Speaker 1: This show is produced and hosted by Mark Webber. The show is sponsored by G three of Paro. If he is expressed in the following program are those of the sponsor and not necessarily the opinion of seven ten wor or iHeartMedia. Who is Mark Weber. He's a self made business executive here to help you find your success from the New York City projects to the Avenue Montaigne in Paris. His global success story in the luxury world of fashion is inspirational. He's gone from clerk to CEO twice. Mark is classic proof that the American dream is alive and well, here's your host of Always in Fashion, Mark Weber.
Speaker 2: Mark Weber, as my hair turns gray in fact of life a kick consolation that it comes with wisdom. I'm not complaining. I have a full, serious, full head of hair. Go on Instagram Always in Fashion you'll see. But there's no question that wisdom. You get a chance to go far wiser and at the same time look back on what you've done and consider what you would have done differently. Now I don't believe and would have, could have and should haves. What's done is done. You could learn from what you did right or you learn from what you did wrong. In life and business, we make choices. Some things would be nice to do, others you should do, and then there are things you must do. Example, in life, you decide to play pickaball, be nice to buy those new pickuball sneakers you saw, or I must buy them to match my outfit or protect my ankles. Those are choices. That's a silly example because you don't have to do any of them. Well, you could do all of them. You don't need an excuse. In business, it would be nice to add dollars to my marketing budget, make me feel like I'm doing the right thing. Or should I add dollars to my advertising budget? Or I must add advertising dollars because I'm launching a new product and I must get the message out there. Reminds me of one of my favorite By the way, maybe some of you've heard it. Building a brand without advertising is like kissing a girl in the dark. You know what you're doing, but nobody else does. Back on point, you don't get to do doovers. Once it's done, it's done. You can take corrective actions, even make apologies for your mistakes, or most importantly, you get to learn and improve. It's a reboot, you reset yourself. I've been thinking about myself. Lots of time on my hands, lots of walking, playing at summer. I'm enjoying and reflecting. I like being Mark Weber, but it doesn't take away from the fact that I know I'm an acquired taste. I'm selective, reclusive, I have issues with humans that often leads me to be short on patience, and I live life without a filter. I say what I want, when I want, how I want. Worst of all, I think i'm funny or even clever, and I know whenever I think I'm funny, I'm getting into trouble. And I've had lots of trouble these last few weeks. I'm a master of unsolicited advice, telling people what I think about the way they look, the way they dress, the way they do things without them asking me. Who's Mark Weber? The show asked up front. Like everyone, I have many sides, father, business and friend to a few curious scholarly, I'm an observer and a commentator. All told, this filterless guy, this funny guy, unfortunately, may have offended some people inadvertently, and tonight I'm rebooting you know what. Before I get started, let me bring in someone who I have not inadvertently said anything wrong about, at least I don't think my lawyer, my co host, and my son, Jesse Weber. Hey, Jesse, how you you're right? You're right.
Speaker 3: You never inadvertently insulted me. You do it directly to my face. There's a difference. There's a difference in you intentionally you let me know that you're making fun of me.
Speaker 2: I've had two instances I want to call out. The first instance involves me showing it up and awards them and working the crowd. They are a group of guys, all powerful, important, one whom I really like and admire. I'd like to think of him as a business friend. He's tall, fit, good looking, smart. We start to shoot the breeze and I look down at his shoes. Now, I'm a believer that after you look at someone in their eyes, you know everything. Are they having a good night, are they happy to see you? Are they glad to be there? And then look down at their shoes. I believe shoes say more about a person than anything else. Shoes are the window to your soul. Told you I'm a clever guy, Anyway, I look down and this guy is I admire, is wearing those shoes, those Swede shoes with the white soles. I hate them. They're a disconnect. The white soul is an eye sore. Worst. This guy is wearing them with a suit, and I can't help myself. And I look at him and say, hey, are you a sheep? You don't know what I was talking about. He didn't get I said, you a freaking sheep? Again, what are you talking about, monk? I told them he was a sheep wearing those shoes. Everybody in America is wearing those shoes, the ugliest could be. They bother me because that white soul stands out. It's annoying me. I know you hate them, Jesse.
Speaker 3: I despise them. I despise them. I don't think they look good with jeans. I don't think that they look good with a suit. And the fact that they become so popular, so popular, is.
Speaker 2: Very very concerning.
Speaker 3: That is a very bad fashion epidemic going on.
Speaker 2: Oh good word, your brother's doing it. And I give him crap all the time.
Speaker 3: I've said before, Jared's the best dressed guy I've ever met. And the fact that he has advanced into that kind of shoes. It feels like something that he would never wear, but he likes.
Speaker 2: Them worse when you wear them with a suit, It's like, I don't know, I think people are making fun of each other anyway, it make matters worse. I keep piling on and I say, you look like a refugee from Poland, with all due respect for Poland, what happened to you? You sheep? You follow up? How can you wear those shoes? Let alone with his suit? Now, looking back, I don't think he appreciated my commentary when I thought about it afterward.
Speaker 3: What would make you think that? Yeah, because someone's like, oh Mark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well we saw him at a golf tournament and he wasn't his friendly self. So hey guy, if you're listening tonight, allow me to reboot. I thought I was funny. I didn't mean to embarrass you. If I did, I'm truly sorry. But it's a terrible look and never mind. Then there was another example with one of my closest friends, who I still have as a close friend. This guy has great style. He's classic, very different from mine. He's always put together so well. His life is based on khakis v nex sweaters, woven shirts, loafers, kind of collegiate. But he's more modern and collegiate. And he shows up wearing those fabric Nike sneakers with no shape, no style, no class in blue matching his outfit. His shoes look like doufish shoes. I say nothing. Why you ask why? I didn't say anything. I was too busy commenting on his hair. Now, this guy has hair. Let alone, great salt and pepper hair. He has hair, and he buzz cutted it right to his scalp. And I looked at him when he took over his side and said, what are you crazy? What are you doing? You're gifted with hair and you shave it down to his scalp to look what current modern? No, it's not, it's insane. I'm looking at him, the guy who has hair cuts it all off. I can't believe what I was looking at. And then the shoes.
Speaker 3: Talk about the hair, I thought he looked great. You know that hairstyle might not fit you. It fit him perfectly, and he was tan. You gave him too much of a hard time about that.
Speaker 2: Once again, I'm gonna do a reboot. He didn't ask my opinion. I gave unsolicited advice. My filter was nonexistent. I thought I was funny. I have a feeling I wasn't from his perspective anyway. I was so happy to see him. Sorry, I thought I was funny. But nonetheless, the message for you guys out there, stay true to yourself. Fashion comes and goes styles forever since Saint Lauran. Yet I know Thomas Jefferson said in matters of style, swim in the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock. But in this case, I'm gonna go with Eve Ovi Jefferson. Now, Jesse, what happened with you? And why I need to apologize.
Speaker 3: Usually when you make these comments, people brush them off, they say, oh, it's just Mark, They laugh it off. You really ticked them off. No, he wasn't angry at you, but he was insulted. He goes for the shoes, my hair, what's going on? He was upset and I rightfully, so you haven't seen the guy and how long? And this is what you do? And you're like, I'm trying to be funny. I'm funny, not that funny.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm an acquire taste, I admit, And this is how I lose more friends than I have. So I am apologizing to both those two guys tonight and particularly because tonight's show I'm gonna call reboot. We're gonna reboot a bunch of things. Now before I go, I wanted to ask you, Jesse, has Trump rebooted at all?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 2: Last week I played the commercial he ran. Commercial he ran was with Ronald Reagan when Ronald Reagan gave a speech, and basically the theme of the speech he was, are you better off four years later than you were four years earlier? And he was talking about the Carter administration, which is a disaster, And by Trump playing that, he basically said the Democrats, Biden Harris, We're not better off by you being our leaders. And I thought it was great, and I thought he might smooth it out and talk about important things. Has he or has he not?
Speaker 3: He's his own worst enemy. Can't get out of the way. He he has to pick these petty fights, these details that just don't matter. He's focusing on the wrong things. With Kamala Harrison, Tim Wallas, I will tell you somebody on News Nation, the network I'm a part of, had a really good comment. The comment was that if you put policy versus policy, Donald Trump wins. The American people will probably vote for him. If you do a personality contest, which is what this has been focused on. Donald Trump loses and he doesn't realize it or he doesn't care, and I think that's his own worst enemy. And I'm sure people try to tell him this, but he just doesn't listen and he can't be controlled, and if he loses the election, it will be his own fault.
Speaker 2: Well, it's interesting you say that because you weren't on the show last week, and I said exactly what you said. It's a popularity contest right now. And I said to them, you know, I'm in favor of Trump if you put policies together. His policies made a lot of sense and made the country great again. Been Democratic Party what they've done the last four years. I don't agree with the policy the too hard left, and Kamala Harris has to accept some of the responsibility at least with the border, if nothing else. She was there, she was always supporting Biden, never admitting he had a problem until now and then they did a coup on him. But the bottom line is policy to policy, and I agreed with you and that's what I said.
Speaker 3: Look, I think the debate is going to be very very important.
Speaker 2: That debate.
Speaker 3: As much as the debate between Biden and Trump shook up the entire political world, there is a chance this one could do the same thing. It'll be interesting to see how Donald Trump attacks Kamala Harris. She's not Hillary Clinton. It's a little bit of a different target. He's in a different position. And how she defends herself somebody who's not great off the cuff. That's going to be a challenge for her. But I think that's going to say a lot. I will tell you. I have to say, I was talking about this too the other day. You talked about the coup. Don't you find it kind of rich that President Biden said, nothing's going to keep me out of the race, nothing but some heavenly act. Is that heavenly act? Lancy Pelosi? Is she the heavenly angel that caught him out of the race. I just feel like it's such a prime example if you can't trust politicians when they say anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I find it so sad. And the signals we send and it is a popularity contest, and on and on and on. But I'll tell you what I've said it. I'm a Trump guy for his policies. However, if Kamala Harris wins, she's my president, I will support her and I wish you the best. I want the country to be successful, but I have my doubts about where we're going as a country, and I do believe we need a major reboot. On tonight's show, which I'm calling a reboot, take a break back in a moment. Always in fashion, As one of the world's most celebrated fashion designers, Carl Lagerfeld was renowned for his aspirational and cutting edge approach to style. His unique vision of Parisian shit comes to America through Carl Carlagafel Paris. He has women's collections, men's collections, ready to wear, accessory, shoes and bags. The fashion house Carlagofeld also offers a range of watches I wear in premium fragrances. You can explore the car Lagophil collection at car Lagofelparis dot com. But it's more than that. I, for one, love to shop. I love going around and seeing what's happening and what catches my attention, what would make me feel good to wear Now. I don't wear the women's wear obviously, but I can appreciate it and they look amazing. If you want to look right, you want to have clothes that fits you well. You want to look like you're wearing something that's very expensive, that's exclusive for you and yours. You can find it at very affordable prices at Macy's Orcarlagofel dot com Paris. The women's ready to wear fashion is extraordinary, as well as the handbags and the shoes. I for one wear men's clothes, unlike my appreciation of women's clothes. I'm a modern guy. I want to look current, I want to look the way I want to feel go out at night. I'm in black and Carl Lagafel is my buddy. Carls are great, They fit great, and they have little tweaks and touches, whether it's a stripe on the sleeve or button at the neck or on the shoulder. There's a lot of details that go into Carlagafel because he's always been, he always had been, one of the world's great designers, and this legacy and goes on and on. I can't speak enough about it except to say to you, you want to feel good about yourself. You want to know that you're dressing properly. You want to clothes that fits you well. Carl Lagafeld Paris at Macy's Orcar Lagafel dot com. A favorite brand has always been ISOD. My company at one time bought that brand. The CEO of the company handed it to me and said, you better make it work. And I put everything in my career to make Isaod work and I fell in love with that brand, and to this day it is one of the most exciting endeavors I've ever got involved with. Isod is an incredibly strong golf brand. If you play golf, if you play tennis for that matter. They make a great polo shirts. I mean great. They're fit perfect. The material is unique because it's a PK fabric that waffle weave, you see, and it's made of a blend of cotton and microfiber that allows you to stretch. And very often they are treated with solar protection as well, so they stretch, they're comfortable, and they breathe well. And one thing about ISAC they always fit. They'll never tug on you. You put it in your waist, they'll fit you great. The colors, patterns are sensational. Now I will also tell you Isaac makes great shorts and great golf pants. You're a golfer and you want to look good. You don't have to think about how do I look. You want to think about how you play, not how you feel. Isaad is the brand for you. I know I was there when it was created. The strategy behind that brand is brilliant. It's one of my favorite brands. While I talk about it, I tell you about the men's sportswear. ISOD wasn't enough being a golf brand. It wasn't enough being just great polo shirts with logos, without logos, incredible branded story and history. ISOD makes salt weather programs. They have great printed, woven shirts, short sleeves that look excellent with colors, excellent with shorts, excellent with cotton pants, of which they also make. This whole salt order relaxed line from is whether it be fleece, cotton sweaters, knit polos, woven shirts and pants of a range of colors and fabrics that are perfect for a guy wants to go casually in the spring and summer of this year. And here's the thing. ISOD is affordable. Everyone listening to me talk about this brand can afford to buy it and know that there are a lot of other brands that also have a look like Although I don't believe it's fun as EYESID is, the brand has a lot of energy in it, but at the price points no one can compete. You can find Isaac at You're leading retailers and online at isid dot com. Talk to you later, guys. I wish you. I'm very happy springing summer, and I help you by telling you if you were isaid, you're going to look great.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to it, always in fashion. Here's your host, Mark webber.
Speaker 2: Tonight, I want to talk about rebooting, rebooting me. I know I am self evaluating myself, and I have a lot of time on my hands. I'm joining this summer, I'm hanging out and I'm thinking about those things I do well and those things that I don't do well, mistakes I've made, How I make up for them what I do going forward. But I want to talk a little business now. I want to talk some business. And I remember a quote that resonated with me by George Bernard Shaw when he said, the only person who behaves sensibly is my tailor. He takes new measurements every time he sees me. All the rest go on with their old managements. It's interesting to remeasure yourself, to think about who you are, what you're doing, et cetera. I constantly remeasure myself the good, the bad, and the ugly. While I say I'm an acquired taste that I know those things that people might not like about me, I do them with a very measured point of view. It's not a surprise how I behave and may be a surprise to others, but I do look very closely what I do. Then I reboot and reinvent me. Now I've been, like many of you, a waster of time. My time and the people who are surrounded with me, the people I work with. When I was a boss, I figured I'm the boss, they had to deal with my time schedule. But the truth is the problem with the people that work for you, in this case me, they have work to do. They have to get the job done. Their time is incredibly valuable. While I'm dealing with strategicy, coming up with ideas, a strategic vision, they're the ones who have to do the work and wasting their time is a sin, and I thought about it. I knew I had a change. And while I'll say my tailor wasn't the smartest person I ever met, I too had something in someone to learn and admire about time management. My curiosity led me to an epiphany. I learned about time management drum roll from old people. My son's pediatrician. They had the best organization for efficiency and management of time. Do you remember that your doctor's office, Jesse, when you're a young guy A little bit?
Speaker 3: I remember there's a lot of rooms. They were running from room to room. They knew where everything was. I don't remember it that well.
Speaker 2: You probably do, Ah, You're close to what I want to cover. See. I never realized how busy and how chaotic a doctor's office was for infants and small children. Never realized how crazy it could be crying, screaming, the TV blasting, a playroom buzzing with parents cradling soothing and encourage their kids to be patient, made them feel comfortable, not worried that they're in the doctor's office, and all the while hundred of patients moving through this process. And I watched and learned the office employed five people, a receptionist, and four nurses greeting, attending, and sisting. There were ten doors, You're right, Jessee. Ten doors, some closed, some open. But the brilliance was in the details. Each door had a slot for and with an envelope, and each envelope had the baby's health records and a note indicating why they were there seeing the doctor that day. So when the doctor would go to the door, he'd simply take the envelope, take a quick peek. See who he's dealing with, See what the reason was. He's a doctor, he knows what to deal with. It didn't matter who it was, it was the chart that mattered. Jordan has a sore throat. Door one close, Jordan inside, he walks in, seese Jordan. Door two, Richie needs a flu shot. Door opens and nurses administrating it. The rest were closed envelopen place. I watched the doctor go door to door and eyeball the envelopes, read the issue, knock on the door, walk in. He's ready, no waste of time. He's prepared to see Jennifer and the other one hundred and fifty children will walk through that office that day. And as I said, I saw, I studied, I learned, and I conquered the art of business meetings. After that example, I realized how important was to be brief for meeting, how to be set for meeting, how my assistant would play an important role. My assistant had complete control of my calendar, which I would look at numerous times a day, just in case there were new developments of something unforeseen or I knew something that she didn't. But we were a team. She knew what we needed to get done. And then again in my calendar there was a notation like the pediatrician who had a notation weekly briefing. Division president, Executive VP of Marketing, AD spend for the Yankees, Executive VP Global Product Curement indicating new sourcing in China, Senior VP Sales Bloomingdale's wants to cancel an order. Senior VP Human Resources staffing additional people required. I knew why we were meeting. My doors, the openness, the madness begins fifteen meetings that day, spending ten minutes to an hour, never ever more than an hour. I will tell you this, If you need more than an hour, then you're you're not prepared, you have the wrong people, or you yourself are pretty dumb. You don't need any meetings beyond an hour now, there never fails. There are plenty of surprises. There's no prep. I'm there. My style is to under extand exactly the role I'm playing. Am I going to need to make a decision? Is someone there to brief me? Do they need my sign of Are they there to get my opinion or a position on an issue? My style was cut to the chase. I'd walk into the meeting. I've already looked at my calendar, so I know exactly why I'm there, and I would say, what's this meeting about? Am I here to buy or sell? What do I need to see? What are you helping to accomplish? And they tell me really quickly, like I just said, Bloomingdale's is canceling an order? What do you want to do about it? We need to change our sourcing in China? What do you want to do about I'm going to brief you. I'm going to tell you what this issues is. So I walk in, I know what I'm doing, I greet them, I know what my position is, and I'll tell you what this is also interesting. I don't know about the rest of you. My memory is incredible. If I hear it. I don't like to read. I like to hear. Now do I read all the time? I never stop reading. I never go into a meeting with a pen. I never take notes because it forces me to remember and fra keeps me young. I listen intently, I ask questions. I expect the people in the room to be expert at this subject matter. I also expect to know not quite as much as them when the meeting ends, but close. If I ask the right questions, I pay attention. At the end of the meeting, I'm going to know an awful lot. And at the end of the meeting, what do we do? You need to summarize what we agreed on, what are the next steps, and what is the timetable? And that all came from me watching the pediatrician's office. Jesse, you have fifteen different assignments on any given day. How do you manage it?
Speaker 3: And I don't have an assistant managing my calendar.
Speaker 2: It's tough.
Speaker 3: It's tough. I wake up thirty minutes to an hour earlier every day just to plan everything that I have going on, and I have to prioritize what needs to get done right now? What can I work on? That maybe I can get it ahead of for the next day, and what do I have to think about for the following week. There's so many things at once. I mean every day I'm hosting four shows. I do appearances at night that I have to prep for, and everything takes preparation. I never do anything off the cuff. I have to be prepared for everything in preparation takes time. There's not enough hours in the day.
Speaker 2: If you're doing serious radio, what kind of prep work do you to get ready for that?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll give you an example. You know how Donald Trump the other day said that he was preparing to sue the Department of Justice. Did you see that?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, flmar A Lago.
Speaker 3: Right, So I have to look up everything possible regarding what do you do about suing the government of the United States, What are the political ramifications of this, what would a potential lawsuit look like, what is the success of it? And I have to have all of these legal and political questions wrapped up, including why he's doing it, the timeline of.
Speaker 2: It, what's the give and take with you and the producers.
Speaker 3: I picked the topic or they submit a topic, and then we agree and it's all me. It's either I want a guest or I don't want a guest. It's literally I'm in the driver's seat and they don't give me a script. I write my own script. I tell them to help find some clips that might be useful, and that's it. It's all on me. You think I could just do that in fifteen minutes. It takes about an hour and a half to prepare for right.
Speaker 2: I get it. I get it. One to ten. How good are you at planning?
Speaker 3: I think I'm a ten. I'm very good at planning. Really, I'm not great at time management, though, in the sense that I have too much going on. Do I focus? Do? Sometimes certain things get a little more at tension than other things. Yes, I don't know how to dedicated.
Speaker 2: Well, I got news for you. You said what General Eisenhower said when he dealt with priorities and when he dealt with time management, he said, you deal with the things that must get then first. That's what you said. That's true. You know, before I wrap up this thing on meetings, when you were meetings, you're on the hot spot, particularly in my case when you're the boss. I was CEO of president whatever A case may be, you have to be ready to go. The first thing you do is you have to look at who you're meeting with. Are the entrepreneurs, creative thinkers outside the box that are you going to have to have your best game? Or the bureaucrats they just know what the rules are and they'll follow. Are you dealing with domestic or global issues? Sometimes does are very different things. What you need to do for Macy's and New York make very different from what you do for Harold's in London. Whoever's sitting across the desk from you or the conference table, you have to size them up. Do they have a presence, Do they command attention? Do they demand respect? Are they players or lightweight? You have to do all these things that judge