Speaker 1: Well, you're ready to do the Minnesota Goodbye? Yeah, okay, we're loaded up on cookies because staff writer Breed came by with some crumble cookies for my birthday. And I'm not as sweet. What have I said a million times? I'm not a sweet person. No, my kids hate me saying that, and I say it just to annoy them. Dad, you want a cookie. I'm not a sweet person. But there's a part in my book Bailey J where I say, when a child offers you cookies that they made, you fucking take that cookie and you tell them, and you tell them how great it was. If you're you know, if your niece or nephew made brownies and they look like shit and they're raw around the edges and burnt in the middle, and they got a fucking thumb print of pubic hair on the top of them, you take that pubic hair and you fucking eat that thing.
Speaker 2: WHOA.
Speaker 1: I don't know where a six year old would get I don't know exactly a hair or a cat hair instead, But but I mean, think about how if you know it's in my book because I think that I ran across that one time where some little kid had made cookies and I'm like, yeah, i'll have one later, and her face fell. And so the other day, Ava, who is four, that's Alison's daughter, decorated a little round pancake, you know, and she not a pancake but a pan cake. And she, you know, helped mix the batter and poured it in and then they baked it. And then she picked out the color of frosting and some red jelly other frosting and some sprinkles, and she was so proud of it. She's like, Pepa, I made you a cake. And I don't like cake. No cake is dull, but I ate the fuck out of that cake. And I told Ava how great it was, and she was so proud and she's like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I helped. There's like eggshells in it, and I'm like, this is so good, so crunchy.
Speaker 1: H Here comes an email from Sydney, who is a regular staff writer. Dave, I'm curious to know how the relationship with Gary started and why does the morning show for you for free? Okay, So we met Gary years ago, like maybe twenty five or so years ago, because we used to have a psychic named Allen Cunningham and Allen was a dear old lady that I'm sure she's gone now because this was so long ago, and a l E. N. E. Cunningham and she was really good, but then she lost her fast pitcht lost her fastball.
Speaker 2: Sure and lovely, she looks beautiful.
Speaker 1: Is she still around?
Speaker 2: I can't. Oh nope. She died in twenty sixteen at ninety four.
Speaker 1: Oh wow wow. And she was so sweet, but she seemed confused and her son was I thought that it was like, okay, he needs to let her retire, but that was his meal ticket, so he would bring her around to the radio station, and so we stopped using her. And then somebody told me about Gary Spivey. And I remember the first time Gary Spivey got off the elevator and we looked at him and I thought he was wearing an inflatable plastic, inflatable football helmet, because that's what my mind told me, right exactly, And because he has this big white wig and he gets off the elevator, I look at him and and my mind was like, inflatable plastic football helmet. Yes, No, that's his hair. And it's gotten bigger and more outrageous every year he does the show for free because we plug his eight hundred number, so in exchange for him being on, we give his number and to say go get a reading, and so he charges for readings, so and people love him a You've also mentioned, Dave you're skeptical about psychics, but also you've also say you've confide it a lot in Gary. So which is it? It's both?
Speaker 3: I mean, I feel like you can you can still be skeptic of what they're saying to you because they don't have like proof, so you can still like be skeptic. But then if they say something that you connect with, you can still believe that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And I think I've told the story a million times. I'm not going to tell it again about my dad dying and Susan and that type of thing and how Gary nailed that. So that gives me some faith in Gary. But I would not personally pay to go see a psychic. But when Gary comes in and I ask him something about something deeply personal, and Gary, like I said, there's been things I've talked about Gary that are deeply personal, and Gary knows about the thing that was, you know, like in twenty twelve that was very very awful and upsetting to me, and so Gary knows about that, and so but I mean Gary comes in and you're like, you know, you make conversation Gary, tell me should I move to Toronto? You know that type of thing. Yeah, doesn't mean you're going to like write it down and.
Speaker 2: You know what exactly?
Speaker 3: It's always like, you know, believe what resonates with you.
Speaker 1: But here's a good question. What would you ask Gary Spivey if you knew his answer would be the correct answer accurate? So I will start Gary, how what do you see me doing in the next like five or ten years career wise? Because I'd really be curious to know what I should should do? What should I do? Not what I should what will I be doing? Because he might say, well, you're gonna get fired to work at TSA, Yeah, but what should I be doing? What would you ask Gary man?
Speaker 3: Can it be kind of can I copy you? Because honestly, I do want to know. I guess like, I'd like to know if my career goes off in a way that I can afford to buy a house, because I would love to have a house someday. I would love to have I don't know, a yard, a deck, I wonder if Gary can tell me whether or not I will ever have a deck with twinkly lights on it.
Speaker 1: Okay, Jenny, what about you?
Speaker 4: Will I ever move to a state that I dream about living.
Speaker 1: In, like Oregon, Washington, Colorado.
Speaker 4: Wyoming, Pacific Northwest Ish or Colorado?
Speaker 2: Probably? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay, next one, this is from Don't Say My Name. Thanks for putting that up front. I was listening to the Minnesota Goodbye podcast talking about dating people with the same name as your family members. I briefly dated a guy in college with the same first and last name as my dad. So, what is your dad's first and last.
Speaker 4: Name, Jenny, Glenn Lutenberger?
Speaker 1: Glenn Lutenberger, So can you imagine dating a guy named Glenn lutenbergerg what's your dad's first and last name? Greg has Greg Hes, So could you ever imagine dating named Greg Hess?
Speaker 3: I think it'd be cool if I dated somebody with the last name of Hess, but it would be weird if his name was Greg.
Speaker 1: I honestly didn't think it was that weird because I don't call my dad by his first name. Okay, so there's that. The ridicule I got from my friends was less not one of my finer decisions I made as a twenty one year old, but I have no regrets because it makes for a funny story ten years later. Just had to share this with you guys. Love you and a staff rider sticker is on the way and I got through it without slipping and saying your name took good job. Here comes juan Nita. Juanita, I want to let you know that I wore your shirt the other day. The fuck around and find out shirt to my gun class the other day.
Speaker 4: Anymore, last week during the show.
Speaker 1: I did wear it last week during the show, So thank you Anita, much appreciate it. She does not send a video rant this week, but I think I haven't pre read it, but I have faith in Anita that it'll be an entertaining Still going to send my end of the week RAMT, but wanted to get an opinion on a situation that just went down involving my son. He is fifteen and has always been a very respectful kid that's never given me any problems except for the fact that he couldn't sweep or mop to save his soul. Lol. He's got a couple of friends that he hangs out with, regularly at the YMCA, but there's one in particular that kind of rubbed me the wrong way. Sure as shit, yesterday I got a call from the Onoka County Sheriff's office saying there's a situation at the WHY involving my son and his friends. Come to find out, that little shit that I didn't trust in the beginning, stole another kid's headphones. He had an excuse, I thought they were mine. My son and his other friends said, they told him, dude, those aren't yours, but he didn't listen. The kid that owned the headphone told his parents and they called the police. Now here's the part where I ask, should I be pissed or what? Was this the right thing to do?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: Because all the boys were together, and even though they know exactly who took the headphones, they are all banned from the WHY for a period of one year. They even said, though my son didn't nicely participate in the theft, he's at fault because he didn't do anything to prevent it. I mean, really, he's fucking fifteen years old. What the fuck did they want him to do? Tack a little asshole to the floor and say, don't take those damn headphones. So should I be pissed at the why for banning my son or should they have done that? Thoughts please, I'm going to come down to the side of the why, but I could be convinced otherwise. I could be persuaded otherwise because I think it's a good lesson for your son that fucking a there are some consequences. And also, don't hang out with little assholes because your friends become your luck. I'll say it again, your friends become your luck. You hang out with little asshole all of a sudden, wall fuck, I lost my backpack. Ah, fuck I missed the bus. I'll fuck I was late for school because your friends become your luck, and you'll blame it on anything. Oh I missed the bus. Well, my alarm didn't go off. Your friends become your luck. So this kid's friend, if your son hangs out with him, it's not going to be good for your son. And you might be like, well, he's kind of got a rough life and his parents are shit. Not your problem. I would say, I'm not glad, but I think it's good your son realizes by hanging out with a little fuck that he will not go to the why for a year. So what do you guys think.
Speaker 4: Well, I would say that it's really hard to convince a kid not to hang out with someone, though, because my mom did not like a couple of my friends and they were still my quote unquote best friends throughout all of my years. And it took me to like college to really understand how bad of influences certain people are, or if they're like not a good person. But when you're in school, you just want to hang out with the people that you like, have fun with, and yeah, they might like trouble making things like that, but outside of that, I'm sure like that kid is having fun with the other one, you know, that's why he's hanging out with them. Yeah, so I think it's very hard to convince a kid not to hang out with someone because their trouble. My mom always thought my best friend Carissa was a bad influence, but I was the one who was underage drinking. My friend Chrissa didn't even care about drinking and she didn't even want to drink. And she always thought Chrisa was the bad one because she was loud and she just was like kind of put off by her. And then my mom realized she's a good person. She just wasn't like she's just loud and a little bit wild in that way. But my mom always thought she was the reason I was like drinking and stuff. But I was the reason I was drinking.
Speaker 1: I understand that. Yeah, would you have changed your mind about Carissa if she stole? Would you look back and go, yeah, she stole, she was a bad person.
Speaker 2: I would.
Speaker 4: I would look back on like certain things like that because I was at least like a moral Well you could maybe argue against that since I said I was underage drinking, but I had good morals for the most part, grow up and so certain in a situation like that, yeah, I probably would know the difference between hanging out with someone who's stealing versus just like someone loud.
Speaker 1: I think the fact that the kids stole while his friends said those aren't yours, or at least that's what they claim, and then the little asshole said I thought they were mine and couldn't even apologize and couldn't even come clean and say, yeah, you know what, I shouldn't have done that. So here's a kid that I'm going to make a prediction that in this is what I've said before, the trouble kids get into when they're five is cute. It's adorable. Yeah, they put like I don't know, they poured baking powder all over the carpet. It's adorable. When they're ten, it's not so adorable. It's troublesome. Like they got into a fight at school and punched a kid. The trouble they get into at fifteen is either illegal or dangerous. Here we go, kid's fifteen years old. It's illegal. So and I don't see that kid. Honestly, I don't see Hi getting ay better, and it's not worth get rolling the dice on. But you're right, Jenny, good luck getting him to hang not hang out with that kid.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel like I wonder if you can divert your son because I'm trying to think of like a solution for it, And like, is your son interested in any after school activities?
Speaker 2: A sports?
Speaker 1: Well, he goes the why. So there's like basketball, so he goes the why.
Speaker 3: But then he goes the why with his ship friend. So like, how can we get him away from the ship friend without making it seem like.
Speaker 1: Shit in my house? Similar to my house, I'll take care of him I was just like, kid.
Speaker 3: If you get your son to meet other people and make other friends, then the shit kid is just going to slowly, you know, not be as you know, prevalent in his life anymore.
Speaker 2: So try and divert if possible.
Speaker 3: Because if I feel like, if you tell a kid not to do something, they're gonna do it even harder. So if you say you can't hang out with your ship friend, he's gonna be like, Okay, I'm gonna run away.
Speaker 2: We're not going to hang out with my ship friend all the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very interesting, Monny, Thanks for that and good luck. I would be curious to know. I bet I don't know. I'm on the side of the YMCA because they're serious about this and there are consequences. I think it'll be good. Next one. Don't same a name first rhyme writer. I want first time writer. I want to start out by saying I've been listening since twenty twenty one. I love the show. The addition of Vaunt and Bailey perfectly fits into the show. On to my topic backstory, my parents got divorced when I was younger, and my mom never got rid of her ring. I now have an amazing girlfriend who I plan on proposing to in the future. So mom got divorced and she still has the ring. A few months ago, my mom offered me that ring from her relationship with my dad to use to propose to my new girlfriend. I'm not sure if I want to use it or not. I feel like it'd be a little weird to use that ring from my parents' relationship, But on the other hand, it'd be nice to save a bunch of money on a new ring. I'll be able to customize the ring, so it's not the exact same ring, but still it'd be the same ring. She'll probably pawn the ring if I don't take it, but I'm not sure if my girlfriend would find this weird or not. I'm curious what your thoughts are on this one. Me, No, don't use the ring. You already answered your own question by saying you feel funny about it. There's your answer, Jenny.
Speaker 4: No, do not use that ring? Bad juju uh uh?
Speaker 1: I would I would toucher.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would never accept my mom's ring if she offered that to me because her and my dad had a bad relationship.
Speaker 3: So no, Bailey, and I'm just gonna agree with you. Both you said everything that needed to be said about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that just because you feel bad about it, there's your answer right there. Yeah, you'll save some money, but in ten years that money won't matter. I know what I mean.
Speaker 2: It is the stone for it. Maybe you could just recess.
Speaker 4: I say no to all events.
Speaker 3: See, I think even a resetting is it is a brand new ring and then it's yours, and then you have something that belonged to your mother that you wear around with you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but mom probably has other kind of jewels that he could give to his future fiance that would be like more sentimental.
Speaker 1: Here's one that I have not pre read, but let's see what we have. It's a little bit longer. And we always hesitate on the longer ones because sometimes we get into it and we realize that it's just too long and it's not the best, most interesting. But I'm going to give it a chance. Just binge listening to the Minnesota Goodbye on iHeartRadio while working from home. Definitely being super productive. Longtime listener all the way back to Dave Lee and Pat days. I love that I can always count on the day Ryan showed to brighten my morning. So I so appreciate that. Well, whether or not this is on air worthy, I wanted to reach out to the woman who wrote in about her mom having recently diagnosed with ALS. This is on October fifteenth. My mom passed in twenty fifteen from lou Garrig's disease for more than five years. Thankfully, my family was able to provide care for her in our home until she passed. Please tell her to look into the ALS Association of Minnesota. If you remember the ice Bucking challenge, it's the same thing. They have so many resources for people diagnosed with ALS. And with that said, if you want to, you're welcome to give her my email if she ever wants to connect. I love the community sometimes on the Minnesota Goodbye because somebody will hear something about this and they'll be like, oh, I went through the same thing. If she ever wants to reach out to me, let her know so if she reaches back, and I will give her your email. Thanks for all that you guys do. You're amazing. I appreciate the chance to share a little bit of me with you. Love love love, Viviana. Thank you Vivianna or Viviana. I love that and I think that is okay. There's one more, one more, one more, Hello Dave, Jenny Bailey Vaught, even though he's not there. A writer from Tuesday's heavy Load Minnesota Goodbye mentioned the Office Cast watchback podcast and they said they wish Breaking Bad or Parks and Rec had one. I don't know about Breaking Bad, but Parks and Rec has one called Parks and Recollection.
Speaker 2: Oh that's cute.
Speaker 1: It's very clever. I haven't listened to it personally, but I know of it being promoted through Conan Conan's Team Coco podcasts. No need for a staff writer sticker. I got one already for a brief funny story. In a past email, I had one of my employers listed in my email signature, no addresses for them, but apparently the address looked and mailed was looked up and mailed to me through my work. I also don't work there. Okay, you lost me. I'm sorry. I'm probably read it wrong, but thank you very much. From Peter, he says, thanks ah Rt dart Lick. Do we need to keep explaining dart Lick.
Speaker 4: No, I don't think so. I think give you listen to the Minnesota Goodbye. You probably know by now because we've explained it so many times. I know we get new listeners, so maybe ever once in a while we got a we got a mom butt in there once a quarter.
Speaker 1: All right, well, all right, if you don't know what dart lick means, it is our usual. It's kind of like the behind the scenes secret code word of the Minnesota goodbye. And I'm not going to tell you now, but send me an email if you don't know what it means. We'll see how many emails we get. And then the all right comes from the chef at Old Country Buffet in the classic like nineteen eighty nine training video. He's cutting off a slice of beef and he's like, do you want that thick or thin? I'll have it thick.
Speaker 3: Oh right, what do you like hot fudge Sundays? They're my favorite?
Speaker 2: Ah right, have you.
Speaker 1: Tried the lasagna? It's really good. Anyway, we had this guy in the studio. Right behind you on the wall is a picture of this guy came into the studio.
Speaker 2: I was here that day. It was awesome. I was subbing that day.
Speaker 1: He was so cool.
Speaker 2: My favorite days.
Speaker 1: That's it. Have a great day. Send your emails. To Ryan Show at KDWB dot com