Speaker 1: Well, welcome to gambling. What Yeah, you been on a hunch? What do you bet on? Just picture strikeouts?
Speaker 2: You know? Okay, sick.
Speaker 3: The Raiders have bench quarterback Gardner Minshew for Aidan O'Connell after they are lost to the Broncos on Sunday.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Raiders are just dysfunction.
Speaker 2: They always have a lot. Next topic, you purchased because of Brady and back.
Speaker 4: Of the Yeah, you know, like my first video game I got, I don't know, I think it was Matt I don't know the first video and game I got.
Speaker 2: I played with the Patriots and that's just like how okay, And you know, like Randy Moss something like yeah, and.
Speaker 1: You're and you're not so cold? Yeah you got you guys have had terrible childhood.
Speaker 4: You know you didn't now that was It's okay, it's okay.
Speaker 3: The Saints have announced that rookie Spencer Radler will be starting Week six with Derek Carr injured.
Speaker 4: I'm excited for that one. I'm not gonna lie. I like I like Rattler. I just like him as I don't know, isn't he from az too?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Right, yeah, he's from Yeah.
Speaker 4: He was like yeah, I don't know, he's just a lot of people have been down in them.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's just gonna ask you because you played the cal Kelly is the Arizona football it was on a football high school football? Is it getting a rep now at least like Phoenix that can play? I mean honestly, yeah, yeah, definitely because quarterbacks would coming down.
Speaker 4: Because yeah, because when you when you when you talk about high school football, there's Cali, Texas, Georgia, you know, all of that, but then when you look at the West Coast, it's definitely not As is definitely up there for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the quarterbacks have been pretty pretty good. Yeah, I know, yeah, Brock Party other guys. Yeah, and not He's not like spectacular, but he's a pretty good quarterback.
Speaker 2: He's doing the job. Top NFL guy. Aaron Rodgers resent the rumor that he had a hand and Robert Sawids firing on the Pat macacation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did he have a quote of him saying anything, because I don't believe what do you guys think? You don't think Aaron had had anything he.
Speaker 3: Had anything to do with He didn't have the final decision to.
Speaker 1: Know of course, now, but hey, but if you want us to win the Sea. Yeah, and he's one of those dudes, you know, he's one of those dudes that kind of you know that he has influenced one. Of course you do that. But if he's not happy, you're going to figure out a way to make him happy.
Speaker 2: And but he's always unhappy. That's the thing.
Speaker 4: Bring DeVante right right, I'm gonna talk.
Speaker 1: You have the eye patch, the eye thing that with Dickens Phoenix.
Speaker 2: No, you could that he's.
Speaker 1: Gonna get fined because he had, you know, a couple of cuss words in the eye patch.
Speaker 2: You know, I don't f and lose or something like that. Give me, I don't always scoring a touchdown all season.
Speaker 1: Right, he says, give me the ball? It was something. It was part of your team though. You and j are kiss of death.
Speaker 3: Oh no, and uh I think I'm the last play that game against the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: You like yan Yeah, the.
Speaker 3: Guy's face mask, Oh yeah, that was yeah.
Speaker 4: You know you heard what the corner said after that. They said he said the Steelers, Yeah, they need a true receiver one because making sucks.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well let me ask you, because you're you're receiver, you're running back? Yeah, why are receiver said, divas their divas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but you know, I don't I don't know.
Speaker 4: I really don't know. I couldn't tell you what they are. They are not definitely for sure.
Speaker 1: Give me the damn ball. I could do stuff. You know, I get it. You gotta be confident in yourself. But there's a point of, you know, making the story about you all the time.
Speaker 4: But then if you lose, though, it's like maybe no, yeah, I get I get I get it.
Speaker 2: It's not my fault. It's my fault. That's how they are.
Speaker 3: More into the the Dodgers Padres series, there was some drama with Manny Machado.
Speaker 2: The Podgers manager.
Speaker 3: Mike schult came to his defense about him firing the ball into the Dodgers dugout at.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah video what happened barely like it was a soft Yeah, you just he got the ball like the pitcher wasn't using it, so he just threw it towards like the Dodgers dug out in that.
Speaker 2: Area, And did he go inside the dugout? I don't think it went and.
Speaker 3: It Yeah, And then after the game, Dave Roberts, the Dodgers manager, kind of came out and like accused him of doing it on purpose.
Speaker 2: And then you know, Mike, no, I think they said they were like investigating, but they didn't find it. Did you see the fight though? I guess when the guy cut the ball, cut the home run, cut the.
Speaker 3: Home run, yeah, prof are Yeah, and then that's when the Dodgers fans were throwing the stuff back into the sands.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's all I got. Okay, let's see what he got. Yeah, a lot of time. So if anybody wants to call, please do, please call in. I'm gonna still try something del soul stuff.
Speaker 4: Uh be a final tomorrow though, really just the links and the.
Speaker 3: Liberty links and the liberty those is that best of seven are still best of fun.
Speaker 1: I think it's mm hmm. I think it's the best of seven. Yeah, I think so too. Yeah, yeah, that's best.
Speaker 2: What else going on? Anything else? Drake may starting? Yeah, because everybody's happy happy about that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I'm happy to you know, let's see if we need a quarterback this draft where he's our guy.
Speaker 3: You know, we don't know, but I think it. I don't know if it was the best time to do it, but I think you know, see what you got. It's okayme My Patriots will reign again. We will come back on top. Eventually we're getting We're getting Travis hunder this draft.
Speaker 2: I'm calling it. Oh yeah, okay, you got a quarterback forget whatever we need? Travis Hunter? What position?
Speaker 4: He's playing both sides and every time he scores, were playing that anthem.
Speaker 2: So yeah, no anything else.
Speaker 1: Guys, you guys want to call please do five to two oh four one six, seventy four forty.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we can go back more into the kill blood thing you're talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just think let me let me go through this real quick. Just you know, for the moment you walk into Casino del Sol, you're greeted by a diverse and robust selection of restaurants that cater to any craving that you may have, from the award Winny p Y Steakhouse to the laid back diner of Mobi's Discover the taste of Casino del Sold during your next visit Discover with Soul will be there tomorrow. Obviously, visit mobis for the chef's seasonal selection apple cider, barbecue wings. There's a lot of the spa, there's the the Bingo breast awareness. They have that Friday First Friday. I'm sorry every month. That just happened last week. Obviously a lot of things to do with the sportsbook and making great bets. If you if you're not Henry, are you not Henry, You're You're Matt. I don't want you to go with that's a wedding. Kelly, you due man, you do, but you're not treading that way, So I stay away. Little Wheel Big Money Club Soul members have a chance to win up to one thousand dollars in free play at Del Soul every Saturday October sixth through November thirtieth, and up to five hundred at Casino of the Sun, plus receive an invite to the Grand Finale on Saturday, November thirtieth for a chance to win up to ten thousand dollars in cash at Casino Del So. So I'm looking forward to going there, seeing Jay. I haven't seen him since PS. I guess a wee could two go? Yeah, yeah, yeah, don't get anything else anything else?
Speaker 2: Uba.
Speaker 1: I know they had a press commerce today with Keena. I think it was I didn't see that. I didn't see yesterdays with the new a offensive coordinator. So I'm sure you guys are hoping that changes into being a better offensive coordinator.
Speaker 3: Right, We'll see what happens. Just go back to what they did against Utah. That play calling was great, and then they why was it great? What made it great?
Speaker 2: They?
Speaker 3: I think they ran the ball on the right times. They went deep at the right times when it is necessary. I think sometimes they might have they still are throwing the ball down the field a little too much instead of getting it out faster that game, but then this game they kind of went backwards.
Speaker 2: They were trying to go deep too much.
Speaker 1: Right, right, And you talked about it. He's gone more than twenty yards a few too many times. Yeah, three times this year?
Speaker 2: Three teps.
Speaker 1: Okay, hey we got a call, Thanks for calling. You're on the air.
Speaker 6: Thanks Steve.
Speaker 7: This is done.
Speaker 5: How you doing?
Speaker 2: What's going on?
Speaker 1: Done?
Speaker 2: Much?
Speaker 6: You're feeling younger with all them young guys.
Speaker 1: I'm feeling at least I don't have to come up with the names faster because they already know the names.
Speaker 6: You gotta be careful though, they make you pay, no, don't go to eat, don't go eat right.
Speaker 2: Make you bad?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 6: Hey, you know how if if the Padres beat them Dodgers tonight, I don't know. We might have to keep an eye on our boy, Jay.
Speaker 2: No, I know you're right.
Speaker 1: In fact, I was going to my Facebook memories earlier today and this must have been twenty twenty one or nineteen. I can't remember when the Dodgers were, you know, heavy favorites and they lost and I put that LA might burn down because they lost in an upset, big upset, And someone says to me, don't worry, LA.
Speaker 2: People don't care about things like this. But the Dodgers do.
Speaker 6: The Dodger fans do, I mean they, I mean they were. They're acting horribly to the Padres bullpen and and all that stuff when they were playing in LA. And if the Padres win tonight, especially if they win tonight, if they win this series three games to one, they probably changed their name to the Dodger Daddies.
Speaker 2: And I read.
Speaker 6: It's good that Jay's only on once a week because there will be nothing but crying till the.
Speaker 8: Spring training starts, because because he.
Speaker 6: Will get to pitch.
Speaker 1: Now yeah oh yeah, yeah true true. Do you think that they'll get rid of Roberts? They didn't want it?
Speaker 6: You almost have to you have the roster. You know, these ball players at this level, it's not like you're coaching them. You're making out the lineup and you're you're deciding when to change pitchers. I mean, there's a lot of guys that can do that. I mean, too bad that the Reds already got Frankcona. Had had the Reds not came calling, Roberts would be gone and the Dodgers would have been hot for Francona.
Speaker 1: Right, No, I think good point. And do you do you follow baseball? Do you follow baseball heavily or consistently?
Speaker 2: Not?
Speaker 9: Really?
Speaker 6: Not anymore. I mean they I don't like. I don't like the way they play it anymore. They play they kind of play baseball during the playoffs a little bit, but it's still too much of standing around waiting for a guy to hit a home run. And you know, that's it's like watching men's tennis. Nobody can play like that, right, That's why the women's game, if you want to watch tennis, the women's game is a lot more enjoyable because you know, it's it's a.
Speaker 2: Lot more human.
Speaker 6: You know, it's like people can play like that, right, Well, not very few people, but it's it's it's it's a lot easier to watch too well.
Speaker 1: And what I wanted to ask you if you followed it, if you followed it, uh, you know, DoD blessed them.
Speaker 2: Terry Francoto and some of.
Speaker 1: The other guys, they're they're kind of older managers who are recycled and not that not that disparaged Terry, but you know what I'm saying, it's all the old dudes that come back and save programs.
Speaker 2: You don't see any of the up and comers. And maybe they are there, but I don't know enough to know who they are.
Speaker 6: Yeah, not so much in baseball. You know, it's like it's like for years in the NFL that used to recycle, you know, just wash off the old coach, dry him off and then he'd get another job. And now now all these teams are going for the hot you know, the hot coordinators getting their jobs and the young guys, you know, because I think it's more analytical as far as that goes, and I think baseball is baseball is still another beast, I mean, because everybody's gotten into analytics and so now you know, you could get AI to.
Speaker 2: Manage the team.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, these guys belcheck. Will he go to the Jets?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think so. Herry, Yeah, there's a chance. Twenty five years ago he stayed for five days.
Speaker 2: I don't think that.
Speaker 6: I don't think that. If the Jets didn't have Rogers, that might be a possibility. If there was somebody else at that kind of at that level, a different quarterback, he might entertain it if he's itching, but he not. He might not, he might not be itching. It's like Jimmy Johnson never came back.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, and you want to leave on top too? Why mess with it with Jimmy Johnson?
Speaker 2: Is that depends? Yeah?
Speaker 6: You know right, John Payton's in Denver. You know he was, he was sort of on top. I mean, he won a Super Bowl in New Orleans.
Speaker 2: But we sort of sort of on top, like sort of pregnant Dunn.
Speaker 6: There's no thing a sort of pregnant exactly exactly.
Speaker 8: Thank you for.
Speaker 2: Where she is or she is, that's exactly. Are you in town? Are you going to go visit us tomorrow at the Dulsel?
Speaker 6: I kind of depends. I'm working out of town tomorrow, so I don't know if I'll be back in town in time. Alright, if I get a shot, I'll try to do that because I will be coming from the south.
Speaker 1: Okay, come and see us if you have a chance. All right, all right, yes, thanks for the call down. Yeah all ye, take care. Hey, let's go take a break. We'll get ahold of Rocky the rows on the other side.
Speaker 7: Now your chance to win one thousand dollars. Just enter this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 2: Cash.
Speaker 7: That's cash. Enter in right now Block Sports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 10: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 2: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 10: Discover with Soul Casino del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 2: Are you ready Enterprise of Fasco, YUCKI try.
Speaker 11: The window depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. The aisles of instock cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you whether you're choosing for Monday to Go designs or creating a custom masterpiece.
Speaker 2: We can help you.
Speaker 11: Select the perfect wood, type, color, and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your look. Find a location near you at the window deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera here to talk about Doratle Rock and Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equipments?
Speaker 1: Arizona Health Arizona Health, Arizona Health.
Speaker 2: Of course, to.
Speaker 12: Feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve. Arizona Health the.
Speaker 2: Leading edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 13: On twenty second, just west of will Not School and the fall sports season are in full stride. Time to give that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a crisp looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps, shorts.
Speaker 2: Or long sleeve follows.
Speaker 13: And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season For over one thousand fun items to choose room come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardsaz dot com or see our Idea Center at two twenty eight West Rackman Street.
Speaker 2: At Nova Home Loans.
Speaker 14: We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltepeteam dot com, that's volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven, Arizon AA b K nine two nine four two equal housing opportunity, Got to commitment to Lilydrix syncredit grates and avaiable loan programs or something to change with the don't notice?
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 13: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in sports cards.
Speaker 2: And trading card games.
Speaker 13: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on e Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 15: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than ever at Pyramid Federal Credit Unions. Our one rate auto loan is for everyone, one rate for a single competitive rate, no matter your credit score.
Speaker 2: You can borrow better with peering it.
Speaker 15: For details or to apply online, visit Pyramid FCU dot com Slash one rate. Pyramid Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 5: Got bugs, termites, fees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist that's can't run or high from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 1: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you? He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money, they will be able to sell the home for a much higher price. Danny Roth with Oarmny Holmes International is the realist state consultant in Tucson that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling at home Danny Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 7: This is I on the Ball with Steve Ramiro on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. Subscribe now to the podcast on the iHeartRadio WIP just search I on the Ball.
Speaker 2: Hey, welcome you back to I in the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera. Now on the phone.
Speaker 1: We have a Rocky the Rose, formerput deputy athletic director.
Speaker 2: How are you, Rocky?
Speaker 9: Hi, I'm doing great.
Speaker 8: Thanks, although this hot weather is doing me.
Speaker 2: Are you in town? Are you in town?
Speaker 16: I am? I am just fairly.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, Rocky, let me see.
Speaker 1: I imagine you right now in the Himalayas taking photos of something, some sheep within snow or something. You know, great photos that you do and you don't have to worry about today's day to day of being an athletic director.
Speaker 9: How fun is such a joy? Yeah, and polar Bears are what's up next? So you were close cold weather so it's coming. But oh yeah, I think that honestly, I think of that every single day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yes, it's get even you know, we've talked, We've had you on the show a lot during this crazy times, and it gets even crazier today. There is no are they're going to do away with no national letter of intent.
Speaker 2: What's next?
Speaker 14: I know.
Speaker 9: The one I'm just floored over is doing away with scholarship counts. Eventually, if this house settlement, you know, finalizes and goes through, Uh, they're gonna do away with scholarship counts and have roster caps so that everybody then on the team can have a full ride, no matter which sport. So they're thinking, I heard the already with football.
Speaker 16: You know, we have eighty.
Speaker 9: Five full right scholarships for football. It's going up. It would go up to one hundred and five with this house settlement and all of them could get full rides. And then on top of that, of course, the house settlement money where the athletic department can pay the athletes for nil directly, you know, up to twenty two million per athletic department. So wow, that's that really is startling because back in the eighties is when we had one hundred and five scholarships for football and then it was cut back to eighty five and it's been that way since the middle of the eighties. So now turning again, we're on a big, a big ferris wheel. We're just going round and round and round.
Speaker 1: So these are the times that you probably were thankful for a guy named John Parrot who kind of kept us under control.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, John and I talked frequently, and actually we were you know, we were kind of laughing because we.
Speaker 8: Always we were doomed day all the time.
Speaker 9: You know, that's that was our outlook to make sure we stayed you know, we were on budget every year thanks to JP and his great accounting ability, and you know, now he's in our Hall of Fame, which is just really worthy and terrific. But you know, our five year.
Speaker 16: Forecast was always we were going to be.
Speaker 9: In the hole and it was over.
Speaker 8: We're gonna have the closed shop, right right.
Speaker 9: It's just always like that and yet we survived, right, we always survived. Something came along and it got better. But you know, so I do truly believe if we live through this, if athletics include athletics, live through all of this, yes.
Speaker 16: Nothing's going to be able to stop it.
Speaker 9: We used to always think there if there would.
Speaker 16: Never be another day, and I don't know now.
Speaker 1: So I have a couple of my interns in and Matt had a question and he asked me the question why don't you ask you? But and just the nil thing that will they continue or will it end?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Like how is Matt the answern new intern here? Yeah?
Speaker 4: And I owe yeah. Do you think like it's gonna get crazy like million, like twenty million per like what can a player get that you will see in the future.
Speaker 9: Well, part of the house settlement is first that.
Speaker 8: You know, we're gonna pay back athletes back to twenty.
Speaker 9: Sixteen, and there's like four hundred thousand of them that can file a claim for part of the two point eight billion dollars and each one of the universities will have to take a chunk of that two point eight million dollars. It'll come out of their payouts from the NCAA. Then on top of that, they're going to allow athletic departments to pay up to twenty two percent of their revenue back to athletes every year, which with a cap on that.
Speaker 8: Of twenty two million. Now, how they're going to determine who.
Speaker 9: Gets that money and how it's split amongst all the athletes, that's yet to be determined. But the second step to that is that nils are outside collectives to outside entities, let's say, outside of the university. Can still provide nil money, but it's going to be highly monitored unlike it is right now.
Speaker 8: In other words, it's going to have to be for market value. It's going to have to be not.
Speaker 16: For pay for play. Now, how they decern that, don't ask me.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I have no idea, but I do think it'll slow that down.
Speaker 4: So I guess what I was trying to get at was like, for example, our football team, McMillan and Noah, like, do you ever see them getting like what ten million?
Speaker 9: Because you know, well, no, I don't. Do I see them getting a lot more money? Absolutely absolutely, And I'm happy for that because the athletes are the core.
Speaker 2: Of what we do.
Speaker 9: But do I see that I'm not sure, just because of what I just stated with the House Settlement limiting the departments to twenty two million and then now limiting outside entities to certain factors.
Speaker 16: I don't see that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 16: Does that mean stuff happens under.
Speaker 9: The table or there a way to produce a market value of ten million dollars for somebody? Possibly?
Speaker 16: Nothing would surprise me.
Speaker 1: So back in the day, and you were my go to person because well you just were for the like raids. The APR is a APR APR and just you know, people got in trouble. Uh you know, I'd go to Jim too, of course some other people, but but those seems so long. So that was the biggest struggle. Right now, it's like, holy crap, you g's who my neighbor is up in the foot hills.
Speaker 2: It's not it.
Speaker 16: Does.
Speaker 9: It makes me kind of giggle because it looks back. It's like we were babies back then.
Speaker 2: Right right?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Do you This is a dumb question, but you know that's what I'm about. Uh.
Speaker 1: I know you have a great life. You're a great photographer, and who knew that that was in you?
Speaker 2: So word? Did you always know that?
Speaker 1: But let's get to that in a sec Uh do you kind of reminisce with John or even the gym? I sorry, can you hear me better?
Speaker 14: Now?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, So when you're when you're out with.
Speaker 1: The guy Jim and John or whomever, uh, even and your husband, do you kind of talk about stuff where now I just lost my train of thought, where oh that this is this is solvable and this is how you would do it? Or is it going to be not solvable?
Speaker 9: Yeah, that's exactly where we go with this. But yeah, it's it's yeah, that's exactly where we go. I can't even imagine right now. Uh, you know what Desiree has in front of her, what the athletic department has in front of them, you know, coming off of COVID debt and now facing a house.
Speaker 8: Settlement at twenty two million and.
Speaker 9: Two point eight part of the two point eight million, and you know, and then now these roster caps are all in. The scholarships are going to go away, but these rosters are going to expand exponentially, and you know, the scheduling costs alone for the Big twelve. You know, the schedules aren't even finalized yet for this year. So how do you how do you produce a budget when you don't even know where your softball team is going to be flying to or your baseball team. You know, at this point, it's it's going to take years to shake this out, you know, with the new conference costs and new scheduling and all the back debt and everything.
Speaker 2: Just years.
Speaker 1: I should know this question, and I hope you do so now. Now in a couple of years, when the schools are going to get twenty million dollars to spend on the kids, where the kids are going to get You're talking Title nine. So if UA has five hundred and fifty kids, are they all going to get the same amount?
Speaker 16: Well, that's to be determined.
Speaker 9: You know. I think I can't imagine that. I think it's going to have to be based on marketability and how they define that.
Speaker 2: Good luck, right, good luck right?
Speaker 9: I mean, because I mean think.
Speaker 8: Back at some of our outstanding athletes, you know, back in the day.
Speaker 16: I mean, I think it's obvious to you know, put.
Speaker 8: Something high amount on Sean Elliott, for instance, but.
Speaker 9: Then you had Jenny Finch, had Jenny Finch. It's very marketable, and you know, we have the same level of athletes right now at the University of Arizona. So how you determine that marketability and they're value of their nil that's going to take some bigger brains than.
Speaker 16: I have right now.
Speaker 2: Well, let me see by the way.
Speaker 9: That twenty two million comes out of their budgets. See, you're not getting that from somebody.
Speaker 16: I was just telling the budget.
Speaker 1: I was just telling the guys here, you already have no money in the pockets. How are you going to come up with the twenty two million when you have no money in the pockets.
Speaker 2: That's it. Let me go back to you.
Speaker 1: Let me go to your example with Sean and to Jenny. Well, little Rocky the Rose who works your butt off just as hard as everybody else is going to get pittance.
Speaker 16: Yeah, good point.
Speaker 1: I mean you're working just as hard as them. Maybe you not have the same talent, right, but you're there every day. You don't miss practice, you're not sitting because of an injury.
Speaker 2: What about me?
Speaker 9: I know, well, you know that's been the argument is. I think all the psychologists out there, sports psychologists in particular, are watching this very closely to see the team dynamics that happens when one player gets you know, exponentially more money than the other than some other player who's working just as.
Speaker 16: Hard, right, And how that's gonna work?
Speaker 8: Yeah, Well, when.
Speaker 1: All this popped up two three years ago, and I thought this was gonna happen, and well, I didn't know how it was gonna happen. But okay, so the kids are gonna get money for more power to them to deserve it, you know, making me five ten thousand dollars whatever. And I'm thinking, okay, and let's say, Kadeen, I'll bring you Kadeen Carry, Kadeen Carry, or that great running back gets a lot of the money fifty thousand. But I'm the center, and I'm the tackle that helps him, creates, creates holes for him. And I'm getting five, five, six thousand. Well what the hell he would be doing this if I wasn't opening holes for him.
Speaker 9: Oh my gosh. That so reminds me of one of our football players who just passed away.
Speaker 16: He played with the.
Speaker 9: Cactus comment remember, yes, of course, and he always said, Hey, I.
Speaker 16: Was the wing back.
Speaker 9: I'm the one that opened all the holes for him. Why didn't I get pressed?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 9: Think about that? That was the nineteen what sixties? Yes, exactly. Yeah, I'm glad I'm not the person making those decisions, right, I'm not, And I know I know, you know they're going to have to do this too with that two point eight billion dollars. You know, they're looking back at four hundred thousand athletes if they all file claims and are going to try to figure out values. I read though somewhere that there is one athlete that they've already identified. It's not football, not men's or women's basketball, but they value already at that athlete.
Speaker 8: I don't know if it's male or female. Getting one point eight five million dollars.
Speaker 9: Wow wow, Yeah, a single athlete out of that two point eight billion dollars.
Speaker 2: Wow wow.
Speaker 9: So somebody's already in their calculating values.
Speaker 1: And where's that money coming from. Where's that money coming from?
Speaker 9: Well, it comes from the NCAAA television package money, and you know.
Speaker 16: They distribute that.
Speaker 9: That's why we're members of the NCAAA. We share that money so art and every year they send us a check, Well that will come out of that check, so we'll get less money because the two point eight billion dollars is going to come off the top. So uh yeah. So that's a cut on top of all this other uh you know, money management you're trying to do. And then did you read about Reggie book trying to eat filing? Oh right, right, yeah, so let's yeah, let's go back now, all the way back to two thousand, right.
Speaker 1: Right, and and we but wink wink, he didn't get paid right right right right Greek. So so we had Jim on maybe a week or so ago, and he's fantastic because you know, and I said, Jim, okay, so I'm I'm I'm a young Rocky of the Rose or Jim and Jim living Good and you and you wanted to be you know, you're you're nineteen eighteen years old. You want to go to school and become the current Rocky? Who you who's an A D. Would you want to go back and become the ad given all the stuff that you have to you with?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 16: Absolutely not.
Speaker 9: And that's what worries me about the profession is what kind of people are we going to get that are going to attempt to.
Speaker 2: Come into this.
Speaker 9: I mean, obviously they're risk takers, they're you know, they're willing, uh you know, so, but I first of all, I just I can't imagine surviving. And it's not the administrators, honestly that I'm worried about.
Speaker 2: It's the coaches. Yeah, the coaches.
Speaker 9: They're having to start over every single year because kids are going into transfer portals, they're getting offered more money somewhere else. They have no idea.
Speaker 16: I heard at one of the.
Speaker 8: Bowl games this year both coaches, not not the one we were in, but both coaches were standing out in the hallway before the game trying to talk kids into.
Speaker 9: Not entering transferable and trying to come up with nil money.
Speaker 2: I could I could see that. I can see.
Speaker 1: Well, then you saw the the kids in Vegas, right, I'm three, and oh now I'm gone holding people hostage exactly exactly.
Speaker 9: So honestly, it's the coaches. I just I mean, you don't want coaches that are just in it for the money, you know, to make millions of dollars. There's still got to be a philosophical, you know, part of.
Speaker 16: You that wants to, as we always say, grow young men.
Speaker 14: And women, you know.
Speaker 16: And but man, I would never.
Speaker 8: Take on that challenge, right.
Speaker 16: That worries me more.
Speaker 9: I think administrations, Yeah, it's a challenge, and it's risk taking and sure you know you have a little more control, but coaches have no control at the point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you wanted to ask you a question about the transfer Oh yeah, yeah, so I have a question with all this NIO you know and transfer portal, some schools still have like on campus football traves. Does that go through you, as like the ad of the sports department? Like, does that go through you if a school wants to hold football chios or basketball childs for the school.
Speaker 16: I'm sorry, yeah, you broke up a little bit.
Speaker 4: Does the school have what like for example, let's say school wants to hold football childs or basketball childs. Does that go through you to get it to make it happen? If that makes sense.
Speaker 16: For the nil?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, just for.
Speaker 1: Just for college students, because so you being the ad and the tryouts if like if fish or somebody wanted to have tryouts to get some more players on walk ons otherwise, do they have to go through you to get approval to do it?
Speaker 8: Oh? Uh no, as long as they're within their roster limits.
Speaker 4: Okay, so it's based on just the coaches and the coach the football team.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's up to it's up to the coaches.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it's up to the coaches.
Speaker 9: Now.
Speaker 16: When I was there, we had roster limits.
Speaker 9: I don't know if they still do they still do okay, yeah, yeah, so as long as they have roster limits, yeah, they can go out and have tryouts on their own. Yep, we don't.
Speaker 8: We don't micromanage it to that level.
Speaker 1: I was gonna ask you, Okay, so I bought up your fantastic photography, did you did you know you always had this in you or just you picked up a camera when you left and you said, yeah, I gotta do something.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 9: I always loved photography, but I never really took it seriously till after I retired.
Speaker 16: But I will say this, I.
Speaker 9: Really got I got into it when I was traveling with teams and you know, we were let's just pat ourselves on the back. We were very successful.
Speaker 8: In the nineties and two thousands, and we won.
Speaker 16: Twenty one national championships.
Speaker 9: Most practically every year, all of our teams were in postseason, and either Jim or I or Greg and I or you know, said and I we would we would either split them up or we always were at postseason because that was important to be there and to travel with the teams. I preferred to not really sit in the stands because just because you get nervous and stuff. And then we had no photographers. Back then, we had no reason to. There was no social media. We didn't need videos to post every five minutes, you know, on social media. So but the athletes would say, hey, would you take my picture? And we would be there sometimes. You know, our second home was in Oklahoma City, but we would be there for two weeks. True, So I just I'd rent my own car and take off and explore and take my camera with me. And then, you know, I would even take pictures down all of our national championships in softball. I think those photos are all mine. I would run down there when we won and you know, take pictures of the celebrations and all of that. So yeah, I always had I always.
Speaker 8: I always enjoyed photography. But now it's my second act.
Speaker 9: Everybody could follow me. I'm on Instagram.
Speaker 7: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was gonna tell them photography can how can they follow you on Instagram?
Speaker 2: And are the photos that you get?
Speaker 1: And I've inquired about this because you took some fantastic photos of the of the fire three or four years ago. Oh ye, so how can they follow you on Instagram? And are your photos for sale?
Speaker 14: Oh?
Speaker 9: They are if you go to Instagram. There's a a website.
Speaker 8: I'm with Madera's Gallery, the Number one gallery.
Speaker 9: Yeah and yeah, so there's some photos that are available now for printing that are on the Madera's Gallery website. So yeah, and but you know I say that, but you know, I'm just doing it for the love and I love the adventure and exploring. And I better see some baby polar Bears next week.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's that's funny.
Speaker 9: I think think that vision vision baby polar Bears for me.
Speaker 1: And had you not had I not known you got hacked, I was ready to buy ten T shirts for my.
Speaker 8: Family with my name on them, like I would sell T shirts with my name on him.
Speaker 2: That was funny.
Speaker 9: I just like, I just love somebody's one comment though, who said, just think of the nil money you could make that?
Speaker 1: Right, finally, right, finally, a little little Rocky the roses paid off. Both Rocky, thanks thanks for talking to us and giving us some insight about the chaos that goes on at oh athletic departments.
Speaker 16: You're so welcome.
Speaker 9: Love your show.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, appreciate you.
Speaker 8: Okay, all right, take care.
Speaker 1: Rocky the Rose Deputy former deputy ad Good questions, let's come back. We're going to run out of time. On the other side, if you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for nearly forty years.
Speaker 2: Now take a look back at the Ludelsen era.
Speaker 1: In my new book, Lessons from Loot, it was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lut is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 17: Hi, this is formal wild get Leman Hindally with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your attacking. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal.
Speaker 2: Space and your life.
Speaker 17: We allf a complete line of cardio machines, multi gms and free rate equipment. I'll certify fitness ex and technicians will set you out with the right equipment.
Speaker 2: And training to get you started to keep you going.
Speaker 17: Visit our shureroom today at twenty second in Wilmot, Arizona.
Speaker 2: Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 18: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make Someday today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial daid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot Edu. Slash Someday.
Speaker 1: Hey Tucson, Steve rivera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my.
Speaker 2: Friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency.
Speaker 1: These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a thunder bender or a leaky roof. They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance with the Edmond Markets All State Agency.
Speaker 2: You're always in good hands.
Speaker 1: Visit them at twenty seven nineteen note Campbell or call him at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 19: Ladies, have you ever dreamed of playing the main event at the World Poker Tour. The Royal Rebels is a ladies only poker league and we are looking for new players to join us this fall.
Speaker 2: We have a new poker.
Speaker 19: Season starting October third. We will be playing seven games online and the winner will represent us in Vegas at the World Poker Tour. This main event seat is worth ten four hundred dollars. For more information and to register, go to www dot Royal Rebelspoker dot com.
Speaker 7: Bas Is I on the Ball on Fox Sports fourteen fifting, we want to take part in the show. Call up Steve now at five to two oh four one six seventy four to forty.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to U on the ball here Pop Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve here with me handsome hit with Henry that you did a pretty good job. Thank you, Thank you first time out our Willow. Would you grace there, Henry? He did, Okay, yeah, he wasn't too needy from you. It wasn't too some little yeah, more than what I well, there's his first second list.
Speaker 2: I know. It's cool. Did you learn anything from Brookie? Definitely? It's crazy. Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 1: These guys are making a ton of money, especially in twenty sixteen, and they might have to pay some guys before that.
Speaker 2: I wonder what, like the old big players we get like Reggie Bush.
Speaker 1: Kind of like oh yeah, yeah, it's the bibbies, the bibbies and in those dudes, you know.
Speaker 4: I wonder how college athletes feel about the NCAA like today.
Speaker 1: From back in the day or not like college athletes today, Yeah, like what do you mean what they do?
Speaker 4: You know, just like do they feel like there's still because you know how back in the day they felt like NCAA was taking advantage.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, oh no, no, it's the opposite.
Speaker 1: Now they're thanking God that this is happening, because dude, they're making something.
Speaker 2: I mean, I mean, you.
Speaker 4: Know what a couple of for sure, no for sure know but and I'm sure you could tell stories like I said, man, Walkin's getting fifty k, So like, yeah, man, they're making more money than people with at like actual carriers than this is supposed to be.
Speaker 2: No question, no question, it's a blessed.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think they deserve it because bro, they got to wake up at five thirty at They don't have a life, so it makes sense.
Speaker 1: But it's a tough life. But no one's also holding the gun to their head to make it happen. Yeah, but if you're gonna get paid at this stevel you're eighteen, nineteen, twenty years old.
Speaker 2: It's a blessing. How much money I would say, Well, if you didn't play that.
Speaker 1: Damn okay, yeah right right, but you have more to expense, right Yeah, I know that's my problem too, But I select, I select. Anybody want to call? We have about ten minutes. Ye have a ten minutes to get on the phone. Five two oh four one six seventy four forty. We'd love to hear from you. Just if you're gonna go visit us tomorrow at Del Soul. We're looking forward to that our first adventure out there, and then in two weeks we'll be back on the twenty fourth to get two shows out in Delco in the month. So should be fun, a lot of fun. It's a little ways out there if you're out in you know, in the Northwest or in the in the foothills or whatever. But it should be a lot of fun to come and see us. Anything else, guys, football, basketball? What about basketball? Back to the back to the thing. So I was talking about Caleb Love like he couldn't be the fourth best NBA dude prospect, and I respect.
Speaker 2: They haven't mad fifth on this team, got on the team. On the team. So we have Carter Bryant, Crevass, Bradley.
Speaker 1: kJ and Bradley's ahead of kJ.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Bradley is about six foot maybe maybe, And I'm not sure he's an NBA guy.
Speaker 2: He's got to become a better shooter. Got to be a better shooter. Uh. And Caleb Love? Did they just score? What happened? Not? Nothing? Okay? Okay?
Speaker 1: And Caleb Love, I don't know. The thing is he's back for a reason. Mm hmmm, because he uh they told him go back.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was surprised he did.
Speaker 4: He didn't get a combine invite, right, Ronnie James got one. I mean I get it, but still bro like, yeah, well, how old are you? You about two years.
Speaker 2: Twenty one?
Speaker 4: No, Bronnie's one year younger than men. Did you see him play back in Uh oh yeah, because he went to see her Kanyan. Actually no, I did it.
Speaker 2: I did it.
Speaker 4: But fun fact, I had lebron come in my high school because we played Bronnie's teammates.
Speaker 2: So that was a cool experience. Before covered all that I was. It was.
Speaker 4: It was honestly one of the best times of my life. It was really short life. I lived, you know, twenty one, but yeah, it was. It was very fun lebron Yeah, his wife was there. Uh. Dun Levy was there when he was on the Lakers. Yeah, a lot of people were there.
Speaker 2: It was fun. It was fun.
Speaker 4: And we beat the team they played too. So yeah, well, okay, where'd you play, uh, Pallis Shart High School. I didn't play on the basketball team, but you played on Mikey Williams. I don't know if you guys do, but yeah, yeah, and we beat him. So yeah, shout out place.
Speaker 1: A nice nice Okay again, if you want to call five two o four one six, seventy four, forty appreciate a call.
Speaker 2: See what you have to say, Nico.
Speaker 1: I know you try to call a couple of days, right, did he try.
Speaker 2: To go and we had we had the phone lines packed.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So if Niko, if you want to fill in and give us a quick call, see what's up with you and talk about football, talk about basketball.
Speaker 2: Basketball is here in two weeks. I think the first game, the twenty first, twenty first, ten days in nine days, ten days, something like that. Yeah, that's excited.
Speaker 1: Uh no, you know why. It's not gonna be a very good game. And this is what I do kind of long term cover the basketball team.
Speaker 2: And it's busy.
Speaker 1: He's really busy, and you'd be really among my other jobs, this job and another one.
Speaker 2: You have no time, you have no time. You go and you sleep and go and you sleep and you go and sleep. In fact, I've never been to a car. I've never been to a game to just watch them basketball.
Speaker 1: Oh he's gonna be you're not. You don't have a ticket package, I don't know. And you still get tickets. How does that work you?
Speaker 3: I mean you could buy tickets or an individual game, students, I don't think you can buy for individual game you just have to get the past and you can go to you.
Speaker 4: Know, you definitely could get tickets like individual games. Yeah, I think, yeah, that's I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I've I really don't. You foot it's pretty good. Yeah, no, it definitely is.
Speaker 2: I watch them. I watched them, that's for sure. I like, definitely watch you and.
Speaker 1: You don't know what they're none of your friends that you don't know? The guys, no, no, I don't you know of the football guys. Yeah, yeah, okay with two different cats, two different different team guys.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And the women.
Speaker 1: You have never been to the women's Nah? I never been to the women's No, because you know what you did even say that with no excitement? What? Nah?
Speaker 3: I actually do want to go to one. I just haven't. I gotta find someone to go with. I don't really want to go along we go together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're good. They're good.
Speaker 4: I actually ran into that's one of the girl. I forgot her name, but I ran over to one of the girls. Is it Jada Williams? Yeah, yes, yeah, she was cool.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're good. Yeah, they're good. So I'll definitely I will try to go to both games this year.
Speaker 1: Okay, well it looks like you might be both. You guys might be with me another semester. I don't know bout Henry. Yeah, another Henry coming back. Henry's coming back for another year, declaring him right now, okay, and you need it for the grade, right right, No, you don't need it for the grade.
Speaker 2: You're just gonna You're trying to learn for the credit, and I'm trying to learn.
Speaker 8: I saw you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, this might help you. This might help you definitely.
Speaker 1: So one last time, we got about five minutes, so we can just get a phone call in or if you want, five two o four one six, seventy four forty.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: What's the score of the game just started? Its still zero zero? Yeah with this is the Dodgers, Now this is the Yankees. What's the Dodger scorer? Six? Yeah, six six?
Speaker 1: So a lot of sports going on right now, football, basketball and all that. All right, I'm not just throwing anything. I know that the u A leaves Friday to Provo. It's going to be packed. Have you you know the funny thing about us something people say a rag on the on the fans, but you've seen the fans at Utah. You've seen the fans at Provo, You've seen the fans at Kansas State, and don't you guys wish because you guys are in the mix that there was when the fans were like that just kind of rabbit.
Speaker 2: Basketball. I like kind of kind of kind of ye, we're more of a basketball So yeah, so will makes sense for that and not for football. Yeah yeah, I think that.
Speaker 1: Okay, we'll see because they're crazy in basketball too. I think that you don't have any problems with how you're situated in the seats because there's a lot of because the students are where they are and the rest of the people are.
Speaker 4: I like it like that, Okay, yeah, go ahead, Yeah, I was just wondering.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we talked about allsport. Boxing's fine Tyson and what's his name? Although that's not really possible, Paul, What do you guys think about that? When's id like next month?
Speaker 2: I want I want Tyson to win.
Speaker 1: If they're gonna fight, I think he may have like a heart attack, myth fight.
Speaker 2: Really my old dudes to have heart attacks.
Speaker 4: Okay, I apologize, I apologize, but like I don't know, man so old, like.
Speaker 2: He's only fifty something, right, fifty two. Maybe that's all. That's all, man.
Speaker 1: We have this discussion Jay and I because we have you guys in the every now. So what's old to you? I mean, honestly, what's old to you? Old is anything over forty? How old is your parents? My mom's fifty seven? Is she old?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, she is very old. She looks young. She looks young though, very old. You're around the phone. I want to talk to you. Oh okay, okay, yeah, but Henry, what's the question. What's old? Oh you've already asked me this. I said, uh, sixty, yeah, I think she said older than that. Okay, what sixty? Hold are you? So I'm sixty sixty.
Speaker 1: And I'm old. My probably is I'm old, and I don't want I'm stuck in my waist. That's why I don't learn what you guys learn, because I just want to know. Although when I have to learn it, if you're good and be gone for a while and Jay's gone, I don't know what am I gonna do?
Speaker 2: But old? It's not old? Is old? I'm I like tripping for thinking forties old? Yes?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Really, yeah, you're not You're halfway there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly, Yeah, I know, I don't even consider myself a young man anymore.
Speaker 2: You know, I think this is like the prime year is the time you.
Speaker 1: Got to you know, yeah, prime year is your best times are in your thirties. You're you know, you have your stuff together, you have a job, You have a job. You know, if you have a family, you have a family. But if you don't, you have money to yourself. You can do whatever you're damn please, I'm not trying to sway you with the family or no family. But you'll have money, you'll have a job, you'll be comfortable, you can do whatever you want.
Speaker 2: Maybe have a how I enjoy your life?
Speaker 1: You know when you're forty, when you're old, uh, your when you have you have other stuff to worry about, you know, right.
Speaker 4: Exactly when you're forty you have kids. Once you have kids, to me, it changes, Yeah, it changes.
Speaker 1: I remember stuff until I didn't have kids, and then I have kids, I don't remember. Okay, we're ready, you got, we got forty one, we got you have time, I think, right, I think it's fifty five. No, no, we have plenty of times that it's fifty four. Fifty four. Oh, okay, okay, we're almost there. Bro.
Speaker 4: Thanks guys, good job, thank you. How do you guys think that the honest opinion?
Speaker 2: Good? Yeah, you're good. Well.
Speaker 1: I wasn't surprised that you were paying attention back there when you were in the house.
Speaker 2: I was, I was, I was paying attention. But then once you're on the thing, it's like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard to answers when you don't know you know the answers, but you're in the in the booth.
Speaker 2: So Jay, if you were listening, forgive me if I made any mistakes. No, you're good.
Speaker 1: Now you have another job. You have to put the podcast right, which is great. That's the most important thing right now. Okay, thanks, thanks for coming in. We'll see you Monday, right yeah, okay great, maybe after win, maybe not, hopefully