered whether it was even worth it now Ole her boyfriend offered to go with her, but she decided against it, saying no, no, it's no big deal. There was still work to do for the evening, and from her perspective, this didn't feel like a situation that required any sort of caution.
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I feel like she has a bit of a gut feeling that she's not listening to right now.
Speaker 1: It's not so much that it's just it's a weird situation. It's different like she's worked in far more unpredictable environments, right, like literal war zones and true right, So for her it was just like a new situation, any sort of thing. The plan was straightforward. She was going to go down to the dock, spend a couple hours on the submarine, complete the interview, and return for their for their late dinner together. So at around seven pm, Kim arrived at the dock in Copenhagen where the UC three Nautilus was moored. Now the submarine itself wasn't hidden or difficult to find. In fact, it was kind of stood out with something people in the area already recognized. You know, you don't see a submarine parked at a dock very often, right, No, you don't. So it was also like the identity around around Peter. He'd built this identity. It was very public, very very well spotted. It's that low in the water. It was sleek and black, long and narrow, with a small upper hatch that protruded upwards. And this is where people could stand above the surface before submerging. So you're in this little spot. You can close the hatch and go down in submarine and then it goes under. When Kim met him that evening, he was very friendly. There wasn't anything unusual about their interaction, and the two of them were both very excited. The interview, she said that she was trying to set up for months was finally happening at that very last minute, and for Peter he got to show off his homemade submarine. Soon she found herself stepping onto the vessel, and not long after that the Nautilus began moving away from the dock. Now, this vessel was seen by people on passing boats as it departed into the ocean waters. One recording actually even shows them. That evening shows both Kim and Peter above the surface, standing in the open section near the hatch. Kim appears calm looking out across the water, and it looks exactly exactly what you picture in your mind. The small submarine off in the distance, two people poking out and they go down inside, and that's where she was going to be beginning the interview. The submarine then moved further out into the harbor and it gradually disappeared from view at around eight thirty pm. Kim sent a message from the submarine by that point, she'd been on board for roughly an hour and a half, the interview was underway, and from everything in the message, the situation just appeared normal. There was no urgency in her wording, no indication that anything had gone wrong. She had wrote the message to her boyfriend Olay, and it said quote still alive as a light, almost playful line to.
Speaker 2: Her boyfriend, oh man, oh gosh.
Speaker 1: And then she joked that there was cookies and coffee on board, and then she added that they were about to go down, referencing the submarine going and submerging in the water. Before ending the message, she told Olay that she loved him. After that, there was no further communication. There were no follow up messages, no calls, and no indication that the submarine had resurfaced or returned to the dock. Now it's important to clarify once a vessel goes underwater, it would lose signal entirely, and so delays weren't necessarily unusual for a situation like this. Kim was expected back at around nine thirty PM, and at first there was no immediate reason to ascern assume that anything was wrong. When she didn't show up on time at home. Sure, interviews can run longer than normal, especially when they're unfolding in an unusual setting like a submarine, for example. There were also practical limitations once submerged. They would be no signal and the lack of communication. It didn't stand out right away to Olay, but by around ten thirty he started to feel a bit uneasy. He tried reaching out to her, expecting the submarine might have at least surface by then, but there was still no response. The dinner they had planned was waiting and hadn't returned any sort of message or update of any kind. As more time passed, the silence began to carry much more of a weight. Then by midnight, the delay was no longer something that could be dismissed as you know, something that was just a scheduling issue, And the longer it went on, the fewer reasonable explanations there were. Oleay continued to contact her, or at least try, but nothing went through. By around one forty five pm, after several hours without any contact, no sign of the submarine returning nothing, Olay decided to call the police and report her missing, and once that report came in, the response moved.
Speaker 2: Quickly, so she was supposed to be home about nine thirty, correct, and at this point it's one forty five correct. You would be losing your frickin' shit at this point. That is probably terrifying.
Speaker 1: Yep. And the fact that it's like, well, there's not even a response that you know, she's at surface level. Yeah, so okay, maybe the submarine gets to the surface and then you got to you know what more at the dock, and then you got to get home, so maybe an extra half an hour after it even surfaces. So you're sitting here thinking, one forty.
Speaker 2: Five still no response, Oh my god.
Speaker 1: Which means she's going to be home around what like close to two thirty.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is way too long. Like I feel like in this kind of scenario, tops two hours and then I would just be frickin' beside myself.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a good actual timeframe. I agree with that. Now, the fact that Kim hadn't simply just failed to return home, but instead she had actually last been seen boarding a homemade submarine with Peter that was now unaccounted for, well, this all changed the scale of the response. From the very start, the Danish police began coordinating with the Coastguard and the Navy, and a search effort was launched across the waters surrounding Copenhagen. Patrol boats moved into the harbor and went out along the expected route that the submarine was supposed to have taken, or at least thought to have taken. Helicopters were sent up to scan from above, covering a wider area and looking for any sign of the vessel breaking the surface. Attempts were made to establish contact with Peter over the marine radio, but there was just no response.
Speaker 2: They're taking this very seriously right off the bat, which is so good.
Speaker 1: They are they are. I mean, you have a missing persons, but you also now technically have two missing persons and a potentially failed vessel missing submarine. Yeah, so this is massive. It's honestly a catastrophic scale, even if you don't go along the side of murder, because this has environmental issues going along with it. With a vessel capsized or sunk, it could potentially be debris in the waters which could capsize another vessel. So there's a lot of things that can go wrong in this situation like this. Now, as the night went on, the search expanded sonar equipment was used in an effort to try and locate the submarine below the water, while Cruz checked surrounding sh shorelines in case something had been washed up or come up unexpectedly. And the longer the search went on without finding anything, the more concerning the situation became. By the morning of August eleventh, after hours of searching with no contact, the UC three Nautilus was finally located. The submarine had surfaced in the waters just south of Copenhagen. Boats in the area moved toward it after a distress signal was reported, and when the boats reached within eyesight of the vessel, they could see Peter. He was already outside, standing on top in the hatch, waving his arms. He was calling for help before he dove in the water and was soon rescued by one of the nearby boats. Kim, though she was nowhere to be seen. It was just Peter. There was no explanation for her absence either, and before any detailed questions could be answered, the situation shifted once again, as the submarine that Peter had just abandoned did not remain floating. It began taking on water and slowly sank beneath the surface. Witnesses later described how it didn't drop suddenly or break apart. It slowly settled downward in almost a controlled way, disappearing below the waterline until it was completely gone. By the time the authorities arrived, the Nautilus was no longer visible. Peter was brought back to the shore, where police were already waiting for him. When he was there, they asked where Kim was, and he gave a very direct answer. He said that nothing had happened to her. He said that he had dropped her off safely on land earlier the evening, before before any problems with the submarine even began. Now, at that moment, there was no immediate evidence to contradict anything he said, but the situation already carried a problem, one that couldn't be ignored, and that was the fact that Kim was still missing. Within minutes of stepping ashore, Peter was placed under arrest and taken in for questioning.
Speaker 2: Oh really, because see, just as someone like listening to this or hearing this, I wouldn't think that that story doesn't not make sense.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a lot wrong with this because Kim is missing, right right, No one can get a hold of her. If she was dropped off on shore safely last night, where is she? He is the last one who's seen her live. I guess who allegedly dropped her off.
Speaker 2: What happens if something happened to her on her way home, you know, from him dropping her off or something.
Speaker 1: It's very potential. But there's things about it that don't quite add up. Why hasn't she texted Oley at all? Why has no one said anything. He also didn't really say exactly where he dropped her off right away.
Speaker 2: Oh okay.
Speaker 1: Then there's a few other suspicious things that happened. The way the submarines sank, it didn't sink in what many professional opinions were in a dramatic sense of an accident or a failure. It almost looked like it was going in a die in a very controlled way, almost like it was done on.
Speaker 2: Purpose, Like he was sinking it on purpose.
Speaker 1: Yes, and this is coming from professionals who watched it go down, and immediately as they're seeing it go down, say they're saying, this isn't right. He could have stopped that. Something's wrong.
Speaker 2: Okay, So it didn't need to It wasn't going down like it wouldn't have sunk if he didn't do something.
Speaker 1: That's the suspicion. Okay, not only that. Now, this again speculation. I don't know if there was a sample taken from this or what. But there is camera footage of him arriving on shore. People are interviewing, asking questions, and he's being taken away by police and all this sort of stuff. So if you watch that footage and look at some of the photos that were taken when he came ashore, there's something that appears to be a smudge on the end of his nose and it appears to be blood.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, okay, well right there, that would do it, yes, without anything else. Just the fact that he is some potential blood on the tip of his nose is not okay.
Speaker 1: So there's a lot that's not adding up. So the fact he was taken into custody is not just a matter of oh, well, your last person who's seen her. There's a lot of question marks already in the air.
Speaker 2: It makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now. During questioning, Peter said that problems with the submarine happened after he had dropped Kim off on shore the night before. He described a technical failure that had caused the vessel to take on water. There had been no emergency involving Kim, no accident, and no reason to believe that anything had happened to her while she was on board. It was a straightforward story, and if it were true, then Kim was in fact somewhere in Copenhagen and the situation would shift away from the submarine entirely when she was found. But even in those first interviews, there were details that still didn't line up cleanly. When he spoke about the night, he focused heavily on the submarine, on the mechanics of what went wrong, the loss of the vessel, the sequence of events that led to its scene thinking, and when it came to Kim, his answers were noticeably very less so specific. It didn't provide a clear location even where he dropped her off, as I mentioned, and there was no way for police to immediately confirm that part of the account.
Speaker 2: Okay, devil's advocate here, though, if he's the man that built this vessel, I could understand him kind of being fixated on it a little bit more because of the amount of time he's spent on building that and now it's gone and that would mean a lot to him.
Speaker 1: For sure, for sure, but it's really hard to portray how he was acting and reporting this. There's interviews of people saying how they knew him very closely, how he spoke, how he acted about things like this, and he was almost a very over the top poetic individual. But it seemed like how he was speaking in these terms was very detailed and matter of fact, not poetic, not being like the submarine went down and it's the way life is, and I'm excited for moving on in the ventures to take me forth. He's not speaking like that like he normally does. It's more of there was a failure and the vessel took on water. I couldn't control it and it went down, almost like he's rehearsed specific points to hit in a story that very robotic boom boom, okay.
Speaker 2: Like he's gone through a checklist.
Speaker 1: Almost per se. Yeah, and then when it comes to Kim, he's not supposed to have a checklist, so there's nothing to say. So it's very almost rehearsed, very prepared, robotic. I guess now at that point there was no direct evidence to prove that he was lying, but there was also nothing to support his version of events either, So it was kind of this neutral zone of which it's true. Now, even before any physical evidence was recovered, parts of the situation were already starting to raise a lot of concern. People with experience around submarines began pointing out that what had happened to the UC three Nautilus didn't make sense as an accident, something I already discussed. A vessel like this doesn't typically just take on water and sink without warning, especially not in calm conditions over a short timeframe. The way it had gone down slowly, with a hatch left open, it suggested something else entirely. Submarines are in fact designed to keep water out. Now, there were also questions about Peter's calm and focused behavior once he was rescued. Now, as police began trying to verify Peter's account, the first real cracks appeared almost immediately. The first thing his claim bolt where he had dropped Kim off safely on land. If that were true, there should be some record of it. The harbor area where he soon said he dropped her off, it wasn't isolated. There were CCTV cameras everywhere. There were also boats and people moving through the area regularly. It wasn't the kind of place that someone could simply appear with a submarine and disappear without being seen. Investigator started pulling that CCTV footage from locations along the waterfront, focusing on that time window when Peter said he had returned Kim to the shore, but there was nothing. No footage showed her disembarking, no sightings from witnesses, nothing showed that she had ever left the submarine after boarding it that evening, no sightings of the submarine even in the area that he claimed either. At the same time, there were no signs of her anywhere. She hadn't contacted anyone, she hadn't returned home. Her belongings were even still unaccounted for, and within a short period, the original explanation that she'd been dropped off safely clearly no longer had any support in the last confirmed place that Kim Wall had been seen while was still on the UC three Nautilus. Soon efforts shifted towards recovering the submarine and examining what had happened on board. The submarine was soon located on the seabed and eventually brought back up to the surface after securing the heavy equipment able to do the job. Once it was accessible, though, investigators began a detailed inspection of the interior. One of the first conclusions was that there was no clear mechanical failure that would have caused it to sink on its own. The systems didn't show any sort of signs of a sudden breakdown at all. Instead, the way the vessel had taken on water pointed towards something being done intentionally, like someone left the water flow, let the water just flow into the vessel, or something now inside. They also began to find some physical evidence too. They found traces of blood aboard. They also found personal items that belonged to Kim that were in fact still there, including clothing that had not been removed from the submarine before it went under.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, like if he had dropped her off, she would be taking those with her exactly.
Speaker 1: At this instance, the focus of the investigation had shifted fully. The question was no longer where Kim had gone after leaving the submarine, but now it is what had happened to her while she was still on it. The investigators presented their new findings to Peter, you know, the blood, her clothes, the CCTV footage that showed she did not get dropped off where he said she did. And while at that point his account of what had happened changed, Peter admitted there to investigators that she had in fact died on board the submarine and he had lied about dropping her off. According to him, there was an accident on board the vessel. He said, the heavy hatch on the submarine was open at one point while they were up on the surface, and it had fallen, slamming shut while she stood in the way, and it struck her in the head, killing her unintentionally. Now, instead of contacting authorities or trying to bring her back ashore, he told investigators that he chose to dispose of her body at sea, described placing her in the water himself, framing it as something that he did in a state of shock rather than a calculated decision, and at one point he characterized it as some kind of burial, saying that he put her in the sea, you know, as almost like a form of respect sort of situation. According to this version of events, everything that followed her death, moving the body, you know, removing it from the submarine and leaving it in the water. It was all the result of panic and an inability to deal with what had happened, but all in all, for the first time, Peter was placing her death inside the submarine, and he acknowledged that something had happened while they were alone together, but the explanation was still framed in a way that was something outside of his control, a sudden, unplanned accident. It was an unlikely story, but certainly not impossible, and they had no way to prove it otherwise either.
Speaker 2: I feel though, if it's if that's what actually happen, why would you go about hiding.
Speaker 1: It because he said he panicked, which.
Speaker 2: I guess, but I feel like maybe you would serve some time. I don't know. But also if it's just an accident, probably not. And then just releasing her body into the sea that as respect or something that's actually like the opposite. It's completely disrespectful when her family is not now going to be able to lay her to rest.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm not saying he said he did it in respect, though I want to clarify that he almost like made it seem like it was a.
Speaker 2: Respectful, a respectful way of letting her bee free exactly.
Speaker 1: But he framed it in that sort of sense, but he didn't say it was a respectful thing.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, geez, I don't know. Just listening to this, I'm like, how does this buddy think that he was going to get away with this shit?
Speaker 1: Well, it gets even worse, okay, because on August twenty first, eleven days after kim Wall disappeared, the case changed once again. A cyclist was riding along the shoreline through Copenhagen and came across something sitting in the water near the edge of a beach. Authorities were soon called to examine what was found on the shoreline, and they confirmed that what was found was a human torso. It had been cut apart. There were no arms, there were no legs, and there was no head attached. It had also been deliberately weighed down. Metal objects had been attached to it in a way that suggested it had been placed in the water with the intention of keeping it submerged. But despite that, though it had resurfaced still shortly after the discovery, investigators were able to identify the remains as belonging to Kim Wall through DNA analysis.
Speaker 2: He has some explaining to do because that doesn't make any sense I was thinking it was. I was like, oh, my goodness, thankfully her body has come to shore. But you would not expect it to come ashore that way.
Speaker 1: Definitely, not not dismembered, not weighed down.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, with this discovery, the investigation focused on coordinating their search of the surrounding waters for the rest of Kim's remains. Divers were sent out repeatedly to comb through the areas where currents were likely to carry anything released into the sea. The work was slow and very methodical. Visibility underwater was extremely limited, and the search area was vast. Teams had a map of currents and estimated drift patterns, and they returned to the same locations multiple times. A dismembered body didn't line up with Peter's story at all either. He could, however, possibly claim something like maybe animals did it, or a boat propeller or getting tangled and fishing equipment. Who knows, Who knows what sort of story he could come up with to try and explain this away. So police knew what they had to do was focus on proving his claim of Kim being hit in the head, and they needed to prove it wrong. So if this was true, if that hatch on the submarine had contacted her head and killed her, she would have suffered blunt force trauma to the head and likely a massive skull fracture. So if they find the rest of her remains, they could see if there was such trauma to her head. Well, if there wasn't, it would prove he was lying. So over the following weeks they searched diligently through the waters. Then, with the help of experts in the water currents, they focused on one specific area where he believed it would likely carry her remains. They are under the water in the murky depths. One diver came across something. It was a bag, then there was another. Inside each bag were Kim's remains, her head, arms, and legs. They were all found separate, placed in bags, and weighed down in the same way that the torso was. Each discovery confirmed that the body had not come apart naturally, it had been intentionally dismembered and distributed through the water in ways that suggested planning. They were in Begs Hole.
Speaker 2: That is just such an eerie picture to go about finding that, and then also it's right away. It's like we got you.
Speaker 1: Along with the remains, investigators also recovered items connected to the crime, including tools consistent with cutting, such as a saw and knives. The pattern was consistent across everything that was found. The body parts had been treated the same way, prepared and weighed down the same way before thrown into the sea, and there was no indication of panic or improvisation in how they had been handled. Now in forensic examinations were completed on the rest of Kim's remains, there was no evidence of the kind of injury Peter had claimed occurred, no skull fractures, and no blunt force trauma that matched what he had described, which meant he was clearly lying. If we it wasn't obvious enough already, But the one fact he did provide was proved wrong.
Speaker 2: This guy, what on earth is he doing? Well?
Speaker 1: If that wasn't enough, After they confronted him with this information, he changed his story again.
Speaker 2: Oh frick I don't know. I don't even understand how anyone could take this man remotely seriously, Like he's obviously.
Speaker 1: Nuts, he's bonkers.
Speaker 2: He cut up some innocent woman's body, and his frickin' submarine. Yeah, okay, this is this is just mine.
Speaker 1: This is literally a horror movie, is what this is?
Speaker 2: Pretty much? Actually, this could totally be turned into that. Yeah, it is that.
Speaker 1: Now. Peter claimed that Kim had died now from carbon monoxide poisoning while he was on deck, suggesting that she had been overcome by fumes inside the submarine during another mechanical failure while she was below and he was above. But that explanation didn't hold up either. There was no toxic evidence found in her body that would indicate she had been exposed to lethal levels of carbon monoxide either. Each version Peter gave conveniently place the cause of death outside of his control, and each one presented the situation as an accident, and each one directly contradicted the physical evidence. Now, there was still more that they found regarding the condition of her remains, too, though that raised even further questions. The dismembermentt you know, it had been done in a way that was not urgent or with any sort of panic. Of course, there was the weights, the separation of body parts, and the way it had been disposed, right, we understand that, But the remains also showed multiple other injuries that could not be explained by any accounts Peter had given. For example, there were several puncture wounds consistent with repeated stabbing, isolated to the lower torso and vaginal area on Kim's remains.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, this guy is batshit crazy.
Speaker 1: Along with this, there were also indications that Kim had been restrained. Holy frig these injuries were not random, just like the dismemberment was not random, and they couldn't be explained by anything Peter attempted to come up with. Then, to top it all off, DNA evidence connected everything back to the submarine. As I mentioned, blood was found inside the UC three Nautilus submarine, and the DNA confirmed that it was in fact Kim's blood. It was clear that whatever happened to her had taken place within that confined space. At the same time, Peter's DNA was found on her remains too, though I was unable to determine through my research exactly if it was blood or seamen or something else, but I do know his DNA was found. The traces of Kim's blood were also recovered from inside the submarine, as I mentioned, but also on his clothes. Further, reinforcing that the vessel had been the scene of the crime. To put it in simple terms, there was no longer any question about where this had happened or what had happened. It was only a matter of how it had happened. Peter had attacked and killed Kim on the vessel, period, full stop. She would have been in an isolated and confined space under the surface of the ocean, alone with a person who attacked and killed her, with no hope of escape.
Speaker 2: Oh man, well if you didn't if you wanted to go on a submarine before, do you want to now?
Speaker 1: Well, not this one, that's for sure.
Speaker 2: Scary scary stuff like this, poor girl. Yeah, I cannot even imagine what would have like. That's just horrifying.
Speaker 1: Even imagine this. So she can't run anywhere, right, she can't. There's nowhere for her to go. She's in a confined space below the ocean like that's it, very.
Speaker 2: Much so out of her comfort zone. She has no weapons or nothing.
Speaker 1: So her only hope of survival is to overpower him. Now if she overpowers him, now what oh, Now, she can't drive this thing, She can't get back to the surface.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I didn't even go there. So she's just like, what between a rock and a hard place? Really?
Speaker 1: Yeah, So if she does overpower him, it's not like he's going to let her back to the surface. Okay, I guess we're just down here then you know what, I'm not letting you go like sorry, Wow, so she is fucked.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this is just terrible.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 1: As investigators continued their investigation and expanded beyond the physical evidence on hand, a second layer of the case began to take shape, one that focused on what had been happening before Kim ever stepped onto the submarine at all. When they examined Peter's digital activity, they found material that add context to the violence already established through the forensics. They found several files of videos and photos, all this sort of stuff on his computer depicting women being subject to torture and killings. No many of these were pornographic snuff films, which is a genre of pornography where women are abused and killed in a sexual context.
Speaker 2: Holy shit, So this guy is a nasty asshole.
Speaker 1: Yeah he is. Alongside that, investigators also uncovered messages and communications in which he had described violence scenarios in detail, including ideas about him wanting to harm someone on board the submarine. He had Bill.
Speaker 2: Solely frick this. This story is mind.
Speaker 1: Blowing, Yeah it is. And I have no idea how this fucking douche Canoe thought he was going to get away with this.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, like, is he's stupid because there really is no way that he I mean, okay, like some of his stories, I guess I could kind of understand, you know that the hitting the head thing, but then it doesn't make sense that you wouldn't, you know, bring your summarine in and get help and just release her body instead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, But.
Speaker 2: But then the fact that I don't know, did he not think that anyone.
Speaker 3: Seem like discombobulary right now, because it's just all flashing in my head, like the fact that he cuts up her body and then disposes of it that way and he thinks that's just going to stay in the freaking Ouchian forever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he did a shitty job. For the fact that the torso came to shore.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: So I don't know. This guy is just he's disgusting, he's stupid, and.
Speaker 1: He's just a prick, and he's just a prick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, investigators also uncovered messages. I already said that part my apologies. So these messages, they weren't vague references, you know, saying that he wants to do these things, these violent scenarios and everything. They outlined very specific methods and were tied directly to the environment that he had controlled. And now it also became clear that Kim had not been the only person Peter had tried to bring on the submarine who In the days leading up to August tenth, he had contacted multiple women inviting them to join him on the submarine under similar circumstances. Now, each time the condition was the same. He wanted them to come alone and enjoy the ride sort of thing. But for various reasons, none of those meetings happened. Kim, though, was ultimately the one who agreed. Investigators also looked at what had been brought onto the submarine that night. There were tools consistent with cutting saws, knives, things that had been present. These were not items that you just find in a submarine. They were items taken onto the vessel and were later recovered in the water. In fact, there are videos of Peter because he's, you know what, like an engineer type, and he's online, he does interviews, all this sort of thing. There's videos of the saw they recovered hanging in the background his shop, the very same saw they recovered from the bottom of the ocean. These formed a pattern that went beyond simple opportunity. It was something that had been thought about in advance, and the case against Peter, honestly at this point is staggering. It also caught a lot of people off guard that Peter was capable of something like this, and when words spread, they were taken aback. He had spent years presenting himself as a very smart, driven, unconventional engineer, for sure, But he had spent years presenting himself as a smart, driven, unconventional engineer and known for taking on projects outside traditional systems, you know, building rockets or submarines with limited resources, and surrounding himself with people who were drawn to that kind of ambition that he shared. He spoke confidently about his work, positioned himself as someone operating beyond normal limits. But the closer investigators and witnesses looked, the more that image began to shift. People who had interacted with him began to describe a pattern of control he preferred to set. The terms of every situation where meetings took place, who was present, how conversations unfolded, and when those conditions were met. He could come across as engaging and focused, but when they weren't, his behavior could change extremely quickly. Several women who had been in contact with him also described similar experiences. He would invite them into environments that he controlled, often isolated settings like the submarine or his workshop. Now, the interactions didn't always escalate, but there was a consistent pattern in how he structured those encounters now By the time the investigation in this case, there were also indications that his behavior had been shifting in the period leading up to the events. In August of twenty seventeen, some people noted increasing instability, along with a stronger focus on themes in both his private communications and digital activity. During legal evaluations, he was described as having narcissistic and psychopathic traits. He was not found to be delusional or detached from reality, but instead he was considered fully aware of his actions and capable of understanding the consequences behind them, and that distinction was important. It meant that what had happened inside the submarine could not be explained as a loss of control in the moment now. Eventually, the case went to trial in March of twenty eighteen in Copenhagen, and all the findings in the investigation were presented in full peace by peace. Over the course of several weeks, more than forty witnesses were called. Investigators outlined the submarine, how it had been recovered and examined, and explaining why the sinking could not be attributed to mechanical failure. Forensic experts detailed the injuries found on Kim's body and explained why they were were inconsistent with any of the explanations Peter had. Divers and search teams described the recovery of the remains and the tools that had been weighing them down and discarded in the water. Digital evidence had also been presented, including the material found on his computer and the communications that outlined violent scenarios connected to the submarine. And then Peter himself chose to testify. During his time on the stand, he repeated the versions of events he had settled on, that Kim had died accidentally while on board and that everything that followed had been the result of panic. He spoke in detail, often focusing on technical explanations and attempting to account for sequences of events in ways that distance himself from intent. But the explanations continued to conflict with the evidence. Where he described a single accidental incident, a forensic finding showed multiple injuries and proved otherwise. Where he described panic, the disposal the body and tools suggested a series of controlled actions. Each time his account was compared to what had been recovered, and it failed to align. Throughout the proceedings, he remained composed, at times detached, and showed little visible reaction to the details being presented. The tone of his testimony did not change even as the evidence against him became more direct. But no matter what he tried to say, it was obvious that Kim boarded the UC three Nautilus on the evening of August tenth, and remained on the submarine as it left the harbor. There was no point after that where she was ever seen leaving the vessel, and no evidence that it returned ashore before the events that followed. At some stage after her final message was sent to her boyfriend Olay, the situation inside the submarine changed. Then at some point in time, while on board, she sustained multiple injuries that were not consistent with a single accidental event, occurred over time within a confined space where no one else was present, only her and Peter. Then, at some point after her death, her body was dismembered, weighed down, and discarded. This reconstruction did not rely on speculation. It was reconstructed directly from the evidence that had been recovered. Kim entered that submarine alive, and everything that happened to her occurred inside, and she did not leave it alive. On April twenty fifth, twenty eighteen, the court delivered its verdict after reviewing the full body of evidence, the forensic findings, the digital records, and the recovery of Kim's remains, and the multiple conflicting accounts given by Peter. The judges rejected the explanation that her death had been accidental, and Peter Madson was found guilty of murder, aggravated sexual assault, and desecration of a corpse. The court determed that the attack had been pre planned and carried out with intent, not the result of a sudden or uncontrolled event. As a result, he was sentenced to life in prison.
Speaker 2: Okay, good, there is no world where he would have gotten away with this.
Speaker 1: No, definitely not. And I do want to say this so too, before we get off topic, it's important to note that in Denmark, a life sentence does A life sentence doesn't always mean like a fixed number of years, but it does represent the most severe punishment available and can result in incarceration for the remainder of a person's life. But there's no specifics around what life really means.
Speaker 2: Okay, but I mean, let's just hope that he's in there for the rest of his life.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, Peter of course appealed the verdict, arguing that the sentence was disproportionate and the circumstances did not support the conviction for premeditated murder, but that appeal was denied. Now, for years after the conviction, Peter Can continued to maintain that Kim's death was not intentional, even after the evidence that had been presented in court. Even after the verdict and sentencing, he still held that version of events that framed what had happened was an accident, saying he didn't do it on purpose.
Speaker 2: He's obviously freaking delusional.
Speaker 1: He is. The details shifted over time in the story that he was telling though, like he like, well this or well that, but basically what he's saying he didn't mean to kill her all in all.
Speaker 2: I mean, he is good at storytelling, I'll give him that, but I can't see the escalation of this. Her body now being in like different garbage bags at the bottom of the sea and stuff. But yeah, he didn't mean to do it. I don't, just know.
Speaker 1: I disagree. As a storyteller myself, I disagree and say he's a terrible storyteller. Okay, I gotta say that.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean I can understand. I guess I screwed up, like I'm not going to get away with this, like going to hide it, and you kind of your body just maybe goes through these emotions, but not the motions of dismembering a body. I don't think. I don't know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's there's what two different avenues you can play. One it was an accident I panicked, or two I blocked out. They literally proved he could not call it I blocked out scenario, So he's literally he's only going with the other option. Yeah that, Oh, it was an accident, which is one of the most obvious and shitty cover ups.
Speaker 2: Ever, Yeah, and it's so interesting too to just I don't know. At one point, just like admit it, admit that you're a frickin monster and you did this well.
Speaker 1: In twenty twenty, while in prison, Peter took part in a documentary project in which a journalist recorded hours of conversation with him, and during one of those interviews, he was asked directly whether he killed Kim. He said yes, okay. He stated that he was responsible for her death and acknowledge that he had committed the crime, and this marked the very first time he admitted that what happened inside the submarine that day was in fact intentional. So he did come out and admit it eventually. Now he didn't have anything to gain. He didn't have anything to lose at that point either.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: After the trial and sentencing, Peter was placed in a high security prison to serve his life sentence. So I guess that, combined with a bit of time to sit on it, made him feel like you could finally speak the truth.
Speaker 2: Well, honestly, at that point, I do, I feel like you would have maybe something to gain, because then you can be like admitting your actions and then show remorse and continue and like start your rehabilitation. And that may look good.
Speaker 1: For you potentially, but there's something coming up here that will directly disagree with that statement.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, whether he spoke about the truth or not, either way, the truth was already out there. People already knew that he had killed her. He just finally admitted it, both legally, you know, and in the emittance. And now his time passed, things surrounding the story just kind of started to settle. And then in October of twenty twenty, that very same year when he admitted it, Peter made another move. He escaped from prison.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, was not expecting.
Speaker 1: That, which directly contradicts him trying to be a model prisoner.
Speaker 2: And Hooks sure does.
Speaker 1: Now, while behind bars, Peter managed to create for himself something that looked like a gun while in prison. Now it wasn't, but it was convincing enough that he was able to threaten officers inside the prison and get them to let him out. CCTV footage captured shows Peter fleeing from the prison with officers pursuing behind him, and thankfully, he didn't make it.
Speaker 2: Very far, oh thank goodness.
Speaker 1: However, it still wasn't over see. He also created a bomb replica that he strapped to his body, again not real. So while he was held at gunpoint with literal snipers pointing the barrel at him, he was sitting on a patch of grass, surrounded, nowhere to go, and police worked with the situation and eventually figured out that it was not real. They were able to put him in cuffs and back behind bars. Now, after everything that had happened, for Kim's family and those who knew her as well, the focus did not stay on the way that her life had ended. Instead, it shifted back to the work she had spent years building. Kim had made a career out of telling other people's stories, often people who didn't have a PlantForm or whose experiences were overlooked, and that approach became the foundation for how her story would be carried forward. The goal wasn't to define her by what had happened to her on the submarine on August tenth, twenty seventeen, but instead it keeps the focus on who she had been and what she had contributed to Her family established the Kim Wall Memorial Fund, which as an initiative design to support female journalists working on projects that reflect the kind of reporting that she had pursued. The Fund provides grants for independent reporting around the world, continuing the same type of work that had defined her career, stories rooted in curiosity, persistence, and willingness to go further than surface level narratives. In the years following her death, her work has continued to be read, shared, and translated all across the globe. The stories she has already written remain part of public record, and new attention has been brought to the subjects that she has already covered. But for those closest to her, the focus remains consistent. They choose to speak about her as a journalist, about her as a person, and as someone who has spent her life trying to understand the world and explain it to others. What happened to her became part of her story. Yes, that's true, but it did not define it. And from one storyteller to another, I want to name Kim Wall the badass of the day today because that's her story, the story of Kim Wall.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, what an incredible woman. Definitely this story, Yeah, this is like a bizarre one, it I mean, it's kind of sad too, because you just think like, there's no way that she would have thought something like this would have happened to her in a situation not a chance, right, So she just had no way of protecting herself or even knowing I guess you know that she could have potentially been in danger. And that's just really sad.
Speaker 1: There was no foresight in the situation. I mean, she's literally been in war ridden third world countries and for this, this was just a night out to go and this is small town reporting to her sort of thing. It's a small story. She should have been safe.
Speaker 2: Well, because especially this guy being known too write exactly. It just I feel like no red flags other than I guess going on a submarine would have been going off.
Speaker 1: No, not a one, especially considering there's there's already articles out there, there's already news casts and and things going on with interviews with Peter and everything. Why would she think otherwise people have talked to him. What's different She's going to be another one to talk to him, maybe look at a different angle, maybe get a different experience or different quote. Sure, but it's been done. Why would this one be any different? Yeah, as far as safety, goes anyways, I'm sure her perspective, her story would have been different, but safety should have been the same.
Speaker 2: But at that time he had just decided to just.
Speaker 1: He was a perverted piece of shit.
Speaker 2: Well, and it escalated, right, and he decided this was going to be the time that he let it get go too far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, act out as fantasy.
Speaker 2: Finally, gosh, oh the poor thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hope that man rots. There is a website you can go as well and read Kim's articles and everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's Remembering Kim Wall. So if you want to go there and check out, you know, some of her writings, and it's got tributes and things like awards and all that sort of things on there. I do recommend it. It's a great website. I went through a few of her articles. I'm going to go through more to say the list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean those short like way too short. Her life was way too short. I mean, one silver lining is that she did it seems as though she lived a very beautiful life she did prior to this, right, So I mean maybe that that does it gives you a little bit of comfort, I suppose, But still this should not have happened.
Speaker 1: No, it shouldn't have. She lived her life well, but she should have lived far longer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she had a lot more. They were just about to move. She was so close right to just this not happening. So it's really too bad.
Speaker 1: It is, but thank you for being here. Hopefully you guys get a chance to go check out our website and read some of her work. Like guys, like I said, it is good. I could. I wish I could write like she does. I strive to hopefully one day. But yeah, I'm going to drink the rest of this drink in the name for King Kim Wall and I'm just gonna leave it at that. Thank you for being here, and until next time. Until next time, stay wicked bo