Speaker 1: Don't be bad. It's the Internet. You're busy. Let's do this for February sixth, twenty twenty five. For the next hour or so, let me help you sort through the world of gaming on Game Mes Mornings Live with me Jeff Grubb. Today, Konami is busy as a Newcastle Vigne may get announced later this year, and we may we do finally know when Metal Gear Salad Delta is launching. But first please join me in welcoming today's co host, the Game Mess Mornings. It's Jan A Joa. Everybody, Jan how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I am doing completely okay. I'm trying to fight off the sickness. So I'm just eating ginger now grub wa.
Speaker 1: You gotta fight off the sickness. I think that's how that song goes. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not getting down with it. I'm staying far away from shit.
Speaker 1: Uh pretty good though. That was a pretty good one. Yeah, it's every it's everyone. They canceled school again today, not because the teachers were sick this time, although I bet they still are just now. It's we're covered in ice everywhere, but I bet they are happy to have an extra day to let everyone sort of bounce back. The kids have gone from like upset tummies to like, you know, needing the bucket next to them all non stop, to fevers like that stopped and the fever started, and then the fever stopped, and now they're both coughing. So it's just one thing after another and walking walking pneumonia. So how you say that. I never know how to sit because there's ammonia and pneumonia and I don't know to see either one. Yeah, they either way. They are walking around with a lot of just flim and and all kinds of nastiness happening. So it's been fun over here. I so far have mostly ignored it. I've mostly been able to, like, I feel a little down in the dumps, but I'm fighting it off.
Speaker 2: So hopefully we get through this gin. We will get through this grub. I have a very short work assignment coming up, and I am not missing it.
Speaker 1: Yo, No, you're gonna make it happen.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna get sick, That's what it is. And I know that as soon as I said it, I up the chance of getting sick. But I'm eating so much ginger grub my throat is burning.
Speaker 1: Okay, and that's what you want. That's ill how you fix most things.
Speaker 2: If I got to pull out half a raw onion and eat it, I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 1: That just sounds tasty at this point, that sounds really good. Yeah, it's going over here, and I am like, Okay, the ice is outside, so I was gonna go for my walk, and I'm like, as soon as I stepped outside, I was like, oh, I will die if I try to walk on this sidewalk. So back inside. It's been a rough winter. I don't know. I guess I'll just hang out and play video games inside. That seems to be working for me. Just fine. There's a lot coming out right now. Jan have you like picked a game recently?
Speaker 2: I picked up one thing on Fantasy Critic. I meant to pick up more, but then I'm realizing how I don't want to overload on games now. And yes, I just kind of went a wait for the rest of the year, but I did. I am checking out a game that is out today called Keep Driving. I've seen some folks in the GB chat chime in about this. I think this is a very grub game.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna check this out.
Speaker 2: Imagine Oregon trail grub okay, inventory management allah, a resident evil all right, and just vibes and driving.
Speaker 1: Vibes, vibes and drives. Okay, I'm looking at this right now. Positive on Steamy cjy develop It Pixel Graphics, Atmospheric Adventure RPG. Yeah, okay, yeah, look at this. This looks like a road Trip RPG. This was when I was a kid. I always was like, that's the kind of video game I would make if I were older. Seeing something like this that definitely triggers me in a positive way.
Speaker 2: I I know that we're we're standing right at the edge of the cliff with all the games coming out grub. Yes, for whatever reason, I feel compelled to try and figure out a way to play nineteen ninety one's I believe it's ninety one police knots Okay, yeah, we can make that happen, right.
Speaker 1: That's a Headao coach of a joint, right, yeah.
Speaker 2: It's a Kojima joint. I don't know why. Someone had said it in chat earlier this week somewhere, and then it just like it has just been infecting my brain.
Speaker 1: I've never played that or Snatcher, Yeah, that's those are the two that like they're like visual novels, slash f and v cut seene heavy like storytelling games. It doesn't really matter, you just want to play it.
Speaker 2: Huh. Yeah, yeah, it's vibes okay.
Speaker 1: I mean police snots always had a cool look to it. Yeah, like it was from my head. I'm like, I think that was on Sega CD. I'm sure it was on a million other things in Japan though, So yeah, and I bet there are some like pretty good like modern fan translations and stuff of that, like that is that as well?
Speaker 2: Gotta be?
Speaker 1: Yeah, or we could just we could just learn Japanese?
Speaker 2: Why not both?
Speaker 1: Yeah? There we go. Okay, Well, I'm like invested in making this happen now, jan let's see if we can get on top of that. I would I would love to see it. In the meantime, though, let's explain what we do here most weekdays, I Jeff Grub will help piece your game in life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on twitch welcome, you can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSS on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the Morning Mess with porting powerhouse. Iron Galaxy is laying off staff in what is regarded as a last resort. This is from Ben Lions at Game Reactor. The layoffs waves a wave across the video game sector continues to affect more and more people. On top of the round of additional layoffs there are rumored to have been that are rumored have affected PlayStation again, which is another thing that's happened recently. Those are rumored, not really exactly sure what's happening there yet, but those are rumored to be happening while this is also happening. This other studio, Iron Galaxy, is doing this as what it calls a last resort. This time it's the porting experts in the sports studio there, most known maybe recently for Rumble Verse, but they worked on Killer Instinct. They were heavily invested or heavily involved in the Metroid Prime remaster. They've done a lot of work like that, but they definitely seemed to be in a situation and they kind of say it pretty bluntly here. Once rumble Verse Went Sideways, which was an Epic Game Store PC exclusive. It was also on console, I think, but that's where I played it. Once that went Sideways, they definitely were reeling for a minute there, trying to see if they could get some other projects going to keep as many people employed as possible. That they've run out of run way there and now they are trying to basically save the rest of the studio by making these cuts. Jane, I always feel it's always weird to cover layoff stories because you don't know the reality on the ground, what these people have been through. Real people's lives are involved, and we can only sort of glance in from the outside and try to understand what happened. And my gut here is like, man, man, if Rumbleverirs could have just came to steam, maybe that would have had a better chance of succeeding. And I'm sure it's way more complicated than that. I am sure that the people that are affected by this hear that, and they like morbidly chuckle at like how little we fully understand about what they've been through and how to make how to make a business like this go. But boy, I wish they would have just have been afforded every opportunity to succeed with a game like that. And now I think this speaks more highly to a an industry that doesn't want to be spending a lot of money hiring up outside studios to do work lest they absolutely have to. So maybe that's support work that they've been like supplementing the income for the studio with. It's just not out there as much as it once was. So how do you read this?
Speaker 2: It's unfortunate, Greb, especially you know Dave Lang very close friend of the website and everything, and layoffs at any level are going to be difficult. This hits a little bit harder because for smaller studios you have to imagine that everyone feels the impact more so or like on a deeper level where you know. Unfortunately, if you are a bigger company like a Microsoft or a UBI Soft laying off two three hundred people, you can kind of just get rid of them and erase them from your mind, especially if you're at a CEO level like Eves. It's unfortunate. I at least appreciate the level of transparency that like, hey, we're trying to save the studio as a whole, and we have to make these cuts the port work. It's I feel like Ourn Galaxy is very good at what they were doing with the ports, So I think you're right, Grub. I think those bigger studios are tightening up the purse strings because they don't see the value or the money in importing an older game. They just want to continue taking stabs at live service games that will never get released.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or they're bringing that stuff in house. You know. I was having a conversation with my wife and her business relies a lot on like companies just kind of being like, Okay, we have some extra money to spend. We're gonna go hire this outside firm or whatever. And I think we're just kind of looking around me like that is. You know, if it's not dried up, it is certainly drying up. It is these companies are feeling less flush, And I don't know if they actually are less flushed. They probably do have the same amount of extra cash on the books. But the uncertainty in the global economy for every reason that we've talked about recently on the show. First and foremost, the state of the United States has I think spooked so many of these companies to the point where they are not investing, and I think that, you know, that is just exacerbating foundational issues that have been there for a long time in how these companies want to spend money on games, and that's very likely that, like you know, they're Iron Galaxy is probably not laying people off because of the global economy in this moment. They are like, we've tried a bunch of different things recently for years and not you know, everything kind of had to go exactly right for us to be able to save everyone at the studio, and it didn't. So again, it's it's going to be complicated. I hope they're able to make this work. You know. A part of me is also like, God, weren't that, you know, wasn't Microsoft looking for someone to make Killer Instinct again? They would have been perfect for that, and it was always I imagined while hearing things that kind of filled in with a little bit of color. My understanding is like, you know, Iron Galaxy was busy with rumbolvers, so they couldn't do that, and my hope was okay, as soon as they get down with Rumble Verse. That's a shame. That game was very good, should have survived, should have had a better chance, but it didn't. Hopefully now they could just rush over to Microsoft and say, hey, we will take on Killer Instinct for you. But maybe Microsoft found someone else again. We don't know, So I begin wanting to rationalize and understand how these things happen and just try to imagine a world where the best case scenario could have happened, and come out of it feeling pretty naive a lot of the times.
Speaker 2: Jan Yeah, I feel the same way, Greb. It feels very easy to be on our side of the fence and just play armchair expert, yeah, and not knowing all the various different pieces that go into having to make gigantic decisions like this. Overall, I am bummed because Iron Galaxy was one of those places where it's like, all right, it's cool to be weird, and it's okay to be weird because you get something like Dive Kick and Rumble Verse. For as much as we and other people across the internet are talking about how great it was, I think legitimately if it was given the proper run way, it could have maybe not taken off to Fortnite levels, but at least continue to build a niche community. I mean, there is an absolute drop when it comes to wrestling games, right, we had the one AEW game, there's ww's kind of fixed things up now with two K and like those games are better now. But other than those two very lacking in wrestling game representation. And there's so much space for Rumble Verse to have partnered up with an AW or with a WWE releasing skins on skins on skins, or you know what, Rumble Verse could have teamed up with Stardom grub. We could have gotten our Joshi wrestler skins.
Speaker 1: Yep. Yeah, I mean honestly that you could. There's so many ways you could see Rumble Versus working if it just had been really given a chance.
Speaker 2: And perhaps like the partnership with Epic Right tied up a lot of that where they weren't allowed to reach out and it.
Speaker 1: Would rather close it than release it on Steam. Right, it was that was obvious. Again, who knows how much of that really is the culprit. Here in my head, it's like that's a big part of it. People point out, like you know, Iron Galaxy also hasn't had a perfect record with putting ports out Arkham one. The Arkham port that they did was plagued with issues. Now how much of that was their fault has been debated. I again, I imagine it's more complex than the Steam reviews would have led you to believe. And then they were also involved in a rough port of the Last of Us Part one. But they've also done so many great ports that it's like, Okay, they can do this, and sometimes it goes bad. So I bet it's once again more complicated than we understand, because hey, the team that worked on the Metroit Prime remastered port deserves all of the applause in the world and they were involved in that. So yeah, I just think that this is something where we see them do this work and then companies keep going back to them to ask them to do more ports. So clearly they enjoy working with them and have seen positive results. You don't get that repeat business, that's not the case. I think. Really this just comes down to, excuse me, these companies are bringing more work in house, trying to save money, and this is something we see in times of uncertainty. That was one of the first things that happened in two thousand and eight as the recession was really starting to hit hard, was all these support studios that existed in Australia that we're holding up that entire country's video gaming industry all had their money pulled basically at the same time. Left everyone reeling and that was, you know, an entire country's worth of an industry. And I think we're kind of seeing that begin up once again. Maybe this is not like, oh, it's going to going to get that bad, but it feels like it is symptomatic in the same way that was symptomatic of a deeper uncertainty about video games overall. Either way, Iron Galaxy is still going. Hopefully they're able to figure some stuff out. A big part of this is obviously I do enjoy Dave Lang, but I think a big part of it also is these are people who are out of the like Midway Family and Midwest Gaming in Chicago, and you know, we saw it was a Deep Silver or the team that works on Saints Row they got hit with a bunch of layoffs as well, and they were also in the Midwest, and we're just we don't have a lot of developers, big developers left in the Midwest, and part of me feels like this is a slow draining of all that talent and video game development in the Midwest probably will not recover from this. If it really goes away, it will just be smaller studios popping up here or there, and they will mostly have remote teams all of the world. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but the idea of like a big company you can go work at in the Midwest to make video games that is that feels like it's a dream, not long for this world. Volition. Thank you, Thank you, Chad, appreciate that. Yeah, Okay, let's see here, let's keep going. Medal Gear Solid Delta release date leaks via PSN. This is from Jordan Miller at VGC. A trailer for middle Gear Solid Delta Snake Eater has gone live early revealing the game's release date. The trailer, which is currently visible on the PlayStation store page for the remake, shows that the game will be released on August twenty eighth. According to the page, the game will be released, it will be excuse me PS five pro enhanced. The trailer also confirms that the snake versus Monkey mode from the original game will make a return in the remake. It's possible that the trailer was intended for Sony's rumored upcoming State of Play presentation. Medlegear Solid Delta Snake Eater's difficulty will change based on whether players use the game's new third person visual perspective or the original fixed perspective, and then Meddle Gear Solid Delta Snake Eater's modern perspective makes the game, which was originally reached on the PlayStation two, play more like middle Gear Solid five the Phantom pain rather than the zoomed out perspective of the original middle Gear Solid three release. That's very fascinating. I had not realized that I read some of those previews, but I must have glanced over that. If people mention that book for okay, August twenty eighth, that later than I was expecting. But honestly, you know, early kind of like I guess, it's like the heart of summer basically. That sounds about right. That's pretty cool. At least we don't have to wait until like November. I'm really looking forward to this one.
Speaker 2: Jan I am as well. I'm ready to shimmy around ducts and to hide in boxes all over again. Grub yep, yeah, I just I will. I think part of the reason I want to play Police NOTTS is I kind of miss Kojima's weirdness. Yeah, and he's been pretty quiet with Death Stranding lately. Well, I think we have a new story talking about that later, but I want the weird goofiness to grub Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean seeing the monkey Snake versus Monkey mode always does remind me of like, oh, how his goofiness really can infiltrate his games in a very obvious way. Obviously, the stories have a lot of quirks to them, and the characters are all pretty weird deep down and on the surface in many ways. But you're right, like this was just him kind of going ham and I'm glad that this game will be able to preserve that and showcase it in a new way. Yeah. I mean, Konami really going hard with this one. There was a chance that this game I thought could have come out even last year, so them taking quite a bit of extra time to really get it right. I think they have some confidence in it. I think they think that this can sort of reset Metal Gear and get people very much back into that franchise and help them establish a new platform to launch future Metal Gear related projects. I don't know how likely it is they start making new Metal Gear games, but if this hits really hard, they probably do go back and begin remaking a bunch of other Metal Gear solid games, which I think can hold them over for quite some time. And there's still we see there's a lot of appetite for that. Obviously, resident eval proving that.
Speaker 2: Let's see the Game Boy remaster remake of Metal Gear. Yeah. Also, hey, a lot of us had a lot of doubt with Silent Hill two's remake. It's right, I wound up being very very good. I had a lot of attention poured into that and love. So perhaps Konami may be doing something okay lately. Maybe they're getting their act together. Maybe they're the ex grub that wants to get back with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, maybe they like improved themselves in like a real way and it's not.
Speaker 2: Just all a ruse to appear better.
Speaker 1: Maybe they actually do care about these games. Again, So when Chad asked like, hey, why this one? First, I think, and then someone answered here, I see this is first chronologically in the middle Gear Lore, So I think they're looking at it that way is we'll start with this and then we'll rem And also obviously part of it is this is primed for a remake because it is from that generation where, yeah, they need to update some of the gameplay and change some of the things, but a lot of the foundational work is there. If you go back and remake Medal Gear Solid one, it would take quite a bit more work to actually do that. We've heard other developers and other publishers talk about that, where it's like, hey, the PS two, PS three era a little bit easier to remake those occasionally. Yes, Speaking of konami, new cast Sylvania game apparently to be announced this year. According to rumor this is from my Nintendo News, it has been a long time since we got a big budget Castlevania video game, despite it being a huge franchise and having a successful animated Netflix show. Now a new rumor is doing the rounds online, suggesting that Konami is preparing to revive the franchise in the same way it is doing with the Metal Gear Solid series. Portuguese site geeking Out says a new Triple A game is in the Caslvania series is on the way and that it will be officially announced in twenty twenty five. As always, this is a rumor, so we'll have to wait and see how it actually pans out. Now, this is a rumor we've heard before Jan early on as Metal before Metal Gear Solid Delta was announced. Uh, there was rumors say, hey, a metal Gear remake is happening, a new Castlevania game is coming, and they're doing a lot with Silent Hill. Well we've heard, We've had all the Silent Hill announcements. Metal Gear Solid It's date just got released, and we've known about it like publicly for a long time. Castlevania has still been completely in the shadows. They have not confirmed that one way or the other at all, But this has all everything else is lined up, So those rumors have felt pretty solid, and I've been holding a torch for this one. I'm hopeful this rumor, Jan says, triple A game cool. Is that what you expect from a new Castlevania from Konami.
Speaker 2: I guess so, because this is one of their like ten pole ips that they could rally behind that I guess doesn't have any residual stink on it. Right, like Silent Hill has a silent Hill stay think mel Gear as well, with a complicated relationship with Kojima and his exit. Castlevania is like pretty okay, right, It's been on the up and up. The Dominant collection was good, the partnership with the Vampire Survivors was good. People like that, anime. My question for you, Grub, I see Triple A and I'm wondering, does that mean it is going to be a three D Castlevania versus the two D Castlevania.
Speaker 1: That's the implication I take away. Yeah, to me, it's like there's two D Castlevania or metro Vania style Castlevania, and that's the one thing that could possibly be doing. But you know the fact that the rumors have taken so long for us just to even like get to a point where they are going to maybe announce it this year, I guess that does suggest to me that maybe they're working on something bigger and triple A three D game. I mean, at this point, the road map is right there. You try to make a frump Soft style game.
Speaker 2: Now, as my next question, yeah, they make do they just make blood Boorn?
Speaker 1: I mean I think so, Yeah, I think Bloodborne and a lot of frum Soft games have always felt like, hey, these are three D versions of Castlevania games. In many ways, I think, if you just make Bloodborne but it is completely dripping in the style of Castlevania, that would I would love that, that would welcome that in a heartbeat. That would be amazing.
Speaker 2: Hey, as someone that for whatever reason chose the whip cane to start out as my starting weapon and Bloodborne, I'm all for it. I had a taste. I want the whole meal now grub.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you know, who knows how they would be able to pull this off if they have the team to do it, But I'm hopeful. And again, the roadmap is there. They know what they would need to do, and it's not like it's been impossible for someone to replicate what from Stuff is done, and Lies of p has done very well, and there's been a handful of others that have gotten pretty close. And I think if you then have the level of separation of being like, yeah, we're taking inspiration from that stuff that took inspiration from Castlevania, but this is a Castlevania game, then that gives them the freedom to kind of go their way. In and a few like the boss designed doesn't have to be the most startling thing you've ever seen, like from soft bosses. They could be the familiar demons that have always shown up in Castlevania, and I would be like, oh cool, Death is here, A giant Cerebus is here. This this rules So yeah, I'm I hope that if that's the way they're going, that's what we get. At the same time, wouldn't hate another new metro Vania. Would love to see that too.
Speaker 2: Hey you know what, why not a Dante's Inferno?
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, sure, that's it's about It's about time we got someone brave enough to do that. All right, how do you say cerebis everybody? Is? Is it not Cerebus? That's I thought, that's how is it Cerebus? That doesn't sound right? That doesn't sound right and doesn't sound right to me? Okay, it sounded right. Would you say Cerberus? Okay, sound okay? Ies that sounds right. Yeah, I think I've definitely heard people say it the other way, but Cerberus does sound more correct to me. All right, let's see here. Nintendo reconfirms Pokemon Legends, Za or Za and Metro Prime four Beyond coming twenty twenty five. This is from my Nintendo News. Nintendo has reconfirmed in the recent financial report that the long awaited Metrod Prime four Beyond and Pokemon Legends ZA are destined to be released this year. Hopefully we will see both titles in action very soon more than that jan They've also basically said these are Switch one game still now, how that excludes them from switch to in any way? They have not said because obviously all Switch one games will be backward compatible. Also, that does not mean that they won't have some sort of presence as like, hey, Switch two is out now, now you can play these games in an enhanced mode immediately, because these are also basically Switched two games. But they are definitely going to be Switched one games, which I love because Dan counterpick Metro Prime four in our Fantasy Critic, which is very funny but also nice to like. Okay, they're they're telling us, hey, we will still be talking about these games very soon. And of course there is that rumored February direct and both those games probably show up there. And then of course Pokemon Day is also this month. Is it usually in February late February? I think I forget. I think I think that's right, and so we'll definitely get an update about that game at at that point. So, yeah, you still recent to play Switch one.
Speaker 2: Right, one hundred percent grub like they're they're still trying to break records with that machine. That being said, with us being on the cusp of the switch to launching, me personally, I think I might wait a bit at least to play Pokemon Za until more switch to news is revealed. Metrod Prime four, I'll check it out, But Pokemon Za as a Pokemon man, I've been burned. I've been burned by single frame animations for so long. Yeah, I just need a little bit more juice, all right.
Speaker 1: This is a I mean, if you feel like they have finally gotten the message, but who knows if they're actually gonna follow through on that. You know, they pump those games out very quickly, and now they're all now they've always been making multiple games at the same time, and now the games are bigger than ever before, and clearly that has just caught up with them, and the tech is just has been like, hey, we cannot fully support the tech available to us without making major, major sacrifices. Sacrifices other developers simply would not make. Yeah, so I'm hopeful that they are, like, just take a few extra months here and there on some of these projects, just just to fix them up enough and have a little bit more ambitions in terms of how you present them. In the meantime, though, you know, Legends the original Legends was really good. We also just don't know what this Legends ZA. How they're going to separate it from the main Pokemon games and the previous Legends game. Is it going to be like mostly played like that less Legends game, or as the trailer suggests, like have more city management elements. Like it was just a weird trailer, So I would really appreciate an update on what ZA is going to be.
Speaker 2: What if there's no Pokemon?
Speaker 1: Yeah, what if the Pokemon have all just retired? Yeah left, maybe they all got traded to the Lakers. That's probably most likely situation. That's right, Yeah, everyone or the worst at this point. That's kind of yeah, I'm okay with that one even really. Yeah, that was like, oh man, I don't know Jimmy, Jimmy Butler. I don't know about Jimmy, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm more so jazz grub for him bringing his coffee here. All right, well, are you more excited for the coffee that is basketball?
Speaker 1: I think I think that's You're gonna win on this one for sure. Okay, let's take a quick break. When we come back. Plenty of more to talk about, including how well Kingdom Come Deliverance Too has actually sold. We'll talk about that right after this. All right, let's get right back into it. Kingdom Come Deliverance Too has sold one million copies. This is from Zoe Hannah at Polygon. After just a day on the market, the highly anticipated sequel to twenty eighteen's Kingdom Come Deliverance has sold one million copies. Warhorse Studios. Kingdom Come Deliverance two was released to a media and widespread critical acclaim and obviously mounds of sales. Impressive at any time, but particularly in a competitive month that'll see Civilization seven, Assassin's Creed, Shadows Avowed, Monster Hunter Wilds, and Like a Dragon Pirate Yakuza in Hawaii released before it comes to an end. Yeah, it's a busy time. The massive sales numbers so close to other hugely popular releases. Just players are either dedicated fans who planned on buying Deliverance to no matter what when it came out, or that players intend to buy several games at the sixty dollars price point in twenty twenty five. Regardless, the consensus among game reviewers besides Polygond, unfortunately as we didn't get a chance to play the game before launch, is that this game kicks ass, especially for folks already invested in the franchise. The combat gets lots of praise, although are along with the faithful and direct continuation of the story from the first game and the game's signature realism and ray humor stays in this one too. Yeah, and the one thing I have heard complaints about is the is the combat. So I need to just play this game for myself and see rushing to one million sales as a big standalone, well sequel adventure RPG, open world RPG. I think this is It just shows this is one of the things that people really want, and it really puts the line I don't we don't have to immediately go to like EA, but immediately puts the lie like Andrew Wilson kind of talking about, hey, the mass or a veil Guard failed because that Dragon Age game was not live service, so well, that didn't seem to hurt Kingdom Come Deliverance Too, which is probably already at the sales that Dragon Age the Veilguard's at. I don't know, I just feel like some of these companies are so out of touch, and then some of these smaller studios are so in touch with what the audience wants that it's kind of obvious at a certain point why some games are succeeding why they're not, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Grub, there's like a gigantic audience for games out there, right, Not everything has to be a live service game, Not everything has to be a Soul's like obviously, if Kingdom Come Deliverance Too has already developed its gigantic audience with the original game, despite the controversies surrounding it, uh, and then this game can continue to do well despite a bunch of other Fallout or the original stink from the first one. You can make games like the other weird games, Grub. Yeah, Like, I don't understand why that is. The these bigger studios, these Triple A studios are only chasing the other Triple A games rather than like, well that's working let's try and make one of those as well. Yeah, and I don't think the only take that I've seen grub that would have seen Veilguard is imran CON's take that what would have saved Veilguard is if they just called it Dragon Age Veil Guard instead of the Veil Guard.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that would have made a difference for me for sure. God, I hate the Veil Guard. Yeah. I think that, you know, people are just kind of craving anything in this genre at all. Uh So anything that kind of comes in with some competency is going to be well well received. And then I think also this is a sequel that has learned a lot, and I think we also have just see that repeatedly in video games, where the first game kind of like gets most of the stuff right. But overall, it's a seven and eight if you're being completely fair, And if they had time to make a follow up to if they had time to let that institutional institutional wisdom build up and keep people on the same team working on the same kind of game for a long period of time and make them feel secure and like they have the ability to really see their ambitions through to the end, you get a sequel that really does pop off the page in the way that this one seems to be. So I don't know if publishers have the patients to even know that lesson, because I was going to say, learn that lesson, but they've learned it so many times. They're the ones that prove that model, and yet they seem completely disinterested in following through with that sort of idea now unless it is unless the game, like the first game, immediately sells like ten million copies, ten to fifteen million copies. Otherwise they're just not going to give it time. And it's like, how many times have we seen an idea, a show, a book series something like kind of like slowly build up an audience or slow or slowly have a small audience for a very small for a very long time, and then finally, after like a decade, all that comes together and it really finally does pop off and they get all the success. But I just don't know if modern day video game publishers are capable of that sort of patience anymore.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think based off of how companies are built now grub, they intentionally do not give themselves enough runway to wait and see, right mm hmmm. Like we talk about something having a cult success and eventually spinning off into the mainstream, and that's like a lot of miscellaneous fandoms across across media, Like Doctor Who was originally a very niche series for uk A Booze to get into and now it's a big franchise on Disney. Plus similar ish thing with Twin Peaks. Just think of how RGG is able to take the existing tool sets that they have and spin off weird games like Pirate or Like a Dragon, Pirate, Yakuza, whatever we're calling it. Mm hm. But also the Judgment series. Like the Judgment Series, I don't know how well it's sold, but it feels like it has had enough success to build another cult like audience within their existing cult like audience that is h and Like a Dragon is now becoming a gigantic franchise with a big ass audience yep.
Speaker 1: And and over the time, like because they had to be so scrappy for so long, as you were saying, they figured out so many smart ways to get the most out of all the parts and the components that they use to make those games to the point where they can't have the stuff like Judgment games where it's like, Okay, this is going to take place in that same setting, and it's just gonna have different characters and and and uh, you know, different mechanics. But we have a lot of the resources ready to go to deliver this in a pretty quick way. And they already they've done two judgment games as this offshoot series, while having a bunch of other side games in the Yakuza series proper. It's yeah, to me, it's a model, but one that must be I don't know if it's difficult, but one that is scary I think to most traditional publishers, or not as enticing as the lottery ticket of a big live service game hitting. But I'm hopeful that as these publishers kind of get scared off of live service games, they will begin looking around for what is something that is a little bit more stable. I hope they like they like really prize stability going forward, and I think a model like what Yakus has done, and like what a lot of these smaller indie teams and relatively larger indie teams have done, which is, hey, we're going to really focus in on a genre that has felt you know, abandoned in some ways. So yeah, I'm hopeful, and you know, I think EA is definitely playing with fire a little bit when they talk about once again abandoning single player games or you know, having a hybrid only single player games. They have a lot of live service elements, because I don't think gamers feel like they need that kind of publisher anymore. There was a time where it's like, hey, if we didn't have the EAS and the act divisions, we wouldn't get a lot of big games of any kind. And now, you know, any studios from Europe can put out a game that people feel is like the new Oblivion, and that that felt impossible at a certain point. So I don't I just like, if EA decides that they're done with us and they only care about the people that show up for the FIFA Ultimate Team and they only care about like the mobile space, I kind of would be like, all right, so long at a certain.
Speaker 2: Point, But even those audiences like aren't coming in droves, right, Like the football club is like it's down, it's down, and with some of the stuff that I'm personally excited for from EA or things that have like wowed me in the past, like it doesn't have a multiplayer component like Star Wars Jedi Survivor. I don't know how you ham fist any live service into that, or a multiplayer mode into that, maybe like a dueling mode, I guess, but like it doesn't need it, and that if correct me if I'm wrong, But I believe those games were very successful.
Speaker 1: Yes, especially the first one, but I think the sequel did really well as well, and they may started making a third one.
Speaker 2: I don't understand why they feel the need to like stay say weird shit, like, no, it would have been better if we had live service.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I just think, and you know, the hybrid model, it's worked here and there. I mean Hitman clearly worked, and that was a live service game in that there was always something new in the works or getting added, or a new mode, a new way to engage with the same content. They made that game feel alive, for sure, but they had to build the whole game around that like that, and uh, I just think, like, let's just take Dragon Age and then slap the stuff in there or try to make it work with that, and that was never gonna work. You have to build an entirely different kind of game, which maybe requires like hit man was maybe well suited to that, So maybe take a franchise that would be well suited that and apply this. But overall they probably need a lot of new ideas that can fit well into these new models. And in the meantime, what happens with the single player of games, Well, I think if you just made them interesting they would they'd probably be doing a lot better. No, I know, it's it's insane. I shouldn't shouldn't have said it, all right, we talked about Kochoma a bunch already. But as Kojuma teases a new trailer, Death Stranding two has been rated. This is from Jordan Midler at VGC. Death Stranding two on the Beach has been rated in South Korea. As Hideo Kojima teases that he's working on a new trailer. The upcoming game, which currently doesn't have a release date, has been rated by the South Korean Ratings Board. The rating warns that the game includes successive violence, vulgar language, direct to drug use, and more sounds of a party on the beach. While games are routinely rated several months ahead of release, it usually is an indication that the game is very close to completion. This coincides with several teases from creator Hideo Kojuma that suggests he could be working on a new trailer for the game. Gochumo, who famously edits the vast majorities of the trailers for his own video game projects, has taken to social media to tease a premiere pro timeline and several shots from what could be a trailer for the game. Yep, you know that. God, he loves that stuff.
Speaker 2: I needed grub, I need it.
Speaker 1: I know, I mean, I love that. That's still his favorite thing to do. It's just like man, I love making trailers, and he's good at it. He really is good at it.
Speaker 2: It's very good at it. When I learned that fact about him, I was very impressed, and then I started to understand his brain a little bit. Yep, more I what was the quote? Is it implied drug use or let's see direct to drug use? Okay, So that puppet is doing a line of call.
Speaker 1: Oh that that puppet is just such a coke head. Oh my god, I've forgotten about the puppet. How do I keep forgetting about the puppet?
Speaker 2: Jan I, like LEAs said, do has like a scarf with hands?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Or it's like a hand scarf. Yep, I don't understand it any I think I want to play through Death Stranding again, Grub.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do too. I like that game fine, but I never really got into the director's cut. I should go back and really get a chance.
Speaker 2: I don't know how Amazon delivery drivers are in your neighborhood, Grub, because they probably just get on and off the truck.
Speaker 1: They're all just like Daryl from walking down.
Speaker 2: Well, but since I live in an apartment building, the person, the delivery person will generally have like a giant soft crate that they are carrying on their back, and our mail room is weird, so I generally have to like buzz them in. It is just hilarious watching them take out menestulate the crate twenty different little envelopes in this gigantic crate.
Speaker 1: Okay, I know they don't do that here because it's like we're the suburbs, so they're just driving around. I have not seen the crate backpack.
Speaker 2: Oh grab, I'm gonna take a picture.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'd love to see this.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna expense like twenty retro tinks from Amazon just so you can see this.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I appreciate that I did Backlar did let me expense my retro tank. So we have been playing my n sixty four looking forward to that.
Speaker 2: I don't even know what I can plug into a retro tink. I just bought twenty of them and just keeping that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dream like Lego, stack them together, build little houses. This would be awesome.
Speaker 2: I'll just daisy chain the retro tinks.
Speaker 1: This game probably shows up at that PlayStation state of play that is rumored to be happening around Valentine's Day.
Speaker 2: He's gonna he's gonna make it like a love trailer.
Speaker 1: I think there's a chance he could. Yeah, I think he would love to like do that. That would be amazing.
Speaker 2: I he Yeah, what are the odds grub that like he's been wicked pilled?
Speaker 1: Oh one, one hundred percent, Like there's no chance he hasn't been wicked pilled. It's a movie that came out of course he watched it.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that just like he one hundred percent ate up the musical sequence from Alan Wake two. Yeah, oh yeah, he's gonna add some songs to this girl.
Speaker 1: He's gonna be jealous that he doesn't have more musical numbers. And his stuff. Yep, I think. I mean especially in the trailers, Oh my god, because he'll he just goes crazy in those things, which is half the fun for me. I really enjoy his lead ups to releasing games because you know, they're not like, oh that's more interesting than the games themselves, but they're just also very cool. So yeah, I'm looking forward to this. This will probably be like them getting started in earnest. We don't have a release for this game.
Speaker 2: Right, let's see negative.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I and I'm but it probably does come out this year. I think it's most people's expectations, So maybe we get a release date here. This feels like one that could be first half of the year still h and then maybe Sony has because this will be exclusive to PlayStation four some time, this would be one of their first half exclusives, and then maybe they have something else for the second half of this year. That kind of feels right at this point.
Speaker 2: Has has Hadeo Kujima acquired lin Manuel Miranda.
Speaker 1: Yet I don't know if he's added him to the collection yetka.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we have a way to ham fist that into happening.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think at certain points like we can No, we definitely have the connections to get that come fully completed. And I always love the stories of Hollywood people being told that he's going to contact them, Like, look, Deo Kojima is going to call you. He's a video game developer in Japan and he's a genius. Just just do whatever he says. And then they all just do whatever he says, which is fly to Japan, step into my chamber, and let me capture you like a Pokemon.
Speaker 2: I mean, hey, what, anything's possible. I'm sorry, Dan, Death Straining two will have a musical segment.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, for sure, Dan, if you want again, go watch The Apple because that's the dumbest musical ever and it's like it's fun to hate. So god, it's a that's a good one. Everyone should watch that new new Pickle draft A good moment in there and related to the Apple. All right, So let's see here, keep going. Sega files new Sonic Blitz trademark. This is from Ali Reynolds at Yes at Nintendo Life. Sega has filed a new trademark for something called Sonic Blitz, as revealed via Cheese Day Watch, which is, uh, they basically just track trademarks in Japan. Naturally, very is known about the trademark, but it covers all the usual categories you might expect from a company like Sega, Education and entertainment, machinery, ROM cartridges, programs for home consoles, optical discs, headphones, speakers, electronic circuits, and blah blah blah, basically everything that could potentially be linked to a major video game franchise. This feels like the new Sonic like universe for merchandise and animation and stuff like that, and there might then there might be a game related to this as well. But this definitely feels like when we got like Sonic Boom and the big effort there was well there's a Netflix shown. Yeah, sure there's a game. It was trash, But this feels like that to me. I don't know it maybe is something else happening here, jan you can maybe pin down here.
Speaker 2: Whenever I hear blitz added to something, I just think, okay, this is going to be a mobile game. Perhaps it is a different platform, like you're saying grub or just to try and get everything underneath a neat umbrella. The Sonic Eye is very weird because I feel like the people out there that only consume the movies are a very different audience than the Sonic video game audience as well. Very different because, like the Sonic movies don't quite reflect everything that you could do in the game f at all, because other than going super Sonic, Sonic and Shadow aren't having super Saiyan battles on the moon from my memory, in the games at least, you're just getting the ebless trigger, right, that's right, Yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: I did watch Sonic three. That was a lot of fun. That's a fun movie. There's show and there's a there's a sand battle on the moon. Yeah, it's pretty good stuff. Yeah. I think I think you're right that that this is them kind of maximizing the return on Sonic and making sure that, hey, the movies are chugging along, let's make sure we have other ways for people to engage with Sonic and kind of start a new initiative here, fresh and you know there, it's like the teenage mutant Ninja Turtles, right, there's always a new Turtles for the latest generation of kids. It's like Pokemon. Sonic really does have Pokemon like appeal, is what I've discovered. Kids just see Sonic and their immediate like, that is a cool dude that I am into. So yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: Get it because I was once in those shoes of those children of like Sonic, is hella cool? He loves chili dogs?
Speaker 1: Yeah exactly, and like today Sonic is the number one avenue through which children learn about the concept of chili dogs. I think that is a factual statement.
Speaker 2: So I didn't not know what a chili dog was until Sonic.
Speaker 1: My kids too, they start talking about chili dogs one day and I'm like, who showed you, Sonic? Who showed you? Son You tell me right now? Anyway, Sonic blitz trademark. All right, people just sent me this. Let's let's dive into this real quick. Forget E three. The ESA is back with a new video game conference for change makers. Oh no, this is from Chris Kerr at gamedeveloper dot com. Let me first accept the cookies. There we go. The ESA, organizer of the once revered but now dead E three Showcase, is returning to the event fold with the Interactive Innovation Conference or i icon econicon. Have fun with that one. A conference is being pitched as an essential convening for change makers across the industries, but will seemingly focus on those careening through the world of video games. It will take place at the Fontaine Blue Resort in Las Vegas from April twenty seventh through April thirtieth, twenty twenty six, and they're inviting big players from around the industry. A number of high profile companies from the games industry have already confirmed their attendance, including Amazon Games, Disney Electronic Arts, Epic Games, Microsoft, Nintendo of America, Sony Interactive Entertainment, Square Enix, Take to Interactive, You Be Soft, and Warner Brothers Games. The s a A claims Icon will unite a broad spectrum of sectors that converge with interactive entertainment. We're going to Vegas, Jan I'm sorry, are we going to Vegas? Jerome, Hey baby, Jerome will treat you right, Yeah, as you were.
Speaker 2: I need everyone to uh pull up the news story that Grub is reading, but I need you to put up the song from Jaden Smith called Icon with Will Smith featured on it, because I just as I'm hearing you say all those things, Grub, it just feels like nonsense and I'm being sold fish oil. But I am or snake oil. Sorry, fish oil is actually good for snake oil. And you know what, I've thrown the sunglasses on grub. I'm a pop my collar, I'm a light of cigarette, and we're all in.
Speaker 1: Baby, we're the.
Speaker 2: Big change makers coming in.
Speaker 1: Oh shit, change makers, right, that's what it's all about.
Speaker 2: I was talking earlier this week. I think last week maybe that I want to like maybe get out there and host more things ESA. Let me do it, Let me do it.
Speaker 1: Oh shit. I always played me and micro on that last D three we helped kill E three. They had a game games Beat Decided. Yeah, games Beat Decides. It was known then do like an hour long special for them that they just threw into the middle. It was terrible. So I got connections for you. I can get you connected up with the ESA. Yeah. Okay, So they're not promising a replacement of E three. They are shifting from La to Vegas. That's honestly a good idea. So much more room in Vegas to do stuff like this, not that they need a lot of space, but it will also be much cheaper. There's a lot of reasons Vegas is better, other than having to be in Vegas, which some people see as a negative. I think for us, we're gonna we're gonna just paint that town red. It's gonna be done. It'll be a good time. But I don't know what are they actually trying to accomplish here. I guess having a bunch of companies confirmed to be involved, but in what way. I don't like Nintendo says they're involved, Sony's involved. They're not going to have like a Nintendo direct at this thing right like they have in the past three three.
Speaker 2: Right, this this feels like a step lower than perhaps like a how a GDC is where there's not going to be major, big announcements coming to this. Everyone is already on like the cycle to prepare for the summer in the winter with like Akille's summer birthday, Achille's winter birthday. That why fludge with a cycle? Now? I don't think they're going to have a booth prepared for this. Maybe they'll just be there to take appointments and right out of buffet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this feels like Shadowy three exclusively, which is maybe the one thing that was most necessary to continue existing in some way. So I wonder if these companies I went to them, like, hey, we want your dues, but what do you want from us? And these comments? All right, I guess we'll keep giving you money, but can you please just make some way for us to connect with each other in a way that makes sense. We don't need shooting, we don't need a billion dollars spent on getting a bunch of people to fly out to LA. Just give us some way for us to convene. And that seems to be what this is all about.
Speaker 2: I mean, there is a utility aspect, right of, like all of these developers and publishers getting together in one location and being able to mingle, network and just shoot the shit. And maybe that is what the essay is going to facilitate. Having it happen in Vegas just seems makes it sound skeasier.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I think it's fully admitting how skezy it is.
Speaker 2: Yes, I'm all for it, though, Lexi, you were young, You were young. Do not question Vegas. You need to welcome Vegas as a magical play.
Speaker 1: You need to be brave enough for Vegas and then and then then you can fully assess America and the video game industry. And then I got a perfect time for you to do both of those things all at once. Go ahead, jam what.
Speaker 2: To Las Vegas two years ago? Grub uh huh. I didn't want to leave. I did not want to leave. And it's not because of the gambling everyone, No, it's the shows. Yeah. Where else am I going to see the Blue Man Group? Angel?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, okay, never mind, there's only one cross Angel, the mind freak. April is around the time when they do WrestleMania, right, that's always when they do WrestleMania is April. I wonder if there's a chance that these could ever be back to back events or even like the same weekend that it's okay the week before, says Dan. It okay, it's yeah, April nineteenth and twentieth this year. I know they try to do different cities, but they've been doing a lot of the stuff in the same cities recently, so I wonder if there's a chance that we could ever they come back to Vegas relatively soon, and then hey, change makers and superstars together in one city at one time. I want to see it. All Right, let's get over here to the poll question. I have that too, ready to do mostly nope, I just turned on Bomberman Music instead there we go. Okay, yeah, that was my bad.
Speaker 2: Okay, there is that, yes, Dan, they still do avin.
Speaker 1: Yep, and maybe we can have all three at one time, the trifecta, the real Cerberus, the real Cerberus. That's the three headed demon right there. All right, do you think Halo the Master Chief Collection will come out on a Nintendo switch to? Yes or no? Seventy nine percent say yes, twenty one percent say no. A lot of people are just like this one feels so obvious at this point, to the point, I think a lot of people are expecting something Halo to be announced at like the April second event where it's like, no, Halo the Master Chief Collection will just be on switch to at launch. That that aggressive. So people are very much over like it happened, you know, it happens quickly, all at once, after several years of pain of people been like will they ever do this? And here we are kind of it all happening at once. All right, I have a new poll question. We'll get to that here in a second. While we get that set up. Jianachoa, what do we have happening on Giant bomb dot com?
Speaker 2: Later today, we will have an episode of Voicemail Dump Truck with special guest John Warren. Also, I think several of us are tagging out and it is just gonna be our dear coworker Jeff Backlar with Lucy James, Nikki Grayson, and I guess John Warren. Tomorrow we're gonna have another episode of Games Warnings as well as the Power Bomb Cast tomorrow taking place instead of BCR And then we're gonna try and do some type of upf type of jazz Delio.
Speaker 1: Yep, looking forward to it. We'll figure all that stuff out. Yeah, if you are looking for something to watch right now, we have some fun with Puck. It was a good time.
Speaker 2: Oh the finale of Blike Club finale of Blike clubs day Yep, that's right.
Speaker 1: So I am preparing myself to play some bad N sixty four game, as if such a thing could possibly exist. I'm getting that all set up once my retro tinkets here. Honestly, that might take a little bit longer in the week. I might have to actually get something else in the meantime, at least for the first episode, so we'll see just a cheap thing off of Amazon. But yeah, looking forward to that. Starting up next week. In the meantime, though, Janet Chow, thank you so much for hanging out with me and talking about video games. Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: It's the only way to start a Thursday grow.
Speaker 1: I don't think I did the new pole question, what do you want most from? A new Castlelvania, a new two D Caslvania or a three D triple a blockbuster Castlevania. Go vote now YouTube dot com slash at Giant Bomb there on the community tab. Thank you all for listening and watching. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.