Speaker 1: Welcome to Living a Life by Design. It's the journey back to you and living three hundred and sixty five days of purpose with your host Esther Graham. Did you know your accountability and possibility is by design? God designed a phenomenal life for you, gave you the gift of choice. Esther helps empower you to discover and pursue the purpose that is already in you. Are you ready to look at yourself and see your future? Then get back to what is really important in life and get in alignment with your true self. Stay tuned to living a life by Design, journey back to you and start living three hundred and sixty five days of purpose with your host, Esther Graham. It all starts now.
Speaker 2: Hey everyone, welcome to another show of Living your Life by Design with me your host, doctor Esther Graham. And today I have a wonderful guest that I'm so super excited to introduce you to, Sharon Lee Williams. So I'm going to just share a little bit about Sharon. Sharon and I met probably about maybe two maybe almost three years ago, of course all virtual, and then we met each other in person, I believe twice. If I'm not mistaken, but there was just just a connection between us. Sharon lives in Canada and has this powerful story, just her energy and just who she is as a person. We just really connected and so I'm honored because she has a very busy schedule that she has taken the time to come and speak with us today because she has so much to share. So I'm gonna quickly read her bio because I don't want to get anything wrong. Then I'm just gonna We're just gonna have a casual conversation about Sharon Lee's life and everything that she's done. So Sharon Lee Williams is an out raised voice advocate, producer, and host of Outrace Voices, a platform amplifying stories of belonging, identity, and healing for those who raised outside for those raised outside of their family of origin. Based on her lived experience in foster care and extensive experience in the music industry, Sharon Lee creates a stage for honest conversation and connection. Sharon Lee's new book, Outrace Voices, Finding My Voice Beyond Foster Care will be released or maybe it already has been released. We're going to find out early this spring. Along with her new single so, guys, she's got a lot to share with us. So her work centers voices, not labels, and invites audiences to see resilience, humanity, and hope. So let's just welcome Sharon Lee Williams. Welcome, Sharon Lee. How are you?
Speaker 3: I am great, doctor Esther, Esther, Esther. I'm so happy to be here with you, really happy to be here and see you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You always look so beautiful and I'm happy, super happy, uh to have you here. I feel like if it's been a while since we've seen each other or even really had a really good conversation. So we have to make sure that as the summer goes that at some point we connect if we're in the States somewhere together, right, or if I come to Canada. If I come to Canada, yeah, I might be, you know, I might be coming the summer, but I want to. I don't want to. We're just going to have a casual conversation. I just really want to talk to you about, you know, uh, finding your voice after foster care and I know, uh or your voice beyond foster care. First of all, let me ask you, did your single, did your book get released?
Speaker 3: Did you're oh please this book. Honestly, it is probably the hardest thing I've ever done. You know, I don't know how a memoir goes. This is but it started like twenty years ago and then it got put to bed and started up again a couple of years ago, so we're almost there. Honestly, I was speaking with the publisher today, but I'm trying to coincide the release of the single because the song. I wrote the song a couple of years ago when I knew I was doing this memoir, and it's called Beautiful Mess and it really speaks to the idea of when I was aging out of foster care and what a mess I felt I was and you know, going through that at that time. So to answer your questions, it ain't out yet, but soon soon soon, as.
Speaker 2: They say it soon come right, it soon comes soon come yea So perfect. Well, this is good because it leads me into my first question is and that is, you know, as a child in foster care, what were some of the messages you believed about yourself and what was the turning point that helped you to begin rewriting your story.
Speaker 3: You know, I don't eat as a child in foster care, and remember, I'm going to go back. I'm seventy six years old. So in those days, we're also dealing with people who didn't really express themselves. So I didn't have an idea what I was missing. I just knew. I knew about abandonment, but I didn't know the word. I knew I felt less than, but I didn't know the word. I was just not always unhappy, not always, but always searching why. You know, it was always the question why, Because I knew I was a foster child. Why did my parents my biologic why did they leave me behind? Why hasn't anybody come back to get me, to save me, to love me, to hold me? Why?
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 3: Why? So those were my those were my big questions, my understanding. So in that understanding, it going forward that I didn't feel valued and I didn't feel worthy, even though you know, to some degree I was loved with my first foster mother, although that's not happened me. I didn't know that because language was entirely different than you know, what I would have liked. But yeah, so that's basically and when did it turn around for me? I'm kind of thinking when I hit about forty Yeah, okay, when I really well. I I had a child at thirty nine.
Speaker 2: I had my child.
Speaker 3: It's a single mother at thirty nine. And by this time I thought I was going to be a single woman. I wasn't going to have a family, just decided it. I had bought a home when I was my first house when I was thirty one, and it was a big year because I also met my biological parents at thirty thirty one, and then discovered that I had a biological sister about six months later, you know, from the same father, and my mother kept her soon, not that they were together, but my mother, Betty, kept this child and her name this is short thirty but her name is Joy. And I remember when I found that out. I remember feeling like such a little kid again, Like here I was a grown woman. I had, you know, I had things. I was on TV, I was doing stuff, you know. But I found that this girl that she kept, her name was Joy. And in my mine, I created a story. Oh, she kept her because and named her Joy because she was happy to have her. And do do do do do do do? I had a story. And I still wasn't worthy. I'm like a thirty one year old woman, still not feeling like I had done enough, so it I don't really even with all the I would say successes or buying a home on my own or whatever it was, it was still like armor and a protection, and I still didn't own it. It was just something I did. It's like feeling the fear and doing it anyhow, or I don't know, maybe I was proving it to myself. And when I became pregnant, I knew, okay, this we're not gonna go. I'm not going to go into this with all this baggage. Let me start working on the baggage that I didn't necessarily know I had because I'm a cool by that time. I'm cool. You know, I'm making money, I got help.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what success sometimes does for us, too, right, It covers up. It helps us to really avoid the things that's really inside of us that we need to unpack so we can behole. You know. Yeah, so it's amazing thirty one you're still feeling unworthy. That just lets us know that doesn't matter what age we are. If you're feeling unworthy, you're just feeling unworthy. And it's now going in to find out why is it? Exactly? I feel this way and what is it I need to do? So I love that, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 3: Because I had a voice. My voice was on stage, my voice was singing in studios, but I didn't have like a ground who I was.
Speaker 4: It was.
Speaker 3: I had an exterior vision of what it was and what people responded to. Right, So you're going to hold on to that that success. I mean a house, I'm doing it this and then comes a child comes along? What you bring a child into your life and you go pull it together? Or at least that's to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that's dig dig dig deep. I think many of us and I think this is humanity as a whole. You know, we tend to dress up on the outside, you know, and make sure our face and everything looks good and not that it's not. But we tend to do that because that's let's say, we use that as a covering sometimes again, as I said earlier, to really identify and really say this is really how I feel about this, And it always takes something to happen for you. It was having your your your son, like well I need to I need to pull this together, why so I could be a better mother for my son. You know, but it always I feel takes something to like pull us in too, for us to let's I like to call it the journey back to you, for us to begin to take that journey back to ourselfs rediscovering, refinding, and unpacking who we really who we really are. So I think that's just so so powerful. Sidebar conversation real quick, before we take a quick break, everyone, Sharon Lee said that she is seventy six years old. Now, come on, does she look good or what It's like? Yes, she just looks phenomenal, So you don't look seventy six. I was like, seventy six. Oh yeah, so yay, you know, and I love it because seventy six and you are still doing it like you're not saying, you know, well, you know, I'm seventy six. It's time for me to stop and retire. Right So you are doing it so great, great, great, great kudos to you. We will be right back. We're going on a quick break.
Speaker 5: The Crystal Coach Show sharing clarity, guidance, and practical wisdom with me Anahada every third Monday at ten am Pacific time on Transformation Talk Radio dot Com on The Crystal Coach Show we channel divine wisdom through stories of service, spirituality, and stones for self care. Feel connected and reside in the vibration of love. For more information and to connect with me, visit the crystalcoach dot com. That's the crystalcoach dot Com.
Speaker 6: What if one decision could change everything? Charise Evans's best selling author of the Power of one of five essentral Keys to Success, knows that transformation starts within. Let Scherise help you discover your authentic self and live with confidence, purpose, and joy. Whether you're ready to grow your career, your relationships, or your mindset, Charise can show you how to elevate. Book with her today at share Eva.
Speaker 4: Festa Dela Donna with est Graham, honors all women far beyond a single day of celebration, regardless of your race, gender, sexual orientation, or religion.
Speaker 5: Esther helps your rise to.
Speaker 4: Your full potential, to live fully in God's plan and to do what you were divinely created to do. Festa Dela Donna offers programs that help you fulfill your dreams and desires. For more information and to get your free copy of the Festa Della Donna Retreats Self Care Guide visit fddwomen dot com.
Speaker 7: What if justice wasn't just about systems? What about the soul? Join us on the Spiritual Justice Show with me Eric s Lee on the Transformation Network each first and third Tuesday at ten am Pacific. We bring together leaders, healers, and change makers to explore a new vision of justice, restorative, transformative, and deeply spiritual. Find out how spiritual justice could be your missing piece to transformation.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everyone to live in your life by Design. With my very special guest Sharon Lee Williams, we are going to continue our conversation. So, Sharley, one of the reasons I think that I really connected with you and just really loved your story is that in my family, I have a brother, my younger brother, that was adopted several years after I'd moved out of the home and my parents adopted him out of the foster care By then I'd already I think I'd already gone, I'd already gotten married, living overseas, and they adopted him. And then my sister adopted one of her sons out of the foster care system, and then my niece adopted her son out of the foster care system, and interest in with all of these stories, is that their bio mom or their you know, parents kept some of the siblings and let these go. And and always wondering why was that? And I look back to my to my little brother, who was extremely successful, very you know, just he's just a wonderful person. And not too long ago, I think was last year a year before last, that he actually reconnected with his his bio mom, and it was just a different it was just a really different space for him. And I remember us talking about it, and he said, you know, because he he now has a daughter, he's a single dad, you know, but he said he had to make the decision that that connection was was not good for him. You know, it was, but he did remain in connection with his siblings, his bio his bio siblings, which is which is really good, but it's interesting. And then of course the other two never reconnected with their bios, at least not to my knowledge. But so I was always interested in when I look at you and I look at your life and everything that you're doing, you know, I always wondered, how does that feel like? And that really opened me up just meeting you, to have a conversation with my little brother as to what was I never even thought, you know, but it was just so interesting for him to share and for him to talk about, you know, what that felt like and all of those different things and how did it feel coming for us, you know, we adopted him coming into a family, but before we did, he was the foster and then my parents decided to adopt him, and then he made the decision to take on our last our last name. So that was really so I think that's why I just really enjoyed listening to you talk and just you know, everything that you're doing, because I think it gives me to that connection. I just met long story short, I just met a niece and she lives in Canada, and she was also adopted, right and apparently her mom was single and and never told you know, her bio dad that that she was pregnant, and so discovered that this this was my niece, and she found you know, she found my brother in law, and so it's just been a wonderful, wonderful relationship, especially she was adopted and then her adoptive parents passed away, and so but listening again to that story just always intrigues me because I think that we forget that there is a whole community out there of foster children who has aged out. And what I found is that I'm meeting a lot of foster people. One of my good friends Amy aged out of the foster king system super like you, Sharon Lee, super successful, super happy, and then went and reconnected with her bio mom and her sister, you know, and for her, her whole all of her sisters were imposter can she went back and she got all of them. So so powerful story. Yeah, it's so good. Yeah, and the different journey that everyone has gone through, and thank God willing to share like you're willing to share because it helps others and even people who've never experienced that personally, you know, but it helps me to understand and to open up my understanding. And so when you say you're finding your voice after Foster care, what does finding your voice actually mean to you? And when did you realize that your voice matters? Like you have a voice and it it matters.
Speaker 3: I am still you know, owning that that my voice matters. I mean, I know it does, but there's certain times that you have to reset the mindset say hey, my voice does matter now in terms of what it means to me finding my voice. And I'm going to go back to when we have this voice as a baby. As babies, we have this voice and we cry unapologetically, we you know, whatever it is we do. And then one of the first words we learn is no no when we're trying to what you know, get our personalities happening. And then of course life kicks in and we learned to silence that. So I could sing. The voice was as I said before, that wasn't complicated. And I didn't know I could sing until somebody hired me. I didn't know that that was a job that I'd be able to sing commercials, that was a job that you get paid for and I could buy a house from I didn't know that. So I my voice found me one aspect of it. The other one was still hidden. So finding my voice through experiences, finding my voice through chaos, and I would say even having having a child not I wasn't prepared, you know. So that is a bit of chaos that that goes. Oh okay, now you've got to get You've got to get into it. Now, you've got to fill this out. You've talked about it.
Speaker 2: Who am I?
Speaker 3: Because who are we when the lights go down? As I always say, when you're home alone, you're figuring, you know, I'd come home crying in my own head, like not necessarily crying out lam, but crying like why did I say that? Why did I talk so much? Why did I try to make myself bigger than what I was? Because I wasn't enough. I didn't feel enough. You didn't feel you know, So you get situation and you're talking crap. And I knew I was talking crap, but I couldn't stop myself. I just wanted to be heard and what I thought was being heard in any way, shape or form, and whether that's through relationships or uh love interests or whatever it is. So you can keep all of those experiences now and the music and this and that. That's and becoming a business woman. That's how I found my voice. And I'm still finding my voice. And here I am at this age, still doing whatever it is and television show, recording this, that and the other thing to say, why don't you retire? And I go retire from what? What exactly?
Speaker 2: Am? I? Yeah? So good? Yeah?
Speaker 3: So this is this is I'm still finding it because it's this doing this with you is still new, it's still a voice, It's still how do I become authentic? Not become How am I who I am with esther? How am I who I am with people I meet? And be okay with that? Be okay if I be okay? So good words and all of that stuff. Because the voice I had in foster care was I wasn't enough, I was good enough, I wasn't loved enough. I wasn't enough. But that voice is gone.
Speaker 2: Gone, and now your voices, I'm more than enough, and I'm just going to be me. I'm going to be authentic. I'm going to be who I am who God made me to be. This is it? Take it or leave it? Right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Did you have anyone, like even in foster care or anywhere that that you felt that spoke into your life or just kind of mentorship.
Speaker 3: No, I'm under sure. I'm hoping that my guess on outrage that's what I think that people help other people Like you're talking you, you have to be made aware that you don't even know your neighbor has been in care or kinship.
Speaker 2: Right, that's right, that's right.
Speaker 3: You don't know that because it wasn't at that was all we don't want to talk about. We don't. You know, I didn't belong somewhere, because that's belonging. Somebody didn't want you. But that's not always the case people. Some people didn't want you, but they didn't want kids. But other people just did something they felt would be better for the child. Yeah, so that voice also says forgiveness. My voice also comes with the forgiveness.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so important, so important. And I love how you also said sometimes you have to renew your mind, you know, like you've got to renew you gotta and people think, oh, no, you have it's continual renewing. The mind is continual, so you can continue to move forward, right, Yeah, And I think that not that I think I know that what you are doing is really uh. People are I think just from outgrades voices, they're more aware of the foster care system. I mean, I think people know they're the poster care system, but they don't know the foster care system, meaning they don't know the people, how they how the children may feel, what are they experiencing, all of those things. And I think you just really wear a raise awareness to that that someone may say, you know, I want to get involved in this. You know, I want to serve more in this area. Right everyone, We're going to take a quick break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 3: What if you're training isn't enough.
Speaker 8: The Multicultural Mindset podcast and Rye's counselors and therapists.
Speaker 3: To unlearn the one size fits all approach. This isn't cultural competence. It's a way of being that.
Speaker 8: Brings racialized experiences from the margins to the very center of care. Let's stop pathologizing black pain and start challenging the system that created the bias in the first place. Visit New Seasons dot Training to subscribe.
Speaker 4: Besta Dela Donna with Esther Graham honors all women far beyond a single day of celebration, regardless of your race, gender, sexual orientation, or religion. Esther helps your rise to your full potential, to live fully in God's plan and to do what you were divinely created to do. Esta Della Donna offers programs that help you fulfill your dreams and desires. For more information and to get your free copy of the Festa Della Donna Retreat Self Care Guide, visit fdbwomen dot Com.
Speaker 9: There is more to life than simply surviving or even thriving, there's flourishing, high performance and quantum success. Coach Back Larsen helps you calibrate and lat your life. That specializes in working with women who want more from their life, more energy, joy, passion, connection, and more meaning. As your coach, she will help you get clear about your life, prioritize what's important, and become a master of your energy. Visit Bethlarsencoaching dot com.
Speaker 10: Do you want to better understand and embrace neurodiversity? I'm doctor Lorinodo with over thirty years of experience working with diverse and unique individuals. Through my consulting and purpose driven life coaching, I focus on empowering individuals with disabilities. My passion is advocacy, providing the tools for neurodiverse individuals to thrive and feel included in classrooms, workplaces, and communities. Unlock the potential of possibility, power and purpose. Connect with me today at NODO Holisticconsulting dot com.
Speaker 2: Welcome back everyone. So we are just having a powerful, powerful conversation finding your voice beyond foster care and listen. And I was just telling Sharon Lee while we're on a break that you know, what she's doing is just really raising the awareness of the of children and foster care and what they experience and what you know, how they feel, but also how they could also be so uh successful, you know, and what they're doing. And of course Sharon Lee is a perfect example. So we're going to continue uh this uh let's say enlightening conversation y'all. And I have to remember Sharon Lee that I'm the host, because I'm listening. I'm like, oh, yeah, I need to ask a question. Well, I'm like, oh, yes, it's all good.
Speaker 3: I just want to say that, you know, in terms of the of children, I always remind myself that unhealed children become unhealed adults. Yes, it doesn't necessarily go away. And also life takes this thing. So the healing for I find for people gets who come on the show, they have their own healing. Uh. It's cathartic for them to share their story and to feel that that they're delivering a message and maybe being a mentor in some sort of way. And possibility. I do want youth to feel that things are possible. There's you know, there's a tunnel, there's a dark time and then you've got to find the light, make the choices, and they're not always right, but they're your choices.
Speaker 2: They're your choices.
Speaker 3: And I mean I made some crappy ones, no question about it. But and I also have to say and I think I said this to you too. And I'm not particularly religious or not, but I'm very connected to God. I use God as my you know. Yeah, I have to say that. I remember when I was going through some real dark times and that was when that connection I reconnected and I asked for help. So if you ask me about that at that point and still is it is my mentor. I don't go to church, but that is my mentor. Yeah, yeah, And I thank him her it whatever, every day, grateful to be here.
Speaker 2: Two.
Speaker 3: We all don't don't necessarily want to go through the struggles that we have, but those struggles are that's who I am. It's not all of me, but they this is what it is. It is what it is, and I made life from it. And I looked at the chaos and the anger and I couldn't live there anymore. I don't want to be angry and hateful and and uh be a victim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, yes, to be a victim. Yeah, so important. I mean, you know GPS, you know, I God is my GPS as well, Like you know, that's my mentor, that's who you know what I mean. So I totally understand what you're saying. You know, somebody that's gonna, I said, the GPS system that's just gonna you know, guide me, you know, even in the worst moments, because sometimes you do feel so alone. But that's that's the person who's here to guide you and to lead you. One other story I have, so I'm an educator, you know this by trade, and so and so in my early childhood centers, we often have foster care children and always touches my heart. But I remember this one particular one and I would give the foster mom and the dad a break and take this child. And my husband and I were taking steps to go ahead and adopt them, and someone beat us to it, like and I was like so so hurt. But and then you know, since then, our lifestyle change, and it was like what you know, it just got so busy. What it wouldn't have been healthy, you know, because I wouldn't been able to stay home like I did with my with my own children. But I just I guess I think it's so important. So the children that come in you talk about that come in. I've seen someone, I've seen some that have left, but now they're adults, and you're absolutely right that some of the hurt and the pain they are still carrying. And that's why while they're young. You know, if you're a foster parent out there and you're listening to this, please make sure that you're really serving your foster children from a good place, from a good art that they're just not money coming in, but you're doing it because you love and you want to serve them and treat them like they're yours, like they're your bio, right, and and and so, because that's what they need. They're there. It's not because of their choice. You know, they're there because there's no choice. And I think what you said sharing, you know, pointing them towards the way to where you're going to make mistakes. Things are going to happen as you go out. But even if we're not in foster care, guess what, we all make mistakes. You're just like everybody else. We all make mistakes. Yeah, so many people allow their past to define their future. Many of us do. How did you learn to honor your past without allowing it to limit your potential? And you've kind of spoke about this a little bit, collaborate on it a bit more.
Speaker 3: How did I how did I honor my past?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 3: I think that's an interesting question. How did I honor my past? I don't know if I. I think by putting it in the book is one thing. Yeah, by acknowledging it, by having the show that says I'm not hiding anymore, and and by being who I am today. I think being who I'm still becoming, still growing into still. I mean, I know it sounds finding your voice, finding my voice at seventies, yes, yes, And I hope everybody else out there is still doing that as well, finding becoming, because you know, life is a challenge, but there's beauty and joy as well as the dark clouds that kind of circle around. But so I look for a lot of beauty and joy, and I am blessed. I am really really blessed to be in the situation I'm in, to have health, to have, you know, to be able to financially show up. So I know I'm blessed. But I also tell people. I also made choices. I made choices, and I can't say that anytime you make a choice it's going to work out. And it's not like buying a lottery ticket.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but life is kind of like that.
Speaker 3: But you know, it's just that's how I honor it by being better than the story that I aged out with, better than the story that people might have given me, because I wanted my book. My foster mother, who I call mother, one of the things she said to me when I was young, she said, your mother should have drowned you. She said that to me, and I remember I was so young and I couldn't understand, and thinking myself, why would she say? What did I do? Did I not make my bed? And that stuck with me for years and years, even when I was writing the book, and I thought, oh my god, that's come up, and that's a terrible thing.
Speaker 2: It's a terrible thing to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, a child to hold on to. And I didn't realize how tightly I held that and how I used it, and how my armor was so.
Speaker 7: Thick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yes, well you know, yeah, yeah. And the thing about it, you know, you are honoring it by the things that you're doing by the outrage voices. That's how you're honoring your past. And I think you're also honoring it because by doing everything that you're doing, you're helping those and everybody that you're really helping. You're not going to meet them, and you might never see them or anything like that, but I think that there's thousands and millions of people out there that that they're looking at you and they're listening, you know, and so you're helping them. And I love the fact that you say, you know, by acknowledging your story and telling it, you know, that is how you're honoring it. You're not hiding that that's from And I think sometime times what people, many of us don't realize that there's power in our story and so our story and what we have experience in life, it's not just for us anymore, especially as we begin. It's to help someone else along the way, because it's a powerful story, you know, and if we keep it to ourselves, then it dies with us, and then then it doesn't serve its intended purpose.
Speaker 3: You say, as you know, I'm going to be a grandmother. Sure, so if anything I said, this story has to come out of this legacy, because how long I'm going to be around for a little girl. But you know she's going to have all this materials say, oh that's who my wheremama was?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it. And can I tell you, as a grandmother, that is like the best kind of love, you know what I mean. It's like a It's like a whole different type of love. It really, it really is. And even on your worst day, when I see my little grand loved, I call them grand loves. When I see my little grand love, They're like I just I just love them. I just love them. So yeah, that's a congratulation. That's a whole other love, right everyone, I know We'll be right back.
Speaker 5: The Crystal Coach Show sharing clarity, guidance, and practical wisdom with me Anahada every third Monday at ten am Pacific Time on Transformation Talk Radio dot com. On The Crystal Coach Show, we channel to fine wisdom through stories of service, spirituality, and stones for self care. Feel connected and reside in the vibration of love. For more information and to connect with me, visit the Crystalcoach dot Com. That's the Crystal Coach dot Com.
Speaker 6: What if one decision could change everything. Charise Evans's best selling author of the Power of One the Five Essentral Keys to Success, knows that transformation starts within. Let Scharise help you discover your authentic self and live with confidence, purpose, and joy. Whether you're ready to grow your career, your relationships, or your mindset, Charise can show you how to elevate. Book with her today at Shreevans dot com.
Speaker 4: Besta Della Donna. If Esther Graham honors all women far beyond a single day of celebration, regardless of your race, gender, sexual orientation, or religion, Esther helps your rise to your fault potential, to live fully in God's plan and to do what you were divinely created to do. Usta Della Donna offers programs that help you fulfill your dreams and desires. For more information and to get your free copy of the Festadella Donna Retreat Self Care Guide, visit fdbwomen dot com.
Speaker 7: What if justice wasn't just about systems but about the soul. Join us on the Spiritual Justice Show with me Eric s Lee on the Transformation Network each first and third Tuesday at ten am Pacific. We bring together leaders, healers, and change makers to explore a new vision of justice, restorative, transformative, and deeply spiritual. Find out how spiritual justice could be your missing piece to transformation.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome back everyone, So glad, so super excited that you decided to join us. Today we are having a powerful conversation with Sharon Lee Williams and we're going to continue. I hope you got your notepads out and you are just writing down all and every inf that you're getting, and later we're going to have Sharon Sharon Lee share her information with you. So, Sharon Lee, I have to sometimes I pause and I say, Sharon, I know.
Speaker 3: It's okay, all right, It's okay, all right.
Speaker 2: So today, right, you are successful and making an impact. What would you say to the young people once uh you were once? Or to the child currently imposter care who feels unseen, unheard or uncertain about their future? What would you say to that boy? What would you say to that girl?
Speaker 3: So see, well it's hard to say anything to youth who are going through it except to know there is a light at the end. There is a light, there are possibilities, and you're okay, find a mentor. If you can find a mentor, and you go to the life read up on read up. You know, people need to read a little bit more. Youth needs to say because what becomes our mentor when we're young, I know it's the street. If you don't have anybody, an adult in your life as a mentor, the street becomes your mentor. So find a mentor if you can, and know that you are more than enough. But saying that to a youth is like, oh please, I'm in this hell right now. What the hell can become heaven? Look at the choices. You try to make those choices early. Try to just try to love yourself a little bit more, even though it's very it's challenging, I understand. So I can't give you words of wisdom because I know when you're going through that, when you're young and going through it, it's just you cannot see the light. But there is light. There is light, There is light, there is possibility, there is hope, there is hope. Yeah, yeah, reach out, reach out to I think there is a lot of help in the communities now, but reach out. I think with the foster care system and they have a psychiatrist and therapists, reach out. Don't because I know kids get out and they just want to I don't want to talk to anybody anymore. I don't want to blah blah blah. I don't want to hear a thing about that. And what does freedom look like? So know some next steps. Know that you're going to be some people that are eighteen. Some people age out at twenty one. I'm not sure. It depends on your state, and I know it's different in Canada, but just know there are possibilities. I'm not electric to anybody. Just know there's hope and believe that this what is happening today to you. It's not the end. It's not the end. It's just part of your story. That page will turn, that that page will change.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love I love that. I'm going to share another story again, someone else that I met in the world of business and you know, personal development and all of that. And so she was young and her mother died right in front of her as a little girl and no family. So she ended up in foster care and she aged out of foster care. And she said when she aged out, she had nowhere to go. She didn't know what to do. And so she found a job and it was at a fast food restaurant, and she just started. She had to get a place to live. And so she find you know, just looking anywhere that where she can get help from. And then so she did was able to get help little. She got her job. She enrolled herself in a community college, and she just she said, I would go to school all day and walk in the night to go to my job because the fast food she said, I was in a little town dark. The fast food place would open til two, and you would see these drunk men or whatever. And she said, I would sometimes carry a bat with me just in case any of them came to attack me, that I can, you know, beat them, beat them down. She eventually got pregnant, you know, became a single mother. But here's the end of her story. She worked hard, she found herself a supportive community. You know, it took time, but she said, I didn't have a choice. She said, I knew I didn't want to live like this. She's the same story. She said, I didn't felt like enough. I didn't, but I was to this. I was too that. I was to all these different things, she said, But I worked hard, and today she became she's a multi millionaire and her business is because her mom was also a recovering attic and that's what she was around and all of that. She began to do work with people in recovery and that's basically what her business. She started a few nonprofits and all of these different things and then her own business. And she's a young woman. And so when you say find something, I think you know you can do it. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Make choices, and when you're making the choice, find it. I think your environment is important. Surrounding yourself with a supportive environment, the people that are going to say you can do this, you got this, you can do this, and not those who are going to pull you down or introduce you to things that's not that's not going to take you anywhere. You know. Yeah, And I think what you're saying is so important. You know, you mentioned you know, believe in yourself, you know, have hope, you know, use your fate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because belonging. You know, when kids when I aged out and it doesn't seem to change, but they want this. If you have no place to go, if you don't have family or kinship or something, there's belonging. You're looking for home. You're looking to belong Now, what are the choices with a lot of and we know in the jails a lot of youth have been through foster care've aged out of foster care. Whereas belonging, belonging can be in oh well, this gang says they've been, I know what they got, or this man who says he loves me, I know that. You know, so understanding belonging, it's very hard to even say, Okay, find a group. I don't know if the why exists. I don't know. Really different places have different things. But seek it out. Seek it out, like you're saying, find a group that can support you, and then say, yeah you go, girl, you go, guy, whatever you go, boy, you do it.
Speaker 2: You got it, you got it, you can do it. Got this you know. Let me help you.
Speaker 3: Here's find out financial literacy. Speak to someone and say, okay, you can work at wherever, but take don't necessarily buy the fifteen dollars coffee. You if you're making five dollars, take a dollar a week and put it away somewhere I don't know where you put it and let it stay there for a year. You have some do something because but they're they're they're. There are places you can go and talk about that. But don't be ashamed that because we come out with so much shame, you know, so we don't reach out for help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we don't.
Speaker 3: Trust help coming out. Who are you going to trust? These adults? And I met with an adults who have been through like ten homes were putting, ten homes who were raped to hear this and that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it's hard for you to trust, hard for you to trust.
Speaker 3: Yeah, come out and trust who? Why why are you telling me? You go? Girl? You know. So it's a lot, it's a lot, there's a lot to unpack. But just trust that there is a way through, There is a path through.
Speaker 11: Trust the hope, trust, trust the process. Trust yes, yes, yeah, yeah, and know that what you're experiencing now or what you've gone through, that's what happened to you. But that's not you.
Speaker 3: That's not you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's not you.
Speaker 2: So always remember even if no one tells you, know who you are. And right now, even if you may be feeling you're not enough, you may be feeling just out there just from I'm just nothing, I'm gonna be But no, that's not you. That's a voice that wants you to believe that. And so I like to say you silence that voice. You pause that voice, and then you use the other voice that says that you are powerful, that God created me and he doesn't create junk. You know that I am powerful. I believe in me, you know. You know. It's like Jesse Jackson says, I am somebody. I can do this. And I think it's key that you surround yourself with people who will tell you that.
Speaker 3: And repeat it to yourself.
Speaker 2: And yes, yes, and I am.
Speaker 3: Somebody until you believe it. In that mirror, say something yes, yes, say something to yourself, say something yes.
Speaker 2: You can wait for people to can No, you can't, and sometimes if you do, they may never tell you. That's why you have to tell yourself. You stand, get a mirror, look simpling that I am somebody. I can do this, I can walk through this, I can make it, you know, and keep I like it, keep repeating it to yourself until you believe it, until you believe it. Right.
Speaker 3: It is a song, write a journal it, do do something your life, something for your story matters. We say that your voice matters.
Speaker 2: Tell yourself matters. Yeah, yeah, it's one hundred percent. So this has been a powerful story. Sharony, please share where everyone that's listening can connect with you.
Speaker 3: Well, certainly, I'd love everybody to watch Outraised Voices and it's definitely R A I S. E. D. Because people say it's it outrage nos outraised raised outside your family of origin. You can find me on YouTube info at Sharon Lee Williams dot ca A or Outraised Voices. You can find me and we'll do maybe I don't know if you do links at the end of the show, but.
Speaker 2: We Yeah, the link will be at the end of the show. And she's on Instagram, Facebook, Mine, everywhere you can reach out to me. I will tell you where she is, but the links will also be in there. The book is coming out. I'm super excited h to read the book and so listen. Yes, yes, and the song and the song. So guys, we were so you know, thank you so much for joining us today. This has been powerful. Don't forget to connect with me. All the information is there, and check out my retreat that's coming in October in Costa Rica. Yeah. Excited, yeah about that. So I can't wait to see you there. What else do we have coming up our marriage mentorship also at beginning, so connect. Find me on Facebook, Instagram, find me in the links. Take care, God, bless you, Thank you Sharon Lee again, thank you. Bye bye everyone, blessings, bye bye.
Speaker 1: You have been listening to Living a Life by Design, The Journey Back to You and Living three hundred and sixty five Days of Purpose with host Esther Graham. Listen or watch live every second and fourth Friday at eleven am Pacific on Transformation Talk Radio dot com. Discover that what is possible is already in you. God designed a phenomenal life for you. Esther helps you ignite that energy behind your personal journey for a deeper joy and peace living three hundred and sixty five Days of Purpose. For more information on living a Life by Design, visit fddwomen dot com.
Speaker 11: The strips the Best Stay Chat