Speaker 1: Oh my god, survival he hit him.
Speaker 2: This goes on for a while.
Speaker 3: Call mea kill joy, but I think that because this is not to my taste, no one else should be able to enjoy it.
Speaker 4: Fourfinger Discount dude.
Speaker 5: Welcome to four figure Discount, where this week we are reviewing episode three of season twenty one. It is a great wife Hope. I'm Dando and I am guy. He is Welcome to the podcast that never taps out.
Speaker 2: It never does. Indeed, we felt like it from time to time. Oh yeah, it is a podcast. Work can be hard relatively early on a Wednesday morning, it's actually no, I'm I'm feeling pumped. I feeling supernatural to supernatural Tuesday, even though it's a Wednesday.
Speaker 5: I was telling you yesterday that I'm eating better, at exercising more and just getting extra sleep. But I was saying to you the big thing for me was I was drinking too much Pepsi max. And even though it's no sugar Pepsi max, it's still syrup in water. Of course it's not good for you. So now I'm just drinking a lot more water, and it's like, oh shit, whatever everything they always said to you, good foods healthy diet and water.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, you do have to maintain that for an ongoing kind of period for it to actually have those positive effects.
Speaker 5: But but we're getting there baby steps, of course, yeah, of course, of course.
Speaker 2: I mean I've said this to you many times. I mean I relapse all the time, but every once in a while I was sort of go on a bit of a kick like, oh yeah, eating better, moving the body, hydrating. Wow, they actually do work.
Speaker 5: Yes, indeed, Well, thank you to everyone who was watching us on YouTube right now watching us, make sure you give us a subscribe, give us a thumbs up, and come and blow and tell us what you think of the review you're about to hear of the Great Wife.
Speaker 2: Hope.
Speaker 5: Now, as an MMA fan or not anymore, I've gone way from now becoming a dad. You can't watch you see around with the kids. It's just when I was a teen, like say, late teens, early twenties, UFC was a big deal. And when this episode aired back in two thousand and nine, I was a big MMA fan from say seven to so maybe eleven. That's when I was a really big run into MA. It's when it was really starting to hit its peak and I thought this episode did a good job of doing satire on UFC or MMA in general. But also it didn't. It wasn't quite realistic, not that realistic satire should be realistic. But iatched it and enjoyed it, and then I listened, I've read what Dana White, the owner of UFC said, or the CEO did you already said on Wikipedia why he didn't like it? So he wrote, well, he said the president of the president issues and you know, the president of Ultimate Fighting Championship. He told reporters that he when the episode aired that he did not like the episode. He added, people like the MMA media always try to tell me what that were mainstream. Did you see that Simpsons episode. Chuck Ladale, who's in the episode, he was a big start at the time. He signs an autograph for somebody and he says that'll be forty five dollars. He actually says twenty five dollars. That'll be forty five dollars please. The sport doesn't like that at all. Then the promoter of the show fights Marge Simpson and the octagne sucker punches are in the face and then says, you're the only woman I've ever hit that I didn't love that's the way mainstream looks at us and thinks of us. And you know that, Oh it's got a good point because I know the being the women's side of things. It's like, that's one story, but just the whole the promoter getting into the octagone to fight March, that's more pro wrestling. And I did read that he was more of a portrayal of Vince McMahon as opposed to Dana White. So I think they kind of got the world's a bit blurred there.
Speaker 2: It does sound that way, and I think there was probably a bit of a conflation of all those things. Yeah, saying I think any sort of contextport, any violent contextport was generally regarded as you know, all of one piece, whether it was boxing, wrestling, or in even though the three things are sort of completely different and seem to have completely different cultures in a lot of ways. So yeah, look, White's got a point.
Speaker 5: I guess there's a lot different now because I feel like you, back in two thousand and nine, that was a very valid statement. UFC was trying to very much still steer clear of we are not pro wrestling, we are the opposite.
Speaker 2: Were more real.
Speaker 5: Well, that's the thing where I feel like in twenty twenty five, you're watching it and combat sports have become a gimmick. We've got Mike Tyson coming out of retirement, Jake Balls fighting whoever he wants to fight. Isn't it kind of agregor didn't he fight Mayweather? That I vaguely recall that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it seemed boxing in particularly has become very gimmicky. Yeah, boxing was seemingly dying on the vin Unfortunately, it seemed like UFC and MMA was really taking its spot. At no one watched boxing anymore my age at the time, when I was early twenties. Well, and I think Tyson's the one who said he was the one who actually sort of gave Jake Baulls the one who boxes, right Logan the wrestler.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're doing well for themselves, man. Yeah, they appreciate the hustle at least. Yeah, I guess, so you can do that.
Speaker 2: The wrestling, she's genuinely good at it.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: Look, they're putting in the hours, there's no two ways about that. And the Yeah, the master market, there's good. More power to them for that, I guess. But yeah, Tyson is certainly one who said he gave Jake Paul his props because you know, he's getting eyes on boxing again because MMA was very much taking spot and so and succeeding boxing as the premiere sort of punching sport. I guess, you know, wrestling feels very much like its own thing in its own corner. It's more sports entertainment than sport. Your miles made vary on that when you know, when, depending on how you feel about it, they're athletes, but it's a pantomime. Oh yeah, certainly, you know it's got all these storylines and everything like that. All sports have their storylines. But yeah, wrestling feels very much in that in that way. Look, yeah, as I said, why it's got a point, I guess. I mean I'm not as well versed in MMA as you are. I was really surprised. Not long ago, a group of friends and I went out. We were going to watch the Cats play at some.
Speaker 5: Bar intent which is, for those who unaware, a local Australians football team.
Speaker 2: We weren't actually just going to go watch kittens, although that it would be much bad, that was like, can we just did that? Guards everyone can enjoy that. We end up going to a local bar in town, a sports bar, and it was all MMA all the time. It was on every screen. One of our friends used to be a cop now he works as a prison officer and he was like, there's bad vibes and he were leaving because yeah, he was just like this honestly could go from the screen to real life any second. I felt like that.
Speaker 5: We have a local venue called the Sporting Globe here in Geelong and we used to frequent it all the time. He used to like it and then UFC, paper, Vistakeet and bigger and he'd go there on a Sunday and it's just a bunch of young dudes with neck tattoo's just big on everywhere, screaming and came and like, oh, I mean they're getting old or is this just doesn't feel safe?
Speaker 2: Well, the first thing, yeah, the risk of putting a Cai bosh on a sponsorship. It was the Sporting Clock that we left quite immediately. Now we went to another place that also had big screens a lot of sport being on and they eventually switched over the football. But when we got there it was all MMA and I'm like, it's the it's these sport now for young people. Yeah. Yeah, having said that, I mean, look, maybe I'm just old, maybe out of touch, he says, maybe, I don't think I could name check any sort of premiere. In MMA Final, there's Colin McGregor. I guess he's the most high profile.
Speaker 5: Back when this episode aired, though, they were big names. But also I think I've just gotten out of touch with the with the with the with MMA in itself. But it did feel at this point in time two thousand and nine that the big stars of the UFC UFC sorry sorry, were mainstream stars and people knew who Chuck Ladell was and Rampage Jackson. Because they were they felt bigger than what they also the UFC. Now, is this the problem with sport in general is it's very diblute to there is just so much of everything. Well, so like cricket, for example, there's just so much cricket going on. Obviously there's big stars of cricket, but it's hard to keep up with everything.
Speaker 2: Well that's true. I mean, look, I was never a cricket guy, for instance, but growing up it's like, oh, I know who Dennis Lily is, I know who Rod marsh is. Look at the history books kids there. But I mean these were Jeff Thompson. These were like Australian heroes, whereas now it's like, I guess there's Pack Cummings. Pack Comings is a his huge star. Man, you doesn't watch cricket anymore, but yeah, he's the one that I know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, there's no it doesn't know there's any Warnings anymore, that's true. Yeah, so who transcends the sport? My Pack Commings is a huge star. But if I said to my mom, who's Pack coming, she'd probably go, I've heard the name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but she.
Speaker 5: Doesn't watched cricket, you know where my mom would know who Shane Warned because everyone just knew who Shane war was. Yeah, America listeners are going, who the hall of Shane warn.
Speaker 2: He's like Cricket's Tom Brady.
Speaker 5: Yeahah exactly, so rest in Peace warning, Yes exactly. But yeah, so this episode here we had this the MMA vibe. It was nice seeing them take them Mickey, I guess out of something that felt relevant at the time, and I thought it did a pretty good job. Dana white Wood, he said, aside, I do think the story served us purpose. I think They did a good job with Marge being able to kick ass but also stay true to herself. Yeah, even though we've kind of seen these stories before, So Itchy and Scratchy versus Marge with season two, that's where she wants to take down the tune show. That's pretty much what this is. I want to take down. If I don't enjoy it, no one il should be able to.
Speaker 2: It's all. It's all summed up in the line call me a kill joy. But because this is not to my taste, no one else should be able to enjoy it. It was my favorite moments. I thought was a good line. One of my favorite moments as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and that was very much the Itchy and Scratchy versus March episode from season two. Then we have like the Homer Day four which we reviewed with Cool Cabanna, fellow pro wrestler, the Homer boxing episode where it's just a very similar thing where it's a big fight built up. The family are worried about March in this one, Homer and that one and something saved the day blah blah blah blah. At least in that one there Homer gets rescued, March wins essentially, he sure, it's a motherly love that sort of is the saving grace and.
Speaker 2: Mama bear instant. You always hear those stories about ripperdor for car or yeah, it's like, oh much, I was trapped on a car and I found the strength to lift the car.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, so, and I thought it was a good job. Was just that final scene as ridiculous as I was that the owner of this sport was going to be in the octagon and everyone's just cheering it.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I mean you're very part wrestling. You mentioned Dana White though as well. I mean, was he previously a fighter? Never? He's never been.
Speaker 5: He's never. I mean he's ripped and stuff, like, he looks like a big guy, it's fit, but he's not. He's never been a fighter. He's never He's deliberately said, I'm never going to be Evince McMahon in that rega. I'm not going to be going I'm the star.
Speaker 2: That's probably a good lesson to live by.
Speaker 5: But he's also done some bashit in his life there and White but whatever you want to say about that. But the thing is, he's not going to be on the poster. He's he's not Baty, Bob, Daniel whe or whatever. But it's not He's not going to be Dana White versus anybody. Probably wise on hundred percent, you can't take the sport seriously if you're not gonna be putting serious competitors in the ring.
Speaker 2: I think it wanted to take I think from very early on, this is a sport that wanted to be regarded as a as a sports, as more sport than entertainment.
Speaker 5: Do you know how it kicked off? You've c so it'd been around for a long time, and I remember it used to be very basic, right and throughout the nineties, it was just like, what is this ultimate fighting Championship?
Speaker 2: For mine? It was always kind of like, because I'm viewing light through the lens of pop culture, and you'd see a lot of B movies where it's like like, you know, oh, they're fighting in the octagon, but it was al always very underground. It was always like you'd have a boxer who killed someone in the ring or something. It's like, couldn't get real fights anymore, so we had to go fight underground in the octagon or something.
Speaker 5: They took the mickey out of it in Friends as well. One of Monica's boyfriends, John Favreu, Yeah, want to start. He wants to be an Ultimate Fighting I want to be an Ultimate Fighter.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, and it had it had that sort of not necessarily outlaw cash. It was. It was more hardcore. Yeah, it's like, sure, you can box, but that's I'm being very dismissive, and yeah it's boxing, you got rules, you know, this is about survival of the fitter. It felt more primal. Yeah yeah, and look I may be mistaken that, but yeah, you're right in that, friends, and that's something that certainly helped, I won't say necessarily bring it into the mainstream, but give it a little more prominence.
Speaker 5: What it was that kicked it off was that when I was in my teens, this show called The Ultimate Fighter started, which when reality shows were just sort of fresh, and it was just you know, they they it was so genius. I'm pretty sure Dana what was the man behind it. But basically they would have two teams competing that a professional fighter who's like the captain and whatever, and the other professional fighter. He picked his team and they would train these guys up. But they would create personalities because you get to know them because it's a reality show. So and then the winners of the UFS of these shows were going to the UFC, and that's how they formed relationships with the viewer and they turned these unknowns into stars. Where now there's just so much content. Where we all sat down and watched this one show that The Ultimate Fighter, so we all got to know the same people. Now there's just so much content to put out there. It's hard to keep tracking for your favorites and what nott of thing. But the Ultimate Fighter reality series, that is what spawned the UFC into what it is today, which.
Speaker 2: Is pretty savvy. What similar to is it Drive to Survive? What's the way? Yeah? The Formula one one? Yeah? Well yeah, I mean everyone says that. Now that's the one that really brought it. Every One was always popular, of course, but this really mainstream Yeah made it cool.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because all my mates or suddenly playing F one on the play session, I was like, you guys have never been interested in cars? Have you seen Drive to Survive? I'm like, oh, it's the Ultimate Fighter, but in car form likewise, I mean, yeah, Netflix, the Netflix effect has been incredible in a lot of ways.
Speaker 2: I mean, whether it was full swing with goal for it was a break point the tennis one. Yeah, because they know the break point actually got me more into tennis. I mean, of course I knew it, I knew it existed.
Speaker 5: But how many how many tennis players did you know before watching that? And now did you know after?
Speaker 2: Which? Yeah, you know what I mean. He gets even in the Brad Pitt movie F one, Yeah, I think you have a character name check and said like, oh yeah, I watched her up to Survive. I know what's going on.
Speaker 5: So yeah, because yeah, it became the cool thing. But I just thought, yeah, they did a good job of Marge getting to kick ass. He was still say true to herself. But I was not surprised that Carolyn Amine.
Speaker 2: Wrote this episode go Sound.
Speaker 5: I was like, ah, now, I know. It does feel like a very Carolyn Amine episode. She's very good at Tally March stories and particularly the relationship with Marge and Bart and being a mother herself. A lot of her best episodes are ones where Marge and but have some sort of like disagreement or whether she's just he's doing something for her or she's doing something for him, and in this episode, it was she trying to do something for the kids. So I'm trying to get rid of the UFC because she wants to have a safer future for them, but as a result of her love for Bart, that is what drives her to success of course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he my favorite.
Speaker 5: Yeah, favorite moments in the episode. You mentioned one before you're quote necessactly it's the first thing I call me the children. But I think that this is since this is not my taste, no one el should be able to enjoy it. That you can apply that approach to nearly everybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's really clever by Caroline as well in writing that line. If it actually is hers, I mean, you know, as we've always said, Yeah, it goes to the room. Everyone has the two cents to the.
Speaker 5: Potter that that feels like a line though that was from the beginning. Yeah, it's good sort of having it both ways as well, because it does it indicates a slight level of self righteousness, not necessarily hypocrisy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Fox had its issues back in the early days, the Fox Network, Children with Mary Children all that. You know, I had people writing letters saying you should not advertise in the show because it sucks, Like okay, just because you thinks it sucks. I mean, other people really enjoying it.
Speaker 5: I find it with Friends, right, I was. I liked watching Friends with my mother when I was younger than I sort of out grow Friends.
Speaker 2: It wasn't I wasn't cool.
Speaker 5: I was like, I'm not watching Friends, I'm watching sign Fund, I'm watching something else. Right, And now I tell people I'm doing a Friends podcast, and it's either there's only two responses.
Speaker 2: To that statement.
Speaker 5: I do a Friends podcast with my wife. I love Friends. Oh god, I can't stand Friends. And the people who say, god, how could you watch that?
Speaker 2: It's but the people who are saying are they saying can't stand it because they think it's naff or uncool or because they're offended by a certain ninety stereot.
Speaker 5: And that's not that, it's just that they don't find it funny. It's so stupid, it's so it's ridiculous. It say its bottle of the barrel comedy, and I'm like, in some ways I watch it, I go, this is very cliche, stereotypical comedy, right, very mainstream. It's also the very most successful sitcom of all time, arguably, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of a shortcut to thinking that those people. A lot of people do tell that approach.
Speaker 5: Like I said, whenever I say we do a Friends podcast, oh god, I can't stand friends. It's oh I love friends. There's no my friends is all right? It's always love or hate.
Speaker 2: Look, I'm not I'm certainly not going to be doing a Friends podcast. I'm not that much of a super fan of it. But I mean, you'd have to be some kind of idiot recognized this is actually very well made, mainstream sitcom.
Speaker 5: And that's what I was one of those people. I'm like, I'm not watching Friends right where I now watching it? When the podcast we do with Nicola, check it out. It's also averb on our YouTube channel now film in the show. But Nikola, she is a super fan. She loves Friends ever since I've known, and she's just been not the number one Friends fan. I take the approach of I more appreciate what I'm what I'm seeing here. I'm like, I can I sort of review the way it's put together. When Nicola's like, how funny are the jokes, I'm like, you see the way Matthew Perry set it up?
Speaker 2: Though, you know?
Speaker 5: And also Friends, I find I be a friends podcast, but if a tease but Friends, I find was actually very much ahead of the times when it comes to things of talking about gay weddings and that kind of stuff and sex when it comes to women's sex life, putting it out there and not even trying to say, oh, women can have sex too, just normalizing it. Sure, this is women, women have sex too.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 5: It's not it's not oh, how great is it that women having sex. It's just a women just having sex and they've got a sex life, and it's like, oh, this is just this is life. Yeah, I'm being very impressed with Friends so far. But yeah, again impressed with Carolyn Mean. I think she does a great job. I think she's arguably my favorite Simpsons writer. I always enjoy and I never read who the writers before we watch the new ones, but I want to go in with that. And then when I saw it, I was like, this did feel like a I did enjoy this. I think being someone who lived through and was a fan of UFC at the time, I appreciated the satire as well. I know you were never really an MA fan, so I'm not sure whether this would have appealed to you much.
Speaker 2: But I was like, oh, shit had done. I was more like, how did I not know there was a UFC episode of The Simpsons? Yeah? No, well yeah, I certainly didn't mean And like I said, I'm I'm not the hugest MMA fan or you're certainly UFC fan. I mean, I guess I'm finding hard to differentiate the two mixed martial artists.
Speaker 5: Of course, it's fort UFC is the company, the company, but they've done the same thing. When people say do you watch WWE, they mean do you watch Restlingly.
Speaker 2: Yes, other things that I enjoyed. However, I thought this was a good visual gag. All the bullies are lined up, they've got kill written on database, gets in front, skill right, got the S written on his chest, and because they give him a little beat down, I guess the rest of them kids are going, oh that's ill. So yeah, I thought that was a good visual gag.
Speaker 5: Nights on her part, I liked when they were protesting at the front home as five six, who's got tick? Seven Eighth's that?
Speaker 2: Nat? I like? Yeah? And I like that Scalper guy. You reminded me of sort of like a Latino wise guy. One thing.
Speaker 5: Also just want to touch before we finish Our favorite moments is I liked how the family were continuing to support Marge through this, and they were taking the seriousness of the situation, like to another level when to get they're going, well, we can't stop it from doing it, but please just be careful or we're going to help her. They're worry made us take the seriousness of the situation seriously.
Speaker 2: Sure, you know what I mean? Yeah? Yeah, um. Other things I enjoyed just a nice throw away gig about if Gandhi could not eat for a whole three hour movie? Nice one. What's the gag there? Tell the people at home? Oh, well, my home. As Gandhi was a great civil rights leader in India, known for his hunger strikes and his you know, civil disobetings and norm that comes up. There was of course a big ass three hour movie about Gandhi who played Ben Ben Kingsley and Kingsley. Okay, indeed, yeah, he didn't need for a whole three movie back to He went a lot longer than that.
Speaker 5: But people do struggle to not eat during a movie. It's like it's impossible, that is true.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to remember the last time I actually went to a movie without snacks more like Beatsleigh shove that was good. I'm a sucker for a good word. I like that woman has natural breasts. This can't be good. And reverring to Marge as a mom, I'd like to fight. Yes, yeah, that's good. Yeah, good lie, any any of us you enjoyed?
Speaker 5: I like Lisa when she says this goes against every feminist bone in my body. But day, can you control your woman? And just Tatum ordering food? So he orders Gazelle's and would be some more and then he wants a two litered cherry Cola or something on those lines.
Speaker 2: Only got one leader.
Speaker 5: Have you ever gone to a fast food restaurant or caught up your favorite place and you've always got what you want? You wret a certain meal, certain drink, whatever, And it's one of the things I haven't got for me. It almost like throws It's like, what's the point, It just throws the whole meal out, Like have you gone? Have you had that situation?
Speaker 2: Not for me.
Speaker 5: It used to be when we're younger, like you know, two in the morning, we go, let's go to max this and get a mcflurry and we get them. I have a cheesebaking meal and a mcflury. I'm mcflurry Machin's not working. It's like, well, what's the fucking point?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that's the end of the caviare certainly, and it's usually applies to macis as well, because it means, you know, I'm a sucker for an apple pie and we don't have any apple pies we can give you like this, I don't want that. Ye why is it even on the menu? What is the point? Yeah? I appreciated that.
Speaker 5: This show is brought to you by the four Finger Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, Tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Seiefeld, The One About Friends, and so much more. So go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com slash four finger Discount.
Speaker 2: Next question, you there eating the trivia time, mister Davis Trivia Duran. Your first question, how many pages of pawn did March you have to go through? Because she got too crazy? Bowling? First question, it's ninety seven thousand. There we go. My limits had about like four thousand. What's it just poured out? Oh no, I've got I've got the endless capacity. Okay, your first question, well that was my first.
Speaker 5: My second one is what tattoos has Drederic Tatum got on his chest?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I can't remember all of them. Certainly one of them was that was it the New Testament or the Holy Bible, Lord's prayer, Lord's prayer? Scooby do, Scooby doo. Yeah, And there was my there were.
Speaker 5: My skull, Hiroshima, the bomb going off? And Obama. Now there's a lot of few political gags in here, but they said they called Joe Biden a jackass. Yes, indeed, Obama's got of Biden. And they mentioned that the George Bush's name won't be mentioned anymore. Yahd YadA YadA. As she's going, I can't recall the last time I saw a Simpsons episode where they took the mickey out of Obama or Biden or anyone in the Democratic Party.
Speaker 2: Very very political, and this this episode, I mean, this one one of my favorite moments. And I was going to talk about it a bit later. But talking about Oh, I feel like I'm just like back in the Roman Empire, except their RAMPI was falling a part. It's like, this is two thousand and nine. I think this episode came.
Speaker 5: Out like I will say, I thought Lenny and Karr, who got the characters back on track here, didn't feel like I mean, granted they were being sort of smamy, but it felt like they were being unnecessarily cruel for a while.
Speaker 2: Lennie and Karr that.
Speaker 5: It's like, it felt like they didn't for a good portion, not just Lennon and car a lot of the characters. It felt like, you never don't know what to do with these guys anymore. The Bullies were a good example. Remember it's like, ah, and it feels like they're finally twenty one at least, it's like, oh, they've finally worked out what to do with the end.
Speaker 2: You know what? We call that the Carolina mene. We do it be a mean air effect. My next question for you, what is the who are the two opponents on the fight card on the program that Bart is getting signed?
Speaker 5: Well, Chuck la Dale was a guy signing Isdell one of the names. No, no, okay, what is it? It's King versus Lopez Lopez. And here's the thing.
Speaker 2: When they go to the fight between everyone like the.
Speaker 5: Chet chet ele angle breash or something, it's angle brit but the subtis is angle brick, and then like, are going to going to no sorry, it says angle brick. I think on Disney Plus, on the Simpsons Wiki it says angle brick, but on Wikipedia sas angle Bridge. I'm gonna go angle brick because Simpsons Wiki is like run by a Simpsons.
Speaker 2: But the thing of it is when they later on when they have that fight, it's the same program. It's still got King and log So I one got viae Byre that blunder.
Speaker 5: And I think it was really cool about UFC back when I think it's still doing it. But every event was UFC number forty three, and it's like, I'm gonna watch the mall set. My final question for you is what is the name of the fight?
Speaker 2: I loved this name. Oh oh, when a man loves a woman? How good is that? That is good? My well, I got two more questions, let me choose. Okay, how long has Krusty been dating Sancho Mel's wife? Eleven years? Eleven years? Yeah, and the Spark's Gone, Teller is Gone. There were a couple of.
Speaker 5: Gags in this episode that I thought felt odd, and that was one of them. So I didn't really go anywhere, just sort of feeler the auto moment with a hacky sack as well. I was like, yeah, it just killed ten seconds, but it didn't really add anything the point.
Speaker 2: And look, you mentioned this line earlier. I'm not yet, not one hundred percent sure I feel about That's the first time I ever hit a woman I didn't love.
Speaker 5: It's pretty dark game, and I can see why Danel White would be annoyed by because you're betraying our fighters as women beings. Yeah, yeah, which some of them have proven to be the case. Was actually a video of Dana White slapping his wife.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I mean Caroline and certain a bit of stealth commentary in there. Yeah, oh god damn. Yeah.
Speaker 5: But again, though, as it was touching on earlier, you look at the audience for UFC, and I think people from the outside see those people and go, well, that's the kind of person that watches this stuff. You know, it's for those people.
Speaker 2: I've mentioned this movie in the past on various podcasts, but I mean the thing that's sort of not necessarily normalized UFC or m m A for me. But it came out I think a year or so. Lady. It's called Warrior. Oh yeah, yeah, we love that movie. I love that movie. It's like Wallburg. No, no, that's that's the Fighter. That's yeah. He's got Joel editd and Tom Hardy Yes, Tom Hardy. Yeah, these two brothers who are both MMA fighters and end up fighting each other ring. It's such a good movie.
Speaker 5: Before we get into our review though, of The Great Wife Hope, there are some people we need to give shots to and they are the Stonecutters.
Speaker 2: Indeed knockouts, every single one of them, including the Love the kdd G. She is a knockout.
Speaker 5: They did t k O. That's a top knockout. T k O is the company it now owns UFC. There you go what. I didn't even know that they owned w W w W as well. So ure seeing w w OW owned by the same company.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure Big Vanna all this consolidation, but you know, it is what it is. It is what it is. Indeed, feel free to buy us out. More people who we do love are these people.
Speaker 5: Glen Gomez Justin Parker, Zach Pruitt, Shanny Macha, Elliot, j O'Neil, Isabella Murphy, Reached Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sean d V. Pete Anderson, Timothy Burlson, Andrew Davis, Kevin Dazel, Planned Flood of Bello, winder Bane, Jack McFadden, Heath Apple, be Adriam McLeod, March, Levan Ginger and Pickle Preston Murray, Talia Enriquez, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan By, James Shepherd, Joe Ridden, Sect, Dave Pretzels McNally, Gavinlange, Dammy Miller, Charlie Joe and Abigail b Sharp Carter. Incredible people, you bet you yes, well matter breath. But we're going to be getting into our review now of The Great Wife Hope, which originally aired October eleventh, two thousand and nine. The top three films at the US box office at this time number three, Cloudy with a Chance, Meatballs still up there, Zombie Lands still.
Speaker 2: Up there, and Couples Retreat is number one. Can you believe Couple's Retreat was number one at the US box office. I'm struggling to remember, and I think it's what like Jason Bateman, Vince Vaughn. I think John Average was definitely in the stick a fav gosh unified theory. One thing I did notice, so number four Paranormal Activity Climbing with a bullet. From nineteen to four, word of mouth spread about that film, and it was plus eleven hundred and seventy percent in box office takings in one week. Super spooky.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but cheap didn't cost anything to maybe fifteen thousand dollars.
Speaker 2: That's the most profitable movie of all time or something. It certainly's got to be up there. Yeah and d yeah, parable I'm treated to see where it gets. Number one. There's going to keep climbing. So the next week we'll find out.
Speaker 5: On the next season twenty one episode at production code Lab f one six, as we mentioned, written by Carolyn Amine, directed by Matthew Thorn, chucklate Belle stars as himself and Musha Walls. Is there to crapbubble and the chop ball gag I am not allergic to long division and the couchhagg was a repeat of the one from Take My Life Please, where it's a really long couch gag where they're chasing the couch around very in the space eventually to get it back. Yes, they had to kill two minutes. It was two minutes before the episode actually started. The episode kicks off with margin.
Speaker 2: Let's not forget the billboard. It's for the left um next run next right, Yes, sorry about that.
Speaker 5: They need to put the billboard gag on the wiki page otherwise I keep forgetting it. Sorry about that. But Marg and her friends are crazy bowling. She she has baking gloves on. Lwans there she's blindfolded, which seems right up her Rally, we have Sarah Wiggan with some snorkels, missus Ky some boxing gloves, and Beernice Hibbit with a straight jacket on.
Speaker 2: And Marge.
Speaker 5: Why does she the idea I should throw the pawns for crazy bowling, looking for women having fun or something. Yeah, girls having fun, girls having fun with something like that. And they look around and they notice that there's no men around. Sherry and Terry are bowling crazy cat lady's bowling her cats down and whatnot. And then we get even though it's I think it's Super Taco Tuesday or Nacho Chooesday, haven't had Nacho's for a long time they were my teenagey is my staple.
Speaker 2: So easy to make.
Speaker 5: Get a bag of free those some salser cheese on top in the microwave for two minutes.
Speaker 2: Done. That's that's step brothers nachos. You are wearing your step brothers. Yeah, but that's the team.
Speaker 5: It's like it's easy to make and you get professional natches. But it's like, now's your time for that three days cheese salsa go with a bit of sour cream on the side.
Speaker 2: No, I's to love making just supreme nachos. You know, how would you do it? Your layer of corn chips, You put a bit of quack on there, some cheese, get a bit of slicer on top of that, more layer of chips, get some refried beans, perhaps, but sour cream as well. Maybe. How old are you when you're making all this ship?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 2: Oh not long not long ago.
Speaker 5: I'm talking with teenagers like fourteen fifteen? Oh okay, fine, yeah, mates of a playing like all n on video games.
Speaker 2: I'm some re five beans. Yeah, everyone just goes, wow, Dan, I would have leed to.
Speaker 5: Be had salt and cheese, okay, but yeah that sounds delicious. Yeah, so it was really nice. Do you put them in the oven?
Speaker 2: And is that how you make it? Yes?
Speaker 5: Yeah, ok, yeah was the microwave job. So it'd be a bit soggy, but we like them soggy as well.
Speaker 2: Just delicious.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so good, but very bad for you. But yeah, So then we get cut to most. They think they're all gonna be at Mo's. No one's there. No one's at the baseballship skipping on the jukebox. Yeah, the baseball stadium. No one's at the baseball either. The kiss cam, the cats, the rats are police station, they're not there. Then no cops, be good. The science is on the door, and turns out they roll at the up k c C the Ultimate Punch, Kick and Choke Championship, which I guess you can't really callt UFC, can you. You've got to got to call it a parody name. I'm actually surprised I never actually just took I know they've had wrestling episodes, but just taking a direct mickey out of wrestling in general. When wrestling was at his peak. Wrestling it was at his peak, Stone Coll, Steve Os and the Rock and that.
Speaker 2: You feel like you to be right, would be right, But they never did it, but Willie and Sideho, Mel and Moe they're bonding over to shouting out ship from the crowd.
Speaker 5: That's what happens at sporting events. You just you don't know these guys, but just if you both for the same team, sure you just you bond over these things. The bullys have the kill written on there, so it's k I l L. You said, database rocks up with s makes it skill. Then the fighter I liked this little bait and switch, so you think he's gonna break someone's leg break and then he loses, and Homo says there's no better violence than stuff and flip the violence and pokes himself and the yell with a straw, but thanks him for bringing in. So I remember this day my deathbed, and Homah says, not everyone gets deathbed, but says, maybe I'll get shot by a punk trying to get into a gang, which I thought was just just there.
Speaker 2: They don't all land, No, they don't.
Speaker 5: Indeed, they're walking out Linny and Karl. This is what we were talking about earlier with the Roman Empire. So he says, three hours of half naked man fighting like animals. It's like Roman time, except that empire was falling apart then, but us the fighter, which Chuck ladal he comes out the back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, just not how it works. That's true. But they notice say, oh this is Chuck lad It's just a fighter. But it says he does he look like Chuck Late does, Yeah, Chuck l Dale. But then it says like Chuck Lade. Guest starts as himself and he doesn't go heyes, you've seen. It's like, hey, you're a fire to play someer thing. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Then I wonder if that was a thing that Dane, because Dana what he approves everything. I wondered because he's like, I don't know how he's going to go.
Speaker 2: Don't name him. You can be on it. It can look like you, but you're not to be named. It seems like I think there was a lot of ass covering. Yeah, ask him. Sure, could you sign my program a swear word?
Speaker 3: Yes, filthy but obscure with a subtle scatological undertone.
Speaker 2: Sure, no problem. Twenty five dollars please.
Speaker 3: Made it man boy, listen son, I know we saw some moreesome beatdoms tonight, but remember, don't try this at home. Do it at the schoolyard someplace where if you get hurt, we can sue not just them, but the school, the county, the state, and that Jack s Joe Biden.
Speaker 5: Do not try this at home, which used to be a thing when you watch the wrestling, because I think a guy, a boy like I think he killed his system and maybe seriously hurt her like doing a wrestling move chokes lam or something. I'm sure there's so many like chokeouts that the people have troll after UFC. Yeah for sure, because with wrestling it was like we do chokeslas love the easy one you pick up, slam them down or just like scoop slams, just like that. But when you had a trampoline, wrestling was so much fun and you can imagine, Yeah, kids not know the difference between I'm gonna I'm gonna make your tap and I'm gonna actually break your arm.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, kids are stupid, We know this. But I mean when I was a teenager, we just had so much sort of imprompt you wrestling at recess and lunchtime. And I was a smaller kid, so I mean I was barely getting thrown around. You should have been the heel manager. I know now from the set should have been wise guy would have been.
Speaker 5: But yes, I said, there's don't try this at home, only try in the schoolyard where we can sue everybody at the school and then the counsel whatever, including that jack ass Joe Biden, which is such a weird gag to hear in twenty twenty five, isn't Oh yeah, it's like he was he hadn't become vice president yet, but because I think they got sworn in November. This air in October, but everyone in American who Joe Biden was by this point because running mate with Obama.
Speaker 2: But it was just weird hearing that. The Simpsons of all shows talking down Yeah, but certainly the Onion at the time. They had a running gag about sort of renaming him Diamond Joe Biden and having him like this hustler even like Joe Quimby well yeah, yeah, I mean, but yeah, kind of like a bit of a grifter who was like riding on. Obama was very sort of straight up and down and his Diamond Joe going making sort of deals behind the scenes. Man else to just be a real sort of charmer, you know, like the real slickster. And yeah, come of the opposite one.
Speaker 5: And see what he said what he became. But yeah, between twenty four the finished last year twen twenty four sounds a bat around. Yeah, but he wasn't really really running.
Speaker 2: I know. It just feels like Djt's been running the show for goodness knows help, he's been just had a free living in Hedge run free for goodness knows. He and Biden was running the show. Never felt that he was running the show. It just felt like he was sort of a placeholder until ye, until until the down till this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but then we see Nelson. He's fighting Millhouse at school and Bart's next. He beats the crap out of Millhouse and milk. Bart's next, Ralph has used as the bell ding ding, and Marge just there to pick up Lisa's it's obviously after school because she's had to pick up Lisa.
Speaker 2: Where's your brother? I don't know, chasing ducks buried alive, He'll be messed. Let's move, I gotta collect pink aunt Ny Ny. Just follow the guys, Mam.
Speaker 5: I don't like lately they've had Lisa sort of be disinterested in the health of Bart or not even really care about his existence.
Speaker 2: And yeah, it was not a fan, but I was not a fan of the way Lisa sort of came across in this episode. I got to say she wasn't ended all that much, but you know, yeah, all the stuff she's saying in the car. He was kind of like, this doesn't feel very Lisa SIMPSONZK no no.
Speaker 5: And then here die Die Die, and I think, just just follow the die's mum, you'll find him. And Mark goes around the back and she sees Nelson is getting beaten up by Bart. Mart's actually defeating him. I'm glad your father's not here to see this, and he's there chewing. I thought I was quite good. It's almost like a home in the hedge Hud, who just sort of backs away, backs away. And then Bart admits that he's copying what he saw on Ultimate Punching and March's Ultimate makes everything worse than Otto says, not Ultimate Frisbee. I mean he's got a good point, sure, Ozmat Frisbee is for all of fun, but the gag should end it there. And then she goes, what have you got something to do with your hacky sack? And he's sort of it's hacky, right, hacky sack. I used to call a happy sack when I was a little I was like, that's not right, that's just like different kinds of sack. Yes, it is, indeed, but then you have see Otto fail with his hacky sack for like ten seconds and I'm going this didn't go anywhere.
Speaker 2: What was the point of this?
Speaker 5: And then she reminds and then she says she's gonna put a stop to this, and Nelson says, you can't put a stop to a sport without several other mothers, sympathetic school officials and clergymen placed the meat snacks. A phone tree is invaluable and Marge says, you know, you're really good and it's good knack for this, and he says he wants to be an event planner when he's older. You could plan Lisa's wedding. And I was like, what a random, yeah, random conversation. We come back from commercial and all the women from the first scene that were bowling, all the mothers are now watching you pay caccs are disgusted by it. And this is where Marge says that the line of the episode call me to kill a joy. But I think that since this is not to my taste. No one I should be able to enjoy it either, And that's just yet. You can just apply that to anything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, true, Look, it's a complicated one and I won't pretend I've got any answers when it comes to this, but I mean, yeah, part of me is kind of like, well, if you don't like it, don't watch it. But the other thing is, well, you know, if you're a mother or a parent or whatever, or you've got people that you're looking at for, it's like, yeah, but they may watch and they may take the wrong ideas with it. Next thing, you know, someone's body slam their little sister and she's ended.
Speaker 5: Up a quadriplegic Jerry Springer and you're watching twenty twenty five and you're like, holy shit, this was on television.
Speaker 2: Well true, Oh yeah, all the biggest loads or anything like that. Yeah, anything, yep. So Bart, then please don't do it. Don't do it. It's as fun for me as having kids. This for you.
Speaker 5: And then he asked me for help. Back me up, dad, and Homer says, ultimately punching his exploitive, violent, and a bad influence on our young people, and Bart smells chocolate on his on his breath. Someone a slice of black Forest cake. I love black Forest cherryke. We got both cherry cake. It was my favorite of all cakes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, black Forest ghetto delightful, so good.
Speaker 5: He says it wasn't just a piece, it was the whole cake, frosting like snow is for Bavarian Castle. So Marge has got Homer on her side now by baking him a cake.
Speaker 2: Just one of my favorite lines from this episode. You knew my one weakness that I'm weak. I'm weak. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Then they're protesting at the front. There's another up at uk C see whatever it is MMA event happening in Springfield. They're at the front with their one, two, three, four blah blah blah. Harmas is five six, who's got ticks?
Speaker 2: Seven?
Speaker 5: Eight ys that game. Marge then says, the only way to stop this is by thinking like one of these guys. So she asked for a ticket. The guy says, I'm not a scale, but I've just got.
Speaker 2: A two hundred friends. It didn't show up. They didn't showup. Didn't shad the buying a ticket.
Speaker 5: She goes in there and she sneaks into the cage, but before we get the women just instantly turning on Margine talking about it behind her back.
Speaker 2: That's right, yes, but now they're not calling it the octagon here. They're calling it the sceptagone, which is like a scept Well that'll be nine ring, which is weird because and I say it is seven yes, seven yeah, oh okay, because an octagon has eight sides, and I was thinking hexagon step to gone, yeah, octagon. Yeah. I think I was trying to correlate it to the months, you know, like I was thinking September because I had nine sides and octagon but has ten sides. But don't know, he's eight sides going on and what are we doing? I'm really confused. What's what's nine sides then?
Speaker 5: And non a gone? Of course it's not gone yes or November. It's actually a deck of it is the months, but it's just the wrong man aside. Yeah, that doesn't make it small only after a step ot none.
Speaker 2: If any if anyone knows why this is, get in the mail bag and let us or we got to eat very easily google it, but we'd like to know what you think about it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, she's so she's walking towards the septagon and up in the in the box we see for the first time the owner. We don't know his name yet. Chet's what we find out nurses march as natural breast, which can't be good. And she enters the cage as it closes, and she takes the mic. She says she won't rest until we tear down the septagon. And the blue head lawyer, who doesn't really sound the blue Head Lawyer anymore. It's still just become like a corporate shill kind of guy. He doesn't have such a wainmore.
Speaker 2: He's not breaking the super punks.
Speaker 5: No, not indeed, but he says that nobody tears down the sept the gun except the crew for tomorrow morning. Who because what's on tomorrow morning.
Speaker 2: It's they call it huffle puffs or something, huffle stuff half on the hulfle enough huffle stuff whatever, it's puffing stuff in everything but name go to see this. The world needs more hupuffer stuff. Well that's true. I would smoke a big jay and then go see it.
Speaker 5: Yes, check angle brick, he interrupts, and she asks him to go out of business and don't all your profits of charity, but check then agrees to a fight. There he says, look, if you're on an interfere, you won't take me down beat me in a fight. If you can actually defeat me in a fight, I will. I will do what you ask to.
Speaker 2: Quote the guy on your T shirt. This escalated quickly.
Speaker 5: It did the fact that she hasn't got to the sceptic in the first place. I was like, there is that this isn't happening. But so they're bickering here. She's like, I'm not going to fight you, and then he says, wait, you have to ask your husband, which is usually the other way around, you have to ask your wife. She finally agrees. We see the number one nag go on on the screen. She agrees to the fight. How it gets back from the candy bar? What did I miss nothing?
Speaker 2: Button?
Speaker 5: Homer now say to Margin you can't fight it. On their way home, you can't do it. He'll knock your block.
Speaker 2: Off, your beautiful block. Yeah.
Speaker 5: From this point on, Homer is very is a good version of Homer. So I all the craziest things I've done, this is the craziest and you're doing it. She says, it's bigger than her. The Guardian line as you meant know about the three hour movie. She thinks, you know, he probably probably go easy on me. Then she sees the promo video on the on the screen and she panics, it's just basically him just beat the shit of her, isn't it? Essentially yep, margin gets in shape with rhythmic or she's going to get into shape with rhythmic gymnastics, yes, which won't go well. The family we're watching from a window, very concerned, like, oh, she thinks this is going to work list as were saying earlier, it goes against every feminist bone in her body, but they can control your woman. And Marge then starts writing cutesy things with her ribbon and whatnot and just yeah, it's not gonna end well. She she has no idea what she's getting herself into. Basically no, no. Then Lenny and Carl say to home, because that is at most one one punches she with bedridden and all she moves her toe a really weird vision of her writing things with her foot, and it's like, you know, where's Maggie. I'm cold, I don't understand you. Where's my Wife's in there somewhere?
Speaker 2: I'm not sure if that's and I know if I mentioned this on the wiki or not. I'm wonder if it was a lot of reference to move from the lady that called my left foot? Have you ever heard of this one? I have not, no greatest living actor Daniel day Lewis. It's a true story based on this Irish painter and poet who I believe had cerebral pausing and could really only sort of control the only uh, he can only control his left fot but he painted like pictures with it and drew and wrote poems with this footnote this kind of stuff, and was like, oh this guy was the lost cause, Oh my god, this guy's actually an artist, but he can only control his left foot.
Speaker 5: Well that's a that's a very Golden era style gag. Then it's on a reference to something in pop culture by this point, which is like twenty five years old, and he watched his going Well that's just a home stupid hammer vision. But it's like if you know, you know, yeah, and now you know, yes, well played, Carl.
Speaker 3: Do you know heavyweight champ Drederick Tatum?
Speaker 1: What you think just because I'm black, I know all of the black people. Well, actually, Drederick and I are very good friends. We met through Dyke the Hibbit at a party of Bleeding Gove's Murphy's house. Well, mind, you have definitely come to the ray Crib. I'm always happy to impart my pugilistic prowess to a punching parbanell and a first le. I think we'll be to work the tattoos, Flaming Skull, Obama.
Speaker 2: Scooby Doo, Scooby Doo, Scooby Doo.
Speaker 1: Now work the Lord's prayer. I'm gonna order some lion food. Hello, Yeah, how you doing. I'd like to order two Goodzelles and Imparla and throw it a couple of world a beef oh, and a two leader bottle of diet Cherry Kohler. You just have one Leader bottles, Okay, cancel the whole order.
Speaker 5: This show is brought to you by the four Finger Discount Patreon, where you'll find over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts, including exclusive Simpsons reviews and commentaries, as well as exclusive episodes of Going Down to South Park, Tales of Futurama, Bob's Pods, Speaking of the Hill, Talking Seifeld, The One About Friends, and so much more so. Go ahead and join the family today at patreon dot com Slash four finger discount now at the Karate Center with Akira, who was not voiced by George de kah anymore.
Speaker 2: Okay, now I must write down here. It's like, okay, who's doing this karate teacher voice.
Speaker 5: It's Georgia Kahane the visional one fish, two fish, three fish, blowfish, Mohammad eyes eating the fugu fish. But now it's Hakazaria.
Speaker 2: Another crime. He's ragging, ragging up els. But I must have met. I did love it.
Speaker 5: Surprising move that was my favorite bet yees. So he's teaching her jiu jitsu and how to use the opponent's strength against themselves as well as using a bit off your own.
Speaker 2: But yeah, surprising move. Flips are over.
Speaker 5: Then he holds home her in the air he's trying to fly kick him, ties him up and ant pops ole of.
Speaker 2: Dis in his spine. Is he is?
Speaker 1: He?
Speaker 2: Okay? He feels no pain? Actould make England. He feels nothing, but it feels only pain.
Speaker 5: Now she's training with mister Burns. But's a very random thing. But like I had to payoff, which I liked at the end. So she's training with the Burns, who says, you know, I was once the New Haven nuisance, and I can buy this he was once. You know, I can buy mister Burns as being like that little piss hand who's just drove you insane, just mouth from the South. Just he'd be a good wrestling heel. Mister Burns, just the little little skinny guy. He climbs over her, says, I'm going to give you the beating of a lifetime. He thinks he's betting her up, but she's doing nothing to her. She says she's late for a PTA meeting. Cust to the PTA meeting and the skinner saying to save money with the following presidents, will no longer be taught. If you can and fillmore pierce bush Bush and he says, we stopped doing that custom Marche standing there, mister bed is still coming over. I thought, as silly as that is, as soon as his if I appreciate it. As for the payoff, yeah, then there's the following morning. Homer says, it's ten minutes ten the kids wake up. I was like, there's no gag here, this is just married life. Oh yeah, the kids are asleep quick lock the doors, but then Chet interrupts them with his crew says, tomorrow night, your bedroom will be the scepter gone, and slipping pills will be my punches. No one's questioned the fact that he's going to beating up a woman. That's it's kind of weird. But then she asked what book you reading, Eat, Pray, Love, which he says is what beat Slave shov Yes, And what do you think of the fireworks gag here?
Speaker 2: I liked it? Not too bad? Yes, too bad.
Speaker 5: The fireworks begin tomorrow and bang bang bang fireworks go off, and it's just the guy saying, oh, no, I'm sorry. I said tomorrow, I have trouble concentrating, and he starts talking again, Bang bang bang more fiveways go off.
Speaker 2: I want to backtrack a little bit. You're talking about a man beating up a woman and all that kind of stuff when a man gloves a woman. I think one thing that MMA was pretty effective in doing was mainstreaming the female involvement in it. Yeah yeah, I mean they sort of made it evident from the get guards like we're going to have male cards and female cards.
Speaker 5: And that's where I think they won the younger audience because they realized, oh ship, because you watched WWE and it's brawn pandies matches, mud wrestling matches. Oh yeah, and then you watch you have seen It's like, oh, these are legit women kicking the fuck out of each other.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. I mean, maybe the highest profile MMA fighter for a while was wrong to rouse.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well she broke them, she broke the mold. She went into acting as well. Oh absolutely, Yeah, she's not damn good at it. But yeah, but how many of them actually are. That's true when it comes to like wrestlers going into John scene is pretty good.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: When it comes to comedy, he's bad. The rock He's a perfectly fine action stuf.
Speaker 2: He's a very very charismatic not a bad actor. I haven't seen this movie with the smashing machine that no one's seen it. No, No, I feel bad for him. But no, I don't feel bad for him. I feel bad that people you know. Oh no, wow, what a flop. It's like, I don't think this was actually designed as a huge box office hit. I think it was designed more of a showcase to show that he can actually act. And he's getting very very positive reviews for his performance in it, even if it's not like a huge box office some.
Speaker 1: What do you call it.
Speaker 5: I don't think they expected it to lose this much, though, which is a shame because I want to see The Rock start acting. But the failure of this film, though, I don't think this dictates the future of his career. Oh and I don't think he can then go well, I can't do this anymore. So I don't think people don't want to go see the Rock. It's just more interested in this film. It wasn't really marketed that well either.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and quite frankly, it's a terrible title of Smashing Machine, but the title is taken from a documentary actually about Mark Kerr. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The shame is just you know, you get not original concept, but it's not a franchise, and these films aren't doing well.
Speaker 2: I would just hope that he would make better action movies as a result, because I mean I think everyone was like, oh my god, we've got al Schwarzenegger. Now, yeah, that was going to say it before, Yeah, except he just squandered it on these really shitty movies. What about the three for you? Like the three shitty movies for him? When I watched Black Adam. I was like, oh, this actually starting off not badly, but it just got bad by the end. Red One is garbage, and I.
Speaker 5: Can't believe Nickle and I went to the movies to watch that and we're halfway through them and going, what in the hell are we watching?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Maybe Red Notice, Well that's the Netflix one with Ryan Reynolds and Galga Dott. Jungle Credit was so good, I know, so red there's Red Notice, which is like a mission impossible. Yes, and then the other one, it was Red One is the Santo Yeah, yeah, yeah. I think it was a convergence of all those things. I think the movies weren't very good, and he's he was letting his public persona sort of gain traction as well. He was making a lot of money. They were a big successful Oh yeah yeah, but I think he started to it seemed like he was buying into his own hype. For me, it actually started around when he did that version of Baywatch, which was fucking terrible, god awful, but it was kind of like it was like a bandit a proge in a lot of ways. It was like, Oh, Rock, you're so funny, Oh you're so handsome, and it's like like he couldn't lose fights, and every joke he cracked was hilarious. I think one thing people liked about the Rock is that he was this big charismatic guy, big charismatic, confident guy who nonetheless had a slight degree of self deprecation about him. And even when he played it up like he did in the Fast and Furious movies, it was kind of like it was a big cartoonish but he started to take them a bit too seriously. That's where I think John Sender is succeeding. Oh yeah, absolutely, I think I think yeah, Seena looked at those took all the right lessons from that stuff.
Speaker 5: But we're back at school now, and now they're asking the bullies for advice behind the bleachers, and he says, I didn't get these knuckles from punching nothing of punch punching bags. And he punches the punching bag Keernie, and we hear a little sound inside. It turns out Martin's in there. It's my fault.
Speaker 2: I looked.
Speaker 5: I looked him in the eyes when he gave him, when I gave him my lunch money. Marches, you should tell you principle about this, I'm well aware of the situation. Also into the punching bag. Yeah, a lot of sort of short, sharp gags here. Marge is now in the arena just looking around, taking it all in, realizing her fate is about to come.
Speaker 2: Visually speaking, that's a nice shout it out to the first Rocky by the way, is it okay? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Lisa comes in to say it's not too late to back out and marshes if she fights, it'll be less violent.
Speaker 2: Word for you. So I've got to do this, and Home suggests maybe's stressed up as you. And that's a nice bit of work by Caroline and the riders as well. It's a nice sort of counterpoint to that whole thing that that gag that we were talking about one of our favorite lines about this is not my taste. No one should be able to enjoy it. This shows that she actually has a reason. If I can make the world less violent for the next generation, yeah, than good. It's not just you can't I disapprove. Yeah, so you can't either. Yeah, it's like she's got noble intentions even if you don't agree.
Speaker 5: And I also like here too that walks in dressed as March, and I was just going, oh, no, this isn't they going to really try this, are they?
Speaker 2: And it's like, no, they don't. They're not.
Speaker 5: Now Homer walks in just as March, saying I will replace you in the fight. No one or no doing that it is he's want to get doing that.
Speaker 2: I don't need it all anymore. What I wrote down is I wonder how Julie kay takes it when Dan c does March. I should love it. I imagine you'd love I don't think anyone's go Dan, is that what I sound like? But let's be twenty five probably has a better March quite frankly, but I'm just trying to imagine the first time that they actually did that, whether it was that gig that I just mentioned, was like I love you. Oh I don't need it anymore is my favorite. I'm just wondering if Julie Cabina would have gone, Is that what I sound like? I don't need it at all anymore.
Speaker 5: But then Moe walks in and says, I'm going to take it to my high school reunion, and he says, won't people be a bit bit about this? Last year took Barnes, you're going to be an upgrade, because Barney was just as March last year, clearly just still playing the march I mo Love's march gag. Now it's time for the fight, and they're all walking in, all the people mallards on it that Crusty invited him. He says, well, I just invited you because now it's allowed public spant can tell you that I'm dating your wife for the last eleven years, always says, break tell her I'm dumbing it because after eleven years the thriller's gone. Then the kids are strapping her up, strapping her wrisks and what not, ready for the fight. And Homas says, I can't stop you from this, but just stay out of his way and please make sure you don't get hurt, and Bart says, and mum, if you punch you in the junk, you'll get no disrespect from me. Then Lisa points out that's a Haiku poem. But there goes nowhere, What was the point of that joke? This is those few I'm like little bit fear filler gagss. Just while that happened, you know, well that happened. Then the bell rings and then weighing in that nobody needs to know that skip ahead. I thought it was quite funny. And then the moment I like to fight, it's Marge. And then he introduces Chet at one hundred and fifty pounds. Let's get ready to rumba and they he said, we've been ready for an hour.
Speaker 2: My car had trouble. Then Chet says he won't hurt her, and then he does.
Speaker 5: He's a dirty dog. He can't trust his check guy sucker punch. Yeh, he is definitely a pro wrestling manager. He's not he's not the UFC owner for sure. Then he ate, so he punches Marge.
Speaker 2: Now, having said that, you know, there's a there's a lot of thoughts like, well, if you get into the ring, you're gonna take the punches. Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 5: You know what you're getting yourself in for. But he said as I was saying, first time hit a woman that I didn't love, which is a very dark gag. Then we're watching the fight at Moe's and most like get back in your feet up, believing you. Bunny thinks he's talking to him. No, thank god. That pressures off, so Barney falls back down to the floor. Then Homer tries to save her, but he gets stuck in the chairs. He falls down the stairs and his head gets gender between two chairs, but then enters the septagon.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my mom, will you well, I'm going to knock you out and moon your corpse.
Speaker 1: He gop fight anyone except the man my own size.
Speaker 5: We get a shot he of Crusty cheering, Wigham cheering, and Moleman cheering, which was very reminiscent of two episodes so the Home are they fall when Home is about to beaten up and you see the crowd like cheering for it, and Lisa on ice when Lisa and bart On the on the hockey game and they're all sort of like they're about to fight, and you see like Chief Wigan was the coach like screaming out and mole Man's ship screaming from the we want blood and that kind of thing. I thought it was a little bit of a throwback to that. Then Marge says that she sees him picking up but that's my son. She runs over and just beats the shit out of him, and then he says, oh, she's about to make him tap And he says, she said, don't let me break your arm. He says, break out the lips, you can kiss my ass. And I was like, you could come back. And then at Moe's he points out a lot of people are talking. Oh no, I think's Lenny. A lot of people are talking. Now, No, Most says it. Most says a lot of talking in this fight for a professional fight. And then he says that's what happens when you fight a woman. I was like, all right, well, they're.
Speaker 2: Steering game and then they're steering out of the steir.
Speaker 5: He says, yeah. Then they break out the bumbones and watch General Hospital. But then the payoff in really good, really good, and he breaks out some bon bonds.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Then check gives up, but he doesn't actually tap. He says, you're better than me. Just turn your back on me and take a bow. And she's like, don't do it much, don't do it. And you think he's about to fly kicker. He's going towards her. Everyone's like, oh my god, home is look o my god. And she turns around, it calls his bluff fly kicking straight to the side of the face, knocks him out and she's the winner, and Marge says that you know she grabs the mic. I only agreed to do this because I wanted to stop the violence. The only thing I'm going to be fighting now is cold. There had no reference of a cold to this point. I was like, okay, But then they realize here that everybody has left because two drunk guys were fighting outside and home. I asked we can go as well, go watch the fight, and mars Shaws hope it. We go home for some mixed mixed marital art no holds barred. I was like, hot, diggity damn. But then child just leads it to a fight. They run in each other and we get a freeze frame ending credit start and then a bit of a Rocky three ending, but then come back Lisa just knocks me out and then that is the genuine ending of the episode. So yeah, I mean hid and miss a lot of this, but I overall, I thought it did a fine job of tackling MMA in Springfield.
Speaker 2: Let's call it a tea cat. It's a technical knockout episode.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, yeah, I mean it's not Carolyn Demine's best one, but I enjoyed it, said, I think I enjoyed this more going. It felt like a hidden jem for me, I like, you have seen this course? How did I not know this episode exists? I was like, ah, this was this was fine?
Speaker 2: Yeah, look I was certainly not disappointed by this episode. I mean, look, I think what we've Okay, we're only three episodes into season set in twenty three, so sorry, only three episodes into season twenty one. But i'ven't been let down by what we've seen so far. I think it's been Remember just the season starts strong, get back to in a few episodes going oh my god, this is always down theah.
Speaker 5: But the next one's tres of horror though, so we're gonna be right with that one. Crazy, Yes, next episode will be a tree house of horror. It is going to be twenty season twenty one. I'm going for that, though.
Speaker 2: What do we learn, Bomber, what'd you learn from episode? Mister Davis? What did I learn from this episode? That nothing? Being say surprising move?
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say this like that as well. Oh yeah, I learned to never settle for one liter of diet soda. Correct From this d forward, your names will be all right. It is now our time for the Guy Davis New Name Challenge for season twenty one. The current leaderboard stands at this In third position, we have a three way tie Justin Williams, Jack McFadden and Dave McNally all on one point. In second position we have Nathan Briggs on two points, and in first position we have the clever Man himself, Clever Kyle on four points.
Speaker 2: Take it away, Let's see how clever he is. But one point goes to Marge and in charge.
Speaker 5: Marge and in charge would be Nathan Briggs gets himself another point while done Briggsy three points now nice one.
Speaker 2: Two points goes to joke Hold. Joke Hold is Clevi Khaile with the two points there six I thought he was getting closed, but clever car is just strigging away with it. Three points goes to the Octomom.
Speaker 5: The Octomom is Phil Hawkins. He's back, Philip j Yes, but Phil Hawkins is back with the three points, which means he's outright not as joint second with Nathan Briggs on three points, and first position Kyl Muldoon on six.
Speaker 2: Never count him out, Never count him out. Indeed, I'll never tap out philm all right. That is our review of the Great Wife Hope.
Speaker 5: The next season twenty one episode we're gonna be reviewing is Treos of Horror twenty Now. I looked through which was a spooky season just in time of spooky season. I looked through what it was, and I remember when I was going through trying to catch up on all the Treots of Horror episodes, this was when it stood out to me I really liked. So I'm looking forward to reviewing that just in time for the spooky season. And I thought, you know, Treos of Horror, the latest one, thirty six airs this week, and maybe we can do another season thirty seven review, and did that one as well.
Speaker 2: Not a better you constantly coming up with the ideas.
Speaker 5: Indeed, so we throughout the last season thirty seven episode we did as a bonus for free to our supporters out there, we did the premier of season thirty seven. But the next one Horror will be a.
Speaker 2: Patreon exc you check up the price as if you need a better reason to be a patron of the Forefinger this gat.
Speaker 5: Network, indeed, but you also obviously get early in add free access to our entire back catalog of episodes, not just this show going down to south Park, the one of our Friends and so much more than One of our Friends is now back. If you have not checked it out, make sure you do so. We just reviewed the one where Doctor Remore dies, and tonight, as I speak, we are recording a review of the one where Eddie Won't Go. So if you're a fan of Friends, check out the podcast I Do with My wife, and of course check out Going Down to Southwark. We're about to wrap up season eight of the show Woodland cretit Christmas. It's been an absolute balter of south Park. So you love south Park, check out Going Down to south Park as well. But all the exclusive shows are on our Patreon don't forget. If you can't support us on Patreon, you can rate and review us on Apple Podcasts or Spotify. Wherever you are listening to this show. If you can review us, that would be much appreciated. Check us five stars as well and send through your questions. It is Mailbag at four finger discount dot com dot au. We're going to gather up all those questions and do a mailbag episode in the very near future, but for now, mister Davis, any final.
Speaker 2: Words for those incredible listens out there. We hope you've enjoyed full finger discount. The podcast that Never flattens your soda Pop