Speaker 1: All right, let's do this. Fred Rogan Jonas notching today for Rodney on a five to seventy LA Sports Jonas.
Speaker 2: How you doing, Hey so Fred?
Speaker 1: All good, my friend worked with you.
Speaker 2: Nothing, just getting ready for the real nitty gritty of the Dodger season. Just looking around. Have you noticed, by the way, I don't know what time you wake up in the morning, but if you noticed in southern California, we're starting to get that fall chill, all right, things are starting to cool down just a little bit more. It's getting dark out sooner. It does feel like we are on the brink. We talked about this a little bit on Friday of football right around the corner the MLB postseason not far away. It feels like we're getting into the good stuff of the year.
Speaker 1: Fred, What are you talking about? What do you mean it's getting cooler? How much cooler is it getting?
Speaker 2: I'm telling you, man, Listen, I get up at one in the morning, and I can tell you there's a difference at one in the morning nowadays as opposed to like a month and a half ago, big difference really onny football, Weather's right around the corner here, just like well, we.
Speaker 1: Don't play football, one am Jonas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's an indicator that the day is getting colder. Okay, Now, for those of you listening in the desert that are probably sweating your balls off, going what the hell are you talking? You know what I mean if you get up at that time. Things are changing, Fred, The calendar is changing and we are starting to get to I mean, listen, call it. We had week zero last weekend. College football is right around the corner. We got the O's, we got a match up against the Diamondbacks. The Snake's cut your Serpiente's coming up soon for it. Like this is this is the good stuff of the sports calendar year, and I think we should all embrace it and stop trying to push back against it and still maintain that no, no, no, no no, it's the summer months maybe technically, but Autumn is knocking on the door saying, come get some of this smoke.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, things are picking up, there's no question. Dodgers, they've got the Orioles in town, and then they go to Arizona to take on the Diamondback. So now this is real. You know, they've got the slight lead. Thank goodness. They started the way they did. Arizona San Diego both hot Orioles one of the best teams in the American League so now, and Dave Roberts has been saying jonas he's managing as if it's in the playoffs. I think we can look at these next seven games as playoff games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, because Arizona and San Diego are going anywhere, like they're just pulling wins out of there, you know what, left and right. The Padre went over the weekend where they were losing to the Mets and then a two run shot Jackson Merrill hits that home run to win the game, like they're just they're winning games they shouldn't win. And it's got a magical feel to it, which is not the best thing in the world you want to hear if you're a Dodgers fan. And then you get the Orioles to come into town. And I would also like to say, I sure hope that yesterday on the show, Vic the Brick got the respect and credibility that he deserved because he did predict a forty to forty night for Sho Heyo Tani last Friday, And I just hope that that was acknowledged yesterday here on the show.
Speaker 1: Well, I think he acknowledged it himself. I can handles that himself. All right, there's no reason to have to acknowledge anything Vic says it actually happens, because you will acknowledge that. Yeah. On the other hand, there are things he suggests that never occur and he doesn't mention those.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that's the way this works. I mean, listen, he is sports talk radio through and through. When you get it right, let everybody know. When you get it wrong, you heard wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are you talking about? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I never say dah, that's the move.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then nowadays, if you get sensitive, you just block people on social media. That's that's also the move.
Speaker 1: So you do a lot of that.
Speaker 2: No, never done it. Never blocked anybody on Twitter or ex whatever you want to call it. Ever, once it's kind of a waste of time, Like who cares like so and so says you suck and you're this and uses every name of the Okay, that's not a reflection on me. I grew up listening to sports talk radio. I can assure you never one time while I was listening to sports talk radio was like, like, you know what, I don't like what Steve Hartman just had to say. Let me go ahead and let him know why I think he's this, this, this and this, and how little I think of his family. Never thought to it, never thought to like hate email him or text him or anything like that or any of the ways you would communicate back in the day. But apparently that's how they do it nowadays.
Speaker 1: So yeah, because everybody has a voice. Yes, you know, we did this yesterday. I think it was during the two o'clock hour. There's a survey that came out about how people view misinformation. People always hear now and believe exactly what they want to believe, even if you can make a valid point that that's incorrect, that's wrong. Yeah, I mean you're thinking something that is wrong, and let me explain why and hear all the facts and there's no denying. You cannot confuse it. What you think is not factual. People, I don't care. That doesn't matter to me. Yeah, I think what I think. I don't want to know the facts. I don't want to know what's really going on. All I want to do is think what I want to think. It's confirmation by it. Yeah, that's the it is. Yeah, that's all it is, and they'll find it.
Speaker 2: That's what bothers me so much about some of the stats, statistical categories and things like that, that people you can come up with a statistic for anything, and like we're jumping the shark nowadays when you're getting these stats of like he's the first player ever to knock in two runs in the same month that he also struck out four times five of the last six games in a month that his team had a four game lead in the postseason with under thirty five games to go. Hold on a second, he just drove in two runs. Can we just leave it at that, Like that's all he did. He drove in two runs. Like the other stuff that goes along with it, We don't need any of that stuff. But people try and justify whatever their preconceived opinion. The guy could be batting eighty five, but you're looking for any glimmer of hope so that you can dust off the take that you had initially and just confirm that that's exactly how you feel about everything. Like there's too much, too many statistics, too many things going on. Let's just get down to the bottom line. Wins and losses get into the postseason and go from there. And it happens in every single sport, not just baseball.
Speaker 1: It really does. Okay, so the Dodgers get the Orioles tonight as well. Begin this this seven days. H Orioles have been on the On the other side, you know, they were hot for a while. Yeah, and I still think there are twenty games above five hundred, but the last ten they haven't been world beaters, all right, so everybody cools off at some point. Dodgers, on the other hand, have been hot and playing very well, I think, and before the season started, and I can't remember who did it, but we talked about it. You know. In one of the preseason polls, it was suggested that the Dodgers and Orioles would meet in the World Series, and according to that, the Orioles are gonna win and beat the non Rusal. So going into the season, these are considered to be the two top teams, Dodgers and Orioles. I like the Dodgers chances, but I think it's really important now that you keep in mind that these are all playoff games. They are not regular season games. And for the whole year I've said here and said, it's a regular season game. Who cares, it's one of one's sixty two. They're a little bigger now than one of one's sixty two. Now, you got to be in every game, You got to play well in every game. You got to figure out a way to win every game, because this is what the playoffs will be like. So they get a little taste of it earlier this year. Interesting about the Orioles. You know, for a good few seasons they were terrible, they were awful, But what were they doing. They told everybody, we're going to rebuild this thing, and they rebuilt it. Young players, a lot of homegrown players, and I think they are going to be around for a while now.
Speaker 2: And by the way their's success rate on their homegrown players, it's kind of similar to the Dodgers a few years ago, where everybody they brought up played well, like everybody had an impact, and it's like, dude, who's running their farm system? Like all these guys that were picked up in trades to your point, when they were like, listen, you can have them, you can have them. We're not going anywhere. We're not going anywhere. They just kept acquiring all these prospects, and they're bringing these guys up and they've all delivered, and they've completely turned around their organization. They were the laughing stock of the league. Like, they completely turned around their organization just by adding all that young talent. And now they find themselves in a spot to where they're challenging the Yankees for the Al East. They're in consideration with one of those teams that's looked at is Hey, it wouldn't be a shock if they weren't a World Series and people are, you know, like you said, projecting them against the Dodgers. By the way, I want to say, God, who the hell was that? Because it was on this show. Wasn't it that somebody talked about Dodgers Orioles because I remember that being a pick, and I'm trying to think who it was. It was it Vassa, No, not Vassa.
Speaker 1: I don't think it was vass I think Vassi.
Speaker 2: Had the Dodgers versus the Dodgers in the World Series. And I'm not mistaken, Like, yeah, I'm trying to think, God, who was it? But yeah, to your point, they've landed on all their prospects. They've done a marvelous job just kind of building the team up and getting the team and getting those guys acclimated to the big leagues and just throwing them out there and being like, all right, go figure it out. And they've all done it. Man, they've been fantastic.
Speaker 1: Jack Flaerty will go for the Dodgers tonight. Okay, well, now, now this is one of the reasons they went out and got him for games like this, for series like this. Remember he did play with the Orioles last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then got traded Towe the Cardinals.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, he was not good with the Orioles at all.
Speaker 2: I believe the bad stuff, Like why do you have to bring up all the negative stuff with people? Well, says focus on the one. What's happening now.
Speaker 1: Well, here's what I'm going to say. He was not very good last year with the Orioles, but he seems to be having a career year this year. He stayed healthy and he has done what people I had hoped you would do. So I think it's a big game tonight for him as well. You know what years ago when they went out and got you Darvish and I've said this many times, you know, and then he falls apart in the World Series. That's the only reason they signed you. That was it, I mean, and nobody was stealing your signs.
Speaker 2: Hold on a second, like, upon further review, like shouldn't you also put that one back in the holster and be like, listen, now that we know that, you know, guys are wearing electronic devices.
Speaker 1: Not in games, Sven at Dodger Stadium, I can't buy it, can't buy it. That's why they signed him. That's the only reason you're here. And they lost.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the one people give him a hard time for. So you're not willing to cut him any slack for that game. You don't think there was any cheating going on.
Speaker 1: No, not at Dodger Stadium. I don't. Game was over three batters into the game.
Speaker 2: Okay, But you know this about Dodger Stadium that in big games and in big moments, that place turns into a morgue. It just does. People are nervous, people are just waiting for something bad to happen. There's a different vibe there playoff games.
Speaker 1: There just is no no no, no, no, no, no, no, no, you got you got him in the first inning. Everybody's fired up. Not a Morgue. It was in that game.
Speaker 2: But nerves, but nerves everybody like, I don't think it's this loud, drown out effect that normal playoff atmospheres would be at home. I think there was an opportunity for the Astros to cheat there and they probably did it there were well too. If they were having success with it at home, why wouldn't they bring that show on the road. It's game seven, Like you bring out all the stops, all hands on deck, including the trash can lids next to the guy who's uh you know, put filling up the big league chew bucket next to the sunflower seeds. I'm telling you, man, they were. They were cheating Game seven as well too. We need confirmation from vass.
Speaker 1: All right, well we'll ask him. We'll ask him when he comes on here. He'll be on in what ten minutes, so we'll ask him then. But that's why Jack Flerty is here tonight. That is why they traded for him. And in my mind, he's a professional athlete. Anything can happen. He's a pitcher. He doesn't get a lot of oops. That's why he's here. Now, this is why you're here. They expect you to win. They expect you to keep them in the game. That's what they expect out of you. He's got to do it.
Speaker 2: Plus he got a little bit of a red ass too, Like if somebody gets upset that he comes inside on a pitch, like he's willing to let him know, like listen, we're not messing around here, like we don't play those games over here, you know. Plus you know he knows the al pretty well. Probably gonna be some familiarity there. What here's the part that's so nerve racking about all this. It's cool. You could go two of three, you could win two of three, you know, the the the Diamondbacks and Mets series could go similar and then like all of this will be canceled out because they're playing each other, like right after this, I just like this is all cool. But like that time where they let the lead drop from what nine games all the way down to two or whatever, it was like, we're gonna look back on that and go, that was a real opportunity to try and play it safe, you know the rest of the year. And now you're gonna be everybody's awareness is going to be heightened because you've opened up the door to where in matchups down the stretch against these two teams San Diego and Arizona, there's an opportunity for them to get back in the race if they have a strong outing against the Dodgers. Like, I mean, that's why that stretch, you know, like everyone say I'll relax, like and I was one of those people. But now you look at it and you go, man, they're winning. They're going five of six, et cetera, et cetera. And then you go and the lead's still only three and still only four against Arizona. Problematic but fun. I mean it is fun. At least they're getting more acclimated to the postseason what it's going to be like coming up down the stretch.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think again Flaherty on the Hill tonight. Keep them in the game. You gotta keep them in it, and then those at bats become very precious. Yeah. I don't think we're going to see a lot of twelve two games in October. I don't think we've seen it. I think we see one run games, two run games.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the Dodgers, now, these games are and it's the way Ned Colletti has always said they play. They grind you, and they grind you, and they grind you. They wait for you to make a mistake, they wait for your bullpen to come in. They'll just sit there with you, and then by attrition, they'll figure out a way to win it. That's what Ned Colletti says about the Dodgers, and I think we're gonna start seeing it now. I mean against Seattle. You know, those games were close, those games were tight. Somehow they won even though Tani hits the walk off Grand Slam, they were behind, they won. They figured out a way to win. And I think there's something to that. I think it builds. It builds momentum. They know they can do it, they know they're never out of it because they are now doing it. I think that's a critical part of what's going to happen going forward.
Speaker 2: Would you rather have this or would you rather have comfort not having to worry about it? Just cruise right into the post season and then let's just because we're the best team, We'll just you know, take our chances, roll out the best lineup on the field, and then just go from there. Like, would you rather have this? Because me personally and you made the point on Friday. We've seen what the other version looks like, where they've got a comfortable lead, they cruise into the postseason, and next thing you know, they're getting lit up at Dodger Stadium and people like what happened here? Like what's going on? And I do wonder if there is something about them having to go through because it's not even just the downward slide that they took and the slump they went and everybody goes through slumps. It's all the other stuff off the field. Everything you could possibly imagine going wrong has gone wrong. It's almost like you've got a deck of cards and you pull something up and go, will this happen? It's like a no, na, na No. Also, you don't think you're gonna start the season over in Japan and have to come back after a break and still go back to training spring training. Okay, yeah, we'll put that card over there, all right. What about somebody's interpreter stealing millions of dollars from and being a gambling junkie. Yeah, there's no possible, no, no, no, you got that too. Mookie Bett's being injured all the other injuries that came along with it. David vasse calling into question Maximuntsey's toughness. The other drama that's gone on with the team, trades, bad breaks, Tommy John surgeries, you know, rehab assignments, going back to the miners to try and figure out why your pitch isn't working anymore if you're Walker, like, all these things that have happened has only built them up for this moment and the steadying ship the entire time. Dave Roberts, the guy that you wanted fired, neverlier this year.
Speaker 1: Never said that, never said that. No, we have people that call all the time and say that, but I've never said that. Yeah, it has been really a very rocky road. Do I want comfort. I don't want as much comfort as they had in the past, because again we know what happens. Then. Do I like it quite this type? Probably not, But I think it suits them better. I think it does a better job of preparing them for what is to come. I mean, look, last year they came out, they they seem so disinterested and flat. It was like, what happened? What happened? It went against San Diego the year before? What happened?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean last year, I mean, I think we know what happened last year. I think we're we've all figured it out. Like they were, well, they were a little distraught. I mean, you know, it's like you're celebrated here locally, you know, doing sports here for over forty years, and yet you know, for whatever reason, you've got this soft spot in your heart for the Serpientes, and I think they just look at it and go like, what do we got to do to get Fred on our side? Like, how can we get him on our team so that that way, next time we run into a big matchup which Lo and Behold just a few days away, next time we run into a big matchup with playoff implications on the line involving us in the Serpientes, he'll root for us and not for Arizona.
Speaker 1: I did never rooted for the Serpientes, but I did tell you they were pretty good, and they were good, So I only spoke the truth. Just because I tell you they're good doesn't mean I'm rooting for him. But they were good, and we saw what happen, and they're pretty good this year too. You do's having a great year. Jack Peterson.
Speaker 2: Yeah, By the way, just as the game changed, it just slowly started to shape around him. Yes, so listen, we're not really that concerned with batting average. Can you hit home runs? Yes? Cool, You'll be playing to you forty years old. Like it's literally just like he just out there hitting bombs man, and like wherever he's gone, Like he wouldn't won a World Series in Atlanta, he went to the Giants, spent a cup of coffee with the Cubs before the Atlanta finished that year.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Now he's with Arizona like just slowly found himself, you know. And by the way, he's also I wonder, I don't know if he's still playing fantasy football, but based on what happened between him and Tommy Fam, he's probably a lot more focused on baseball now, you think so, Yeah, maybe because it is fantasy football draft season, so there's a lot of people out there that are really really trying to figure out what they're going to do this year.
Speaker 1: So I don't know if he and Fam are in the same league anymore.
Speaker 2: Would I would imagine not? I would say probably not. But you know, listen, he's with Arizona and now he's gonna get set for a big matchup against his ex your Dodgers.
Speaker 1: Fred, all right, let's bring David Vassay on next as a Dodgers get ready for this big series against the Orioles. Jonas Naucchin today for Rodney Dodgers tonight, first of three against the Orioles. That it's off to Arizona. David Vassaying is going to join the show, Dave. Good afternoon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so now it's real time, Fred, I am joining the show.
Speaker 1: I wasn't sure if you were there or not. That's kind of why I couched that. Well, Dave is going to join the show, Dave. So these seven games, now we have a playoff atmosphere.
Speaker 3: Agree, Oh yeah, without a doubt. Even Dave Roberts said two weeks ago that he's in playoff managing modes. So this is coming down, in my opinion, to the final ten games of the season. The Diamondbacks are not going anywhere. The Padres are not going anywhere. But I still still firmly believe the Dodgers are going to win this division between three and five games. It's not going to be the customary ten fifteen game blowout season. This will be in the category of twenty eighteen and twenty twenty one where a division team pushed them to the finish line.
Speaker 2: Is there another team out there? Just I mean, we're focused on the Diamondbacks and the Padres, who are three and from Rodney.
Speaker 3: Your voice is so different today.
Speaker 2: Can you believe that.
Speaker 3: It sounds like a surfer from Thousand Oaks?
Speaker 2: It certainly does a lot of waves out here. But that being said with outside of the Padres and the Diamondbacks, is there also maybe another team as we get closer to the postseason that you look at and go, man, a lot of people aren't talking about them. That could be an issue as well too for the Dodgers in the postseason.
Speaker 3: No, I feel like the National League is pretty clear, Jonas, It's the Diamondbacks, it's the Padres and me personally, and I'm going to stick with it. I felt like it was going to be a Dodgers Phillies NLCS to me. The Brewers just don't have enough. They're in a horrible division. I'm not quite sure whether or not they're that good or the rest of the division is that bad. But they're honestly doing something right over there, or they wouldn't be as far ahead as they are. They actually have the largest Division lead in baseball in the NL Central. But look, the Braves could get hot, they could get their pitching healthy, and they're probably going to be the wildcard team. They could be one of those teams that gets hot at the right time like they did in twenty one. But I still don't see anybody outside of Arizona or the Dodgers advancing to play the Phillies.
Speaker 1: Dave Evan Phillips seems like he's back in now, So where does he fit in in a bullpen?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, Dave Roberts is starting to use him again at the back end of games in high leverage situations. It just seems like the Dodgers could simplify a lot by just having Michael Kopek be their closer. He's got a great arm. He's a shutdown type of arm, throwing ninety six to one hundred on certain nights. I would hope that by the end of the regular season he is up to speed as far as being used as many times as he is being used with the Dodgers, with them actually winning games, that he will get used to the regularity that they are going to lean on him because he's that type of arm to be a closer, and Evan Phillips was always better served to be that guy to put out fires in the seventh inning or the eighth inning, or even sometimes in the sixth inning. So hopefully it goes back to that, and hopefully Copeck really embraces being the closer.
Speaker 2: Do you think that's something that Roberts is open to or is he fixated on No, Listen, I want to go with Evan Phillips. I'm more familiar with him. Do you think that Kopec would be a solution that he would look at and go, I know he hasn't been here for the long haul, but this is somebody that I want to be my guy in the back end in high leverage situations.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm sure he does. But you know Dave is not the only one making decisions as far as how to deploy these relievers before a game.
Speaker 2: Then, gotcha.
Speaker 3: I know analytics look at the numbers and the groupings of hitters and the handedness right or left, But the ninth inning isn't for everybody, and I feel like the Dodgers are still feeling out whether or not the ainh thinning is for Michael Kopek. But he certainly has the stuff. So I feel like between now and the end of the year, you're obviously going to see Copeck close games, and the Dodgers if they like what they see and they believe he can do it on a regular basis, they have one of the more dominant right handed relievers in the National League.
Speaker 1: Uh, Dave Flaherty goes tonight for the Dodgers. I was telling Jonas earlier, these are the kind of games, These are the situations why he was traded for. Right here, right now, this is it? What are you laughing about it?
Speaker 3: Fred? I guess he was traded for to do it in the playoffs more than yeah.
Speaker 1: But I mean this is kind of a lad off.
Speaker 3: The atmosphere, it is, Fred. But even if they lose, tonight is a do or die.
Speaker 1: No, but it is. He needs a good outing, is what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: He can't go off get she need a good outing. I think he's had a few already.
Speaker 1: Well, but now, yeah, but now it's Baltimore, it's not Oakland. I mean, these are important games, Dave. I think now he's really got to perform.
Speaker 3: Actually, Fred, I actually believe what you're describing is tomorrow starter Walker Buehler. Walker Buehler needs a good start to prove that he's actually back, because against the Mariners he was better, but they're one of the worst hitting teams in baseball. So I feel like everything that you were saying is for Jack Flerity tonight is actually for Walker Buehler tomorrow.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: So since we're on the topic, we kind of veered off into a discussion about the Astros and the cheating back in twenty seventeen because Fred made the comparison that, you know, Jack Flaherty, similar to you, Darvish, You're brought here for these moments you need to deliver. And I said, well, you know, based on what we know about that World Series now, it kind of looks a little bit different than initially you Darvis just turned into a gas can at Dodger Stadium in Game seven. Fred is convinced there was no cheating going on in Game seven, though he said didn't happen at Dodger Stadium, So he's not willing to cut you, Darvish, any slack. You were there. Do you buy that or do you think Houston brought those gimmicks to Dodger Stadium for the biggest game of the year.
Speaker 3: No, it's never been proven they were able to pull off what they did at home on the road. What I can tell you is going back to when Darvish was with the Rangers, the Astros just saw the ball coming out of his hand really well, no matter where it was, and maybe he was tipping in the traditional sense where they saw something, but it had nothing to do with the trash cans at Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 2: Wow, you're right, Fred, Congratulations, you got it.
Speaker 1: I got one. Thanks, thanks joting us. I'll take one.
Speaker 3: No, you know, here behind the scenes, there were signs from you Darvish that he wasn't up to the task and the Dodgers probably should have been on red alert from the first inning on and not let it get to five nothing by the second inning?
Speaker 1: Are you saying before the game early?
Speaker 3: And that's in my documentary?
Speaker 2: All come on, Like, yeah, it was a little teaser, a little bit of a preview day, Like you don't have to say.
Speaker 3: We were talking about twenty twenty four. What's the point of going back to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's salacious, you know, like it's a scandal, like this is what this like? We love this stuff. So can you. You don't have to say who told you all this?
Speaker 3: The archives. You will hear me before Game seven say Alex Wood should be starting that game because the Astros just never saw the ball coming out of his hand. He was the only Dodger pitcher that was tenacious enough to change his signs on every single batter. And that's the reason why he was the only one to win in Houston during the World Series. And they just had no answer for Alex Wood. You could have had Alex Wood then Clayton Kershaw behind him, who was absolutely dominant after the game was out of hand.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you I want to see that documentary now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, Fred, he.
Speaker 1: Lays it out. He spits the truth. Yeah, he does, Dave. When you see the Orioles and what they went through to get to where they're at. All they've got young guys, a lot of them homegrown. They went through a tough time. Now they're very good. Is that a team you think that that'll be pretty good for a.
Speaker 3: While now, Arizona, Fred Orioles, Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you said Arizona.
Speaker 1: Arizona.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Baltimore is here to stay. They're really good. What I've been hearing from the East coast. Is they really botch their trade deadline? They traded for Zach Efflyin's who's on the IL now. They traded for the Marlins, a right hander that is in the minor leagues, or left handed Trevor Rodgers who's in the minor leagues now. So they really needed pitching at the trade deadline, and they really messed it up. And now Austin Hayes, the outfielder they traded for, I mean, he's playing well in Philadelphia or they send the Philadelphia he's playing well. So they're five hundred since the All Star break and they're pitching is very suss.
Speaker 2: Dave, do you take any credit for lighting a fire under Max Munsey and getting him to return in the way that he did, because it was on this show that you sort of called into question, like what's taken so long, let's get this going. Is this a pain tolerance issue? And yet here he is and he's back, and he's back with a vengeance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like I think everybody should take some credit for that. Right. He said it was some chiropractic adjustment where it was one of his lower ribs that was not allowing him to get over the hump. It was a miracle it happened when it did. But hope happily for the Dodgers it happened, and he hasn't missed a beat. I mean, how do you explain a guy not playing since May saying before his first game back, missing three months is like three years. And he comes back and has that series against the Mariners and also had a great a bat ahead of Otani's Grand Slam the other night. So yeah, he's Max Munsey again, which is great for the Dodgers.
Speaker 1: All right, well, Dave, you're always great for us. We appreciate it.
Speaker 3: Coming on, I'll try to be better next time.
Speaker 1: Fred, No, you were good today. I don't know if you're gonna.
Speaker 3: Approve much more appreciate it. You're okay? Thanks?
Speaker 1: Thanks?
Speaker 2: Right, Dave?
Speaker 1: Okay, David Matsy and you'll hear the game here tonight. What what?
Speaker 2: He's so much fun because you just never know, there's there's at least one question in every interview that'll like set him off and kind of get his smart assness to get to another level. And so, like I thought, it was pretty much a hey, these are the moments Jack Flaherty was brought in for you know, we're what thirty games left in the season. You know, they've got to maintain this lead. There's a big series coming up, and that was the one that he chose. No, I think I'll take that one, and I'm gonna go ahead and take that one and try and drive Fred straight into a ditch. It's just I mean, he's really great at it, Like it really is fun to listen to.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, it always depends on how he's feeling that day. First, he knows more than anybody. He really is the best at what he does. Yes, And you know, as a listener, you go, oh, that's just saying what he does. No, he's really good. He is now he can be a pain of hand. He was really good.
Speaker 2: And I listen, I know it's going back to twenty seventeen, but I am curious to wonder if you watching on that one, well, because what what was it pre game that people saw that were like us not up for this? I mean, was he like blowing chunks in a trash can somewhere because he was so nervous about the start? Like, what was it about that and what happened before that game. That would be an indicator that he's not the guy that should be sent out there, like I just wonder, you know, and we ge apparently we got to wait for the documentary.
Speaker 1: I was surprised. I thought he'd give you a little bit on that. I thought he, you know, he opened the door, but then nothing.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's got to play the game, man, like you know, you got to, you know, but and eventually you would like some answers, Like I don't know if you've seen the Steve McNair documentary on Netflix, I've not, all right, so if you were looking for answers, don't even bother. Like it's just basically a recap of everything that everybody already know and the relationships and all this and the shoddy detective work and everything else. It's like, all right, any new arrests, Nope, And it's been fifteen years. Cool. So that was a nice fifty nine minute documentary for no reason whatsoever. So I'm just hoping if Dave does put out this documentary, at least we get some answers.
Speaker 1: All right, Look, we've got NFL news to talk about, and the most important news though, a big deal was signed today we'll get to that. Someone is back. We'll get to that, and we'll tell you how you can own an NFL team. All that coming up. Jonas Knoxen today for Rodney Our thanks to David Vassa for jumping on the show. All right, so you know, the Rams are trying to move Ernest Jones. He asked for trade. They had conversations, they tried to figure it out, they tried to work it out, and they have done it. The Titans will get Ernest Jones and a twenty twenty six to sixth rounder. The Rams receive a twenty twenty sixth fifth rounder. Jones gets his wish.
Speaker 2: Wheeling and dealing, getting it done before the season. I mean, this is really like, you know, is this really gonna be the make or break of whether or not the Rams take a run in that division? You know, Like.
Speaker 1: That's the thing that's so funny to me when we talk about the NFL, because now it's real, Okay, the games will start and everything will be fine. But during the preseason, this kind of thing, what's going to happen now, all right, Well, I don't think that's going to determine anything.
Speaker 2: Quite frankly, I don't either.
Speaker 1: Nothing, but that's the deal they wanted. He wanted to go, and they facilitated it. They get a fifth round pick, they had to give up a sixth round pick, and him it's sad to add something, Yeah, sness, he would take them.
Speaker 2: And there's this whole like draft chart, which I think Jimmy Johnson came out with. So when you see these deals that are done during the draft, and it's like, well, so and so is getting a third round pick, but they've got to give up a fourth and a fifth and all, like there's like an equation that's done to where they've got the value of draft picks slotted in a way in which trading this one everybody knows is equal to this. And it's like, why can't you just do the deal? If you look at a player and you go, if he's still available, can I just overpay to get him? And it's like you've got to follow this draft chart. It's very confusing. The whole thing's weird. Bottom line is it's the NFL. Do you have a starting quarterback that can WINNI games? If you do, you're off to a good start and then you just go from there. And in that division, look talked about it last week, talked about it before. Super Bowl hangovers are real, and people can try and to diminish that and dismiss it all they want, but super Bowl hangovers are real. The Niners are going to naturally take a step back, most likely because outside of Kansas City and New England, most likely they're going to take a step back. And the most logical team to step up and win that division if it's not the Niners, is the Rams. Arizona's still coming back, Kyler Murray's coming back from injury. They're a young team trying to ascend and turn around their organization, and we have no idea what to expect from Seattle. So there's an opportunity for the Rams.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I'll be honest with you, even if the forty nine ers were not about to take a step back, if Stafford's healthy, I think the Rams are as good as a forty nine ers period. I mean I do.
Speaker 2: If they could just avoid having to play the forty nine ers, like that would be I mean, that'd be great for everybody. Like if they could just avoid having to run into Kyle Shanahan, who has just owned them for all this time, Like that would be. That would be something for everybody outside of the NFC title game, which you know some would say Jimmy Garoppolo gave up, So there is that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So anyway, the Rams have made their move and they're fine. Here's something that's interesting in the NFL. You know, teams are owned by individuals, families or individuals. Corporations don't buy teams. For example, in Major League Baseball, Googenheim owns the Dodgers. Yeah, but the NFL has always kept it we want individuals, not not private equity people. Well that's changed now now the NFL is going to entertain private equity owners. Why why would they do that? Do you think Jonas?
Speaker 2: Probably for money, more money, more stability, you know, if there's if there's an issue, maybe easier to get you know, get a team away from one guy who's holding the team hostage a la Daniel Snyder or some of these other guys. That would be my guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, here's that's one reason. I'll give you another one because a private equity firm probably can generate more revenue than an individual to buy a team, and with the costs of teams exploding, they need people with a lot of money. I mean, what did they pay for the Redskins? Six billion?
Speaker 2: I mean, geez, Freddy, are you allowed to still call them that?
Speaker 1: Oh jeez?
Speaker 2: I mean, why do you have a heart? For God's sakes?
Speaker 1: What they pay for the Commanders?
Speaker 2: Can I just apologize first and foremost, let me just apologize to all our friends that are listening in Washington, DC on the iHeart app. I just want to apologize if fred had to bring up something awful like.
Speaker 1: That, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, slip of the tongue.
Speaker 2: How could you?
Speaker 1: All right? Was it six billion?
Speaker 2: Though?
Speaker 1: Jonas? I think it was six billion?
Speaker 2: Okay, that's correct, Yes, all right?
Speaker 1: Well, so what would the Dallas Cowboys go for? Jones ever sold them? I mean ten billion? Twelve billion?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got. They were valued at ten billion by Sportico recently.
Speaker 1: Okay, ten billion dollars. Unless you're Steve Balmer, that's you know, or stand cronky, you probably don't have that just sitting in the couch. So they're going to need people with more money to keep buying these franchises, and of course the goal is for everybody to sell as high as they can every time. It's just like if you're moving into a house in a neighborhood, you know, you might look for the lowest priced house, but the goal for everybody in the neighborhood is to keep the prices as high as they can. Yes, the comps work, and it's the same way in pro sports. The comps.
Speaker 2: That's why when you see one of your neighbors doing some work and you're really annoyed that they're fixing up the house because they've got machines going all day, just shut up, deal with it for a couple of weeks because they're increasing the property value of the neighborhood by improving the home. So just just wear it. And also, I think, if I'm not mistaken, Dan Snyder when he bought the team formerly known as the name that nobody's allowed to say except for Fred apparently, he bought it for I think eight hundred million, if I'm not mistaken, and ended up turning around and selling it for six billion. Right now, he was fine, like fifty million dollars for some season ticket shenanigans and all the other drama that was going on there, but six billion dollars he got for that team. So yeah, it's damn the NFL's flush with cash.
Speaker 1: Good. Oh yeah, oh yeah, that's not a problem. People have money, and people are going to spend the money. Look at it like this. When Guggenheim bought the Dodgers, people thought they go for like one one point seven billion, that's what they thought. One six one seven. Gugenheim said, we don't even have to open the auction. Here's two billion dollars. Will you take it? Done? Okay, that's set the mark for baseball. Steve Balmer, all right, he's going to buy the Clippers. What should that have gone for? I don't know, but certainly people were dumbfounded when he offered two billion dollars done?
Speaker 2: So you aren't the Celtics going to go for six I think the Celtics are up and there's conversations they're going to go for six billion. If I'm not mistaken, maybe, but.
Speaker 1: They should who knows. You're a big market, yes, with an established brand, they should go for that much.
Speaker 2: And it's also we've talked about this before, I'm sure, but it's also when you're looking at live sports, it really is the only appointment television that there is left because everything else you can stream, you can binge watch. A lot of people will just wait until something comes out so they can binge watch the entire thing because Netflix changed the game for everybody, because Netflix gave you the ability to blow through a season of Stranger Things or Last Chance You or any of these at Narcos, any of these shows, and so now you're like, all right, so where's the place that you have to be at and watch in real time? And the only thing you got is sports and these owners all know that, and these leagues all know it. That's why these ridiculous prices are out there for Sunday ticket and all the other things that come along with it, because they're like, we're kind of the only show in town because you can't wait for it to be over and binge watch it all because everybody else is already on board watching it in real time. And I think these leagues and these owners looking at this going well, damn, like, let's go ahead and take advantage of this while we got it. And that's why you're seeing maybe some you know, shop their team around and others out there in others leagues being open minded to some of these other revenue streams that are being brought in because they're like, we're making so much money, how far can we push this thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well they're going to keep pushing and keep pushing, and franchise valuations will only increase. And with the media rites deal. And I've said this many times, Jonas, I mean, we work in sports radio. These are all TV shows now, it's not even really about sports anymore. These are TV shows, every one of them. And the better the show, the more money the network televising it makes. And that's why they're willing to spend all of this money for rights fees, because this is how they can try to stay in the game. If you don't have live sports, you're basically dead.
Speaker 2: And by the way, like for example, on Labor Day, Netflix is running Joey Chestnut for there's Kobayashi an in a hot dog eating contest. And that was why Joey Chestnut couldn't be a part of the Fourth of July Extravaganza Coney Island, Like I want to know what the numbers are going to be for that event and how many people are watching that in comparison, because Netflix basically looked this and said all right, well, like, why don't we just turn this into event here? It is do you have our subscription it's whatever, fifteen dollars a month, whatever. You can watch these guys go mono imano, like the WWE's gonna have Monday Night Raw on Netflix. Like you're seeing all of these streaming services get involved, and it's just it's a completely different and look, sometimes it's a little bit of a pain in the ass. I would like to just be able to turn on my TV, go to a channel and let it that just be it. But nowadays you got to turn it on, get the other remote out, find the streaming app and get to it. But these owners are looking around going, yeah, we understand that's like an extra step for you, but that's an extra million dollar plus a game for us, and that's why they're taking full advantage of it.
Speaker 1: Okay, as we continue to much to get to the NBA Coaches Panel and executive panel is out, so we'll see what the league thinks about what's going to happen. And when we come back, let's get into those deals. The big deal signed in the n