Speaker 1: It's time for coffee and company. Fueled by Thornton's on Sports Talk seven.
Speaker 2: Nine day, Holy crap, I don't know who the hell we think when we.
Speaker 1: Are get off our show, idiot. The kids are crying or tray at. The coaches are screwing it up.
Speaker 3: Gold Play Inner Murals, Brother, Goldplay Inner Murals.
Speaker 1: They're supposed to be mature adults, but they're really not. Who's the kid here?
Speaker 3: Who's the kid here? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 1: Here's nick coffee?
Speaker 4: All right? I'm here. I hope that that makes you happy.
Speaker 5: I hope that you were able to focus and do what you need to do today, take care of you know what, what you gotta take care of. I hope the worry of me not being here because of Jerry duty didn't impact your day. Because I'm here and I still don't know if I'm going to be needed to serve as a jury. But I did not get dismissed. In fact, John, I uh, I I was. I mean, I walked in, couldn't find a place to park, by the way. A ton of people there, humongous pool of jurors that you know, potentially will be asked to be on a jury or maybe not being needed at all. But once they kind of talked us through called role, I did feel like I was in school again because they quite literally have everybody sitting around and they meant they say your juror number juror number four seventy two by the way, uh, and then they say your name and you have to say, here, I haven't done that, and I can't tell you how long, you know, probably since I mean, I don't even know they really even they didn't call role in high school, did they?
Speaker 1: Like, there were certain teachers that did.
Speaker 3: But I think the further we've gotten into, you know, with newer technology and stuff like that, the less necessary it is to do role like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think even like the technically, I don't know, I guess when you like, was role call something that was only done like when you start school, like the first of the year kind of stuff, because I guess, I don't know. When you're in elementary school you have like assigned seats, like where you sit at your desk, and then they just noticed that you're not there.
Speaker 4: But anyways, you know.
Speaker 5: They explained what the process was, and I needed to hear every word because I had no clue how any of this works now I know. And then they had they had you come up if you were not someone that was going to be disqualified because of like you slipped through the cracks, right they they called you, but you got a felony or that you you don't live actually in Bullet County and you like your address was still there. So like that was one of the things that was kind of weird, Like if you've moved but haven't changed your address legally, which a lot of people don't do that immediately.
Speaker 4: Some people wait to do it.
Speaker 5: Like there were people that actually no longer lived in Bullet County but knew that if if they didn't, you know, if they didn't show up, then there would be a summons for them. So they said, if you feel like you might need to be excused or you have like some people brought like letters from their employer that they're the sole provider and like, and they that's why they call so many people, because you know, eventually they'll, you know, they'll they'll they'll get out who can't do it or who doesn't qualify, and then they'll have you know, they'll still have enough people. So I've gotten that line. And I kind of felt like, man, I don't know what they're gonna say. I'm waiting to go see the judge. I've never seen a judge in my life before. But I'm waiting in line to walk up, and it's like the courtroom. It's not you know, it's not like it's in some office. It's you know, he's sitting there in whatever you call that thing, the approach, the stand or is it the bench, I don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: I almost call it the sanctuary.
Speaker 5: Yeah that's not so so anyways, I walk up there and I was like, I'm not sure if I if I'm disqualified or if this matters at all.
Speaker 4: But and man, there's no like I don't know why.
Speaker 5: But like it's always weird, like telling people what I do because maybe there's like a sliver of hope that they would think that's cool.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I used to like anytime I'm like, yeah, I'm a radio.
Speaker 5: Host, like I feel like I'm coming off as if like, yeah, I'm a big deal, and I never want that to be. I mean, hex before too long, people might say, you know, what's the radio? I mean you never know, Like technologylogy changes over time that kind of stuff. But anyways, I just said, I'm not sure if my position on my platform that I have you know, if if if if that's something that would that would make me not you know, make you make you not want to have me a part of this. But I just wanted to make that clear. And because my worry was that I would go through all of this, I would have like arrangements made, I would meaning like to where I couldn't be here or something, and then when I actually I would have to serve on the jury, they would find out and tell me, oh, yeah, you can't do this because so I just didn't know. But you know, the judge was pretty clear like yeah, I mean as long as as long as you know, as long as it's not going to like put you out, then you know, I don't And I was like, okay, well go sit down and I'll wait. So, uh, it's such a process and there's still a chance that like I may never actually go back, you know what I mean. Just you just don't know. But I learned a lot I can. I can certainly tell you that. And of the hundreds of us there, I think there were over two hundred people there. There were twelve that were called to be on the grand jury, and that is and again I'm I thought I knew what that was, and I was I think I was right, But like, these are people who are essentially deciding if someone is going to have like charges brought on them, right like they're gonna be indicted or whatever. And they did mention that's a little bit of a different process, and he said that you know this, there'll be you know, you will have a little bit more. We're gonna basically in some form of fashion, he kind of indicated they're gonna need you a little more than they're gonna needybody else. So I didn't want to be called for that, and I was not. And then as soon as those twelve people that were called for the grand jury left the courtroom to go with somebody who was employed at the courthouse to kind of, I guess, you know, explain a little further as far as what they're going to have to do, that he did say, yeah, now I can say it, that's probably what you don't want to do because that apparently that's like that's going to be an all day thing for everybody, like whenever, whenever that that happens. And there's a lot of criminal cases obviously that like don't go to trial because people you know, they take a plea and and you know there's no trial needed, no jury. So with the with with being on the grand jury, like that's that's that's like an everyday thing, right, Like the grand jury is going to decide are they gonna is somebody gonna be you know, held account of is somebody gonna be in trouble or not. So I was happy for for to not be a part of that. And now I just have to wait. I got to call a number and figure out if if I if my number is on the you know, I guess the list of.
Speaker 4: Those that are going to be needed.
Speaker 5: So I still really don't know how it's gonna impact me over the next h and by the way, it's for the next three months October, November, December. I am in this pool of people that could potentially be needed. Uh and uh, A lot of things don't end up going to trial, it sounds like. And the judge was pretty direct, and I'm glad he did say this that like there's there's often times where you think you're gonna have a jury trial and then sure enough, day of the plea is entered and there's not one needed. So I still don't know, uh, but I guess we guess you shall see.
Speaker 1: So how does is the grand jury thing completely random? Like could you could you have gone into that or do you have to have a certain qualification?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 5: No, it's of all the people that you know, of the two hundred, it's just a they literally, like, I mean, I don't know how they're going about it. They weren't like picking ping pong balls out of a bucket with numbers on them. But there was a there was some level of process where they were pulling numbers and if your number was called, then you then you went up there.
Speaker 1: Gosh, imagine if you were on the grand jury or something like that.
Speaker 5: And I don't know, if you know. I think he's being honest. He's a judge, he should be, but he did because they ask. And by the way, there was like eight dates that like, hey, these are dates that like you have to be these are dates that.
Speaker 4: Like we need to know are you going to be available or not?
Speaker 5: And every single one of them that he called said they're available and they're willing to serve. And he was very thankful because again, like you know, he was that was really cool experience to just see the process. But also I was very impressed with the judge, but he was thankful anybody who said yes. And I'm like, well, I mean, I guess it's nice that you're thinking them also, you know, like it's kind of their duty, right.
Speaker 4: But he did say after all.
Speaker 5: Of them ended up, it seated in where you would see sit as a jerry in a courtroom. He said he thinks that's the first time they've ever gone through twelve people and not a one of them said yeah, there's this date that date that I know that I can't do it. So then I kept worrying that like they're going to have half of them say no, they can't do it, and then it'll get to me. And I'm just going to tell you I would be scared to say no because like I kind of feel like eventually it would be impacting me, you know, professionally, to where like I would have a legitimate reason if I told them like, yeah, hey, if I can't do this, then like it's going to it's going to impact my job or whatever, not because my employer would be like holding it out against me and retaliating because I've left to go do Jerry duty.
Speaker 4: But like what we do is different, like it's weird.
Speaker 5: Like, for example, you know, a big part of how I make money to do this is clients and endorsements, and like, if I'm not here to do exactly that on this platform, that's a big part of my money that I wouldn't get. So you know, not to say that like that would actually end up happening. But if you know, you just never know. So we'll see. I will say this. I really felt like Bullet County was small town America because of the two hundred people I saw four people I went to school with that I have not seen probably since we were in school. Two of them I forgot existed, And I'm like, wait a second, I know that guy. I was in school with him for I think every every year we were in school my cousin's name was called, he wasn't there.
Speaker 4: He didn't show up.
Speaker 5: I think he was able to provide some type of proof that he could be excused, But like, what are the chances my cousin, who, by the way, didn't grow up in Bullet County but happened to move there later in life, and then I saw somebody who listen to the show. It was like, I thought I'd see you here, So it felt like such a small world. But then again, I'm thinking, you know, Bullet County like it's po dunk. I'm sure the way Jefferson County residents maybe maybe not all of them, and it is smaller than Jefferson County substantially. But I looked this up because I was just curious, John, and you're a Bullet County native yourself. Bullet County is a top ten county in the state as far as population.
Speaker 3: That does that surprise you? That would have surprised me maybe five or ten years ago. But with the amount of people who were moving out this way from Jefferson County, especially out where I live in Mount Washington, that's not as surprising.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why traffic sucks out there.
Speaker 5: So I got to take my daughter to gymnastics in Mount Washington this evening, and I just I'm gonna be prepared to sit in awful traffic and then ask myself, like, I get it, Mount Washington's a beautiful place, but like I quite I would absolutely factor in Mount Washington traffic when it comes to visiting there unless I had to moving there. Like it's I mean, you actually live in a spot where you don't really like you could avoid it because you could.
Speaker 3: Get like I'm like right on the edge of the Shepherdsville Mount Washington line.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so you can go forty four at certain times in not be impacted. But like we went from Shepherdsville to you know the other side of forty four, meaning where it's you know, past Barchtown Road. We left my son's football game last week it like I don't know, maybe twelve thirty and we were taking my daughter to her grandmother's house, which is just straight down forty four past Bullet East, and no accident, like nothing, no big event, but just like traffic that sucked. And you wouldn't usually think that you'd get traffic like that in rural a rural area. I mean, it's not like we're in the middle of nowhere. I mean, clearly there's a ton of stuff going on out there now, but like it, traffic's crazy. So I don't know, I guess more than anything, it's just because i've I mean i've been I've i haven't lived there my whole life, but I've been you know, I was born and raised in Bullet County. When I did leave the county to move elsewhere, it was just, you know, probably a couple of miles away from the county line. I was away at school for a little while. I lived with my parents who live out in out in Jaytown. So I don't know, I just felt it was like very very random, and you know, small world. You know, I'm thinking, well, hey, I guess it makes sense. I've been here my whole life. But like, there's eighty five thousand residents in Bullet County that surprised you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems like a pretty big number.
Speaker 5: So Jeffersy County is the biggest, and it's not even close. Seven hundred and seventy one thousand is the population as of twenty twenty four, according to World Population review dot com. Lexington the second biggest, but it's three hundred and twenty thousand, So think about the difference there, And then I would say, again, I don't know anything about these counties, but other counties in the top ten that surprised me. But again it's not because I mean, I was just surprised because I guess I didn't realize. Oh yeah, Campbell County, that's a big part of northern Kentucky. Boone County. So northern Kentucky's a big area as far as population, but the counties are kind of split.
Speaker 4: So like you've got Kenton, Boone, and Campbell.
Speaker 5: I think that those three represent that big area of northern Kentucky. But Warren County, Bowling Green that's it for Hardin County is really big. That's it's big geographically, Yes, that's right. In fact, I think it might be one of the biggest geographically. But it's also up there in population Davis County that's that's Owensboro area. And then Madison County is that like is that Hopkinsville Maybe, Like I don't know, Like, well said Madisonville, but yeah, Madison County. I've heard of it, but I don't know, like what big city that Richmond, So yeah, I guess yeah, Richmond, Yeah, right outside of Lexton there. So anyways, yeah, I don't Again, I wish I thought today would be the day, like, hey, here here's what you know. You're gonna either not be needed at all or you're gonna be needed, and this is the day. But I got to call a number on September the thirtieth, to see if I am if I'm needed. So there you go, and thank you to those that have reached out to kind of share their stories of you know, the Jerry Do Dooo process, and in most of the people who have like chimed in since I've mentioning this the last couple of days have said that, yeah, they went through this process only to never actually be needed. They weren't called to do anything. So we'll see. All right, well, let's get the show started. Show we fifteen minutes in and I've just been yapping about this Jerry duty situation. It is Coffee and Company. I'm sure you knew that. We are fueled by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety and we're going to take you up till six o'clock. We're going to talk to Alex kupper Cup's gon to join us to talk some Louisville football talk cards.
Speaker 4: And Notre Dame.
Speaker 5: We'll do that coming up at a three point thirty, and we'll also talk to doctor Larry Ben's in the four o'clock hours. So a couple of guys are going to join us, and there's certainly a lot to get into. We're getting closer and closer to the big game, and it is a big game. I mean, we were It's not like we play Notre Dame all the time. But this will be the third matchup between these schools. In fact, I'm sorry, this will be the fourth time these teams have played in the last five years, so you know, and then you won't play them again until twenty thirty two, think or it might be twenty thirty six.
Speaker 4: Maybe I don't. I mean I it's one of those dates.
Speaker 5: So anyways, a couple of joint us to talk about that A quick update for those that are interested. And I only, like, I know a lot of people don't care about betting on sports and I get it, and I'm not really doing this to like tell you what you should do when it comes to wagering, but I just think it's interesting to see those that are betting on this game what they're doing. And Sports Line does a good job of giving us, you know, an indication of how much you know, the percentage of those that are betting on Louisville or Notre Dame when it comes to the spread and the percentage and the money, the percentage in and you know what's going on in the money line as well. So you know, I'm not trying to position Louisville as some you know team that's being disrespected and doubted in a major way. But you know, Notre Dame lost in Northern Illinois. That loss has not aged well in any way. And Louisville, you know, they they haven't played anybody that is great. I think Georgia Tech's a solid team that will end up being you know that the rest of the way, and all of it did look great in that game. And you know, some and I was listening to some of these sports betting shows I listened to, and you know a lot of people are claiming Louisville, you know, their score little misleading, and I'm not sure if I'm sensitive to that, because maybe they're right. You don't usually see a team collect a special team's touchdown and a defensive touchdown in a game. And without those two big plays that Louisville made, you know, it could have been a different game. But it's also not as if, like, well, that was just pure luck. Georgia Tech deserved to win the game. Like if you have a pun or you have a you have a field goal blocked, Like that's not I mean like that that doesn't happen that often. But that's not like bad luck for for for for Georgia Tech. Same thing with that defensive touchdown. So anyways, I just don't know. I thought there'd be a little more picking Louisville to win the game. So only eight percent of the wagers that have been made on moneyline bets are on Louisville to win. So you know, despite Notre Dame having that bad loss at home and again, Notre Dame does have a win against Texas A and M that quite literally is better than any Louisville win up to this point, Like we know that.
Speaker 4: So I don't know.
Speaker 5: I just I'm confident in this Louisville team. I think they can go there and win. It's if we'd end up doing our postgame show on Saturday, and you know, it's it's it's not. It's not a victory, like I'm not going to be floored. It's not as if like it's going to be a stunner. But I think they've got the tools the personnel to go up there and win. I think they've got the edge when it comes to the coaching matchup, and you know, we shall see. I just felt like Notre Dame losing to Northern Illinois and then not really being impressive, not covering against Miami Ohio team, Like I just I kind of felt liked be a little more love for Louisville to go up there and win the damn game. But you know, we haven't got there yet. Maybe we hear that as we get closer to the matchup. Like the biggest story in college football today is, without a doubt, the quarterback at UNLV quitting on his team. Matthew Sluca has decided to quit, and we look, I'm saying quit because that's what he did, but I'm not at all saying he did something wrong. But this is the first player that has decided, Hey, yeah, the money is not here. I was told i'd be paid this and they've not done that. So I'm leaving. I'm going to bail and take a red shirt, which means I will obtain the final year of eligibility. I've been able to play three games, put some good film out there. He started his career at Holy Cross and he ended up transferring to NLV. Pick them because they were throwing some big money his way, at least he thought, and you know, that money never came, and he had he's been told that the money that he was I guess, assuming he'd get through conversations in the recruiting process, will not be there. So once he found out that, hey, yeah, the money you were told you were going to make, that's not happening, he decided, well, okay, then I'm going to leave, so I don't fault him. This is actually, in my opinion, the biggest piece of evidence if we needed it, and I'm not sure we needed it, by the way, but it is absolutely going to make it quite clear to anybody who was in doubt that this is not pro sports. This is pro sports. This guy took a job. He was said to be paid one hundred thousand dollars to take the job. He's not being paid for the job. Would you go to work if your money wasn't what you were told to be? I mean, no, you wouldn't. I mean, and if you did, be foolish. So you know, it's really it, he said, she said, And we'll get in We'll get into the specifics a little bit later on as far as everything that this guy is claiming this quarterback, Matthew Sluka everything he's claiming on his end, and then also the response from the collective at UNLV, the UNLV Athletic department, because it's a he said, she said situation right now, And here here's another reminder. Not not only does this that this is professional sports, but like this is all just make like make it up as you go and we'll see what happens. I mean, it's almost like dealing being like dealing drugs because there's no real rules in place. There's nobody to enforce it, like, you know, even like he didn't have a contract, by the way, and that's that's an issue. That's his agent's fault, I suppose. But even if he did at a contract, have a contract, I don't think this thing's gonna be ironclad. Like I feel like they could not pay you, and like just assume you would hire a lawyer and sue him.
Speaker 4: And you probably would.
Speaker 5: Like it's just such a you know, I hate using the cliche of the wild, wild West. I mean that is kind of what it is. But to me, it's like a drug dealer getting robbed or not getting the amount of or a drug perch, you know, somebody buying drugs and they paid a certain amount of money, but they didn't get the right, the right take right the actual drugs. It wasn't the amount that they paid for. What you can do, call the cops. No, you think they're gonna help you, Absolutely not. That's what happens. Like this is there's no there's no real rules and regulation and there's nobody actually enforcing it. So like you're sol if you're if you're this young man, and I'm sure he wanted to stick around. UNLV's good. They're three and zero, like they're just outside the top twenty five. They're viewed right now as a team that could potentially be in line for that G five spot in the playoff. But they don't have money to pay this guy and he he's leaving. So you know, I don't really know who's fully at faultier in fact, just from what I know right now. And we'll see, you know, we'll see if if, if we get more proof as far as what really happened. But there's a coach for UNLV, the OC. It sounds like who told this kid he'd make one hundred thousand dollars and that isn't happening. And also because nobody really knows what you are and aren't allowed to do as a coach. UNLV's going to come out and say that, you know, that's not true. No coach told him what money he'd make, because that's not we know, that's against the rules. So that's where it gets down to it, he said, she said thing, And I mean if anybody out there believes that no coach has any like knowledge or involvement in the actual money. Now again, they're not paying them themselves because why would they. It's money coming from a big booster within an IL deal or a big company that's willing to help, or the collective. But like coaches have to be like I don't it would be you know, as far as like how everybody's being taken care of. That's where you have kind of like a GM that works directly with your collective.
Speaker 4: But like, this is just a mess.
Speaker 5: And today was the first big reminder of that, I think since the season started and coaches that were doing teleconferences today for their conference or press conferences potentially. I don't know how many coaches do pressers on Wednesdays, but you know, I know Lane Kiffen in some former fashion talked about it. I'm sorry, not Lane Kiffin. It was Kirby Smart and Brian Kelly, who I believe were on the SEC Coaches teleconference. I think that's what they were doing, and they, you know, they essentially said what we all know, Yeah, this won't be the last, like I'm sure this is going to happen again. So it's a mess, and I really don't know the fix for it, to be honest with that. I think this is just the world we're in, and I think the NCAA does not have the resources to truly regulate this and police this. But it still falls on them for not in any way wanting to get out in front and trying their best to regulate and have a process, because what they've always done is to just tell people know you can't like they've they've been resistant to players getting money in any way forever, and they've been consistent with that for decades. And that's why they're now trying to get in, you know, get out in front and tell you what you can and can't do, only to then find out that actually, no Congress said you're not allowed to tell this school they can't do that, or keep them from doing this and that. So it's a mess, it really is, and that's not good.
Speaker 4: For the sport.
Speaker 5: But I don't really know for sure who it falls on. I'd say, though, if there's one person to point a finger at right now, it's the NAA for not realizing what they've been doing forever is just not sustainable. And sure enough it blew up in their face to where they were told you can't legally tell these student athletes they can't make money. All right, quick break, Alex Cupper's going to join us, coming up here on the other side, and we'll keep this thing rolling along, taking you up until six o'clock. It's coffee and Company fuel by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, coffee and Company. We are fueled by Thornton's. You knew that, I mean, I know you knew that. If you didn't, I mean now you do. But you know you knew already. You also know you should have already signed up to become a member of the Refreshing Awards program. If you haven't, because you could save money at the gas pump. Your life will be better. I can tell you my quality of life game changer for me. It's been many years, but life is still good because I'm a member of the Refreshing Awards program. So we certainly appreciate our friends over there. All right, let's talk some Louisville football with the one, the only mister Alex Kupper who joins us here on Sports Talk seven ninety cup. I'll start with this just straight up, do you ever get jealous about some of the big opponents that you see on the schedule for the cards that you didn't get a chance to play against. I know you played against a lot of really good teams and good players. NFL guys, Pittsburgh had some great teams. West Virginia, the Big East of course, was a solid league, but you know Florida State, Clemson, Notre Dame. Like, I mean, it's out of your control. You had a great career, but do you ever feel like, man, I wish I could have gone to South Bend and.
Speaker 6: Played absolutely So that's why that's why I'm going up to watch them this weekend to take it all in. Before I've been when I was a miss God, probably ten or so, I remember going up to catching a game, so it's yeah, I have been been a while, but you know, it is it is something like you put. I mean, obviously one of the most famous movies is based out of it, so it's like it is like a movie. When you go up there, you feel like you're just in literally football town. So it's pretty sweet. That's what I remember.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it sounds like there's gonna be a good chunk of Louisville fans that make their way up there and it there.
Speaker 4: I don't know how many.
Speaker 5: I'm sure there are plenty of stadiums where people say, well, you know, it was a great experience, you know, if you get a chance to go. But I feel like Notre Dame's rare to where, like you you probably see people making a trip at some point if they're big college football fans, that may not even be a game that features their team.
Speaker 4: Like I just think Notre Dame.
Speaker 5: And again, I don't want to gas them up too much and make them feel, you know, even more air because they're ergant for sure. But like it's it's it's a really really cool place. I've actually not been there for a football game. I went for a basketball game, and just the campus and the vibe, it's it's certainly an awesome experience. So I'm uh, I'm a little envious. I'm not gonna be able to make the trip, but I know you're gonna You're gonna represent Cardination well up there, and uh hopefully they bring back a victory before we get to the Irish though. Uh, Georgia Tech game, what stood out to you? Obviously, you know, not a clean game for the Cards. I think Georgia Tech does a pretty good job of making it clear that making making it to where teams can't play clean football. But just some takeaways from from Louisville's first win against ACC competition.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean, I think it was nice to see uh, you know, up and up the level of competition, the size and the speed that Georgia Tech had. I mean, Haines King is actually a really good precursor to what they're going to see this weekend with Kylie Leonard and and the ability we had to make the make those run fit adjustments and how we played how we played them defensively in the second half. I think I thought it was excellent, you know, seeing whenever you see your defense and special teams score two touchdowns for you, that is that is a really Banner Day. So I mean you and I say all that, and I don't really feel like the offense played that bad. I mean I can't. I can't think of multiple three and outs or or multiple times where we weren't able to at least get something going offensively. There's a lot of penalties that kind of stymied us, but yeah, there was there's big plays to be had out there, and we made a ton of them. So I think overall, you know, you know, performance wise, all three phases, uh all, they didn't play great. They're still still better football to play, but they played solid, and that's what you do when you get a twelve point win against a conference opponent.
Speaker 5: So the run game never really never really got going. And I know they're missing Maurice Turner, and I don't even think that that that the the running backs. I can't think of the guy's name of transfer from Miami goodness, gracious, Donald Cheney. I mean, I don't even think he's fully healthy. I know he dealt with something in one of the first couple of games, but you know, was that something was that? Do you think that was just you know, a good a good job by Georgia Tech from limiting it was it. I mean, I'm just curious as to why you thought maybe. I mean, neither team honestly got running much at all. In fact, Haines King was the one guy who was able to break free for a for a couple of big plays. But offensive line. Again, there's new pieces here on the trend from the transfer portal. I know, when we talked before the season started, you know, you mentioned losing some guys that they they really really leaned on last year. Just you know, I'm not asking you to tell me if you're worried about the old line or not, but just you know, I'm because the run game is going to need to get going at some point.
Speaker 6: No agreed. And I mean it's again that step up in physicality. That's probably the first the first group that really felt it just because of the you know, the differences between a D one, a D one front seven versus or you know, a power five front seven versus you know, maybe a group of five or a one double a school. So those you know, you really feel that physicality and that size and that speed. So again another good precursor to what they're going to face this week, which is in a very stout front seven probably one of the better ones in the country if we're being honest in Notre Dame. So yeah, I think you know, you got options along the front, but you definitely need to figure out, you know, a solid right side of the line. You know, not not going to put anybody, you know, throw anybody out there. But it's just there was there was some leakage and some times where it's like, man, you got we gotta gotta buckle it down. And you know, again, I think that group didn't play it's best ball, But there's there's good enough football in there to to piece together a really good front that can battle battle the the Irish this weekend and then everybody else left on our schedule.
Speaker 5: So I don't know if it's I don't know if it's fair to say that Notre Dame is a team that's that's tough to figure out. But they won on the road at Texas A and M, which at this point still looks like a pretty good win for them, and then they lost to Northern Illinois, a loss that has aged poorly for them. They beat the hell out of Purdue and then kind of a whole hume effort against Miami of Ohio only scored twenty eight points in that game. Riley Leonard, their quarterback who transferred in, just has one touchdown pass on the season. What do you what do you make of this Notre Dame team? We never we never expect them to not have the pieces. They're always going to recruit at a high level and they're going to do well in the portal, just like all the other big time programs. But just what we're what what worries you most about this Notre Dame team in this matchup?
Speaker 6: I think just how I mean really what we what we spoke about the physicality that they can bring and and really inflict they're there. They do not as you mentioned, they do not want to see this thing go up and down. They don't want to see big plays where they're where they're you know, even on their on their own offense, you know, quick quick drives where their defense is having to grind out series and and really wear itself down, because I don't think they're they have the firepower to do that, so they they definitely want to make it ugly, ugly or I would say they want to try and turn you over so that they can gain some possessions because they need every single one they can get clearly offensively. So yeah, they're they're going to try and uh not make it as you know, a show stopping affair, but you know it. I think from a from a going on the road perspective, that's that's kind of plays into you know, you don't have to be too you don't have to gamble too much, as they say, and you can kind of let the game progress as long as long as you start fast and you can get ahead of them. That's that's going to be the ticket, honestly, is if you're if you're making them play from behind. Uh, Northern Illinois kind of put them in that predicament where they were like, man, we're not you know, we're not out of this game, but we're not winning it. So we got to you know, step up and try and uh make plays that we're not comfortable enough making. So that's that's where you want to get to when you're playing a team on the road.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think in that in that Northern Illinois game, it was it was was right there for.
Speaker 4: Them the whole time.
Speaker 5: But because of the pace and just the style, Notre Dame was never really able to make a big play and swing the momentum and uh and Iu was able to hold on and win it. I mean, Twitter and thirty eight rushing yards per game for Notre Dame on the ground and numbers can be a little misleading when you only have four games to go off of, but it's still something. I mean, I would you say that's probably one of the top keys for coach brom and his staff is to just try to not let them run the clock and just get that run game going. Easier said than done. They've been They've done a good job at it so far this year.
Speaker 6: Oh absolutely. If you're if you're gonna have somebody beat, it's got to be Riley Leonard. I mean period. If if he if you walk out of that stadium on Saturday and Riley Leonard, you know, makes an unbelievable performance where he's throwing the ball and you know, like he's the guy that did it, then it's like, Okay, tip your hat, good player. They went and got him for a reason. But I mean, I've put my odds on on if that's the case, and they're he's having to make majority of the plays. You know, we've we've had a lot of success playing against them, so we should we should have a little familiarity on what he likes, what he likes in the in the past game, and then you know what kind of tendencies he has when things break down and how he likes to scramble. So hopefully, hopefully we got a good book on him.
Speaker 5: It felt like last year it was Sam Hartman against Notre Dame. That that Jeff I mean, and obviously his entire staff, not just him alone. But they were going to try to make Sam Hartman make all the big plays, and he had some big numbers and it looked good. But man, they saw something they could throw out there that that rattled him. That was a I mean, he came back in a different jersey, but the same result for Sam Hartman where he probably never wants to come back to Louisville again. But speaking of quarterbacks, Tyler Shuck, obviously he's been pretty good all year. First game we saw him against you know, legitimate competition. You still feel pretty good about who we have under center?
Speaker 6: I do, yes, I mean, if if anything stock rising, yeah, you know, just I mean, it's the poise. I'm sure you've heard. Yeah, I'm sure You've heard everyone say it just gotta stay healthy kind of thing, which is a no brainer obviously. But yeah, I think the poise apparently you know, I talked you know, a couple of staffers and that Chris Bell touchdown was not that was not a call from the sideline. That was a call from number nine. He made it.
Speaker 4: I like hearing that.
Speaker 6: Made route adjustment keyed in. It was something that they I mean, they didn't really rep He just understood what they were trying to do to him, and he he knew you know what receiver had to run away from run away from the uh from the pressure, and get in space. And that was Chris Bell. So that was, Yeah, I was learning that because I don't think I didn't know that. I mean obviously you wouldn't know that, but uh, knowing that, and then some of the throws he made, that one where Jacorey was able to do a three sixty inst I mean that ball it can't be under you know, underspoken how well and how much air you have to put under the ball that's exactly where to be held up, held up. Knows he's getting the flag because everybody sees the but and he's still able to spin around and oh my gosh, there's a ball here, I'm gonna catch it. Like that's that is That is a very very well from football. That's yeah.
Speaker 5: I was gonna say, it's a guy who played on the offensive side of the ball and he played for a really really good played with a really really good quarterback. Can the rest of the offense feed off of a guy it really is out there, I mean not necessarily just making plays, but you know, having the confidence and the belief in himself to make the switch there and find Chris Bell. I just feel like, is a guy who's out there with the offense that's got to energize you. And if you're feeling good about the guy who's under center calling the shots, leading the offense, I mean, that's that's best case scenario.
Speaker 6: Oh absolutely. And if you and if you do, and they will get into tight spots where they're they're you know, they're up against it. They got there going up against the defense. Might be this weekend where you know they just got our number, can't get anything going. I mean you can find one on one coverage. There's one on one coverage every single weekend, every series, and we have guys like Brooks and like Bell and then hopefully calling they say where you. You know, all you got to do is get them in that one on one matchup and your guy can make a throw like that, you know it's in there yet. That should give you all the comfidences in the world that you're only one play away from getting back on schedule. Getting big drives started putting points on the board and flipping the entire you know, game on its head. So yes, that does. That does wonders when you have a guy in your center like that.
Speaker 5: All right, last one for you when you hate you when you make your way up to to South Bend. Are you going with the boys? You going with your your little ones in the family. Is it a family trip or just you know, I'm trying to live through you on this trip.
Speaker 6: Cup there. I'll send you lots of pictures and videos. Yeah. Actually it's a little bit of both. Mark, my good buddy has kids around the same age, so we're we're doing family and friends.
Speaker 4: Oh that's awesome.
Speaker 6: I have a big and I know a lot of other folks that go in as well. So hopefully we can bring the energy, you know, turn the place read and U take home with victory.
Speaker 5: Good stuff, safe travels, have a good time, and I'm confident the Cards are going to be bringing the victory back.
Speaker 4: So enjoy yourself. Cup, appreciate you, brother.
Speaker 5: I see man, all right, that's Alex Cupper, former little of Card and I'll always appreciate his insight. Good stuff there. Yeah, I'm jealous. I had well, I don't have a car, I couldn't go. I wanted to, to be honest with you, so I was gonna. It just did make sense to go up there with the postgame show and whatnot and pregame show and just you know, I've been in Notre Dame and you know it's a cool experience, and I am jealous of people going. It just didn't make a whole lot of sense for me. But I'm I know the Notre Dame mentioned that they were sending tickets back to be sold, because I'm sorry UFL had sent tickets back for Notre Dame to sell. But I mean, I still think you're going to see a lot of fans there. I mean I feel like like one in every three Louisville fan I talked to is like, yeah, we're going, and we've been planning on going for you know, months now, So all right, quick break, we'll come back on the other side, wrap up the three o'clock hour. It's coffee and Company Fuel by Thornton's right here on Sports Talk seven ninety. That's right, it's coffee and Company Fuel by Thornton's here on Sports Talk seven ninety. Thanks for hanging out with us here on a gloomy Wednesday afternoon. Let me talk to you guys about my friends over at the Jefferson Animal Hospital. I know nobody plans for emergencies, right, I mean, who would do that doesn't make any sense. But if you do happen to have an emergency with your pet, I can tell you what you need to do. You need to reach out to the Jefferson Animal Hospital over on outer Loop. They will, they'll, I mean, there's a lot of things they can do for you. But this cannot be something that others do in their line of work. I mean, I would say competitors. I don't think they have any competition, to be honest with. They've been around for forty four years, since nineteen eighty to be exact, and they're open twenty four hours a day. That's what I feel like is super rare. On Christmas. They've got a doctor on staff any day, any night, any shift. Jefferson Animal Hospitals dedicated doctors have the staff that is there to help you when your pets have an emergency. And it could be scary, and you know, you may not know what to do, but I'm telling you reach out to the Jefferson in the hospital bring your pet in. But it doesn't have to be an emergency. It could be just an appointment. Maybe you want to get something checked out. Maybe you just feel like, hey, I've never even thought about taking, you know, my pet to get looked at or to get checked on. So they've got appointment you could make. Don't have to be an emergency. But again, when emergencies do happen, they're therefore you open twenty four hours. Again, it's Jefferson in the hospital on outer loop. You can call Fiboo two nine hundred pets, or you can visit Jefferson Vets dot com. All right, so we are wrapping up the three o'clock hour, and we got a lot more to get into. But I found out today that I was not excused from Jerry duty. But I still don't really know if I'm gonna have to actually do anything, like I got to call a number every now and then and see if my juror number is included, and if so, then I got to show up. So I thought, again, I had no clue how.
Speaker 4: Any of this worked.
Speaker 5: But we've got somebody here in studio with us, mister iHeart extraordinary guy who does a little bit of everything. He's a jack of all trades and he has You've been a part of a jerry before. Right, Yes, let me make sure I got your mic on here?
Speaker 6: Can you hear me?
Speaker 4: Yes, sir, I can hear myself.
Speaker 1: There you go?
Speaker 4: All right, We're good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I have.
Speaker 2: And I heard this yesterday because I was catching up listening to podcast. It's it's been a hectic week trying to get ready for this festival again.
Speaker 5: You do you literally you have like eight jobs within this company, So I get it.
Speaker 2: Yes, So it wasn't even and I'm just confused about how the whole, the whole Kentucky thing goes because you said he had an orientation, right, yeah, right, So like they weren't choosing you in this orientation.
Speaker 5: So I showed up one of two hundred people and they called roll and it was everybody there, and after that they explained the process to where really today was the day where you could go in front of the judge and either give a note saying that you clearly are excused you can't do it, or you could say why you might not be able to do it, or maybe why they wouldn't want you to do it, and then they just explained, you know, and they selected a grand jury among all of us, and I was not one of those that was selected for the grand jury, which I was happy about because that actually does take a lot of time. So, you know, from now until the end of December, so the next three months, I'm part of a jury pool and I will have to on certain dates call and check to see if I'm somebody that's been selected. So and what you know, again, this is all new to me. But there's a lot of times that like they have cases that they think is going to end up needing a jury trial, but at the last minute, sometimes day of it doesn't need that's not needed because somebody has a play or something.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, that's when I did it. And this was back in Arizona. I wasn't even eighteen for like three weeks before I get the jury summons and back then, or maybe it was just then. Maybe it varies from different states, but I was just told, you're going to go in and sit in this room and basically you just have to do it one day and if you don't get called, then you're excluded until whenever the hell that they need you again. I wasn't there for five minutes and I got called. Immediately, I brought out my laptop. I'm just going to try to kill some time. And then I got called in me and like forty other people and then we went into this room and then they like started breaking down. The judge asked, you do you know any of these people part of the case.
Speaker 6: Do you know.
Speaker 2: About like this store that's a part of or whatnot? And then where do you work? And I guess I was working at Chuck E Cheese at the time, So I was just your average ordinary eighteen year old kid, and I played a pivotal part in this guy being basically let off the hook because it was it was like a week of doing it and everyone was just deliberating. It got to that Friday and then then judge said, if you guys don't find anything, we're gonna have to come back Monday. And in these when you're deliberating, it has to be incomprehension and inconclusive, one hundred percent, like there was no one wavering. And then we were all just kind of halfway there, and I just stood up and I'm ready to get out of there. I said, guys, you heard the judge, right, he said, if we don't come up with something today, we're gonna have to come in Monday.
Speaker 4: And you're the eight. You're the kid.
Speaker 1: You're the kid.
Speaker 2: And they wanted to try to make me the foreman of the group, and I'm like, no, I can't do that. So we go up there and then we just found this guy basically not guilty, where he read off all his charges.
Speaker 1: It's pretty a.
Speaker 2: Harrowing experience, just a weekend start, right, yeah, just to get the weekend story. I'm trying to get back to the chuck, you know. And then like it's pretty harrowing, you like kind of when you're reading the guy that's sentencing, if he's free or not, like he was kind of mouthing us thank you, and then his his his family's crying, he's crying, this guy's just basically let free, right, and.
Speaker 5: You're eighteen years old, probably not even really able to comprehend what's actually going on, right, Like it probably years like hearing me talk about it probably took you back to that right where we're like, yeah, this is kind of crazy for an eighteen year old kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was absolutely wild, andy, And you got like throughout the whole witnesses coming up. You got people crying and there this is an armed robbery case where you know people are using firearms, so you have people that are like sitting there like crying and pointing out that's the man I know that had a gun at me and blah blahlah, and then he had other things that just kind of didn't add up.
Speaker 4: So I just said heavy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was pretty heavy.
Speaker 2: And so we found this guy, long and short of it, found him not guilty, and then we're just all sitting there. At the end of the whole thing, he gets a walk free and I was like one of the last ones to leave on the elevator, and that's when the prosecutor, the state prosecutor, came out and he said, well, it's good that we got the same guy on the same charge at a different one across town because you guys didn't do your damn job. And he just went down the elevator. He said that as the doors were closing, and uh, yeah, it's pretty fun.
Speaker 5: I'm quite sure you're gonna have You're gonna have a better jury story than I ever will.
Speaker 1: Pretty fun.
Speaker 4: It's fun stuff.
Speaker 2: If you've never done it, h'its your civic duty.
Speaker 4: Well appreciate you sharing that. Again.
Speaker 5: I feel like I'm not gonna have anything that cool. I mean, that's a lot.
Speaker 6: All right.
Speaker 4: We got to run four o'clock hours next.
Speaker 5: Right here, it's four stock seven ninety