Speaker 1: Hello, Welcome everyone to what I would say is the world's finest anime podcast. I have not listened to many other anime podcasts, but.
Speaker 2: I mean, why would you? How could they compete with this?
Speaker 1: Right for starters, we got the boy, the man, the experience.
Speaker 2: It's Tomorrowhussein. Hello. Is that like the process?
Speaker 1: No, it's not, because the process is also here at Lucy James.
Speaker 2: What does that mean?
Speaker 3: Is that good process?
Speaker 2: Use it? Ben?
Speaker 1: It is Lucy and most of all the fantasy, the unrequited.
Speaker 2: It's Jeff Butler. Hey, what's up? How could Tam be a boy and a man?
Speaker 1: It's like in It's like in Game of Thrones, where everyone is not not even a man grown, and they could be talking about the little fellow at no legs, or the or the Prince lad who's killing ship out in the snow.
Speaker 3: Is not a girl, not yet a woman.
Speaker 2: See, you're just between of a Yeah.
Speaker 1: The way I see a Tam kind of embodies the good qualities of both is kind of kind of what I was going for there.
Speaker 2: There are no good qualities of boys.
Speaker 3: Speaking.
Speaker 2: Man are just men are just.
Speaker 4: Not speaking like a serial killer that kills boys.
Speaker 2: No, I just well, they need to be eliminated. That brings me, that bring the parlays into berserk quite.
Speaker 4: Nicely, because I went to Google dot com and typed in the search for anime podcast and the top result is reddit our slash podcast. Can you recommend any high quality anime podcasts? Within that thread? I didn't find a single mention of the Jeff Just Bizarre Adventure podcast.
Speaker 2: So we're failing, I am.
Speaker 4: What I'm saying is I need people who are listening to this to go to Reddit or slash podcast, find that thread and put our podcast in there, because right, no, don't do that.
Speaker 3: That's how you get banned from Reddit.
Speaker 2: That is how you get banned from Reddit. I mean going to get from Reddit.
Speaker 4: Whoever posts is going to get banned from Reddit.
Speaker 1: What you know what, as I say all this, I'm remembering that I've actually guested on several other animes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was going to say, there are The point of this is that they mentioned the trash Taste podcast, which is actually.
Speaker 2: A very good anime. I love those guys. Okay, yeah, so there is.
Speaker 1: The number one spot with with those fellows. They are they are they are still stellar gentlemen. All of the guys I have a quick non anime related question here of wrestling with Yeah, maybe this is what we're wrestling. No, although no, don't tam, don't get excited, don't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but.
Speaker 1: How rude are you allowed? Scam callers?
Speaker 2: So you have to say it again? Tim spoke over you.
Speaker 1: How rude are you allowed to be to scam callers?
Speaker 2: Allowed be?
Speaker 1: Did you just say how rude are you allowed to be?
Speaker 2: Definitely forget the first time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think you're gonna be as rude as you want because I used to be polite, but then I realized scam callers know their scam.
Speaker 2: Callers, right.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and okay, So today I got a call from a lady at around eleven am and she told me that I had a bitcoin wallet that I opened in two thousand and eight.
Speaker 2: Congruts, that's for you.
Speaker 1: I was just I was, I was. I had a lot of work to do today. I wanted to get a little breaky break in before we did this podcast, and so I was really trying to get through it, and I was just like, listen, I'm sorry, like this is your this is a scam, Like I know it's a scam. And then she was like, well, then how would I know your name Jojo, which is like my Facebook profile name. I was like, I don't like, that's not even my name, dude, Think I just got that. She actually goes you think I just got that name from someone out in the street. Like she starts getting real aggressive. Well she has a hit and then she hangs up.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, okay, fucking fine, whatever.
Speaker 1: And then then at around four pm, my phone rings again and it's the same thing. It's another bitcoin person at this time it's a guy, and he starts telling me again about and so I let him go on for a little bit longer this time because I'm edited and I got time. You know, I can sure I can play with this for a little bit. And the tactics he's using I don't appreciate, because he's like, Okay, I can see that you have about one hundred and eighty thousand dollars worth of bitcoin in this bit wallet. Do you want me to close the wallet or would you like to try and retrieve it? And I just go I'd like to try and retrieve it, and he's like, I'm sorry, what's that, sir? Would you like me to close it? Like he's trying to get me like panicked. You know, he's not even a good scammer.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: I actually I understand what he was doing because when he said that, even though I know it's not real, there was a little part of me that went like, oh no, oh, I don't want my fake bitcoin wallet to be closed, you know, like, I think that was actually kind of a good tactic. But I let the conversation run on a little bit and then I started kind of just getting impatient because he kept talking over me. And thenally I ended the conversation with a very a rude sentiment. I would say, nuns, can you can you? Can you perform it?
Speaker 2: Can you please? Pretty bad? I feel please? Did you say please please? No? Did you tell them to go fuck themselves? No? Not quite.
Speaker 1: You know what, I was going to give John Luke the power of edit over this, and I think this this this person was trying to scam me. Yeah, So he said, would I have three minutes to sort this out? And I told him that I will be free in exactly three minutes, because that's the amount of time I predict that I will be finished.
Speaker 4: His dad, Oh my god, Oh John, that's very so John, is it weird that this on yourself?
Speaker 2: But yeah, is it weird that? I?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Why am I dissing myself like a.
Speaker 3: Three like a three minute?
Speaker 2: I don't know. You want to give to know how long I've been going for.
Speaker 1: I just know I'll be over in three minutes. I didn't imply that I started the second he asked that question.
Speaker 4: Is it weird? I knew you were going to say that because of me, And I knew you were going to say something.
Speaker 2: What do you mean? You knew he was.
Speaker 1: Going to face this guy's dad because I thought what would be the worst.
Speaker 4: Thing someone could say in that moment that will piss someone off? And I went to school with a kid that would constantly say I'm going to bang your dad as a as a inside, which was really funny because we went to an.
Speaker 2: Old boys school. Yeah that's funny. So he was very progressive. There is something funny about just saying, like telling a complete stranger you're going to go, and.
Speaker 3: There's a like a there's a purity to the insult. I suppose if you are you know, it's it's plain and simple, but gets it cuts to you, right.
Speaker 1: I think it kind of kind of roots out a little bit of like like homophobia people as well, because why is that worse than.
Speaker 4: Speaking of banging your dad's berserk?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, let me let me just finish real quick. Yeah, put a bow on this. So he just gets and I feel bad because he just goes oh.
Speaker 2: Dad, and then he just goes off.
Speaker 1: He says, mom like, he just says it, nailed it, and and then I just go Then we'll be a family.
Speaker 2: That's good. That's good. That's how families work.
Speaker 1: But I think I think just the oh, like I had hit something, like I I got something in them.
Speaker 2: You did good today, John, I don't know. You see, I don't want to. I don't want to.
Speaker 4: Do you watch those scam my payback videos because those are very good.
Speaker 1: They are, But can I tell you what drives me fucking mad?
Speaker 2: It takes so long, It takes.
Speaker 1: So long, and the people who are doing the payback are not creative enough for my likings.
Speaker 2: Sometimes.
Speaker 1: I remember there was this one where they hacked into the like webcam of the person trying to scam them, and they they they they never said anything. I like, they never let them know they could see them.
Speaker 2: And I would have.
Speaker 1: Been like, that's a lovely blue sweater you have there and they didn't, and it just Yeah. Anyway, speaking of things not ending Berzerk, I feel.
Speaker 3: Like we've been on a journey already and we believe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, all right, let's get to recapping.
Speaker 1: H So, I guess my like overall thoughts coming out of these two episodes was I felt like this was a much better introduction to what Berserk is. Oh yeah, I think I forgot how kind of I think those first two episodes are good, but they're very messy, and I feel like you're only really getting your footing in the first episode before the setting in period completely changes in a way that's like very difficult to follow if you're not if you're not like with it, what'd you guys think?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I thought this was a much more grounded approach, absence of snake barrens and other ridiculous things that perhaps cloudied the water and trying to understand just what was at play here. I will say, I don't understand the dynamic of this like endless one hundred year war with like Midland Castle people, uh, and just like what appears to be like a campsite a couple of hundred feet away and they're just doing that for a hundred years. Is that what's happening?
Speaker 3: I think what we're saying with you are you with like you know how medieval war used to happen because it used to just take fucking ages and they used to just you know, camp.
Speaker 2: Out, yeah, and just lay siege for a bit, come back.
Speaker 1: Like I also think, Jeff, we're seeing like a fraction of the war. Yeah, we're seeing some nothing battle for some shithole town or castle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't seem worth it. I'll go ahead and say it's.
Speaker 4: Time from software Reference of the week. Okay, the setting of Bersark currently is called Midland. Does anyone know the setting of Eldon Ring?
Speaker 2: It's Midland West, It's West Midland. It's the lands between, Jeff.
Speaker 3: Do you know there are places in the UK called the Midlands.
Speaker 2: I'm sure there's all everything is called everything there. It's a little island, but yet it has all the names of every fantasy world crammed inside there. Yeah.
Speaker 4: So Midland, the lands between, the lands between, being the middle.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited to share that fact. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh my god, I just want to share my culture with Jeff.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, like, I don't know, I find the naming convention of English territories to be humorous.
Speaker 3: And do you live in fucking New Jersey?
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, I don't put that much stock into that.
Speaker 4: Jeff prefers his naming conventions to be appropriated by conquering other people and just calling them ways.
Speaker 2: You know, I haven't conquered anything.
Speaker 1: I mean, so, I guess the first time I have read there with Jeff, the first time I ever sat down with Jeff, like first words out of his mouth where I don't want to hear about the potato fomin and I hadn't I led with that broad it, of which I thought was kind of strange, but like, you know.
Speaker 2: I just it was a bit. Yeah. I hadn't even taken my coat off. Yeah, no it.
Speaker 4: So, what we're saying is Jeff doesn't like the name Midland for this thing.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I don't mind that. That's not what I was criticizing. I just didn't understand the dynamics of this war. Hmm. You know, like it's just like nights watching from above and they're like, shit's going not so great right now? What do you think? Yeah? Not so great? But like so yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 3: How much you know about like I said earlier, like medieval warfare.
Speaker 2: This is what I'm watching a documentary. What do you know what's happened? Do you think this ship is based on? What do you think was based.
Speaker 3: On place and time period.
Speaker 2: And how warfare was carried out. I'm talking about the dynamics of the war, like who the stake holders are? I don't understand, Tutor.
Speaker 3: Does that res like the Tudor period?
Speaker 2: In Tutor Tutor? Tutor? Tutor got to say it an American.
Speaker 4: Guys, Tudor three times and you're like, and then we went with Tutor and you went on tut.
Speaker 2: You just spelled it. I would have been to get your book.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, I think I think that what you're saying is is partly accurate in that they haven't really fully spent a lot of time being like the once.
Speaker 2: Existed a group of people called the.
Speaker 4: Tutors, and exactly they're not in the Midlands. But that's not really that important to this large.
Speaker 2: I would agree.
Speaker 1: I would say, again, don't What I don't need in this world is a history lesson. I want to know about these characters.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what you need to know is there's a war between two groups, and as part of that war, there are roving bands of mercenaries. The Band of Hawk is one of them, and Warfit, like it was back then, is very glacial. People just basically set up outside of each other's houses and like, I'm gonna suck you up when I can figure out how to get over this war and.
Speaker 1: Again, and Jeff, what we're not seeing is like any kind of climactic or decisive battle. These are the low low, low tier higher a bunch of teenage bandits to basically fight this one for this one shithole little castle somewhere off in the corner of the map.
Speaker 2: That's gonna work. Right now, it seems like a good life, you know, No, I mean until until you get attacked. I was kidding. It seems horrific.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So we open up where we left off last time, and it's our friend Griffith. That's a little weak MD there that I will continue. Our friend Griffith is has basically been challenged to a duel by Guts, and he has declared that if he, if Griffith wins, Guts is his. And what I enjoy about all these early scenes with Guts and Griffith is the complete lack of homo eroticism.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, zero, one hundred. They don't even have a gay water fight in this episode. Zero. There's nothing to be even mentioned or suggest not.
Speaker 4: There's at no point does one man look at the other and say you belong to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, totally a gay water fight. Weer like, I don't know, maybe one of them is completely naked. Yeah, well that would be That would be ridiculous. Jeff, Now this.
Speaker 4: This is a manly show about big sorts. Okay, Yeah, that don't look.
Speaker 1: Like anyone who reads anything more into it it Well, you know, how.
Speaker 2: Is this andre than JoJo's. I don't understand. That's a good points. That's a really excellent question.
Speaker 4: Well, this is this anime?
Speaker 2: Is gay?
Speaker 4: Jojo is camp? I think you get two different styles off.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is quite insightful.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm sort of blown away at that. I'm like, you know, everyone's making fun of me, but I'm.
Speaker 1: Just genuinely not I I genuinely think that's a really interesting way to look at these shows.
Speaker 2: Everyone is warning me on online, They're like, oh, Jeff, buckle up, Buttercup, that kind of stuff, And it's like it's just a gay water fight. It was the shower with the water fight. They're talking, you're safe, now, you're good, I will say, Guts, And I don't know, we're probably far away from the gay water fight in recapping, but like certainly Guts through like kind of surprised me where he was like, you know what, I am down for this water fight.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know he wants him to get all up in his guts. You know, we.
Speaker 1: Will get to whatever may or may not be happening in that water fight. But as it stands, Griffith and Guts have this duel, and I just really like everything about how this duel is kind of like choreographed and written. I love, like the one thing I really like about b Zerk is that everyone who fights in it, like there's no stands, like no one has like very few people have like superpowers or like that, but I feel like everyone has a really like bespoke and personal way of fighting. And you have Guts with this big, massive heavy sword, and then you have Griffith with like his little kind of fencing blade, and I think they I think it's evident that like they really think about like what a fight between those two weapons would look like, and it's it's really fun.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's very When Griffith is fighting him, you see him do a lot of like redirecting the momentum of Guts swings, which is exactly how you would approach that. And it makes the fact that he's able to block a giant slab of metal a little more believable because he's not just like taking it, he's like redirecting it, which is a nice touch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they both tumble off a hill and it devolves into a fistfight, and for a moment it looks like Griffith's kind of Griffith's going down.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I also like the.
Speaker 4: Shortly before they tumble down, Gots does that thing where he flicks some dirt up into his face using his giant sword. It's just like because Griffith jumps on his sword as he swings it, which is a cool moment that shows one Griffith is like very very lithe and very very precise in the way that he approaches not only his combat. Yeah, he's a deck build and it kind of like reflects overall demeanor in everything. He has this very composed nature, whereas Guts is a little more like wild and will do anything to get the job done, and him swinging his sword and then basically using a dirty tactic and.
Speaker 2: Also biting Griffith's sword is unhinged.
Speaker 1: There's there's a lot there's like a lot of characterization in the way they fight. I really really like that. Like I love when a fight doesn't just feel like a pause and a story. I love when you can like infer things about the character, like and the way they fight.
Speaker 2: They also do it really guts.
Speaker 3: His ears look more pointy because he's kind of got that animalistic nature, like the uncontrolled version of and like the way that he has that bit of leather tied to his back. It looks like a tail.
Speaker 2: He is the animal.
Speaker 1: I think that's kind of interesting because it kind of looks like it goes into like a devil point and if it's this mildly angelic looking creature. And I was actually watching that day and thinking about that.
Speaker 4: There's also some stuff of Casca and Caucus and that kind of stuff that they use this moment to really establish a hierarchy. If it wasn't clear enough by this point, but Caucus comes and is like you know that he sees them fighting and He's like, Okay, now's our chance to jump him. But Casca steps in and he's like, Nope, you cannot do this. Who appointed you the leader? And she kind of defers to what Griffiths says, which is the start of this kind of idea that Griffith's charisma is a core part of the Band of Hawk.
Speaker 2: It's a ris based army. Yeah, it is.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, tim You have your from software reference of the week. I would like to introduce my new my new sections called fu Carcus. Yep, yes, that's that's it. Like, there's no there's nothing to be inferred or gained.
Speaker 2: It's just it fucked that guy. God damn it. He sucks a piece of shit, definitely.
Speaker 3: I just like, where does he get off?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I done? Like why he he has this grudge? I guess maybe because guts is just sort of like shot up through the ranks real fast. I don't know. But he also want to shut the fuck up.
Speaker 4: He also killed one of his homeboys, but again that was Caucus's fault also because he instigated that fight, didn't.
Speaker 2: He totally Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they tumble off the cliff and they start fist fighting, and Griffith even gets the better A guts here, he locks them in an iron bar and dislocates his shoulder and then, basically in just the most plutonic way possible, gently coops guts his face and says, you belong to me.
Speaker 4: Now I do that to my every day.
Speaker 2: To me is do that all the time. That's how I say hi to my friends.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's normal on ye yes game start yep, Kaska, what what is watching all this? And she's like, this is like the most interested in a person I have ever seen, Griffith.
Speaker 4: This is the gayest I've seen Griffith.
Speaker 1: This is so gay, Like what it's crazy that she says that, Yeah.
Speaker 2: What's the Oh do you ever?
Speaker 3: Do you guys remember the infamous Hillary Duff don't say gay advert from like fifteen years ago? Is by conic No, it's because when gay used to be used, unfortunately still is used as like an insult, Like there was a really infamous uh advert with Hillary Duff and she's just, oh.
Speaker 4: The think before you speak one? Yes, yeah, I remember I remember that being a yeah yeah, because they showed it during Sean Hannah's show, which is like, uh show during Sean Hannah is like a right wing amer Can Yeah, back in the day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I just want to say shout out to Ally Hillary Duff. I've never derailed anything harder.
Speaker 2: She's she's she's she's alive. Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they were.
Speaker 3: Gonna make they We're gonna make a Lizzie Maguire sequel on Hulu, and it was going to be an adult and it was going to be Lizzie's all grown up and now she's shagging I don't know. And then they said it was two adults that they candidate.
Speaker 1: I used to get her and Britney Murphy mixed up and I'm I'm watching King of the Hill at the moment, and god damn, Britney Murphy was all kinds of special, fucking brilliant.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 1: So that night, Guts is rolling around dreaming about Griffith and thinking about him.
Speaker 2: I'm not making that up. That is happens.
Speaker 1: And he hears Corcus and the boys outside being.
Speaker 2: Like, why why don't we murder this guy, only.
Speaker 1: For Kaska to stop them and don't be repeatedly proving herself as one of the best characters in this show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's also just like camping out.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, Guts is like tent, and it's just like I got to protect my man.
Speaker 3: I think he's just trying to figure out what's going on.
Speaker 1: I think it's kind of like I gotta protect my man's man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because she.
Speaker 4: Says that she's there on his orders, right, yeah, afterwards, and they're also in front.
Speaker 2: Of those orders. Yeah, they are.
Speaker 4: Also in front of like the castle, and there's like a brief moment where two lads on the castle are like talking about the band of Hawk, and then one of them is like, yeah, what if they gain the you know, gain power and earn the king's trust, will that be a problem? And then the other older guys like maybe, And that kind of like hints at where where like things are going into a degree.
Speaker 1: Can't see this situation proceeding in a way that will affect us poorly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: So Guts kind of and Goots comes outside the tent and he says to Casco like, guess I owe you thanks, and she's like fuck off, which.
Speaker 2: She's like, go die in a battle. Basically.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's kind of interesting when you see Guts outside the tent here because you realize, like, oh, yeah, this dude's like maybe like fourteen Max. Yeah, like he looks like a kid in this scene.
Speaker 2: I mean, all of these warriors are like kids. I feel like, especially later on when they're like celebrating their victory, they're just sort of like no alcohol for me, you know, I don't know, it's just very very young man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, they're they're they're young. They are like a little kind of Robin Hood style outfit and well no, Robin Hood's outfit. Were the merry Men, weren't they? So quite definition, they are not children, right. Goods is sad, as you know, I'm not going to say that we're going to see Goods sad lot, but.
Speaker 2: Oh boy are we.
Speaker 1: And but at the final shot of this scene is one of my favorite shots and panels like from Berserk, and it's it's Goods kind of crouched down next to some boxes in his in his tent and he's kind of just falling falling asleep holding his sword, and it's just I just think it's a really lovely shot. Like I think Berserk is such a such a beautiful, like visual storytelling kind of show, and I think this really says a lot about Goods and some really sad and beautiful ways.
Speaker 4: He's holding his sword from the pointy end. Yeah, like from the very He's like, I'm gonna hold I'm gonna follow this fall asleep holding the most dangerous part of the sword.
Speaker 2: He he has turned his sword into a teddy bear in a weird way to.
Speaker 3: Stop him falling asleep.
Speaker 1: Though it's funny you should say that, Jeff, because there's there's so again, like there's a lot cut out of the anime. There's some panels in the mango where it is him as like a five year old, like basically like holding holding a sword like its apparent, like.
Speaker 2: Holding nuzzling up to it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Like so that is very normal for him because it's like, well.
Speaker 3: It's something that he knows will hurt him, but he will know when it hurts him. I guess like he has cut more control over the situation if you want to.
Speaker 1: Get Yeah, swords are safer than people, too goods I think, yeah, yeah. But there's a lot of interesting stuff with like his sword and why he does keep it close and stuff. Two weeks later, we have what seems like a raid on an enemy castle and it's basically Griffith has constructed this meticulous plan and how They're going to like march through the water and the wind is going to shroud the sound of their approach. Just laid everything out really really well, and Goots is going to be the rear guard and everyone's like, fucking see you later, Goots, like you're.
Speaker 2: Done, good luck. God.
Speaker 1: His riff is more like this, dude, Griffith is so good at planning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this guy has a notion boards be color coded.
Speaker 1: For yeah you can. Griffith is on trello. He is he is pause passing stuff back and forth.
Speaker 2: Yep, yeah, he's on it.
Speaker 1: And Carcus again is like, can we have the jingle for this is good at fucking die? And it's like, dude, what is what is wrong with you?
Speaker 4: John?
Speaker 2: You excite the jingle?
Speaker 1: Do I need to do the jingle? Or do I need to get a clean sand by your foot?
Speaker 2: Carcus?
Speaker 1: Both okay, fuck Cork fuck Carcus. Jingle should be kind of like a.
Speaker 2: No no no no no no no, like something like that.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 3: I mean, wait, someone did send us a jingle on Blue Sky.
Speaker 2: Which it was so good.
Speaker 1: Yeah that was sick, yep, But I think what's kind of fun here is like you can feel Guts's admiration of Griffiths start to grow here, like he's already kind of.
Speaker 2: Like, you know what, this is kind of fucking cool. Yeah, you can tell. You can tell there's a respect that has blossomed.
Speaker 1: Another thing I really love about this scene and it's more like the art direction, but every character's palette has gone from being like their usual like neutral daytime colors, to being these really cold kind of blues and purples. And this is something that I really miss it when animation doesn't do it. I love when you see a character's color change depending on the lighting they're in. I just think it makes so much atmosphere. And this show is so good at it, Like, I love how this thing looks like the animation isn't well, they.
Speaker 3: Say, my TikTok is started showing me a lot of coloring book things, and there are some ways that people do coloring in like even just like the same pen, but to make it look like characters are basked in the glow from a window or the TV.
Speaker 4: And it's really cool, and it was have you have you got that one where someone cuts a fruit in half and then puts it on a paper and then draws the half that is missing to make it look exactly like the crazy.
Speaker 3: Doesn't does someone else. I follow it where they have like a tiny postcard, and then they put it on a stand or a small easel, and then they match it directly with the backdrop they painted in real life.
Speaker 2: It's good, that's dope.
Speaker 1: So the attack proceeds and starts going very real will and it's basically this.
Speaker 2: They're basically burning.
Speaker 1: Down in enemy encampments and they are working for the this lord and basically protecting his castle from these raiders who I think are part of the Oh I can't remember which side Griffith and Guts is on as Midlands. Yeah, so they cause all kinds of chaos and get out of there immediately, and it's Guts' job to protect them from the pursuers the regard who are going.
Speaker 2: To come after them.
Speaker 1: And let me tell you, I go our boy Guts not bad at the old killing, no solid, but we also loves killing.
Speaker 2: He loves killing in the just the right spot where there's no armor. It makes some such an effective killer, Jeff.
Speaker 4: We also say, like a bunch of the other members with the band of Hawk holding their own. I guess they're established, like they're not.
Speaker 2: They do seem to lose any people in this battle. As far as I can.
Speaker 1: The Band of Hawk are a group like for for all the for his as foot as they seem a bunch of fucking killers, just absolute murderers.
Speaker 2: Because if you think.
Speaker 3: A person like Griffith, he doesn't want to surround himself with chumps, like he identifies everyone's strengths and everyone works really hard to impress him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and God is all like, man, this is efficient. I'm big into this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Goods is I think it's kind of Goods his first time maybe meeting people who are on his level a little bit, and like even Judo with his little throw and dagger. It's again, it's like that kind of everyone feels. The way everyone like works feels very like unique and I like it a lot.
Speaker 2: But then so we just could we just could we just peel off for just a moment and talk about how Jeff, what would you like to talk about? But he that needless murder of someone just washing their clothes in the lake. I mean, he's you could have raised the alarm. He was a lookout washing underwear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I think I think he was a lookout who shouldn't have been washing his underwear.
Speaker 4: I think he was someone washing his underwear that could at any moment become a lookout.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's what was he going to do? Throw his undies at the band of part He probably maybe made like a slight noise and got them all killed.
Speaker 2: Oh, I mean the noise that would have been drowned out by the Gael Force wins.
Speaker 4: What I've learned today is Jeff Bucklot would be the shittest person to have in any sort of combative environment. You're also not a fighter, understanding, don't not get it?
Speaker 2: Famous pacifist, famous famously a pacifist, not a fighter. Famously, Hey, there wasn't that one time you stepped on.
Speaker 1: My podcast for like three years? And I do not This is the first time hearing to.
Speaker 2: This, folks. I'm getting I'm getting it from all sides. Right here? Should we take turns to go around the room? Him here? Tam, what was your accusation about me stepping on my dog on time?
Speaker 4: You actually hit your dog? Did That's not very pacifist behavior.
Speaker 2: That's not intentional. That's called an accident. That's called being a close fine, Uh Lucy, your your attempt.
Speaker 3: No, it wasn't my attempt. It was just I didn't realize you were so big into peace, you were so you hate you know, you didn't know much about medieval.
Speaker 2: When inconvenience is me? John?
Speaker 1: I just feel like that if someone took a swing at me in a bar and you were with me, I'd be like, it's good Jeff's here, because.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well that's different. That's different. Come on, because.
Speaker 4: He's going to run away and try and find someone to help.
Speaker 2: No, I'm gonna go. I'm gonna go find Tam and put Tam in front of me and just be like, wasn't me, it was him.
Speaker 1: I just think you play a lot of hockey. That's a very physical game.
Speaker 2: Actually, anyone in hockey.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I've never gotten into a fistfight, but I've absolutely been in you know, the scrumming. Scrumming. Oh definitely say meanwords. That's my forte. But it been a couple of scuffles. You know, you can't really punch people because you're wearing a cage, and that's not exactly what do you think about hockey?
Speaker 3: Was punched people?
Speaker 2: Okay? What a British thing to say about hockey. Oh my god, Yes there's is there fighting in hockey professional hockey. Yes, there is fighting. It's it's never been uh less frequent. It's diminishing year year. It's less and less.
Speaker 3: My interest in hockey also diminishing year.
Speaker 2: That's fine, We're that's okay. I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: You get their aggressional, you know, get it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, I'm there to defend you John at the bar, like without a debt.
Speaker 1: Like I kind of hear you Jeff in that, Like I would be really bummed to ever get in like any kind.
Speaker 2: Of street fight yard. So that's what I'm talking about. I do at all.
Speaker 1: But I recreational consensual fighting.
Speaker 2: Is a great time.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say, you do a lot.
Speaker 1: I do, but that's with the people I like, in an environment that is safe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're sparring. Yeah, I feel like sparring is like the more friendly word next to fighting. We're sparring, I think. So.
Speaker 1: I think I probably could focus someone up pretty badly at this point.
Speaker 2: I would never want to. No, exactly, you're a weapon and you don't want to have to use yourself as.
Speaker 1: That very true, Just like the band of Hawk members, and so Guts kind of gets like not left behind on this raid, but he's the rear guard and he gets kind of bogged down fighting these dudes, and immediately Griffith's like, we gotta help Guts. At this is a little unusual. You can see Cask kind of reacting to this, being like what really, And the specific reasons for that will come in later episodes, but I think it's not just just to note that that is her reaction right now.
Speaker 2: She's like what?
Speaker 1: And so Griffith goes back helps Guts. They ride on the same horse, and just as it seems like it's all going to hell, they emerge from the clearing where the enemy pursuers are blown to fucking Kingdom come and we get some nice rendered pictures showing showing this all going down, and yeah, those fuckers got.
Speaker 2: Destroyed, absolutely battered. M hmm good.
Speaker 1: And then we get one of my kind of low key favorite scenes in Berserk.
Speaker 2: I have a lot of lowkey favorite scenes in Berserk.
Speaker 1: Well, it's it's the favorite scenes.
Speaker 2: We'll get to them.
Speaker 3: You thought favorite scenes because you got Loki favorite.
Speaker 1: You know, Lucy, it's not oft enough to admonish you on this podcast. You know what, I like women in this Let this wash over me in the best possible way. This was a dynamic this podcast has not yet explored, and I am here for it.
Speaker 2: Carry on, carry on. I'm front row eating the popcorn. I just think you're capable of more, Lucy. That's all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, agreed, But also I'm disappointed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but also John, I feel like we can't let Jeff get away with this. You see how much he.
Speaker 1: Absolutely not because you know, whatever, whatever, whatever, whether Lucy succeeded or failed with that joke, Jeff, one thing she would never do is turn on a fellow co host.
Speaker 2: Never agreed, she that's great, love, Lucy.
Speaker 3: Someone should make a show they did eighty fucking years ago.
Speaker 1: So we on the ramparts of this little castle we've been protecting. We find our boy guts once again and again. He's holding his sword by the blade. He's kind of cradlin and close, and he's just being a cool owner. He's just being what every teenage boy thinks they look like when they sit down by themselves.
Speaker 2: Question Will we question? Will we find out why this show is called berserk? No? Just say yes or no? No? I mean kinder again.
Speaker 1: It's about It's about as much as like, wow, this guy sure is going wow, this young man sure is feeling Okay, well, I.
Speaker 4: Think I think the isn't isn't it named? It's named after the Norse word for viking, which is something like that.
Speaker 1: Miura has an interview about this where he's just like, I just wanted to make someone who was really mad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, well I'll take that one. That one's more fun.
Speaker 1: And so then he's approached by Pippin. And Pippin is such a crazy name for the big dude, isn't it?
Speaker 2: He's not great?
Speaker 4: Is it just not a reference to like stuff like Hobbits Tolkien to.
Speaker 3: Make the big the biggest Pippin.
Speaker 1: So he's approached by Judo, Pippen and the little lad.
Speaker 2: What's the little lad's name again? Ricker?
Speaker 1: He wanted to say there, but he's the guy from I want to say, right, Card, Lord of Blessed Riker, Yeah, yeah, from software.
Speaker 4: You're from Software Reference of the Week.
Speaker 2: Spin we're putting on weak. That's from another that's one of the besties best.
Speaker 3: When you did it that time, I was like, that sounds like Ross Rush Dick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's Ross from Besties.
Speaker 3: Great Video Game Podcast.
Speaker 1: An They're like, Goods, you're awesome and you should come drink with us, because that's what awesome dudes do.
Speaker 2: I like what we do.
Speaker 1: And he's like no, He's like real, uh, real, he's really batman in it up over here. Yes, And Kipping turns him upside down and carries him on his shoulder down to down to the drinking hole and guts even elbows Pippin in the face and draws blood and Pippin's just like it doesn't matter.
Speaker 4: There's a really brilliant like close up on Pippins's face as the as the blood is coming out of his nose, and then there's a little pause afterwards where you know that Pippin's thinking I'm gonna throw his motherfucker off this.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: There there was a moment where Good's going over that fucking rampart.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then he's like, don't be shut He also screams the exact same kind of tone and intonation as he did previously, don't touch me, but in this in this case, Pippin just carries on and it's one of those moments where it's like, oh, these people are pushing through his barriers to kind of like warm up to him.
Speaker 1: And even like the scene, like there's all these really great shots where like everyone's like congratulations, Guts, you're awesome, and just him standing open mouthed, looking left and right being like what, Like he's he's not used to this at all. He's not used to being accepted. He's not used to people like celebrating him. He's like, it's one of those moments where he really just reverts back to being a big kid and it's like, oh man, this dude.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then it cuts to fucking Caucus hiding behind him.
Speaker 2: Caucus. He's like that. He's like, hmm that bastard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, could you do could you? Could you do that?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: You want me to do? What do you want you want me to do? More? Caucus Caucus.
Speaker 1: But he's just seen Goots at the supermarket and Guts is buying food for what looks like is going to be a really awesome meal.
Speaker 3: No, No, Guts picked the last bunch of Banna's caucus needed them for a smoothie.
Speaker 2: Go for it. They has that bastard Caucus. I was taking my final bananas for that smoothie. I was planning. What am I supposed to do with all this protein? You put it in that bin? That bastard, that bastard, wait is your name?
Speaker 4: Ha?
Speaker 2: You Cacus?
Speaker 1: Do not interrupt him?
Speaker 2: Well, I was, I was being Caucus.
Speaker 3: Well at the beginning you said there's that bastard Caucus.
Speaker 1: So oh yeah, so Jeff, that was that was exceptional, but just one small critique. At one point the problem was the carcus didn't have any bananas. But then later on he said what am I going to do with all this?
Speaker 4: And god, maybe he means that he's got protein powder and he needed the bananas.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the protein powder.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, thanks damn sorry, you're the only one that gets.
Speaker 2: Made up on that. Jeff. It's okay, And that was that was great.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe with the full Carcus segments we can do more caucus improv.
Speaker 2: I would love it. I will need to remember this. Boys.
Speaker 3: Okay, So this voice is like, uh, what's your what's your word to get into it? Is it just saying caucus?
Speaker 2: I think it's caucus, simply caucus.
Speaker 3: Yes, I got off my bathroom.
Speaker 2: My name is Caucus. I'm cauking my bath It's a lovely subway tile is.
Speaker 4: Caucus a modern day like di y person from the sounds of it, because he's in a supermardert handy man. He's a handyman. Is he like a task rabbit person? But every time he goes on a task, somehow got's ruins his day.
Speaker 2: I'm a fiver, He's on a fiver.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, guys, fan fiction exists for a reason, okay, and I think we're onto some great stuff here, So I want you guys to clear the rest of your day. We will finish up recording this episode, and therein we're going to bang out what is sure to be a modern day Internet epic.
Speaker 2: Carcus the task Rabbit. Yep, yep, fantastic, brilliant.
Speaker 4: I also like that whenever Caska is on screen, her head is like just a different shaped walnuts.
Speaker 1: I love the drawings of Castle.
Speaker 4: Every time her head is like slightly wider or slightly shorter, like it's never consistently warm, always.
Speaker 1: Looks a bit weird. But I love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it too.
Speaker 1: So and this kind of drink brings that first episode to a close. And I think, like as an introduction to what Berserk is, I think this is a much much stronger episode than the first two.
Speaker 2: I agree. Agree like it gives you more of a.
Speaker 3: I don't know, more of a story to follow. I think characters grow in love with.
Speaker 2: Three.
Speaker 4: It places the It clearly defines it as a show about interpersonal dynamics and relationships to a large part.
Speaker 2: Jeff, how do you feel about episode three? I thought it was strong. I uh, I think you know, they we have certainly planted some seeds. I think it was very humanizing and I enjoyed it. Again. I really just wish no one told me like anything about this going into it, because I'm I'm constantly waiting to see something horrific and it's like, no, leave me alone. I wish that.
Speaker 1: I wish that like devil wasn't on my shoulder. Well, I mean you've seen a lot of it, man, Yeah, like you can tell them this doesn't bother me.
Speaker 2: These people.
Speaker 1: Everything's there's nothing worse coming up than the ship we've seen.
Speaker 2: Amazing. Okay, Greg, I feel so much better. Oh my god, I'm gonna sleep so well tonight. How do you feel about the music? Oh? Yes, thank you for bringing that up, because someone asked me. I'm blue Sky, right, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm not your Blue Sky account holder.
Speaker 2: Well maybe it should be. I think somebody was like, how do I like the opening theme song? And I don't hate it? I think it's okay. Is it like?
Speaker 1: Is it not regarded highly by the Yeah, it's divisive. Yes, the theme is divisive.
Speaker 2: It's from n butt rock. Yes, it's very butt rock like. It's like butt rock with like someone heard like a metal song and they were like, how can I make this more butt rocks.
Speaker 4: It's very nostalgic for people who love anime and have been watching since the nightties, because it's like a from an era of Yeah, like openings to anime where the person is clearly trying to speak Japanese speak English, but they are Japanese is trying to make it work. So like this one, Naruto has a bunch. Hagimen Opo is one of my favorite and I love them. I think it's great.
Speaker 1: I'm a thousand chapters into hajimen Epo.
Speaker 2: Isn't it fantastic? My god?
Speaker 4: It's isn't it brilliant? That's the that's the series that made me pick up boxing and made me box for like two years purely you.
Speaker 2: Know, serious, I got I gotta say, m hm. There is something about the song that's also like a big garage rocky and kind of like it does seem like the composer the artists are trying to like emulate a kind of like like I said, like you said, Lucy, like a late nineties kind of like lazy rock American lazy rock. Totally. I hear that, right.
Speaker 4: How do you feel about the non opening theme songs, like you know, the the other songs that play when they're like in battle, And.
Speaker 2: Yes, there's there's one song.
Speaker 1: There's one song particularly called Forces and you'll know it because they go like, oh.
Speaker 2: Was that the one that they were playing during the battle? Yes, yeah, that one I kind of enjoyed. I do think there's like a weird, almost incongruent juxtaposition that the music presents, uh placed under a gore and battle, but it kind of works in a fun way too because and I also think it like lightens the mood in a way that I found kind of satisfying, where I was like, yeah, it is fine. It's just like kind of groovy but also like death. But it's also kind of fine because it's like fun to bop your head along too.
Speaker 1: There's a two other tracks that I might we might have heard them in the last two. Yeah, so it's but this one called Gouts and it's just a key team of goods and it's that real.
Speaker 2: It's that one need I need to go back. Is there like a Spotify playlist or something.
Speaker 4: I I have that song bookmark, so I can send it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right now, you send that along.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so I play it on my streams when something sad happens, I have it ready always.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It starts out like November rain a little bit.
Speaker 3: I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 4: It's someone we used as teaser for when we finished show.
Speaker 2: Joe.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's very much like oh not almost like an any thing you know, Yeah, totally right, Yeah, extremely okay, it's very and yea im good.
Speaker 2: I nailed it on the first track.
Speaker 1: And there's another song as well called bail It, which is very like it's it's it's really distinct sounding. But I generally I really like the music in the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think, like you're totally right about.
Speaker 1: The incongruousness of some of the Jeff where like it does feel a little it's not orchestra music. It doesn't sound like the kind of music you typically associate with like medieval fantasy, but in a way that I love. I war not change it.
Speaker 2: I really like it.
Speaker 4: Like it feels like it's running contrary to what you're seeing on the screen, which creates this kind of chaotic kind of distinction and clash between the tone of what you're seeing and what you're hearing, which is really I really like it because you're in a moment where you know it's supposed to be like camaraderie, but then the song they uses kind of like not low energy, but kind of like somba, and it kind of has this really interesting texture to what you're seeing and what you're hearing that is in keeping with the nature of the show and the themes of the show.
Speaker 2: I think I will say that I'm becoming increasingly aware that a lot of the themes in this show are meant to help people demonstrate their intense emotions, right, Like, there's a lot there. I've only seen four episodes of this anime so far, and like, I can see how we maybe get there, but I'm just not there yet, so it's kind of tough for me to like. And again, I think we realized this in a big way less episode where there were certain themes that we started to poke at that we are not ready for prime time. But I that's what I'm That's what this journey for me is, as well as like what discovering the emotion?
Speaker 1: What I would say Jeff is like you don't need to acknowledge or discover anything that you are not experiencing in these episodes, Like like I think.
Speaker 2: But I'm a human being, John.
Speaker 1: I know, but like I guess, I don't want you to feel pressured to try and look at this show the way we're looking at it. I think that your best chance of enjoying it are just taking in at face value for what it is in the right.
Speaker 2: Why did you do a Trump impression? Why did you do that? People can't see it?
Speaker 4: No, no, no, you can't say that's not because because you did the mouth that you do when you do a Trump depression, people can't see it. But that is the exact same like the bird mouth.
Speaker 2: It was there, It was there. You guys can all go fuck yourself. What what did I Why didn't I chastise you?
Speaker 4: Like a that was navy from Okarina of Time?
Speaker 2: It is the best I can do right your Trump impression. People are telling me this is a very emotional show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's doing it on purpose without passing his lips.
Speaker 1: I would be so bummed if Trump Red Berserkin liked it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd be let's not you know you know what Trump would be time. He'd be one of those people.
Speaker 1: Who was like, yeah, got worse after the Black Swords Monarch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, Bazuzo, great guy, never be fighting.
Speaker 1: If I was there, they would live in harmony, and that weird little Emerald will be restored to whoever owns it.
Speaker 2: Grit.
Speaker 1: But yeah, look, Jeff, that's all to say. I think there's no point you trying to view it through anyone else's lens. If you see a ship episode or an episode you don't, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Like of course I also went for Yeah.
Speaker 4: When I watched this for the I watched it before I read it. When I watched it, I most of it was lost on me, Like I was just like, oh, this is this is great?
Speaker 2: What do you mean? No, I mean like it was.
Speaker 4: I was a kid at that time, so you should have more comprehension than I did when I was watched it. But like a lot of it is you have to like really spend a lot of time thinking about it and agonizing over it. And it wasn't until I started reading it that I was like, oh, I see better now what they were going for. And then I rewatched it and I was like, oh, yeah, how did I miss this? And how I missed it was I was just a kid and like back then. Yeah, But what I'm saying is like you can enjoy it without having to see what it is you know, and in the way that read it likes you to.
Speaker 1: To me, like the most the moment where art happens is when it hits your brain and you feel it right. Like, to me, art is not retroactively looking at something and reading papers on it and being like, oh, this is what the symbolism of that scene meant. It is being there in the moment and like letting the music hit you, letting the visuals hit you, and like experiencing the story and whatever comes of that. And it's totally fine for your opinion to change on something over time.
Speaker 2: But I also think.
Speaker 1: A person's zero knowledge just flat experiencing this thing for the first time is just as interesting and as valid as anything else.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: I know we've picked up this series a lot to you, Jeff, and I just want you to experience it in whichever whatever way you end up doing.
Speaker 4: Was the person who said that was the guy who has a YouTube channel dedicated to going back and explain exploring why stuff is good in retrospect.
Speaker 2: Look, we don't know that.
Speaker 1: That's all cover the formats parasocial relationship with people and drain them of their time and resources.
Speaker 2: O fantastic. Yeah, that's how we met. I know, I'm aware you think you think I don't know how this works.
Speaker 1: But so okay, Cork not Cork is Judo and Guts have a little canoe. We open up on a little morning chat between these two, and the whole, the whole kind of thrust to this conversation is, Hey, you know that Griffith guy pretty fucking awesome.
Speaker 2: But why is he awesome? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Me So the funked apart is it turns out that Griffith isn't even a Dex build. No, he's a charisma Bild's charisma belt.
Speaker 2: Ye yep.
Speaker 1: Everyone, everyone who brisbels into this dude's orbit is just drawn to him.
Speaker 4: His conversation points are just like stacked. It's crazy.
Speaker 2: Oh now I have another show name. All right, possible show names for this episode. Okay, Griffin, Risbuild, Griffin, Risbild, Griffith. Sorry, Griffin, we have to call it Griffin, Risbild now, no, stop it, shut up.
Speaker 4: Yeah we should because then people will be like, what the fuck is this called Griffith.
Speaker 2: Griffith, Risbuild, Raider Commander or gay water fight Griffin.
Speaker 1: I'm leaning by like Risbil, Griffin, Risbeilt doing Griffin.
Speaker 2: I'm the band of Griffin now, not the band of Hawk. Griffin is easier to say.
Speaker 1: I feel like Griffin Risbild is like an amazing World of Warcraft character name.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, it's Griffil.
Speaker 3: You know how like every time I make a character in a video game, I call it Jeff, regardless of gender, called Jeff.
Speaker 2: I've done this before I.
Speaker 3: Even knew you.
Speaker 2: Okay, maybe not going to No. It was when you met me. You said you're you're the name of all my characters.
Speaker 3: You know, but I already be doing you.
Speaker 2: See, you were like, I am going to name.
Speaker 3: Character, mister ba, I'm gonna name it after you.
Speaker 2: It's kind of insulting.
Speaker 3: Actually, is Jeff Jeff's elden law dude?
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's no jeffs in Elden law? Is there?
Speaker 3: Jeff is an elden lord because of my Jeff?
Speaker 2: What did you say?
Speaker 4: Can you explain what you meant why he said there's no Jeff in Elden law?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Because does I mean you were I thought you were saying that there are jeffs in elden ring law, so you called it elden law. Yeah, okay, okay, I thought there was a Jeff in there in in the world's in between or whatever the fuck. Okay, I thought there's a Jeff Roman around. There's not.
Speaker 1: But Judo is basically like, you know what, this Griffith dude, he's not even like normal people. He's like different. Judo says that, so you can tell everyone here is like they're all subscribing to his substack, if you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Okay, I have a con. I don't really know what a substack is. It's a newsletter, that's all it is. It's a blog that gets delivered to you, that's all it is.
Speaker 4: It's a very canceled newsletter. It's actually recently canceled. The new hot one is Ghost dot Io.
Speaker 2: Oh Ghost for a minute, actually have a newsletter, do you? Yeah? Wait? Why is Substack out of Vogue? Though?
Speaker 4: We don't need to talk about that right now.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's fine, but yeah Ghost is good too. Yeah, ghosts all right, John Substacks go your thoughts?
Speaker 1: What I don't I don't know anything about I guess it's been canceled, so bad.
Speaker 2: Don't worry about. Move on, move on the right take okay, okay, cool? Anyway back to Griffith.
Speaker 1: So, Judo and Goots have this lovely little conversation and then Guts and Judo's like, I think you're going to fit in just fine here, buddy, and Guts is like, what the fuck does he mean? And he walks down stas and then he meets Bollock naked Griffith dick out, dig out and presumably balls out as well. What a sight, yep, And Griffith's like, ah, being naked and getting drenched in cold water is an excellent way to wake up in the morning, and he's like, would you like to join me? Goots and Goods is like, no thanks, and that's when Griffith throws some water on him. M did you like my goots, Lucy?
Speaker 2: Did you appreciate it? I actually did.
Speaker 3: Do you know what? I been watching the Blu Ray. Thank you to crunchy roll providing uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Control day right yesterday, and I really appreciated it. That what a beautiful blue ray.
Speaker 2: Beautiful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's lovely. Thank you to Control for that.
Speaker 2: Thank you crunchy Roll.
Speaker 3: I like how just got his copy of the Blue Ray? Forgetting that we are on audio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I know I wanted to see something because it wasn't working on my PlayStation and I thought it was like an ntsc PAL thing. But it's no, it's these cm A so dc HP whatever that is. So don't worry about it. It's all good. I really like.
Speaker 1: In this scene, there's a really funny frame where Griffith throws water at guts and.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, what was that. It's all like Gaussian blurred for a second. It's real weird.
Speaker 1: It's Gaussian blurred, except.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like you took a bunch of drugs.
Speaker 1: It's it's not blurred. It's like but it's the effect of being blurred. It's it's it's it's some animator who is told to make it look blurry, and it is, so he just looks squiggly and it's really funny and cute.
Speaker 2: Yeah, his soul leaves his body for a second. It's very bizarre.
Speaker 3: But what I was going to say is that Guts's voice to me, Uh, I expected him to be gruffer, like even more detached.
Speaker 2: I think he has.
Speaker 3: If anything, the voice actor is too good and he has too much emotion. I expect him. I expected Guts to be way more sort of one note.
Speaker 1: I could maybe see that for Goots.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the thing, because I've seen it so like from here, but I mean even a lot happened to him. Hm.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: And so then they proceed to enter the most heterosexual water fight of all time.
Speaker 2: Yep, nothing but straights doing straight things there, Yep, totally.
Speaker 1: And after it, Griffith's like, hey, you know what, I'm going to be a fucking king.
Speaker 3: Yeah. It's just a nonchalant way in which he describes that is so fucked up, And like, Jeff, how did you feel about it? Uh?
Speaker 2: The way he has this confidence about him, What.
Speaker 3: Do you I mean when he when he said like, hey, I have this thing around my neck, it means I'm going to rule the world one day.
Speaker 2: How did you as if that's a thing you just drop mid mid casual conversation, He's like, Uh, this is a pretty badass piece of jewelry, isn't it. You know what it says? There, guts? What's that Griffith, I'm gonna be fucking god one day? Oh I've I thought we broke new ground with our little water fight there, but no, apparently you're a psycho. I am.
Speaker 1: I'm fucking living for this, like berserk fan fiction that Jef's been producing.
Speaker 2: This episode he's putting.
Speaker 4: In the gaps. Yeah in this saying way.
Speaker 2: Yep, thanks. There's also a moment where it gots holds the thing he does and then he sees and remember I was describing this little gem reminded me of like a d MC gem correct correct the right, And I was like the rest of the week read. I was like, oh, there's noses and ears on that thing. That's ugly. And no one said like, yeah, you're right, you guys just all like he kept on talking, you need to put in the back for every fucking little thing. You know what, Sometimes I do, I really do. It feels good I'll try and be more mindful in the future. In the case, I apologize. But yeah, uh, that little nose rock, that little nose orb, that e orbit, one of those eyeballs seems to open up and wink at our boy. And uh, he didn't like that one bit.
Speaker 3: I mean, I didn't like it.
Speaker 2: I don't like any one bit. You can buy that, by the way, if you if you're interested. Oh, I'm sure I could three D print it tomorrow.
Speaker 3: What do you want to do today?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm busy. You could be the king today. And he decided to defer to another.
Speaker 1: Listener that Jeff is wearing a really beautiful T shirt from my patuos dot com.
Speaker 3: And did you just notice that just really slowly took his jacket of.
Speaker 1: It's weird and I'm sure just it's just look, I'm I'm proud to focus that T shirt.
Speaker 3: Like I really love the Ipatchrolls T shirt that I go in the Washington takets to Japan.
Speaker 2: There.
Speaker 1: Look, I always say it, and I feel like I'm all I am chilling. But it good. They're good quality, aren't they like? They feel they feel nice.
Speaker 4: I wear my one when I want something comfy because it's nice and thick, it's got a high threat count.
Speaker 2: YEP, it's me. Let me tell you.
Speaker 1: I had to wade my way through about a dozen really shitty manufacturers before I found that one job. So there's a bit I really like here where like, you know, Good, like Griffith is kind of like, oh, I want to be king, and Good's like, well, that's fucking insane. And I guess this is one of the things I just appreciate so much about because Berserk's character writing, it's like that's an interesting exchange. But then it's like Griffith's sentiment and confidence like has an effect on Goods, and you could see it here where he's like, this dude is like my age and he has a band of like mercenaries and he wants to be king. What the fuck am I?
Speaker 2: Like? What have I been doing? Like I have been? What am I think?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like I have been And then this is where we start to get like a flashback. But I just really appreciate the kind of like have you ever got guys, ever.
Speaker 2: Met anyone like that?
Speaker 1: Where you're like, oh my god, this person has their shit so together and what the fuck am I?
Speaker 2: Nope? I'm still searching for that person.
Speaker 4: I guess you're that person to unlucky Stacey.
Speaker 2: Jesus Nice. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean there are some people where I'm like, damn, how do you get everything done? But then I'm also on a lot of people's close friends stories on Instagram, so I was like, ah, yeah, you're just as messed up as the rest of us, you just hide it much better.
Speaker 2: Mmm.
Speaker 1: I think I remember like getting really into anime and stuff when I was a teenager, and then eventually meeting other teenagers who are into anime and they had been drawing it and I hadn't, and realizing how skilled they were, and I felt really behind. And this really reminds.
Speaker 2: Me of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean, I know. I think there's also like TikTok and YouTubers who love again like shout out to notion again, but I think productivity YouTubers and tiktoks it's just like the ones that I really like watching people clean their houses. But it is so clear that some people keep an immaculate house, but then they mess it up just for the purpose of a video, and so it's like, what are you trying to do? Like you're trying to. I don't know use it's like a social couracter.
Speaker 4: I think when you see people like that are super clean, sometimes you're like, yeah, this person's going together. What you don't realize is the person's going insane trying to keep everything super clean.
Speaker 2: That's what I do. I'm like, the.
Speaker 1: Person I know is fucking insane.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, that's you. How usually if I see things in my.
Speaker 4: Apartment that are like out of place, I will fucking organize and I see the only thing I can think about for ages and I have to go and fix it. No, I have like you can see a paper on my floor currently right now.
Speaker 2: It's driving me mad.
Speaker 1: So Guts is like what I what have I been doing the last four years? And we basically begin the majority the what is the Guts of this episode? In the Get This Big Long Hate look earned the Big Books for a reason.
Speaker 4: Okay, one other thing, having did you notice how like Guts with wet hair in this scene is like looks completely different in demeanor from Guts when he's like got his normal past ole. He looks like softer and like he's got like doe eyes. And they changed the way they draw yeah, they Yeah, exactly, they changed the way they draw him.
Speaker 2: That's lust, my friends. Yeah, that is last. Yeah. Oh thank you Tam for also posting the insane wet photos of drawings.
Speaker 1: The version of wet just to say he actually posted the first one.
Speaker 2: The Guts one. Good job, good job.
Speaker 4: I think the Guts one looks funny, but the one of Griffith looks just insane, is just melted like.
Speaker 3: Pokemon watch John Wick just posted just guys being dud John Looke at work.
Speaker 2: It just gets The.
Speaker 3: Griffith one looks like a cuddly toy version of him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he just to me, he just genuinely looks like the it from Pokemon.
Speaker 1: So we get the We entered this flashback and we basically are told the story of Guts. There's this captain of this like really small time, really ragtag like even much more so than the band of Park, this little bandit group, I guess, this little mercenary group, and how the captain of this mercenary groups like Lady, found Guts his under his dead mother and adopted him, only for her to die shortly thereafter, which made a lot of people think that Guts is cursed and he's his cursed little tiny boy child, and he he just begins following he begins following this guy around, and the dude is an absolute fucking asshole, like just does not seem to care Guts is alive, just not anything. We also get another really great shot here, and it's Guts as a kid, surrounded by warriors and he's just in the center and again he's kind of just cradling the blade.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I mean, did we talk last time about the circumstances in which Guts was born? I think we did, I.
Speaker 1: Think briefly, but it might have got cut because I accidentally entered spoiler territory last time, not realizing it's in this episode.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, the fact that he fell out of his mother's dead hanging body.
Speaker 2: What the fuck? I didn't know that way you're telling me?
Speaker 3: Sorry, Yeah, that's what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Hello? It's it's bizarre, they say it.
Speaker 3: It's like they found him beneath the mother's body and it shows you the picture of the body's hanging in the tree.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, but I don't think it's one of those uncessarily don't worry.
Speaker 1: I don't think it's a lot of sad thing that happens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't think it's one of those things.
Speaker 4: Now because of the nature of this being an adaptation that needs to be viewable on TV. They like they skirt around certain things. I think that's they really they really did gloss over that. I mean, I don't know if they come back to it. I can't remember, but.
Speaker 1: I don't know they think so, Yeah, they leave out of this bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's quite the picture you've painted.
Speaker 1: What is what's goods is not Dad but his man who Gamerina?
Speaker 2: Gambino? Yeah, called Gambino? Fuck Gambino. Yeah, but why is it called Gambino? It's just a name. Why are you called Jeff? No? But like it was a Gambino in this in this world? Like sure, what what would you give it? It's Italian? I think, yeah, I know it's Italian. Yeah, I don't know, just like Thark. He seems like a Thark. Yeah, the h A R K Thark. That what I don't even know. My name is tarc Like what is that? Yeah? That Gambino? Like what is that?
Speaker 4: I think there's something about his legs involved. I think it's like it means, let me google, it's something to do with his legs because I remember it being something irony. I think it means like someone with like a gammy leg, which is ironic given what happens to him.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The Italian word derived from gamba, meaning leg, used as a nickname for someone who has short legs.
Speaker 2: Which I think I might be a Gambino.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which later on obviously we see that. Yeah, we see later on he gets injured. Yeah, he gets injured and is his legs that are mainly her from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And that's basically what happens this. This dude is like I guess, kind of teaching Gots to fight, but he kind of just beats the ship out of him, and the Guts accompanies him on battles. He's a squire until Gambino is has his ass obliterated by can and fire and becomes unable to fight anymore. And there's this, really there's something that I had to scene. I always find that like really upsetting. But it's like Gambino sitting on this hill in a wooden chair stroking his dog, and Guts comes up and he's like, Gambino or I killed the captain. I did it, And he's like, you.
Speaker 2: Got any meat from my dog. Yeah, you know this dog that I've never introduced at all. It's the first time you're seeing this dog that I care about him eating familiar with.
Speaker 1: There's like this kind of thing in Brazik sometimes where like this theme of like the beast, and personally, I think like it's maybe people reaching maybe a little too far. But it's interesting that Cambino does have like a dog here and that it's kind of this negative thing that kind of becomes other things later on.
Speaker 3: It's like he's showing more affection to this dog than he did Guts.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Debino is voiced by the same person that voices the Japanese version of m Bison No shit, yep.
Speaker 1: This is also a scene that has been completely cut from this and again yes, suntent orning here, huge huge content warning.
Speaker 2: And this is this.
Speaker 1: There is a scene that is missing from the anime where Guts is sold to another man for the night. It is deeply upsetting. It is really really horrifying, and it is I think a really important part of Goots's character. I understand if people don't wouldn't want to engage with it, and I can understand the logic of keeping out of this, but I just think there are so few pieces of media that will cover this territory with any degree of I guess the magnitude it needs, and I think Berzerk is totally one of them.
Speaker 2: How are you meant to absorb that dimension with them leaving that out? Is my question?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean like that's one of the that's one of the kind of sacrifices that you make when just watching this, Like it's like I didn't know that was the thing until I read it, and then I was like, oh, ship, I didn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just shocked because it was also left out of the movies yep, and the movies that I first saw, and it's actually been reintroduced in a recall of those movies that was turned into a TV show. I think I think that's true because you're.
Speaker 2: I watched this and I'm like, oh, Thark is just the bad guy.
Speaker 1: You know, dark sucks, Yeah, terrible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he just like he's got he's got like dog problems.
Speaker 4: It kind of feeds into the whole like resentment he holds towards him because of what happened to his wife, and it's it's it just really further emphasizes how cruel and how worthless he he thinks of God says, which in this series. In the animated series, they used the dog to just beat be All in all of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but good old Gambino Dark really shooting for Father of the Year here basically tries to also cut Goots in half at night. Yeah, And I think it's basically like he sees Goots rising up, he sees Goots become a warrior. He is now crippled to the point that he cannot be a warrior. And it's just pure raw resentments and it's really fucked up. And you get this scene where Guts kills Gambino before accidentally setting fire to the tent. He is then pursued by the other bandits who think that Gouts just I guess, decided to do this as opposed to defending himself. And we just get this harrowing scene of Guts escaping in the rain before being attacked by fucking wolves. And it is really just like this kid cannot catch a break, like Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he gets shot in the back with an arrow and then falls down mountain range yep, and then wakes up on ice. Yeah. It's a really actually it's a really beautiful scene.
Speaker 4: I think, Yeah, he also gives up, like there's a moment where he just gives up. But I've had right, I'm done, And then he said, and he kills.
Speaker 2: The wolf, right, And then is that where they ended? That's where they ended pretty much? No, he like screams, He's like yeah, yeah, and then it cuts back to the battle.
Speaker 1: Then then we cut back to like little quota way of just good fighting someone and killing and then we get a really another really beautiful shot of this battlefield absolutely strewn with bodies, like the ground is just covered and our friend Griffith is once again walking along the streets and again Node just dick out once again, no context as to why. And he finds Guts on the battlefield and he's like, hey, used to live. And we get another scene between Guts and Griffith kind of and Guts is again he's got he's doing that cradling of the sword thing. So with the sexual assault scene, one of the things that happens during that scene is Guts reaches for his sword and he can't get to it, and so I think one of the reasons he does hold his sword like that is because like subconsciously he feels like if his sword isn't within reach, really bad things happen. Like that's kind of that's part of his trauma, and so that's why you see him hold the sword like this so.
Speaker 2: Often in these scenes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and at this point, Griffith is kind of imparting on Guts his whole kind of philosophy.
Speaker 2: What do you guys think of this scene? I like it a lot.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's this whole like a charisma element right where he's making Guts rethink his approach to life and slowly winning him over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the whole, like we've.
Speaker 4: It's very relatable, the idea of, like, you know, trying to figure out why you exist and what are the upper limits of what you can do? I'm a various predetermined or not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And Griffith's kind of thing is sort of like he has this line where he says that he's going to choose when Guts dies.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, I didn't like that at all.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna choose when you die, Jeff, I will choose the place you die for me, is what he says. But I think, like I don't think he actually really means that directly. I think that's this dude's way of being, Like, wouldn't you rather have a place in my story like which will be amazing rather than your shitty life?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Okay, sure, I yeah. I mean Gus has not had a good one.
Speaker 1: No, I mean I think if your guts at this point, you're like this, it seems are right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first friendly face I've seen in about seventeen years. So yeah, let's let's let's see it through the next sears.
Speaker 3: One of my favorites old domb sub situation.
Speaker 2: Oh Jesus, Oh my god, Lucy.
Speaker 3: What have you ever see like Secretary or something?
Speaker 2: Dude, I have I've never seen that movie.
Speaker 3: No, Secretary of Rocks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Maggie Gillenhall.
Speaker 1: Yes, James Spader, James Guiden series.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was just that movie. Where's he James Spader's Ultron? Is that the last thing he's been doing? I was I was looking for him the other day. I couldn't find him.
Speaker 3: Looking for him?
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, like what's James Spader up to? Like I sometimes I'll check in on celebrities or actors. I'm just like, what have they done? Like, like, where's Matt Ill? In bin and he was in like a Wes Anderson movie a couple of years ago. It was the last time you popped up.
Speaker 1: You know, we didn't get a little scene with the Is this the scene you were talking about tim with them Guts and Rickert.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's one of my favorites. I love this. What do you look about this?
Speaker 4: It's just like a little bit of comedy and Levy. It's the it's the way Pippin pops in at the end.
Speaker 2: I find.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yep, Pippen's kind of bad in a hundred.
Speaker 2: Isn't he? Like, Yeah, he's fantastic. He's just a goofball, big lovable goofball.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, totally. It's always weird. Mura says that of every character in Berserk, he identifies the most with Pippin.
Speaker 4: That makes sense, very like Quiet doesn't say economy of words.
Speaker 2: More like I think a little bit, I think a.
Speaker 4: Little actions through emotions, through actions is very Pippin.
Speaker 1: We find out the Guts has been promoted to commander, which is unheard of, and like.
Speaker 2: He's been with these dudes raider comm and.
Speaker 1: Then we cut forward three years and let me tell you our boy Guts put on a little bulk. I ain't no little boy anymore. No, he's a little man.
Speaker 2: Man. We've both got there.
Speaker 3: What's a bulk is? I don't know. Found as found his people?
Speaker 1: Yep, he's found his people and he is whooping ass on the battlefield and people are like, what the fuck is that? And then Griffith emerges as well, and he is also looking grown up and like he knows what he's about, and people are like, holy shit, it's the death of the battlefield. It's Griffith. And then we freeze frame, cut the credits, and that's going to draw this episode to a close. I think, another super super strong episode. I love how much of the series kind of carries through this one. What do you guys think?
Speaker 2: I like these two better than the first two for sure. Much more character building, much more world building, and I'm beginning to place my investments in these characters accordingly. So yep to the moon Baby with Caucus. But yeah, it's it's been sick. These are these have been good. This is a good anime. Just give us, just give us like.
Speaker 1: Ten seconds of Corcus having lost all this money in cryptocurrency.
Speaker 2: I get all these emails that they're telling me, I should be buy long diamond hands and all this riff raff. Yet I've bought thirty thousand coins worth of doge.
Speaker 3: I have slightly giving. It's slightly giving nosferatu.
Speaker 2: Oh, I haven't seen as faratu, so I'm still taking credit for it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: It's not the cryptocurrency, but it's.
Speaker 2: Like the crypto, like it's it's not crypto. Bro cousin took all my money, said, don't worry, Caucus, your money's safe with me to the moon.
Speaker 1: He said, okay, and now you've just seen the guts made a lot of money off ethereum.
Speaker 2: Yeah, this bastard god, how did he know about Ethereum's pop in Q one of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 4: All right, now we have Caucus being realized that he's he's been the victim of a rug pole.
Speaker 2: The moment he realized to a coin.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he so he went all in on hawk to her and he's been rug pulled. This is the moment he woke up and noticed that the rug bull has happened. He's looking at his phone.
Speaker 2: Minus four thousand. What's the meaning of this? I was told guaranteed gaines to a coin trump coin for nothing. I'll be speaking to my crypto bro cousin about this one. I shouldn't do it.
Speaker 1: For this week's episode of Jeff Jeff Bizarre Adventure, thank you everyone for joining us. I think once again we have proved our dominance at the top of the anime podcast.
Speaker 2: Top of the charts, food like that trash Taste. No, I mean that's true. I don't I don't want to fight trash those guys because we'd win.
Speaker 1: They had me because we're fighters, paid for my flight and they were very cool.
Speaker 2: I don't care until they have me as a guest. Yeah, well that's that's totally. That's more. We're saying, where can people find you? You can find me on the trash Taste podcast.
Speaker 4: Uh, I'm everywhere tomorrow, h.
Speaker 2: Lucy James, where can they will find?
Speaker 3: You can find me? Lucy James Games, James dot Games on Blue Sky.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's fine at last, but maybe even not least, Jeff, where can the people find you?
Speaker 2: They can find they can find me at wherever they want to find me at Jeff Backler on most Things on Blue Sky.
Speaker 1: And you're kind of making them work for a little bit Jeff dot x y z on Blue Sky. I think that's it, Jeff. I think you're a good follow on Blue Sky. I've seen a couple of things and I've been.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I agree with you. He's doing all right. That's what I like. I want that lukewarm reaction. That's what I'm after, like passibly positive. You've got it. Hey, that's what I'm after. So thank you. That means a lot this week.
Speaker 1: Why don't you find me on Oh, let's say Twitch, the TV ports slash Super you will or stream most fridays. Guys, I love you. Let's speak into the audience and I love you. Let's speaking to you guys.
Speaker 2: Love you guys too.
Speaker 3: Bye.
Speaker 2: That's an episode. Bye bye, Jeff. Jeff's Bizarre Adventure is hosted by timoor Hussein, Lucy James, John, Super Eye, Patch, Wolf Walsh, and me Jeff Backlar. Our post producer and editor is Jean Luke Sepke. Our logo is designed by Justin Bashan and Jesse O'Brien. Thanks so much for listening. Anim