Speaker 1: What's the Austin Powers theme song? Is that what this is? It is? But it's it's a Quincy Jones join.
Speaker 2: All right, okay, well that works for the musical theme. On a Monday afternoon. It's a big week, man, bringing me on. Rolls up to rise Eco Stadium, undefeated for Saturday Saturday Night, tilled against the Utah You try, next, guest, good friend of the show, the head coach of BYU. Great to have Kalate satake on a Monday, Coach, Kilate, Happy Monday.
Speaker 1: How you doing?
Speaker 3: What's going on? Spence? How you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm well, man, I appreciate the time.
Speaker 2: So when you wake up on a Monday of a week like this, how does it hit a little bit differently just juxtaposed to your other game weeks?
Speaker 3: Oh? I mean it's I'm actually what was odd was having the bye week last week for both teams, and so that was the harder week to get through. But now that the game week is here, it's it's right around the corner. It makes it a little bit more normal than than what we had to go through with the bie week. But I thought we took took advantage of the extra time that we had extra preparation and really looking forward to this game. I got to take advantage of what we got to get done today, but I'm just really excited for this game, for our players.
Speaker 2: And obviously your wealth. You're well aware of the dynamics that come into play here. And I want to go back to Big twelve media days when I was able to catch up with both you and and a Rod coach a Rod and you both said to me, we will be better, we will be different this year, and eight games later, you certainly have kilatatee. What would you attribute your undefeated start to most?
Speaker 1: Is there one dynamic? Is it preparation?
Speaker 2: Because the interesting thing is you made some transfer portal additions, but you really just grew from within, which is not the model that a lot of people are using these days. So first of all, congrats on the start. How would you explain how this has gone down?
Speaker 3: Well, I think we just had to believe in what we were doing, and we know that the landscape of college football has changed quite a bit. But when it all comes down to it, having the principles, the things that we actually operate by, you have to double down on it. You have a choice to either do it or abandon it, and we decided to stick with what stay the course with what we're doing. We knew what the corrections need to be done, what things we need to do to overcome the deficiencies from twenty twenty three and just went to work. And I could say from January until that moment that we met with you, it was we saw a lot of improvement and a lot of really cool things that happened with our program and with the players, and started to feel a little bit more confident about our opportunities and the possibilities for this year. I didn't know exactly what that meant other than we felt really comment going into this season. You know, we're in a really good spot right now, but that doesn't change the fact that of our approach and the processes that we're trying to work through. We just happened to be eight no at now. But that doesn't really matter. It's just like we've done it every week this season, is move on to the next one and try our best to be at our best so that we can perform and try to get that one this week. We're completely focused on this this ninth game, and just happens to be Utah were really excited about the opportunity. But there's a lot of things that we know we can do better, and we're seeing it. You know that that's a tough task to do it against a tough team like Utah and and to go up to their home and do that, and and uh, you know, we got no choice, man. We got to be able to step up. We see the challenge that that's at hand, and we're hoping that this would get the best out of us.
Speaker 1: So for me, Kalani, it was SMU.
Speaker 2: It was the road win SMU that kind of opened my eyes and I went, all right, there's something going on down there.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I didn't know you were going to be a no, you never know about any of these things.
Speaker 1: But was there as the head coach.
Speaker 2: Was there one seminal moment, one seminal game where you guys were looking around, You're like, all right, this might be real. Does does one thing kind of jump out?
Speaker 3: Well? I think Devin that jumped out to me. The leaders that I saw on the team just this was in camp. I just felt you just felt a difference in the way that these guys that are the closest that they felt to each other and then and then I'm seeing it the way that they're celebrating each other's accomplishments. So then you see somebody making a play, excitement energy that comes from their teammates and even people that are that are in competition for the same spot. That's that's something that's unique and different, and I and Jum enjoying it. And we don't have a lot of big stats that are out there other than we have an unselfish team. And I wish I could take credit for all that, but I have to give a lot of all the credit to our players, our leaders. They've done an amazing job and owning the team and prepping them and preparing them. The preor peer learning has been amazing, and it's it's been awesome for me to coach.
Speaker 2: So your media every Monday after the game has been really impressive. But it's one thing to say we want to make our eighth statement, or we want to make our ninth statement, or we want to win the week. All coaches have some sort of derivative of that, But how do you make that message permeate among the young men that play for you? Because at that age I always talk about college coaches just having a different task in pro coaches simply because sometimes we forget how young these young men are because they're wearing pads and we watch them play the game that we love.
Speaker 1: So how have you.
Speaker 2: Been able to instill the week to week approach in your players?
Speaker 3: Well, I think we've been really consistent as as a coaching staff and in our approach every week, and whether that's this year, last year, and doesn't matter the week, we've been very consistent and then and how we operate. But I think the key is you can either be sad or happy, but there's one thing that has to happen. You have to go to work, and so it doesn't really matter what happened that day you come to practice. There's work to be done and it's really hard. If you run a certain system the way you want it to, it's hard to fake it. So you've got to be here and you got to put in the time. And for some reason, when you just put in the time and you get you start sweating, good things happen and people can feel accomplished. So regards to what's happening outside of the when they answer here, I wanted to be focused on what we're doing and the best way to get a focus is you just got to work really hard. And these guys have answered the call for us to get them to work hard, and that we've been able to build every week. I hope you can do the same thing this week and be consistent. Will we've done so far this year.
Speaker 2: And you've had tremendous consistency under center. And in the four games we saw Jake last year, there just were way too many decisions that ultimately led to turnovers that ultimately led to losses.
Speaker 1: And it's been more.
Speaker 2: I look, nobody's perfect, but he's been so much better this year, a year older, a year evolved. Obviously, your wide receiver room is, in my opinion, as deep as anyone that I've seen.
Speaker 1: So he certainly has targets.
Speaker 2: You've got three or four capable backs you've had to shuffle through when it comes to the health stuff and a little bit of an injury issue on the O line. Hopefully that's getting hold. But what stands out most to you about the play of your quarterback, Well.
Speaker 3: I just really appreciate his approach to the game, so humble, and he's always willing to learn more, and and part of that learning is that I think we we as coaches, want to want to focus on the negatives. It's like, hey, you got to do this better, got to do that better. But the only thing that he's been able to do is deflect even the praise. And I think we have to do our job is as coaches is the is to definitely give them the negative side what they can improve on. But that's difficult to do without praising them and the things that they've done well. And when we do that, he doesn't ever take it and then and and and turns into pride. He always deflects it to his teammates. And I've been really impressed with his humility and his ability to work, and he's he's been through some tough times, you know what I mean, And and he's had to earn this spot, and so as he wanted the starting spot. You can see that there's a cool dynamic in the in the quarterback room. And I've been really impressed with what a Rod has been able to do with that group. And and Jake's doing some good things now, but he's, like I said, he's not playing perfect. But but I like his his demeanor and I like his mentality and I like the leadership that he's show him to our team. It's been really impressive.
Speaker 2: Had seventeam players score touchdown, You've had eleven players get a pick, You've had eight players get a sack. Like this is an absolute masterclass on depth and complimentary football.
Speaker 1: You're not getting this done with one or two guys.
Speaker 2: I mean that speaks to I suppose the depth you've built up to get ready for this P four challenge.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I think it's just everybody buying into their part. And you're right, it's been. The stats have been kind of spread out throughout everyone in the team, and I think it's just everyone just does buys into their role. It doesn't really matter if your role is a starting role. If you're a backup guy, you got to be ready. You got to be ready for that moment just in case something does happen. And you know what happens, Spence, is you over prepare quite a bit. Imagine if you're a backup player, but you're you're you're the team that you're back of, the person that you're backing up is actually healthy and doing well well. The last thing you want is an injury to happen. But these guys are bought in and they're they're they're focused on what's happening. They're getting mental reps, and they're supporting their teammates, and that's I wish I could take credit for them, but that's that's the stuff that they're doing for the position groups and from their leaders, and they're following the example of their leaders. So to have guys that are the upperclassmen and just be happy with whatever comes their way and not be so focused on the stats. We have to all agree that the one stat matters the most, and that's trying to do whatever we can as a team to get the victory. And it's easier said than done. But I've been lucky that these young men have taken it to heart and that the leaders have taken the task of teaching it to everyone. But they do it by their example as well.
Speaker 2: Certainly, when you blab into a microphone for four hours every day, you're going to get a lot wrong. Claude, I don't know that I've ever been as wrong as I've been about this Utah football team. How surprised are you as far as where we find ourselves up in Salt Lake with a youth sitting at four and four having lost four straight.
Speaker 3: Well, I think, first of all, the dangerous team because you can see the talent and you can see the toughness that's in that program. I think they've gone through some adversity. It happens in college football, and unfortunately the injuries can be a detriment to your program and even the momentum. But I do know one thing about that coaching staff and one thing about those players. They have high character and the ability to fight back. So we're expecting their best shot. We know we'll get their best shot because they don't know any other way, and I just need to make sure that our players and our team and our program show up with our best shot and there was Whatever happens happens. We can just live with the results. But I have a ton of respect and tons of appreciation for the way they play the game. Just we're really looking forward to this matchup and the energy that will be in this game. It's been fun that is back on the schedule again, but you look at the parody that's happened in this conference. You look at last weekend for example. You can't take anything for granted, so you have to just play at your best, and even when you play your best, it may not be good enough and that, but at least you can live with the results. And that's what we're looking forward to getting done, and we'll see what happens. I know that if these guys play their best and then they can live with the results, no matter how it looks on the scoreboard.
Speaker 2: So it's been tough up here with the quarterback stuff, as you know, and coach with has elected to not share who his starting quarterback will be on Saturday, So we know that Brandon Rose and Isaac Wilson will be splitting reps this week. Does that change the way you prepared for Saturday? There's this debate in college football like does that really give you a competitive advantage? Well, Kyle thinks it does and it's not against the rules, so that's how he decides to.
Speaker 1: Go about the messaging.
Speaker 2: How does that affect your game plan as you approach this game not knowing who's under center or maybe you already know.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Well, I think we just I said earlier, over preparing is kind of what you have to do as a coaching staff, and so there's things that we have to do we have to prepare for whoever shows up under center, and that doesn't really matter who could be. But you can plan for anything, whether it's a wildcat situation or they use a number of quarterbacks. I mean, that's there, right. I think coach Wit is right. It's to their advantage. Plus from what you're seeing that they're trying to get guys to earn and compete for a spot. So I'm not worried about how they do it. I'm just focused on what we can do and what we have to react to. It's been good for us to use the extra time because I know they are using the extra week for the buy to get their offense ready, and we have to do our best to get all our three phases ready. And I know that we can count on the battle that's going to always happen in these games. I'm just really looking forward to the matchup and everything, and regardless of who's under center, I know that they have a lot of talent around them. Physical align they have a great tight ends. I can play in a number of them, and then a bunch of skill at wide opposition, and the number of running backs that can run the rock really hard. So this is a tough task for us, and then we're taking it very seriously and we're looking forward to hopefully the challenge is making us to step up and become a better, even step up to another level of play for our side.
Speaker 2: On the other side, Kaladia, as you know, the numbers indicate this is still kind of like a top three defense in the conference. And that's Utah football, that's Kyle Whittingham football. It's also Kloni Satake football, as we know. So when you study their defense, what stands out as far as how they've been able to maintain what they usually do on that side of the ball, Well, it.
Speaker 3: Looks really familiar, you know what I mean. You look at the guys that are in our room and the guys who are working the defense. I know Morgan Scatty, I know coach winning Ham. I know they'll get that team ready, and I know the coach is Lewis Powell and and and Sharif. Those guys are doing a great job, you know, and Swanny, I mean, those guys do a great job at at getting their guys ready. So we've seen it every week and they've been very consistent. They are a defense that is very physical run to well of the ball that's been that way. It's almost like that's just a given, and so for us, we just have to be ready offensively. We have to be ready to take on their best and like I said before, all three phases, we have to be at our best because there are three phases, and you saw are very well coached and they have a lot of talent and a lot of skill. So as we put it all together and we match them up, we'll see what happens on Saturday. Looking forward to the matchup, I'm hoping that this will elevate our game and make us play even better than what we've done before. But I think we're gonna have to play our best ball this weekend.
Speaker 1: Last thing that I know you got to get to. It's all set you loose.
Speaker 2: But I view you as kind of what I perceive to be a leader into this generation of what feels to be a more civil relationship between the two communities.
Speaker 1: Nobody, you're not going to get perfect behavior.
Speaker 2: They're gonna be a couple of idiots that do something stupid. But that shouldn't you know, overshadow what should be a really fun week. It's a week that I love but Claudia, it's a week that some people don't because of the past and the energy and things that maybe have happened that have hurt feelings or what have you. So before I set you loose, just characterize how you hope this week goes leading up to the game and then during the game as well well.
Speaker 3: I think this is how most fans want to be. And you have to remember that I'm a fan at heart, even though I get to be a coach for you know what they did, we lose them mean and I kind of was raised in the in the the Lovelle and mac Era and then those guys were best friends. They really enjoyed each other's company. Even to this day, Patty and and Viki, they all have a great relationship. And so it's it's one of those things that should be celebrated. And when we were not able to play this game, we're going to take an absence because of the conference issues and the realignment. Now that we're the same conference of Power Conference, I think we could take it. Take it a lot of the enjoyment and appreciating each other and just playing the game and leaving it at that. At the game, because this affects a lot of families and a lot of friendships, and it shouldn't be that way. I think there's a way that we can, regardless of the game the result of the game, that we should be civil and still loving and appreciative of each other. Because it's a lot better now that we have the rivalry back and that it's more consistent, and we happen to be in a power conference, so it's something to be celebrated and something to have for a lot of fun with. And I hope that we can not be so toxic anymore and just enjoy each other's company and then even even by chance, root for each other when we're not playing each other.
Speaker 2: Well said, Well, I'm thrilled for your success, my friends, and it's been fun to watch.
Speaker 1: It's real.
Speaker 2: You've answered questions, and I'll wish you the best of luck coming up on Saturday. And I really appreciate your time on a busy day.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you much.
Speaker 3: I appreciate you guys.
Speaker 2: Thanks all right, Kilanie Satake head coach Brigham Young. They roll up here to Salt Lake as a five point twelve four point favorite.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: The line opened at five and it moved down to four and that's where it's remained, which is kind of interesting when I saw five and went oof BYU Road team rivalry game, insane Utah desperation. You can't fake desperation, say it all the time. I would imagine U Tu's gonna come out very, very desperate, not just for a good showing, but they've got to win. Man Utah doesn't win on Saturday. I don't know that they go bowling. Of course it's on the table. And the only thing worse than playing in a throwaway bowl game is not being eligible for one. Of course, different things at stakes for both teams. B. Why you still try to stay clean? Okay, Bill, B? Why you still try to stay clean? And you know, Kalani just referenced the chaos in the Big Twelve over the weekend with Ia State getting God, case State getting God. Fact of the matter is BYU can lose on Saturday, and they're still kind of high speed ahead of the Big Twelve championship game. They might even be able to go two and two over their final four and still make it in. I mean, that's kind of a position they put themselves in. The only other kind Well, I don't know is Houston good, Like we were gonna do our power pole today and my big twelve power pole was going to be BYU won, then everyone else, I don't know, bys won, and then everyone else is tied two to sixteen, like it's Houston good all of a sudden.
Speaker 1: But BYU gets them at home.
Speaker 2: They'll play Kansas at home after Utah that road game against Arizona State's probably a little bit tricky.
Speaker 1: Arizona State's a good team. Kenny Dillingham's done a good job.
Speaker 2: But you know, it really does come down to, you know, Utah fighting to save their season from a Bowl eligibility standpoint and really fighting to save their season to have really, in my opinion, one more good opera tunity in front of this community for something that's real and something that matters, if that makes sense, Because the BYU game matters. I mean I always say it's good, that's gonna be a fun game to go to, and it's the last home game, so honor the seniors and we'll all be there for it. But you know, if if Dorian Singer goes for one to seventy five and three touchdowns against BYU and Utah wins, it just carries a different weight as opposed if he does it against Iowa State, if that matters, And yes, it does feel like we're partying like it's nineteen eighty nine again where Utah football. You know, for a long long time it was like maybe we can go to a bowl and beat BYU and that.
Speaker 1: Was considered success.
Speaker 2: The expectation has changed around here and that makes this season land differently and there's nothing that can be done between now and the end of the season to change that undeniable fact.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure Kyle.
Speaker 2: Would admit that himself, and he all but has in his media availability. But for one day, you have one opportunity to be great in a game that matters to a lot of people. And that's got to be the message to the players this week, who I'm sure are still down in the dumps after losing four straight. I mean, Utah's lost going in, They've lost games going into both by weeks.
Speaker 1: That's got to be hard.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm sure it just resonates and just kind of lingers and stays there.
Speaker 1: And a win on Saturday, it's not going to.
Speaker 2: Change what the season ultimately unfolds into. But for one moment, you can probably win back at community. That right now is I don't know. I feel like the community is very nervous for Saturday. It'll be a fun night. As KALOUDI just outline no matter what, don't forget that. Kickoff time is eight to fifteen. It is on ESPN. You can listen to it, of course as your hume of the youths for more than seventy years here on ESPN seven hundred. Our pregame coverage with Porter Larsen and with Porter Larsen.
Speaker 1: And azekassiata in a bunch of other folks will be stopping by a cast of characters.
Speaker 2: Stop stopping by our tailgates starting at four fifteen on Saturday, so come by and join us.