Speaker 1: I talked extensively about new rules that were just approved by the Public Utilities Commission. And if you think electricity is expensive now, just you wait, because it is about to get really, really expensive. And I'm very happy to announce that the House Republican Caucus.
Speaker 2: Has said enough is enough. They have sent a letter to.
Speaker 1: The PUC and I wish that I thought that would do anything, but maybe Assistant House Minority Leader Ty Winter will convince me that it will do something.
Speaker 2: Ty welcome back to the show.
Speaker 3: First of all, well, thanks for having me, and we hope you had a good Thanksgiving. And you know what a gift to get in December than this mess that's coming our way.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, I saw this yesterday. And don't get me wrong, we all know that Governor Jared Polis believes that this state can run on unicorn farts and sunshine, and he is determined to shove renewable energy down our throats, regardless of the fact that it's been shown.
Speaker 2: Around the world to call far more to run.
Speaker 1: On renewables than it does on abundant and cheap fossil fuels. But what exactly did you guys see in these rules that you found the most egregious.
Speaker 3: You know, for me, I'm going to speak from a Rule representative's perspective. Down here where we're at, there's times that you can get a blizzard out here on the eastern Plains and it'll knock power out for two or three days. I have an aging community down here, and to think that if they forced them to go to all electric appliances, and to think that Miss Jones can't heat her house. There's times that even the National Guard can't get to these people because there's snow, snow snowed in on these farms and ranches. So it's a safety thing, you know, for me first and foremost. I mean, don't get me wrong, I think it's an energy choice thing. I think, you know, natural gas is the way to go. I come from lost Animous County, other than Wild County is one, you know, one of the biggest producing counties for you know, COVID methane. But at the end of the day, it's a safety concern for me. In Rule Colorado, we need to be able to use propane, we need to have those type of appliances in our homes, and it's based off the safety choice. Next, But for me, it's safety.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean representative winters. I am.
Speaker 1: I have been looking and watching and I'm telling you that I think this is a huge part of what should be in the Republican messaging going into the next election cycle. And if you look around the world, and I'm I'm going to focus like a laser on Germany. Germany is the largest economy in the EU and they have been in recession or near recession for the past few years while everybody else around the world is recovering. And part of the reason is that they have gone to renewable energy. They've even gone so far as to shut down perfectly fine nuclear plants, and all they've done is accomplished two things. Number One, Germany's electricity rates are insane. They're the highest in the world for a developed nation. And they have destroyed the economy of Germany, absolutely gutted it. Because when your electricity rates are through the roof, who wants to bring their industry there? And that's for me, is the big talking point, like we we already know how this is going to go, and yet we are pursuing the same failed policies that have destroyed the economy of Germany and we're going to do that here in Colorado. So I would love for you guys to pick up that part of the messaging because that's when you get the business community engaged.
Speaker 3: Yes, ma'am, you're one hundred percent correct, and we saw something, especially over the last year. So I'm going into my fourth year in the building. But I've seen this problem grow, but I've seen the support against this problem grow. So we've been working with labor. I mean, labor's disgusted because they're seeing their good paying jobs. He shipped out of the state. And actually I was talking to one of the men that worked in labor and he's like, we are losing members to other states because first and foremost, we see like commands, see shutting down in Pueblo. We've seen what's happening Prague. That's a disaster. We've seen what's happened to oil and gas. Like I said, I'm from Los Anemos County. This's killed tons of jobs and killed the community. So it's killed and their agenda's killed jobs and killed communities. We've lost the severance tax revenue that we pump into our roads and schools, and not just him going on in gas communities. It's went around state wide, and now we're going to tell people that we're going to tell you how to heat your home. We're going to make you pay ten times more because of this Pie and the Sky idea that we have. Mandy, We've been beating this drum and we've been talking about this message quite a bit. We've had the business community come in to hearings and say, based on your clean air and agenda, we have people not only leaving this state that's business, but we have people that want to move into this state, that want to put chipbuilding factories and so many other things, but they don't know where the state's going to go. So they're not going to invest time, money, energy, and to bring employees into these states. So I've said it from the well numerous times. You may have your clean energy agenda, but wouldn't you think about back and off of it and get the state back on its feet. You brought up Europe. We have a president who wants to basically geopolitically shut Rush out of the world, and the reason he wants to do that is he wants to sell compress natural gas to European countries so they don't have to get their energy from Russia. We sit in one of the states, the best natural gas in the country, and we're totally missing the butter our workers, for safety, for our people, for tax dollars, and for being able to run the state, all based off of you're in America. We're buying solar panels that are made by coal plants in China. We're buying windmill parts that are made and then we're putting them up in America, and we'll feeling good about ourselves and really, we're not doing anything to save the planet. It's out of side, out of mind politics.
Speaker 1: You just made a perfect point right there when you said we're not doing anything to save the planet. And these are the kinds of questions that I would like to see the PUC address. Question number one, what exactly are these emissions controls going to How exactly is that going to impact worldwide global warming?
Speaker 2: I'd like to know the answer to that question.
Speaker 1: I'd like to know what exactly they believe they're going to be able to do when we're trying to wo things like AI and technology, when we're essentially saying we're not going to be able to supply you reliable energy right, because renewables are not reliable. So we're either going to have to back up all the renewable energy with oil and gas or nuclear or whatever, or we're going to have to say to industry, we can't. You can't come to Colorado and expect the energy to be there when you need it. The notion that somehow we are going to have this massive green economy has already been proven to be a lie. Why can't What does the puc as say about any of these questions?
Speaker 3: You know, to be honest with you, the governor appoints the puc and you brought it up in your opening. It's it's the agenda. And it goes back to we've asked for crazy a little grave studies. If you could tell me how many metric tons of coal it takes to create these things in the carbon footprint to get them here and get them set on the pads. If you can show those to me and they make sense, numbers wise to be able to kill our jobs, kill our economy, take away from our schools, then I'll have that conversation. But I don't think the numbers are there. I mean, you know, and I'm a huge nuclear proponent the three years that I've been there, I've worked on you know, three different nuclear bills, and I believe, I believe it well asked. I want to keep that going for our economy. We see where this is going. So we obviously have to set up because at the end of the day, if the lights ever go out, don't think that all the power gets pumped to the urban areas and my people are going to be left literally in the dark. So I want to make sure we have firm, reliable energy. But I can't live with the fact is is, you know, we're running this state based off the climate goals that aren't making a difference because at the end of the day, the products that they're buying to put into our state or just polluting another part of the world, or being mined by child slave labor in another part of the world. And it may feel good here, but it don't feel good to me when I know that we're polluting another part of the world. We're doing it on the backs of kids, and then we're doing it on the backs of our constituents who want to go to work in mind cold, they want to go to work, and they want to pump oil and gas they want to feed their families with good paying blue collar jobs, and they want to power the economy of this state. And we have a state government that decide to be run by the enviros, run by the envirol lobby, and they're in there making a mess of our state. And right now, with what we're seeing in the state, this isn't the time to be playing games with livelihoods and now literally people's lives when they can't either afford to heat their home. Mandy, A quarter of Coloradoans are already on heat assistance. You only cow into that number. This number is gonna fly. I mean, this number is going to go through the roof. So I mean, and there's been some studies done. I mean, I don't know exactly the pulling data, but over fifty percent of Colorados still want to be able to use natural gas heat. So I just think that this is one more, one more example of government being done to you, not for you. They're not listening to the voice of the people. And unfortunately, there's a lot of legislators in that building that think that they know better than you because they were elected by you. And that's totally not fun.
Speaker 1: We'll leave this interview with these statistics. I just pulled up right now. The average kill awat hour for electricity is about fourteen It's fourteen dollars and eighty four cents. In Germany it is oh, excuse me, kill a wat hour. No wait, fourteen cents per kilowat hour. In Germany it is forty four cents. So it is three times what we pay here. So if you were to power bills to go up three times, then we should just continue down this path. Assistant House Minority Leader ty Winter, I appreciate your time today.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Mandy. I appreciate you keep fighting the good fight. And you know what, this is a call to the House. Republicans need the people of Colorado to get behind them. What happens in that building is a simple numbers game. There's more of us in there or more of them in there than us, and we need to get this message out to the people of Colorado. And you're doing your part. We're going to keep doing our part, and we're just asking our constituents and the cavalry to talk to your friends and neighbors, let them know what's happening to our state and let them know the way we fix that is at the ballot box.
Speaker 2: All right, Thanks toy Winter. We'll talk to you again soon.
Speaker 3: Thank you.