Speaker 1: You're listening to KF I AM six forty.
Speaker 2: The bill handles show on demand on the iheartradiop.
Speaker 1: Amy.
Speaker 2: Yes, you have an interview with a real live astronaut who is really on the ISS.
Speaker 1: Let us promote it because it is a big deal.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow morning during wake up call, we're going to be talking to Space Force guardian and NASA astronaut, also the commander of the Crew nine mission to the International Space Station, Colonel Nick Haig. And that's happening right at about five point thirty and so we're going to hook up with NASA and Houston and they're going to hook us up to the International Space Station and we're going to talk to Colonel Haig, who we've talked to several times as he was getting ready to go to the Space station. But now that he's up there, we get to talk to him and see how life is whizzing around the Earth in orbit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of neat, So I'm super excited.
Speaker 1: No, you know, it's a real real get in terms of an interview.
Speaker 2: So that's tomorrow with an astronaut on KFI and he's on the International Space Station.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he is awesome. If you've heard wake up Call when we've talked to him before. Wealth of information, super friendly, super knowledgeable, and just I'm, like I said, super excited to talk to him again. I'm going to call him a friend of wake up Call.
Speaker 1: You got it. It's time for Rich Tomorrow Tech Tuesday.
Speaker 2: Rich is heard Saturday eleven to two pm on right Here on KFI every morning, KTLA Television, Instagram at, Rich on tech website, Rich on tech dot TV.
Speaker 1: Good morning Rich, Hey, good morning to Bill boy. We sound happy like happy campers.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: You're bad, actually, because yesterday I was Yesterday I was so jet lagged from coming back from vacation. It was just a god awful mess delays, layovers. All right, So let's get right into it, because there's a lot of stuff to talk about. The one that I'm more most interested in because I hate cats. I'm a dog person. Is you tested a robot kitty litter box? You're impressed with it, and I'm thinking of using it for my dogs or even for me if I want to. You know, if I miss the toilet and I can't quite make it, let's talk about that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean that would be the first me hearing about a human using this. But these, you know, these are pretty popular. And I can't believe you admit that you hate cats, because you know I.
Speaker 1: Don't hate them. But I'm a dog person.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're a dog person.
Speaker 2: I'm one of the people that Trump talked about, you know, eating. No, let's not go there. So tell me about this and why you actually were impressed with it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So I've heard about these for a long time, these automated kitty litter boxes. And I will tell you I would be a cat person if I had a way to keep my house clean with the cats and the kids. They promised that they will scoop the kitty litter, and of course who ends up doing it me, But we foster cats in my house, so we kind of like, you know, just take them for a couple of weeks at a time and get them up to speed and then they get adopted. So anyway, but we've never gotten a cat of our own because they wreck hav it. You know, they leave the litter everywhere. You got to scoop it. There's hair everywhere. Anyway, So we tried out this self cleaning kitty litter box. This is the Nia Casa m one and I knew these things were really expensive, but I was curious, like, are they worth the price because they are kind of an investment. And I will tell you after having this thing in my home for about three four weeks now, it is a game changer. It is completely incredible and it's probably the single best piece of technology I've ever tested that actually impacts your life in a meaningful way. You know, the room boss sort of you know, sort of promise that, but my room gets stuck all the time.
Speaker 4: This does not. This just works.
Speaker 5: It cleans the litter, the cat has a fresh place to go every time, puts all the droppings in a bin underneath it. It tells you when it's time to empty that bin, which is once.
Speaker 4: Every two weeks. And it's super easy. It's like a on automated mode. Hmm.
Speaker 1: And when you said it's expensive, how expensive?
Speaker 5: So the top probably the top seller is seven hundred dollars. That's wild Whisker Literal robot. Yeah, the one I tested is six hundred. But here's a thing. Over Prime Day it got down to as low as four hundred bucks. So I would say you probably want to, you know, wait for this thing to go on sale. It's I think, at four hundred dollars, it's an absolute steal because it is saving you time on a daily basis, saving you time, saving you energy, and you know, the cat seems to love it. It gives you even Bill, you even get a little readout in the app of how long your cat spent in this machine and how much they weigh, so you can actually see if there's like maybe any sort of illness or thing or something wrong with your cat at any point.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's important. How long did your cat sit there crapping? I mean, I cannot think of technology that's more important than that.
Speaker 4: It'll even text you a little video of the process. Bill, you can.
Speaker 1: It's important because that's something I want to see. I got that. Also.
Speaker 2: I want to point something out when you said, and I usually don't hear this from you, very rarely do you have technology that really affects your life in a big way. And this is one of those that will affect your day to day life, probably more than anything you've ever tested. Have you ever had open heart surgery with some new technology?
Speaker 4: No, and I hope not to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, let me.
Speaker 2: Tell you that affects your life just a little bit more. I just wanted to throw that at you. Rich.
Speaker 5: Just look, I'm talking for the average person, Bill, who maybe has not had open heart surgery. But I'm just saying in general, yes, there are millions of things that have affected it.
Speaker 4: Live no.
Speaker 2: No, And I'm just yeah, obviously I'm just jerking your chain here, but that's kind of neat. Now, the other question before we take a break, you only foster cats because of the mess and the cleaning of the litter, etc. Does this change your opinion? Do you get a cat now because of this?
Speaker 5: Honestly, Bill, this is the closest I've ever come to saying yes. So because it is solved the main issue I had, which was kitty litter, scooping kitty litter everywhere because it just gets everywhere. It doesn't with this machine. The only other thing I got to figure out is the cat hair. Cats love to sit on me. I don't know what it is. They come to me. There's four people in my house. They come right to me and rub up all against me and get their hair all over me. And that's something else I need to figure out.
Speaker 1: Okay, And here's what I want to do.
Speaker 2: And I'm just pitching this right now and on the air, because we haven't talked about this. When you do get your cat, we're going to have a contest in terms of naming your cat, and then we're going to choose a winner and the winner will get absolutely nothing, which is always fun when we do contests here on KFI.
Speaker 4: Sounds like a great opportunity for someone.
Speaker 1: It does.
Speaker 2: We'll be back and finish up Rich Ded Moureau and tech Tuesday. The check in with Amy will rename Amy. Oh, that's a great idea.
Speaker 3: Can we just Rich? They do that because they know that you don't love them and they're trying to win you over.
Speaker 5: I know that's what people say, but I okay, yeah, I guess that's it.
Speaker 4: I admit that whatever feeling.
Speaker 2: Hey, I wonder if they're going to do that with dogs, you know, because I'm a little sick of my dog peeing on my leg and we've got to do something about that. Back we go to Rich Demurrow Tech Tuesday. Apple's AirPods and what's going on with that and AirPods. I mean, I would get an Apple AirPod, but I find them very expensive.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they are expensive, but for this new feature, it's actually pretty good.
Speaker 4: So let's see you.
Speaker 5: Can get you can get the general There's obviously various levels of the air pods. The ones that I'm going to talk about right now are the AirPods Pro two, which retail for two hundred and fifty dollars, but they are regularly on sale, including right now for about two hundred dollars. And these are the top of the line AirPods that Apple makes. The cheapest I think is one about one and twenty. So these are getting a feature next week. That's the hearing aid feature. We talked about this back in September when Apple announced this, but now it's actually coming out next week. So if you have the Airpod's Pro too, they will basically be turned into FDA authorized hearing aids with this software update. And so this is going to be a heck of a lot cheaper than a lot of other hearing aids out there. The battery life, I think is the biggest limitation from the early reports I'm seeing of people who.
Speaker 4: Tried this out six hours, So this is not going to be something that's a permanent solution.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, let me ask you when you think about that. So you're already wearing a hearing aid. And now I'm assuming wearing a hearing aid gets in the way of an Apple pod, the iPod or the AirPod. I'm sorry, And how do you do the two at the same time. Do you take out your hearing aid and put it in for six hours, put in the AirPod and then switch it out.
Speaker 4: Aga Well, it's interesting.
Speaker 5: A lot of a lot of the modern hearing aids, like the ones that are very expensive that you get from a doctor, a lot of them actually work with the iPhone, so they've built that functionality in a long time ago where you use them twenty four to seven, so they become you know, you can take phone calls through them, you can listen to audio through them, so you don't really need to take them out. This is more for someone who has low to moderate hearing loss. May not even know that, but you open up the app next week, you take a little hearing test and it will tune these air pods to help you hear better. And so if you're like sitting there going you know what, it is tough for me to hear conversations in a restaurant, or it's tough for me to just hear in general. Let me try this out, and you try it out and you say, Okay, I don't need hearing aids twenty four to seven, but it would help maybe at work when I'm in meetings or something like that. So you can just pop these in. And I think the benefit of the air pods is that they're ubiquitous. You know, so many people are used to seeing them. It's probably not that big of a deal if you're wearing them no matter where you are.
Speaker 1: Do you think there's a market for it?
Speaker 2: I mean, that is really niche stuff the way I see it, And obviously I don't do the kind of research.
Speaker 1: I'm sure Apple doesn't come out with something without really researching it. But do you see that there's a big market for this.
Speaker 4: I could see it being a huge market if you know.
Speaker 5: Look the price tag, I think is what's really interesting here. So these are, you know, like I said, about two hundred dollars compared to thousands of dollars for traditional hearing aids. And it's also convenient. You know, it's a product that many people already use. There's really no stigma attached, you know, hearing aids. If you're thinking of getting them, it's kind of a big deal because you have to go to someone, You've got to take a test. You got to you know, it's a big part of your life. Whereas this you go, Okay, let me just take this test on my iPhone and the comfort of my home. Let me pop these earbuds in, and suddenly I can hear better. So I do think that there's going to be a lot of people that will turn to these. Apple of course did their homework and found that there's you know, like so many people that have you know, undiagnosed hearing issues, and I think that those are the people that are going to turn to something like this. Again, much more casual user, but the use case, the actual help you get from these are equivalent to anything you'd get that's from a doctor. Because it is FDA authorized. I mean, it's a pretty big deal that they've.
Speaker 4: Done so much work into this.
Speaker 2: Okay, one minute, because I spent way too much time on this. And that is the new theft protection feature on your Android.
Speaker 1: On your Android.
Speaker 2: Now, I'm assuming if somebody takes it, who shouldn't, four hundred volts goes through his body instantly and they're electrocuted close close.
Speaker 5: This is this is actually a pretty smart feature. You can turn it on right now on your Android phone if you've done the latest software update. Basically, if someone grabs your phone out of your hand, because theoretically it's unlocked because you were like looking at it, a thief comes by, runs by, grabs your phone, and it's going to start, you know, venmoing themselves or getting into your bank account whatever. This new Android theft protection feature uses the accelerometer on your phone to notice that something's wrong. This person's running away with your phone, and it will not only lock down your phone, but it also will make it so they can't get back in, and then you can also unlock it and do some things remotely. It just basically locks everything down using an algorithm that says, hey, we noticed someone's running away with this lock this unlocked phone.
Speaker 4: Let's uh, let's lock that thing up.
Speaker 1: How does it know that you're not just running around with your phone?
Speaker 4: Well, it could do that.
Speaker 5: I mean it would definitely, you know, if you I'm sure people will try this and see if that works. But the reality is this is an algorithm, so they've tested a whole bunch of different you know, snatching a phone out of someone's hand scenarios, but go to settings, tap Google all Services, theft protection, theft protection, theft detection lock. It's not enabled by default, but it's just one more to keep someone from grabbing your phone, running away and stealing all your information.
Speaker 2: All right, Rich This Saturday, eleven am to two pm KTLA every morning and Instagram at rich on tech website, richontech dot TV. We will catch you next week or I'll hear you on Saturday.
Speaker 4: Thanks Bill, you too, All right?
Speaker 1: Coming up?
Speaker 2: The pollsters completely blew it in twenty twenty? Are they going to be wrong again?
Speaker 1: Coming up in two weeks.
Speaker 2: One of the things that happens during the course of any election, whether it's presidential, senatorial, governorship, etc. Is looking at the polls, and you always get two views of the polls. Who's ever losing in the polls? Who's behind says I don't pay attention to the polls. Who's ever winning in the poll says? Look at the poll numbers, look at the sport I'm getting. So which one is true?
Speaker 1: Both?
Speaker 2: Depending on the year. In twenty twenty, the posters were dead wrong. Twenty sixteen, the posters were closer than they had been in eighty years. So here's the problem with polling is right now, the posters are easy because it is a dead heat. The only voting that counts is in the battleground states California. Waste of time for anybody. California is going Democrat.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 2: We are not going to see television, radio ads, billboards touting one candidate or another, particularly in presidential Why because everybody knows California.
Speaker 1: Now, if you happen to.
Speaker 2: Own a media media outlet, even a small media outlet, in any of the battleground states, do you know that those are Every commercial is sold out everyone. There is no product or corporation that wants to go in and buy a radio ad or a TV ad in those battleground states. Tens of millions, hundreds of millions of dollars being spent.
Speaker 1: So let's look at the polls. Who's ahead.
Speaker 2: Well, if you look at the battleground states, a couple of them in the States they are dead. Even that's former President Trump and Vice President Harris dead. Even others put one or the other ahead, but all.
Speaker 1: Within the margin of error.
Speaker 2: You can flip a coin to see who's going to win on this one.
Speaker 1: It is that close.
Speaker 2: And the pollsters do not want a repeat of twenty twenty in which they are wrong. And so you think in this modern age, between artificial intelligence and algorithms and the way people can be reached via Internet and phone, they would have a good idea of which way the electorate's going to go. Well in reality, no, why because, for example, Republicans who did far better, they're harder to reach.
Speaker 1: Republicans don't pay attention to polls.
Speaker 2: Someone really, I don't, and I'm not a Republican, nor am I a Democrat. I've been unaffiliated ever since I started broadcasting, and that was a lot of years ago. Someone calls me up about the poll. I don't pay attention now, not interested? Would you take a poll?
Speaker 1: I will not.
Speaker 2: I don't want to spend the time. How about internet, No, don't take the time. I won't do it now. The way I don't do it is far greater in numbers among Republicans, and that really screws things up because one of the things the pollsters have a real problem with is reaching those people who otherwise would not tell the poster which way they are going. And so particularly the shift of black and Latino voters going towards Trump that the pollsters are looking at that's never happened before. John Krasnik, a Stanford University political science says, we're headed for more disaster. Why because the new polling methods that they're using, the algorithms and the polling on the internet, et cetera. Frankly, they're unproven in terms of sampling methods. It is not easy. And we all pay attention to the polls I was watching. I watched a couple of national news stations and first off, first story the polls, which way it's going, and it's changing day to day, matter of fact, what does And yesterday, for example, I was listening to ABC with David Muhr, and he started the broadcast with I'm gonna get you the latest poll numbers, and the poll numbers that I quoted, the dead heat, basically the dead heat among the battleground states came off of that, the poll that ABC was involved with. And if you look at the polls that other organization, Pew, CBS, Gallop Poll. I don't know if Gallup is still doing it, but everybody, even the ones that disagree with each other, which we always get, all within the margin.
Speaker 1: So are we going to.
Speaker 2: Pay attention to the pollsters, you know, not this time around, Not this time around, because they have gone from twenty sixteen, the most accurate polling that has ever happened, to twenty twenty one of the biggest disasters that have ever happened.
Speaker 1: And so we'll see what happens this time around.
Speaker 2: All right, I want to end the program, And by the way, I'm taking a handle on the lock calls for the first time in weeks because I've been on a vacation as soon as I out at the end of the show.
Speaker 1: And I'll tell you a little bit more about that when we come back.
Speaker 2: Candy and Halloween, how the two are inextricably connected. You can't have Halloween without Candy. Well, there's a whole history here and why it is what it is today. After the show, which I do Tuesdays and Thursdays, which I haven't done for a few weeks or several weeks I have been on vacation, I take phone calls off the air for a handle on the law. And if you have a marginal legal question which I can answer marginally, call me at eight seven seven five to two zero eleven fifty eight seven seven five to zero eleven fifty and it's Handle on the law answers off the air because sometimes on Saturday we can go to three.
Speaker 1: Hours without a line being open.
Speaker 2: So that's coming up right as I lock out of the show. Now a quick handle history segment. Always a lot of fun. Candy and Halloween get connected. We're gonna spend about two billion dollars Americans on candy during this Halloween season.
Speaker 1: Oh here's a fun fact.
Speaker 2: California Milk per Processors Board said, an average Jacko lanyard bucket, you know the kids carry around, We'll have about two hundred and fifty pieces of candy candy, nine thousand calories, about three pounds of sugar. Who all right, it's go back one hundred years. Boy, Halloween looked different. The biggest difference by the ways trick or treating. That's a recent American invention, and costumes and doorbell ringing and expectation of candy at the door actually happened for the first time in the late nineteen thirties and early nineteen forties. It wasn't until late forties that trick were treating became a national issue, and even then, candy was not the obvious treat. Kids would ring a stranger's doorbell nineteen forty eight and nineteen fifty two and would receive all kinds of stuff coins or nuts, or fruits, or cookies or cakes, toys, small little crappy ones. In the nineteen fifties, kool Aid and Kellogg's promoted their non candy products as trick or treat options. So it took a while for candy to become what it is today. Matter of fact, we go even further back to the early decades of last century, candy didn't have any role to play on a.
Speaker 1: Trick or treat. The trick or treat special day of Halloween and costumes are fairly new.
Speaker 2: So what was it about, let's say one hundred and ten hundred and twenty years ago, Well, boys, specifically, Halloween was the one night of the year when communities generally tolerated pranking.
Speaker 1: Now pranking is is different.
Speaker 2: Back then, mailboxes, fences, street cars, gravestones were partular targets, but it was a mischief issue, not one to do serious damage, and not to gather treats. Halloween also was in the gift giving holiday, and that's become big stuff that you actually gift people for Halloween. I've never understood that while the kids were out there, particularly boys, out there causing all this kinds of mischief, what you would have is Halloween parties with adults.
Speaker 1: And that's recent.
Speaker 2: And really the menus and the amount of the decor and what people did with were actually seasonal fruits, pumpkins, apples particularly important. So when candy makers in nineteen ten nineteen twenties look for ways to grow fall sales, Halloween barely registered as a marketing opportunity. Tell you the big ones Christmas and Easter, those are the big candy events already been established by nineteen hundred. Yet box chocolates, hard candies for Christmas, jelly eggs, molded bunnies for Easter. And I'll tell you what else was a huge candy on candy holiday was Washington's Birthday special mars of pan cherries, cocoa dusted logs.
Speaker 1: It was during the fifties nineteen fifties. The rise of trick or treating.
Speaker 2: Made a holiday perfect for marketing a product associated with kids and fun. Candy easy to buy, easy to distribute, convenient, and it was economical as hell and small, inexpensive candies became really popular. I remember trick or treating as a kid, and I was in a middle class neighborhood, so I'd get the hard candies that were wrapped up, a handful of them, and the real neat ones were the small candy bars. Man, that was big stuff. Now you can go into a very wealthy area and there are kids that are bust into those areas. And you knock on the door of a super wealthy area today trigg or treat and you get a small car.
Speaker 1: Not when I was a kid, that certainly didn't happen.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't until the seventies a candy came to be seen as the only treat, and of course the candy industry went crazy. And it was not wait, it was not their marketing that did it, you know what, It was our fear. We became helicopter parents, and homemade treats pose the risk of tampering, poisoning. Remember the razor blades in the apple.
Speaker 1: Which of course never happened.
Speaker 2: Commercial wrap candy, that's the only way to go about it. Now, the candy manufacturers did try to come up with a holiday that just dealt with candy, and that was in nineteen sixteen, and what they came up with a new holiday call Old Candy Day. You ever heard of it? No, that did not work out. All right, we're done, don't forget. Tomorrow morning at five thirty am, Amy talking to Colonel Haig on the space station. That's a fun interview. And I am taking phone calls starting in just a moment as I lock out after the show, and I'll be taking phone calls off the air for Handle on the law. Call eight seven seven five two zero eleven fifty eight seven seven five two zero eleven fifty for marginal legal advice for your marginal legal questions.
Speaker 1: So we do it again tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Is Neil coming Well, Neil wasn't ill. Neil wasn't feeling particularly good today, So hopefully Neil.
Speaker 1: Comes back tomorrow. Handle and the morning crew.
Speaker 2: This is KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the Bill Handle Show.
Speaker 2: Catch my show Monday through Friday six am in to nine am, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.