Speaker 1: It's night time with Dan Ray. I'm telling you Easy Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: All Right, we're gonna stick with this topic. Okay, we had we thought about doing something dealing with the cost of now television scream streaming, streamflation as we call it, where it's so much more expensive to get things like Netflix, Discovery Plus, Peacock, Disney plus, to name a few. We going to talk about cord cutting, but I think we're gonna stick with this throughout the hour, and then at eleven o'clock we will switch at the twentieth hour and we will go to our Super Bowl predictions and we will have a prize available. Okay, so whoever comes close to prognosticating, you got to pick the winner of the game, and then of the group who picks if the Eagles win, the people who choose the Eagles. If the Chiefs win, the people choose the Chiefs. I'll explain the ground rules after the eleven o'clock news. But you have a chance to compete and have a won't cost you anything, and who knows, you might even win. A nightside, I think we're gonna put another coffee munk up on the on the table. We gave away a couple last hour, but we'll make one that people will earn. Okay, going to take a quick Uh, I think, yeah, we got full lines. Let's stick with this, Rob. That's that's Rob's call as well. Let me go next to John and dead him. John, appreciate you calling back. You were next on nightside. John, go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Hey, I wonder I gonna mention the high school, but after the original call, I feel I kind of have to. But A I was a sophomore at Saint colum Kill High School there in Brighton.
Speaker 2: How about that you probably knew new Maureen who knows?
Speaker 3: Probably did? It wasn't that big a school. Yeah, but remember having three straight weeks off of school stay which around the vacation week. And uh, my mother worked at same as this hospital in Eternity, and we never saw her because nobody could. The nurses couldn't drive to the hospital. She was in walking distance, so she wish she was there all the time. And never remember my parents from Italy. So my mother, typical time mother would tell her people like, hey, I got to go home and feed my family, so they would let her go home. She'd come home, feed us, maybe take a nap, every now and then and then right back there. So we highly saw her, you know, during that time. But and we lived on a corner where they apparently used to plow all the snow and you couldn't see off the second floor. It was just the mountain of snow in front of the second floor window.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that was see. I saw a snow pile like that in the well in the winter at twenty fifteen. They didn't know where to put it. It was just so much. I mean, at one point I think they were dumping it into the Atlantic Ocean, but then there was some question about whether or not it was legal to dump it into the Atlantic Ocean and all that, you know, so they stopped you, you would know.
Speaker 3: To spend the night when I thought it heard over the years that a lot of weather people during that time we weren't even predicting your store. They were basically saying it was a dusting, was it, Bruce? If I say Bruce Waggler was a w BZ with Bruce.
Speaker 2: Schwaggler don kent. I think Norm McDonald probably was still there at the time. It was a Barry Burbank may have just been starting as a young weather guy. At w b Z. They we had another young guy named Joe Reardon who didn't stay there too long. So and you know, the the other stations had their weather people and you know, they it became pretty competitive in terms of who predicted the closest. I think Bruce did a pretty good job on it. Don Kent had no none of the technical stuff, but Don Kent always seemed to know. You know, Don was was one of the great weather forecasters. If you I don't know if if you remember him, but you should remember him if you were sophomore at Saint Column Kills, Don was working bs.
Speaker 3: Question was that the pot stands. Did they get stuck overnight?
Speaker 2: Yeah? They did. I think I think that a lot of them ended up sleeping at the garden because the storm came in, uh and it really wound up. And you know, they they were there at the game. I'm sure someone will call tonight who were who who were were at the bean pot game and and we'll tell us some stories about that. But I at least they had food, and they had some heat there, and they had places you know, you could look. It was okay, you could sleep in a chair. I'm sure some decided to go home. Uh, and a lot of the kids who would have been there for the bean pot. I don't know at what point they stopped the MBTA from running, but that's it was. It was an experience I remember as a younger kid. There were snowstorms when I was in elementary school and high school in the fifties and sixties. There seemed to be more snowstorms in that era of my life. Then, yes, I got older, but the big one was always nineteen seventy eight, the Blizzard of seventy eight. That's for our generation, and I would count you in our generation. You're a baby boomer technically as well if you were if you were softmore in high school in seventy.
Speaker 3: Eight, we were building tunnel. We were little kids building tunnels everywhere just to get to the side fork and definitely different erar.
Speaker 2: Good stories, John Good. Good to hear your voice. Please continue to listen and call Knights at any time. Okay, thank day, Thanks John. Talk to you soon. Let me see why I can get one more in here before the break. I don't want people to have to wait too long. Let me go to Florence in Groveland. Hi, Florence, you were next on nights. I get you right in here before the break.
Speaker 4: How are you, hi, Dan?
Speaker 5: How are you doing great?
Speaker 2: Doing great? You were around in seventy eight.
Speaker 6: I assume I wanted Dan, I wish live in. We were living in a condo community in North Andover and to get to our condo, all the different buildings in there, you had to drive in off the main highway and down in. It wasn't all level, it went downhill, and of course my condo was way down the back at the bottom, okay, And when we got that storm, you couldn't get out. You could not get out. You felt trapped, and you couldn't even drive out because the side road along the condos, all the condos was where you go in and out, and you had to wait for their plow to comment, you know, and plow the roads, and then somebody else coming in and plowing all the walkways where so people could get out of their front door and try and walk up to the road.
Speaker 2: All right, So well the circumstances, Look, it was one of those storms that everybody was inconvenienced. How when how long did it take you to finally get outside? After the storm started on Monday, lasted right into Tuesday, well into Tuesday. When did you finally get out of the house.
Speaker 6: About three days? Yeah, about three days?
Speaker 5: Not bad.
Speaker 6: And you know, I was going to say, Dan, when my mother had me, she told me they had a big snowstorm and had a tough time getting her to the hospital to have me. So I have always called February blizzard month, and if we don't get snow December January. I always tell everybody, you can be sure we're going to get the snowstorms in February. You cannot get through February without it.
Speaker 2: Well, let me tell you. I don't know if we're going to get a blizzard, but we're going to get a legitimate snowstorm for what the weather guys. We talked with Bob Larson last hour. Ye can well see how it works out. And maybe there'll be a blizzard later on this month. We still have about three weeks left in November, so you never know. Maybe it's a Valentine's Day. They're talking about a big storm at the end of next week.
Speaker 3: We get a blizzard, we've got to call back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, back and tell me that.
Speaker 2: Remind me that that you were the one that mentioned it.
Speaker 6: Okay, it'll be on my birthday maybe Sunday.
Speaker 5: So all right, is.
Speaker 2: Your birthday the ninth or the sixteenth?
Speaker 6: My daughter is the ninth and the sixtect.
Speaker 2: All right, well, happy birthday in advance, and I'm sure we'll talk to you at some point next week. Thanks Lawrence, I gotta roll. I got you before the break. Thank you so much, Sea.
Speaker 6: Of Us, the Heir of snowstorm Yep.
Speaker 2: Okay, we'll talk soon. Talk next week. Thanks Lawrence. Good night, Coming back on night Side. The only line opening is six one, seven, four ten thirty Back on Nightside right after this.
Speaker 1: Now back to Dan Ray live from the Window World, Nightside Studios.
Speaker 2: I'm Easy News Radio, Escape Rolling. You're gonna go to Terry down to the Cape, Terry buck that down the hatches, it's coming.
Speaker 7: Okay, Hi Dan, how are you?
Speaker 8: Congratulations to you? I know way to five thousand. Now, does this make you a goat?
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 8: I think it, d Dad, I'm naming you damned the goat.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate the designation. There's there's been a lot of people. I don't know how many people have been on this beat as long as I have. But we're in a we're in year eighteen doing the show and still enjoying it as much as when we started in twenty oh seven, in large part because of listeners like you, Terry. So I thank you for your loyalty, both as a calling in as a listener.
Speaker 8: Thank you so much. Dan, that's very kind of you. But I think they're a goat.
Speaker 2: Well, I know what goat stands for. It's a good thing. It's the greatest of all time.
Speaker 8: So as I would never I would never throw anything else your way.
Speaker 2: So which big snowstorm do you remember the most? Everybody is saying the blizzard of seventy eight.
Speaker 8: I remember, yeah, I certainly remember that one well. But you know, my first one on keepe Cud was very interesting. When I first bought my little place down here, everybody said it never snowed on Cape Caught, you know, that always has been the message. So the first snow storm happened on it was Thanksgiving nineteen eighty nine, and oh my goodness, we had about twenty inches and I was looking out my picture window and down the street came this is what they had. Then, this is really true. A station wagon that had a little prow in front of it trying to prow a main street, and I was like, oh my goodness, you've got to be kidding me. Clearly thinks we're a little better now. But you know, certainly our DTW works very hard and they're very labor and so and I'm very grateful for them for way back then. That's what they had.
Speaker 2: That was it.
Speaker 8: Well, that was it. Well, it was comical. It also wasn't.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well I've seen snowstorms down there in recent years that were pretty big. In twenty fifteen, you've got we got a lot of snow in the cape, if you know what I'm saying this.
Speaker 8: We did yump, Yeah, yeah we did, we did.
Speaker 2: But it looks like I don't think this would be okay, this one. You're not going to get killed. You're not going to get killed by this one. As far as I'm going to be.
Speaker 8: Okay, I honestly would rather a little snow versus ice. Oh yeah, ice, you know, yeah, you know. And this little thing that happened a couple of days ago. You know, I've known three people that sell on their you know, doing little things like getting out of their vehicle because they couldn't see that there was ice underneath and foot and you know those things are really tough anyway, and none of.
Speaker 2: Us are getting any younger. And that's again yeah, absolutely, well, Terry, you have a great weekend, stay out of the snow and I'll see you soon.
Speaker 8: I've got my Dan Ray night tide mug and I'm all set.
Speaker 2: Well. I hope you have coffee or hot coco tomorrow.
Speaker 8: Okay, absolutely, no question, And thank you Dan, and congratulations to you again.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much, Terry, You're the best. Thank you so much. Doctor Sue.
Speaker 7: Good time, hy bye, bye bye.
Speaker 2: Let me go. Next we get Alex and Millice in here. Alex, how are you, sir?
Speaker 9: Hey, how are you doing? Dan Greening? I remember the blizzard of seventy eight. My dad had the coffee shop in Dorchester, so we lived in Rossendale and back then, I guess they had restrictions about driving, but a police police had stopped, uh stopped us. But then they they said that's fine because we had you know, uh serving uh, you know, we had like an establishment. And I can remember the mound of snow that covered the storefront. It was it's on Dorchester Ave. And I know, I mean, I'm not sure if you know that area. Of Saint Mark's over there, Yeah, on the corner Seemn Roads. And we made a trench to get into the doorway. So reminded me of the Panama Canal.
Speaker 2: That's timely.
Speaker 9: And uh we finally opened up and my dad had uh had you know, started uh you know, uh getting the coffee ready, and you know customers were coming in.
Speaker 3: Uh. And uh.
Speaker 9: The other thing about this storm, Uh, I don't think uh you know, I'm not afraid of snow because we got the snow blow up. But we pre ordered these win They have a wing that found at our church for Sunday for the game and they're pre paid, so I hope, uh, you know, they don't cancel that because I'll be out.
Speaker 3: Of the wing.
Speaker 9: I'll be out of them.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Who's gonna win? Who's gonna win? Do you think?
Speaker 9: I think it's the Eagles. So the reason for my you know, why I want the Eagles is I'm not a fan of Taylor Swift and associates Taylor Swift with the other team.
Speaker 2: I got you, I got you. Well, you know, maybe it's a Parkley is a great running back. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: You can call back at eleven and put a put against in. You know that's a everybody gets a hall pass at eleven o'clock, you know that. Okay, Thanks Alice, I appreciate it. Thanks pretty talk to you soon. Have a great night. Good night. Let me keep rolling here. We're gonna get Alice in Beverly. Hi, Alice, welcome next on Nightside.
Speaker 10: Hi Dan Well, Alice person said, I don't mind the snow, but I hate the ice. Well, I been in bed for two weeks now. I fractured my petella slipping on black ice.
Speaker 2: My brother. Let me tell you, I know a little bit about what you're going through. My brother I fractured his kneecap last summer and it's been a long recovery. How did you fracture?
Speaker 11: It?
Speaker 2: Just fell on ice.
Speaker 10: I fell on I saw as I got out of the car. I even had a cane, and I was going to thees pharmacy and I saw that there was ice, but I I didn't see was the black eyes. And when I got to the curb is that's when I slipped and my knee went right down onto the curb, right on my patella and and but you know what, like I have an unbelievable freshold for pain because I needed help getting out. But when I got up, I went into the pharmacy to pick up a prescription and the woman said, I say, no, I just fell. And she said to me, no, what am? I Let me get the manager and the cay said to me, is there anything I can do for you? I said, well, I could use a band aid and so, and I still didn't like do anything. I got in the car, I drove myself home and then it wasn't until I was going to go to a WA condo meeting that I realized I couldn't get up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so this happened how long ago? How many days? How many weeks ago?
Speaker 10: Having done the twenty first of January.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you're into this now about two and a half weeks. What have you had to have surgery yet?
Speaker 10: No, they're hoping that I don't like. I have X rays again on the tenth of February, and I'm just in the in the doctor that I saw see somehow, people say to me, I look too good, you know, like I can't believe I'm seventy six years old. That the guys said to me, Oh, you know, the other guy sent over the X ray. We'll get Joe to come in and put a brace on and I'll see you in three weeks. And and you know I was like, okay, And then well, if you can.
Speaker 2: Avoid the if you can avoid the surgery, obviously, you know, if you have to have it, you got to have it. But if you if, if they can simply brace it for you and you can nurse it back to hell.
Speaker 10: Oh definitely, believe me, My dance card is full as far as surgeries go. So between Halven, you know, seven elbow surgeries fresh gme, no, but I but I do. I mean, everyone said, gosh, I can't believe that. They and I just said from the neck up, I look pretty good.
Speaker 3: But forgetting that happens.
Speaker 2: To all of us, Alice, and it doesn't this getting old stuff. It's way overrated, way overrated.
Speaker 3: But I.
Speaker 10: I started looking bad well when I was when I was like forty two, because I was misdiagnosed with something that caused me to have brittle bones. And so but you know what, Dan, I already know where I'm going after this life. So I just figure out it's between that now and the time that God decides to take me home that I have to, you know, get through. So I'm I'm actually, I'm so glad that I have. I have two transistor radios. One of them is on always on DZ, and the other one is sports talk radio because occasionally.
Speaker 9: I do have to listen to that.
Speaker 2: You know, that's okay, as long as you're listening night side, that's all I can. That's all I ask.
Speaker 10: Okay, oh yeah, right, But getting back to Actually, I was listening to.
Speaker 3: WBZ during the blizits of seventy eight.
Speaker 10: What happens. I was working at Children's Hospital, and I think that they regret I was working in day surgery and they sent us home because they really did not know that this bad store. People were beginning to call up and say that they're you know, because they come from all over the place to come in today surgery or for any of the surgery the day surgery, you come in that morning, and we were getting all these cancelations. So then they said, wow, the schedule's wiped out, you might as well go home. Well, I think that they regret that because you know, other places in the hospital nobody could get back in. So I and I try to go in. I lived in Peevity, and I lived at like the bottom of a hill. Trying to get into my driveway and then also my apartment. My my apartment was like kind of a basement apartment and the door opened in so I actually had to ask a neighbor to come so that, you know, like I was fuck in there because I couldn't get the door open. And so, but then I was listening to the to bes and I, you know, at least I didn't lose power. And so they I heard them talking about saying, if you live near a hospital or a nursing home, you know, you know, you're a healthcare professional. You know, maybe they could use your help. And I go, well, I don't even have a nurse's uniform because I worked in the OA. And so I said, well, I'm going to go up to JB. Thomas Hospital, which was two blocks away from me. It took me about an hour to walk up there because I had to walk in the street. And when people were talking about it was way it was like at least waste time, or maybe above that, it was dangerous.
Speaker 2: It was dangerous that people couldn't see you. They come around the corner and you could be you could be hit. Absolutely, I was. I walked in those streets too, not it was.
Speaker 4: I don't think anybody was driving.
Speaker 10: But but I thought, okay, I'm going to go I'm going to go up there because you know, I got let off of my other job, so I'm going to say somebody, I can help somebody. So I get up there and I just said, sorry, I don't have a uniform. But then they go, no, listen where you know, you got a license. You know you can help us. And then there was a classmate of mine that was working, and I said, oh, I'm so glad you here because I said, I don't you know, I've never worked here on Earth, but you know I can, I can do something. And she and I said, and she goes, well, I don't work here either. You know psychiatry, you know, and so so well, good.
Speaker 2: For you, good for you. Did you get paid for that time? Was that volunteer work? Well?
Speaker 10: Then they did pay us, because I think they figured they had to because we were you know, we were given pain medications and sure, you know, things like that, so we couldn't be a volunteer, you know, they wouldn't.
Speaker 2: I hate to do this see Alice, but I mean four minutes into the newscast, so I got to let you go.
Speaker 10: But all right, take care, thank.
Speaker 2: You for calling, and and get better with that need. Please. You're a professional, don't you know. Be careful whichever whichever way you go here, either get it done or give it a shot. And if it doesn't, you know you'll you'll figure it out. But God love you.
Speaker 3: Okay, Thanks Ella.
Speaker 2: Good night. Okay, here comes the ten thirty news. We'll finish this up at eleven o'clock. We're going to pick the winner and someone I think, well I know someone will win. Someone's gonna get very close to the to the winning team and the score. Back on night Side right after the news at the bottom of the hour.
Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: Let's go to Pete in South Carolina, where they were not expecting a snowstorm tomorrow. Hi Pete, how are you?
Speaker 3: I'm fine, Dan, how are you?
Speaker 2: That's great.
Speaker 3: I've got two quick stories and I know a lot of people are calling in, so here you go. First one. The last time it snowed in South Carolina was in twenty eighteen. The Eagles won the Super Bowl. Whoa last we had three Last week we had three inches of snow.
Speaker 2: Oh you had Florida if you hadn't had, I forgot about that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm hoping the Eagles win. That's number one. Number two. It wasn't a storm in Boston that I know of. But in nineteen eighty three, I was snowed out. I was living in Philly then working. I was snowed out of Philly and had to spend three days in Chicago. What were you What I was? I was? I was a reinsurance underwriter for a Dutch reinsurance company for life Life all right. So when you talked medicine or when you have a doctor on, I'm always listening because that was my profession for fifty years. Now I'm retired. I'm retired here in South Carolina. My daughter lives about twenty minutes away with my grandchildren, and we have them.
Speaker 2: We really perfect. Was what was the temperature? Let me guess you were in the sixties today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sixties and windy. If you wanted to go to the beach and fly a kite, you had a great day. Tomorrow. I think we're supposed to be in the seventies. But I noticed that Boston's going to get a little slammed. And like I said, I know how old you are, so just be careful, will you all?
Speaker 2: We're all going to be careful. Oh yeah, I'm still I was in the gym today. I'm I'm in pretty good shape for for all shape. I was shoveling snow this morning. We had a little bit of snow, so I was out, uh you know, cleaning off driveway this morning and doing a little bit of light snow and I'll do something a little bit. Well, yeah, we'll be fine. We will be fine.
Speaker 3: I really do as you said earlier, getting old ink for the week.
Speaker 2: It is. It's it's it's way overrated. It's way overrated, you know, the Golden Years and all of that. No, no, no, no.
Speaker 3: No, no, no right anyway.
Speaker 2: Pete, thanks so much for checking in from South Carolina. Always great to hear your voice. And he so you're an Eagles guy. Okay, Well we'll see you know all my life.
Speaker 3: I mean, I remember when the Eagles beat the Packers at nineteen sixty, so I go back to the Eagles.
Speaker 2: Is that Norm van Brocklyn quarterback.
Speaker 3: Norm van Brocklyn and Chuck Betten Erik and Retz laugh. That's it, you know, God bless you.
Speaker 2: Of course, I know I know my sports. You know, I don't do sports per se, but anybody knows me knows that I know sports.
Speaker 3: I love when you do your annual baseball show.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, no, no, absolutely. Yeah. My dad was on a troop ship coming back from World War Two. He was in Chilbourban, India, and Norm Van Brocklan was on that troop ship.
Speaker 3: So uh cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Van Brocklin, who of course was a great quarterback with the Rams, uh before before the Eagles, and he had, you know, great players with the Rams, Less Richter middle linebacker, you know, John Arnette, Jaguar, John On, that great runner, running back, Danny Toler, a fullback, l Roy Crazy legs hirsh yeah crazy right. Yeah, No, I know this stuff, trust me.
Speaker 3: I know Dan, I know you know this stuff. I've been listening to you for a lot of years, as you know. But anyway, I'll let you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah all right, then we'll talk to Thanks Pete. Appreciate it, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: I'll talk to you later.
Speaker 2: Thanks, Buddy, appreciate it. Thank you. Okay, we're gonna get Angelo and Newton. Angelo, you were next do nights. I appreciate your patience. Angelo. We've had a lot of callers tonight. Go ahead, Angelo, Dan.
Speaker 5: It's okay, Dan, Like you said, when when we were in school, I remember we have three four snow sums a week and today you don't even see that. And I was only twenty one years old when we had the blizzard, and I'll never forget that time because we were outside getting quitting and ready, and when I seen that snow coming, they said.
Speaker 11: It was only gonna be a little bit. I said, this is not gonna be a little bit. This is gonna be more than a little bit. And it took us like a couple hours of cleaning our own yard. And one of our garages had a flat roof. We wrapped their shove almost snow off the roof. So my dad was cleaning out the yard and most of the time he says, where am I gonna go?
Speaker 5: I'm not going anywhere. So he made a pad down from the front of our house to the one part of the main road. And it was like, I don't know, two o'clock in the morning and I was watching loose. I looked out of the woodow. I said, yeah, dad, look it. I don't know how they did it. The fightingmen were running down through that snow on the bargain, and it came to find out that one of our clients down the street had a heart attack, and I guess they couldn't find a machine, so there was a machine that came later behind them. When they got to the front of our house, it was shocked that it was plowed, and they said, if we hadn't done that, the husband would have died. So they put it right up on us and the firemen. And another thing.
Speaker 2: You guys, you guys, that's hey. I'm I'm glad your dad was on the ground and you guys were up on the roof because you wouldn't want it to reverse. You were good kids to be doing that for your dad.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, yeah, I did a lot, believe me. When I was a young kid and I wasn't afaid to do it. And even then my dad even put me in a large truck call of snow, we'll hollow stow for the city looting, and we were getting all the snow and dumb it at the Cold Springs playground. Yeah, and then I was loaded with snow and of the truck's lots of break. But I know how to handle myself. When I stopped that truck and I call my dad and then my dad put me behind the back. Gough. I clean all of us know at the high school, loading it all on the trucks and they will haul on away.
Speaker 2: That's a. That's a that's some good, good talent, good skills. Hey, Angela, I hate to do this to you about I'm at ten forty five. I got to take a break. I got a line of calls behind you. It's always so great to hear you. Talk soon.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Mauta, Thank you.
Speaker 2: You welcome there. Have a good weekend, Stay warm tomorrow. Let's keep rolling after the break here quick break, All night's coming right.
Speaker 1: Back now back to Dan Way live from the Window World Nights Sie Studios. I'm WBZ News Radio.
Speaker 2: We're going to try to get five callers in Okay. And then by the way, if you want to call back during the eleven o'clock hour, that's the one hour we give you a haul passed during this week. We ask people to are limited to one a week, but you can take it. Make a prediction on the chiefs Eagle Super Bowl game on Sunday. That way you'll have something on to roof for one way or the other, and we'll put up a knightside coffee munk to the winter. Simple as that. From our friends at College Hype, Jack Darting and the guys, the guys and gals at College Hype are great friends of this program. And you can get all sorts of nightside gear, sweatshirts like the one I'm wearing, t shirts, hats, coffee mugs. They're available and they are really good quality. Christine is in debt him. Hi, Christine, welcome back. How are you good?
Speaker 3: How are you good?
Speaker 2: So you probably are too young to remember the blizzard of seventy eight.
Speaker 12: I remember I was. I was for seventy one five was I was very young. But I remember my brother he had his window up by like the rope area. Yeah, we have for a Faniel dog. We have we have to put the dog up from the roof that we couldn't get the dog out of the front. And I remember my neighbors. We lived on the dead end street and he was a doctor. He tried walking to the talk in the hospital. He was trying to got Boss Street going to kind of go to work, and didn't he have a heart attack and die and snow bank?
Speaker 2: Oh my god, no, you see it old right by my house.
Speaker 12: Yeah, they said fireman had to come down on ledgs and everything and hold how old?
Speaker 2: So he died during during the blizzard, the blizzard.
Speaker 12: Yeah, he fell into a snow bank and had a hot attack.
Speaker 2: How old a gentleman was he at the time? If I could ask Christine, roughly.
Speaker 12: Like sixty six?
Speaker 3: I said, Oh my goodness, what a loss.
Speaker 12: Yeah, that was the first time I've ever It was devastating.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 12: The fireman couldn't even get the fire trucks down the street or anything because the clouds couldn't come down because it was on a dead end street. All our names were helping each other. We all had sleds and some people com polls. I'm going up and down on you know this, you know, getting chopping for everybody, back and forth. I remember it was quite something.
Speaker 2: What a traumatic experience for for you know, you would have been seven years old at the time. What a traumatic experience. But there's a guy who obviously was not going to allow anything to prevent him from getting to where he needed to be. Yeah, you know, it's a tragic it's a tragic story, but it's inspirational. Folks from that generation. They they they weren't going to be stopped. He was a doctor and he knew he had a job to do. But what a sad boy. Yeah, that's that's a that is an absolute downer. But thanks for sharing the story because it just shows you know what people went through. That's there were other people who passed away during that storm trying to help others as well. Christine, I got to run because I got four I gotta get to I'm gonna let you run for now. Okay, well maybe we're talked to you.
Speaker 12: Okay, great, Thank you, Dan, have a good night.
Speaker 2: Sank you too, Christine. Keep going. Let's go to Jim in New Hampshire Gym next on, Nice, I gotta move you a little bit here, Jim Garrett Ahead, Hi, Dan.
Speaker 4: Hey, listen, I won last year for the Kansas City, so I don't need to sure if I win this year, but I'm gonna predict twenty seven to twenty four Kansas City again.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the deal. I gotta wait until the eleven o'clock hour to take any of the predictions. You can call back if you like, and it's Nightside Coffee mug is the prize this year, So hey right, maybe no one? All right?
Speaker 4: So my story for Blizzard of seventy eight. I was fifteen and the police pulled us over because we were hollering. But I live in Holliston. We were doing sixty five down the streets on the snowmobiles and they were pissed at us because they couldn't catch us. They finally caught up to us, but they say, let us go because we were delivering medications. We would go to the pharmacy and bring medications to houses, so they were really happy they were doing that, but they weren't pleased that we're doing So.
Speaker 2: You so you were? You were? You were on Route sixteen probably in.
Speaker 4: Yes, in Holliston exactly.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I lived out by Holliston for about twenty years. One of my favorite towns. Did you grow up there? You must have spent some time at Fisk's General Store?
Speaker 4: Oh god, yes, yep. And then the Super d across the street.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, John and Carrol Paulton area at the Fists General Store absolutely.
Speaker 4: Yeah, super Yeah, I delivered, I deliver newspapers with them. I get my newspapers here and do my newspaper route.
Speaker 2: But you're up in new you're up in New Hampshire. Now you left Holliston.
Speaker 4: You know what's Yes, what's good is I'm in the Hampshire and I drive tractor trailer. I'm headed down the floor and I'll be down there Sunday morning. So I'm going to miss the snowstorm.
Speaker 2: Yay, Well if you're out of town by, they says. We had Bob Larson on from ACI Weather and he said it's not going to start until well, you'll you may hit it. What time you're leaving tomorrow.
Speaker 4: I'm leaving tonight at midnight.
Speaker 3: I'll be down be fine. Yeah Funday morning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you'll be You'll be well well beyond this. Good for you, Good for you, Jim. I got to run. I'll talk soon.
Speaker 3: Appreciate it all right?
Speaker 4: Thanks, my thanks?
Speaker 2: Let me get u. Who's next? Yeah? John and Brookline? Good friend John in Brookline. How are you, sir?
Speaker 3: I'm doing well? Three things seconds to bring up quick about the blizzard of seventy eight. Sure, I was shoveling snow in front of my house and asked for long avenue and a police officer. We didn't get along anyway. You're gonna arrest me for throwing snow in the street, And I responded by saying, well, I only can think of one other place to throw it. And that was the end of that argument. But then down comes a tank, a National Guard tank, taking the Duke in town to Governor de Gacas. Oh my goodness, it was so he was used to the tanks, as we know. He wasn't in the tank. He was in a in a National guid truck behind it.
Speaker 2: Didn't He definitely looked better than he looked in when he was in the tank. I think it was in Michigan, in.
Speaker 3: Perry Street and come down there. And then the third thing was two days after the storm, they had some sort of a group, an environmental group, stopping the trucks from dumping snow town trucks in the Muddy River.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, I mean I remember they were dumping snow into the Atlantic Ocean and they had environmental groups who were upset about that as well.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I remember that big view. But it was quite a storm. But so that's I know that he was not in the tank. He was in the truck behind it.
Speaker 2: But well, those that's great stories. That's great. Yeah. I interviewed him in his house on Perry Street. He's still doing fine. I saw a picture.
Speaker 3: Yeah, ninety years old. He's still walking around the town. He does very well.
Speaker 2: I think he's not I think he's ninety two. I think he will turn ninety two this fall.
Speaker 3: He's Yeah, he's still picking up papers and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: That's okay. He was the real deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, hey, John, appreciate your call. Thank you, my friend. We talk soon. Thanks John, I appreciate it. I'm going to try to get two more in. We'll see. I got Janis in North Reading. Janis next on Nightsiger right ahead.
Speaker 7: Oh hi, my name is Janet, not Janis, but that's all Janet.
Speaker 2: Okay, Janet, welcome.
Speaker 7: Welcome, thank you. So I have a great story to tell, so sure. My grandfather, my grandfather, Grandpa Sullivan, bought a house on seven thousand Situate with his World War One bonus money, and we lost everything in the blizzard of seventy eight. We have pictures. We saw the water coming up. Everything was destroyed in our house, and our house actually floated into our backyard. My dad couldn't find anybody to fix our house. He walked, he watched it. He saw everybody kind of doing everything the same high. He said, something's not right with this. And he had to wait a while to get somebody to fix our house. And eventually we took it eight feet off the ground and the house is still in Our family were third or fourth generation. We called the beach house the Sullivan Beach House. We were actually on Channel five's twenty fifth universary of the Blizzards seventy eight. Our family was on the show then, and it's a great, great story. It's our beach house and our family still goes there.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's great. I remember being in situate a couple of days, you know, into that blizzard and seeing the devastation along the shoreline, and it was tough to it was tough.
Speaker 5: It was awful.
Speaker 7: I still have pictures, we still have pitches, and we saw our house was totally destroyed again. We had a house float into our backyard, the mud inside our house.
Speaker 9: This is awful.
Speaker 2: Summers are beautiful, Summers are beautiful along the shores, but in winter, winter can be tough. I hate to do this to Janet, but I'm up against the eleven o'clock news, and we got the twentieth hour a waiting, so I gotta let you run. If you want to take a shot at a night side mug, feel free on the other side of.
Speaker 10: The stack back.
Speaker 2: Okay, correct, You got to pick the football score as better than anybody else. So if you're a football officials.
Speaker 7: All the way, babe can.
Speaker 2: Say, all right, thanks Janet, gotta go bye bye, thanks very much. If you're on the line you want to stay there, you can. If you're not dial away, We're going to do a Super Bowl prediction. I'll explain the ground rules and pretty simple, pretty straightforward, and we'll get it going right after the eleven o'clock news. The twentieth Hour will take you all the way to Saturday.